Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The 2016 melting season  (Read 2285629 times)

Nick_Naylor

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The 2016 melting season
« Reply #2950 on: July 06, 2016, 01:21:03 PM »
Big churn over the next several days according to Hycom.

I'd expect a bit of export, along with significant breakup of the remaining "solid" pack in the CAB.

Adam Ash

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • The 100 metre line
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #2951 on: July 06, 2016, 01:42:42 PM »
While wind effects on larger floes is understandably less apparent at first, there is no lack of evidence about the way a very large expanse of pack ice can be moved by wind and current to create pressure ridges of very grand scale...

https://libarchive.dartmouth.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/stem229/id/2942/rec/32

This is a photo of a pressure ridge encountered on a line twix about the centre of the Beaufort and Wrangle Island about 50 to 100 km from Wrangle a while back.

So while the inertia is huge, so too is the momentum once it gets moving in a given direction.

seaicesailor

« Reply #2952 on: July 06, 2016, 02:13:57 PM »

Winds over the sea ice at the surface level and at 10 meters should have little or no difference because of the flat nature of sea ice, even flatter than the ocean in the case of high winds. Friction from sea ice is low, or moderate at best in the case of thick MYI broken floes.

I won't speculate too much, but just look at obuoy #14.  I'm not sure of the size of the floe it's on, but it's speed seems to match the winds quite well. 

Just my own observations from watching animations, I agree the larger the floe, the more delayed and muted its response to the wind.  Smaller floes appear to accelerate quicker, and move faster.  But that's over the areas that are mostly "rubble".  The pack ice doesn't seem do this as it's "bonded" together.   I guess what I'm saying is that the surface winds affect the different kinds ice differently, and that strength and persistence also matter.

I'm assuming the wind speed is taken at roughly 2 meters.

First attachment is wind speed.

Second is bouy speed.

http://obuoy.datatransport.org/monitor#buoy14/gps
Thanks, that's interesting.

Just eyeballing it, yes, that seems like a fairly good linear relationship.

Are the units for the ice speed actually mm/s?

If so then, very roughly from comparing the maximum values, a 10 m/s wind ~ 0.7 m/s ice speed. That is, if the units are correct then the ice speed is around 7 percent of the wind speed.
(That is not obviously unreasonable to me.)
Yes the typical drift speed is 10 times to 100 times smaller than wind speed

In fact there is a rough linear relationship drift_speed/wind_speed ~ sqrt(density_air/density_water) ~ 1/30. This comes from balancing wind pull and ocean water drag in a terminal condition. This balance is not accurate, coriolis force appears and an angle between wind and ice drift direction appears; also skin friction coefficient of upper ice surface is different (not very much) than that of the lower ice surface. but serve as an order-of-magnitude rule
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 05:26:56 PM by seaicesailor »

seaicesailor

« Reply #2953 on: July 06, 2016, 02:19:21 PM »
While wind effects on larger floes is understandably less apparent at first, there is no lack of evidence about the way a very large expanse of pack ice can be moved by wind and current to create pressure ridges of very grand scale...

https://libarchive.dartmouth.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/stem229/id/2942/rec/32

This is a photo of a pressure ridge encountered on a line twix about the centre of the Beaufort and Wrangle Island about 50 to 100 km from Wrangle a while back.

So while the inertia is huge, so too is the momentum once it gets moving in a given direction.

Yes, when the winds are sustained for days. April - May 2016. But there is a point that in June the winds were varying in all directions so the biggest floe did not move much.
I dont doubt ridges (not sure how big) were formed in precisely that region (ESS-CAB) in April - May. Andreas made a nice animation showing moving footprints of less radiation due to accumulated ice.

marcel_g

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • Art by Marcel Guldemond
  • Liked: 54
  • Likes Given: 425
« Reply #2954 on: July 06, 2016, 03:53:47 PM »

Perhaps some people have gotten excited, and want to believe they are about to observe something very important in their lifetime, and consequently have convinced themselves of its truth rather than accept that changes take time and can be erratic.

Well said overall, but that quoted bit is hitting the nail on the head. Yes, as a lurker I'd like to see as much signal vs. noise in this forum as possible, but I'd guess that pccp82 is correct that most of us are watching this so closely because there is a chance we are going to see something very important to all aspects of all life on this planet, (it also helps that an Arctic blue sea event will like be a very dramatic event too) happen within our lifetimes. So it's understandable that people are getting excited, even if maybe they should tone it down a bit.

Because the Arctic is so unpredictable and so much of the data is patchy, a big part of this forum ends up being more than just charts and numbers, because there's so much interpretation of what we're seeing involved. We're all trying to figure out what's going on up there because we know the effects are going to be dramatic and far reaching.

*goes back to lurking*

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #2955 on: July 06, 2016, 05:39:49 PM »
Menu:
Roasted Arctic
Dessert:
Baked Alaska

"....and the appointed time came for God to bring to ruin those ruining the earth." Revelation 11:18.

Richard Rathbone

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 388
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #2956 on: July 06, 2016, 06:29:45 PM »

I am still confident that we will fall well short of 2012, and judging by the poll threads many of the long term contributors on this forum feel the same.  I don't think anyone has specifically made predictions on when the gap between 16 and 12 should become evident.  From history I would expect this difference to become evident some time in July.  Past pretenders such as 2006, 2010 and 2014 were all at record low on July 1, and all stalled to be well of record pace by the end of July. 

August can still make a difference in some cases with 2008 moving from well behind 2007 to get briefly within striking distance, and 2012 surging from a neck and neck race with 2007 to a big margin at the end.

I see either the thick stuff in ESS/Laptev holding out, (see Tigertown's baked Alaska plot above which shows some of that area near Wrangel Island is projected never to go above zero in the next 5 days)  which could start to become apparent and cause a stall in the overall drop rate at any point in July, or with a really hot July it could stay the course till August and only fall off record pace when it fails to push into the CAB in August (which I am confident won't happen because all the indicators I've seen so far say there isn't the momentum to do it). Another 2-6 weeks till 2016 is clearly behind 2012 depending on just how favorable or unfavorable the weather is. (It will take a couple of weeks worth of hindsight to be sure the gap has opened, even if its starting to open right now).

The sun is on its way down, June is when the big opportunity is and it didn't happen this year.

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: July 06, 2016, 07:59:40 PM »
Don't forget about the Lena River. It is just now reaching its max. temps. which are usually about 20+ Deg. C. It will stay in that range until about mid August. Add to that that it appears that the land area it runs through is going to be warmer this summer, you can't rule out it having a greater impact on the sea ice in that area close to the delta. This time of year the Lena discharges about 30k-40k cubic meters per second. The water temps. are closely correlated to air temps. with exception to spikes of course.
"....and the appointed time came for God to bring to ruin those ruining the earth." Revelation 11:18.

seaicesailor

« Reply #2958 on: July 06, 2016, 08:21:16 PM »

I see either the thick stuff in ESS/Laptev holding out, (see Tigertown's baked Alaska plot above which shows some of that area near Wrangel Island is projected never to go above zero in the next 5 days)  which could start to become apparent and cause a stall in the overall drop rate ...

Per the plots attached by
Big churn over the next several days according to Hycom.

I'd expect a bit of export, along with significant breakup of the remaining "solid" pack in the CAB.

expect also big big openings in Laptev and ESS mechanically. These are thin ice in shallow seas. But it is true that there wont be much insolation left to make up for how cold Laptev has been this year. Edit: although maybe warmth from continent that has been free of snow for so long yields the heat in July and August.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 08:36:24 PM by seaicesailor »

CraigsIsland

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #2959 on: July 06, 2016, 08:51:15 PM »
sorry all about the potential off-topic stuff from yesterday.

Now I'm curious about permafrost (thaw) readings. Will post if I find anything unusual. If not, back to lurking for me.

bbr2314

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 158
  • Likes Given: 53
« Reply #2960 on: July 06, 2016, 09:34:12 PM »
12z EURO delays the next >980mb cyclone by about a day but it is still in the 980s prior... basically the same system we are dealing with now lingers over the Siberian Seas before recombining with Pac energy to result in the below.

Also, it should be noted that the models now show heat projecting from both North America and the Russian side directly into the CAB... I think the melting out of Kara was very important for this step, as heat from the European/Western Russian side is no longer tempered by any snowcover or ice before it heads into the CAB.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #2961 on: July 06, 2016, 09:48:06 PM »
I think the melting out of Kara was very important for this step, as heat from the European/Western Russian side is no longer tempered by any snowcover or ice before it heads into the CAB.
Your thinking is in line with others who have noted that early continental snow loss and early melting of Peripheral Sea ice support CAB ice loss.
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

effbeh

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: July 06, 2016, 10:00:13 PM »
I should probably lurk some more before daring to post, but curiosity gets the best of me:  After seeing a new record low for maximum extent and 2016 being in the lead for quite some time, did the melting season really lose its momentum and fall back to be close to 2012?  Or is the headstart somewhere embedded in the system and we might be in for some surprises as the melting season progresses?  After all, it took until August before 2012 really showed that it intends to set a new record.

jai mitchell

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 208
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #2963 on: July 06, 2016, 10:15:16 PM »

I am still confident that we will fall well short of 2012

That is certainly a possibility for SIE, however it seems clear that the PIOMAS average September volume will fill right at or slightly below the record and very close to the long-term exponential best-fit trend. 
Haiku of Futures Passed
My "burning embers"
are not tri-color bar graphs
+3C today

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1337
  • Likes Given: 618
« Reply #2964 on: July 06, 2016, 11:07:51 PM »
I should probably lurk some more before daring to post, but curiosity gets the best of me:  After seeing a new record low for maximum extent and 2016 being in the lead for quite some time, did the melting season really lose its momentum and fall back to be close to 2012?  Or is the headstart somewhere embedded in the system and we might be in for some surprises as the melting season progresses?  After all, it took until August before 2012 really showed that it intends to set a new record.
Hi, effbeh, and welcome. Most of the momentum is built up during June, and that has exactly been the time period this year when nothing noteworthy happened with regards to weather conditions (no exceptional heat, no exceptional, persistent high pressure). As for 2012, it showed signs of heading for the records earlier than August (see this blog post I wrote at the time for instance).

Nevertheless, this year may still go low if weather conditions are conducive to large-scale melting as they will be in the next few days.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

magnamentis

« Reply #2965 on: July 06, 2016, 11:20:07 PM »
this looks like a nice little (ice) hurricane LOL

apparently the ice adapts to the prevailing wind pattern somehow or is it just an optical illusion.

however if that would be confirmed that the entire ice cover starts rotating around one point in the cab that would be something new and tell the tale about thin and fragmented (non-solid) ice.

any comment from ice and weather gurus is appreciated be it to back the impression or to
discard it.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 12:33:35 AM by magnamentis »

bbr2314

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: July 06, 2016, 11:27:23 PM »
this looks like a nice little (ice) hurricane LOL

apparently the ice adabts to the prevailing wind pattern somehow or is it just an optical illusion.

however if that would be confirmed that the entire ice cover starts rotating around one point in the cab that would be something new. any comment from ice and weather gurus is appreciated be it to back the impression or to
discard it.
Ha! That is very interesting and I see exactly what you mean. Given we have smaller ice vortices that also look like mini-canes off of Canada, I don't see why this would be impossible.

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: July 06, 2016, 11:36:03 PM »
Shhh! Jim Cantore will hear that word and be on a plane tonight headed toward the North Pole.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 12:00:02 AM by Tigertown »

Shared Humanity

« Reply #2968 on: July 06, 2016, 11:54:34 PM »

Great post Neven, and if ice ends September above 1M KM2 in area, I will apologize. In meantime, we scorch!

And if it ends up over 3M KM2 what will you do?

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #2969 on: July 06, 2016, 11:57:31 PM »
And if it ends up over 3M KM2 what will you do?

He will humbly apologize, I presume.  ;)
The enemy is within

E. Smith

JimboOmega

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2970 on: July 07, 2016, 12:44:11 AM »

This seems to be the central question this year. There's a fairly large (and I'd say growing) contingent, those who focus primarily on momentum, and even moreover June momentum (so important for 2012).  This group argues fact that 2016 didn't do anything exciting in June and even stalled enough to allow 2012 to all but catch up means that it won't beat 2012.

There's also a smaller contingent that likes to bring out hycom models (and low concentration in the center of the pack, slightly on the pacific side) and talk of (supposedly unprecedented) widespread cracking across the entire pack, who view the entire thing on the verge of collapse - or that there are losses that are, as you said, "Embedded in the system", and not directly visible

When June started going slow most people were in the latter camp; neven quoted SIS saying "laughs today, tears tomorrow" when it appeared that the pack was getting spread out into warmer waters (where it would melt). But cloudy weather has earned a fair number of converts.

The former rests its conclusion mostly on visual imagery and hycom; the latter group by area/extent numbers, melt pond extent, "cloudiness" of the weather and the momentum implied by those factors.

It's safe to say, given the state of the measurements available and the state of the science, there is plenty of space for loss to be "embedded" in the system but not visible.... which doesn't mean it's there.

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: July 07, 2016, 01:02:29 AM »
I understand that it is estimated that volume wise the Arctic has about 750km3 more ice than the same time in 2012, but to compare thickness,as an update to see where we are today. No secret where this one came from as the bold letters tell,as I could not find the Navy.mil archives and had to get this second handed.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 03:14:13 AM by Tigertown »

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #2972 on: July 07, 2016, 01:11:02 AM »
What Sam Carana is doing, is WUWT-level stuff, abusing some glitch or inconsistency in a graph or map, and presenting it as a representation of reality. I've read a story about this guy who was mentally unstable and then pushed over the alarmist edge by 'Sam Carana'. That's one of the reasons I'm always caveating and trying to keep some conservatism embedded in my perspective.

There is no chance that this model is representing reality. We'd have more lines of evidence. What 'Sam Carana' is doing, is irresponsible. He's just gambling on a credibility boost.

edit: And anyway, are those images in the comparison from the exact same model, run at the exact same parameters? Or is one from that GLB model thing, and the other one from HYCOM/CICE (I don't know, I'm not keeping a tab on these things, as I only occasionally look at the NRL ACNFS stuff)?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 01:17:20 AM by Neven »
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Michael Hauber

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 168
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #2973 on: July 07, 2016, 01:14:12 AM »

I highly object to your statements. We had a LP in the Arctic break the pack in half and enter the 970s in June. Is that really unremarkable?

I believe that summer LP in the 970s happen most years.  And the ice pack is no more broken in two than it has been in any other recent year.  I'd say more like broken in millions of small pieces as has been happening for as long as I've been watching.
Climate change:  Prepare for the worst, hope for the best, expect the middle.

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: July 07, 2016, 01:20:11 AM »
What Sam Carana is doing, is WUWT-level stuff, abusing some glitch or inconsistency in a graph or map, and presenting it as a representation of reality. I've read a story about this guy who was mentally unstable and then pushed over the alarmist edge by 'Sam Carana'. That's one of the reasons I'm always caveating and trying to keep some conservatism embedded in my perspective.

There is no chance that this model is representing reality. We'd have more lines of evidence. What 'Sam Carana' is doing, is irresponsible. He's just gambling on a credibility boost.

I will take your word on that. I would love to have got the image straight from the archive, but could not find a link. I have no special influence in my reasoning coming from this blog of his, did not really read the article. The GIF actually came straight from the navy.mil site.

P.S. Would be fine by me if someone can get the original image of 2012, July 7, thickness chart.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 01:25:13 AM by Tigertown »

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 894
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #2975 on: July 07, 2016, 01:38:07 AM »
The Barrow cam is back:

Anyone for a swim?
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 894
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #2976 on: July 07, 2016, 01:45:32 AM »
P.S. Would be fine by me if someone can get the original image of 2012, July 7, thickness chart.

Note the different version numbers.
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

jai mitchell

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 208
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #2977 on: July 07, 2016, 01:47:25 AM »
I understand that it is estimated that volume wise the Arctic has about 2000km3 more ice than the same time in 2012

According to the most recent Wipneus PIOMAS graph posted above the monthly average June 2016 is about 750km3 higher than the monthly average June 2012.

Just looking at the graph it appears that the June-Sept 2012 PIOMAS drop was LESS than both the 2010 and the 2015 by about this much.  I am expecting a volume drop that is at least as much as either 2010 or 2015 (and possibly more).

I agree with Neven here.  We have to be careful at this time, not so much that we are not continuing to see unprecedented activity and transformation of the entire globe's climate, and should continue to display our observations, but rather because we are seeing a jump in globally averaged warming that is far beyond that expected for the El Nino event of last Winter and, combined with these several recent studies:

• the Pliocene was 3C warmer than pre-industrial at 400 ppm CO2,
  • that anthropogenic aerosols have a stronger negative impact than previously understood (causing a negative PDO-contributing to the 'pause') which infers a HIGHER climate sensitivity to CO2
  • that previous TCR estimates using recent globally averaged temperature responses undersampled the arctic and therefore underestimated the Transient Climate Response to CO2

. . . show to even the most casual observer that further revisions to the body of climate sciences and forecasting must be made. An that revisions will show that we have ALREADY locked in 2.5C of warming by 2065.

It will likely take some time for this to sink in and a collective response will be formented, in that time however, I would expect to see quite a bit of structural inertia within the scientific community to push back against this objective reality (for at least a year or so).

Haiku of Futures Passed
My "burning embers"
are not tri-color bar graphs
+3C today

JimboOmega

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: July 07, 2016, 01:50:00 AM »
The Barrow cam is back:

Anyone for a swim?

In case anyone is too lazy to zoom in, I did - those white bits are remnants of ice floating by, not whitecaps :)

Paladiea

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2979 on: July 07, 2016, 02:15:02 AM »
Looking at MODIS today and yesterday, there is some evidence that melt pond formation has crept to about 85 degrees latitude. Perhaps I'm wrong and those are clouds...

The most enjoyable way to think about heat transfer through radiation is to picture a Star Wars laser battle, where every atom and molecule is constantly firing at every other atom and molecule.

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2980 on: July 07, 2016, 02:41:12 AM »

Note the different version numbers.
thanx

Also, thanx to jai mitchell for the number correction.

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: July 07, 2016, 02:57:22 AM »
Thank you to jim hunt; now I know that navy.mil does have a snapshot archive and I need to schedule an eye exam. Anyhow, I reworked it straight from the navy's site.

tzupancic

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 21
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #2982 on: July 07, 2016, 03:14:58 AM »
Just a short note regarding the 2016 melting season; based on the data from the multiple sources describing the melt in near real time it appears unlikely that 2016 will experience a record melt. The most relevant questions involve something else. That said, as a Ph.D. Molecular Biologist with 35 years of experience in applied R&D, albeit with 9 years of ‘experience’ following forums like this one, it is fair to ask, ‘what does this guy have to add anyway?’ (Who’s voices should be heard here? … taken seriously?) 

Thus, I have followed with interest the recent hubbub. So, my 2 cents worth; what I have found is that scientific understanding is inherently tentative and incomplete. In practice, I prefer something more akin to ‘a battleground of ideas’. Based on the demonstrated inability of current models to project ongoing events in the Arctic, I would suggest that this complex system is not figured out. Perhaps some novel perspectives would be useful.

I have always liked Linus Pauling's answer to the question, Dr. Pauling, how do you get good ideas? he replied, well, you start by having a lot of ideas, and then you throw out the bad ones.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 05:16:04 AM by tzupancic »

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: July 07, 2016, 03:16:52 AM »
I removed this from the earlier post to prevent any doubts. This came straight from the navy site navy.mil

click to activate

ktonine

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: July 07, 2016, 03:44:02 AM »
So, my 2 cents worth; what I have found is that scientific understanding is inherently tentative and incomplete. In practice, I prefer something more akin to ‘a battleground of ideas’. Based on the demonstrated inability of current models to project ongoing events in the Arctic, I would suggest that this complex system is not figured out. Perhaps some novel perspectives would be useful.

+1

It's interesting to look at thickness maps and concentration maps throughout the melt season and then compare them at different dates with the final extent outline.  I don't find thickness maps to be very useful in this regard, but as the melt season progresses it eventually becomes fairly clear what the final outline will look like - usually a month to six-weeks before we reach minimum.  I.e., during the last week of July we should be able to make pretty good guesses what the minimum will look like.

July 5th is still 3 weeks early to make a decent guess, but here's a comparison of the last three years:

Paladiea

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2985 on: July 07, 2016, 06:12:30 AM »
NSIDC says only the first half of June was slower than average in ice melt.

The second half of June was way above average and the month as a whole was slightly above average.

Which provides evidence that refutes arguments that June as a whole was a dud.

https://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/2016/07/extent-loss-slows-then-merges-back-into-fast-lane/
The most enjoyable way to think about heat transfer through radiation is to picture a Star Wars laser battle, where every atom and molecule is constantly firing at every other atom and molecule.

bbr2314

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: July 07, 2016, 07:44:21 AM »
GLB's output... higher concentrations than ARC but much lower thickness. Looks more accurate to me comparing with satellite, which shows a horror story unfolding across much of the CAB today.

bbr2314

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: July 07, 2016, 07:57:56 AM »
This is insane for early July... truly unprecedented. 2013 had the gaps into the CAB but it still had an intact Beaufort. As Tealight has shown in his thread re: albedo, 2016's cumulative energy uptake anomaly is now greater than any other year's, having surpassed 2012. Given the rough correlation between the year's anomaly and final sea ice #s (both 2007 and 2011 are at about the same spot below 2012 -- probs not a coincidence), it would seem we already have sufficient momentum to overtake 2012's #s. And we still have at least two months of melt to go....!

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: July 07, 2016, 08:32:48 AM »
GLB's output... higher concentrations than ARC but much lower thickness. Looks more accurate to me comparing with satellite, which shows a horror story unfolding across much of the CAB today.

Have you got a link for the glb data?  If that thickness has the same color chart(which it appears to) it is showing markedly thinner ice.

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #2989 on: July 07, 2016, 08:42:00 AM »

bbr2314

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: July 07, 2016, 08:42:00 AM »

Have you got a link for the glb data?  If that thickness has the same color chart(which it appears to) it is showing markedly thinner ice.

I don't know the main page link but here's for thickness:

https://www7320.nrlssc.navy.mil/GLBhycomcice1-12/navo/arcticictn_nowcast_anim30d.gif

And concentration:

https://www7320.nrlssc.navy.mil/GLBhycomcice1-12/navo/arcticicen_nowcast_anim30d.gif

& yes, they are the same scale. Disturbing, to say the least. I think anything purple or lighter should go within the next 30 days, which is about half the remaining pack... and then you can easily say goodbye to at least half of what remains.

It seems like the "arm" that extends N in previous years (last yr a good example per Bremen maps above) exists this year as well, it just got pushed up against the Siberian coast and is now in the process of being severed... attacking the ice on more fronts = more efficient distribution of heat so I guess it makes sense.

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: July 07, 2016, 08:51:01 AM »
 I know DMI which uses HYCOM-CICE model has got to be way off..
Looks like their volumes off too. Maybe they need to re-calibrate their calibrator.

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 120
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #2992 on: July 07, 2016, 09:20:20 AM »
150cm/month seems reasonable to me...
And more re-reading, Rob's own estimate is 8 cm/day 240 per month. Which may be the case for the more isolated (though huge) floes as the Big Block.

Big Block is as large as a small country.
It creates its own micro-climate, specifically below the ice.
On top of that, as pointed out by A-team, Big Block did not move around much over the past month.
So it is much less exposed to bottom-melt than the smaller, broken up, pieces of MYI floating in the Beaufort, even while the FYI and other rubble melts out very quickly in the Beaufort right now.

As I stated before, Big Block will be the last to go in the Beaufort, simply because of its size. It may take another month, but it will go.

Hi Rob!
I would think the same about the micro-climate under the big floes if it wasn't because of the strong turbulent motion of the open water surrounding it.

Secondly, the block has not moved because it is (or was) very thick and its inertia causes to acquire its terminal speed in a time twice or three times longer than other floes with twice or three time less thickness. F = m*a. In April/May this floe acquired high speed because the winds and currents were sustained for days. But now that winds are currents are more erratic, the block just does not move.

PS. Also, the average wind friction per unit area is smaller in a bigger floe (but not so much as could be thought given the difference of size): Overall friction coefficient in a flat plate parallel to a turbulent flow goes as:
CF ~ 0.06 / (Re_x)^0.2
The Reynolds number is Re_x = wind velocity free current W x characteristic length of floe L / kinematic viscosity of air N. This is for a rectangular plate but assume similar friction dependency with typical diameter or length of the floe.
- For a floe with L = 1 Km, Re_x = 4*10^8, CF ~ 0.001
- For a floe with L = 10 Km, Re_x = 4*10^9, CF ~ 0.0007
- For a floe with L = 100 Km, Re_x = 4*10^10, CF ~ 0.0004

Multiply that by (1/2 * density air * wind speed ^2 * floe surface) to get the total pull.
So the average wind pull per unit area in the Big Block is 1/2 of that of a 1 Km size floe. Similar applies for the water drag under the floe (kinematic viscosity being 10 times smaller, but floe relative speed to ocean being 10 times smaller or more than wind velocity); the terminal condition varies, but not much, the reason why a storm separates thick ice with big floes similarly to thinner ice with smaller floes. Coriolis force is stronger for the thicker floe too.

Thanks seaicesailer, that is brilliant !
Indeed the skin drag equations have a factor 1/(SQRT(L)) in them which indeed means that large floes respond slower to wind and current drag than smaller floes.
This explains why "Big Block" does not move around much if the winds are erratic and there is no consistent current one way or the other.

And I like very much that in a separate comment you showed that there is a theoretical basis for the observed (constant, about 1/30) relation between wind speed and floe speed (noted by several posters here, specifically from obuoy 14) since the kinetic viscosity and density of water and air does not change much at these low speeds.

Conclusion: the fact that the floe does not move does not imply much difference of bottom melting w.r.t. smaller floes given the agitation of Beaufort sea.

After all that work, I still do not think you can draw this conclusion.
There are two factors that still need clarification before you can claim that "Big Block" suffers the same bottom melt torture as smaller flows :

1) Big Block did not move around much, which means that the currents and winds were erratic. This means that whatever water flowed below Big Block flowed out quickly again. So it is unclear how far that heat travelled under the ice, and thus there may be large areas underneath Big Block that received no heat at all. Which means that during 'erratic' winds and currents, big floes would receive less bottom heat per unit of area than smaller floes.

2) Even if there was a consistent current underneath the entire Big Block area, it is doubtful that the bottom-melt is uniform. Imagine a floe in a current : There is warm water flowing in from one side, which causes bottom-melt, which cools the water, which flows out on the other side.
Now, as the water flows under the ice, it looses heat (to bottom-melt) so the further it travels under the ice the less bottom-melt it will cause. I don't know how large a floe has to be for this effect (of deminishing bottom-melt) to seriously show up, but the mixed layer is only 20 meters or so, which is puny compared to the 100,000+ meters that water would need to travel underneath Big Block.
The top-layer of water is loosing heat when it travels underneath the ice, and for an ice "field" like Big Block, that effect will reduce bottom melt.

So, based on these two effects, I still claim that Big Block suffered much less bottom-melt than the smaller floes around it, and thus will be "the last floe standing" in the Beaufort.

But it WILL go in the end.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 09:45:49 AM by Rob Dekker »
This is our planet. This is our time.
Let's not waste either.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #2993 on: July 07, 2016, 09:38:12 AM »

The second half of June was way above average and the month as a whole was slightly above average.

https://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/2016/07/extent-loss-slows-then-merges-back-into-fast-lane/

There's the 30-year average, and then there's the 'new normal' average. Here are the JAXA SIE June average daily decrease for the 2007-2016 period:

2007: 66,750
2008: 60,972
2009: 58,760
2010: 76,892
2011: 69,105
2012: 81,368
2013: 68,914
2014: 77,597
2015: 46,452
2016: 48,445

Average of average: 65,534
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Paladiea

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: July 07, 2016, 10:31:45 AM »
1) Big Block did not move around much, which means that the currents and winds were erratic. This means that whatever water flowed below Big Block flowed out quickly again. So it is unclear how far that heat travelled under the ice, and thus there may be large areas underneath Big Block that received no heat at all. Which means that during 'erratic' winds and currents, big floes would receive less bottom heat per unit of area than smaller floes.

If there was rapid flow under the big block, wouldn't that remove any of the fresh meltwater that would have impeded heat flow to the ice itself? If anything, faster currents under the block are more conducive to melting because that brings fresh heat under the block, and removes cold meltwater.

There's the 30-year average, and then there's the 'new normal' average. Here are the JAXA SIE June average daily decrease for the 2007-2016 period:

OK, so compared to recent years, 2016 only beats 2015. That being said, how do we know there wasn't another regime change after 2012? 2013 and 2014 also both had much higher average decrease rates than 2015 in June and yet 2015's minimum was well below both 2013 and 2014. And even then, the latter half of June's average daily decrease was 74,000 which was still above average according to the NSIDC (not sure if JAXA's numbers are different though).

I have a suspicion something else is at play, but I don't have enough information to guess at it.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 10:46:20 AM by Paladiea »

Gray-Wolf

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 131
  • Likes Given: 461
« Reply #2995 on: July 07, 2016, 10:42:28 AM »
I'm still not sure that I'm not seeing an 'evolution' of melt season into the event that will, in time, bring us the yearly 'ice free' basin with June now the month that sees the pack degraded into rubble which is then rapidly eroded over July/early Aug? I'm always surprised at just how fast bits of the pack can just 'blink out' late season? We see isolated 'pods' of wreckage ice just go over a period of days. So why not see this across the pack if it has been denatured over May/June. As ever 'time alone will tell' :)
KOYAANISQATSI

ko.yaa.nis.katsi (from the Hopi language), n. 1. crazy life. 2. life in turmoil. 3. life disintegrating. 4. life out of balance. 5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.

VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS

Paladiea

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: July 07, 2016, 10:55:14 AM »
There definitely is widespread breakup of the pack this year, which I haven't seen in other years, even the ones post-2007...

That in itself is unprecedented enough. We'll have to see how that translates to the minimum. We are in uncharted territory, and I'm not convinced relying on past wisdom will be as useful as others seem to think.

Sourabh

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2997 on: July 07, 2016, 11:00:30 AM »

Neven,

Last two years seem to have "abnormally" low melt rate during June. Does it indicate any permanent shift in Arctic ice melting and freezing cycles? Both years started low winter extent. So, there is not much "easy-to-melt-ice" to begin with. That ice simply did not form during winter unlike other years that would be available for melting during May/June. So despite slow/low/average melting year, 2015 and likely 2016 may end up among the lowest years in terms of extent.

So, along with melting momentum in summar, can there be any "anti-freezing" momentum during early winter due to far more ocean during May/June? If there is more open ocean, that might slow down freezing of ice.

magnamentis

« Reply #2998 on: July 07, 2016, 11:06:12 AM »
In practice, I prefer something more akin to ‘a battleground of ideas’.

i fully concur with the above quoted as long as the underlaying motive for bringing up new ideas is not:

a) headline like doomsday and scaremongering non-sense
b) self-profiling
c) too much out of context ( cherry picked ) reasoning
d) exaggerations that will undermine credibility of the community and/or group as a whole to outsiders etc.

further one can clearly see whether someone comes up with a carefully worded idea, more asking than stating and showing respect to those who know better, or just let loose one balloon after the other in a far fetched hope
to be the only one who could see things right should it ever happen that one of those comes true, see (b) above.

as to record year, yes or no:

this year already is a record year in many ways, just not by the one and only number that seems to count ;)

if this year will end in second place after 2012 without long and strong august and september storms this year as well will be a record year for my understanding (personal view i know) Of course again, just not by definition through "that one and only number"  at least this is the case ast least if we remember that 2012 was an outlier, which until know was somehow commonly agreed upon.

should we see any of those storms like in 2012 it will be a head to head race with unknown outcome. generally i agree and always stated, that this will not be a new september low year without special events and by no means an ice free one. but then this is still the year with the least ice over all, over the season and most of the time
by any numbers, more than 60% if i recall that correctly and over 80% among the first 3 in most parameters.
which is why i say that this year IS already a record year.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 11:11:50 AM by magnamentis »

JayW

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 226
  • Likes Given: 292
« Reply #2999 on: July 07, 2016, 11:16:41 AM »
Wonder what Wipneus' "home brew" says today. 

Attached is the CAB area

https://sites.google.com/site/arcticseaicegraphs/regional
"To defy the laws of tradition, is a crusade only of the brave" - Les Claypool