Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Trump  (Read 1486070 times)

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
Re: The Trump Presidency (was "Presidential Poll")
« Reply #1050 on: January 29, 2017, 06:54:56 PM »
The linked NPR article is entitled: "Far From A Trump Card", and it discusses the existential threat that Team Trump poses to humankind.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-leo-algo/far-from-a-trump-card_b_14413896.html

Extract: "In a world increasingly affected by climate change, ignorance and denial cannot be the new status quo. The progress achieved by scientists, policymakers, and advocates after decades of intense negotiations cannot be erased from public consciousness; rather, it should be propagated. If Trump’s policies were not challenged and actively opposed, global warming may further accelerate to levels intolerable for any life on Earth. His alternate facts may lead to an alternate future no one wants to see."
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #1051 on: January 29, 2017, 08:44:43 PM »
Over the next month or two continue to watch if the "psychie" of the American consumer is impacted by Trump's presidency in a negative way.

And this can obviously be affected by international relations and international business as well.  If things begin to "slow down around the edges".....that sort of thing can gain some traction.

Watch the Thursday morning jobless claims for any hints of an upward trend in jobless claims.....as well as any slowdown in retail activity.

FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

charles_oil

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 38
  • Likes Given: 74
« Reply #1052 on: January 29, 2017, 09:22:35 PM »
What happened to the inscription on the Statue of Liberty ?

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Wrong door ?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 10:13:24 PM by charles_oil »

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: January 29, 2017, 11:55:06 PM »
The linked article is entitled: “Trump Elevates Bannon, Sabotages Himself”.  It and the following Wikipedia article indicate what a flawed person Steve Bannon is and why it is a bad idea to elevate him to the NSC.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/01/29/trump-elevates-bannon-sabotages-himself.html

Extract: “The new president really needs a strong National Security Council. It looks like he doesn't want one—not after putting his alt-right campaign CEO Steve Bannon on it.

Worse — much worse, in my view — the president decided to give a permanent seat at the National Security Council table to his chief strategist and senior counselor, Stephen Bannon. Bannon, formerly the publisher of an extreme right-wing, often racist and sexist website called Breitbart, not only has very limited U.S. government experience, he has almost no relevant experience with any aspect of high-level national security decisionmaking (beyond an undergraduate degree and then a seven-year stint in the Navy, some three decades ago). Combine that with the egregious lack of character his exploits at Breitbart illustrate and his past radical statements — like the instance in which he characterized himself as a “Leninist” seeking to bring down the entire system of the U.S. government — and you have precisely the sort of person who has no business at all being at an NSC meeting. But even if you were to set aside such profound character flaws and gaps in experience, the idea that a purely political advisor should be at the table while the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the director of national intelligence are not shows a profound lack of understanding of what the NSC has been — or what it should be. “

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Bannon

Extract: “Bannon's second marriage was to Mary Louise Piccard, a former investment banker, in April 1995. Their twin daughters were born three days later.

Bannon was charged with misdemeanor domestic violence, battery and dissuading a witness in early January 1996, after Piccard accused Bannon of domestic abuse. The charges were later dropped when his now ex-wife did not appear in court. In an article in The New York Times, Piccard stated her absence was due to threats made to her by Bannon and Bannon's lawyer:

Mr. Bannon, she said, told her that "if I went to court he and his attorney would make sure that I would be the one who was guilty"... Mr. Bannon’s lawyer, she said, "threatened me," telling her that if Mr. Bannon went to jail, she "would have no money and no way to support the children." ... Mr. Bannon’s lawyer ... denied pressuring her not to testify.

Piccard and Bannon divorced in 1997. During the divorce proceedings, Piccard also stated that Bannon had made antisemitic remarks about choice of schools, saying that he did not want to send his children to The Archer School for Girls because there were too many Jews at the school and Jews raise their children to be "whiny brats".”
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #1054 on: January 30, 2017, 01:02:11 AM »
I've been curious as to whether any Trump supporters are now feeling buyer's remorse. Two of our friends who are Trump supporters had no problem with his recent actions. They blame the mainstream media, (which encompasses all news sources that go against their own established beliefs) for reporting fake news. When I challenged their assertions, they just tuned me out. It looks like most Trump supporters will need to see far more egregious acts by the President before they stop drinking the Trump cool-aid.

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #1055 on: January 30, 2017, 01:33:23 AM »
I've been curious as to whether any Trump supporters are now feeling buyer's remorse. Two of our friends who are Trump supporters had no problem with his recent actions. They blame the mainstream media, (which encompasses all news sources that go against their own established beliefs) for reporting fake news. When I challenged their assertions, they just tuned me out. It looks like most Trump supporters will need to see far more egregious acts by the President before they stop drinking the Trump cool-aid.

Denial runs strong in those die hards.  Somehow I don't see what actions will change their mind

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: January 30, 2017, 02:07:21 AM »
Donald Trump, Rudy Guiliani, and Jason Chaffetz.....your time is running out....

Tick.....tick.....tick......tick....tick....

http://www.toledoblade.com/Politics/2017/01/29/GOP-warns-President-Trump-on-lifting-Russia-sanctions.html

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: January 30, 2017, 03:31:09 AM »
The linked NYT op-ed piece is entitled: “Can Donald Trump Handle the Truth?”  The piece makes it clear that the only way to address Trump's “allergy to empirical facts” is for the mainstream media to learn how report in an accurate and timely manner in a way that the public can understand what Team Trump is doing to try to distort reality.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/28/opinion/sunday/can-donald-trump-handle-the-truth.html?_r=0

Extract: “Mr. Trump’s allergy to empirical facts leads naturally to his attacks on the media, whose job it is to report accurately and to hold politicians to account for the things they say and do — goals that are anathema to a huckster. On Thursday, one of Mr. Trump’s top advisers, Stephen Bannon, told The New York Times that the “elite media” is “the opposition party” and should “keep its mouth shut.” Congressional Republicans are getting on board, too: Last week, Representative Lamar Smith of Texas, the chairman of the House Science, Space and Technology Committee, said it was “better to get your news directly from the president. In fact it might be the only way to get the unvarnished truth.”

This attitude is, of course, all too familiar to the citizens of authoritarian regimes around the world — from China to Russia to Turkey to Egypt — where leaders survive by intimidating or imprisoning journalists, writers and artists, or anyone who dares to challenge the “truth” and “information” generated by the regime. Mr. Trump can engage in intimidation through his Twitter and Facebook accounts alone, where he has a direct line to tens of millions of Americans.

A closed disinformation loop may not seem like a big deal when the dispute is over crowd size, but the stakes will soon be far higher. Mr. Trump’s foremost biographer, the investigative journalist Wayne Barrett, who died this month, said in December that “there’s no check on his power except reality.” The nation, and the world, are about to find out if that’s right.”
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: January 30, 2017, 03:33:13 AM »
As a follow-up to my last post, the linked article is entitled: ““There’s No Check on Trump Except Reality”: A Q&A With Wayne Barrett”, and it indicates that the greatest failure of the 2016 election was the failing of the mainstream media to hold Donald Trump accountable to reality, in a manner that the public could understand.  I hope that mainstream media in the US can grow up quickly and act professionally.

https://newrepublic.com/article/139094/theres-no-check-trump-except-reality-qa-wayne-barrett

Extract: “The shame of the Comey letter is really not that Comey wrote it, but that it displaced all the news for the final two weeks of the campaign. That was when the Times did its second extraordinary tax story. Front page again. It was just completely pushed aside. The Wall Street Journal three days before the election revealed a $150,000 payoff that [National Enquirer chief executive David] Pecker made to silence a Playboy centerfold who claims she had an affair with Donald. I mean, if there is any story that sells on television, it is a sex story, but nobody reported on it on television.

And the concept of broadcast news, which was effectively written into law, was that if you get free airwaves, granted by the United States government—a trillion dollar asset at least—your only compensation is, you give us a little news. You give us a little fair news that meets journalistic standards. It wasn’t supposed to be a profit center. It was supposed to be a payback to the public for the free franchise. And now all it is is a profit center unguided by any journalistic principles. Guided purely by ratings and advertising. Television journalism proved in the course of this campaign that it has no ethic. It’s not like everybody who is on it is a bad guy. Some people are outstanding. But the industry as a whole has no ethic, owes us nothing. All it owes us is the same as what any other sitcom owes us, which is a product we are willing to consume.”
― Leon C. Megginson

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #1059 on: January 30, 2017, 04:02:13 AM »
Buddy et al.

What is your end game?

I don't imagine that you expect "The Donald" to step down.
I can't imagine that you favor a return to 1963 when a sniper (team)? elevated the Vice-President.
I won't imagine that you advocate a coup to install a Democrat to power in a most undemocratic fashion.

Again, WHAT IS YOUR END GAME?

Terry

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: January 30, 2017, 04:06:15 AM »
The linked Forbes article is entitled: “The Left Wages War On Donald Trump, Its Godzilla”, and it indicates that Team Trump is about to get a double dose of reality as the “left” organizes a continuous outpouring of public protests against Team Trump's repugnant actions.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ralphbenko/2017/01/29/the-left-wages-war-on-donald-trump-its-godzilla/#4baa7bdb1afb

Extract: “Do not underestimate the militancy of the left. Patrick authorized me to quote him saying that he falls: in the camp of environmental thinkers that believes Trump and his neo-fascist policies reflect the last desperate attempts of global petro-capitalism to maintain control even as their failed economic model pushes the planet into ecological collapse.”
― Leon C. Megginson

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: January 30, 2017, 05:39:36 AM »
Buddy et al.

What is your end game?

I can't imagine that you favor a return to 1963 when a sniper (team)? elevated the Vice-President.
I won't imagine that you advocate a coup to install a Democrat to power in a most undemocratic fashion.

Terry

I was about to post a news article from Huffington Post about impeachment, so I'll go first. Trump wont resign unless impeachment becomes a near certainty. It goes without saying that the other two options are not options at all and if someone were to assassinate Trump, it wouldn't solve anything and would make him a martyr. None of us wants to see that.

Because the answer to your question is so obvious I have to ask, what point are you trying to make? I think I know what it is; "Why are we spending so much time obsessing over Trump?" I've been asking myself that question for a while now, after all here on the Forum it's like we're preaching to the choir. Simply put, there was a thread available to comment on and I like discussing politics. What provided most of the fuel though was Trump himself and his actions as candidate, Republican nominee and then as President. Who thought that he would actually become President? Certainly not me!

Trump will pave the way to his own impeachment, imho.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/the-inevitability-of-impeachment_us_588e8d52e4b0b065cbbcd09f?a62jpt0tpcmasv2t9&

I don't believe impeachment is inevitable but it is likely to be the end game.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 06:13:15 AM by budmantis »

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: January 30, 2017, 06:45:19 AM »

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #1063 on: January 30, 2017, 06:51:51 AM »
Buddy et al.

What is your end game?

Terry

No chance he steps down.  His age and physical condition, along with his habits and the elevated stress of the job, invites a solution from natural causes.  Pence will carry thru their fiscal and cultural agendas, and would restore some sanity to daily life (even though he is a theocratic).  If he lives, only if Congress does not impeach him first  would you see a deep state solution.  Elevating a Democrat would be seen as a coup and extra-constitutional, even with the popular vote results.  Even with the "burn it down" mentality seemingly in the White House, the vast majority of people here still believe in the integrity of the founding documents.  Democrats are struggling right now with how extreme to get with opposition tactics, but even so they understand that the country is too fractured to make a takeover attempt.

Beyond your questions then likely there is another week or so of stuff being rolled out and announced from the White House, most of it causing outrage and more demonstrations.  The travel ban is going to continue to boil over as more impacts are learned and the Congress people stake out responses.  The courts will be busy.  Something has to give with the White House and Customs ignoring the courts.  There could be contempt ruling and a call to active the US Marshalls to arrest the Customs people. Things will start to muck up and grind out in the courts, and the gears of bureaucracy will slow things down.  The pace of the last 9 days is just not sustainable, for all players.  If history is any guide the protectionist agenda will fail massively.  Then end game becomes a deep recession, 2018 midterm losses for the GOP, possible impeachment, and then a wave election in 2020 taking Pence out.

All of this without considering the likely influence of climate change driven catastrophies.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 07:23:57 AM by pileus »

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: January 30, 2017, 07:10:32 AM »
Terrible news of shooting in Quebec.  We will certainly see Trump politicize this in tweets by morning and the minions will be out in force tomorrow linking this to legitimize the travel ban (and more), and to quell protests.  But the protests are only going to intensity.  The White House is inflaming everyone and there will most certainly be a small scale strike within the US, that the White House will exponentially overreact to here and in the Middle East.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 07:25:33 AM by pileus »

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: January 30, 2017, 07:43:58 AM »
Hard to fathom but the coming week could be more intense and pressurized than last week.  Continued evolution of the travel ban and court actions and protests.  Supreme Court pick tweeted.  Dems will stall remaining cabinet nominees, White House will be enraged.  Bannon's NSC power grab.  Oh and what about Obamacare?  Attention has been deflected but it's still there.

Big strain coming on mental health professionals and structures.  All this tension, real and imagined, is really causing distress for a lot of people.   Sad to have a president gleefully antagonizing a large part of the citizenry.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #1066 on: January 30, 2017, 09:39:01 AM »
pileus

As I understand it on Friday afternoon Trump signed an order that was so outrageous that "spontaneous" protests occurred at all American international airports commencing at 1 PM local time on Saturday.
These "spontaneous" demonstrations occurred from Salt Lake International Airport , where there are fewer Democrats than Anglicans, to LAX, where Republicans are an endangered species. From Miami to Seattle they "spontaneously" unfurled their banners at 1 o'clock.
What an amazing coincidence!!

Terry

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: January 30, 2017, 10:59:17 AM »
A Clarifying Moment in American History

Outrageous indeed Terry.  For an ex student visa, ex green card holdwr, current dual national, this was plainly horrifying. The fact that a political adviser, an alt-right news faker is above the joint chiefs of staff is spine chilling, dictatorship smelling, rage inducing. Protests will not stop if this continues. 25th amendment or impeachment is inevitable. Not now but definitely before long.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: January 30, 2017, 12:55:35 PM »
Well.....Donnie did NOT have a very good first week in office.  He started with the lowest approval rating and lowest "NET" approval rating ever.  His approval rating was 45% and those NOT approving were also 45%......so his NET was ZERO.

After one week....his net is now MINUS 8%.  His approval rating is 42% and those disapproving rose 5 points to 50% based on the daily Gallup poll numbers.

My initial 18 - 24 month timeline until he is REMOVED from office....is now 12 - 18 months.  I guess Donnie either wants to "go big or go home".....and it looks like he may get his wish sooner than later. ;)

There is STILL a process that has to play out....both politically AND legally.  But after one week....we're moving PDQ (pretty damn quick....for you outside the US).

More Republicans are starting to "break" from Trump....but that has quite a ways to go.  And many of those Republicans likely want to move some of their legislative items through Congress while Trump is in office....if that is possible.

The march on April 29th looms large.....and momentum is growing quickly.  For my part....here in Georgia....I'm making SURE my senators AND those in the US House of Reps that are "near me".....which not only includes my district...but close by districts as well......I will be putting together a "packet" of climate info to deliver to their office.   I will ask questions of the staff there....as well as film the dropping off of the packet.

The day is coming.....when those who have been denying climate change WILL BE TARNISHED WITH THEIR BELIEFS.  I want to make sure it sticks.

November of 2018 will come up quickly.....I want to make sure people don't forget which side politicians were on.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 01:51:41 PM by Buddy »

magnamentis

« Reply #1069 on: January 30, 2017, 01:50:16 PM »

Denial runs strong in those die hards.  Somehow I don't see what actions will change their mind

perhaps the lack of "mind" is the problem in the first place, must be somehow because facts and knowledge can only be overruled by the lack of both :-)

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: January 30, 2017, 02:53:03 PM »
Here is a list of some of the more "moderate" Republicans in the senate.  I would watch these folks over the coming weeks (next couple of months) to see how they react:

1)  John McCain (Arizona)
2)  Lindsay Graham (South Carolina)
3)  Rob Portman (Ohio)
4)  John Thune (South Dakota)
5)  Bob Corker (Tennessee)
6)  Susan Collins (Maine)
7)  Lisa Murkowski (Alaska)
8)  Jeff Flake (Arizona)

I'm sure I have missed some....but not many.  There aren't a lot of "moderates".  This will be the first group to "break" from Trump over time.

McCain and Graham have been the "first ones on the bus" out of town.  Others will follow over time.

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: January 30, 2017, 02:54:42 PM »

perhaps the lack of "mind" is the problem in the first place, must be somehow because facts and knowledge can only be overruled by the lack of both :-)
[/quote]

They'll change their mind when Trump's actions begin to have an adverse effect on their lives. If anyone holding a green card liked Trump before last Friday, I doubt they feel that way now.

magnamentis

« Reply #1072 on: January 30, 2017, 03:34:26 PM »

They'll change their mind when Trump's actions begin to have an adverse effect on their lives. If anyone holding a green card liked Trump before last Friday, I doubt they feel that way now.

true that, we used to call this "Betroffenheitsdemokratie" means that people believe and follow anything they think they can benefit from and/or it serves their fears, but only until it backfires, not a perfect translation but better than the word by word variant LOL.

however i fully agree and always said that those who acclaim the loudest are usually those who pay the price.
best example throughout history have been soldiers (not drafted) marching and singing to their own doom.

or the more famous example of the sheep running in bulk over the cliff following a stupid leading twit ( sheep )
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 03:52:18 PM by magnamentis »

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: January 30, 2017, 03:58:35 PM »
Magna: TerryM's question in reply #1058 was thought provoking to me. I was curious what you're response would have been, but thus far you haven't responded.

magnamentis

« Reply #1074 on: January 30, 2017, 04:14:20 PM »
Magna: TerryM's question in reply #1058 was thought provoking to me. I was curious what you're response would have been, but thus far you haven't responded.

sorry if i missed something, of course i'd never not reply if i see the question, simply evaded me  :-[

my answer would have been one single word, impeachment.

to be honest i have big trouble to understand how narrow minded people can be, hence i'm a bad fortuneteller when it comes to such questions. i was dead sure that bush would not survive 4 years, not speaking about his 8 years in total and as well i would have bet a lot that this DJT will never be elected, the thought was out of my range on the lower side. i even was happy that he was sent into the race by his party because i thought it will be like a guarantee that the reps won't occupy the oval office for another 8 years, what a huge error.

i even think that many people fell for the very same and therefore did either not fight enough and and some cases probably were so sure that they stayed at home.

so what, sorry for the TLTR, just still have to vent from time to time :-)

cheers and let's hope that when it comes to impeachment the wish is not the only father of the thought :D

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1159
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #1075 on: January 30, 2017, 04:37:10 PM »
Is this the Russian connection at work?

Trial Balloon for a Coup?
Analyzing the news of the past 24 hours
(6) Finally, I want to highlight a story that many people haven’t noticed. On Wednesday, Reuters reported (in great detail) how 19.5% of Rosneft, Russia’s state oil company, has been sold to parties unknown. This was done through a dizzying array of shell companies, so that the most that can be said with certainty now is that the money “paying” for it was originally loaned out to the shell layers by VTB (the government’s official bank), even though it’s highly unclear who, if anyone, would be paying that loan back; and the recipients have been traced as far as some Cayman Islands shell companies.

Why is this interesting? Because the much-maligned Steele Dossier (the one with the golden showers in it) included the statement that Putin had offered Trump 19% of Rosneft if he became president and removed sanctions.  The reason this is so interesting is that the dossier said this in July, and the sale didn’t happen until early December. And 19.5% sounds an awful lot like “19% plus a brokerage commission.”

Conclusive? No. But it raises some very interesting questions for journalists to investigate.
https://medium.com/@yonatanzunger/trial-balloon-for-a-coup-e024990891d5

The above article describes in rather horrifying detail the changes that took place in the U.S. Government over the past week.  Reader discretion advised.

Here is the Reuters article mentioned in the above quote:

How Russia sold its oil jewel: without saying who bought it
More than a month after Russia announced one of its biggest privatizations since the 1990s, selling a 19.5 percent stake in its giant oil company Rosneft, it still isn't possible to determine from public records the full identities of those who bought it.

The stake was sold for 10.2 billion euros to a Singapore investment vehicle that Rosneft said was a 50/50 joint venture between Qatar and the Swiss oil trading firm Glencore.

Unveiling the deal at a televised meeting with Rosneft's boss Igor Sechin on Dec. 7, President Vladimir Putin called it a sign of international faith in Russia, despite U.S. and EU financial sanctions on Russian firms including Rosneft.

"It is the largest privatization deal, the largest sale and acquisition in the global oil and gas sector in 2016," Putin said.

It was also one of the biggest transfers of state property into private hands since the early post-Soviet years, when allies of President Boris Yeltsin took control of state firms and became billionaires overnight.

But important facts about the deal either have not been disclosed, cannot be determined solely from public records, or appear to contradict the straightforward official account of the stake being split 50/50 by Glencore and the Qataris.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-russia-rosneft-privatisation-insight-idUSKBN1582OH
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1159
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #1076 on: January 30, 2017, 04:38:57 PM »
pileus

As I understand it on Friday afternoon Trump signed an order that was so outrageous that "spontaneous" protests occurred at all American international airports commencing at 1 PM local time on Saturday.
These "spontaneous" demonstrations occurred from Salt Lake International Airport , where there are fewer Democrats than Anglicans, to LAX, where Republicans are an endangered species. From Miami to Seattle they "spontaneously" unfurled their banners at 1 o'clock.
What an amazing coincidence!!

Terry

Two words:  social media.
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: January 30, 2017, 04:40:15 PM »
The good thing about "this time around" (as opposed to the removal of Nixon from office in the 1970's) is that things "move faster."  In addition.....everyone gets to see what people REALLY SAY (even though Donnie and others deny it).

The press.....except for the FAKE PRESS OF FOX NEWS......has put on their "big boy pants" and started to be DIRECT AND TO THE POINT....AND POINT OUT HIS LIES.  THAT...is a big step.

There will ALWAYS be a segment of the population that is BIGOTED....NARROW MINDED.....AND NOT INCLUSIVE.  There is also ANOTHER segment of the population that thinks "the market" should take care of everything.  These are people who think there should be "NO REGULATIONS" basically.  Just let everyone "go" and if people get stomped on....too bad.  That is another piece of Trump's followers.

But the majority of the US.....maybe 75%....doesn't want that.  It wants REASONABLE REGULATION......REASONABLE IMMIGRATION POLICY....etc.  In other words.....lay out the BOUNDARY of what is "fair".....and don't let those in positions of power TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THEIR POWER (whether that is from the political side OR the business side).

There are likely quite a few in the "Trump fold" who THOUGHT that Donald would be "going after the fat cats".....only to be quickly disillusioned by Trump FEEDING THE FAT CATS.  Those folks will leave pretty quickly as Trump's policies unfold.

I'm pretty optimistic about how this thing ENDS.....but NOBODY KNOWS what path it will take to get there. Remember....we're dealing with a SOCIOPATHIC LIAR....who will likely do ANYTHING HE CAN TO STAY IN POWER.  And that includes starting a war if he thought it would help.....or letting Israel send in some missiles into Iran.  Trump is capable of ANYTHING.  And he still has to hide from the FBI election fiasco as well as the Russian interference in elections fiasco.  Donnie isn't going to be getting much sleep over the coming weeks....

Eventually....I expect to see someone from his cabinet head for the door....THIS YEAR.....as well as some other lieutenants as they see the Trump is "losing it" mentally and not fit to serve.  The only "reasonable and ethical one" so far in his cabinet is General Mattis.....AND I DON'T WANT HIM TO LEAVE THE CABINET TO ALL THE CRAZIES.

Crazy.....

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: January 30, 2017, 04:49:21 PM »
Terry - I actually do think the protests were organic.  Yes, people gathered in many places at once, and some "red" areas of the US, but there are liberals and rational thinkers everywhere in the country, just not always in a critical mass for electoral purposes.  its very clear that the White House is looking for an opportunity to crack down on the protests and call out the National Guard, and to chill public gatherings going forward.  Not sure if the science march in April 29 will even be allowed by then.

Sigmetnow - I saw that Reuters article too and included comments in my post above, but removed them as I wasn't quite sure how legit it was and if I was just being a CT.  But if all those dots connect then Trump will be impeached over it.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: January 30, 2017, 05:53:53 PM »
The linked article is entitled: "'Malignant narcissism': Donald Trump displays classic traits of mental illness, claim psychologists".  If Trump actually has 'malignant narcissism' as some psychologists suspect, then the world is indeed in a lot of trouble (assuming that the Republican controlled Congress does not take timely measures to remove Trump from office).

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/donald-trump-mental-illness-narcisissm-us-president-psychologists-inauguration-crowd-size-paranoia-a7552661.html

Extract: "Until recently, it was illegal for psychologists to assess public figures and talk to journalists about their findings. But this rule has now changed, and mental health experts are speaking out about Trump.

In a bid to warn the public, psychologists are publishing their diagnoses of Trump. Most recently, John D. Gartner said Trump “is dangerously mentally ill and temperamentally incapable of being president.”

He believes Trump shows signs of “malignant narcissism,” which is defined as a mix of narcissism, antisocial personality disorder, aggression and sadism in Campbells’ Psychiatric Dictionary.

In December, three leading professors of psychiatry wrote to Barack Obama expressing their grave concerns over Trump's mental stability:

“His widely reported symptoms of mental instability - including grandiosity, impulsivity, hypersensitivity to slights or criticism, and an apparent inability to distinguish between fantasy and reality - lead us to question his fitness for the immense responsibilities of the office,” the professors from Harvard Medical School and the University of California wrote to the then President, urging him to order a “full medical and neuropsychiatric evaluation” of the then President-elect.

Just after the election, a group called Citizen Therapists Against Trumpism was created, which was joined by thousands of psychologists. They published a manifesto warning of Trump’s psychosis, citing the following as the signs to fear:

“Scapegoating and banishing groups of people who are seen as threats, including immigrants and religious minorities; degrading, ridiculing, and demeaning rivals and critics; fostering a cult of the Strong Man who appeals to fear and anger; promises to solve our problems if we just trust in him; reinvents history and has little concern for truth (and) sees no need for rational persuasion.”

Also see the following Wikipedia link on Malignant Narcissism:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malignant_narcissism

Extract: "Malignant narcissism is a psychological syndrome comprising an extreme mix of narcissism, antisocial personality disorder, aggression, and sadism.

Malignant narcissism is a hypothetical, experimental diagnostic category.

The social psychologist Erich Fromm first coined the term "malignant narcissism" in 1964, describing it as a "severe mental sickness" representing "the quintessence of evil".

The terms malignant narcissist and psychopath are sometimes used interchangeably because there is little to clinically separate the two."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: January 30, 2017, 06:08:33 PM »
The linked article is entitled: "Russian intel officer, cybersecurity investigator arrested for possible treason".  Are these two arrests in Russia, Putin's payback for the intelligence leaks that Putin ordered the hacking of the 2016 US elections?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2017/01/25/top-manager-russian-cybersecurity-firm-arrested/97029796/

Extract: "A top manager for Russia's largest cybersecurity firm and a senior Russian intelligence officer have been arrested on possible treason charges, the newspaper Kommersant reported Wednesday.

Also arrested was Sergei Mikhailov, described as a senior intelligence officer with the FSB, which is the successor to the KGB, the newspaper reported. Mikhailov is also active in public organizations, particularly the Information Security cluster of the Russian Association of Electronic Communications, according to Kommersant.

The pair were apparently arrested last month. The newspaper reported their social networks pages went silent during the first week of December.

U.S. intelligence agencies have accused Russia of meddling in the U.S. presidential election through hacking to help Donald Trump win the presidency.

― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: January 30, 2017, 06:12:06 PM »
The linked article is entitled: "A Dire Prediction for Trump's First 100 Days".  When Putin became Prime Minister of Russia he had little wealth, after 17-years in power he is now worth over USD $85 Billion; and this could prove a template for a Trump power grab:

http://www.alternet.org/election-2016/trump-presidency-disaster

Extract: "Why? Because it’s happened before.

In the fall of 1999, just months after then-unknown former FSB agent Vladimir Putin had been sworn in as prime minister of Russia, someone began bombing apartment buildings. Over the course of two terrible months, hundreds of people died in the series of explosions around the country and thousands were injured. As Masha Gessen tells it in her book The Man Without a Face, “panic set in all over the country.” The majority of the country assumed Chechen terrorists were responsible. Paranoia became the national mood and vigilante surveillance the national pastime. Into this chaos stepped Vladimir Putin.

“Putin made one of his first television appearances,” Gessen writes, “‘We will hunt them down,’ he said of the terrorists. ‘Wherever we find them, we will destroy them. Even if we find them in the toilet. We will rub them out in the outhouse.'...His popularity began to soar.”

Putin never looked back. Over the next 17 years, Putin ,  the uniquely unqualified newcomer to political office , became a global authoritarian. Russia was never the same.

Since those fateful days, experts around the world have come to agree that the Russian government was complicit in the terrorist bombings that swept Putin into power.

So, to summarize: In 1999 the FSB, the same organization now suspected of tampering in the U.S. election to tip it in favor of Donald Trump, was caught in the act of planting bombs in civilian apartment buildings in Russia in order to sow chaos and consolidate power for its disputed leader of choice."
― Leon C. Megginson

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: January 30, 2017, 06:34:35 PM »
ASLR - those are indeed interesting parallels.  The White House is certainly agitating for some type of Reichstag fire or terror attack on the homeland, to enable a crack down and further consolidation of power under the guise of "national security".  IMO is possible the White House even deliberately ignores or downplays intel that might raise defenses or prevent an attack.  But the US and Russia obviously have much different histories, internal politics and structures that would hamper Trump and Bannon from doing what Putin was able to achieve.  And, the White House is quickly losing support from the GOP, big money players, and across the general population.  Plus, with social media (which did not exist in 1999), it will be almost impossible for the White House to completely control the narrative and "fool" people into acquiescence.  Ironically, what elevated Trump (Twitter, friendly media) will ultimately play a big role in taking him out.

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: January 30, 2017, 07:34:27 PM »
Observing the past week it is quickly emerging that the "purity" test for Dems now and in 2018/20 could be complete and total opposition to the Executive Branch and Trump.  Is this a good and pragmatic way to govern and do the people's business?  No, but that's where the winds are taking us.

Even Elizabeth Warren, freaking Elizabeth Warren, could get swept up for her cabinet nominee votes so far, and for her nuanced explanations.  And outside of politics it threatens people like Elon Musk, who is a darling of the coastal elites and is so critical to the drive towards renewables.

I don't see this as a validation of Senator Sanders nor do I see him as the tip of the spear going forward.  It's probably people like Kamala Harris, Kirsten Gillibrand, Jason Kander.

Of course parallels are being drawn to the Tea Party 2009 emergence.  But that was mainly based on conspiracy theories and hatred of the black guy in the White House.  The current movement feels more authentic, and is capturing a much broader range of the citizenry, not just liberal snowflakes.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: January 30, 2017, 08:10:11 PM »
ASLR - those are indeed interesting parallels.  The White House is certainly agitating for some type of Reichstag fire or terror attack on the homeland, to enable a crack down and further consolidation of power under the guise of "national security".  IMO is possible the White House even deliberately ignores or downplays intel that might raise defenses or prevent an attack.  But the US and Russia obviously have much different histories, internal politics and structures that would hamper Trump and Bannon from doing what Putin was able to achieve.  And, the White House is quickly losing support from the GOP, big money players, and across the general population.  Plus, with social media (which did not exist in 1999), it will be almost impossible for the White House to completely control the narrative and "fool" people into acquiescence.  Ironically, what elevated Trump (Twitter, friendly media) will ultimately play a big role in taking him out.

The linked article is entitled: "Deep State vs. Donald Trump", it is written by Alastair Crooke who is a former British diplomat who was a senior figure in British intelligence and in European Union diplomacy.  Certainly, Team Trump thinks in terms of the Deep State vs. Team Trump (see the last two Breitbart linked articles), and this Crooke article gives a British perspective of this struggle and Putin's possible role in coming developments.  If Crooke's analysis is valid then Team Trump may try a string of dramatic acts to stay ahead of the neocons and their "Deep State".

http://www.middle-east-online.com/english/?id=81157

Extract: "–He has arrayed against him the still intact power of the Deep State, yet he chooses mainly to taunt them. His inaugural speech told the Deep State flatly to prepare for its own disempowerment. He has thereby “burnt his bridges” in respect to any subsequent Faustian sale of his soul. He can only succeed, or dramatically fail.
–For all the pomp of an orderly transfer of power on Jan. 20th, the reality behind the trappings is one of a “state of war” between the U.S. President and the still-present Deep State elites (but not necessarily the Deep State’s foot soldiers, many of whom, it appears, voted for Trump).

In other words, it is not so much the transactional possibilities that attracts Bannon to Putin, but a sense of dealing with someone who has an instinctive, almost telepathic, shared understanding of what Bannon and his Breitbart circle (now including Trump) are about, and how they view the world. This type of empathetic communication – if borne out by experience – does have a real potential to overcome otherwise difficult political differences."

See the linked Wikipedia article entitled: "Deep state in the United States".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_state_in_the_United_States

Extract: "Some writers, journalists, political scientists and political activists in the United States have for decades expressed concerns about the existence of a deep state or state within a state, which they suspect exerts influence and control over public policy, regardless of which political party controls the country's democratic institutions."

See also:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-journalism/2017/01/13/virgil-deep-state-strikes-back-permanent-campaign-donald-trump/
&
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/01/15/virgil-making-america-great-again-or-not-the-establishment-targets-trumps-top-strategist/

Edit: I believe that in these terms Team Trump represents one branch of the populist/nationalist movement and the Deep State in the US represents one branch of globalist thinking (epitomized by the WEF at Davos).
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 08:59:12 PM by AbruptSLR »
― Leon C. Megginson

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: January 30, 2017, 08:42:49 PM »

my answer would have been one single word, impeachment.

I thought Terry was asking a loaded question, because the only choice is impeachment. That's why I asked for your opinion. Thanks.

ritter

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1086 on: January 30, 2017, 08:58:45 PM »
Talking about scary...

The danger of Steve Bannon on the National Security Council

This is the most disturbing event I've read about so far, and that's a pretty high bar. I don't care which side of the isle you're on, this is wrong and needs to be resisted.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: January 30, 2017, 09:34:18 PM »
Talking about scary...

This is the most disturbing event I've read about so far, and that's a pretty high bar. I don't care which side of the isle you're on, this is wrong and needs to be resisted.

This executive measure allows Team Trump (/Bannon) to discuss (in the NSC meetings) purging the US military and intelligence community of "Deep State" loyalist, without military or intelligence participation in such discussions.

Edit, if this Team Trump vs Deep State concept has any merit then the following linked article entitled: "The Latest: GOP senator hits White House Holocaust statement", might support the idea that Neocon Republican Senators and Wall Street Banks (supposedly two members of the Deep State) are now actively attacking Team Trump.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/the-latest-trump-blames-delta-protests-for-airport-woes/2017/01/30/ab27b1a4-e6e9-11e6-903d-9b11ed7d8d2a_story.html?utm_term=.f2e5d947b398

Extract: "A Republican senator is criticizing the Trump administration for failing to mention Jews in a statement remembering the Holocaust.
Major Wall Street banks are speaking out against President Donald Trump’s temporary ban on refugees from several Muslim-majority countries."
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 09:46:20 PM by AbruptSLR »
― Leon C. Megginson

ritter

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1088 on: January 30, 2017, 09:51:16 PM »
Talking about scary...

This executive measure allows Team Trump (/Bannon) to discuss (in the NSC meetings) purging the US military and intelligence community of "Deep State" loyalist, without military or intelligence participation in such discussions.

Can't think of a better way to "disappear" dissent. Remove all factual intelligence and direct the new SS any way you please. Frightening times.
(edited to correct phone typos)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 11:03:46 PM by ritter »

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: January 30, 2017, 10:08:31 PM »
While I do not know whether the Team Trump vs Deep State concept has any validity (apparently Breitbart believes that it does, as noted in the Edit at the bottom of this post), the following linked article (from two different websites), provides additional 'color' commentary:

http://thesaker.is/a-color-revolution-is-under-way-in-the-united-states/
&
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-01-29/color-revolution-under-way-america

Extract: "But in the case of Flynn, several US security agencies can decide to investigate a man who by all standards ought to be considered at least in the top 5 US officials and who clearly has the trust of the new President.  And that does not elicit any outrage, apparently.

By the same logic, the three letter agencies might as well investigate Trump for his telephone conversations with Vladimir Putin.

Which, come to think of it, they might well do it soon…

This is all absolutely crazy because this is evidence that the US intelligence community as gone rogue and is now taking its orders from the Neocons and their deep state and not from the President and that these agencies are now acting against the interests of the new President.

In the meantime, the Soros crowd has already chosen a color: pink.

One of the most amazing features of this color revolution against Trump is the fact that those behind it don’t give a damn about the damage that their war against Trump does to the institution of the President of the United States and, really, to the United States as a whole.  That damage is, indeed, immense and the bottom line is this: President Trump is in immense danger of being overthrown and his only hope for survival is to strike back hard and fast.

The other amazing thing is the ugly role Britain plays in this process: all the worst filth against Trump is always eventually traced back right to the UK.  How come?  Simple.  Do you recall how, formally at least,  the CIA and NSA  did not have the right to spy on US nationals and the British MI6 and GCHQ had no right to spy on British nationals.  Both sides found an easy way out: they simply traded services: the CIA and NSA spied on Brits, the MI6 and GCHQ spied on Americans, and then they simply traded the data between “partners” (it appears that since Obama came to power all these measures have now become outdated and everybody is free to spy on whomever the hell they want, including their own nationals).  The US Neocons and the US deep state are now using the British special services to produce a stream of filth against Trump which they then report as “intelligence” and which then can be used by Congress as a basis for an investigation."

See also:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colour_revolution

Edit, the linked Breitbart article confirms that they believe that the Main Stream Media, MSM, is a tool of the 'Deep State', and thus is the opposition of 'Team Trump'.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-journalism/2017/01/18/virgil-donald-trump-vs-main-stream-media-five-questions-reporters-wrestle-war/

« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 12:15:53 AM by AbruptSLR »
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: January 30, 2017, 11:14:17 PM »
The linked article is entitled: "The Exxon Tillerson left behind: hidebound, secretive, and wedded to tradition at a time of mind-boggling change".  While the article is rather long, the following extracts could be used to support a scenario where 'Team Trump' primarily represents ExxonMobil's (& Putin's) interest and the 'Deep State' not only represents Wall Street, Neocons, and the Military Industrial Complex but also competitors to ExxonMobil like the Koch Brothers:

https://qz.com/861403/the-exxon-that-tillerson-is-leaving-behind-hidebound-secretive-and-doubling-down-on-its-traditions-at-a-time-of-mind-boggling-change/

Extract: "Through 2040 and beyond, oil and gas will still account for about 56% of the world’s energy demand, Exxon says in its latest outlook. That is about the same percentage as today, only with a shift to a bit more gas and a little less oil.

The rise of Trump and the addition of Tillerson to the State Department could significantly restore Exxon’s fortunes by reviving its projects in Russia. But the reality of low oil prices and harsh drilling conditions may result in Exxon banking the reserves from Victory, as Russia named the Arctic field the American company discovered in 2014, for years before actually producing the oil. Shell, for example, abandoned drilling in Alaskan Arctic waters a year ago, despite finding oil; in 2012, France’s Total said it would never drill in the Arctic because a catastrophic spill would exact too high a reputational cost. Exxon, too, could decide to go slow.

Of course, the politics of dealing with Putin may require Exxon to proceed with Victory anyway. For Putin, the Arctic is Russia’s only currently known economic driver for the 2020s and beyond. The country relies on oil and gas revenue for more than half the state budget, and much of its GDP growth. So, if sanctions are revoked, Exxon may be pressured to drill Victory regardless of whether it’s profitable. As a sweetener, Exxon could be permitted to proceed with more commercial acreage to which it also has access, in Russia’s vast west Siberian shale, known as Bazhenov. The Bazhenov shale, according to Russia’s energy ministry, contains an astounding 30 billion barrels of oil. Conditions there are difficult, but not on the scale of the Arctic. Exxon has a lot better chance making money there.

Exxon is not dying now or soon. Sankey, the analyst from Wolfe Research, said in a Jan. 17 note that the company’s recent discovery-and-acquisition binge demonstrates that it is taking its challenges seriously. Exxon’s trouble will come in the long term if it got electrics wrong, or if demand falls off the cliff. The company has made a one-way bet on oil in an extremely uncertain situation. Exxon’s ultimate Rockefellerian bet would be to muscle up, husband resources, and wait out the sweating going on all around it. As in the 1870s, it may find most of its rivals dropping like flies, allowing Exxon to pick up their assets at fire-sale prices. When demand is down to 20 million barrels a day, Exxon could command a strong fifth of it, and go on being the colossus with which we are familiar into the next century.

The biggest problem with such a strategy is the profound unpredictability of our age. If Exxon’s answer to the commotion around it is to stand still in apparent confidence that it either can withstand any blow and thrive in the aftermath, it can do so. Since Rockefeller, that tried-and-true strategy has served the company well. The question is who outwits whom on this occasion—Exxon or the times."

See also (at the same link as above) the article entitled: "Standing between Trump and dictatorship: Congressional Republicans, the courts, and the Koch brothers".

Extract: "In the first few days after the US inaugurated its new president, Republicans who openly criticized Donald Trump on the campaign trail remained mostly mum as he issued executives orders that stretched the power of the presidency. Many were taking a “wait and see” approach, to find out if they could get the corporate tax breaks and regulatory rollbacks they want while Trump pushed parts of his agenda they don’t agree with.
That honeymoon is over now.

Over the weekend, Republican bankroller Charles Koch broached a topic that seemed unthinkable just months ago in America—that the US president could morph into a dictator, unless his power is checked. “We have a tremendous danger because we can go the authoritarian route … or we can move toward a free and open society,” Koch reportedly told a closed-door meeting of Republicans."
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 11:32:26 PM by AbruptSLR »
― Leon C. Megginson

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: January 30, 2017, 11:26:52 PM »
Ban Sparks Panic Among Refugees Awaiting Urgent Medical Care In U.S.
“I’m going to die here by myself. Where do people expect all the refugees to go?”
 53 minutes ago

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: January 31, 2017, 12:43:37 AM »
Well things are unraveling quite rapidly.  IMO are looking at days to weeks until the breaking point.

The DOJ is now not going to defend the travel ban order (Trump must be seething), and the Executive Branch is losing (likely intentionally) support quickly on the GOP side.  There will be more inflammatory Exec Orders coming out, including one on LGBQT issues.  Protests will be massive, and there is an increasing risk of confrontations. Bannon's power play on the NSC to push out the military and intel representation is going to provoke a response.  If there really is a deep state, we will learn soon (IMO they will still give Congress the chance to act, but remember we are talking about the traitor McConnel and spineless Ryan).

Buckle up.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: January 31, 2017, 12:45:35 AM »
The linked article is entitled: "The Alt-Majority: How Social Networks Empowered Mass Protests Against Trump", and it indicates that mass protests may be the strongest tool to use against 'Team Trump":

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/30/technology/donald-trump-social-networks-protests.html?_r=0

Extract: "Something sure is. We’re witnessing the stirrings of a national popular movement aimed at defeating the policies of Mr. Trump. It is a movement without official leaders. In fact, to a noteworthy degree, the formal apparatus of the Democratic Party has been nearly absent from the uprisings. Unlike the Tea Party and the white-supremacist “alt-right,” the new movement has no name. Call it the alt-left, or, if you want to really drive Mr. Trump up the wall, the alt-majority.

The weakened news media is an easy mark for Mr. Trump. If the media is his only opponent, he’s got nothing to worry about.

Unlike the news media, though, protesters produce an undeniable reality. Protesters can’t easily be dismissed as “fake news.” They come to you unmediated — not from The New York Times, but from your friends and friends of friends on Facebook.

They are, in other words, just another version of your social network — the physical manifestation of an outraged News Feed. Because they’re people you know, they can’t easily be maligned as biased or unfair.

When politicians take on political crowds rather than other politicians, it usually ends badly. Hillary Clinton had to apologize for calling Mr. Trump’s supporters “deplorables.” After first bashing the women’s march on Twitter, even Mr. Trump had to praise the demonstrators.

There’s another reason for believing that protests could prove effective against Mr. Trump’s policies: The protesters seem to drive him crazy. Mr. Trump is enamored of crowds. Throughout the campaign, he and his surrogates argued that the polls were rigged, and that his large rallies suggested there was a growing tide of support for his candidacy. The crowds, in other words, became the whole ballgame. They were the only reality that mattered. If he won the crowd, he’d win the election.

Now Mr. Trump faces the same dynamic, in reverse. The crowds at his inauguration were supposed to certify his popularity. When they fizzled, and were then outmatched by opposition protests, he couldn’t help relitigating the matter for days."

Edit, see also the following linked article entitled: "Will the American People Stop Donald Trump from Starting World War III?"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/will-the-american-people-stop-donald-trump-from-starting_us_588fcb43e4b02c397c178b06
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 12:52:18 AM by AbruptSLR »
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: January 31, 2017, 12:59:43 AM »
If there really is a deep state, we will learn soon (IMO they will still give Congress the chance to act, but remember we are talking about the traitor McConnel and spineless Ryan).

I do not know whether the 'Deep State' exists, or not, either; however, per the linked article entitled: "The CIA’s “Deep State”, Donald Trump and His “War on Terrorism”", the alt-right clearly believes that it exists and Team Trump is likely to feed on this belief.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-cia-trump-and-his-war-on-terrorism/5571722

Extract: "The CIA is a headquarters of the Deep State and the Shadow Government. It is the nexus of criminality, and of the Bushes and Clintons, and the world-managing elite. The CIA enjoys a virtually unlimited black budget and virtually unlimited power that is beyond the reach of law, and beyond the control of the White House."
― Leon C. Megginson

Red

« Reply #1095 on: January 31, 2017, 01:12:44 AM »
You may find this interesting:
http://www.flassbeck-economics.com/the-liberals-president-eight-years-of-obama/

Extract:As Greenwald last week, now that Trump is the enemy –  a comfortable position which demands no thinking or insight – Democrats, still reeling from their traumatic election loss, as well as a systemic collapse of their party, and seemingly divorced further from reason with each passing day, are willing — eager — to embrace any claim, cheer any tactic, align with any villain, regardless of how unsupported, tawdry and damaging those behaviours might be in order to damage Trump (see here). This is not a fight of the Left against the Right. It is not a fight of democracy against authoritarianism or ‘fascism.’ It is the Democratic party struggling for its life. Of course, there are serious dangers to a Trump presidency. It is disaster. As Greenwald explains, there is a wide array of legitimate and effective tactics for combating threats: bipartisan congressional coalitions, constitutional legal challenges, citizen uprisings, civil disobedience (see here). But, as Greenwald continues – and this is the point – cheering for the CIA and its shadowy allies is outright pathological. As he writes: “Empowering the very entities that have produced the most shameful atrocities and systemic deceit over the last six decades is desperation of the worst kind. Demanding that evidence-free, anonymous assertions be instantly venerated as Truth — despite emanating from the very precincts designed to propagandize and lie — is an assault on journalism, democracy, and basic human rationality.” He is absolutely right.

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: January 31, 2017, 01:46:46 AM »
ASLR - if that is the case then Trump likely sealed his fate with his visit and speech before the Wall of Stars, and Bannon's NSC moves.

Red - interesting article.  Although there is a difference in cheering that entity on, versus observing simply that wheels may be in motion, and it may be a reaction to what is transpiring from the Executive Branch.  Trump and Bannon seem intent on ignoring or circumventing the standard tactics outlined by Greenwald, but the hope is that some of those are effective or successful.  The last thing that Dems want to see is a move by shadowy forces inside the intelligence community.  If it comes to that then either the standard gears of governance and bureaucracy have failed, or the threat is beyond what the public can see and appreciate.

And personally, if some powerful force within the federal government can prevent the US from entering a new war, based on lies and conspiracy and Trump's madness, in the Middle East where 10,000 US men and women die, and 10x that number of innocents, then consider me a cheerleader for the deep state.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 01:56:06 AM by pileus »

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: January 31, 2017, 02:07:46 AM »

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: January 31, 2017, 02:11:20 AM »
A Clarifying Moment in American History

For those that prefer not to click:

"Precisely because the problem is one of temperament and character, it will not get better. It will get worse, as power intoxicates Trump and those around him. It will probably end in calamity—substantial domestic protest and violence, a breakdown of international economic relationships, the collapse of major alliances, or perhaps one or more new wars (even with China) on top of the ones we already have. It will not be surprising in the slightest if his term ends not in four or in eight years, but sooner, with impeachment or removal under the 25th Amendment. The sooner Americans get used to these likelihoods, the better."
"There is in this week’s events the foretaste of things to come. We have yet to see what happens when Trump tries to use the Internal Revenue Service or the Federal Bureau of Investigation to destroy his opponents. He thinks he has succeeded in bullying companies, and he has no compunction about bullying individuals, including those with infinitely less power than himself. His advisers are already calling for journalists critical of the administration to be fired: Expect more efforts at personal retribution. He has demonstrated that he intends to govern by executive orders that will replace the laws passed by the people’s representatives.

In the end, however, he will fail. He will fail because however shrewd his tactics are, his strategy is terrible—The New York Times, the CIA, Mexican Americans, and all the others he has attacked are not going away. With every act he makes new enemies for himself and strengthens their commitment; he has his followers, but he gains no new friends. He will fail because he cannot corrupt the courts, and because even the most timid senator sooner or later will say “enough.” He will fail most of all because at the end of the day most Americans, including most of those who voted for him, are decent people who have no desire to live in an American version of Tayyip Erdogan’s Turkey, or Viktor Orban’s Hungary, or Vladimir Putin’s Russia."

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: January 31, 2017, 02:56:18 AM »
Red - interesting article.  Although there is a difference in cheering that entity on, versus observing simply that wheels may be in motion, and it may be a reaction to what is transpiring from the Executive Branch.  Trump and Bannon seem intent on ignoring or circumventing the standard tactics outlined by Greenwald, but the hope is that some of those are effective or successful.  The last thing that Dems want to see is a move by shadowy forces inside the intelligence community.  If it comes to that then either the standard gears of governance and bureaucracy have failed, or the threat is beyond what the public can see and appreciate.

And personally, if some powerful force within the federal government can prevent the US from entering a new war, based on lies and conspiracy and Trump's madness, in the Middle East where 10,000 US men and women die, and 10x that number of innocents, then consider me a cheerleader for the deep state.

In the interest of open discussion I provide the following extract from JimD's Reply # 578 in the "Empire - America and the future" thread, & I note that JimD claims to have previously worked in the IC (Intelligence Community):

"Democracy in America is hanging if not by a thread but a small rope and that rope is being sawed on right in front of your eyes.  Since you don't seem to want to listen to me I will provide below a couple of excellent takes on what is going on.  Think about how you are acting is playing into this and making it more likely.

From Lambert Strether - read the whole article starting at Politics

...Needless to say, once we give the IC veto power over a President before the vote is tallied, and before the electoral college votes, and after the electoral college votes but before the oath of office and the Inaugural, we’re never going to be able to take it back. This is a crossing the Rubicon moment. Now, you can say this is unique, not normal, an exceptional case, but “sovereign is he who decides on the exception” (Nazi legal theorist Carl Schmidt). And who then is the sovereign? The IC. Is that what liberals want?....

That my friends is the end of democracy in America.

Think for a second about how hard you struggle with the harsh things I say.  I come from that world and compared to the folks who run it I am a soft hearted liberal (actually I am such a being) who actually cares about happens to helpless people.  I assure you that those in charge do not feel that way.

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2017/01/200pm-water-cooler-1112016-3.html

From the end of the article which is worth a close read.

A Coup in the Making

This is not a game, even at the electoral level. It has nation-changing, anti-democratic consequences. Democratic voters fear a coup, or a kind of coup, led by the Trump administration, and for good reason. But there's another coup in the making as well, and Democrats are cheering it.

If a Republican elected official had publicly warned Obama not oppose a policy the Republicans and the CIA/NSA favored because "they have six ways from Sunday of getting back at you," what would — what should — our response to that be? Mine would be horror and shock that a Republican had dared make that threat, followed by fear that he, and the agencies behind him, will make good on it. At which point, it's farewell democracy, likely for a long long time.

Yet the following actually did happen (Greenwald again, my emphasis): "Just last week, Chuck Schumer issued a warning to Trump, telling Rachel Maddow that Trump was being 'really dumb' by challenging the unelected intelligence community because of all the ways they possess to destroy those who dare to stand up to them." And yet there was no shock or fear, at least from Maddow or her viewers.

And Schumer really did use the phrase "they have six ways from Sunday of getting back at you." The video is embedded here. Is that how Democrats plan to defeat Trump? Is it better, more comforting, if a Democrat makes that threat and appears to side with the security agencies' (the deep state's) strong-arm tactics?

A coup in the making — not the one we fear, which may also occur — but a coup nonetheless. This really is not a game, and both sides are playing for keeps.

http://downwithtyranny.blogspot.com/2017/01/whos-blackmailing-president-why-arent.html

The end of democracy is what we are talking about.  No joke. Do you really want to facilitate this. Just exactly who do you think is going to end up in charge?

You should note that the only thing Trump is doing which has generated this tidal wave of Deep State opposition is that he wants working relations, which are mutually economically beneficial to the US (as the top beneficiary), with Russia and China.  Need I point out that this is a really good thing for regular people? And a serious threat to the flow of pork money to a large segment of the Deep State whose face is the IC community and the military/industrial/political machine?

We are seeing a full blown attempt to overthrow the government here with the IC, the military/industrial/political machine (represented by folks like McCain and Clinton supporters), the oligopoly controlled mass media (there is literally nothing on the news which is not in support of this coup) and the baying of the Democratic party hordes.  But think for a minute what happens if Trump is deposed.  Then Pense becomes President and he is far more conservative than Trump and fully in line with the general outlook of the neo-cons in their game of global strategy.  So it is a large increase in struggles with Russia and vastly more resources dumped into the military complex and far less for everything else.  It is an even deeper dive into the overwhelming surveillance state and a complete loss of privacy for regular citizens (thus far more control over them by the forces of the oligopoly).  Not to mention that many of the liberal social programs will be gutted and hung in the garage to cure the meat.

So, hopefully you read all of the above and thought about it for a few hours or days.  We are in decline which is certainly irreversible.  But the pace of that decline can always be affected mostly in the direction of acceleration.  This is what could happen here and if it does the decline will accelerate significantly as what little influence or control the regular populace has will be seriously eroded or disappear.  Once the coup occurs there is no taking it back.

If we get manipulated into allowing a defacto coup things will get much worse quickly.  All of your hopes for some miracle to happen; the come to Jesus moment where all the world starts to cooperate, the aliens come save us, the Singularity happens, women stop having babies for a generation; will be dashed.  The waves of climate change and exceeding the global carrying capacity will wash right over us.

Have a cheerful New Year."
― Leon C. Megginson