Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Spelling  (Read 11262 times)

cesium62

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 33
  • Likes Given: 5
Spelling
« on: April 12, 2016, 02:07:38 AM »
"A bit something on flawed data to not loose the bigger picture as to progress of melting this early in the season."

I hate it when the big pictures get loose.

magnamentis

Re: Spelling
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 03:16:55 AM »
funny you speak out my thoughts. while focusing on the data that are not flawed the development is quite interesting and awesome. i think there will be a few ahh...s and ohhh....s once the graphs are corrected LOL

DoomInTheUK

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 01:57:24 PM »
There's nothing like a bit of miss-spelling or grammatical oddities to bring out the pedant in us.
They're/their/there as well as too/ to/two are frustratingly common, but my personal pet hate is missing the NOT out of "I could care less".

seaicesailor

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 02:16:22 PM »
Please be patient :)
Non native English speakes like myself surely plague their comments with grammar and spelling errors (isn't it? :P). And to add insult to injury the damn phone auto corrector doesnt (oops) help.

Andreas T

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 02:42:08 PM »
Being told I got something wrong isn't bad, if I do feel bad about it, it makes me try harder to get things right. I have pointed out maximum, phenomenon (singular) maxima, phenomena (plural) before, so I can't complain about being corrected myself. Sometimes I think being not a native speaker helps because I have to work more at understanding the words I use. Some of the natives I know have worse spelling than me.

DoomInTheUK

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 02:55:31 PM »
As a native speaker, I can attest that English can be hard enough - all of you non native speakers have my utmost respect.

Oh - and mistreating less/fewer makes me twitch too.

ktonine

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 04:29:29 PM »
Spelling and/or grammar mistakes in a place where many non-native speakers interact are to be expected.  An adept reader hardly even notices them except when they lead to unintended humor or when none of the reasonable interpretations seem appropriate. I always appreciate the humor :)

The rising use of phones to write comments also leads to cryptic responses from even native speakers.

And there are always the typing idiosyncrasies of individuals.  My fingers type whichever version of 'there,' their,' and 'they're' they feel like typing. Seriously, it's random.  Unless I slowdown and take conscious control of the typing I will be surprised - and usually annoyed - by the result.  My fingers also dispute the spelling of 'president.'  Again, unless I take conscious control it will inevitably result in 'presidient.'  Most of us know our limitations in this regard, but even when we scan a post for mistakes we're not perfect copy editors.  Some errors will slip through.

Pedants should also be aware of Skitt's law, Hartmann's Law, or McKean's Law.

Meirion

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 05:39:11 PM »
(1) Huge respect to all the non-first-language English speakers who post comments here which help me learn more about the state of Arctic sea ice.

(2) If one of the grammar pedants starts going on about fewer/less remind them that the rule was just a Georgian affectation like breeches and powdered wigs and deserves to go the way of all such. If you go back further to King Alfred you'll find he would have stood with me in the "8 items or less" queue in the supermarket rather than trying to get them to change the sign.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 09:23:35 PM »
... but my personal pet hate is missing the NOT out of "I could care less".
I enjoy the humor that the writer unwittingly could care less by not writing anything in the first place.

When I "can't stand" an obvious error that is more than grammatical (like seeing "up" when "down" was meant), I sometimes send a personal message to the author suggesting a correction. [See "My Messages - Send a message" in the ribbon at the top.] My wife thinks I'm pedantic when I do this, so I often try to tough it (my discomfort) out.

I have noticed errors of my own after I posted, and was glad for the "Modify" option. 
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

johnm33

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 12:37:59 AM »
As an English only pedant I admire and respect lucidity especially from not native speakers. So whilst I struggle to keep to my own standards, which come from reading rather than writing, if something is intelligible thats enough, and if not it's down to me, that's the price of being the lingua franca. That said has/as hooks me every time.

plg

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 04:58:29 AM »
Spelling and/or grammar mistakes in a place where many non-native speakers interact are to be expected.  An adept reader hardly even notices them except when they lead to unintended humor or when none of the reasonable interpretations seem appropriate. I always appreciate the humor :)

The rising use of phones to write comments also leads to cryptic responses from even native speakers.

And there are always the typing idiosyncrasies of individuals.  My fingers type whichever version of 'there,' their,' and 'they're' they feel like typing. Seriously, it's random.  Unless I slowdown and take conscious control of the typing I will be surprised - and usually annoyed - by the result.  My fingers also dispute the spelling of 'president.'  Again, unless I take conscious control it will inevitably result in 'presidient.'  Most of us know our limitations in this regard, but even when we scan a post for mistakes we're not perfect copy editors.  Some errors will slip through.

I think you meant Muphry's_law  ;) Mostly because the inevitable miscorrections that will ensue. Hilarious.

[OT: I always wondered how Joda's word order is dubbed into German. He would sound perfectly normal, not?]

BTW, I am not a "native" speaker, whatever that means. I was taught English as my third language when I was 5...
If you are not paranoid you just do not have enough information yet.

cesium62

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 33
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 01:37:54 PM »

However, "loose" is also commonly used by native english speakers when they mean "lose".  And unlike their, they're, and there, "loose" and "lose" are not homonyms.  "loose" and "lose" are not long words where we might get lost like "president".   There is no good reason that "lose" should be misspelled as "loose".   We don't write "roose" or "ruse" when we mean "rose".  We don't write "goose" when we mean "goes".  We don't write "truce" when we mean "toes".

The three Laws above don't apply here much.  The point is not  that people sometimes make grammar mistakes.  The point is that *this* mistake should not be made.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 01:49:47 PM by cesium62 »

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2016, 02:20:04 PM »
Eye jest donut c wut the deel iz wit horrable speling ;D
FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

magnamentis

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2016, 03:30:11 PM »
i'm sure you mean what i just thought this morning LOL

DoomInTheUK

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2016, 03:30:52 PM »
Confusing precedent and president or Pacific for specific seems to happen a lot, but more in spoken English than in written, but it still makes me chuckle.

Oddly enough, I don't usually have a problem with the use or misuse of an apostrophe.

You can add macaroni cheese to the list of things I don't like.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2016, 04:12:55 PM »
You can add macaroni cheese to the list of things I don't like.
Is it because of how it's spelled or were you being off topic?
  ::)
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

DoomInTheUK

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2016, 04:29:10 PM »
Both.

Hateful stuff all round.

notjonathon

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2016, 03:48:16 PM »
You must be thinking of the pre-made stuff.

DoomInTheUK

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2016, 04:04:29 PM »
It always seems the same to me - maybe I was frightened with it as a kid.

It always tastes of vomit, oh and meringue more often than not tastes of wet dog. Maybe I should take up smoking to kill off my taste buds.

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2016, 06:01:47 PM »
An Italian man story :
hum, hum.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3588
  • Likes Given: 3937
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2016, 09:36:15 AM »
What about the anomaly of using anomoly as the new buzzword around here? I see it quite a lot recently.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1336
  • Likes Given: 618
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2016, 01:24:31 PM »
Oh yes, that one has been annoying me for years!
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

DoomInTheUK

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2016, 02:08:48 PM »
So how long do we have to wait before the anomaly becomes normality?

Will we just have to put up with anomalous anomalies up to and beyond the point where all the ice is gone?

SCYetti

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2016, 07:06:20 PM »
I wish to speak on behalf misspellers here and elsewhere. If you haven't done so examine my screen name and you will realise. I speak with authority on misspelling.Spelling is really no big deal:

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
Or rather...
According to a researcher (sic) at Cambridge University, it doesn't matter in what order the letters in a word are, the only important thing is that the first and last letter be at the right place. The rest can be a total mess and you can still read it without problem. This is because the human mind does not read every letter by itself but the word as a whole.
http://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/people/matt.davis/cmabridge/

Iceismylife

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2016, 09:14:31 PM »
Eye jest donut c wut the deel iz wit horrable speling ;D
Eye Dew

Iceismylife

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2016, 09:18:25 PM »
Oh yes, that one has been annoying me for years!
does that go back to the plystasceen?

Andreas T

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2016, 12:23:47 AM »
Spelling also matters when you try to look word up on wikipedia etc:
compare
polynya https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polynya
with
pollyanna https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollyanna

when I studied engineering in Germany many years ago a friend read the footnote pointing to data listed in the appendix and was very surprised when he looked the unfamiliar word up in a dictionary :) and that was without any spelling problems.