Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Article links: drop them here!  (Read 100702 times)

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 20
Re: Article links: drop them here!
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2016, 11:23:19 PM »
1000 hectares brûlés avant que des incendies contrôlés dans le sud de la France.
(1000 hectares burned before fires controlled in South France.)

www.foxnews.com/world/2016/09/06/wildfires-under-control-in-south-france.html

www.reuters.com/video/2016/09/06/french-countryside-ravaged-by-wildfire?videoId=369771480&videoChannel=117760
"....and the appointed time came for God to bring to ruin those ruining the earth." Revelation 11:18.

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2016, 05:28:35 PM »
I have been fighting a bug and got kinda lazy for a few days. I figured the summer heat was dying down anyway, and things would quieten down. WRONG!
Just look at floodlist.com Too many for me to post links to all individually. This is just the last few days.

Flooding in Florida U.S.A. from Hermine

Floods and landslides in Honduras with evacuations and hundreds of homes destroyed.

Flooding and deaths from typhoon in Japan.

200,000 affected and 98 dead from Sudan flooding.

Storms and floods leave 4 dead in Iran.

Deadly floods in N. Korea, Eastern China, and Russia. 60 dead in N. Korea with 40,000 displaced.

3 dead and 2000 houses destroyed or damaged in Mexico.
Thailand reports damage to livestock, vehicles, and crops from flash floods.

http://floodlist.com/news
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 05:15:18 AM by Tigertown »
"....and the appointed time came for God to bring to ruin those ruining the earth." Revelation 11:18.

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2016, 06:02:44 AM »
Thawing glaciers and permafrost in Tibet is causing landslides and flooding in outlying areas, among
other problems.
www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-37249193

Picture shows new lakes appearing from melt waters.

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2016, 06:27:06 AM »
Massive wildfires still burning in Spain and Portugal, not being helped by unusually hot temperatures.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/07/firefighters-in-spain-and-portugal-battle-massive-wildfires/

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2016, 02:19:47 PM »
133 dead and 400 missing.

www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-37335857

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2016, 09:07:58 PM »
Super typhoon Meranti with maximum sustained winds of 185mph is passing between Taiwan and the Philippines on its way to landfall in China.

mati

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2016, 03:32:43 PM »
Five scientists based at the weather station on Troynoy island, in the Kara Sea north of Siberia, were encircled by 10 adult bears and some cubs

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/14/russian-scientists-trapped-arctic-polar-bears-month-wait-rescue

and so it goes

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2016, 01:34:55 AM »

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2016, 05:28:31 AM »
Wildfire in Peru Amazon.The Amazon used to be one of the word's most dependable carbon sinks.

www.reuters.com/article/us-peru-wildfire-idUSKCN11L2S6

prokaryotes

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • Climate State
  • Liked: 47
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2016, 01:23:00 PM »
Wrote a blog yesterday on a complex issue, feedback is welcome, might missed something, or made something not clear enough.

Cleaner Air, The Ocean, and Global Warming
http://climatestate.com/2016/09/16/cleaner-air-the-ocean-and-global-warming/

prokaryotes

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • Climate State
  • Liked: 47
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2016, 01:44:31 PM »
Environmental Concerns — and Anger — Grow in Month After Thousand-Year Flood Strikes Louisiana http://www.desmogblog.com/2016/09/17/environmental-concerns-and-anger-grow-month-after-thousand-year-flood-strikes-louisiana

solartim27

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 75
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2016, 06:10:30 PM »
There is an appropriate thread for every post in this thread.  This is just muddying the waters.
FNORD

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2016, 11:14:02 AM »
It'd be muddying if people start dropping article links in threads where they don't belong. It's a forum, there will be some overlap.

On the other hand, a lot of the articles here would also fit in very well in the Weird Weather and anecdotal stories about climate change thread.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2016, 04:55:00 PM »
I have no problem at all if someone sees an article here, and wants to post it again in another thread.
I don't even care about credit, if its from one of my posts. I do however, think it serves a purpose to
have all this information in one thread so as to show the overall impact of climate change. My brother
posts a lot of links on Facebook,since I don't do Facebook, and so many people comment about how hard it is to find out what's happening through mainstream media, and are shocked to find out from his posts. Most of the links to Articles that I have posted were found on back pages, not the first page of news sites. I have no doubt many tie in with other threads, but it's also a good thing to be able to see the big picture, not just any one aspect at a time.

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 744
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2016, 05:29:53 PM »
Prokaryotes, Re. The Claw hypothesis .

http://www.whoi.edu/fileserver.do?id=211986&pt=2&p=209489

Mesocosm studies show an increase in DMSP under future ocean acidification conditions but ironically they also show a decrease in DMS. As usual there are a couple contradictory results .

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2016, 01:26:02 AM »
If you live in the U.S. and hadn't noticed, there are a lot of dead trees.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/sep/19/tree-death-california-hawaii-sudden-oak

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2016, 06:50:59 PM »
Speaking of floods, here we go again. Iowa is flooding in U.S.

whotv.com/2016/08/24/flooding-in-northeast-iowa-after-more-than-7-inches-of-rain-falls/

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2016, 11:41:14 PM »
I posted about the flooding in the mid-west U.S.A. earlier, but had no idea how bad it was until I saw it on the Weather Channel.

https://weather.com/storms/severe/video/more-flooding-to-come-for-the-midwest-0

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2016, 04:08:11 AM »
The D.C. area of the U.S. is about to have a meet and greet with a weather blocking pattern caused by a messed up jet steam.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2016/09/28/this-is-why-the-d-c-region-could-see-torrential-flooding-rain-this-week/

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2016, 12:07:00 AM »
Lakes in the Mid-East drying up while flooding persists elsewhere.

www.vox.com/world/2016/9/29/13097582/climate-change-iran

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2016, 06:31:55 AM »

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2016, 02:02:38 AM »
More trees dying

www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/climate-change-music-data-sonification_us_57fd9494e4b0e9c70229d691

Picture: Dead Yellow Cedar trees on Chichagof Island in the Tongass National Forest

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2016, 04:13:21 AM »
21 dead and thousands of homes under water.

www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-37672862

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2016, 05:57:38 AM »

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2016, 12:24:11 AM »

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 06:11:40 AM by Tigertown »

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2016, 05:58:19 AM »
I mentioned  on the other thread all the flooding going on all over the world. It is still happening in many places.

Vietnam is one.   http://floodlist.com/asia/vietnam-13-provinces-november-2016

Also, Mexico.    http://floodlist.com/america/mexico-floods-tamaulipas-veracruz-chihuahua-leave-2-dead

And Haiti.    http://floodlist.com/america/haiti-flooding-leaves-10-dead

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2016, 08:02:55 AM »
Albania, Montenegro, and Serbia. To some of you all on here, right under your noses. Still not a major story to be mentioned on the tv news, including BBC, which I just watched. No mention of the flooding there or else where.

http://floodlist.com/europe/albania-montenegro-serbia-floods-november-2016

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 10, 2016, 08:09:05 AM »
Where I live we have severe drought. I am in the D3-D4 area, second worst zone.
http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/Home/RegionalDroughtMonitor.aspx?southeast

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 10, 2016, 07:36:36 PM »
More severe flooding in Thailand and Indonesia, affecting thousands.

http://floodlist.com/asia/floods-indonesia-malaysia-thailand-november-2016

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2016, 06:15:41 AM »

magnamentis

« Reply #83 on: November 11, 2016, 07:47:31 PM »
200mm of rain in 24 hrs.
http://floodlist.com/america/dominican-republic-20000-people-displaced-floods-november-2016

while i'm sure that we agree on most of the facts discussed in this forum i still want to say that IMO
it's not helping our case to mention every flood and tornado because there have alway been sufficient floodings and storms that deniers could easily discard those and use their mention to
tell to themselves and the uneducated part of the population that climate change is made up.

i hope that i was able to submit my concern without appearing to contradict you and or give the impression that i'm not aware of the increase in number and servereness of such events. it's just that to point those out can be counterproductive when it comes to convince as many as possible of
what's going on.

i'm ready to stand corrected if i'm wrong, if you think it's too complicated or controvers we can exchange a few thought via PM.

my key point is that there is a lot to psychology and people have to be fetched where they are, even though if that means to hold back a few things that give room to interpretation for some.

cheers

8) ;)

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 11, 2016, 08:23:25 PM »
Actually, I skip the minor ones, and try to mention only the devastating, abnormal ones that affect thousands of people. The problem is that these are increasing in impact and frequency. In my country, though things have improved some, the media  gives most time to what happens to people similar to themselves, and not much coverage otherwise. At least, so it seems. I too, reserve the privilege to be corrected.

I will try to weed out any story that is not extraordinary, but that can be subject to each one's perspective.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 08:29:52 PM by Tigertown »

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2016, 08:45:37 PM »
This is a big deal to me, as I have lived in this area my whole life. I have cleared land before and the trees that grow here have always been hard to burn. A lot of long leaf pines around here are not bad about drying out like the short leaf ones out west. But they are burning now, in multiple fires, with smoke everywhere.

www.foxnews.com/us/2016/11/10/wildfires-break-out-across-southeast-amid-deepening-drought.html

Video footage at:
https://weather.com/news/news/southeast-wildfires

magnamentis

« Reply #86 on: November 11, 2016, 09:04:39 PM »
Actually, I skip the minor ones, and try to mention only the devastating, abnormal ones that affect thousands of people. The problem is that these are increasing in impact and frequency. In my country, though things have improved some, the media  gives most time to what happens to people similar to themselves, and not much coverage otherwise. At least, so it seems. I too, reserve the privilege to be corrected.

I will try to weed out any story that is not extraordinary, but that can be subject to each one's perspective.

that's totally up to you, it was just something to consider. in case of doubt facts are facts and are never wrong to be shared and communicated, only that people often explicitly tend to supress facts that don't fit into their thinking pattern or palette of interests.

under a dictatorship for expample it's sometimes wise to keep facts for oneselves, survive and use that knowledge when the right time has come, not the best of examples but i'm busy and don't have to time to ponder over a better one LOL. enjoy further and it's my pleasure to read through your various contributions  8)

P-maker

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 72
« Reply #87 on: November 11, 2016, 10:27:21 PM »
Tigertown:

This is a big deal to me

Agree! When this happens, you are the only person able to put it into context, reflect on the past and give it a personal touch and an emotional perspective.

Having travelled these tracts myself many years ago, I just happened to rediscover the name of an old  - long forgotten - photographer in one of your links. This brings back nice memories of BBQs, cold beers on the back porch and interesting conversations with intelligent people. Nice to remember during these times of hardship for the American people.

Magnamentis,

I agree, that too many extreme cases are boring. Please allow those affecting contributors here to seep through. Small and large ones may be relevant at different times. It is not only the facts, the inches, the mm's or the number of casualties that count. It is the perceived relevance for people, who may be in a position to act forcefully and with purpose during difficult times, that is of the essence.

magnamentis

« Reply #88 on: November 11, 2016, 10:54:47 PM »
Tigertown:

This is a big deal to me

Agree! When this happens, you are the only person able to put it into context, reflect on the past and give it a personal touch and an emotional perspective.

Having travelled these tracts myself many years ago, I just happened to rediscover the name of an old  - long forgotten - photographer in one of your links. This brings back nice memories of BBQs, cold beers on the back porch and interesting conversations with intelligent people. Nice to remember during these times of hardship for the American people.

Magnamentis,

I agree, that too many extreme cases are boring. Please allow those affecting contributors here to seep through. Small and large ones may be relevant at different times. It is not only the facts, the inches, the mm's or the number of casualties that count. It is the perceived relevance for people, who may be in a position to act forcefully and with purpose during difficult times, that is of the essence.

absolutely agree to everything, i hope i made that clear that it's neither about right and wrong or about allowed and not allowed but something to consider to select wisely and why :-)

sometimes it's not either or but as well as and then a freedom of choice and speech :-)

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2016, 04:42:39 AM »
Unprecedented. China's largest lake is dried up, with grass growing in the bed.
Video:
https://weather.com/science/environment/video/chinas-largest-freshwater-lake-dries-up-0

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 15, 2016, 06:01:28 AM »
U.N. weather agency slates 2016 as hottest year on record.
www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=55552#.WCqVkrIrLIU

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 20, 2016, 01:13:09 AM »
Forest die offs effecting the climate. Sounds like feedback.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/11/161117205122.htm

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 25, 2016, 04:10:24 PM »
http://floodlist.com/europe/italy-1-missing-rivers-overflow-piedmont

Video footage: gets pretty scary at about 12 minutes in.

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 26, 2016, 05:50:00 AM »
Researches discover methane releases on the increase on the Siberian side of the Arctic.

http://tpu.ru/en/news-events/987/

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 03, 2016, 05:44:17 AM »
Video tribute to the Ft. Mcmurray fire.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 05:51:01 AM by Tigertown »

mati

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #95 on: December 14, 2016, 12:14:59 AM »
and so it goes

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #96 on: December 14, 2016, 12:52:31 AM »
Sure, but was Jim Hunt riding it?  ;D
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 29, 2016, 11:50:58 AM »

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 31, 2016, 09:38:42 AM »