Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Decaying Tropical Cyclones?  (Read 5262 times)

JimboOmega

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
Decaying Tropical Cyclones?
« on: June 06, 2016, 06:16:19 PM »
So being the weather geek I am I was watching Tropical Storm Colin.  I noticed the last point the NHC has for the (by then extratropical) cyclone is at 55N, heading Northeast, and still reasonably strong (45kt winds)

Do these storms affect the ice in a way that a "native" arctic cyclone wouldn't?  Is it unlikely to ever get to that high a latitude to matter? Do the waves kicked up smash the ice at the margins?

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 87
Re: Decaying Tropical Cyclones?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 08:01:08 PM »
I suggest you check out:

The 2016 Atlantic Hurricane Season

and:

New Year 2016 Arctic Meltdown Update

Ex North Atlantic tropical storms don't "smash the ice at the margins" as a rule, but other sorts of storms have certainly been known to.
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

Gray-Wolf

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 131
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 09:20:35 PM »
I think time's are a changin' !

The warm pool that enabled Sandy to keep so strong may well give us a rapid transfer of a tropical system, should it plough on north and enter the Basin above Nares, into the basin still with a 'warm core' and all that may well imbue to the thick ice to the north of Greenland/C.A.?
KOYAANISQATSI

ko.yaa.nis.katsi (from the Hopi language), n. 1. crazy life. 2. life in turmoil. 3. life disintegrating. 4. life out of balance. 5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.

VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS

jdallen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 651
  • Likes Given: 244
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 01:03:23 AM »
I think time's are a changin' !

The warm pool that enabled Sandy to keep so strong may well give us a rapid transfer of a tropical system, should it plough on north and enter the Basin above Nares, into the basin still with a 'warm core' and all that may well imbue to the thick ice to the north of Greenland/C.A.?
And I think we have just identified one of our "wild cards" for the current melt season - subtropical cyclones blowing through high latitudes mostly intact to bring "warm core" storms far further north than they have any right to be....
This space for Rent.

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 07:10:42 AM »
Speaking of decaying tropical cyclones, I live in mid-peninsula Florida, Pasco county and t.s. Colin is proving to be a bit of a bust! The storm is making landfall near the panhandle, but the weather so far has been little more than typical June weather. Not that I'm complaining, because at this time of year, Florida is an easy target.

jdallen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 651
  • Likes Given: 244
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 09:24:58 AM »
Speaking of decaying tropical cyclones, I live in mid-peninsula Florida, Pasco county and t.s. Colin is proving to be a bit of a bust! The storm is making landfall near the panhandle, but the weather so far has been little more than typical June weather. Not that I'm complaining, because at this time of year, Florida is an easy target.
Glad to hear that.  I have lots of friends all over the state, and I stiffen every time I hear about a storm heading that way.

That said, I will be very interested to see what happens when the storm completes its passage over the pan handle and reconnects with the extraordinarily warm water off the Eastern Seaboard of the US.  IIRC, the last TS didn't spin itself up until it was north of the Bahamas...
This space for Rent.

Tensor

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 04:51:37 PM »

Sarasota here.  We got nailed. We were in one of the trains of storms. Very heavy rain, winds to 40. 
Paid Insane Murdoch Drone

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 02:19:32 AM »
Sarasota here.  We got nailed. We were in one of the trains of storms. Very heavy rain, winds to 40. 

Not surprised being so near the coast. I heard yesterday that they had to close the skyway bridge due to gusts over 50mph. We live in Zephyrhills. The worst part of the rain we received came down this morning, after I had posted. Retention ponds are near capacity now!