Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Trump  (Read 1473807 times)

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: Presidential poll for US citizens on the forum
« Reply #450 on: November 09, 2016, 08:01:34 AM »
Nate Silver unlike most at least kept entertaining the possibility of a Donald victory, his model was the most bullish on it by far.

Believe that if you want but he was way off the mark. Of course, so was everyone else.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 08:13:22 AM by budmantis »

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: November 09, 2016, 08:20:27 AM »
Sleepy, that sounds like a good idea. Those 'murican f*******s may rot in hell they've created. Should we start a forum only for peoples who accept science?

Come on PMT, is that really the language of science? Besides, those 'murican f-----s happen to be fellow citizens of mine and I don't take kindly to that kind of talk, even if I disagree with them.

Sleepy

« Reply #452 on: November 09, 2016, 08:22:43 AM »
Having problems accessing the forum today. Anyone else?

Sleepy, that sounds like a good idea. Those 'murican f*******s may rot in hell they've created. Should we start a forum only for peoples who accept science?
Looks like home! (Your picture) Go out and make some angels in the snow, it's refreshing! :)

Their hell is ours as well, SD representatives here calls this a victory for democracy.  ::)
I guess a lot of Trump voters will be humming to "It's a heartache" soon. Replace "him" with "Trump" in the lyrics.

Starting a forum for only those who accept science sound good, but not that easy when you consider freedom of speach and education for those who don't accept science. That seems to be half of the population in the western world nowadays.

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: November 09, 2016, 08:33:06 AM »
Yeah Sleepy, I've been having connection problems too. Speaking of making angels in the snow, are we talking of doing this in the nude? Oops, I forgot, no snow down here in Florida! How about a lawn angel?

Iain

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 118
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #454 on: November 09, 2016, 08:35:38 AM »
Positive spin on the Trump victory.

First let's get our head around basic economics:
Money is worth nothing, no one ever pays for anything

Money today is just Fiat money, no intrinsic value.  Central banks can create money out of thin air without doing any work or giving any items of value in exchange for it.
Purchasing an item involves exchanging money for goods, the money was exchanged for work earlier. The item purchased is a product of work.
At the basic level the purchase was an exchange of one person's work for many other people's work throughout the supply chain.
All consumption of goods consumes energy, of services too because the service provider’s earnings allow them to consume in turn.

Trump is likely to go protectionist. The markets’ opinion, where there stock values reflect expected future profits, is that there is going to be less work in the world.

Without knowing it, Trump has taken a major step towards reducing consumption and therefore carbon emissions.
"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants." Isaac Newton

Sleepy

« Reply #455 on: November 09, 2016, 08:39:33 AM »
Yeah Sleepy, I've been having connection problems too. Speaking of making angels in the snow, are we talking of doing this in the nude? Oops, I forgot, no snow down here in Florida! How about a lawn angel?
Nude Yes! Lawn No! Cooling down is important, don't you have a large freezer or something similiar? :)

Edit; this is the Finnish way!

JayW

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 226
  • Likes Given: 292
« Reply #456 on: November 09, 2016, 08:46:27 AM »
Whatever the final outcome will be, this is a revolution agianst science, evolution and human progress. It also confirms the populistic trends all over this planet and will make it easier for the other populistic parties on this planet. It's a fucking disaster.

I'm embarrassed as an American. 
"To defy the laws of tradition, is a crusade only of the brave" - Les Claypool

Pmt111500

« Reply #457 on: November 09, 2016, 08:58:21 AM »
Nude Yes! Lawn No! Cooling down is important, don't you have a large freezer or something similiar? :)

Ah, maybe later in the winter. Not enough snow yet. By the way did you know rolling in snow is actually colder than dipping in frozen water? Anyway a sauna very near is quite essential for me at least. To honor the 'murican stupidity, i already drove a mile to get something to smoke and am planning to drive an additional 2 to get some alcohol. Then i might walk to a bar, and hurt my head.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #458 on: November 09, 2016, 09:09:20 AM »
Well , it seems like the first international consequences of Trump economics .. the freezing of Finlands assets :)
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

Sleepy

« Reply #459 on: November 09, 2016, 09:20:20 AM »
By the way did you know rolling in snow is actually colder than dipping in frozen water? Anyway a sauna very near is quite essential for me at least.
Yes to both, I woke my oldest daughter yesterday with a bag of snow when she refused to get out of bed.  ;D

Looking at Trump now saying he will restore the American way. :'(

be cause; There are populists in Finland as well, the perussuomalaiset. The true fins, whatever that is...
They have dropped in the polls to roughly half since the election, that's a positive development.

Pmt111500

« Reply #460 on: November 09, 2016, 09:42:14 AM »
Looking at Trump now saying he will restore the American way. :'(

be cause; There are populists in Finland as well, the perussuomalaiset. The true fins, whatever that is...
They have dropped in the polls to roughly half since the election, that's a positive development.
Yes, their win caused my camera to lose all colors for two months.
The American way has been for republicans to ruin the economy in no time. Well just have to see how fast it goes this time around.

To end on a slightly more positive note, some 'muricans know this way of cooling down too. I selected a young woman performing this action since i think it's more appropriate during this governement:

Sleepy

« Reply #461 on: November 09, 2016, 10:03:37 AM »
To summarize; Finland is sobering up and the US will be hitting the booze.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
« Reply #462 on: November 09, 2016, 10:57:04 AM »
The world has a new view of America:

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/2016-election-day/world-reacts-trump-s-election-win-it-s-end-era-n681031

Extract: "Before Hillary Clinton conceded the race, a senior member of German Chancellor Angela Merkel's government said the geopolitical situation was "very uncertain."

"We're realizing now that we have no idea what this American president will do if the voice of anger enters office and the voice of anger becomes the most powerful man in the world," Norbert Roettgen, a member of Merkel's Christian Democratic Union (CDU) and head of the German parliament's foreign affairs committee, said on Deutschlandfunk radio.

French Ambassador to the U.S. Gerard Araud foretold of a new world order. "After Brexit and this election, everything from now on is possible," Araud tweeted. "A world is collapsing before our eyes. Vertigo."

"It's the end of an era, that of neoliberalism. What will succeed it, is yet to be known," Araud said in another tweet. Both tweets were later deleted.

Chinese state media outlets cast the result as a sign of America's democracy in crisis in contrast to China's perceived stability under authoritarian rule.
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

Gray-Wolf

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 131
  • Likes Given: 458
« Reply #463 on: November 09, 2016, 11:25:31 AM »
The other votes went well? I know how californian's will be consoling themselves!!! ;)
KOYAANISQATSI

ko.yaa.nis.katsi (from the Hopi language), n. 1. crazy life. 2. life in turmoil. 3. life disintegrating. 4. life out of balance. 5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.

VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
« Reply #464 on: November 09, 2016, 11:49:58 AM »
The linked article is entitled: "Republican Donald Trump Is Elected President Of United States And Global Markets Plunge".  There is a price to be paid for such arrogant ignorance:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/antoinegara/2016/11/09/global-markets-plunge-as-republican-donald-trump-gains-a-path-to-u-s-presidency/#6532240b27dc

Extract: "Fear of a Trump presidency was evident at the open of trading in Europe, where stocks in London plunged 2%, after futures indicated losses as high as 4%. The Hang Seng Index in Hong Kong tumbled 2.7%, the South Korean Kospi fell 2.5% and the Japanese Nikkei 225 was down 5.1%. Australian and New Zealand markets fell by a similar measure.

Assets that rise in value during periods of market upheaval, for instance the U.S. dollar, gold, and government bonds, surged. Gold rose $41 to $1,316 a troy ounce, or over 3.2%. Ten-year U.S. Treasury note yields fell 12 basis points to 1.73%, indicating an investor flight to the safety of government bonds. The euro fell 2%, while the Japanese yen fell 3%.

The Mexican peso, the asset that has swung most violently depending on prospects for the presidential vote, plunged. On Tuesday, as Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton showed strength in early voting, the peso rose to two-week highs. However, it tumbled over 13.07% after midnight when CNN called a string of states for Trump including Ohio, Florida, Iowa, North Carolina and Utah."
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

JayW

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 226
  • Likes Given: 292
« Reply #465 on: November 09, 2016, 12:34:12 PM »
Trump spit out a tremendous amount of rhetoric, he made promises to the people who cast their vote for him.  These people also can turn in an instance.  Trump can't just make grandiose claims without now having to put his money where his mouth is.

He's more corrupt than a politician, and his scam, while deeply painful for everyone, will screw over the poor white folks who he promised to make their dreams come true.  You know, a Christian, white country governed by white old men.  With a big wall, and ships just packed with immigrants, heading to their homeland.   And no taxes for rich people, to further "stimulate" the economy...

I hope budmantis is correct, and that the the next four years "show people the light" and the democrats can put forth a candidate that cares more about the electorate than their own ambitions...

I'm asking a lot.

Sorry world, we let you down.  Again.
"To defy the laws of tradition, is a crusade only of the brave" - Les Claypool

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #466 on: November 09, 2016, 12:45:43 PM »
This truly will be "one for the ages."  I think the chance of a HARD global recession just increased about 75%.  Not because I hate Trump (I do).....but because of "protectionism" will likely be priced into the markets over the coming months.  Especially with commodities and emerging markets.  Countries that rely on commodities could get crushed.

I will be watching oil.  I would expect oil stocks to DROP in the coming months.  Why would you say oil markets will DROP when Trump is so PRO OIL?  Because we already have too much supply on the market.  The last thing the oil markets need or want right NOW...is MORE OIL.

So I expect commodities to continue to move lower as markets now expect protectionism to gear up.  Maybe Vladimir Putin will not be as enamored with Comrade Donald when he sees oil heading back towards $30 a barrel.  THAT...may take the shine off a wee bit....  That may also put Russia and Saudi Arabia in a noose....and they are already in bad shape.  Saudi Arabia is bringing a piece of their oil company to market in an IPO in 2017....and it may not be good timing.  Both Russia and Saudi Arabia are running through money faster than Donald Trump can tweet.

The other thing to watch for is how Trump "plays this out."  Remember....we're dealing with a guy who has an OVEREXTENDED EGO...AND...A BAD DECISION MAKING PROCESS (Fire...Ready....Aim).  I expect him to make more gaffs...now that he has power, and doesn't have to think about what he says (the Twitter president?).

I'll just keep my 10 year employment chart handy to point out to all Trumpies where Obama is going to hand off unemployment (it is now 4.9% in the US....and GDP at 2.9%)....and where Trump will be at the end of his 4 year term.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 12:56:41 PM by Buddy »
FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

Pmt111500

« Reply #467 on: November 09, 2016, 12:49:12 PM »
From my fb feed 2 years ago, I'll just leave this here (while still considering the exact bar I'm going to hit my head into)

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #468 on: November 09, 2016, 02:10:03 PM »
... But who [is] Johnson ...?
Gary Johnson is the former 2-term Republican Governor (1995-2003) of New Mexico (where I grew up, and one of the places (with Texas and Chicago) where dead folks used to regularly vote, I was led to believe).  He made his money in construction before running for Governor and climbed Mt. Everest afterwards.  I think he is a genuine libertarian, wanting minimal government except for military.  He is not a Climate Change denier, but, I understand, he holds the view that government shouldn't do anything about it.  He ran for President in 2012 as the Libertarian Party candidate when he garnered 1.0% of the popular vote; he is likely to do much better this November (2-5%?).
From a news release early this morning:
According to the latest results, Johnson brought in 3,828,844 votes. That’s a huge jump over his 2012 campaign, when he brought in 1.2 million votes. Unfortunately, his current number of votes comes in at 3.2 percent, just shy of the 5 percent he needs to qualify the Libertarian party for federal funding in the next election. He did not get any electoral votes.

His highest percentages were in New Mexico at 9.3 percent and North Dakota at 6.3 percent. He also had a few states coming in at over 5 percent.
So, my only written projection for this election came to pass.
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: November 09, 2016, 02:22:41 PM »
From my fb feed 2 years ago, I'll just leave this here (while still considering the exact bar I'm going to hit my head into)

That's a good clip.  Quick...to the point...

One of the interesting things as global warming continues to pick up speed.....will be the escalating clash between the "science deniers" and science/facts.  And of course....the press and politicians will be front and center as well.

People can continue to deny the truth for a long time...but that TRUTH NEVER GOES AWAY.  Two plus two is four.....no matter how many times somebody says it is three.

Scientists are going to be pushed FURTHER into an area they don't like...and don't want to be in:  The political arena......and the journalism arena.  They just want to do "their science"....which is what they are GOOD AT...and why they entered their field in the first place.

And there are also MANY OTHER PEOPLE who aren't comfortable in being "activists"....and don't WANT to be activists.....that NEED to come out of their shell.  Yes....we all need to take a GOOD LOOK IN THE MIRROR.

"The world will not be destroyed by those that do evil, but by those that watch them without doing anything."  Albert Einstein...

Pmt111500

« Reply #470 on: November 09, 2016, 02:38:06 PM »
Not going to happen like that, Buddy. I'm off this political pathos to seek a bar to hit my head into.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: November 09, 2016, 02:47:32 PM »
Not going to happen like that, Buddy. I'm off this political pathos to seek a bar to hit my head into.

So....are you saying that scientists are "just going to roll over"?  Really?  I think you are mistaken if that is what you think....

It may take longer than I like (it already has)...for sure....but it sounds like you don't have much faith in people.....

Pmt111500

« Reply #472 on: November 09, 2016, 03:12:56 PM »

So....are you saying that scientists are "just going to roll over"?  Really?

Yes. There's no room for scientists bringing inconvenient truths to the populce of faith-based societies. Many may find occupation in speculative economics, that is going to fail, but at least it get the bread in the table. Some will switch their occupation alltogetjer having nothing to do with numbers and still some are attempting to improve lives of the people considering climate change but never attempting to do anything about it.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 03:18:57 PM by Pmt111500 »

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: November 09, 2016, 03:21:59 PM »
Yes.

So....did women just "give up" on women's suffrage?  No..

Did blacks just "give up" on voting rights?  No...

I think history is against you.... And I think physics is against you....  People aren't going to be able to ignore physics forever...

Gray-Wolf

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 131
  • Likes Given: 458
« Reply #474 on: November 09, 2016, 03:34:23 PM »
Are we all neglecting just exactly where we are with the climate right now? Trump might not give a chuff about the QBO but only because he has no idea what it is. He might be unaware of the DMI80N graph at the mo (and the levels of ice at both Poles) but if we begin seeing even more extreme weather events over the next few months then He will be made very aware of where we are!
KOYAANISQATSI

ko.yaa.nis.katsi (from the Hopi language), n. 1. crazy life. 2. life in turmoil. 3. life disintegrating. 4. life out of balance. 5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.

VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS

Pmt111500

« Reply #475 on: November 09, 2016, 03:38:06 PM »
Music break on this unnecessary talk about 4 more years

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: November 09, 2016, 03:42:39 PM »
He might be unaware of the DMI80N graph at the mo (and the levels of ice at both Poles) but if we begin seeing even more extreme weather events over the next few months then He will be made very aware of where we are!

YES.  As global warming continues....and becomes more and more visible....you can't ignore it forever.  Just like tobacco....EVENTUALLY truth takes over.  It takes a LOT longer than anyone on this site would like.  But it is certainly a matter of WHEN....not IF.

The laws of science haven't been overturned last night.  Only the "laws of politics".

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: November 09, 2016, 04:10:25 PM »

No freezer needed Sleepy, just watching that youtube video was sufficient!

ritter

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #478 on: November 09, 2016, 05:43:12 PM »
A climate denial trifecta. Disaster indeed.  :(

Here's hoping China can set the fuel switching example the US cannot.

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 99
« Reply #479 on: November 09, 2016, 06:03:27 PM »
No. Disaster happened earlier - by betrayal of Bernie.-
(to solve eventual semantic problems, check posts like here, here, and around - at Café)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 06:25:24 PM by ivica »

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: November 09, 2016, 07:41:07 PM »
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/pollsters-suffer-huge-embarrassment/ar-AAk4TxS?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

"Pollsters and election modelers suffered an industry shattering embarrassment at the hands of Donald Trump on Tuesday night."

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: November 09, 2016, 08:38:45 PM »
So....Clinton lost:

Pennsylvania by 68,000 votes
Michigan by 13,000 votes
Wisconsin by 27,000 votes

If she had she won those 3 states....she would have won.  I know...."if the if's and but's were candy and nuts...we'd all have a Merry Christmas."

And she ended up with MORE total popular votes than Trump by 208,000 nationwide.

Also.....looks like Crooked Donald has a date coming up in November.....only it's not the "good" kind of date:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/donald-trump-court-university-231082

I have the feeling this is going to be the first of many "firsts" for Comrade Trump.  He is being defended in the suit by Daniel Petrocelli.....one of the same attorneys who worked AGAINST OJ Simpson in the wrongful death CIVIL SUIT (not the criminal case).
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 09:07:55 PM by Buddy »

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: November 09, 2016, 08:56:36 PM »
And to add insult to injury....

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/next-energy-secretary-181700972.html

He's decided to appoint an oil and gas guy to head the Dept of Energy.....so he can ignore global warming for 4 years.

Thanks Comrade Trump.... ::)

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #483 on: November 09, 2016, 09:03:44 PM »
I am ready for a 4 year long hibernation... :'( :o

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #484 on: November 09, 2016, 09:52:46 PM »

Astrologists, climatologists and pollsters, each uses charts, models, and esoteric mathematics to foretell the future.

The self inflicted wounds suffered by the political polling profession will have an effect on the perceived veracity of others claiming to forecast the future using advanced mathematics and modeling.

It might be wise to emphasize climate changes that have already occurred, using photos, cartoons, simple sentences & short, familiar, words. Models & math won't sway many & may be thrown back as another example of intellectual hubris that falls short when exposed by triumphant,Trumpian truth.

The election results were a huge blow to anyone attempting to sell prognostications while invoking logic, historical precedent, charts and graphs. If election results can't be successfully gleaned even as the results are trickling in, how can temperature, sea level, ocean acidity be foretold?

We had a hard road before Brexit. Post Trump it's possibly a Sisyphean task just to return to the level of trust we once had.

Terry

Paddy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 153
  • Likes Given: 151
« Reply #485 on: November 09, 2016, 10:00:00 PM »
Wishing all of you from America, and your countrymen, the best of luck for the next few years. Just remember: they will pass.

ritter

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
« Reply #486 on: November 09, 2016, 10:26:17 PM »
I am ready for a 4 year long hibernation... :'( :o

It's going to be too hot to hibernate. Best look toward estivating!

TerryM--you raise  salient and unfortunate points.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #487 on: November 10, 2016, 12:06:50 AM »
So social anger carried the day for Trump, ust as I was afraid. Sad.
The climate is finished. It had a small chance to begin with, as we are already in overshoot, but after 4 upcoming years of doing nothing, plus moving backward in many areas, it will not be possible anymore to slow/stop emissions before we reach the point of no return.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: November 10, 2016, 01:03:51 AM »
So social anger carried the day for Trump, ust as I was afraid. Sad

You were....and ARE....right.  Incredible.  I have a neighbor, and a girlfriends daughter and son-in-law that voted for Trump.

They could care LESS about anything factual.  They just have this almost "blind devotion" to a fear mongering.....women molesting.....liar.  He quite literally could shoot someone and they wouldn't care a bit.  I don't get it.

I was playing with my girlfriends grandkid tonight.....he's 6.....and the 6 year old said..."Hillary is going to be in jail."  It was just him...his brother and me.  So I went out into the other room and said something to their mom like.."I didn't realize that Hillary was going to go to jail".  And she said..."well...I didn't really tell them she was GOING to jail, just that she SHOULD BE IN JAIL."

I told her my displeasure about spreading falsehoods....but I doubt she gives a rats ass.  She is also one of those "religious types" (the Ann Coulter special).  Too bad...great kids....but they don't have a chance with a bigot like that for a mother.....and the father is the same. 

It really is the David Duke mentality....

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/david-duke-trump-victory-2016-election-231072

Rippleillusion

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #489 on: November 10, 2016, 02:08:02 AM »
This is quite something now, isn't it. I personally suspect the Donald will be fairly quickly cast aside and be the first "outsider" president. I suppose not much different than Dubya. A puppet for the Republicans, exactly the opposite of what his supporters supposedly voted him in for. But not much better for the rest of us. We'll see if that's where things go. Either way it's about to get real hot in here, and I'm very curious at what point will we see them budge on their ridiculous CC stance.

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #490 on: November 10, 2016, 02:21:35 AM »
Like Dubya, Donald will not be able to deliver on any promise to 'make America great again' at least not for any but his very wealthiest demographic. So how long will the even more desperate white non-college educated masses that really put him in power remain enchanted by his chicanery?

I can't imagine that they would still want him after four years of even more bitter wretchedness, but then I didn't think Dubya would get a second term either, so who knows.

Ugh, the prospect of four years is bad enough.
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: November 10, 2016, 01:04:36 PM »
Two things:

1)  I think people underestimate what Trump's ego will do to him.  His staff had to keep him off of twitter that last week or two to keep him from self destructing.  His ego is SO far out "over the tips of his ski's".....he thinks he can do ANYTHING.....TO ANYBODY.  THAT....will be his downfall.

2)  I also think people underestimate the hatred TOWARDS HIM.....that he has stirred up, by running a hate filled...fear filled campaign.  There are a lot of people that voted against him...that are extremely passionate about the country, and what he will do.  Many of them....like myself...will NOT BE WALLFLOWERS.  It is just not in our DNA.  And I live in Georgia which, along with Texas, is likely "hate central".  There was a KKK poster not far from my neighborhood (north of Atlanta).  Well....I have news for those folks:  F**K THEM.  I certainly will not stand by and watch an egotistical idiot ruin our planet....and our lives....and fill the world with hatred.  It is not who I am.  I'm sure my first involvement in a demonstration is ahead of me.  He is NOT my president.

The combination of the above two items is not a good combo for Trump.

Again...as Albert Einstein said:  "The world will not be destroyed by those that do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/protests-donald-trump-election_us_58238e95e4b0d9ce6fc09d18

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: November 10, 2016, 04:15:02 PM »

The number of Americans filing for unemployment benefits fell more than expected last week, underscoring the robustness of the labor market.

Initial claims for state unemployment benefits dropped 11,000 to a seasonally adjusted 254,000 for the week ended Nov. 5, the Labor Department said on Thursday. Claims for the prior week were unrevised.

It was the 88th consecutive week that claims remained below 300,000, a threshold associated with a healthy labor market. That is the longest stretch since 1970, the department said.

I'm sure that Trump will bring in a lot of change.  Unfortunately.....much of it will not be good change.

Jobless claims came in at 254,000 for the week.....the 88th straight week of jobless claims under 300,000.  A record not seen since 1970.  Also...a continuing sign of the robust job market in the US.  GDP was 2.9% during the last quarter.....and the unemployment rate stands at 4.9%.

Looking ahead 12 - 18 moths....if Trump does the changes he is proposing....we will see an end to the good news we have seen for the last 8 years or so.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-economy-jobless-idUSKBN1351LF

ChasingIce

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #493 on: November 10, 2016, 04:18:05 PM »
when people said "NOT MY PRESIDENT" over the last 8 years, they were labeled as racist. 

I find it rather ironic that if you don't say "NOT MY PRESIDENT", you're likewise labeled a racist. 

Enjoy your Soro's paid protest Buddy.   

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: November 10, 2016, 04:24:30 PM »
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/11/2016-election-good-progress-hope-liberals-progressives-democrats-214444

"Five reasons for liberals to have hope."

This article by Bill Scher gives us some hope for the future. When we're done venting our spleen and licking our wounds, lets do all we can to turn this around. All is not lost.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: November 10, 2016, 04:41:26 PM »
when people said "NOT MY PRESIDENT" over the last 8 years, they were labeled as racist. 

I find it rather ironic that if you don't say "NOT MY PRESIDENT", you're likewise labeled a racist. 

Maybe I was living under a rock....but I never heard "Not my president" over the last 8 years....and I watch CNN, FOX (you can't blast someone unless you actually watch them....and I only watch FOX for about 1 hour a week....my stomach can't handle more than that), and ABC.  Maybe I missed those episodes?

I also haven't seen anyone call someone a racist who DOESN'T say "not my president" over the last 2 days....but it's still early.  But since YOU bring up the race card....I wonder why David Duke is so happy now?  Why do you think that is?  Just curious....:)

If you are happy with Donald Trump....then you should embrace him.  I don't see any problems with that for you.  For me.....I have trouble embracing someone who is going to continue to move the planet to warmer and warmer temperatures.  Maybe that is just me.  If you feel happy with Trump doing away with policy's of the Obama administration that protect the environment.....especially when it comes to CO2 and global warming.....then again, embrace those facets of Donald Trump.  Then you should be happy you voted for Trump.  I'm sure your kids and grandkids will love you for it

Enjoy your Soro's paid protest Buddy.

Really?  Is that the best you can come up with?  Did Drudge tell you that one?  Come on....you can do better than that....:)

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #496 on: November 10, 2016, 07:10:59 PM »
Some reactions to the election result from the Twitterverse:

Greg Laden: January will be the first time in 8 years the GOP will have to do something other than blindly oppose the President.
https://twitter.com/gregladen/status/796356466198319106

Michael Mann: goodbye, and thanks for all the fish
https://twitter.com/michaelemann/status/796359862645100544

Mrs. Landingham: I don't think there are enough cookies today....
https://twitter.com/mrs_landingham/status/796375506505572353

"Here's Why We Grieve Today:
It's going to be a lot harder for us to forget what we heard than it is for him to forget what he said."
https://twitter.com/sjredmond/status/796483129129267200

ACLU:  We will have more to say in the coming hours and days. But know the ACLU is here fighting and we need you fighting with us
https://twitter.com/aclu/status/796348719339814912

Gun stocks are plummeting after Trump's victory
http://www.businessinsider.com/gun-stocks-after-trump-win-november-9-2016-2016-11

The #Auroraborealis exhibited a sharp delineation north of the U.S./Canadian border last night. #VIIRS #northernlights pic.twitter.com/rhNjNTuY34
https://twitter.com/uwcimss/status/796349044696162304

And articles.:
   "1) This is not as bad as it seems.
    2) This is a moment for reflection."
http://waitbutwhy.com/2016/11/its-going-to-be-okay.html
(See the linked WBW poll:  most people are voting for a person they don't really like.  Nice job.)

Jean Su of the Center for Biological Diversity (who was at the Mirage last night, and still has not slept) sought to quell despair: “I do believe that climate progress will not crash and burn because of one single man who was elected yesterday…. One single man cannot ruin a whole 20 years of progress on climate change.”
https://psmag.com/you-have-decided-to-jump-into-the-fire-cop22-reels-after-u-s-election-524c6056cb43

Eric Holthaus:  The momentum on climate is depressingly slow, but it's in the right direction. Trump is a big setback, but it's not game over.
http://tinyletter.com/sciencebyericholthaus/letters/today-in-weather-climate-president-trump-edition-wednesday-november-9th

US election: Climate scientists react to Donald Trump’s victory
https://www.carbonbrief.org/us-election-climate-scientists-react-donald-trumps-victory
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Sleepy

« Reply #497 on: November 11, 2016, 06:23:27 AM »
Suggestion for a new thread:
America - The Empire strikes back!

The great dear leader of the worlds greatest hypocrisy (Sweden just lost that title...) must of course have a great and grand project, as all great dear leaders do. So what will it be? Maybe the Hyperloop? Trump, Thiel and Musk would make a great team and it's a project that both holds great risks and great future promises, yummy!
Everything is awesome!!

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: November 11, 2016, 06:25:02 AM »
I think protesting right after the conclusion of a fair election smells of sour grapes. Protesting after Trump takes office and has shown how he will govern will have a much stronger and lasting impact than protesting now.

Picture Clinton having won under similar circumstances as Trump. Wouldn't we tend to discount Trump's protesters as malcontents?

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: November 11, 2016, 06:30:37 AM »
Suggestion for a new thread:
America - The Empire strikes back!

The great dear leader of the worlds greatest hypocrisy (Sweden just lost that title...) must of course have a great and grand project, as all great dear leaders do. So what will it be? Maybe the Hyperloop? Trump, Thiel and Musk would make a great team and it's a project that both holds great risks and great future promises, yummy!
Everything is awesome!!

Hi Sleepy. Taking any headlong dives into the snow lately? BRRRR! I find it ironic that our country stands a better chance of spending significantly on infrastructure with Trump as president versus Clinton as president. With Clinton as president, the Republicans would likely block such an effort.