Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: DEADLINE 2018: No New Carbon Infrastructure  (Read 3663 times)

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
DEADLINE 2018: No New Carbon Infrastructure
« on: July 06, 2015, 06:27:56 PM »
http://theleap.thischangeseverything.org/a-hard-deadline-we-must-stop-building-new-carbon-infrastructure-by-2018/

A Hard Deadline: We Must Stop Building New Carbon Infrastructure by 2018

In only three years there will be enough fossil fuel-burning stuff—cars, homes, factories, power plants, etc.—built to blow through our carbon budget for a 2 degrees Celsius temperature rise. Never mind staying below a safer, saner 1.5°C of global warming. The relentless laws of physics have given us a hard, non-negotiable deadline, making G7 statements about a fossil fuel-phase out by 2100 or a weak deal at the UN climate talks in Paris irrelevant.

“By 2018, no new cars, homes, schools, factories, or electrical power plants should be built anywhere in the world, ever again unless they’re either replacements for old ones or are carbon neutral?

Are you sure I worked that out right?” I asked Steve Davis of the University of California, co-author of a new climate study.

“We didn’t go that far in our study. But yes, your numbers are broadly correct. That’s what this study means,” Davis told me...

...if we continue to build new fossil fuel burning stuff at the average rate of the last five years, we’ll make enough new carbon commitments to blow through our 2°C carbon budget sometime in 2018.

“Is that really where we are?” I asked Davis.

There was a pause, and I could hear the happy sounds of children playing from his end of the phone. Eventually Davis said “yes, that’s where we find ourselves.”...

...I sent out emails to leading scientists in different countries practically begging them to tell me I screwed up the math or something. “It’s a different way of looking at where we are but you’ve got it right,” they said.

2018 is less than three years away and hardly anyone is talking about this.
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

ghoti

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 15
Re: DEADLINE 2018: No New Carbon Infrastructure
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 08:01:45 PM »
Very few people are recognizing the urgency but even some politicians get it. Today Ontario's minister of environment and climate change talked about the importance of acting immediately. He made apt analogies as well comparing the 1980's AIDS crisis with the current Climate Crisis.

https://twitter.com/BlueGreenCA/status/618038721263210496

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 08:06:57 PM »
I've been debating that issue with the Breakthru Boyz for the last few days. I keep putting this in front of them:

They keep ignoring me, and then they rewrite history:

https://twitter.com/WaterConnectsUs/status/618116758461902848

P.S. I finally got the merest hint of a mention in an Ecomodernist Storify :o

https://storify.com/MichaelBTI/should-the-poor-be-denied-cheap-energy

https://twitter.com/WaterConnectsUs/status/618120347825643520
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 08:32:55 PM by Jim Hunt »
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 08:25:02 PM »
Anderson is a true hero.

I mostly try not to engage technofantasists, these days. Just too many levels of delusion to try to peal through. Eventually, perhaps, the hard nail of reality will be pounded far enough through their skulls that they will begin to see the light. Or maybe not.
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1159
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 09:22:36 PM »
I was going to post this under the Coal thread, but perhaps it is a better fit here.

Coal Investment Is the Most Urgent Climate Threat
LONDON—The future of coal has come under scrutiny from a perhaps unlikely source—the head of the organisation representing wealthy nations that relied on coal for 32% of electricity generation last year.

Angel Gurría, secretary-general of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), said the scale of new investments in “unabated” coal-fired electricity generation—where greenhouse gases are emitted directly to the atmosphere—posed the most urgent threat to the Earth’s climate.

Speaking in London, he said governments should be sceptical about the benefits of coal for their citizens. They should rethink the role of coal in energy supply, and conduct a more rigorous evaluation of its true costs.
http://m.truthdig.com/report/item/coal_investment_is_the_most_urgent_climate_threat_20150705
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 11:58:35 PM »
Here's the highlights of my latest adventure in the Ecomodernist Cloud Cuckoo Land:

Happily Engaging With Ecomodernists on Solar PV in Haiti

Or not!!!
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg