Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: "Ice melts ever quicker..": thus we panic evermore!!  (Read 2161 times)

abbottisgone

• Frazil ice
  • "...I'm a rock'n'roll star,...... YES I ARE!!!!!!"
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
"Ice melts ever quicker..": thus we panic evermore!!
« on: August 23, 2016, 08:03:16 AM »
Dorian Escanier

Ice melts ever quicker because its surface area grows relative to its shrinking volume. This is a scientific fact that you can prove with a drink and an ice cube.

<<

This was written on a comment page by the aforementioned contributor @ https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2016/aug/22/historical-documents-reveal-arctic-sea-ice-is-disappearing-at-record-speed.

But I left school and grew my hair
They didn't understand
They wanted me to be respected as
A doctor or a lawyer man
But I had other plans..........

Gray-Wolf

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 131
  • Likes Given: 459
Re: "Ice melts ever quicker..": thus we panic evermore!!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 11:36:17 AM »
Hi abbotisgone!

I have to say the 'crackopalypse' events snook up on me and left me wondering what new misery was being visited on us but now it is becoming a lot clearer!

I believe we are looking at a basin evolving to melt out each summer. I know we all knew that but I kinda assumed it would be ever increasing temps that did the job........ not a reorganisation of the basin to allow current temps/weather patterns to allow for melt out over 'average' weather years!

Watching all ice types fall apart into small floes had me realise just what the 'crackopalypse years' meant to the basin.

I was starting to think that they were a positive thing in that they allowed drainage of melt ponds so allowed the ice to escape from any pre-conditioning by them ( but also by rendering the floes into ever smaller blocks so limiting extent of melt ponds?) but now I find that it is probably the very thing that allows the first sub- million pack even without an 07' type perfect melt storm?

The break up of contiguous ice means that any 'damping' effect is compromised allowing mixing of the ocean below even with full ice cover? Smaller floes travel faster so export potentials increase. Small floes melt out faster than large ones.

The whole evolution of a more fragmented pack glued together with FY late formed ice is now appearing to be the thing that finally killed year round ice in the basin. By the time this year's over more of the 'good ice' will be lost to the Atlantic to be replaced with more FY ice ready for next year.
KOYAANISQATSI

ko.yaa.nis.katsi (from the Hopi language), n. 1. crazy life. 2. life in turmoil. 3. life disintegrating. 4. life out of balance. 5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.

VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1336
  • Likes Given: 618
Re: "Ice melts ever quicker..": thus we panic evermore!!
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 11:20:50 PM »
Don't post nonsensical threads without a proper OP that may just as easily serve as a comment on another thread. Final warning, or I'm putting you on moderation.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith