Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Becoming Vegan.  (Read 10655 times)

Sigmetnow

• ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
Re: Becoming Vegan.
« Reply #100 on: May 17, 2017, 09:10:30 PM »
The importance of labels.  ;D

A climatarian, a reducetarian, and a sustainatarian walk into a bar.

It sounds like the beginning of a joke (and it is*) but it’s also the world we live in now. Those words are just the tip of the iceberg lettuce when it comes to words to describe semi-vegetarians. Any quipster with a keyboard and internet access can coin a new one. Perhaps you prefer vegavore or carnesparsian?

Beneath their silly-sounding veneer, these words reflect a shift in our understanding of what food choices mean. A decade after The Omnivore’s Dilemma planted a stake in the vast middle ground between carnivore and vegan, the quandary of what to eat for dinner hasn’t gotten any simpler — and neither has the quest for the right word to describe the ethical moderate....
http://grist.org/food/climatarian-vegavore-reducetarian-why-we-have-so-many-words-for-cutting-back-on-meat/
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Neven

• Administrator
  • ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #101 on: May 20, 2017, 11:51:11 PM »
I couldn't find that article where they explain how much meat you 'can' eat, CO2-wise, but maybe it was based on the stuff described in this NewScientist article from 2011: Just how much meat can eco-citizens eat?

Butler showed that if every person in the world ate 50 g of red meat and 40 g of white meat per day by 2050, greenhouse gas emissions from meat production would stabilise at 2005 levels – a target cited in national plans for agricultural emissions. That’s about one burger and one small chicken breast per person every two days (The Lancet, DOI: 10.1016/S0140- 6736(07)61256-2).

Butler’s 2007 figures didn’t take into account the fact that we throw out a lot of the animal mass produced because we consider it inedible. Western countries are the biggest offenders: while many cultures are not fazed by a meal of brains or testicles, Butler estimates that Americans and Australians throw out up to half the cow mass they produce.

At New Scientist‘s request, he updated his calculations. He estimates that globally we discard between 5 and 10 per cent of the animal. This means we can only allow ourselves 80 to 85 g of red and white meat, or one burger and one chicken fillet every three days.

That’s an upper limit. Emissions may need to be cut further.

Based on this, I probably still eat slightly too much meat. I think for the three of us we buy around 60 kg of beef per year, and around 30 kg of poultry.

I don't want to talk about the dog (75-100 kg beef per year)...  :-X

Looks like we're going to have to get rid of our CNG-powered car in the coming year and buy better bikes to compensate.
Il faut cultiver notre jardin

Tor Bejnar

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 21, 2017, 12:03:56 AM »
With your new bikes, you'll have to eat more to power them (and we've all been taught by the agricultural industrial complex the importance of eating lots of iron-rich red meat for energy)!  ::)
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things.

sidd

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 21, 2017, 05:46:25 AM »
Find a farmer you like. Get meat off him. Use it as flavoring. A little goes a long way.

I just got two (dressed, with giblets) whole chickens, four dozen eggs, couple pounds smoked sausage from happily raised animals (well until they were quickly and mercifully killed ...) for twenty five US$.

Will last me awhile.

sidd

Sigmetnow

• ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 28, 2017, 03:15:14 PM »
Veganism Skyrockets by 600% In America Over 3 Years To 6% Of Population
The report also touched on German consumers, showing that 44 per cent of this group now follows a 'low meat' diet - another huge increase from 2014's stat of 26 per cent.
https://www.plantbasednews.org/post/veganism-skyrockets-by-600-in-america-over-3-years-to-6-of-population

Sigmetnow

• ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 13, 2017, 09:05:12 PM »
Meet the 'vegan mafia,' a secret group of investors betting on the future of food
- The vegan mafia invests in companies that aim to take animals out of the supply chain.
- Its members are powerful former financiers, entrepreneurs and bio-tech investors.
- This group isn't interested in kale and tofu (well, sometimes it is).
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/11/vegan-mafia-food-investor-network-includes-bill-maris-kyle-vogt.html

Bob Wallace

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 13, 2017, 10:31:37 PM »
I'm really interested in animal-free meat. 

We aren't going to get most people to give up meat.  But if we can offer them something that is meat at a lower price then we can free up vast amounts of land for forestation and greatly lower methane emissions.

The inputs for factory meat must be cheaper than the cost of raising and processing animals.  Make the meat close to the market and things get even more efficient.

Maybe we won't be able to grow 'steak' (at first) but if we can offer people ground beef at an excellent price the demand for steak will drop.

Sigmetnow

• ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 15, 2017, 03:30:35 AM »
Warning: graphic descriptions and images.

Never mind CCTV in slaugherhouses, we need to end the meat and dairy industry altogether
It isn’t just horrific for the animals, producing meat also has a huge effect on the environment and health consequences to humans – even those of us who are vegan

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/meat-dairy-vegan-slaughterhouses-vegetarian-a7891046.html?amp

rboyd

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 16, 2017, 05:01:28 AM »
With the right level of carbon taxes, the price difference between veggies and meat (produced by feeding veggies to animals at a rate of 10:1 for each pound of meat) will significantly increase. Demand follows price.

TerryM

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 16, 2017, 06:02:01 AM »
I probably eat <1# of beef/an. Pork however is a favorite of mine, and eggs.
At my age I'm not going to change my dietary habits. I've considered beef to be bad because of the damage done to riparian lands and basically quit eating them long before I learned of the methane situation.
I think many of us do much better with a high protein diet than with carbs, and I'm not sure that bacon and eggs will ruin the atmosphere. Can we make room for those who like me, eschew our steaks, but chow down on baby back ribs?
Terry

sidd

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 16, 2017, 06:47:02 AM »
Re: eggs and pigs

Chickens are smart. Pigs are smarter. It sickens me to think of the conditions in Confined Animal Feeding Operations (CAFO)

Find some farmers who raise humanely and kill mercifully. It's gonna cost you more, and you might have to eat less meat, but you will sleep better at night, and so will I.

sidd

TerryM

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 16, 2017, 07:13:51 AM »
Re: eggs and pigs

Chickens are smart. Pigs are smarter. It sickens me to think of the conditions in Confined Animal Feeding Operations (CAFO)

Find some farmers who raise humanely and kill mercifully. It's gonna cost you more, and you might have to eat less meat, but you will sleep better at night, and so will I.

sidd

My pork guy keeps litters together in their own sheds until the day comes. He has tours through his farm, which is unusual for Mennonite farmers, and from all accounts they live a decent family life, until the day.
The pork doesn't cost any more than that purchased at the big box stores, but it certainly tastes better. Sausage is a market day treat that his wife and daughter BBQ for the crowd.

Rest easy  ;)
Terry

sidd

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 16, 2017, 08:08:33 AM »
Killing an animal ain't easy. The guidelines for halal/kosher are actually quite reasonable. Sever carotids, jugular and trachea with very sharp knife and bleed out. Temple Grandin has some humane suggestions.

Eat less meat.

sidd

numerobis

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 17, 2017, 03:46:44 PM »
I think many of us do much better with a high protein diet than with carbs, and I'm not sure that bacon and eggs will ruin the atmosphere.

The carbon intensity of foods is a major research topic. Wikipedia has a nice graph from a recent meta-analysis:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-carbon_diet#/media/File:Clune2016_food_lca.svg

(A warning: if you download the Clune 2016 paper from the link in wikipedia, page 20 seems to hang all my PDF readers. Make sure to skip that page.)

Unfortunately that's per kg of foodstuff, not per calorie or per g of protein: notice that 1kg of cheese is deemed to be about 3x worse than 1 kg of milk. But cheese is milk with two thirds of the water driven out -- that process accounts for almost all the difference in CO2e intensity.

When I cross-reference some of their foods with the USDA nutrient database, I get numbers like these:

Per kilo of stuff, g protein, kcal, and kg CO2e:

beef: 194.2 protein / 1980 kcal / 26.61 CO2
        137.02 g CO2 / g protein
         13.43 g CO2 / kcal

chicken: 174.4 protein / 1430 kcal / 3.65 CO2
        20.93 g CO2 / g protein
         2.55 g CO2 / kcal

pork: 168.8 protein / 2630 kcal / 5.77 CO2
        34.18 g CO2 / g protein
         2.19 g CO2 / kcal

egg: 125.6 protein / 1430 kcal / 3.46 CO2
        27.55 g CO2 / g protein
         2.42 g CO2 / kcal

milk: 34.8 protein / 510 kcal / 1.29 CO2
        37.07 g CO2 / g protein
         2.53 g CO2 / kcal

tree nuts (mixed nuts): 155.2 protein / 6150 kcal / 1.20 CO2
        7.73 g CO2 / g protein
        0.20 g CO2 / kcal

chick peas (dry): 223.9 protein / 3870 kcal / 0.77 CO2
        3.44 g CO2 / g protein
        0.20 g CO2 / kcal

In other words: beef is terrible, milk, egg, pork, and chicken are comparable, nuts and chick peas way better than any animal products.

Sigmetnow

• ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 02, 2017, 04:38:27 PM »
"You have a choice Houston, starve to death...or eat vegan."

(ENTIRE CITY OF HOUSTON TAKES A BIG SWIG OF WHISKY)
"I'll see you in hell."
https://mobile.twitter.com/mattoswaltva/status/903834627768324096

Paddy

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 29, 2017, 04:15:54 PM »
Cows produce more methane than previously thought: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/sep/29/methane-emissions-cattle-11-percent-higher-than-estimated

This article finds me at the tipping point of actually turning vegetarian. (And cutting way back on dairy).

sidd

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 06, 2017, 01:31:17 AM »
Greenwald has a stomach turning article on the horrors of factory farming and the powers behind them.

https://theintercept.com/2017/10/05/factory-farms-fbi-missing-piglets-animal-rights-glenn-greenwald/

sidd

magnamentis

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
    • Philosophy Ethics Numerology Mikrocirkulation Vaskular Therapie Gesundheit Blut Gesundheit Schmerzen Multiple Sklerose Diabetes Immunsystem Fibromyalgia Modular Mobile Computing iOS Software OSX Android Custom Rom Rooted
« Reply #117 on: October 06, 2017, 11:09:20 PM »
"You have a choice Houston, starve to death...or eat vegan."

(ENTIRE CITY OF HOUSTON TAKES A BIG SWIG OF WHISKY)
"I'll see you in hell."
https://mobile.twitter.com/mattoswaltva/status/903834627768324096

i have serious doubts whether vegan is really healthy  but then when i see all this processed food in that image perhaps vegan is healthy, just not that way LOL

i'm not an expert in vegan nutrition but this is just what crossed my mind when i saw that shelf.
http://magnamentis.com
Knowledge, Understanding & Insight Are Among The Best Sources For Personal Freedom & Vitality !