Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Judging the success of the policies and solutions  (Read 2436 times)

NeilT

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 388
  • Likes Given: 22
Judging the success of the policies and solutions
« on: February 13, 2016, 11:55:10 PM »
I was looking back through the Kyoto protocol and the goals and activities of the signatory countries and then trying to map the trend to the success criteria.

In short Kyoto was supposed to stop CO2e growth in it's tracks then, over time, we could work on reducing it.

The reality is somewhat different although I'm only measuring CO2 and not CO2e as I don't have the charts for that, however we know that methane is on the rise well above expectations in the cryosphere, so it's hard to believe it will all be lower.

Checking the NOAA figures for Global CO2 I see the following decadal averaged annual increases in CO2 globally rounded up to one decimal place.

1980's 1.6
1990's 1.5
2000's 1.9

The 2010's, so far, is running at 2.3 for 6 years with the largest rise ever recorded in a single year (3.01), recorded for 2015.

So after all those energy efficient lightbulbs which destroy our vision, all those EV cars, all the Solar installed, wind farms installed and all the Biomas installed, plus all the other bits and pieces, fuel efficiency in cars etc....

We are, today, globally, producing close to 1ppm MORE CO2 every year, on decadal average, than we did when the protocol was signed.

Personally I'd call this an absolute and abject failure of policy, of taxes and of our control of the future for our children and grandchildren.

Personally, every time someone gets up on the TV and talks about what they are doing to curb CO2 growth, I just want to shout LIAR.

I'd also like to know how the EU can justify a 50% tariff on imported Chinese solar components, in order to prop up an expensive and struggling German business producing them, when they are abjectly failing in their goals to reduce global emissions...

Being right too soon is socially unacceptable.

Robert A. Heinlein

johnm33

Re: Judging the success of the policies and solutions
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 12:55:47 PM »
In some ways gov. inaction has a much worse effect. Almost everyone I know thinks that government inaction means there really is nothing much to worry about.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
Re: Judging the success of the policies and solutions
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 04:07:25 PM »
The linked article indicates that experts believe that cascading climate change induced natural disasters will soon (as in later this year) overwhelm international disaster relief measures due to the world's failure to prepare:

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2016/apr/24/world-heading-for-catastrophe-over-natural-disasters-risk-expert-warns

Extract: "The world’s failure to prepare for natural disasters will have “inconceivably bad” consequences as climate change fuels a huge increase in catastrophic droughts and floods and the humanitarian crises that follow, the UN’s head of disaster planning has warned."
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson