Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Pat yourself on the back  (Read 1139 times)

Paddy

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
Pat yourself on the back
« on: September 08, 2016, 09:03:49 AM »
A thread to post about steps you've recently taken in the direction of sustainability.

For me, just a tiny step to report recently: getting and using a travel mug so I'm no longer going through endless disposable cups to fuel my caffeine habit.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 09:12:11 AM by Paddy »

josh-j

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Pat yourself on the back
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 07:54:20 PM »
This could be a good idea if it can encourage others to take steps too. But I don't want to make myself feel like I'm doing enough!

Anyway, I started taking a flask and cup to work for exactly the same reason. There are drinks machines in my office disposing endless plastic cups (for free) and half of them end up in the general waste so yeah, not good.

This year I am trying to see how much gas I can save by not heating my house (as low temperature as I can manage). I live in northern England and while its no Arctic, it can get pretty chilly (currently just below freezing outside) and my house is old. So it is now 8-9c inside the house. I do not recommend people go to this extreme (especially depending on health) but it has made me think about how what we consider as essential are really luxuries if we were really to treat climate change with the urgency it deserves. I have a warm sleeping bag wrapped around me and wearing 6 layers of clothes because I'm sitting at my desk. Only my hands are cold... :) (also, I've been using this as a way to talk about the environment to my work colleagues - it is lighthearted as they think I'm mad, but it means I can talk about things like decarbonisation!)

Neven

• Administrator
  • ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 12:29:59 AM »
Well done, Josh.  :)

I hope to move forward again in 2018, because frankly, I'm not satisfied right now. It's insane how much stuff a family needs (or thinks it needs). And my daughter suddenly couldn't play basketball at the local club anymore, so now I'm driving her to another club in the nearest city, 60 km away, every two weeks. But they play at the national level and so this weekend we drove almost 700 km for a game (all the parents with their kids). It's insane, but as she's home-schooled, we need to make sure she gets out enough. Maybe we'll just have to buy an EV next year, but they don't grow on trees (either financially or ecologically).

One good thing we did this year, was snatch a plot of land from the agricultural war machine. We'll plant trees next autumn.
Il faut cultiver notre jardin

etienne

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 01:48:22 PM »
Hello,

Here is the document to help you :
https://www.historicenvironment.scot/archives-and-research/publications/publication/?publicationId=f2f2ebfd-ff37-4417-be92-a59400bb2665

It is really interesting. I used some of the ideas that are in the document, but most of them don't pass the "wife acceptance test" at home.

Good luck,

Etienne

josh-j

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 07:49:18 PM »
Thanks Etienne, that is a very interesting study. I particularly like the details about older furniture design like winged or hooded chairs.

My house is very badly laid out for heat because previous owners removed dividing walls and made the whole ground floor open-plan. If I live here long enough I might reinstate the old walls so I can trap heat in the living room.

etienne

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 08:23:59 PM »
I always thought that people weren't stupid in the old times, and weren't very rich either, so usually old houses are very energy efficient if you use them like in those times. So before changing something, it's always good to think at why people built houses that way.

Of course, houses could have been even more efficient, but insulation material (stroh, wood...) just wasn't available in the quantities we have now (and we only have these quantities available because most people insulate with styrofoam, rockwool or similar materials).

pileus

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 03:52:10 PM »
I have continued my practice of not eating ruminants, and have extended it to all four legged creatures.  I moved close to an urban core and have increased my walking/significantly decreased my driving.  I now use almost no AC or heating in my home.  What I am most “proud” of though, is a growing commitment to reduce my consumption of products and things in general.  When I do need something, I try to shop local, and I sense there will be a growing backlash away from Amazon and the other consumer monopolies in the coming years.