Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Trump  (Read 1474025 times)

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
Re: The Trump Presidency (was "Presidential Poll")
« Reply #2750 on: August 19, 2017, 01:20:36 AM »
According to Bannon, when he gets to Breitbart he will be attacking "globalists" both inside and outside the White House in order to 'help' Trump by helping to destroy both establishment Republicans and Democrats:

Title: "Bannon Says He's `Going to War for Trump' After White House Exit"

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/bannon-says-hes-going-to-war-for-trump-after-white-house-exit/ar-AAqj5k2?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

Extract: "“If there’s any confusion out there, let me clear it up: I’m leaving the White House and going to war for Trump against his opponents -- on Capitol Hill, in the media, and in corporate America,” Bannon said Friday in an interview with Bloomberg News hours after his departure was announced."
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #2751 on: August 19, 2017, 02:23:08 AM »
Just something to think about:  We've never had two presidents kicked out of office in one term.  If Donnie were to magically step aside in the next month or so.....and then Mikey steps into the number 1 spot....and then Muellers report shows Mikey was involved in a coverup and HE gets impeached.  Boy....THAT raises a boatload of legal questions.  This is going to be quite the ride.

I also see that the "master flip flopper" Mitt Romney is sticking his nose in again.  After sucking up to Donnie and interviewing for the Sec of State job....he is now back to bashing Trump again... but if Mikey were to get booted  BEFORE he appoints a VP (it took Ford a couple of months) then Ryan would be looking for a VP....and Mitts name would come up.

Clearly this is all speculation....and nobody knows how this cluster is going to work out.  Chances are it will be wild.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 03:57:10 PM by Buddy »
FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #2752 on: August 19, 2017, 12:47:58 PM »
Trump resigned, quite a while ago.  In fact, he was never a President to begin with.
Opinion from The New York Times.

The Week When President Trump Resigned
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/18/opinion/sunday/president-trump-resignation.html?mcubz=0
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2753 on: August 19, 2017, 08:11:19 PM »
An image of Trump's disappearing advisers is worth a thousand words:
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #2754 on: August 19, 2017, 10:29:59 PM »
Perhaps the next one to leave will be Trump himself.

BudM

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: August 20, 2017, 12:54:39 AM »
The Trump presidency and a total eclipse of the sun/heart:
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: August 20, 2017, 03:21:25 AM »
The Confederacy was essentially a kleptocracy, which is why Donnie John wants present it as one of the things he wants to return to we he says: “Make American Great Again”, so that he and his follower can benefit from the loss of 'others'.

Title: "The Confederate mystique: White America’s toxic romance with a criminal regime"

http://www.salon.com/2017/08/19/the-confederate-mystique-why-is-white-america-hooked-on-the-poisonous-mythology-of-a-criminal-regime/

Extract: “Grant’s moral vision was clear enough. He saw the slaveholding aristocracy that drove the South into secession as an indefensible criminal regime, rooted in treason and an immoral economy where human beings were “bought and sold like cattle.”

Grant understood, earlier and more clearly than Abraham Lincoln did, that slavery was the fundamental cause of the Civil War, and also that the war had created a historic opportunity to extend American citizenship to people of all races for the first time.”
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: August 20, 2017, 03:35:20 AM »
The linked article indicates that Trump's poll ratings went up (particularly with Republicans) after Charlottesville.  Which to me indicates that indeed Republicans like the idea of a kleptocracy where they benefit at the expense of 'others'.

Title: “An Astounding Number of Republicans Still Support Trump, as His Approval Ratings Actually Go Up Post-Charlotte”

http://www.alternet.org/right-wing/astounding-number-republicans-still-support-trump-his-approval-ratings-actually-go-post
― Leon C. Megginson

logicmanPatrick

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • The Chatter Box
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2758 on: August 21, 2017, 12:37:37 AM »
I thought I'd share this view from the UK.  It's a brilliant short piece and well worth reading.  In case you thought that DT was alone in his abominable views, check out what our PM said - not in my name I hasten to add.
“I see no equivalence between those who propound fascist views and those who oppose them. I think it is important for all those in positions of responsibility to condemn far-right views wherever we hear them,”

David Mitchell doesn't mince his words in condemning our PM:
... Theresa May, whose mouth spouts so much horseshit you’d think her anus gobbled oats.

The last person left who daren’t diss the Donald… , The Guardian

As to rolling back the regulations - does that mean more tower block fires, more crumbling car parks?  Yes, NCP who must have the same speech-writer as DT really did say that a facia had fallen off and they hope to reopen the car park soon.  Fat chance!  I expect that it will need to be demolished as a matter of public safety.  Maybe if we paint it with anti-nazi slogans a gang of rednecks will turn up and demolish it for free.  ;D
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: August 22, 2017, 03:39:59 AM »
Giving a serious speech is NOT one of Donnie's strengths.....so excuse me if I hurl while I'm tring to write this post.  Fortunately.....his staff will give him rave reviews....so ssshhhhh, it's our little secret that his speech sucked.☹️

His Gallup poll numbers have been slowly zig zagging their way lower.  His job approval now stands at 35%, 1% above his record low so far.  If he was hoping that a stellar speech would galvanize some much needed support....he may want to re-think that strategy.😜

Kellyanne Conway and Sara Huckabee continue to be in the witness protection program....as they have not been seen in 10 days or so.   Will his communications folks ever give another daily briefing that includes questions?  Will Donnie ever give another press conference WITH QUESTIONS?

Amazing......truly amazing.  And the real fireworks haven't started yet....

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2760 on: August 22, 2017, 04:23:40 AM »
RE:  Afghanistan speech

1). "Honerable and enduring peace."  Hmmmmmmm where have I seen those words before.🙄

2).  Looking forward to press corps questioning Sara Huckabee when she gets off her sabatical.  Something tells me the press are going to bring some heat.

3). So Donnie's strategy is to stay in Afghanistan in perpetuity?  Or will Donnie eventually cut his/our losses and get the hell out of Dodge?

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
« Reply #2761 on: August 22, 2017, 06:47:44 AM »
I think this Afghanistan move will cost Trump bigly. One theme i heard and reheard over my travels in the last year or two was absolute disgust with foreign intervention by the USA.  Many of those i spoke to had served in the military, and many had serving children. All knew the huge drain of the military budget, and the corruption of the war complex. A great part of the wave of discontent that elected him was based on a belief that he would bring the troops home.

But of course it is Trump we are talking about. He might fire Mattis tomorrow. Or quit. Or send a few 100K more troops in.

sidd

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: August 22, 2017, 06:52:41 PM »
Or send a few 100K more troops in.

sidd

A gradual build-up of troops in Afghanistan could help Trump to pick a fight with Iran.
― Leon C. Megginson

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #2763 on: August 22, 2017, 10:01:04 PM »
Trump is having a rally in Phoenix, Arizona.
The Republican Governor of Arizona runs away to Mexico. (Yes, of all places).

I thought the Governor of a State had a duty to ensure that the peace was kept, and only he had the power to call out the National Guard (10 cc- Rubber Bullets) ?

And now Breitbart / Bannon have labelled him as a creature of the Generals.

With friends like these, who needs enemies ?
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: August 22, 2017, 10:12:36 PM »
I expect....unlike most other people....that Donnie will continue his "tonal shift" that he started last night.  Keep in mind that this is TONE....and it serves to soften his touch, and try to help his poll numbers with the moderate middle.  Will it look fake to you and me....YES.  Is it fake?  YES.  But there are a lot of gullable people out there.  Need I remind you who won?😫

I don't know what is going to happen with Sheriff Arpaio....but I will not be surprised to hear a more "kumbiya" TONE in coming weeks and months.  I think there were at least 2 important cabinet members that may have given him an ultimatum:  You continue to be a repulsive jackass and we are out of here.

No inside information....just reading the tea leaves and watching/listening to Trump and a couple others in his cabinet.

I'm NOT saying that everything will be "mild mannered" (it won't)....but I expect anything that is SCRIPTED....to be mild for Donnie.  More like last nights "tone" (lies).  Donnie did anything and everything to get elected....and I have expected him to "pivot" in tone much earlier than he has.  If he has to change and tone down his rancor, give a fake sympathetic speech every once in a while...I think he will do it....for a while.

The trouble with Donnie will come when things are NOT scripted....AND....as pressure grows from RussiaGate.  It's like a professional golfer who try's to change his swing.  It takes a year or two for them to get it engrained and it holds up to pressure.  Pressure is always the killer.

So don't expect Donnie to back off on "the wall" or anything like that.  Just look for more of the "tone" from last night mixed in with some red meat for the Trumpians.   How long could he keep it up?  No idea...weeks....months? 🤔

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: August 23, 2017, 04:36:41 AM »
Breitbart apparently is attacking Trump's 'globalist' family members:

Title: "Breitbart editor tells fake Bannon account: We'll do 'dirty work'"

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/breitbart-editor-tells-fake-bannon-account-well-do-dirty-work/ar-AAqyArR?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

Extract: "The notorious self-described "email prankster" has struck again, and this time, his target revealed what may be next for the Trump administration's relationship with right-wing Breitbart News, according a report from CNN.
From the fake Bannon account, the prankster emailed Breitbart editor-in-chief Alex Marlow on Sunday – prompting some very telling responses. 

"Reading online about how i'll be bringing forth my wrath on Ivanka (Trump) and Jared (Kushner)," the fake Bannon account wrote, referring to the president's daughter and son-in-law, who are also senior advisers to Trump. 

"I spooked em today," Marlow replied. "Did five stories on globalist takeover positioning you as the only hope to stop it."

Marlow then continued: "You need to own that, just have surrogates do the dirty work. Boyle, Raheem, me, Tony have been waiting for this." (Marlow appears to be referring to Washington editor Matthew Boyle, London editor Raheem Kassam and reporter Tony Lee.)

Per CNN, the exchange also included a smear against Ivanka Trump – and the fake Bannon account replying, "So do you think you'll have them packed and shipping out before Christmas?"

Marlow replied: "Let me see what I can do... hard to know given your description of them as evil. I don't know what motivates them. If they are semi-normal, then yes, they out by end of year.""

― Leon C. Megginson

Clare

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2766 on: August 23, 2017, 09:05:33 AM »
An aside:
I have been reading 'Wind in the Willows' by K Grahame (as part of a winter reading challenge from my local library). The character of Mr Toad reminds me so much of DT I could just be reading the news!
from Wikipedia:
"Mr. Toad is an anthropomorphic common toad who is the village squire, being the wealthy owner and occupant of Toad Hall. Toad is very rich and a bit of a fop, with a penchant for Harris tweed suits. He owns his own horse, and is able to indulge his impulsive desires, such as punting, house boating and hot air ballooning. Toad is intelligent, creative and resourceful; however, he is also narcissistic, self-centred almost to the point of sociopathy, and completely lacking in even the most basic common sense. "
 ::)

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: August 23, 2017, 01:05:31 PM »
Trump approve/disapprove numbers now at 35% vs 60% which is 1% away from his worst levels on each side per Gallup.

Both policy AND RussiaGate will be vying for press coverage.  Tax reform.......the wall......spending limits......budget.  Some big policy issues.  But RussiaGate is not going away.....quite the opposite.

Could Donnie's Gallup approval number get down to 30 before year end?  It could.  And when will Paul Ryan grow a spine?  Don't hold your breath.  All he wants is tax breaks for the wealthy.....he will put up with a lot of crap if he can get that.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: August 23, 2017, 09:37:37 PM »
The linked Alternet article discusses how far the Trump – McConnell relationship has deteriorated:

Title: "Trump and McConnell Can't Stand Each Other, and Now Their Private Feud Is Going Public"

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/trump-and-mcconnell-cant-stand-each-other-and-now-their-private-feud-going-public
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: August 23, 2017, 10:38:47 PM »
More important resignations are coming.  Kelly won't stay......neither will Nikki Haley.  They just need another push or two.  Another rally or two like Phoenix.....and they will give notice.

Remember.....Gorka and his wife are still there.  So is Miller....

And whoever kidnapped Sara FC Huckabee.....please return her.  I need a good 😂 laugh.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: August 24, 2017, 08:00:28 PM »
Couple things to keep an eye on re economy:

1). Advertising expenditures are down.  Advertising is the first thing that companies cut.
2). Existing home sales down in July
3). New home sales down 9.4% in July
4). New home inventory UP.....not good when combined with dropping new home sales.

Things to keep an eye on in coming weeks.  Price of oil still struggling to get out of its own way.....and stocks like Exxon continue to show weakness.  I continue to think Exxon is continuing on its trek to the low $60's or below before it bounces.

We could be heading for a "soft patch" in the economy.  Certainly not enough info YET.....but need to keep your eyes open.  👀

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: August 25, 2017, 01:38:22 AM »
I see that Sarah Huckabee's kidnappers returned her....and I just watched some of her lying dissertation...masquerading as a press conference.  I think Donnie's lying ways have rubbed off on Sarah.

If Donnie and company say that Mexico is going to pay for the wall....then wait the 6 to 18 months until Mexico pays for it until starting work on it.  Then....as Mexico pays for it...then you can build it.

Mexico is NEVER going to pay for it....and Donnie doesn't care if the US taxpayers get stiffed.  Sarah knows it....Donnie knows it...and we know it.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: August 25, 2017, 10:24:39 PM »
I post this here in a desperate attempt to avoid using the Foul Language thread.

Asked if he had a message for the people of Texas, Pres Trump said "good luck to everybody," and gave a thumbs up.
https://twitter.com/markknoller/status/901164623608647681

Edit:
"This video may ultimately haunt the remainder of Trump's presidency."
https://twitter.com/mattmfm/status/901176082518487040
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 10:35:14 PM by Sigmetnow »

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: August 26, 2017, 03:37:36 AM »
Trump just pardoned Sheriff Arpaio, showing contempt for the Constitution itself.  That is an impeachable offense.

"An Arpaio pardon would express presidential contempt for the Constitution. Arpaio didn’t just violate a law passed by Congress. His actions defied the Constitution itself, the bedrock of the entire system of government. For Trump to say that this violation is excusable would threaten the very structure on which is right to pardon is based.
   "The Constitution isn’t perfect. It offers only one remedy for a president who abuses the pardon power to break the system itself. That remedy is impeachment.

"James Madison noted at the Virginia ratifying convention that abuse of the pardon power could be grounds for impeachment. He was correct then -- and it’s still true now."
https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/view/articles/2017-08-23/arpaio-pardon-would-show-contempt-for-constitution

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: August 26, 2017, 04:17:12 AM »
The pardoning of Arpaio does 2 things:

1). It's a bone that Donnie gave to his fringe right
2). It's another straw that will eventually drive a couple folks from Donnie's admin.

When you go home at the end of the day, and you can't take enough showers to wash of the filth....then it's time to leave.  That day of reckoning is coming for a couple of folks.

logicmanPatrick

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • The Chatter Box
« Reply #2775 on: August 26, 2017, 04:26:09 AM »
Trump just pardoned Sheriff Arpaio, showing contempt for the Constitution itself.  That is an impeachable offense.

"An Arpaio pardon would express presidential contempt for the Constitution. Arpaio didn’t just violate a law passed by Congress. His actions defied the Constitution itself, the bedrock of the entire system of government. For Trump to say that this violation is excusable would threaten the very structure on which is right to pardon is based.
   "The Constitution isn’t perfect. It offers only one remedy for a president who abuses the pardon power to break the system itself. That remedy is impeachment.

"James Madison noted at the Virginia ratifying convention that abuse of the pardon power could be grounds for impeachment. He was correct then -- and it’s still true now."
https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/view/articles/2017-08-23/arpaio-pardon-would-show-contempt-for-constitution

You beat me to it.  I just strolled by to note that even as Texas is bracing for a cat 4 hurricane the Don is focussed on what matters most to him: bribing his ultra-right supporters.  When pictures emerge of people gathered for shelter or to receive aid, you can bet good money that the Don, or his supporters, will claim that these are crowds of his supporters.

In the UK, where judges are not politically appointed and cannot ordinarily be sacked, a conviction for criminal contempt means what it says: go directly to jail.  If our PM were to pardon someone as nasty as Sherrif Arpaio there would be mass demonstrations and possibly riots.

Speaking personally, as one who grew up amongst people who had witnessed nazi atrocities first hand, I am glad that here in the UK we don't have much of a problem with neo-nazis.  Mostly they are treated with much-deserved derision.

Buddy - just caught you post as I was posting this.

The pardoning of Arpaio does 2 things:

1). It's a bone that Donnie gave to his fringe right
2). It's another straw that will eventually drive a couple folks from Donnie's admin.

When you go home at the end of the day, and you can't take enough showers to wash of the filth....then it's time to leave.  That day of reckoning is coming for a couple of folks.

Gorka just quit.  Who's next to jump from this sinking ship?

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: August 26, 2017, 05:01:56 AM »
I think Gorka was likely pushed off the ship.  His wife still works there however.  They are both small fish.

I also think Donnie may keep Stephen Miller around.  Somebody has to write Donnie's Nazi speeches....and Miller wrote Donnie's dark inauguration speech.

The 3 that I would watch are Mattis, Kelly, and Nikki Haley.  Mattis may not leave because he feels it is his duty.  But Kelly, even though he is military as well....he's the Chief of Staff....so it's not like Mattis who is the Sec of Defense.  I think Kelly will leave if he is pushed too far.  Donnie trying to call out Kelly  onto the stage in Phoenix was not a good move.  Pardoning Arpaio was also probably not well received by Kelly.  At some point Kelly may think it is his DUTY TO LEAVE. 

We are wading further into uncharted waters....and into "crazy land."  Remember ..we're dealing with a sociopath.

The process continues.  And next week is likely going to be a rough one.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 03:33:34 AM by Buddy »

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: August 27, 2017, 12:06:43 AM »
I'm not a big fan of Ryan Zinke who is the interior secretary in Donnies cabinet....BUT.....I am a HUGE fan of his daughter.  HUGE.

She is a diver in the Navy....and her married name is Jennifer Detlefer.  She is NOT likely going to be invited to the White House for Christmas.

I'm mobile right now so I can't link....but if you have time....look up #itmfna.  That is how she signed off on her tweet.....and it's an acronym for "impeach the mother fucker now already."

Her tweet is even more pointed.  I think it is my favorite tweet of all time....by a mile.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: August 27, 2017, 03:57:02 AM »
Whether it is your golf swing, scheduling a trip to the beach, or politics........timing is everything.  Especially when it comes to pardoning for Donnie.  I think Donnie is going to find himself in a bit of a bind when it comes to pardoning people in RussiaGate.

First.....I think there may be a lot of the:  Memers of the US House (hi Paul😉)......a senator or two, his older kids, members of his administration, etc.  A lot of folks.

So.....with the pardoning of Bigot Joe.....Donnie has shown that he is more than willing to use the "pre-emotive pardon" (even before Joe is sentenced).

Donnie could go ahead at pre-emptively pardon all the people he "thinks" would rat on him.....or if he wants to go further.....pardon all the people he thinks KNOW about any of the schenanigans.

But there are a few problems with that:

1). Pardoning all those people would be an admission of guilt to many folks in the US....and likely some senators who would be trying him in the Senate if the US House impeached him. 

2). For anyone that he doesn't pardon.....they could be in legal jeopardy after Donnies term is up.....especially if Donnie were to miraculously not get run out of office this term, and he were to lose a re-election.  If Donnie didn't pardon them before he left office in January.....they are then legally exposed.  And Donnies word is only as good as fool's gold.  Not very good.

3). Pardons only apply to federal crimes.....so all the Trump kids and Donnie still have legal jeopardy with the state of New York AG.  And the city of New York does NOT like Donnie.

This will be something to watch over the coming months....

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #2779 on: August 27, 2017, 04:06:06 AM »
. . .

Donnie could go ahead at pre-emptively pardon all the people he "thinks" would rat on him.....or if he wants to go further.....pardon all the people he thinks KNOW about any of the schenanigans.

But there are a few problems with that:

1). Pardoning all those people would be an admission of guilt to many folks in the US....and likely some senators who would be trying him in the Senate if the US House impeached him. 

2). For anyone that he doesn't pardon.....they could be in legal jeopardy after Donnies term is up.....especially if Donnie were to miraculously not get run out of office this term, and he were to lose a re-election.  If Donnie didn't pardon them before he left office in January.....they are then legally exposed.  And Donnies word is only as good as fool's gold.  Not very good.

3). Pardons only apply to federal crimes.....so all the Trump kids and Donnie still have legal jeopardy with the state of New York AG.  And the city of New York does NOT like Donnie.

This will be something to watch over the coming months....

You forgot one:
4). Anyone who receives a pardon loses his 5th Amendment privilege against self-incrimination.  Mueller can compel testimony from anyone so pardoned.  So if, say, Manafort and Flynn were pardoned, they could be forced to testify about everything they knew.  So pardoning them just *increases* Trump's legal liability.

logicmanPatrick

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • The Chatter Box
« Reply #2780 on: August 27, 2017, 05:23:51 AM »
Sheriff Arpaio should never have been pardoned.

Depriving people of their liberty through racial profiling is an act of tyranny.

Blackstone (British jurist) cited by US court:

‘To bereave a man of life … or by violence to confiscate his estate, without accusation or trial, would be so gross and notorious an act of despotism as must at once convey the alarm of tyranny throughout the whole nation; but confinement of the person, by secretly hurrying him to jail, where his sufferings are unknown or forgotten, is a less public, a less striking, and therefore a more dangerous engine of arbitrary government.’

Boumediene v. Bush  553 U.S. 723 (2008)

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2781 on: August 27, 2017, 08:28:07 AM »
Sheriff Arpaio should never have been pardoned.

Depriving people of their liberty through racial profiling is an act of tyranny.

Blackstone (British jurist) cited by US court:

‘To bereave a man of life … or by violence to confiscate his estate, without accusation or trial, would be so gross and notorious an act of despotism as must at once convey the alarm of tyranny throughout the whole nation; but confinement of the person, by secretly hurrying him to jail, where his sufferings are unknown or forgotten, is a less public, a less striking, and therefore a more dangerous engine of arbitrary government.’

Boumediene v. Bush  553 U.S. 723 (2008)

Sheriff Joe was and is a huge piece of sh** that terrorized Maricopa County for decades. Being poor, or Mexican was a crime & "criminals" were ridiculed, humiliated and tortured under his watch.
Trump's worst decision to date!
Terry

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: August 28, 2017, 01:26:09 PM »
Over the weekend..... Tillerson and Mattis pulled away from Trump slightly.  This is part of the continuing process of people pulling away from Trump.  It is a slow process...but week by week it continues.

Two things to me that are interesting.....are the exposure of the "political Christians" (as opposed to real Christians).... and the racist segment of the US.  And there is some definite overlap in those two groups as well.  My girlfriend has a couple of friends who are racists while at the same time touting their supposed Christianity.

I guess it shouldn't be surprising that those two groups support Trump.  But they are being exposed...and that is a good thing.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 03:19:27 PM by Buddy »

Archimid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 899
  • Likes Given: 206
« Reply #2783 on: August 28, 2017, 02:26:48 PM »
That pulling away might not be real. While conventional wisdom says that showing unity shows strength, that may not apply to Trump. He is creating chaos to gain strength. Giving the appearance of dissent within the ranks gives relative credibility to those that appear to dissent. Then they spend that credibility doing something outrageous that doesn't seem outrageous because of the credibility we already lent them.

Session and the rest of Trumps accomplices are doing the same thing. They appear to dissent over trivial matters but then establish even more outrageous policies. It is a slow grind to absolute power.
I am an energy reservoir seemingly intent on lowering entropy for self preservation.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: August 28, 2017, 03:39:42 PM »
I think the thoughts by Mattis are VERY REAL.  Tillerson pulling away slightly...I also think is real, but we'll find out for sure over the next few months.

Humans change their position on things slowly....and it is a process.  The polls show that.  And as the polls slowly deteriorate....others will pull away as well.  Some.....like DeVoss, Perry, Sessions, Carson, etc...will NEVER pull away.  And just like Nixon, there will be 25 - 30% of the population that will stick with him to the bitter end. 

I expect crazy things to happen in the coming months..... We all know (with the exception of someone living in Canada and someone in Australia), that Donnie is really crazy.  But we don't yet know what level of craziness he will go to.  I suspect it is higher than any of us think it is.  Think... Houston rainfall levels of craziness.⛈🌪  And he is not only crazy....he is mean, short sighted, impulsive, and without empathy.  Not a good combination.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: August 28, 2017, 10:08:58 PM »
In American football....there is never a "good time" for your team to fumble or throw an interception.  But some fumbles are worse than others.  Like when your offense is on its own 10 yard line and your backed up to your end zone.  NOW would not be a good time for Donnie to have a fumble....like someone leaving his cabinet.  Pressure is mounting on Donnie....Mexico is making him look like a total fool....and his poll numbers are slowly sinking.   More bad info on Russia continues to spill out.  He looks and sounds like a bafoon regarding the storm.

It's third down and twenty on his own ten yard line.  What play is Donnie going to call?

« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 12:36:48 PM by Buddy »

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: August 29, 2017, 01:33:36 PM »
So now we are to the point that everyone except a couple of lonely soles from Australia and Canada know that Donnie and company were working with people connected to the Russian government during the election.

Now my concern turns to policy.  And one of the last things that Donnie will try to get accomplished as he limps toward his resignation sometime within the next 10 - 12 months....is tax policy.

If you listen to the Trump administration (🤡) or to those in the GOP (💀💀💀💀)....they will continually say that the US has one of the highest tax rates in the world.

FIRST....you need to understand the difference between STATATORY rate and EFFECTIVE rate.  The statutory rate is based on the tax BEFORE tax credits reduce your tax liability.  EFFECTIVE rate is based on the ACTUAL TAX YOU PAY (which is AFTER the credits).  EFFECTIVE RATE is the important rate.  The US only has a slightly higher effective rate....while the US has a much higher statutory rate.  In other words... the US has a lot of tax credits, especially corporate tax credits.

The second thing you need to understand is the US spends as much on defense as the next umpteen countries COMBINED (and Donnie wants to increase that).  If you spend THAT much on defense...you're going to HAVE to have at least a slightly higher effective rate.

So when the tv adds that are now running, talk about the US rates being much higher in the US....that is NOT TRUE for the important EFFECTIVE RATES.

logicmanPatrick

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • The Chatter Box
« Reply #2787 on: August 30, 2017, 12:43:23 AM »
But, but, but crowds!  Ratings!

During his visit to Texas in response to Hurricane Harvey, President Trump told a crowd gathered outside a Corpus Christi firehouse, "What a crowd. What a turnout," according to media reports.

My San Antonio

“Actually, in the middle of a hurricane, even though it was a Friday evening, I assumed the ratings would be far higher than they were normally.”
Trump Eyed ‘Far Higher’ Ratings in Pardoning Joe Arpaio as Hurricane Hit, NYT

ritter

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
« Reply #2788 on: August 30, 2017, 05:42:57 PM »
Ratings and grandstanding aside, I really hope that the 45 crew manages a useful response to Harvey. There will be finger pointing no matter what but I hope that the best that can be done is done.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: August 30, 2017, 06:59:43 PM »
Just a reminder that the lies/policies of Trump, FOX, and others have given cover to the fossil fuel companies over the past few decades.....and will increase the amount of money that we will have to pay on storms like Harvey......as well as the additional costs from sea level rise.

Harvey is just another "taste" of global warming......much like Hurricane Sandy and many other storms that have already happened.....and will continue to INCREASE in size and intensity in coming years around the globe.

A LOT of the blame for the US's slow reaction to global warming rests SQUARLEY at the feet of FOX News.  And Trump's policies are in lock step with FOX on global warming.

Trump and FOX continue to lie.....and continue to be responsible for those lies.....and the outcome of those lies.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2790 on: August 31, 2017, 04:53:04 PM »
The phrase/quote that "success has many fathers, but failure is an orphan" has its origin in 98 AD (No......not 98 years "After Donnie ::).  So it has been around for a long time.  Kennedy used a variation of that in describing the Bay of Pigs fiasco in the early '60's.

And now......we will be seeing a lot of "fathers" running away from what they created in Donald Trump.  They won't all leave at once.....and you can see how that process had already started over the past several months.  But now....it is likely to gain a little momentum.

And this loss of power by Donnie is likely to negatively impact his ability to get anything of consequence done.

His move to do away with many of the regulations of Obama.....is now looking to be foolish and short sighted.  His refusal to stay in the Paris climate change accord......likewise is looking foolish.

I'm sure that the people of Houston will be feeling much better now that Mikey (Pence) is coming to town.  This is the same Mikey who voted AGAINST flood relief after Hurricane Sandy.  I want to see him spin that one.

Much of the Trump administration is dead man walking.  They just don't know it yet. :o

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: August 31, 2017, 05:52:43 PM »
Terry may be displeased to learn that Mattis is considering arming Ukraine:

Title: "Are Trump's Generals on the Verge of Committing the Biggest Blunder of His Presidency?"

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/are-trumps-generals-verge-committing-their-biggest-blunder-his-presidency

Extract: "James Mattis is considering arming Ukraine—a strategy that's sure to backfire."
― Leon C. Megginson

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: August 31, 2017, 06:04:16 PM »
Terry is certainly very displeased that anyone anywhere would arm any neo-nazi entity!

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 120
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #2793 on: September 01, 2017, 08:51:55 AM »
Terry is certainly very displeased that anyone anywhere would arm any neo-nazi entity!
Which neo-nazi entity are you talking about ?
This is our planet. This is our time.
Let's not waste either.

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: September 01, 2017, 08:54:36 AM »
Terry may be displeased to learn that Mattis is considering arming Ukraine:

Title: "Are Trump's Generals on the Verge of Committing the Biggest Blunder of His Presidency?"

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/are-trumps-generals-verge-committing-their-biggest-blunder-his-presidency

Extract: "James Mattis is considering arming Ukraine—a strategy that's sure to backfire."

Mmm. Arming Ukraine (even with defensive weapons) never looked like a good strategy.
It would just give Russia an excuse to further their military objectives in Ukraine.
Let's not waste either.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: September 01, 2017, 02:57:55 PM »
Which neo-nazi entity are you talking about ?

The ones that honor Stepan Bandera, the SS, and the OUN.
Terry

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: September 02, 2017, 04:18:17 AM »
The ones that honor Stepan Bandera, the SS, and the OUN.

OK. These would be people voting for 'Right Sector'.
Right Sector obtained only 1.8% of the vote in Ukraine during the October 2014 elections.

There are far-right nationalists in every country.
To single out Ukraine is disingenuous, especially since one is ruling Russia, and the US just elected one as president.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 04:24:25 AM by Rob Dekker »
Let's not waste either.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: September 02, 2017, 08:41:25 PM »
If we want to look for the roots of Trump's (Mr. "I know all the best words") success at populist antiestablishmentarianism, we can trace them back to Ronald Reagan.  This populist behavior will make it very difficult for governments to fight climate change and its consequences (just look at Houston):
― Leon C. Megginson

logicmanPatrick

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • The Chatter Box
« Reply #2798 on: September 03, 2017, 01:31:04 AM »
AbruptSLR

That last quote had me thinking of April 15 1865, perhaps a 'glass half-full / half-empty' allusion.

I found the original words: he was evidently refering to taxes.  I guess you knew that, but we old-world inhabitants need to embark on a voyage of discovery aka a Google search.

Others would raise your taxes and the taxes of working families all across America. Well, we're not going to let them enact their tax plan, not on your life. Our pledge is for tax simplification, to make the system more fair and easier to understand, so we can bring yours and everybody's income tax rates further down, not up.

The American people aren't undertaxed; the Government in Washington is overfed. You know, I sometimes think that the main difference between ourselves and the other side is we see an America where every day is the Fourth of July, and they see an America where every day is April 15th. [Laughter]
souce: UCSB The American Presidency Project

In passing - or should that be: 'in parsing'?

Parsing the words is only the tip of the iceberg. A Trump needs to internally represent what has been said, in the contexts of 'me' and 'I', so the Trump can “think” about what has been said — that is, to manipulate the meanings to represent the concepts expressed in the words it received as a child — in order to respond in a way that connects back to the world of ratings and crowd size.

Blatantly plagiarised from Chatbots Magazine

Archimid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 899
  • Likes Given: 206
« Reply #2799 on: September 03, 2017, 02:03:18 AM »
republicans love big government. The military, the war on drugs, congressional pork and immigration are the clearest example. They only use the "big government" label for things they don't like.
I am an energy reservoir seemingly intent on lowering entropy for self preservation.