Author Topic: Guns!  (Read 4824 times)

Vergent

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 2
Guns!
« on: June 02, 2015, 02:08:06 PM »
The NRA has been preaching that having a gun makes you safe.........But, 35 American armed cops die from a gunshot wound for every unarmed British cop that dies from a gunshot wound..........Those statistics are from before 1997 when handguns were made illegal in Britain.......From 1900 to 1997, 55 British cops were shot to death, in the same time frame 9515 U.S. cops were shot to death. Do the math. Here are their names....

https://www.odmp.org/search?name&agency&state&from=1900&to=1997&cause=Gunfire&filter=nok9
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_police_officers_killed_in_the_line_of_duty

Guns make you safe!.......More guns make you safer!......Buy guns today!

Vergent

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Guns!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 02:30:34 PM »
Texas has just passed a law allowing "open carry" for all.

I am expecting lots of "Darwin Awards".

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 07:01:18 PM »
Guns for the Ghetto

Many years ago a NRA affiliated friend showed me an article proving beyond doubt that all that was required for a peaceful, low crime community, was for everyone to be armed to the teeth.
Criminality in urban slums and ghettos was seen as endemic at that time. My solution was to suggest that any well healed, (as well as well armed), NRA members, with an old revolver, hunting rifle or other 2nd Amendment protected item gathering dust, should donate it to a program aimed at reducing crime where this reduction was most needed.

Toys for Tots doesn't deliver toys to affluent neighborhoods and Guns for the Ghetto would bring the joy of gun ownership to those poor,marginalized, urban youth most in need of a safe environment.

Although my friend assured me that the NRA funded research I'd been perusing was 100% accurate, and although he agreed that black and brown urban neighborhoods were not usually the most crime free settings, he somehow wouldn't agree that arming those kids would be advisable.

Terry

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 09:21:53 PM »
I'm going on a "Neighbors on the Block" walk this evening - part of the Tallahassee’s Operation Safe Neighborhoods initiative.  (There have been many shootings in Tallahassee recently.)
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

solartim27

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 75
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 12:26:13 AM »
"The gun is good.  Go forth and kill."
Zardoz
FNORD

Villabolo

• New ice
    • View Profile
    • Global Warming Basics
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 08:51:05 PM »
I wonder what Frivolousz21 would think about this thread.  :)
In the multiversic symphony
In the place of endless possibilities
In the land of dreams we'll meet

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 06:08:52 PM »
Well as long as we are being silly I can explain all this to Vergent.  There is nothing to worry about.

A man whose body was discovered decomposing in a Southern California parking lot last week was believed by his fiancee to be an alien from another world, who had arrived on Earth to save humanity, the woman's attorney said Wednesday.

It's the latest detail in a bizarre death investigation that involves a theory of extraterrestrial intelligence, intrigue -- and a newly found arsenal of guns and ammo inside the man's home, KTLA-TV reported Wednesday....

Investigators were shocked themselves when they showed up this week at the couple's condo -- and found more than 1,200 firearms, 6 tons of ammunition, and $230,000 -- entirely in cash......

Not to worry.  It's just the aliens getting ready for the apocalypse.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2015/07/23/Body-found-after-2-weeks-belonged-to-alien-savior-California-woman-says/4971437635333/
We do not err because truth is difficult to see. It is visible at a glance. We err because this is more comfortable. Alexander Solzhenitsyn

How is it conceivable that all our technological progress - our very civilization - is like the axe in the hand of the pathological criminal? Albert Einstein

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 05:56:22 PM »
Ignoring the point that those who don't live in the US have much better things to do than worry about our gun laws, I thought the below might help make the point that Euro style gun laws have zero prospect of implementation here.  The path we are on, whatever ones opinion of it may be, is the path we are on.  In any case, some years from now when we are much deeper into collapse this cultural outlook may not look so crazy.  Or maybe it will.  But it is going to be that way in any case.

And one can be certain that the trends as described will only get stronger the more we have ISIS inspired attacks and such.   

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2015/07/27/gun-control-americans-increasingly-see-more-guns-as-the-solution-not-the-problem/
We do not err because truth is difficult to see. It is visible at a glance. We err because this is more comfortable. Alexander Solzhenitsyn

How is it conceivable that all our technological progress - our very civilization - is like the axe in the hand of the pathological criminal? Albert Einstein

ChrisReynolds

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • Dosbat
  • Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 10:15:44 PM »
Some time last year, it's terrible to say but I really cannot recall which massacre it was, I made a decision.

You see, the first time some guy rams a screwdriver into the live socket of a power outlet you run over after he's got an almighty shock and you're full of concern.

The next time he does it you suggest that maybe he'd best let you have the screwdriver. But he clings to the screw driver fixes you with a stare of defiance and declares it is his god given right to bear a screwdriver.

So he does it again, again you suggest he give you the screw driver for his own safety. He proudly declares you'll have to prise it from his cold dead hand. OK, if that's the way he wants it.

You walk off and start watching TV, ignoring the occasional flickers of the screen as numbnuts does it again, and again. And with practice you forget about the idiot, perhaps until the smell of cooking (deceased) idiot moves you to action.

And that's where I am. Until the American people demand change and gun control, and mandate their government to enforce it by actively lobbying harder than the NRA, they're all ramming that screwdriver in the socket, and I have decided I don't give a monkey's.

This is quite good, from Bowling For Columbine.

"The gun is good.  Go forth and kill."
Zardoz

Zardoz. In a world where peak oil has hit, climate change has hit, civilisation has collapsed those carrying the torch of civilisation retreat behind their ramparts and sell a 'noble lie' to those they left behind. But one their own reveals the lie as a lie.

It's a seriously dated movie, but still marvellous.