Please support this Forum and Neven's Blog

Author Topic: Forum Decorum  (Read 3794 times)

DavidR

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
Forum Decorum
« on: May 26, 2016, 02:39:55 PM »
Decorum: behaviour in keeping with good taste and propriety.

Various people have made suggestions about how to make the forum more focussed and less cluttered. Here are some of them, feel free to add your own pet peeves.
  • Consider whether readers of the forum would benefit from your comment before posting.
  • Posting multiple times in a row is generally against forum etiquette. If you have something additional to add and your post is still the last in a thread, edit your post.
  • If you have multiple people to reply to, do it in a single post.
  • When quoting someone else, try to cut away all the text that isn't pertinent to your answer.
  • Avoid comments which contain more blurb than information
  • Avoid personal comment which says very little of interest.
  • Avoid long winded sign offs. 1 line is acceptable, 3 lines or more is a self indulgence.
  • Avoid reposting images in the same thread. .
  • Where possible include a link rather than regurgitating swathes of information. But can we please have at least a small synopsis of what the link is referring to.
  • And those left-open parentheses : I have to say I  don't personally  agree with  complaints based on poor spelling, language difficulties or predictive text
  • Avoid starting multiple threads about the same subject,  check for an existing thread
  • Use a different thread if the subject is off topic for the one you are on
  • If you think a particular poster is behaving inappropriately, try sending them a PM and explain to them what you think they are doing wrong and how they could improve.
  • keep calm and reply tomorrow
We can tolerate some of this stuff, but rather not in well-frequented threads.
It should be understood that these types of "rules" aren't meant to censor. Each and every one of us has a personality, and that should be allowed to shine through in our comments .

"I for one would really like a 'Like' button.": Unfortunately  this is not currently possible on this platform
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 06:57:46 AM by DavidR »

DoomInTheUK

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Decoruim
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 04:35:18 PM »
  • Where possible include a link rather than regurgitating swathes of information.

But can we please have at least a small synopsis of what the link is referring to.

Neven

• Administrator
  • ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
Re: Forum Decoruim
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 05:05:08 PM »
  • Don't open threads in the wrong category
  • Avoid typos

Just kidding, DavidR. Thanks for opening this thread. I'll be sure to refer to it.

I can tolerate some of this stuff, but rather not in well-frequented threads. Like sis says, things are going pretty well, I'd say. I barely have to moderate, and I'm the only moderator (with Dungeon Master providing back-up when needed.
Il faut cultiver notre jardin

Tor Bejnar

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Decorum
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 05:13:46 PM »
And those left-open parentheses  ;D  ::)

I certainly appreciate the request/demand to keep the busiest threads free from jokes, asides, off-topic comments and 'bulk'.  And I also appreciate the humor, dry or unintentional, that happens within this community, and often enjoy reading the banter between my co-commenters.  And now I'll just refuse to enjoy such behavior when on the currently-favored threads.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 01:09:08 AM by Tor Bejnar »
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things.

pccp82

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 12:29:55 AM »
especially since i am just interested in this topic and not an expert, I go with this:

2 ears, one mouth.

Eli81

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 10:33:13 AM »
Thanks for posting, these are definitely things everyone should keep in mind. I think there is an element of excitement this year especially.

It should be understood that these types of "rules" aren't meant to censor. Each and every one of us has a personality, and that should be allowed to shine through in our comments - nobody expects you to be a robot, and its natural for humans to have conversations. Over time, friendships develop, etc.

Forums are really an amazing tool to share information, and our lives - even if just a little bit. Never before has humanity been able to socialize and discuss such important topics on such a scale. I'm quite sure it has and continues to have profound impacts on humanity. It's true that most people "dig in" when confronted with a reality they don't believe in or agree with, but there has also been tremendous enlightenment and education.

The rules shouldn't be set in stone; constant censorship will indeed scare people away. I'm sure Neven is quite aware of this. He does an excellent job of moderating here. Casual and laid back, just like any other member - with perhaps some gentle prodding here and there.  But will put his foot down when necessary, and that's exactly how it should be. Nobody should feel like they are walking on eggshells.  Feel free to talk and comment.. Just when you do it, try and post something relevant to the thread too. That's far better than not, at least. 

Also, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9q2jNjOPdk

Made for another forum, but still relevant.   ;D

seaicesailor

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 11:44:32 AM »
Love the edits, great list and idea DavidR. It is good to have it for reference.
I should add 'keep calm and reply tomorrow'.

Anne

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 12:06:39 PM »
I don't know if it's possible, or whether if it's possible it would be a good idea, but I for one would really like a 'Like' button. I often want to express appreciation of a post but don't because I don't want to clog up the threads. Other people are less inhibited. I reckon it would reduce the number of contentless posts.

P-maker

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 12:15:20 PM »
Or rather,

Act today and post tomorrow!

Andreas T

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2016, 02:29:16 PM »
I don't know if it's possible, or whether if it's possible it would be a good idea, but I for one would really like a 'Like' button. I often want to express appreciation of a post but don't because I don't want to clog up the threads. Other people are less inhibited. I reckon it would reduce the number of contentless posts.
I agree (thereby adding an almost contentless post)  ;)
I think the commenters here are mostly grown up enough to not turn this into some popularity contest. If it turns into a distraction it could be dropped at any time?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 02:34:23 PM by Andreas T »

magnamentis

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
    • Nexpaq Modular ARA iOS Software Mobile Computing Phones Philosophy Ethics Numerology Mikrocirkulation Vaskular Therapie Gesundheit Blut Gesundheit Schmerzen Multipelsklerose Diabetes Immunsystem Fibromyalgie
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2016, 07:13:06 PM »

yes, thanks for posting this, i posted the proposal earlier this year and if many enough mention this from time to time, it will eventually happen. a simple thanks/like button is cleaner and also less prone to blabla.. than to show appreciation in words. 100% concur and it would definitely help to keep the ever growing forum clean that was a topic as well recently.

:good:
http://magnamentis.com
Knowledge, Understanding & Insight Are Among The Best Sources For Personal Freedom & Vitality !

oren

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2016, 07:20:05 PM »
Avoid starting multiple threads about the same subject.

Tor Bejnar

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2016, 01:48:56 AM »
Last year, and probably before, some have asked for a "like" button.  I recall Neven sharing that the system we use here (don't know the techno-jargon) doesn't have the capability.
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things.

A-Team

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2016, 04:41:37 AM »
That is an interesting concept. For example, the top 25 'likes' of the week (month?) might make a fairly good reading list for people too busy to follow the daily goings on over so many forums.

magnamentis

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
    • Nexpaq Modular ARA iOS Software Mobile Computing Phones Philosophy Ethics Numerology Mikrocirkulation Vaskular Therapie Gesundheit Blut Gesundheit Schmerzen Multipelsklerose Diabetes Immunsystem Fibromyalgie
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2016, 02:08:21 PM »
That is an interesting concept. For example, the top 25 'likes' of the week (month?) might make a fairly good reading list for people too busy to follow the daily goings on over so many forums.

true that, added this in another thread:

http://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,28.msg78542.html#msg78542
Knowledge, Understanding & Insight Are Among The Best Sources For Personal Freedom & Vitality !

ael

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2016, 05:56:58 PM »
If you think a particular poster is behaving inappropriately, try sending them a PM and explain to them what you think they are doing wrong and how they could improve.

Pointing out their failures publicly is inevitably an off topic post, can lead to a flame war and likely will wind up with the loss of a participant.  Only do it if you are willing to drive that person off the forums (or be tossed off yourself if it turns out that more people want them than you!)

magnamentis

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2016, 07:46:42 PM »
If you think a particular poster is behaving inappropriately, try sending them a PM and explain to them what you think they are doing wrong and how they could improve.

Pointing out their failures publicly is inevitably an off topic post, can lead to a flame war and likely will wind up with the loss of a participant.  Only do it if you are willing to drive that person off the forums (or be tossed off yourself if it turns out that more people want them than you!)

while what you say is correct i'm not quite sure what or whom you mean. if you are OT on the like button, as far as i remember no-one has ever asked for a dislike button, just for the thumb-up, which is why i call it "thanks" button. should you have meant something else or someone specific that info was missing and you could perhaps elaborate :-) even via PM if you find that more appropriate. sorry that when i missed something, just wasn't sure and couldn't make a clear connection, no offense meant.

ael

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2016, 09:16:47 PM »
I was not talking about the like button.

I was simply sharing some of my observations about what ought to be considered useful conduct on this forum and others. (i.e. decorum).

Better to critique a person's behaviour in private (at first anyway).
It is hard for people to continue to participate once they have been publicly shamed.

magnamentis

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2016, 10:49:50 PM »
ok, thanks for the clarification :-)

as already stated i fully agree with your statement but then i must say that this forum is quite nice to read
compared to others. i'm signed up to over 150 forums for professional reasons and this forum is really ok.
further human shortcomings show everywhere, are often relative and even good people looser their temper
from time to time.

enjoy furhter :-)