Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Jakobshavn Isbræ / Ilulissat Isfjord / West Greenland  (Read 1206496 times)

P-maker

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 72
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Jakobshavn Isbræ / Ilulissat Isfjord / West Greenland
« Reply #1300 on: February 29, 2016, 09:29:05 PM »
Echo,

A-Team, that is the best footage of the North Wand I have seen since this movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0844457/?ref_=ttmd_md_nm

As they say in the last sequel following the movie: "Release the rope!"

Followed by: "I don't know, what the f..k we're gonna do!"
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 09:38:59 PM by P-maker »

A-Team

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 944
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #1301 on: February 29, 2016, 11:12:19 PM »
North Face Eiger
I wonder if there is some safe way to ride Jakobshavn Glacier, say in an inflatable raft that was some multiples of crevasse width? Obviously, not all the way to the calving front.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 12:11:40 AM by A-Team »

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3589
  • Likes Given: 3940
« Reply #1302 on: March 01, 2016, 12:20:54 AM »
Here's an annotated image from 25.2 - I circled the area on the north wall of the south branch that I do not understand. Any ideas what the darker features might be?

the arrows are pointing at radar shadows that can be used to estimate the height of the calving phase. At the north end of the north branch the shadow is up to 300 meters wide. Looking at the shadow of the main trunk it seems clear that the ice-stream is considerably thicker in the middle...what do you think is causing this?

So going back to Nukefix's original question about the circled darker feature, it seems when looking at the last animation posted by A-Team (and some Landsat animation one page back) that the whole thing might be some kind of ice funnel or chute due to associated bedrock profile or indeed the standing wave mechanism mentioned previously at the confluence of two flows, and the darker feature might be the "shadow" at the middle line of the chute, that is less "visible" to the Sentinel than the higher walls around it.

Yuha

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 78
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #1303 on: March 01, 2016, 12:14:54 PM »
"eCovery International Tours"  ;D ;D ;D

A-Team

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: March 01, 2016, 01:05:08 PM »
A recent determination of Jakobshavn motion using Sentinel/Palsar does quite a good job of picking up velocity contrasts in the areas surrounding the main ice stream, though the log scale and lack of correspondence to palette colors makes it near-impossible to actually read off speeds at specific sites. The hodgepodge of flow directions seen in animations is not indicated at all.

The very slow ice on the dividing island is captured by interferometry though the slow spreading ice on the flow-diverting mound that creates the elbow is not indicated satisfactorily. It's not clear whether SAR cannot approach the resolution of Landsat features (despite Sentinel having nominally better ground resolution) or whether the authors had better resolution but chose not to provide it for reasons of image scale.

The Sentinel-1 Mission: New Opportunities for Ice Sheet Observations
T Nagler et al
Remote Sens. 2015, 7(7), 9371-9389; doi:10.3390/rs70709371
http://www.mdpi.com/2072-4292/7/7/9371/htm free full

Click on first image to see at full resolution. The other two images show transects across the elbow mound and the depth of ice over it. (Cresis elevations are relative and need an offset to bring them relative to sea level.) The contour map seems a so-so fit to these particular transects at the elbow but all the transects would have to be examined to  determine an accurate overall shape of the mound.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 01:39:21 PM by A-Team »

Shared Humanity

« Reply #1305 on: March 01, 2016, 02:28:04 PM »
It would appear that, at the height of the melt season, the calving face retreats to the sill that is west of the island where the bend occurs. What are the chances that the calving face could retreat to the very deep trough in back of this sill? Can we assume that sea water has been able to intrude into this deep trough as a result of the seasonal retreat of the calving face or is the main glacier grounded on the bedrock of this deep trough?

nukefix

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 27
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #1306 on: March 01, 2016, 02:50:58 PM »
Here are a couple of more pics, full-resolution but cropped to reduce image size.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 05:01:01 PM by nukefix »

A-Team

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: March 01, 2016, 04:50:59 PM »
Nice pictures ... wish we could get you a big stepladder.

Here is another view of the mound at the elbow that is perceptually more helpful. It is rotated 80º from north to get the motion straight down. (The time series extends from day 172 of 2013 to day 251 of 2015.)

Note how the ice stream peels ice off the sides of the mound as it goes by so much faster. The second and third images show the motion cropped to one of the radar transects and placed over it.

The black patch that appears from time to time is liquid water, probably quite shallow, puddled on the surface. We know this because it is the appropriate clear blue in carefully constructed true color Landsat band assemblages.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 06:42:42 PM by A-Team »

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 421
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #1308 on: March 01, 2016, 05:03:39 PM »
"eCovery International Tours"  ;D ;D ;D

Good idea ;)
Have a ice day!

Tealight

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • CryosphereComputing
  • Liked: 176
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #1309 on: March 02, 2016, 02:08:44 AM »
Hello ASIF,

although this is my first post, I have been reading here for over 2 years, so I'm not completely new.

I have downloaded the NSIDC datasheet  from 5/19/15, which was posted here a few days ago and coloured the bedrock elevation. It looks very similar to the other elevation map, but according to the data the ice thickness over the mound is 270-300m, which is almost twice as much as A-teams radar transects indicates.

So I wonder how reliable those maps really are?

nukefix

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: March 02, 2016, 10:23:59 AM »
My current thinking is that the dark circled feature is simply rubble that is filling crevasses and increasing absorption. In a similar fashion the stagnant "island" between north and south branches is dark, which I interpret being caused by crevasses & surface roughness being blanketed by attenuating snowfall.

A-Team

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: March 02, 2016, 03:34:54 PM »
Tealight coloured the bedrock elevation. It looks very similar to the other elevation map, but according to the data the ice thickness over the mound is 270-300m
Nice effort. Do you have exact link to enveloping page for that NSIDC map handy? I am curious about the grid spacing. The bottom of the trough looks more like Gogineni than Morlighem (who compensated from mass conservation). However that should not affect mound height or ice thickness over it.

Meanwhile I came across the 2009 radar imagery which is much nicer than later years (sorta like wines). The relevant cross sections come in triples (localization map, unannotated, annotated) in the folder at https://data.cresis.ku.edu/data/rds/2009_Greenland_TO/images/20090406_01/ along with digitized cvs files of surface and bedrock elevations.

It's hard to know if this 2009 flight data was actually used (or had a dominant role) in the construction of surface and bedrock maps -- a lot of other overflights were available too. It could have been held back and used after the fact for interpolation check or error estimation but I don't recall any of this was done.

On this particular feature, they would have come out ok with 'ordinary kriging' even though it can be expected to be  anisotropic in the direction of flow (along the lines of many land features in post-Laurentide Canada).

Note that neither the mound nor Jakobshavn 'gorge' look very dramatic at 1:1 scale. The radar images below were provided at 6.5:1 relative scale (vertical to horizontal); the bottom image is rescaled to represent the actual landscape.

On this transect, which is one of six orthogonal to flow across the mound, the top of the rock is 316 m below the surface of the ice and 261 m above sea level. I'll post the other five as a fly-thru animation in a bit. The oblique transects (red) are not ideal in terms of angle with relation to flow over the mound. Obviously the interest was in the south branch trough itself.

I'm not sure how they treat fresh snow and weakly compacted and possibly wet firn. It matters because it is custom-and-culture to assume a constant velocity of propagation of radar (ie speed of light at the radar wavelengh) through ice, the er of 3.15, the round-trip time being converted to distance in that manner. Thus it does not make sense to get too carried away with posted precision, it wouldn't correspond to the depth of a hole drilled down to the top of the mound better than ten meters or so.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 05:42:37 PM by A-Team »

A-Team

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: March 02, 2016, 05:58:06 PM »
Here is where I am headed with this: put the animated flow onto a 3D model viewed in perspective. For that, I need a plain 2D grayscales of the mound and ice surfaces. The latter is better obtained from Howat's stereophotogrammetry project because the WorldView satellite scenes are inherently 2D rather than a mesh of radar 1D tracks.

It's all real easy to do using the mound animation frames (some work making those!) loaded as textures in ImageJ's interactive '3D Surface Plot' of the elevation grayscales. The hard part is getting these research knuckleheads to post their data properly at the time of publication.

The image below is just for conceptualization purposes as I haven't had a chance yet to track down high resolution grayscales. It shows though how amazing this ImageJ plug-in is, five seconds of effort max.

Some extraordinary programming talent was donated here by Kai Barthel of Internationale Medieninformatik in Berlin. Note goog earth has the surface DEM stored already plus photo-overlay, might there be an API hook to 3D? No reason to be doing this on a one-off basis for every mound in coastal Greenland.

It is ludicrous to think the main channel of Jakobshavn can be modeled without considering the drag on its sides. The best way to see that is through these animated time series. Print journals should not be determining the scientific agenda but that's what we're seeing.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 06:32:08 PM by A-Team »

Tealight

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • CryosphereComputing
« Reply #1313 on: March 02, 2016, 09:30:34 PM »
Nice effort. Do you have exact link to enveloping page for that NSIDC map handy?

Sorry, but I don't know what you mean by enveloping page. I just downloaded the NSIDC Mass conversion dataset over the link AbruptSLR posted and then opened this with SNAP (Sentinel Application Platform)

dataset link: ftp://sidads.colorado.edu/DATASETS/IDBMG4_BedMachineGr/MCdataset-2015-04-27.nc
Snap link: http://step.esa.int/main/toolboxes/snap/

Using colour manipulation, I assigned each pixel its specific colour. It took some time to create this colour code, but I saved it in a file and can easily apply it again to other glaciers all over Greenland.

Each square pixel is 150m wide. (Indicated under global attributes)
Or calculated by dividing Greenlands North-South length by the number of pixels: 2687km/17946=0.1497km/pixel

A-Team

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: March 02, 2016, 10:48:31 PM »
Interesting. I just meant its NSIDC mother database record (of which the data link is the index field). Doesn't sound like they had enough resolution to do any physics on this particular mound but maybe there is better data specific to JI tied to the 2014 deeply incised glacial valley paper. Or does the netCDF file format allow seamless patching in tof iles where the resolution is better?

I started in on uniformatizing the widely varying scales on the 12 transects from 2009 as these form a self-consistent set flown by Twin Otter on the same day with same radar, image below. There are no isochronal layers or basal deformations visible in any of these, no surprise after what the ice has gone through.

ftp://sidads.colorado.edu/DATASETS/IDBMG4_BedMachineGr/
--> google search 'IDBMG4_BedMachineGr'
--> http://nsidc.org/data/docs/daac/icebridge/idbmg4/index.html

--> Greenland
Spatial Resolution 150 meters
Polar Stereographic North (70° N, 45° W), corresponding to EPSG 3413
file format netCDF 1.6, file size 2.1 GB
Data were collected between 1993 and 2014 [doesn't say what fraction of they used]
Bedrock altitude
Ice surface elevation
Ice thickness
The true resolution of the ice thickness data is 400 m [?]
Operation IceBridge radar-derived thickness data, posted at 15 m, with a vertical precision of 30 m
Mask (ocean, ice-free land, floating ice, grounded ice)
-->
Morlighem 2015.IceBridge BedMachine Greenland, Version 2 http://dx.doi.org/10.5067/AD7B0HQNSJ29
Morlighem 2014. Deeply incised submarine glacial valleys beneath the Greenland Ice Sheet doi:10.1038/ngeo2167

In the file name, "MC" refers to Mass Conservation

Sparse, airborne, radar sounding-derived ice thickness data are combined with comprehensive, high-resolution, ice motion derived from satellite interferometric synthetic-aperture radar to calculate ice thickness based on Mass Conservation (MC). The MC method solves the mass conservation equation to derive ice thickness, while at the same time minimizing departure from the original radar-derived ice thickness data. The algorithm conserves mass fluxes while minimizing the departure from the original radar-derived ice thickness data. Ice surface motion provides a physical basis for extrapolating sparse ice thickness data to larger areas with few or no data. The method works best in areas of fast flow, where errors in flow direction are small and the glaciers slide on the bed. In the interior regions, where errors in flow direction are larger, kriging is used to interpolate ice thickness (Morlighem, et al 2014).

The algorithm neglects ice motion by internal shear, which is an excellent approximation for fast-flowing glaciers (>100 m yr-1) (Morlighem, et al 2014).

The bed topography is derived by subtracting the ice thickness from the Greenland Mapping Project (GIMP) Digital Elevation Model (http://bprc.osu.edu/GDG/gimpdem.php).
Version History

On May 19, 2015, the IceBridge BedMachine Greenland data were replaced by Version 2. Version 2 includes improved processing of some basins and adds some Operation IceBridge 2014 data. Heights are now provided with respect to mean sea level, instead of the WGS84 ellipsoid. The geoid is included in an additional field in the data.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 11:06:27 PM by A-Team »

Wipneus

• Citizen scientist
  • Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctische Pinguin
  • Liked: 1025
« Reply #1315 on: March 03, 2016, 01:48:04 PM »
First usable 2016 Landsat image. Click for full res image.

A-Team

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: March 03, 2016, 09:06:35 PM »
The slow animation below compares this first spring 2016 Jakobshavn with the last fall scene of 2015, two bracketing spring scenes from 2015, and a spring scene from 2014. The differences in calving front position are fairly slight.

day 062 of 2016
day 251 of 2015
day 075 of 2015
day 050 of 2015
day 056 of 2014
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 09:14:12 PM by A-Team »

Shared Humanity

« Reply #1317 on: March 03, 2016, 10:26:30 PM »
First usable 2016 Landsat image. Click for full res image.

Fairly large calving on the north wall of the south branch just east of the island where the north and south branch split. This calving is occurring on a section of the ice sheet that is not heavily crevassed, unlike the rapidly moving section of the ice sheet immediately south. This section of the ice sheet is moving slowly, behaving more like an ice shelf than a flowing glacier and it sits above bedrock that is grounded below sea level. Would not be surprised if this shelf calves and retreats rapidly. I would expect the ice behind it to speed up as the pinning effect is removed.

nukefix

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: March 04, 2016, 11:44:30 AM »
The slow animation below compares this first spring 2016 Jakobshavn with the last fall scene of 2015, two bracketing spring scenes from 2015, and a spring scene from 2014. The differences in calving front position are fairly slight.
It's very striking how the north wall changes flow when it has become unbuttressed on day 251 of 2015...I guess we will be seeing more of that this summer.

A-Team

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: March 04, 2016, 01:26:53 PM »
north wall flow accelerates after calving front buttress retreats ... be seeing more of that this summer.
Right. This north bank is not as sleepy as it first appears.

I added the 2016 below. The animation runs for 1017 days, from day 140 of 2013 to day 62 of 2016, for those wishing to measure slow velocities or year-on-year (resp. seasonal) accelerations. The specific dates are provided as the 25 frame names if the gif is downloaded and re-opened in gimp. I've added a 300 ms pause on the 2016.

The lower two images allow feature and shading comparison of the Landsat with a Sentinel of near identical date.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 02:05:54 PM by A-Team »

A-Team

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1320 on: March 04, 2016, 02:48:57 PM »
Sentinel is also quite interesting for its overview. It provides a dramatic perspective on Jakobshavn's penetration of the Greenland ice sheet above the ablation zone relative to Eqip and other glaciers to the north which is not so apparent from Landsat.

It seems like brightness in Sentinel radar also is more effective in delineating the crevasse zone surrounding the main fast ice stream, an area sucked in both by drag on the sides and thinning height. Note that the region to the south may be more important to ice volume discharge than the north side of the south branch that we focus on so much.

For some reason the confluence area that stands out in bedrock maps also shows up better in Sentinel. The lower branch of the confluence is not that active now though it must have been in the past to have created such a deep trough.

The animation at the bottom shows seasonal surface melt water formed at the same spots just past the elbow during the last three summers. (There's an occasional passing cloud or low sun angle shadows that can be confusing but neither is in consecutive frames.) Apparently locally generated fresh water fills certain crevasses by mid-summer but not others, suggesting local strain heating (rather than just air melt). These do not seem to drain down moulins to bedrock.

A few mini melt lakes form in the lee of certain obstructions. These are stationary with respect to the ice stream. Again there is no evidence that this water ever lubricates bottom flow.

Since we know from true color Landsats that this is indeed liquid water, it presents an opportunity to interpret mid-summer Sentinel images of the same scene. Once identified, they could be followed into winter which Landsat cannot do.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 05:58:34 PM by A-Team »

solartim27

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 75
« Reply #1321 on: March 04, 2016, 07:38:54 PM »
Another calving on the south branch, not a great satellite matchup, so it's hard to say if there is something occuring on the north branch, or just the change of view.  Dates are Mar 4 and Feb 28.
FNORD

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: March 05, 2016, 12:04:06 AM »
Another calving on the south branch, not a great satellite matchup, so it's hard to say if there is something occuring on the north branch, or just the change of view.  Dates are Mar 4 and Feb 28.

Nice catch.
My untrained eye insists that a calving also took place at the north branch.

Laura Derrick

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1323 on: March 05, 2016, 09:30:51 PM »
A-Team, your animations are absolutely mesmerizing, and also terrifying. Thank you so much for the work you're doing!

Iceismylife

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1324 on: March 05, 2016, 10:39:29 PM »
Solar eclipse on the 8th with Jupiter lined up too. Any money on surges large calving etc.?

A-Team

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: March 06, 2016, 01:34:08 AM »
animations are absolutely mesmerizing, and also terrifying. Thank you
You're welcome. It is still astonishing to me to see the first run, how alive and flowing this ice sheet is.

So how much are these animations sped up relative to actual motion -- and will the ice ever flow so fast that time lapse imagery won't be needed? Now Landsat orbit of 16 days so that already compresses time 16x relative to Chasing Ice oblique time series (which likely are taken once daily at local noon).

Conventional films give a sense of natural motion from being projected as 24 frames per second (42 ms), very similar to what my animations are configured at. However they may play slower and or faster depending on the browser and CPU load on the viewing device. (Television achieves the same effect a little differently with a similar but non-standardized frame rate.)

From 86400 seconds in a day and the 16 day return interval, it would seem that 24 frames of Landsats in a one second animation represents speeding things up 1.382,400 times. Whatever, the glacier is not moving nearly as fast as it looks.

What about the future? Glaciers can surge and even experience catastrophic collapse, see the Svalbard and Iceland forums. However we're not there yet with Jakobshavn despite its remarkable acceleration in recent years (that "can't continue" according to Joaghin 2014).

johnm33

« Reply #1326 on: March 06, 2016, 12:05:28 PM »
Solar eclipse on the 8th with Jupiter lined up too. Any money on surges large calving etc.?
With the new moon at 01:55 [utc] on the 9th extreme tides combined with winds blowing south currently predicted [nullschool] almost guarantee a clearout of the fjord, my guess would be the 9th. Should also see increased flow up at Nares too.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 12:18:59 PM by johnm33 »

A-Team

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: March 06, 2016, 02:50:41 PM »
On these animations, the next step is to take them apart to map velocities. By watching over and over, you can get a good sense of which parts of the scene are moving faster than others, the complex pattern of directions the motions are taking, and what ice is one, two or three years out from the calving front.

Because the time spanned by Landsat-8 is getting on to four years, quite a range of velocities can be measured from a single animation, ie in the slowest moving regions the displacement of a feature might be only accurately measurable between the first and last frames whereas for the fastest regions the 16 days between consecutive orbital passes suffice (and the feature might only be trackable for 3-4 frames).

However by watching for persistent features in fast regions, it becomes feasible to measure the velocity over many frames, with the expectation that there will be seasonal changes and possibly a trend to higher velocity (acceleration).

I'm especially interested in ice passing over the 'north elbow mound' because the transition from very slowly moving ice to the very fast ice of the principal ice stream takes place over just a few kilometers. Even better, the grids were flow so as to be either along the central flow line of the ice stream or perpendicular to it.

The 12 orthogonal transects are extremely favorable to physical modeling (or rather unflattering to existing models) because they provide highly accurate bedrock and surface cross sections directly (ie without re-gridding and kriging interpolation that introduces all that guesswork). So the plan is to determine the velocities along those 12 transects and combine them with tomographic reconstruction of the mound itself.

The north elbow mound turns out to be fairly bland structurally, just an elongated hump like that of a whale just below the surface. However the volume of ice displaced is substantial and has to be accounted for by crevasse volume and ice stretching (which it hardly has time for, given the pull of the adjacent ice stream). Such fast and slow ice are rarely so engaged on Greenland as here.

The analogy here is someone riding a bicycle on gravel alongside a freeway, chained to a bus in the slow lane, which is chained to a pickup truck in the middle lane, which is chained to a sports car on icy pavement in the fast lane, all going around a banked curve. Even if the chain is more like a stiff bungee cord than a rigid link, something has to give.

Note the north mound is not the source of ice stream deflection -- it was headed WSW already. There's a barely submerged rock wall along the south blank that is forcing the 76º turn to the WNW. It seems like Jakobshavn should have ground out a straight course to the sea by now but it hasn't. Some people attribute this to an entrenched meander of a paleo stream.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #1328 on: March 06, 2016, 03:31:44 PM »
With these beautiful animations, I presume someone can follow a point on the calving front backwards in time to see where it was last month (last year, etc.).  Selecting multiple points (approximating a curvy 'line') and making it rainbow colored, one could create a 'contour' map showing where the ice on the front came from, and when it was there.  The red spot on each contour line traces the path of the spot of ice now on the calving front, etc.

You folks with the technology (and knowledge how to use it) must hate us armchair whatever-we-ares.  ::)
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

Shared Humanity

« Reply #1329 on: March 06, 2016, 06:32:17 PM »

You folks with the technology (and knowledge how to use it) must hate us armchair whatever-we-ares.  ::)

I consider myself an ill informed "ne'er do well".

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
« Reply #1330 on: March 06, 2016, 08:51:49 PM »
"The analogy here is someone riding a bicycle on gravel alongside a freeway, chained to a bus in the slow lane, which is chained to a pickup truck in the middle lane, which is chained to a sports car on icy pavement in the fast lane, all going around a banked curve."

The chains seem quite tenuous, the thing is a pile of rubble. Granular flow might be a better analogy ? The grains are huge, and phase change is near, so simple models like sandpiles may not be so useful. But the picture of a system living on the edge of critical instability may be quite powerful, i once wondered about applying the concept to shelf breakup.

A-Team

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: March 06, 2016, 11:03:55 PM »
the thing is a pile of rubble. Granular flow might be a better analogy? Huge grains of sand. Near phase transition
Indeed, at some point this could become a real game-changer. The mound here is ~18 km up from the calving front. Above the elbow, the central ice stream is smooth, not yet crevassed (see #1322, 2nd image) on both Sentinel or Landsat. Roughly speaking, the surface rubble boundary is the white on #1322, 1st image. It lies completely within the ablation zone though it wouldn't have to.

Watching the crevasses being dragged off the SE side of the mound indicates the fast stream still has good traction on neighboring ice. The new crevasses seem quite stable structurally over a 2-3 year time frame despite an ever changing strain regime. These observations seem to imply the ice is not granular, here, yet.

The shoulder crevasses may very well taper the 300-400 m down to bedrock of the mound's sloping shoulder (see radar track 20090406_01_16, #1313). However the seasonally water-filled crevasses (upper right corner of #1322 animation) do not seem not moulonic.

However at the calving front, the oblique panoramas nukefix posted around #1300 show every surface to be total rubble, surprisingly even very slow ice on the south side adjacent to the last exposed rocks. Yet it is not unusual for giant bergs to calve off as coherent blocks that don't disintegrate for weeks despite immense mechanical and hydraulic forces acting during the event.

I looked very closely at the products of the 15 Aug 15 mega-event and the June airplane youTube, concluding that ~1100 meters of thickness came off in just two slabs of solid blue ice, one of which still carried frozen-on bottom till. I've previously opined these calved overturned slabs would have temperature in the middle blue of -20ºC or so.

In addition to these solid slabs of ice, there is definitely a substantial upper layer of brittle rubble that gets shaken off right away into granular, but this layer does not extend to depth. Yet.

follow a point on the calving front backwards in time to see where it was last month (last year.  Selecting multiple points (approximating a curvy 'line') and making it rainbow colored, one could create a 'contour' map showing where the ice on the front came from, and when it was there.  The red spot on each contour line traces the path of the spot of ice now on the calving front.
My secret agenda is to get more folks engaged with the photoshopping, measurements and interpretation. Your description of how to mark up flow lines is spot-on. I would do the points all in bright pink as a transparent layer sitting over the frames of the animation, then grayscale that layer and apply the spectral gradient tool which will work even on sparse points and give the red terminal points for the connect-the-dots contouring. So the algorithm is just grab the gif followed by point and click.

The only trick is in the visual back-tracking of the picked feature; here just relax and let your left-over lizard brainstem follow the fly. Some features fade out over time but by watching the animation over and over at high speed, pick ones that can be followed over the whole time span.

Is there any perceptual advantage to running animations backwards in time? [Note: this is NOT an option for remediation of climate change.] Easy enough experiment: Gimp --> Layers --> Stack --> Reverse Layer Order followed by dragging Background layer to bottom of stack for any of the gifs downloaded from this forum.

I've added another experiment, split-screen forward and back. The movement in this area just fascinates me -- but there's a scientific opportunity here too because the observed motion must strongly constrain admissible physical properties of the Jakobshavn ice at this location.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 11:45:33 PM by A-Team »

Tealight

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • CryosphereComputing
« Reply #1332 on: March 07, 2016, 02:48:39 AM »
My secret agenda is to get more folks engaged with the photoshopping, measurements and interpretation.
Sadly I don't have enough time to look through hundreds of satellite images and create gifs to estimate the surface velocity of the ice stream. But if you could provide some velocity ranges over the southern channel I should be able to calculate volume losses using ice thickness data.

These calculations will be then be compared to the total ice volume discharged and by tweaking a variable which describes the velocity for various depths, we should be able to calculate/predict the volume loss for future calving events. Of course these calculations need to be adjusted if the glacier retreats further inland.

I attached a graph which visualizes three different completly made up velocity ranges.

A-Team

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: March 07, 2016, 04:44:51 AM »
Sadly I don't have enough time to look through hundreds of satellite images and create gifs to estimate the surface velocity of the ice stream.
Cheer up! Espen, Wipneus and I have already gone through the entire set of Landsat-8's from launch to lunch, extracted all 56 cloud-free images of Jakobshavn (plus Petermann and Zachariae) and processed them into the gif sequences available for download on this forum.

These will be missing 4-5 months in winter but nukefix has explained how to process winter Sentinel 1A's into the same UTM22 coordinate system with the free SNAP toolbox.

The only remaining technical glitches are re-projecting more easterly Landsat path 8,row 11 orbital scenes into co-registering pixel geometry (which would give more frames, sometimes where needed) and systemically adjusting the wildly varying contrasts across the seasons to a common optimal perceptual standard.

But if you could provide some velocity ranges over the southern channel I could ...
Well, the fastest speed ever reported is 52 meters per day but some of that is dynamic thinning and some is crevasse formation and widening. I'm recalling about 25% slower in winter. The highest annualized travel is 17 km per year.

Speeds been measured regionally a dozen times with SAR, most recently by ESA in January 2016 (images a couple pages back). The velocity along (but rarely across) the central flowline has also been measured many times (usually past the elbow) using feature tracking. There is paper talk of automated velocity computation across all possible pairs of cloud-free Landsats at 3-4 minutes per pair yet somehow the months go by with nothing getting posted.

Frankly I've not been thrilled with the level of detail in published products. This remarkable phenomenon at the elbow mound has been totally missed despite this glacier being their day job, not ours. There's not been a paper yet posted at the 15 m resolution over a contemporary Landsat.

Look at this 2015 paper (doi:10.3390/rs70709371): After spending billions to get a radar satellite with 10 m ground resolution, the authors then dumb down their Jakobshavn velocities speeds 10x to publish at 108 m per pixel. The 1.7 MB png is no big deal at 170 MB for full resolution, a fifth the size of Sentinel IWs. As the animation shows, this is a terrible mismatch to the intrinsic size of ice velocity features, as is the log palette whose colors aren't used in the image. Why take consecutive IW scenes 12 days apart when the product would be vastly improved in slower ice at 24, 36, or 48 days apart?

We see a lot of eye candy the size of postage stamps but little underlying data. All too often, they gesticulate in the general direction of NSIDC but don't provide an accession link because the data was never actually submitted. Incomprehensibly, the direction of motion is often dropped yet that is absolutely critical for understanding physical interaction with side ice. Delays are unbelievable for something changing this fast, 2016 papers talking about the 2009 calving event like it was breaking news.

In summary, with a few people here, we can do better than this.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 01:44:55 PM by A-Team »

nukefix

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: March 07, 2016, 10:13:21 AM »
The SNAP toolbox should have velocity-tracking in their next release - hopefully this will actually prove useful.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
« Reply #1335 on: March 08, 2016, 05:27:05 PM »
The linked (open access) reference provides a numerical study using the level-set method, LSM, to evaluate the influence of calving on ice stream dynamics, using the Jakobshavn Glacier as a case study (to learn lessons applicable to other calving dominated cases in Antarctica and Greenland).  The reference finds (see attached image) that while ice stream flow rates are sensitive to acceleration by increasing calving, however, they find that both lateral stress (largely absent for the Byrd Subglacial Basin in Antarctica) and ice flux serve to stabilize the ice stream from rapid retreat of the calving front:

Bondzio, J. H., Seroussi, H., Morlighem, M., Kleiner, T., Rückamp, M., Humbert, A., and Larour, E. Y.: Modelling calving front dynamics using a level-set method: application to Jakobshavn Isbræ, West Greenland, The Cryosphere, 10, 497-510, doi:10.5194/tc-10-497-2016, 2016.

http://www.the-cryosphere.net/10/497/2016/
http://www.the-cryosphere.net/10/497/2016/tc-10-497-2016.pdf

Abstract. Calving is a major mechanism of ice discharge of the Antarctic and Greenland ice sheets, and a change in calving front position affects the entire stress regime of marine terminating glaciers. The representation of calving front dynamics in a 2-D or 3-D ice sheet model remains non-trivial. Here, we present the theoretical and technical framework for a level-set method, an implicit boundary tracking scheme, which we implement into the Ice Sheet System Model (ISSM). This scheme allows us to study the dynamic response of a drainage basin to user-defined calving rates. We apply the method to Jakobshavn Isbræ, a major marine terminating outlet glacier of the West Greenland Ice Sheet. The model robustly reproduces the high sensitivity of the glacier to calving, and we find that enhanced calving triggers significant acceleration of the ice stream. Upstream acceleration is sustained through a combination of mechanisms. However, both lateral stress and ice influx stabilize the ice stream. This study provides new insights into the ongoing changes occurring at Jakobshavn Isbræ and emphasizes that the incorporation of moving boundaries and dynamic lateral effects, not captured in flow-line models, is key for realistic model projections of sea level rise on centennial timescales.
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

nukefix

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: March 09, 2016, 11:07:59 AM »
Ice velocity is estimated with a moving window which necessarily creates some loss of resolution. Some filtering is also necessary to remove spurious correlations...

A-Team

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: March 10, 2016, 10:49:39 AM »
Ice velocity is estimated with a moving window...filtering is also necessary to remove spurious correlations.
In the past, these algorithms have divided the two scenes into chips (tiles). The idea here is an identifiable feature will only move a restricted number of pixels between t1 and t2. For example, if a pixel represents 10 m, if a region of the Jakobshavn ice stream is moving 30 m per day (ie 3 pixels), if 12 days pass between orbits, a given feature will be displaced 36 pixels.

So for a chip 360 pixels on a side from the first scene, the feature is quite likely to still be on the same chip of the second scene at t2. Since there's no human intervention in feature definition, only best correlation, there's a huge reductions in false positives (and gain in processing speed) if you refrain from comparing t1 pixels to all the places they couldn't possibly be at t2.

These satellite scenes are less than a gigabyte in size and a pair can be processed in 3-4 minutes on a desktop. That means it's no big deal to vary chip size to optimize for slow and fast motion. Even at Jakobshavn, the world's fastest glacier, the velocity range is restricted and reasonable.

The worst case scenario is 1 m per year at Summit vs 17000 at the mid-August calving front. More typically, if you can see the ice moving in a Jakobshavn animation, the speeds will range from 1-30 meters per day. However not all the ice is moving, for example the NS dividing island no longer has any significant driving stress from the east.

In the case of the Jakobshavn elbow, we already know from the mound animation to expect a large variation in speeds over a short distance -- the ice takes several years to cross the top of the mound yet to the south the ice stream proper is moving at a record pace. So this is going to be challenging to measure both on the same chip with the same accuracy.

That's important to get right (not squash with a log palette display) because adjacent ice moving at different speeds requires accommodation by shearing along glide-plane surfaces to the full 1400 m depth which raises a whole range of ice physics issues.

It's also very clear from the elbow and north bank animations that even in small regions, the ice is not remotely moving in a parallel flow (as it does off the summit ridge). So even on a small chip there will be convergent and divergent flow lines even though ice is incompressible. Ng has a good recent treatment that's discussed over on the Pine Island forum.

Given that every chip within 25 km of the Jakobshavn calving front will have ice moving in different directions, it is completely unacceptable to dumb down the output to speed.

Note mass conservation does not imply volume conservation. First the ice surface is not vertically confined (allowing troughs and pressure ridges) and second air-filled crevasses can take up some of the slack. A steady succession of them is being created off the southeast flank of the elbow mound by differential flow.

I like this mound elbow region because it raises all the issues in a very small space and has very dense radar coverage to depth (this is all happening in 3D). The very first thing to look for in a Jakobshavn journal article is if they blew off this region (converted it to a non-interacting straightaway). If the elbow region isn't be done right, the physics and future will both be wrong. Reality may be inconvenient but it can't be ignored.

The image and excel file below show all the possible Jakobshavn time series for Sentinel 1A and Landsat-8. Here Sentinel repeats its orbit every 12 days and Landsat every 16. We are only interested in Sentinel IW GRDH scenes and those come four orientations, of which two are new. It will not work out to mix and match different orientations (ie re-project) as the slightest degradation of feature resolution will throw off velocity measurements.

Note too that even the better scene types skip dates, leaving 12, 24, 48 and even more days between takes. That is not a problem for measuring slower velocities (12 days might not provide for enough displacement) but this must be balanced with loss of feature correlation. For example, the 276 day gap (23 orbits) between 11 May 15 and 11 Feb 16 might seem ideal for nearly stagnant ice but in practice re-locating t1 features at t2 will prove problematic.

I have not seen anyone chaining velocity chips (ie t1, t2, t3, ... tn off an animation to spline up flowline chords].

Sentinel-2A will be producing its first images of Jakobshavn this week. It is a Landsat-type instrument and will have the same problems with clouds that right now are obscuring the calving front. It is on a 10 day orbit but in some areas the (orthorectified) takes will be 30 days apart. This is great to have three open source satellites for monitoring Greenland glaciers.

https://sentinel.esa.int/web/sentinel/missions/sentinel-2/acquisition-plans

Clicking on the first image will get it to display better. The attached text file has the same data as plain numbers (without the colors) and will load into any spreadsheet (for updating this season) as a comma-separated-values file (edit .txt to .csv after download).

There is a secret sauce, namely 'GRD IW', that causes the Sentinel portal to list only its IW GRDH (nothing is returned for 'IW GRDH') scenes. At the 'classical' portal, you could set it to show all the scenes, the new one will only show 25 on first go-round.

Using the gold series, someone here could make an animation of 37 easily co-registered frames spanning 504 days. The purple series has only 18 frames but also spans 504 days, These may be ascending/descending orbit pairs since they alternate for much of the chronological column.

No one has tried integrating the Sentinel series into the Landsat series to get year-round, more evenly spaced temporal coverage. This would look odd as an animation but have improved scientific value in measuring seasonal velocity changes, year-on-year acceleration, and surges after calving events. The SNAP toolbox does enable re-scaling and co-registration to UTM22.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 12:24:00 AM by A-Team »

Tealight

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • CryosphereComputing
« Reply #1338 on: March 11, 2016, 01:57:21 AM »
The linked (open access) reference provides a numerical study using the level-set method, LSM, to evaluate the influence of calving on ice stream dynamics, using the Jakobshavn Glacier as a case study (to learn lessons applicable to other calving dominated cases in Antarctica and Greenland). 
http://www.the-cryosphere.net/10/497/2016/
http://www.the-cryosphere.net/10/497/2016/tc-10-497-2016.pdf

They have almost done the same as I wanted to do after I finish University in April. However I can't understand why they used a 500m mesh for the fjord. Did they only use a 32bit program or didn't they want to wait 5min for the calculations to finish?

Quote from: extract from paper
...generate a 2-D horizontal finite element mesh with
element size varying from 500m in the fjord and areas of fast flow to 10 km inland
The resulting mesh has about 10 000 vertices and 19 000 elements.

Even with the Level set methods it is far too rough. I'm already looking for other products to improve the 150m resolution of the NSIDC MC dastasheet. Currently I'm at 178540 datapoints, which is better, but still not fine enough.

I came across a great site, which provides Stereo-Photogrammetric Digital Elevation/Surface Models in 2m resolution for Jakobshavn Isbræ and other places in west Greenland. The data is still in Beta and not guaranteed to be accurate, but its impressive nevertheless.

Stereo-Photogrammetric Digital Elevation: http://www.pgc.umn.edu/elevation/stereo

Attached is a colourized preview of the calving front. Later I might be able to show the true 2m resolution for some specific features.

nukefix

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: March 11, 2016, 09:25:58 AM »
If the correlation-window is too small in ice velocity the result will be very noisy with many spurious correlations. Even with intelligent search the search-space is rather large and would probably benefit from GPU-acceleration. Normally block rotation is not looked for as it makes the task even more computationally intensive. Amount of computation also depends on what one is looking for...for mass-balance assessments one just needs the velocity field at or near the flux-gate.

A-Team

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: March 11, 2016, 03:01:49 PM »
I came across a great site, which provides stereo-photogrammetric digital elevation/surface models in 2m resolution for Jakobshavn Isbræ and other places in west Greenland. The data is still in Beta
We have discussed this project a couple dozen times before, #989 on this forum etc. It is NOT in beta; the whole west coast of Greenland has been finished up to Hammond Glacier. UNM just provides the supercomputer needed to process the proprietary WorldView-2 images; the PI is actually I Howat at OSU; the US govt is the scientific licensee.

http://www.the-cryosphere.net/8/1509/2014/tc-8-1509-2014.pdf cited in 61 subsequent papers

improve the 150m resolution of the NSIDC MC dastasheet
This is some kind of re-gridded, kriged, modeled product not to be confused with the actual underlying experimental data that is sparse, irregularly sampled, not nearly at this resolution, and with controversial actual error (seismic says 100 m till overlays bedrock). This has been a very difficult glacier to study.

For most people here, the hill-shaded relief map overviews are more accessible than the 32-bit 'tiled tif' format, which however can be opened in ImageJ using Import --> Bioformats and viewed/rotated/shaded/colored in Analyze --> 3D Surface Plot, still in 32-bit.

The overview image is broken up into a 5x5 grid of 25 DEMS. In the case of the elbow region, it is split between two tiles with six really needed to provide context. So somewhere these need to be butted together and cropped, still in 32 bit. A patch line slightly mars the final product (4th image below).

http://repository.agic.umn.edu/imagery/stereoDEM/SETSM/ArcticDEM/18_39/2m/SETSM_ArcticDEM_18_39_DEM_browse.jpg

Note though that the 'tiled tifs' themselves must be tiled up, a dozen or so (4 GB) to assemble coverage of a curved, dipping feature such as the Jakobshavn ice stream. This is hugely inefficient on the end-user side so I've requested many times here and elsewhere that they fix the site so that it crops, tiles and serves only data responsive to a user-supplied rectangle.

This is really quite a fantastic resource, capable of near-photographic crevasse-level imagery even as rendered in perspective. However the dates are a couple years back and no time series continues to the present. Minor line and blob artifacts are present in many tiles but are not so easy to edit out in 32-bit mode (3rd image).

The horizontal resolution is ~2000 pixels for the width at the ~5000 m wide calving front for which Landsat band 8 would have 333 pixels. The original imagery was ~0.5 m. A lot of that got consumed in making the stereo pair for the DEM whose vertical resolution is posted at 2 m. The point here is lidar can map elevations to the cm level but only sparsely (thin strips) whereas the satellite takes in areas.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 05:18:38 PM by A-Team »

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
« Reply #1341 on: March 11, 2016, 10:03:11 PM »
The openCV (Computer Vision)  python package has at least Lucas-Kanade and Farneback algorithms for optical flow built in. I have used them in some small research problems earlier.  But in any attempt, careful attention must be paid to the issues raised by nukefix and others.

A-Team

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: March 11, 2016, 11:33:44 PM »
Here is a beauty ... click to see it at proper size. This is looking east into the main channel of Jakobson with exaggerated relief. are from tiling up 4 of the 25 units of Howat's 2 m DEM. (There's enough resolution to do this on the scale of a wall.) Next up, overlay the Landsat frames and see the ice flow in 3D. Or, if we had a decent velocity map, overlay it on the relief. Proper display facilitates asking the right questions.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: March 12, 2016, 10:35:41 AM »
Wow. This is simply amazing beyond words.
The island, the mound, the north-wall-of-south-branch, and the area feeding into the elbow from the southeast are all so clearly visible and really explain themselves.

A-Team

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: March 12, 2016, 03:20:35 PM »
amazing... island, the mound, the north-wall-of-south-branch, and the area feeding into the elbow from SE
Here is a fairly typical journal treatment of Jakobshavn that shows how the (observationally determined) velocity of ice in the central flow line of Jakobshavn increases as it approaches the calving front.

It's typical in that the flow line is drawn with a thick pen (ie unspecified and wandering), actual data points are nowhere provided (ie resolution is unknown), and measurement errors aren't indicated. The small departures (bumps) from steadily declining speed can't be correlated with physical features because the flow line is not marked up with a distance scale.

I fitted a 'least squares' line to the graph by eye. For the first 25 km upstream of the calving front, the velocity in meters per day is given by 31 - 1.03D where D is in km. For example, at 10 km the velocity is 21 m/d so considerably slower than at the calving front itself. Note the acceleration will be constant for a linear velocity fit.

Farther upstream the velocity curve flattens out and invites more of a parabolic fit. (There's a simple online tool that will fit any order polynomial to a set of data points ... if you have a list of data points.)  It is not feasible to determine from the information in the article where the break-point occurs on our DEM.

The older ALOS 2009 data suggests the velocity back then was consistently slower but it doesn't seem feasible without numeric data points and error bars to quantitatively describe how the velocity curve is morphing over time. That's unfortunate because it would be exceedingly time-consuming to replicate their interferometric analysis.

Although this is just providing a toy flow line through the regional velocity field, it still provides a good exercise in marking up the ice points that will reach the calving front in the next 1, 2, 3 ... years. As Tor B notes above, connecting the dots on enough of these gives us the contour lines of annual discharge which can be converted to volume as TeaL describes with the bedrock DEM.

There are some advantages with less regular data to sidestepping line integrals with use of a simple excel spreadsheet. Just pick a starting point some distance from calving front, calculate how far it will move in a day, find the new position, find the new velocity there, calculate where it will end up the day, copy down to 365 days, repeat with incremented starting point columns and multiples of 365. Then graph the transfer function of the original distance axis as an animation for time t.

The seasonal variations in the velocity field (and its secular trend) would have to be considered. These are very considerable for the fast ice stream itself. It's not so clear whether regional variation is strictly proportionate though there is adequate Sentinel 1A and 12-bit Landsat coverage to determine it.

It is a bit challenging to foresee how these annual discharge contours will sit on the surface DEM of a couple posts back in #1344. There is a whole lot more going on here than simply slope equals driving force equals velocity.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 06:14:57 PM by A-Team »

A-Team

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: March 12, 2016, 05:54:04 PM »
sidd notes: openCV (Computer Vision) python package has at least Lucas-Kanade and Farneback algorithms for optical flow built in.
Definitely worth looking into.

Or just use ImageJ which is free, fast, friendly, platform independent, regularly maintained, and ready to go with all those and more, using any of the Jakobshavn animation stacks provided above.

Or wonder why velocity measurements in glaciology haven't used optic flow as we've discussed with Scambos 2016 (Landsat-8) and tried out on Zachariae with ImGar 2015, SIFT and some others. No one here has been able to produce SAR interferograms, the most commonly used technique for Antarctica and Greenland (Rignot 2015).

FlowJ is a collection of popular 2D optical flow algorithms, Lucas and Kanade, Uras, Fleet and Jepson, and Singh. FlowJ appears as a command in ImageJ under Analyze --> Optic Flow. It can measure and visualize the image flow (related to motion) in any open stack. A test image sequence is available at ftp.csd.uwo.ca/pub/vision).

The images under it show the flow field in different formats notably dynamic color (indexed),  common quiver (arrow) and spotnoise (thermal flow). The flow field is shown as a grayscale (float) stack with separated x and y flows.

Features:

-- Lucas and Kanade, Uras, Fleet and Jepson and Singh algorithms.

-- Choice of 4 point central difference, Gaussian derivative and Sobel gradient estimation.

-- Choice of Dynamic Color, Quiver and Spotnoise flow field mappings which show individual flow vectors and regions. Also puts flow fields into stacks with slices for flow in the x- and in the y-direction for convenient quantitative analysis.

-- Reads and writes Burkitt format optical flow files (see Barron paper).

-- Extensive angular error estimation so that estimated flow can be compared to true flow field.

To start, open a suitable grayscale 8-bit stack [gif animation] and run Analyze --> Optic Flow --> FlowJ to the dialog with the following options:

-- 'Compute flow field' starts the computation of optical flow for the slice set in Frame, using the Algorithm. The flow field will be displayed in DC format at scale = 1.

-- 'Display' redisplays the flow field in a separate window. The size of the window is determined by Scale, and the visualization format by Mapping type.

-- 'Open flow field' opens an existing flow field in Burkitt format. 'Save flow field' saves in  Burkitt format

-- 'Error vs file' loads a true flow field (in Burkitt format), and computes the angular error as defined in Barron paper.

-- 'Errors to clipboard' copies angular error data including deviations to the clipboard

-- 'Copy central frame' shows the stack slice for which the flow was computed.

-- 'Graph' opens a window that shows a graph of measured versus true flow. A true flow field needs to be loaded for this to work.

Parameters:

-- 'Frame' sets the slice for which the flow is computed. The frame is set to the central slice in the stack by default.
-- 'Mapping' type selects the visualization algorithm used by Display

-- 'Rho' sets the flow magnitude (in pixels/frame) at which color mappings saturate.
-- 'Scaling' sets the enlargement for Display. Bilinear interpolation.

-- 'Algorithm' sets the estimation algorithm

-- 'Tau' sets the thresholds for Lucas-Kanade and Uras algorithms

-- 'Gradient method' sets how the gradient is computed. You can choose central difference, Gaussian (usually the best results) and nearest neighborhood (fastest and smallest support)

-- 'Sigma S / T' are the spatial and temporal scales at which the estimates are computed. These are dimensionless and set the standard deviation for the probability function associated with the Gaussian kernel.

-- 'Regularization' for Uras only, sets the scale in pixels at which the flow vectors are regularized.

-- 'Sigma W' for the Lucas-Kanade algorithm: the scale of the local region W in which flow vectors are constrained to be regular.

The parameters refer to the differing algorithms (LK = Lucas and Kanade, U = Uras, FJ = Fleet and Jepson, S = Singh). Those not mentioned above are algorithm-specific and best explained in the first paper below. [The cites are all old; look up the titles in Google Scholar, go to subsequent citing papers, sort these by date.]

Barron, J. L., Fleet D.J., and Beauchemin S.S., "Performance of Optical Flow Techniques," Int J Comp Vis 1994.

Niessen, WJ "A Multiscale Approach to Image Sequence Analysis," Comp Vis Imag Understand , vol. 651997.

Lucas, B "An Iterative Image Registration Technique with an Application to Stereo Vision", in Proc. DARPA Image Understanding Workshop, 1981.

Fleet, D. J. and Jepson, A. D., "Hierarchical Construction of Orientation and Velocity Selective Filters," IEEE Trans Patt Anal Mach Intell 1989.

Fleet, DJ "Computation of Component Image Velocity From Local Phase Information," Int J Comp Vis 1990.

Uras, S "A Computational Approach to Motion Perception," Biol Cybern 1988.

Singh, A " An estimation-theoretic framework for image-flow computation" Proc. 3rd Intern. Conf Comput Vis., 1990.

M.D. Abràmoff: Objective Quantification of the Motion of Soft Tissues. IEEE TMI. 2000 19 (10): 986-995.

Wijk, J.J. van. Spot noise - Texture Synthesis for Data Visualization. 
Computer Graphics, 25(4) 1991
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 12:33:39 PM by A-Team »

A-Team

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: March 13, 2016, 12:44:33 PM »
Below is the 09 Mar 16 Landsat of Jakobshavn shown at 10 m (bicubic from 15 m at 16 bit). It is a rather cloudy image but miraculously the calving front is visible. It is quite pebbly and crevassed.

Sentinel 1A has a GRDH IW available for 10 Mar 16 to allow cross-comparison (2nd image, or see Espen's Sentinel vs Sentinel animation below). It is not re-projected to UTM22 -- which would help with the two-frame animation of Sentinel vs Landsat -- but covers the same scene.

Sentinel 2A does not yet have any coverage of west central Greenland though we expect it in a bit. These files are enormous at 5.8 GB, some 7x the size of a Landset folder. I downloaded one that was mostly blacked out which greatly reduces file size but that obviously loses coverage.

We actually have a separate forum over in Developers Corner for discussing the new Sentinel 2A resource. Right now, Sentinel's file format is an unresolved nightmare involving their very peculiar choice of .jp2 (jpeg2000) as image file format. It cannot be displayed on this forum or for that matter anywhere on the web.

http://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php?topic=1348.0

This abandoned file format cannot be opened in ImageJ or Imagemagick because the files are too large and complex to be supported in Java. Don't look for that to be remedied any time soon by Oracle. There's nothing the programmers can do on their own.

Gimp can open these but only in 8-bit depth whereas Sentinel 2A is, like Landsat, 12-bit bumped to 16-bit by bicubic interpolation. As opened as layers in Gimp, the .jp2 provide a crazy range of 6 different resolutions. This makes no sense as users can easily reduce resolution to anything they want -- which would hardly ever be ibe of the 5 small ones provided.

Tealight made the very important observation that Sentinel 2A will be served via EarthExplorer by mid-year. Hopefully they will toss the jp2 and serve as tif. However so far, that's not happening.

EarthExplorer has a checkbox for Sentinel 2A right now in its Data Sets column that allows a bypass of the klutzy Sentinel portal. USGS serves a decent RGB (bands 2-4) preview that will open in Gimp but again not in ImageJ because it's in GeoTIFF format, not TIFF.

That's a pity because ImageJ allows contrast enhancement in 16-bit mode prior to making the 3 x 8-bit RGB. This is a huge issue over ice at high latitude (Antarctica, Canada, Alaska, Greenland). True, the RGB can be split into its channels, enhanced, and reassembled back to RGB but only in 8-bit.

USGS additionally serves a very similar jpeg2000 as a Tile (same old ESA). Coverage is very limited as yet. I saw a tiny corner of Iceland but no Greenland yet.

As part of testing of the ESA-USGS operational distribution flow, a limited number of Sentinel-2A products are now available for search and download via USGS EarthExplorer.

The anticipated product options from USGS will include a Full-Resolution Browse (FRB) image product generated by USGS, along with a 100 x 100 km tile-based Level-1C top-of-atmosphere (TOA) reflectance product that will be very similar (but not identical) to the currently distributed ESA Level 1C product. An initial release of these two product types is anticipated in early-mid 2016.

We would welcome any available input or feedback from the user community. Please provide comments or suggestions regarding the future Sentinel-2A product options to: custserv@usgs.gov (link sends e-mail)
I hope a lot of users here will write USGS about how to improve this service. Otherwise we are going to be effectively shut out of Sentinel 2A (because ESA does not welcome end-user imput).

Good documentation and sample files at http://eros.usgs.gov/sentinel-2 if you open all the done-wrong triangles.

Looks like GeoJasper can do the conversion out of jp2: http://www.dimin.net/software/geojasper/
tif3f2jp2  - converts 3 TIFF 1 channel images into RGB jp2 (5 times compr),
             ex: tif2jp2 geo1.tif geo2.tif geo3.tif geo.jp2

tif2geotif - converts TIFF image plus world file into GeoTIFF
             (must have: img.tif img.tfw)
             ex: tif2geotif img.tif img

listgeojp2 - prints Geo information contained in the file without
             actually decoding it,
             ex: listgeojp2 geo.jp2

jp2tif4tiles - converts JPEG2000 into tiled TIFF with tile size 256x256
               ex: jp2tif geo.jp2 geo.tif

jp2tif4tiles64 - converts JPEG2000 into tiled TIFF with tile size 64x64
                 ex: jp2tif geo.jp2 geo.tif
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 07:25:46 PM by A-Team »

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 421
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #1347 on: March 13, 2016, 01:25:45 PM »
The ice fall at the northern shore of the southern branch, seems to be more active :
Have a ice day!

A-Team

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: March 13, 2016, 04:44:15 PM »
The ice fall at the northern shore of the southern branch, seems to be more active
Note Espen is properly comparing 'type 1' Sentinels as defined in #1339 (ie 12 days apart or one full orbital cycle).

Similar action is seen on the first Landsat pair for Jakobshavn for 2016, at 10 m. Here day 62 is a path,row 09 11 which has slightly different geometry than the 08 12 of day 71. The main ice stream has come forward some 287 meters in 9 days (~30 m/d near the front, feature-tracking not shown) but not done much calving.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 06:39:04 PM by A-Team »

A-Team

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: March 13, 2016, 08:02:42 PM »
Brief re-post of an earlier announcement.

If enough of us write custserv@usgs.gov requesting the Sentinel 2A images be offered in a people-friendly format, it would bring huge benefit to all our northern latitude forums.

There is more detail over in Developers Corner discussing the new Sentinel 2A scenes. Right now, Sentinel 2As file format is an unresolved nightmare involving a very peculiar choice of the abandoned.jp2 (jpeg2000) to display the new satellite images.

These files cannot be opened on your desktop, they cannot be displayed on this forum, in fact they cannot be displayed on any internet browser. Why does Sentinel use it??? Maybe USGS would offer something better if they heard from us users!

EarthExplorer has begun to mirror the ESA Copernicus Sentinel 2A server. You can go there right now and download a scene to see what the problem is. Just use the checkbox for Sentinel 2A in the Data Sets column to bypass of the klutzy Sentinel portal. 

http://earthexplorer.usgs.gov/
http://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,1348.msg59097.html#msg59097
http://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,154.msg71668.html#msg71668

Good documentation and sample files at http://eros.usgs.gov/sentinel-2:

As part of testing of the ESA-USGS operational distribution flow, a limited number of Sentinel-2A products are now available for search and download via USGS EarthExplorer.

The anticipated product options from USGS will include a Full-Resolution Browse (FRB) image product generated by USGS, along with a 100 x 100 km tile-based Level-1C top-of-atmosphere (TOA) reflectance product that will be very similar (but not identical) to the currently distributed ESA Level 1C product. An initial release of these two product types is anticipated in early-mid 2016.

We would welcome any available input or feedback from the user community. Please provide comments or suggestions regarding the future Sentinel-2A product options to: custserv@usgs.gov
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 08:11:36 PM by A-Team »