Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Computer Modeling Solutions  (Read 2227 times)

12Patrick

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Computer Modeling Solutions
« on: August 22, 2016, 01:21:34 AM »
Neven's blog should have a group that computer models solutions here. Evidently universities are not interested in that stuff..

OldLeatherneck

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
Re: Computer Modeling Solutions
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 02:09:18 AM »
The vast majority of members here on this forum are amateurs, albeit there are many members with a passion to understand the many aspects of AGW/CC who are also highly educated and very knowledgeable in any number of scientific disciplines.  However, no one on this forum has the financial resources to procure the computers with appropriate operating systems, let alone hire the required number of scientists and software engineers to develop robust models for potential solutions.  You must remember that every potential solution will require a unique suite of modelling algorithms tailored to that specific solution.

"Share Your Knowledge.  It's a Way to Achieve Immortality."  ......the Dalai Lama

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 760
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 02:38:58 AM »
12 Patrick, My ability to even run an I-Pad is less than most 12 year olds. I surely can't help you and I think damning the Pacific flow into the Arctic without figuring out how we first reduce our carbon inputs into the atmosphere to something near zero is something close to foolish.  Reducing carbon inputs has to be our #1 priority or you at best are like the Dutch boy putting fingers in the dike. There is already enough atmospheric CO2 to cause enormous rises in sea level. Are you going to build your dam big enough to hold back sea level rise for the next 200 years?  If you look far enough into the future you might also want to figure how to keep the Atlantic from overflowing into the Pacific via the Isthmus in Panama . Just ranting I suppose. I happen to be worried about acidification but I try to keep those discussions on the Carbon Cycle page where they belong. People can choose to follow those discussions or not but solutions to that issue also revolve around CO2 emissions and the Bering dam idea doesn't address that issue at all. Maybe we can just agree that we all have our passions and frustration is I suppose better than indifference.

12Patrick

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 04:21:49 AM »
The vast majority of members here on this forum are amateurs, albeit there are many members with a passion to understand the many aspects of AGW/CC who are also highly educated and very knowledgeable in any number of scientific disciplines.  However, no one on this forum has the financial resources to procure the computers with appropriate operating systems, let alone hire the required number of scientists and software engineers to develop robust models for potential solutions.  You must remember that every potential solution will require a unique suite of modelling algorithms tailored to that specific solution.
Well let's get some university scientists over here to do it.They surly are not doing it at the universities..