Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: What's New in Climate Change Acceptance and Action  (Read 278740 times)

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
Re: What's New in Climate Change Acceptance and Action
« Reply #350 on: December 11, 2017, 01:39:58 AM »
How about the Atlantic, or New Yorker, Vanity Fair, Rolling Stone, The Nation, Harper's, Village Voice (now only online)...?

I used to read some of those quite regularly, but now I rarely get any of them in print. No idea how or if they are catching on in whatever format with the middle aged and younger. I think probably not, but...
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #351 on: December 12, 2017, 09:18:06 AM »
I found this article by Mildenberger et al. quite informative on attitudes on climate change and renewable energy across political divides in the USA. Republicans are not as intransigent as is painted.

doi: 10.1007/s10584-017-2103-0

"There remain some states and congressional districts where a majority of registered Republicans think that human-caused global warming is happening or support climate reforms; for instance, a plurality of Republicans in every US state think that global warming is happening (although beliefs that it is human-caused are considerably lower). Republicans also hold heterogeneous climate policy preferences, including widespread support for renewable energy funding and carbon pollution regulation. We find similar levels of heterogeneity among Democrats for many climate attitudes, though substantially lower levels of heterogeneity for some policy support questions. However, since the partisan averageis substantially higher among Democrats, this variation may have less substantial implications for climate policymaking. Democrats in every district and every state think that global warming is happening and support climate and energy policies."

I attach Fig 1d which is the one that surprised me most, that of a majority of Republicans supporting regulation of CO2 as a pollutant.

Open access. Read all about it. Many interesting pictures.

sidd

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #352 on: December 14, 2017, 02:13:28 AM »
U.S. President Just Signed Bill That Says Climate Change a National Security Risk — But Does He Know That?
WASHINGTON (December 12, 2017)—President Donald Trump signed the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) into law today. The act would require the Pentagon to do a report on how military installations and overseas staff may be vulnerable to climate change over the next 20 years.

The following language was included in the act: Climate change is a direct threat to the national security of the United States and is impacting stability in areas of the world both where the United States Armed Forces are operating today, and where strategic implications for future conflict exist.

Below is a statement by Angela Ledford Anderson, director of the Climate and Energy Program at the Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS).

“Does President Trump know that with a stroke of his pen he just confirmed what climate scientists and military officials have been saying for years: climate change is a major threat to U.S. national security and our armed forces overseas?

“The reality is that climate change couldn’t care less about political party affiliation, which is why legislators on both sides of the aisle—especially those on the frontlines of climate change impacts—fought to retain this language in the final bill. ...
https://www.ucsusa.org/press/2017/president-just-signed-bill-says-climate-change-national-security-risk-does-he-know

Because a day later, the Government Accounting Office issued a report saying the Department of Defense isn't doing enough to prepare for climate change:

CLIMATE CHANGE ADAPTATION:
DOD Needs to Better Incorporate Adaptation into Planning and Collaboration at Overseas Installations
https://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-18-206
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #353 on: December 30, 2017, 11:21:45 AM »
Has this been posted?  It’s a sweeping essay from earlier this year in High Country News about one man’s journey through the dysfunction of modern life to find inner peace with the notion of hopeless climate change and ecocide.  At times philosophical, poetic, informative, depressing.  Well worth your time as it covers a range of human experiences and emotions related to life and the environment, and also the despair around climate change.

So what if we’re doomed?
Climate chaos, mass extinction, the collapse of civilization: A guide to facing the ecocide.

http://www.hcn.org/issues/49.12/essay-climate-change-confronting-despair-in-the-age-of-ecocide

“In this state of mind, a few days after the Stockton trip, I came across the work of Paul Kingsnorth, a British writer who called himself a “recovering environmentalist.” He was one of the founders of The Dark Mountain Project, a movement of philosophers, writers and artists that had emerged from the 2008 economic crisis, and he believed the planet was experiencing an “ecocide that nobody seems able to prevent.” Ecocide — the total destruction of our home — seemed inevitable to them, and to me, given the things I’d seen and any number of ongoing catastrophes: mass extinction, climate chaos, flooded coasts, mega-drought; oceans turning to acid, permafrost to muck. We humans are a disastrous species, as bad for the Earth as a meteor strike, and the realization of this had established in me a new kind of sadness, a mixture of guilt and mourning for a loss yet to come. Kingsnorth was one of the few people who seemed to voice a similar pain, and I began following his writing. I eventually moved to Colorado, and, not long after, saw that Kingsnorth was hosting a retreat in the Spanish Pyrenees, for “grief in the age of ecocide.” I immediately signed up. Now that my pain had been named, I wanted to understand what to do with it.”
———-
“Something inside me broke somehow,” he said. “I thought, ‘This isn’t working. We’re totally fucked. The machine will go on until it’s killed everything or collapses or both. But the wild world, justice — I still believe in that. What can I do with that?’ ”
———-
“These takers are Marlow’s “conquerors” in Heart of Darkness: “The conquest of the earth, which mostly means the taking it away from those who have a different complexion or slightly flatter noses than ourselves, is not a pretty thing when you look into it too much.” Indigenous people of South America call them “termites.” In Between the World and Me, Ta-Nehisi Coates calls them Dreamers: “Once, the Dreamers’ parameters were caged by technology and by the limits of horsepower and wind. But the Dreamers have improved themselves, and the damming of seas for voltage, the extraction of coal, the transmuting of oil into food, have enabled an expansion, a plunder with no known precedent.”
———
“I’d been thinking a lot about that conversation, and the idea of beauty in general, in Spain. Tompkins, who also knew Kingsnorth, was the epitome of Jeffers’ ethos. But was his work meaningful? And if so, was that only because of its scale? Or was dedication to that kind of beauty merely glorified withdrawal? Where does the establishment of a nature preserve in Patagonia fit with the murder of Michael Brown by police in Ferguson, Missouri, or the drowning of Syrian refugees in the waters of the Mediterranean Sea, or the collateral damage of U.S. drone strikes?”
——
“Consider the portrait series by photographer Nick Bowers, “Scared Scientists.” In it, Bowers takes portraits of researchers as they are interviewed about their greatest fears. The result is a collection of images that captures the low-grade trauma many of us are experiencing. The greatest fear for Shauna Murray, a biological scientist at the University of Technology Sydney, for example, is “reaching four degrees (Celsius) of warming.” “At the moment, we’ve at least 10,000 different papers, completed over 20 years, each using different data sets, and they are all coming to the same climate change conclusions,” she says. “We’ve a weight of evidence that the average person is simply not aware of — and this frightens me. I’d like to think that we’re not going to reach the projected four degrees of warming this century; because I can’t even imagine what that would look like. Eighty years is not that long, and unless we act soon, my seven-year-old daughter will probably have to live through that.” Her portrait looks like something out of war photography: hair mussed, eyes wide in shock, mouth grimacing — a new class of soldier, one traumatized by computer models and visions of a frontline future unknown to most of us.”

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #354 on: December 30, 2017, 01:11:05 PM »
Has this been posted?  It’s a sweeping essay from earlier this year in High Country News about one man’s journey through the dysfunction of modern life to find inner peace with the notion of hopeless climate change and ecocide.  At times philosophical, poetic, informative, depressing.  Well worth your time as it covers a range of human experiences and emotions related to life and the environment, and also the despair around climate change.

So what if we’re doomed?
Climate chaos, mass extinction, the collapse of civilization: A guide to facing the ecocide.

http://www.hcn.org/issues/49.12/essay-climate-change-confronting-despair-in-the-age-of-ecocide

“In this state of mind, a few days after the Stockton trip, I came across the work of Paul Kingsnorth, a British writer who called himself a “recovering environmentalist.” He was one of the founders of The Dark Mountain Project, a movement of philosophers, writers and artists that had emerged from the 2008 economic crisis, and he believed the planet was experiencing an “ecocide that nobody seems able to prevent.” Ecocide — the total destruction of our home — seemed inevitable to them, and to me, given the things I’d seen and any number of ongoing catastrophes: mass extinction, climate chaos, flooded coasts, mega-drought; oceans turning to acid, permafrost to muck. We humans are a disastrous species, as bad for the Earth as a meteor strike, and the realization of this had established in me a new kind of sadness, a mixture of guilt and mourning for a loss yet to come. Kingsnorth was one of the few people who seemed to voice a similar pain, and I began following his writing. I eventually moved to Colorado, and, not long after, saw that Kingsnorth was hosting a retreat in the Spanish Pyrenees, for “grief in the age of ecocide.” I immediately signed up. Now that my pain had been named, I wanted to understand what to do with it.”
———-
“Something inside me broke somehow,” he said. “I thought, ‘This isn’t working. We’re totally fucked. The machine will go on until it’s killed everything or collapses or both. But the wild world, justice — I still believe in that. What can I do with that?’ ”
———-
“These takers are Marlow’s “conquerors” in Heart of Darkness: “The conquest of the earth, which mostly means the taking it away from those who have a different complexion or slightly flatter noses than ourselves, is not a pretty thing when you look into it too much.” Indigenous people of South America call them “termites.” In Between the World and Me, Ta-Nehisi Coates calls them Dreamers: “Once, the Dreamers’ parameters were caged by technology and by the limits of horsepower and wind. But the Dreamers have improved themselves, and the damming of seas for voltage, the extraction of coal, the transmuting of oil into food, have enabled an expansion, a plunder with no known precedent.”
———
“I’d been thinking a lot about that conversation, and the idea of beauty in general, in Spain. Tompkins, who also knew Kingsnorth, was the epitome of Jeffers’ ethos. But was his work meaningful? And if so, was that only because of its scale? Or was dedication to that kind of beauty merely glorified withdrawal? Where does the establishment of a nature preserve in Patagonia fit with the murder of Michael Brown by police in Ferguson, Missouri, or the drowning of Syrian refugees in the waters of the Mediterranean Sea, or the collateral damage of U.S. drone strikes?”
——
“Consider the portrait series by photographer Nick Bowers, “Scared Scientists.” In it, Bowers takes portraits of researchers as they are interviewed about their greatest fears. The result is a collection of images that captures the low-grade trauma many of us are experiencing. The greatest fear for Shauna Murray, a biological scientist at the University of Technology Sydney, for example, is “reaching four degrees (Celsius) of warming.” “At the moment, we’ve at least 10,000 different papers, completed over 20 years, each using different data sets, and they are all coming to the same climate change conclusions,” she says. “We’ve a weight of evidence that the average person is simply not aware of — and this frightens me. I’d like to think that we’re not going to reach the projected four degrees of warming this century; because I can’t even imagine what that would look like. Eighty years is not that long, and unless we act soon, my seven-year-old daughter will probably have to live through that.” Her portrait looks like something out of war photography: hair mussed, eyes wide in shock, mouth grimacing — a new class of soldier, one traumatized by computer models and visions of a frontline future unknown to most of us.”
Beautiful
My wife had made a study of the soldier poets & some of the same ethos seeps through.

Personally I chose self delusion over defeat. I find it easier to pretend that we'll survive, than to acknowledge that the game was over before I sat down to play.
I sort my trash, limit my travel, and act as though it matters.

Did the last generations of passenger pigeons harbor similar thoughts in their collective memory?
Terry

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 744
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #355 on: December 30, 2017, 07:45:35 PM »
I have been a Jeffers fan for over 40 years. He has been an influence on my poetry and likely my rather dark soul.
I wish the notion of wilderness and walking away from fossil fuels was a bigger part of the modern enviornment movement than ecotourism.
Primitive cultures should be left the space to be primitive and the missionaries put in the caldron. I have no faith in techno solutions , we are just postponing the inevitable.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 05, 2018, 09:41:04 PM »
This should probably be on a thread on "What's New in Climate Change Denial" but I am not going to be the one to create that thread ...

" ... the Interior Department quietly rescinded an array of policies designed to elevate climate change and conservation in decisions on managing public lands, waters and wildlife. "

http://www.hcn.org/articles/climate-change-interior-department-revokes-climate-change-and-mitigation-policies

The recission statement is at

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/4343673/3360-20-20Rescinding-20Authorities.pdf

sidd

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 05, 2018, 10:10:53 PM »
U.S. Climate Advisory Panel Disbanded by Trump Is Revived—But Not By the Feds
Columbia University, New York State, Will Host Previous Federal Effort
In August 2017, the Trump administration dissolved an advisory committee charged with translating the findings of the periodic National Climate Assessment down to practical local and regional levels. The dismissal drew protests from around the country. Now, a private and public coalition has counterattacked, reconstituting the committee with support from Columbia University’s Earth Institute, the state of New York, and other partners.
In August 2017, the Trump administration allowed the committee’s charter to expire, effectively disbanding it. The move followed the administration’s decision to withdraw from the Paris climate accord, and other actions to ignore or deny the effects of changing climate. A fuller National Climate Assessment on the economic and societal implications of the science is due in 2018. But critics of the administration have feared that without the planned added report from the advisory committee, the national assessment would be less useful.

Effective Jan. 1, the Earth Institute has brought on Richard Moss, the former chairman of the Federal Advisory Committee for the National Climate Assessment, as a visiting senior research scientist in the Earth Institute’s Research Program on Sustainability Policy and Management. In his role, Moss will reestablish the panel, and deliver the report that the committee originally set out to write. The Earth Institute is supplying financial and logistical support as well as office space for the effort. The committee is expected to meet in New York in coming months, and produce a draft report for review by experts and the public by the end of June, similar to its original intended schedule.
http://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/2018/01/03/national-climate-assessment-advisory-committee/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 25, 2018, 09:46:58 PM »
“This is what you see when you go to check your weather on @weatherchannel's homepage right now...”
https://twitter.com/blkahn/status/956611882248540163
Photo below.

https://weather.com

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: March 11, 2018, 05:08:58 PM »
Los Angeles Bets That Equity Is the Path to Resilience
LA struggles with inequality and the threat of natural disasters turbocharged by climate change. Its new resilience plan seeks to address both issues at once.
Wildfires, floods, mudslides, earthquakes, tsunamis—the list of natural disasters that haunt Los Angeles reads like the 10 Plagues of Egypt. What’s more, the city’s size and diversity mean that different neighborhoods are vulnerable to different events, and because of the city’s level of inequality, some residents are much better equipped to handle disaster than others.

In response to these challenges, last week the City of Los Angeles, in coordination with the Rockefeller Foundation’s 100 Resilient Cities program, released a resilience strategy. Many of the 96 action items in the new plan follow tried-and-true formulas for mitigating the damage from natural disaster. More resources for seismic safety through the state of California’s “brace-and-bolt” program will help protect older buildings from earthquakes, while increased neighborhood outreach in the hills will complement brush-clearing efforts that prevent wildfires.

Some of the actions are already funded, and the mayor’s office is seeking funding for the rest, both from city funds and from outside partners.

The plan also treats environmental resilience and social equity as interdependent. “The ability of a city to survive and thrive in the face of disaster is as much about its social fabric and social footprint as it is about its infrastructure and its technical treatment of the big risks,” said Michael Berkowitz, president of 100 Resilient Cities. ...
https://www.citylab.com/environment/2018/03/la-bets-that-equity-is-the-path-to-resilience/554993/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: March 25, 2018, 08:31:30 PM »
Australia

‘We want to repower NSW’: thousands rally against coal in Sydney
Exactly a year out from the state election, thousands of people from across New South Wales – including some on horseback – have marched through Sydney, calling for an end to coal seam gas and coal mining and a renewed focus on renewables.

The “Time to Choose” rally, which began at Martin Place, marched to Prince Alfred Park in the city’s south stretching almost 2km along a partially closed Elizabeth Street.

Neha Madhok, from rally organiser 350.org Australia, said people had come from across NSW “to put the state government on notice”.

“We want the state government and the opposition to know that over the next year we are not going to stop talking about climate change, about coal and gas. We want to repower NSW, we want a renewable energy-powered NSW.” ...
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/mar/24/we-want-to-repower-nsw-thousands-rally-against-coal-in-sydney

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: March 31, 2018, 03:51:23 PM »
Gavin Schmidt:

“If someone says they don’t know precisely how much human activity is contributing to climate change, ask them what level of precision they are aiming for and which actual decisions are dependent on that.”
https://twitter.com/ClimateOfGavin/status/979111816054890496

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: April 07, 2018, 08:01:46 PM »
How I Talk to My Daughter About Climate Change
As a reporter covering the environment, I'm all too aware of what the next 50 years could hold. As a 9-year-old, she's not—and for now, she wants to stay that way.
https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2018/04/raising-kids-climate-change/554969/

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: May 07, 2018, 04:32:04 AM »
Skeptics behave greener than climate evangelists:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0272494418301488

"Cluster membership predicted different outcomes: the “Highly Con-
cerned” were most supportive of government climate policies, but least likely to report individual-level
actions, whereas the “Skeptical” opposed policy solutions but were most likely to report engaging in
individual-level pro-environmental behaviors.:

"for recycling, the “Cautiously Worried” reported significantly lower
frequency of recycling than the “Highly Concerned,” who did not
differ from the “Skeptical”; however, for public transportation, eco-
friendly products, and shopping bags, the “Skeptical” reported
significantly greater behavior frequency than the other two belief
clusters."

600 people, geographically representative, USA, self reported ...

sidd

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 07, 2018, 02:51:07 PM »
As Katharine Hayhoe has noted, you can get more people to agree to greener actions by pointing out other arguments (reducing pollution, less expensive) than by saying those actions are necessary to fight climate change.

Bob Wallace

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #365 on: May 07, 2018, 06:15:18 PM »
As Katharine Hayhoe has noted, you can get more people to agree to greener actions by pointing out other arguments (reducing pollution, less expensive) than by saying those actions are necessary to fight climate change.

Those are short term gains/hurts.  Humans evolved in a world in which one paid attention to more immediate needs and dangers and dealt with the future when it arrived.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 15, 2018, 05:27:23 PM »
How to stop a humanitarian disaster before it happens
In an era of increasingly extreme hurricanes, floods and drought, the people in charge of preparing for disasters depend on meteorologists to anticipate where the next catastrophe might strike. Here’s some good news: Meteorologists are coming through, with unprecedented accuracy.

In fact, weather forecasting technology has improved so dramatically that humanitarian organizations can now fund disaster relief before disaster hits. It’s a revolutionary change that could save countless lives. ...
https://grist.org/article/how-to-stop-a-humanitarian-disaster-before-it-happens/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 15, 2018, 06:10:46 PM »
A revolution in aluminum-making may be on the way. Tech giant and heavy aluminum consumer Apple is investing 10 million and will give technical advice to a new venture, Elysis, that intend to make the metal without producing carbon gas. How could this be?

The new process, which Alcoa has been working on since 2009, uses an “advanced conductive material” instead of the carbon material that’s usually used to remove oxygen from aluminum oxide during the smelting process. While carbon-based smelting releases carbon dioxide—a greenhouse gas—the new process releases oxygen.

$188 million will be invested in Elysis by its different stakeholders. Quebec’s provincial government gets a 3.5% stake for $47 million, the Canadian federal government receives no stake for the same investment. Both Alcoa and Rio Tinto put in $43 million for the remaining share. ...
https://electrek.co/2018/05/14/egeb-apple-alcoa-rio-tinto-zero-emission-aluminum-map-turbine-us-uniper-convert-wind-methane/

Apple Makes Greener Aluminum Smelting Push With Rio Tinto and Alcoa
http://fortune.com/2018/05/11/apple-elysis-aluminum-alcoa-rio-tinto-canada/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 06, 2018, 08:51:29 PM »
“Pew polled Americans on what should be NASA's top priority, and guess what the most common response was? Climate science. Yep--that beat out Mars, the Moon, and even monitoring dangerous asteroids. ”
https://twitter.com/themadstone/status/1004421804767793154

Americans Think Climate Research Should Be NASA’s Top Priority
https://earther.com/americans-think-climate-change-research-should-be-nasa-1826604786/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 14, 2018, 12:51:33 AM »
California:

“Last night, Berkeley, CA declared a climate emergency -- committing to not only net zero carbon emissions by 2030, but a *net drawdown*.
This sets the new standard for what those of us with means should be striving for at this critical moment in Earth history. ”

https://twitter.com/ericholthaus/status/1006878824607477760

“BREAKING: @CityofBerkeley City Council unanimously declares a #ClimateEmergency, endorses a just citywide emergency mobilization effort to end greenhouse gas emissions as quickly as possible, and calls for a Bay Area town hall. “

Full Text: https://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/City_Council/2018/06_June/Documents/2018-06-12_Item_49_Declaration_of_Climate_Emergency_-_Rev.aspx

https://twitter.com/MobilizeClimate/status/1006784365743964160

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #370 on: June 22, 2018, 04:57:15 PM »
Machine learning may be a game-changer for climate prediction
Psy.Org - June 20, 2018, Columbia University School of Engineering and Applied Science

A major challenge in current climate prediction models is how to accurately represent clouds and their atmospheric heating and moistening. This challenge is behind the wide spread in climate prediction. Yet accurate predictions of global warming in response to increased greenhouse gas concentrations are essential for policy-makers (e.g. the Paris climate agreement).

In a paper recently published online in Geophysical Research Letters, researchers led by Pierre Gentine, associate professor of earth and environmental engineering at Columbia Engineering, demonstrate that machine learning techniques can be used to tackle this issue and better represent clouds in coarse resolution (~100km) climate models, with the potential to narrow the range of prediction.
Looking forward to this being actually used.
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 28, 2018, 04:18:00 PM »
In the U.S., those who will be most affected by climate change are unfortunately among the population least likely to take action.

“One of the greatest regional political self-immolations in history is the conservative South's total embrace of anti-climate-action politics.”
https://mobile.twitter.com/alexsteffen/status/1012035944524857344
Image below.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #372 on: June 28, 2018, 06:22:28 PM »
Re: Economic Impact Map

Most to-become better-off place on the map:  What does Mineral County, Nevada (population under 5,000) have that the rest of the nation lacks?  (Or: what do they lack now that will be compensated for later?) http://mineralcountynevada.com/

With the sea-level rise issues in Miami-Dade County, Florida (SE corner of the state) [and other counties that have low-lying cities], I am quite surprised they are not in the 'worse than -20%' category.
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

jai mitchell

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 207
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #373 on: June 28, 2018, 06:31:14 PM »

Most to-become better-off place on the map:  What does Mineral County, Nevada (population under 5,000) have that the rest of the nation lacks?  (Or: what do they lack now that will be compensated for later?) http://mineralcountynevada.com/

With the sea-level rise issues in Miami-Dade County, Florida (SE corner of the state) [and other counties that have low-lying cities], I am quite surprised they are not in the 'worse than -20%' category.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-03-29/the-great-nevada-lithium-rush-to-fuel-the-new-economy

The four companies that in 2015 provided 88 percent of the world’s lithium can’t keep up

https://www.siennaresources.com/clayton-valley/

Pure Energy Minerals, which owns the Clayton Valley South project, has recently released an inferred resource of 247,000 tons of lithium carbonate equivalent on the Clayton Valley South project. According to the Pure Energy Minerals Limited website,

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mineral+County,+NV/@38.3371056,-118.5281726,8.35z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x80bd6933115ea9a7:0xeb08f6d2780feb57!8m2!3d38.4343464!4d-118.4863963

Mineral County
Haiku of Futures Passed
My "burning embers"
are not tri-color bar graphs
+3C today

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 28, 2018, 09:29:04 PM »

The Tonopah Solar Project?  :)

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: July 10, 2018, 08:09:45 PM »
Katharine Hayhoe:
Writing the 4th US National Climate Asst this past year, we included a section on paleoclimate analogues for present + future conditions for the 1st time. It was simultaneously the most fascinating & horrifying perspective. Read this blog:  http://richpancost.blogs.bristol.ac.uk/2018/07/09/the-pliocene-the-last-time-earth-had-400-ppm-of-carbon-dioxide/

then 4.2.3 here: https://science2017.globalchange.gov/chapter/4/

https://mobile.twitter.com/khayhoe/status/1016404251742961665

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 120
« Reply #376 on: July 11, 2018, 10:57:38 AM »
Very good indeed, remembered reading and posting from one of the featured papers last year (not in here though...).
https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms14845

Fig4 from that paper also contains the real "floor it" scenario.
Omnia mirari, etiam tritissima.
-
Science is a jealous mistress and takes little account of a man's feelings.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: July 26, 2018, 10:11:20 PM »
The Media’s Failure to Connect the Dots on Climate Change
Why are some major news outlets still covering extreme weather like it's an act of God?
Geoff Brumfiel, NPR’s science editor, vigorously defended the public radio network’s climate coverage. “We’re actively working on a story, trying to see what scientists think all of these events,” he told me on Tuesday. “You don’t just want to be throwing around, ‘This is due to climate change, that is due to climate change.’” I suggested that journalists don’t need to determine whether an event was caused by climate change to make a climate connection—a journalist could merely say climate change makes extreme events such as these more likely. “It’s an interesting question if there should be boilerplate language [in extreme weather stories],” Brumfiel replied.
https://newrepublic.com/article/150124/medias-failure-connect-dots-climate-change

jacksmith4tx

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • Photon mine
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #378 on: July 26, 2018, 10:32:31 PM »

This is a deep dive into climate change and the media just published today:
https://www.carbonbrief.org/media-reaction-2018-summer-heatwaves-and-climate-change
Note: This is more of a global view but is still missing how climate change is covered in places like Russia, China & India.

More US view from a few days ago:
https://www.mediamatters.org/blog/2018/07/12/Major-broadcast-TV-networks-mentioned-climate-change-just-once-during-two-weeks-of-heat-wa/220651
Science is a thought process, technology will change reality.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: July 28, 2018, 01:47:07 AM »

I thought it was just my news feed ;) :  so many articles about the media not mentioning climate change in their coverage of recent heatwaves and wildfires.  So apparently it’s OK to write about not writing about climate change...  but not OK to write about climate change itself?  :-\

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: July 29, 2018, 12:27:20 AM »
Peter Gleick (@PeterGleick)
7/27/18, 11:02 AM
Beware the leap among some news outlets from "climate change isn't news so we won't publish it" straight to "climate change is old news so we won't publish it."
https://twitter.com/petergleick/status/1022859743910551553

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: July 30, 2018, 01:13:53 AM »
U.S.:  the biggest city in the Deep Red/Republican/conservative state of Utah headlines climate change

This was the front page of Utah's @sltrib today! "We now have very strong evidence that global warming has already put a thumb on the scales, upping the odds of extremes like severe heat and heavy rainfall," @StanfordWoods climate scientist Noah Diffenbaugh said.
https://mobile.twitter.com/jkinneberg/status/1023284191549476864
Image below.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 14, 2018, 02:12:53 PM »
Eric Holthaus and Chelsea Clinton are planning to hike in Glacier National Park and discuss how they can act on climate change.

EH:  “This is happening. Can confirm. ❤️ “

https://twitter.com/chelseaclinton/status/1029203548477829120

bluesky

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 70
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #383 on: August 15, 2018, 11:58:40 PM »

https://www.carbonbrief.org/media-reaction-2018-summer-heatwaves-and-climate-change
Note: This is more of a global view but is still missing how climate change is covered in places like Russia, China & India.

More US view from a few days ago:
https://www.mediamatters.org/blog/2018/07/12/Major-broadcast-TV-networks-mentioned-climate-change-just-once-during-two-weeks-of-heat-wa/220651

So there is no chance that July extreme weather events around the world managed to increase public awareness of climate change?
Is it all lost for ever?
I presume this is just another array of extreme events which will be quickly forgotten in merelay one or two months from now.

So, how can we individually and collectively decrease the knowledge gap between the science of climate change and the broad public awareness and  understanding, as climate change is complex and sometimes counterintuitive?

maybe it should be a compulsory subject at school from the early age, but I am sure some contrariants will shout that it is a political subject.

The fact that the ministry of education and other important ministerial office is not bringing this at school, while in the mid 70ies, many ministry of educations around Europe were rising children awareness against the risk of tobacco, tells a lot about the cowardness and short termism of our politicians.

Maybe this should be organised as a grassroot movement to spread awareness and maybe the ASIF community should start doing it?  We all know how urgent it is.
 But yes I can hear the pessimistic, that people are not ready to surrender their way of life, reduce their consumer spending.

If 15-20% of the people among the "wealthiest" countries would quickly start to change their way of life and drastically reduce their consumptions, and set up a grassroot campaign to convince 10% more, that would have a major impact. This is all theoretical and very challenging to implement, but probably the only way to succeed. There is no way, governments would implement policies on time to tackle climate change.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #384 on: August 16, 2018, 05:52:16 AM »
I think many people globally (outside active propaganda circles such as many US right-wingers) are quite aware of the problem, even when lacking a scientific inclination and not following the news closely. "Everybody" knows about climate change. But they feel powerless to do anything about it, maybe hoping for governments to act. But when voting day comes, this will never be the topmost issue.

bluesky

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 16, 2018, 11:43:43 AM »
I think many people globally (outside active propaganda circles such as many US right-wingers) are quite aware of the problem, even when lacking a scientific inclination and not following the news closely. "Everybody" knows about climate change. But they feel powerless to do anything about it, maybe hoping for governments to act. But when voting day comes, this will never be the topmost issue.

Surely, many people have heard about climate change, but I am not sure to which extent they understand the risk, in fact I seriously doubt most of the people grasp the full extent of it . Most of the time they think about it when there is an extreme weather event at their doorstep and then they forget about it very quickly, so it still seems some kind of remote and unpalatable risk in some way, certainly not at the top of their agenda as it is on ASIF. Therefore, education and grassroot movements could be extremely useful, but how to implement is another matter...

bluesky

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: August 16, 2018, 06:44:37 PM »
Associate Professor Kim Cobb, Earth and Atmospheric scientist at Georgia Tech, communicating on CNN about the latest Will Stefen et al "trajectories of the Earth system in the Anthropocene" (discussed on another thread). Very good interview up to the point when she says (around 4 minutish) that it is a win win situation, that we can fix climate change and grow our economy. This is somewhat contradictory with the supporting information, mentioning reducing consumer consumptions as one of the key solution…

This is why the truth is partly twisted to the wider public and people are not aware of the real underlying effort that should be required...unless the scientific community is planning to step up communication by stage. The reality: the wider public is not ready to hear the truth that we need to significantly change our way of life to manage human kind sustainability beyond this century or maybe earlier...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=294&v=VM0jC_3TEUs

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #387 on: August 21, 2018, 05:14:23 PM »
"What's New in Climate Change Acceptance" is every poll says that as time goes by a greater proportion of the public accept AGW and a greater proportion accept that action is required.

"What's New in Climate Change Action" is that since the Paris Accord 2015, those who presume to govern us are at best, watering down action, and at worst, going into reverse gear and actively promoting growth in the use of fossil fuels and.........

The latest.....

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/planet-oz/2018/aug/21/australia-has-no-climate-policy-a-quick-response-to-a-drawn-out-farce

Australia has no climate policy: a quick response to a drawn-out farce
by Graham Readfearn

I needed to write this column really quickly, otherwise we might have had a new prime minister before I’d finished, and the climate policy we don’t have might have changed several times.....When I say we don’t have a climate policy, that is the literal truth.

On Monday the prime minister (goes to check Twitter ... he’s just survived a leadership challenge), Malcolm Turnbull, removed the emissions targets – already too low – from his national energy guarantee.

At the heart of all of this – the putrid rotten core that’s undermined all previous attempts to pull Australia and the world out of its spiral of climate impacts – has been a denial of the science of climate change.

Can the Australian voting public and any fair-minded politician seriously allow the country’s energy and climate “policy” to be dictated by a core led by Tony Abbott – who rejects the science that’s backed by every major scientific institution in the world?

No matter how many winks and screams you get from the conservative commentators, right-wing shock jocks and the alt-right, this is where we are at. Hostage to a groupthink that’s divorced from reality. Some people need to grow a backbone.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: August 22, 2018, 12:05:08 AM »
Alex Steffen on Twitter: As @reynoldsgareth says, the climate crisis is “like the dinosaurs throwing the meteor at themselves.”
https://mobile.twitter.com/alexsteffen/status/1032001952488480769
Image below.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 22, 2018, 04:40:26 PM »
“We are inevitably sending our children to live on an unfamiliar planet.... Courage is the resolve to do well without the assurance of a happy ending.”

The 1.5 Generation
My generation is radically remaking climate activism. Will it be enough?
By Eric Holthaus
A new breed of environmental activist is risking jail time to stop an existential threat to us all. And young people are finding their voices and embracing new versions of old ideas to try to shake the world from its collective stupor.
https://grist.org/article/courage-and-bolt-cutters-meet-the-next-generation-of-climate-activists/

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 120
« Reply #390 on: August 31, 2018, 09:37:20 AM »
Nope, nothin' new.
https://www.chalmers.se/en/departments/tme/centres/ceforced/Pages/default.aspx

With Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden, as a hub, the world’s first global research network looking into climate change denial has now been established.

Scientific and political awareness of the greenhouse effect and human influence on the climate has existed for over three decades. During the 1980s, there was a strong environmental movement and a political consensus on the issue, but in recent years, climate change denial – denying that changes to the climate are due to human influence on the environment – has increased which makes the case for understanding why this is so.   

The comprehensive project: “Why don’t we take climate change seriously? A study of climate change denial”, is now collecting the world’s foremost researchers in this area. In the project, the network will examine the ideas and interests behind climate change denial, with a particular focus on right-wing nationalism, extractive industries, and conservative think tanks. The goal is to increase understanding of climate change denial, and its influence on political decision-making, but also to raise awareness among the general public, those in power, research institutes, and industry.

Right-wing nationalism’s links to climate change denial are a relatively unresearched topic, but Environmental Sociology recently published an article where Hultman and his research colleagues show the connections between conservatism, xenophobia, and climate change denial, through a study in Norway. 

Through the new research project, a unique international collaborative platform for research into climate change denial, Centre for Studies of Climate Change Denialism (CEFORCED), will be established, which will connect around 40 of the world’s foremost scientific experts in the area and pave the way for international comparisons. The platform builds upon the world’s first conference in the subject, which Hultman and Professor Riley Dunlap of Oklahoma State University organized in 2016.

An important foundation of the project will be a broad, interdisciplinary view of climate change denial, linking together different disciplines such as geopolitics, environmental psychology, technological history, environmental sociology, gender research, environmental history, energy policy, environmental humanism and technology and science studies.

“We do not dismiss climate change denial as something limited to, for example, powerful, older men with strong connections to the fossil-fuels industry – even if such organized groups do play important roles. Knowledge of climate change and its causes has been around for a long time, so firstly, we also need to understand the type of reactions and everyday denials that explain why we don’t take the greenhouse effect seriously – even when we see the consequences in front of our eyes.”

Three main focuses

Right-wing nationalism:
    The project will map right-wing nationalist parties in Europe and their arguments around climate change denialism. Among other things, Twitter and other internet discussion groups will be analyzed.

Extractive industries:
    The project will undertake a historical investigation into Sweden’s extractive industries –what they have learned about climate change, and how they have acted, as well as connecting knowledge to international studies into the debate.

Conservative think tanks:
    The project maps out how conservative thinktanks in Sweden analyze and communicate around climate, as well as their connections to lobby groups of similar character.

Different forms of climate change denial

According to earlier research, several forms of climate change denial exist:

Organised:
    Groups such as Klimatsans (Climate Sense) or Stockholmsinitiativet (The Stockholm Initiative) in Sweden, as well as lobby groups like the Heartland Institute in the USA, which supports and spread climate change denial.

Party Political:
    Parties such as the Sweden Democrats, who work against different forms of climate policy.

Response denial:
    For example, when people in positions of power make decisions such as the construction of Sälen airport in the Swedish mountains, running totally counter to the climate policies they claim to support.

Everyday denial:
    When people act as though as they unaware of climate change, and, for example, fly several times a year to foreign countries.

Not surprised about Norwegian men either.
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/23251042.2018.1488516
Our findings resemble those in the US study. A total of 63 per cent of conservative males in Norway do not believe in anthropogenic climate change, as opposed to 36 per cent among the rest of the population who deny climate change and global warming. Expanding on the US study, we investigate whether conservative males more often hold what we term xenosceptic views, and if that adds to the ‘cool dude-effect’. Multivariate logistic regression models reveal strong effects from a variable measuring ‘xenosceptic cool dudes’. Interpreting xenoscepticism as a rough proxy for right leaning views, climate change denial in Norway seems to merge with broader patterns of right-wing nationalism.
Omnia mirari, etiam tritissima.
-
Science is a jealous mistress and takes little account of a man's feelings.

bluesky

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: September 08, 2018, 07:43:24 AM »
BBC is finally taking action to improve communication on climate change, after repeatedly inviting vocal climato sceptics ( e.g. Nigal Lawson a former conservative  Chancellor of the Exchequer, who is heading a climato sceptics think tank and has direct vested interest in coal industry) to debate with climate scientists , for the so called "neutrality" !!!

https://www.carbonbrief.org/exclusive-bbc-issues-internal-guidance-on-how-to-report-climate-change

bluesky

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: September 08, 2018, 08:03:03 AM »
Today is "Rise for climate day" a worldwide event . It seems that something unexpected is happening in France in the wake of the spectacular resignation of the environment minister last who announced that he was quitting the government on a prime time radio program without advising President Macron.
A young unknown guy posted on his Facebook page only a fews days ago so that people would come and rally in the street today. He has already attracted more than 100 000 supports on his Facebook page.
Further , there have been appeals signed by 200 artists and another one yesterday by 700 French scientists including economists so that the government starts to act seriously. Let's see what's happening today.

In the Guardian this morning:
"One of the biggest protests is expected in Paris where up to 100,000 people are expected"

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/sep/07/hundreds-of-thousands-expected-to-join-global-climate-marches-this-weekend

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: September 11, 2018, 01:48:43 PM »
The BBC has accepted it gets coverage of climate change “wrong too often” and told staff: “You do not need a ‘denier’ to balance the debate.”

In a briefing note sent to all staff warning them to be aware of false balance, the corporation has offered a training course on how to report on global warming. The move follows a series of apologies and censures for failing to challenge climate sceptics during interviews, including Nigel Lawson.

The briefing note, obtained by the website Carbon Brief, was sent on Thursday by Fran Unsworth, the BBC’s director of news and current affairs. It includes a statement of BBC editorial policy that begins: “Climate change has been a difficult subject for the BBC, and we get coverage of it wrong too often.”

It then states: “Manmade climate change exists: If the science proves it we should report it.” In the section warning on false balance it says: “To achieve impartiality, you do not need to include outright deniers of climate change in BBC coverage, in the same way you would not have someone denying that Manchester United won 2-0 last Saturday. The referee has spoken.”

-  Damian Carrington, The Guardian, Sep 07, 2018

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/sep/07/bbc-we-get-climate-change-coverage-wrong-too-often

bluesky

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: September 11, 2018, 06:47:03 PM »
Fabrice Nicolino and François Veillerette are to launch an online petition in France to ban all pesticides use in a country which has seen an increase in pesticides use by 12% in farming since 2007, while the "Grenelle de l'environnement" a govermental /NGO road road map set up in 2007 was aiming for a 50% reduction in the meantime.

M. Nicolino and Veillerette are targetting to reach 5 millions signature in 2 years time, and to organise protest on a monthly basis in French main towns for the next 2 years. This is following last Saturday real success of protest on the inaction of French government on climate change and environmental policies, and multiple petition from 200 well known artists and 700 scientists asking the French government to act.

interview of François Nicolino on Franceculture.fr this morning:
https://www.franceculture.fr/emissions/linvite-des-matins/environnement-lheure-de-la-mobilisation-generale

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: September 17, 2018, 08:46:19 PM »
Florence is not the ‘new normal’. We’ve destroyed normal forever.
If each new decade brings its own unique, ever-worsening climate disasters, there won't be any new norms for a long, long time.
By Joe Romm
Because things will keep changing with rising temperatures, with extremes becoming more extreme, there is no point at which one can plausibly say “This is the new normal, and this is what it is going to be like from now on.”

So, the “new normal” catchphrase is utterly misleading to the general reader and should not be used. ...
https://thinkprogress.org/florence-is-not-the-new-normal-weve-destroyed-normal-forever-357881eee59b/

jacksmith4tx

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • Photon mine
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #396 on: September 19, 2018, 05:07:25 AM »
https://www.smartcitiesdive.com/
This website seems dedicated to reporting on cities dealing with the challenges of our changing environment and evolving technology.
Major topics include:
Energy & Utilities, Transportation, Buildings & Infrastructure, Environment Resilience, Governance, Tech & Data

A recent article:
Seattle, Atlanta first winners in American Cities Climate Challenge
Sept. 17, 2018
Dive Insight:

Both Seattle and Atlanta have been leaders in fighting climate change at the city level, and their efforts have been rewarded with this honor from Bloomberg Philanthropies. Atlanta was the first city in the southeast to pass a law around clean buildings, according to MyAJC, and plans to use this challenge to expand its charging infrastructure for electric vehicles (EVs) and pass a Complete Streets ordinance to help make its streets safer for all users.

Seattle, meanwhile, released a climate action plan earlier this year, and will look to use this challenge to create green jobs and further study congestion pricing, among other initiatives. "Seattle has suffered from both increasingly destructive wildfires and extreme rainstorms. Tackling climate action isn't just about investing in the future — it’s about protecting our communities right now," Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan said in a statement. "In Seattle, we’re excited to be part of the solution, pioneering innovative policies that will both reduce our carbon footprint and benefit our city."

This initiative represents a major investment from Bloomberg, who has already donated from his personal wealth to make up for a funding shortfall in the Paris climate accord, which President Trump withdrew the United States from last year.

This is one of a family of websites that provide focused coverage of major segments of the (mostly) US economy.

http://www.fooddive.com/
https://www.wastedive.com/
http://www.ciodive.com/
http://www.utilitydive.com/

The complete list is at https://www.industrydive.com/industries/
Science is a thought process, technology will change reality.

litesong

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #397 on: September 19, 2018, 08:11:40 AM »
We’ve destroyed normal forever........If each new decade brings its own unique, ever-worsening climate disasters, there won't be any new norms for a long, long time.....
With international deaths still mounting from Super Typhoon Mangkhut, the Philippines is the death dealt punishment bullseye, marked by the ever-increasing AGW energy building in the Earth's biosphere. Sixty% to 70%(can that be possible?) of the Philippines' strongest, deadliest, costliest (or whatever adjectives you wish to use) typhoons have occurred within the 21st century. & the Earth is showing that there are many targets outside Bullseye Philippines. 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 09:01:50 AM by litesong »

litesong

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #398 on: September 19, 2018, 09:00:12 AM »
How I Talk to My Daughter About Climate Change
As a reporter covering the environment, I'm all too aware of what the next 50 years could hold. As a 9-year-old(daughter), she's not—and for now, she wants to stay that way.
https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2018/04/raising-kids-climate-change/554969/
Quote from the article:
My daughter is 9—9 and a half(daughter),.....doesn’t want to know about climate change. Not from me, at least. Not yet......
My own responses to climate change have, inevitably, affected my daughter.
///////
When I was 6 years old, playing out in the front yard, with our small town Main Street on our yard's border, I suddenly looked at some of the passing cars' exhaust pipes with little trails of exhaust emitted that disappeared into the air. I knew enough to know that what had "disappeared" was still in the air. I'd been to the smaller city fairly near to us & knew many cars with exhaust pipes puffing, also had "disappearing" stuff. I knew about big cities around the world with millions(more?) of "puffing" cars. At times, I'd stood by idling cars, that smelled bad & made my throat tickle. I didn't like it & believed that adults must be working on the problem to solve it. I grew older & found out that adults were working on........ "some of the problems". & later I discovered that adults were....... NOT "working on the whole problem".
Children know more than you think they know & excellent education teaches them more than "adults know".   
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 09:07:13 AM by litesong »

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: October 14, 2018, 05:35:20 PM »
"If you melt those ice sheets in Greenland and Antarctica, the water levels will rise and come to the level of the Statue of Liberty's elbow," warns astrophysicist @neiltyson as he discusses climate change with @VanJones68 on The Van Jones Show on CNN.
https://mobile.twitter.com/cnn/status/1051243685072068608
Minute+ video clip at the link.