Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Trump  (Read 1474104 times)

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: The Trump Presidency (was "Presidential Poll")
« Reply #2950 on: October 13, 2017, 07:24:13 PM »
I don't expect poll numbers to change quickly.  The poll numbers will move slowly over time...just as it has over the last 8 months.  Remember....anyone who approves of Donnie by now is either blind, hasn't looked at reality, or is Russian (maybe Canadian/Russian😉).

And Republicans in Congress will SLOWLY pull away.  I would expect more movement in public opinion by late winter or early spring.

But Donnie is financially supported by laundered money from Russia and money from the PRIOR Ukrainian leaders.  And short little Uncle  Vladi has Donnie by the short hairs...and he apparently owes   a LOT more favors .

I don't think we've seen anything exciting YET.

FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

logicmanPatrick

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • The Chatter Box
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2951 on: October 14, 2017, 06:20:02 AM »
Is Trump losing his marbles?
Comments on twitter about Jekyll and Hyde when POTUS 1st tweeted about withdrawing aid from PR and next day said he will always be with them.

He also spoke about meeting the president of the Virgin islands.
https://www.rawstory.com/2017/10/complete-moron-internet-ridicules-trump-for-saying-he-spoke-to-the-president-of-virgin-islands-aka-himself/
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Pmt111500

« Reply #2952 on: October 14, 2017, 06:48:43 AM »
Is Trump losing his marbles?
I think he saw some marbles about 15 years ago, and decided they were 'too round' to have some use.  So my answer would be 'no', they are not crooked enough to interest him.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 07:20:36 AM by Pmt111500 »

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: October 14, 2017, 12:14:22 PM »
There is a good article is Slate titled "John Kelly Tells The Truth."

It is about the White House briefing a couple days ago where....unusually...Kelly talked about his job.

If you have seen  the video clip of Kelly during that briefing...you will likely understand why I am high on Kelly.  And when he leaves....why it will be a big blow to Donnie.  Because when he leaves...it will be an important turning point for some of the Republicans in Congress.

Remember.....this is a LONG painful process.  And one that I think will MAY end up in Trump being pushed out BEFORE the findings of Mueller are released.  I think Donnie is capable of screwing things up so badly....that Republicans will be forced to see the obvious:  Moron Don is not fit to be president.

We're still MANY months away from that possibility.  But Corker speaking out was a step in that direction.  And when Kelly leaves....that will be a BIG step in that direction.  But the Republicans that will eventually peel away are on varying timelines.  So this is going to take time. 

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #2954 on: October 14, 2017, 03:24:00 PM »
There is a good article is Slate titled "John Kelly Tells The Truth."

It is about the White House briefing a couple days ago where....unusually...Kelly talked about his job.

If you have seen  the video clip of Kelly during that briefing...you will likely understand why I am high on Kelly.  And when he leaves....why it will be a big blow to Donnie.  Because when he leaves...it will be an important turning point for some of the Republicans in Congress.

Remember.....this is a LONG painful process.  And one that I think will MAY end up in Trump being pushed out BEFORE the findings of Mueller are released.  I think Donnie is capable of screwing things up so badly....that Republicans will be forced to see the obvious:  Moron Don is not fit to be president.

We're still MANY months away from that possibility.  But Corker speaking out was a step in that direction.  And when Kelly leaves....that will be a BIG step in that direction.  But the Republicans that will eventually peel away are on varying timelines.  So this is going to take time.

When Corker said that Mattis, Tillerson, and Kelly were all that stood between manageable dysfunction and catastrophic executive branch chaos, I think he wasn't just speaking for himself, but for M,T,&K themselves.

Corker: Tillerson, Mattis and Kelly 'separate our country from chaos'
http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/04/politics/bob-corker-mattis-tillerson-kelly/index.html

I believe loyalty to country will keep them in their positions.  They'll stay until asked to leave, or until Trump is out of office.  They may well be all that stands in the way of global nuclear conflagration.  Whenever they do leave, they'll likely be tarnished by their association with Trump, despite having done all in their power for their country and the world.

"Après nous le déluge"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Après_nous_le_déluge

-Steve

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
« Reply #2955 on: October 14, 2017, 03:50:51 PM »
The demand for billionaire bunkers has increased 300% since the November 2016 election of Donald J. Trump as the president of the USA.  I guess that this shows how much faith the billionaires have in The Donald:

Title: "Billionaire bunkers: How the 1% are preparing for the apocalypse"

http://edition.cnn.com/style/article/doomsday-luxury-bunkers/index.html

Extract: "A number of companies around the world are meeting a growing demand for structures that protect from any risk, whether it's a global pandemic, an asteroid, or World War III -- while also delivering luxurious amenities.

"Your father or grandfather's bunker was not very comfortable," says Robert Vicino, a real estate entrepreneur and CEO of Vivos, a company he founded that builds and manages high-end shelters around the world.

"They were gray. They were metal, like a ship or something military. And the truth is mankind cannot survive long-term in such a Spartan, bleak environment."

Many of the world's elite, including hedge fund managers, sports stars and tech executives (Bill Gates is rumored to have bunkers at all his properties) have chosen to design their own secret shelters to house their families and staff.

Gary Lynch, general manager of Texas-based Rising S Company, says 2016 sales for their custom high-end underground bunkers grew 700% compared to 2015, while overall sales have grown 300% since the November US presidential election alone."
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2956 on: October 14, 2017, 04:07:22 PM »
Loyalty to country doesn't mean that he goes down with the ship.  Loyalty to country also means that he can get off the ship....tell people there is a gaping hole in the ship, and if it doesn't get fixed the ship will, indeed, go down.

Whether he try's to push that story from inside till Donnie releases him... or...thinks he has more freedom to do that out of office.  But his loyalty to country doesn't mean he has to stay with the ship.  The country is much bigger than the ship.....
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 11:35:14 PM by Buddy »

logicmanPatrick

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • The Chatter Box
« Reply #2957 on: October 14, 2017, 04:56:35 PM »
Loyalty to country doesn't mean that he goes down with the ship.  Loyalty to country also means that he can get off the ship....tell people there is a gaping hole in the ship, and if it doesn't get fixed the ship will, indeed, go down.

Whether he try's to push that story from inside till Donnie releases him... or...thinks ge has more freedom to do that out of office.  But his loyalty to country doesn't mean he has to stay with ship.  The country is much bigger than the ship.

When the cruise-ship skipper is aiming for the rocks and opening the sea-cocks, duty demands the crew stay on board and try to protect the passengers.

Donnie is at the helm of the cruise ship Planet Earth.  It is a duty of all people, not just the crew, to put the captain in a strait-jacket.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2958 on: October 14, 2017, 10:46:14 PM »
Trump has pulled the US out of UNESCO.
After Paris, NAFTA, TTIP, TTP, and a 300% tariff on an ally's airplanes, it almost seems as though Trump's vision of the future doesn't include many shared commitments.

Someone grading him might append a note saying, "Donald does not play well with others". :)
Terry

magnamentis

« Reply #2959 on: October 14, 2017, 11:17:16 PM »
he should go by the name of dagobert instead of the "donald" LOL

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #2960 on: October 15, 2017, 02:01:28 AM »
From Facebook:  About the Non-Presidential response to the death and destruction happening due to the California wildfires.

We are safe in a hotel for another night. Well, those who know me knew my silence on the politics involved here would not last long. If it bothers you, I understand but it's time to say this. I just watched a man on television describe how his wife died in his arms in Santa Rosa and a mother in tears recounting her son succumbing to the flames in their driveway while trying to escape. People have been burned alive. A women who barely survived the carnage in Las Vegas lost her house. A woman in a wheelchair was waiting to die until a brave sheriff's officer risked his life to save her. Rescuers are finding bodies burnt beyond recognition; other reduced to bones and ash. So far, 36 people have lost their lives, 100,000 people have been evacuated trying their best to find shelter and almost 6,000 structures have been totally destroyed. People are enduring unimaginable circumstances. Also, there is no telling how many pets and wildlife didn't make it. No one can really imagine what this hell is like.

Not that I really care what he says or does, but Trump has not tweeted one word, made a speech, or shown any compassion at all for the victims of the California wildfires. Nothing. Zero. Worthless liberal heathens that we are and not as deserving as the dead red states of Texas and Florida. Are the dead in California less dead? Are their destroyed homes homes not a big deal? Are 100,000 refugees just a statistic? Others do care what the president says and his silence is deafening. If nothing else, the incredibly courageous and selfless firefighters, police, pilots, doctors, nurses and other civil servants deserve thanks and acknowledgment.

Finally, anyone who respects the educated professionals whose lives have been devoted to studying the earth and it's climate, understands that the warming earth and oceans increases the severity of nature's worst tragedies. Like fires, hurricanes and tornadoes as any American could see with their own eyes this year. Warm waters, torrential rains, overgrown brush, excessive heat, severe droughts and hurricane force winds are all a result. This is going to happen again and again as the Trump administration and their GOP and corporate enablers continue to dismantle all efforts aimed at slowing or reversing climate change. This is the new reality.
https://www.facebook.com/johnehrenfeld125/posts/10210572506853761

Oh, by the way, he's gone golfing again this weekend.
I would be more angry, except for the fact that keeping him out of the White House, and away from news and communications, lessens the chance he will do something even worse.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/how-much-time-trump-spending-trump-properties-n753366
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #2961 on: October 15, 2017, 02:25:26 AM »
After Senator Bob Corker’s “White House as Adult Day Care” tweet, more and more WH staffers are opening up about the unmistakable signs of Trump’s dementia:

Gabriel Sherman, speaking on Lawrence O’Donnell’s show, says that prominent Republicans and Trump advisers told him, “This president is erratic, he… stays up late at night calling people.  People who have spoken to him on the phone say he repeats himself over and over again, he rambles in conversations.”  Video: http://www.msnbc.com/the-last-word/watch/steve-bannon-warned-president-trump-about-the-25th-amendment-1070986819553

“I HATE EVERYONE IN THE WHITE HOUSE!”: TRUMP SEETHES AS ADVISERS FEAR THE PRESIDENT IS “UNRAVELING”
"In recent days, I’ve spoken with a half dozen prominent Republicans and Trump advisers, and they all describe a White House in crisis as advisers struggle to contain a president who seems to be increasingly unfocused and consumed by dark moods."
The article:  https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/10/donald-trump-is-unraveling-white-house-advisers

At a recent press event to celebrate the signing of yet another Executive Order designed to destroy Obamacare, DT forgot to sign it.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/trump-briefly-forgets-sign-executive-order-hurt-obamacare-article-1.3558499

You’ll recall he had the same mishap last March.
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/326796-trump-appears-to-forget-to-sign-executive-orders
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: October 15, 2017, 02:46:52 AM »
Per the linked article Bannon has stated that he and his conservative populists, have control over conservative billionaire campaign donations:

Title: "Steve Bannon Declares ‘Season of War’ Against GOP Establishment"

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/steve-bannon-declares-season-war-against-gop-establishment-n810731

Extract: "Nobody can run and hide on this one. These folks are coming for you," Bannon told the crowd, referring to populist insurgents who could challenge GOP incumbents in the 2018 midterm elections.

The stark comments represent the latest escalation in the intra-party spat between Trump and GOP veterans on Capitol Hill.

Bannon taunted McConnell, comparing him to Julius Caesar "before the Ides of March" — the date Caesar was assassinated.

"The donors are not happy. They've all left you," Bannon said to the cameras, as if speaking directly to the Kentucky lawmaker. "We've cut your oxygen off.""
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 02:53:35 AM by AbruptSLR »
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #2963 on: October 15, 2017, 07:29:04 AM »
From Logicman Patrick in response #2956: .....

Donnie is at the helm of the cruise ship Planet Earth.  It is a duty of all people, not just the crew, to put the captain in a strait-jacket.
[/quote]

Reminds me of Bogart in the "Caine Mutiny". Captain Queeg: Ahh, but the strawberries that's... that's where I had them. They laughed at me and made jokes but I proved beyond the shadow of a doubt and with... geometric logic... that a duplicate key to the wardroom icebox DID exist, and I'd have produced that key if they hadn't of pulled the Caine out of action. I, I, I know now they were only trying to protect some fellow officers... 

When you see Moron Don with ball bearings in his hand, you'll know the end is near!

BudM

logicmanPatrick

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • The Chatter Box
« Reply #2964 on: October 15, 2017, 11:55:15 AM »
From Logicman Patrick in response #2956: .....

Reminds me of Bogart in the "Caine Mutiny". Captain Queeg: Ahh, but the strawberries that's... that's where I had them. They laughed at me and made jokes but I proved beyond the shadow of a doubt and with... geometric logic... that a duplicate key to the wardroom icebox DID exist, and I'd have produced that key if they hadn't of pulled the Caine out of action. I, I, I know now they were only trying to protect some fellow officers... 

When you see Moron Don with ball bearings in his hand, you'll know the end is near!

BudM
[/quote]

Love that movie.  Captain yellowstain.  But when Donnie is seen with his balls in his hand, will only Larry Flynn dare to publish the photos?

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: October 15, 2017, 07:21:16 PM »
The two holy grail's of the Republicans are (1) assuring that the Supreme Court is to their advantage, and (2) getting rid of the estate tax.

They already have the first one...and now they will try to kill the estate tax.  If they get rid of the estate tax...they will be happy campers.  Donnie was already out last week lying to truckers of all people.  The estate tax only applies to estates over $11 million...so there are exactly ZERO middle class people affected by the estate tax. 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 12:48:55 AM by Buddy »

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: October 16, 2017, 12:06:26 AM »
Per the linked article Bannon has stated that he and his conservative populists, have control over conservative billionaire campaign donations:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/steve-bannon-declares-season-war-against-gop-establishment-n810731

Per linked article at least the Mercers (both father & daughter) are financing Bannon's 'conservative populist' run to gain Congressional seats during the 2018 mid-term elections so that he can unseat Mitch McConnell:

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/steve-bannons-war-plans-2018-come-focus

Extract: "As Bloomberg Politics reported the other day, Donald Trump’s former chief strategist is ready to lead the charge.

Steve Bannon plans to back primary challengers to almost every Republican senator who runs for re-election next year in an effort to depose Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and streamline Senate voting procedures, three people familiar with his plans said. […]

Bannon plans to support as many as 15 Republican Senate candidates in 2018, including several challengers to incumbents, the people said. He’ll support only candidates who agree to two conditions: They will vote against McConnell as majority leader, and they will vote to end senators’ ability to block legislation by filibustering.

“We’re going to go after them. There’s a coalition coming together that’s going to challenge every Republican incumbent except for Ted Cruz,” Bannon told Fox News last night night. “We are declaring war on the Republican establishment that does not back the agenda that Donald Trump ran on. We’re going after these guys tooth and nail.”

That, of course, will require considerable resources, and Bloomberg Politics’ report added that Bannon is in the process of holding “a series of meetings with donors, potential candidates and grassroots strategists.” Not surprisingly, hedge-fund billionaire Robert Mercer, a Bannon benefactor, is reportedly involved in the endeavor."
― Leon C. Megginson

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: October 16, 2017, 12:28:32 AM »

Per linked article at least the Mercers (both father & daughter) are financing Bannon's 'conservative populist' run to gain Congressional seats during the 2018 mid-term elections so that he can unseat Mitch McConnell:

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/steve-bannons-war-plans-2018-come-focus

Extract: "As Bloomberg Politics reported the other day, Donald Trump’s former chief strategist is ready to lead the charge.

Steve Bannon plans to back primary challengers to almost every Republican senator who runs for re-election next year in an effort to depose Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and streamline Senate voting procedures, three people familiar with his plans said. […]

Bannon plans to support as many as 15 Republican Senate candidates in 2018, including several challengers to incumbents, the people said. He’ll support only candidates who agree to two conditions: They will vote against McConnell as majority leader, and they will vote to end senators’ ability to block legislation by filibustering.

“We’re going to go after them. There’s a coalition coming together that’s going to challenge every Republican incumbent except for Ted Cruz,” Bannon told Fox News last night night. “We are declaring war on the Republican establishment that does not back the agenda that Donald Trump ran on. We’re going after these guys tooth and nail.”

That, of course, will require considerable resources, and Bloomberg Politics’ report added that Bannon is in the process of holding “a series of meetings with donors, potential candidates and grassroots strategists.” Not surprisingly, hedge-fund billionaire Robert Mercer, a Bannon benefactor, is reportedly involved in the endeavor."

Internecine warfare among the Republicans is good news indeed!
Terry

Martin Gisser

« Reply #2968 on: October 16, 2017, 01:13:44 AM »
But when Donnie is seen with his balls in his hand, will only Larry Flynn dare to publish the photos?
You mean Larry Flynt?  ;D

https://twitter.com/ImLarryFlynt/status/919601535650226176

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/10/14/have-dirt-that-could-impeach-trump-larry-flynt-will-pay-you-10-million/
Larry Flynt’s ad in the Sunday edition of The Washington Post is hard to miss.

For one, it takes up a full page. And there are no pictures — just bold, all-caps text dominating the top third of the page:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/files/2017/10/LarryFlyntAd.pdf
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 01:19:00 AM by Martin Gisser »

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: October 16, 2017, 02:57:29 AM »
Remember Moron Dons talk about the opioid crisis?  Well....I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you.  Donnie has nominated Tom Marino....a member of the US House of Reps from Pennsylvania...as the next "Drug Czar" for the US.

60 Minutes had a nice piece on the opioid crisis...... I REALLY encourage you to watch it.  The whole hour was GREAT.  I really enjoy watching programs that (1) teach me stuff I didn't know, and (2) do a good job ferreting out FACTS.  The only frustrating thing...is the more I learn, the more I realize there is so much I don't know.😟

Tom Morino and Marsha Blackburn (horrible Fake Christian senator from Tennessee...she lies about global warming too)....  Anyway...they sponsored a bill that was ultimately passed...that makes it MUCH harder to hold drug companies and distributors of drugs accountable.

Apparently Tom Morino and Marsha Blackburn really don't give a shit about the lives of people in their district/state.  Apparently Marsha is just fine with the opioid crisis in Tennessee...and Tom is fine with people dying of opioid overdoses.

These are the types of folks that Donnie loves...and they do really bad things for the country.  These are the folks that need to be kicked out of office.

Martin Gisser

« Reply #2970 on: October 16, 2017, 04:37:14 AM »
Apparently Tom Morino and Marsha Blackburn really don't give a shit about the lives of people in their district/state.  Apparently Marsha is just fine with the opioid crisis in Tennessee...and Tom is fine with people dying of opioid overdoses.
Corporate Republicans. Deregulation is their business. And their voters die for it:
Its toll in one demographic — mostly white, working-class, and rural — vastly outweighs its impact among urbanites.
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/03/the-opioid-epidemic-is-this-generations-aids-crisis.html

Their voters also voted to die or get sick from many other things, e.g. bad healthcare, firestorms, floods, chronic mercury poisoning, fracking pollution, ... Let the stupid die. It's good for America. Sorry for being Darwinian.

Here's the ad free program (just 30 minutes) https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ex-dea-agent-opioid-crisis-fueled-by-drug-industry-and-congress/
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 04:42:57 AM by Martin Gisser »

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: October 16, 2017, 05:07:37 AM »
Corporate Republicans, Deregulation is their business, and their voters die for it:

What a wonderful line - someone should campaign under that banner!

Terry

Martin Gisser

« Reply #2972 on: October 16, 2017, 05:41:29 AM »
Corporate Republicans, Deregulation is their business, and their voters die for it:

What a wonderful line - someone should campaign under that banner!
wrrrr... I'm almost ashamed for my sarcasm. But then: Trump nominated Marino to serve as the Director of the Office of National Drug Control Policy. Drain the swamp!

And then there's this EPA guy, plus Betsy DeVos, etc. yuck... plus VP Pence and his personal little AIDS epidemic: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/08/us/politics/mike-pence-needle-exchanges-indiana.html

Alas, this same demographic also has a 3rd world teenage pregnancy rate, so social Darwinism won't help. :(
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 05:47:07 AM by Martin Gisser »

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #2973 on: October 16, 2017, 10:43:53 AM »
Their voters also voted to die or get sick from many other things, e.g. bad healthcare, firestorms, floods, chronic mercury poisoning, fracking pollution, ... Let the stupid die. It's good for America. Sorry for being Darwinian.

This will probably please you (Flynt again).
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: October 16, 2017, 01:12:26 PM »
Opioid Marsha....and Opioid Tom should be voted out of office just on the opioid bill alone.  Blackburn, Marino, Trump, and the drug companies are all in the same boat ⛵️ and they are building up the swamp.

Trumps policies are continuing to EXPAND THE SWAMP.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2975 on: October 16, 2017, 10:36:07 PM »
Moron Don has reached another low.  Not in the polls....but in his lack of civility and his willingness to OUTRIGHT LIE about Bush and Obama not talking to the families of fallen soldiers.

This one is going to sting.....on several levels.  First...it is beyond the pale, and such an outright LIE.  Second, John Kelly will NOT appreciate Donnie lying about this.  John Kelly had a son who was killed in Afghanistan.  Three....this is the type of thing that is SO obvious...it is going to hurt Donnie's poll numbers further.

This lie is going to sting Donnie.... What an absolute shithead.  Pathetic human being.

Like I said a few months ago....when you want someone to hang themselves politically, give them more rope.  Let Donnie do all the press conferences he can. 

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: October 17, 2017, 12:08:06 AM »
....this is the type of thing that is SO obvious...it is going to hurt Donnie's poll numbers further.

Donnie's poll numbers will only drop when his base gets unnerved (see the attached Fivethirtyeight poll numbers for Donnie issued today):

Edit, the image came from the linked website:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/?ex_cid=rrpromo
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: October 17, 2017, 04:24:41 AM »
I saw the 538 numbers earlier.  And I expect them to continue to worsen as well (As you know...Gallup is just 1 of the polls rolled into 538).  Trumps 538 numbers are just off their lows.

And when I say poll numbers are going to be continuing down...I don't mean "falling off a cliff."  I mean that this is one more major and obvious lie that push moderates slowly away from Trump.  He will continue to lie....and continue to slowly erode his "soft" supporters.

Trump has 25 - 28ish percent that will NEVER leave.  But there are "softer" Trump voters that will slowly be pulled away.  Much like Tricky Dick in 1973/1974.

I believe that Trump will be in the mid-to-high 20's by August.  Just like Nixon in '74.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: October 17, 2017, 02:07:22 PM »
Opioid Marsha (Blackburn) and Opioid Tom (Marino) are now both taking heat for the bill that they co sponsored....and worked with the drug companies to pass.  Depending on who the Dems have to run against Marino....this issue will weigh on Marinos chances.

I think I mistakenly gave Marsha a "promotion".....calling her a senator from a Tennessee.  She is from Tennessee....but she is in the US House of Represenntatives.

She is RUNNING for senate in 2018 to fill Bob Corkers seat.  James Macklin is the potential Democrat that may be running against her.  Macklin....an attorney and Iraq veteran, wasted no time in attacking Blackburn on Sunday night.  Blackburn wasted little time in trying to run AWAY from the bill she co-sponsored....saying it had "unintended consequences".  Unfortunately for Opioiod Marsha.....the DOJ had already told Congress BEFORE the bill was passed.....that those consequences would indeed happen.

This issue will NOT help the Republicans.😳
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 04:01:57 PM by Buddy »

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: October 17, 2017, 03:33:17 PM »
As much of the criticism of Trump gets twisted-up in misunderstanding of his particular brand of rightwing populism combined with authoritarianism and nationalism (where he campaigns on populism and then delivers authoritarianism and isolationistic nationalism), I provide the linked article:

Title: "We Are Thinking About Populism Wrong"

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/populism-wrong-cost_us_58cfeb03e4b0be71dcf63e6c

Extract: "... populism is best defined as the following:

An ideology that considers society to be ultimately separated into two homogeneous and antagonistic groups ― “the pure people” and “the corrupt elite” ― and argues that politics should be an expression of the volonté générale or general will of the people.

In short, it is time to put the populism frame back in its correct place. Yes, populism is an important feature of contemporary politics, but not all anti-establishment politics is populism and populist parties are not just about populism. In fact, to accurately understand politicians like Trump and Wilders, and the challenge they pose to liberal democracy, authoritarianism and nativism are at least as important as populism, if not more. Moreover, while established politicians mainly adopt populism in their campaign rhetoric, authoritarianism and nativism are actually implemented in their policies, as we can see in recent responses to the refugee crisis and terrorism, from the EU-Turkey deal to the state of emergency in France."
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2980 on: October 17, 2017, 05:19:28 PM »
You see what happens when an inept egomaniac has too much rope?  He hangs himself.  Trumps lie about how prior presidents dealt with those that were killed in action....is now hanging him.  Babbles Huckabee should have an interesting time soon.....

Give Donnie air time....and he hangs himself.  Look for Donnie's folks to try and put Moron Don back in his playroom with his TV's.  As bad as his tweets are.....they pale in comparison to the trouble Donnie gets into when he takes unscripted questions from the press.

This is just another example of bad decisions and bad execution by Donnie.  Will it get worse?  Yes....undoubtedly.  The house of cards will continue to crumble....day-by-day.....and week-by-week.  And the continual flow of lies will continue from Donnie.  He will continue to dig himself into holes....and make them worse by lying.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: October 18, 2017, 06:15:19 PM »
Well....that didn't take long did it?  What happens this morning...Donnie lies about his conversation with the servicemans widow yesterday...and then he gets called out by both the US Representative in the car....AND...the widow.

He is a SOCIOPATH....he can't help his lying...it is who he is.  And his bullying worked when he was running his own company AND could get cash flow from the Russian Laundrymat run by short little Vladi.

Tick.....tick.....tick..... Moron Don. 

ritter

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
« Reply #2982 on: October 18, 2017, 08:27:53 PM »
Yeah, this latest one is pretty goddamned disgusting.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: October 18, 2017, 09:08:11 PM »
Disgusting indeed.  He has NO MORALS.  NONE.  He has the capacity to do anything that promotes himself.

AND .....the people that work for him are PATHALOGIGAL LIARS.  If Sarah Huckabee was in my family...I would NEVER speak to her again.

FOX News.....the biggest enabler of all.

By the way:  From now on....anyone who talks to Donnie needs to record it.  Legal or not (it would depend on state).
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 02:38:55 AM by Buddy »

Pmt111500

« Reply #2984 on: October 19, 2017, 05:26:22 AM »
For the fascistic, or lordly pricks the peasantry has always been cannon fodder, i guess this ages old saying isn't too commonly known in the US. Most European leftists know at least some of history outside the official (winners') textbooks.
I'd suggest you impeach this Drumpf fellah, give him the title of count of Queens, N.Y. let him run naked through his lands (re-enactment of the Game of Thrones episode http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Walk_of_atonement), and then immediately discontinue all US nobility. My guess is this bro' Don could approve. He most likely carries a part of the set of genes of self-aggrandissement and no-back-down necessary for noble assholes feeding their troops at the cleverer strategist Napoleon.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 06:18:28 AM by Pmt111500 »

Susan Anderson

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 279
« Reply #2985 on: October 19, 2017, 05:52:56 PM »
Here's the problem with impeaching Trump. Pence is in many ways worse. After that you get Ryan. The whole succession runs through the cabinet. How about Tillerson. (for the full list, which I don't recommend, check Wikipedia).

I'm trying to avoid engaging with the animus against moderates and pragmatists, having said my say, except to mention that I am one; my switch from Bernie to Clinton was based on the record; I was a Bernie fan long before most people heard of him. Most real public servants have to put up with opposition, compromise, and being blamed for the result. Only the unengaged can indulge in absolutes.

In the course of a life lived in the public eye, people accumulate and change, and the inventory can be distorted. The demonization and dissection of Obama and both Clintons ignores a whole lot of mitigating information, especially organized and unified Republican opposition. I never particularly cared for Clinton, but I did know what she stood for; the the careful editing out of her positives is very one-sided. (Women are stuck with judgements about hair and makeup that would never fly with men, too.) I do think people should save their blame for real villains. I agree the system needs a complete overhaul, but the all-or-nothing attacks have left us in much worse shape. I like both my Senators (Markey and Warren) who are solid gold, but Warren is a better practical fighter, willing to subdue herself to her ends. A lot of people don't like calculation, but there is no politician who survives who doesn't calculate. Bernie did that with guns, and it's not pretty but I accept that coming from Vermont he had to do that to get elected. People don't like nuance and compromise, but it's the stuff of life. BTW, I love Michael Moore.

Today I got into an argument about climate; an otherwise reasonable if slightly right-leaning colleague said he wanted definite attribution of weather before he'd fully believe the facts about climate change. Most people are like that. They can't deal with uncertainty. That's the kind of thing I'm talking about.

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #2986 on: October 19, 2017, 06:16:13 PM »
Here's the problem with impeaching Trump. Pence is in many ways worse. After that you get Ryan. The whole succession runs through the cabinet. How about Tillerson. (for the full list, which I don't recommend, check Wikipedia).

As I see it, Trump with a Republican-majority congress is far more dangerous than Pence with at least one house in Democratic control.  That's the near-term end game with the drive to impeach.

Actual impeachment of Trump is currently impossible, and will remain so until a substantial number of Republican Senators are on board.  Only a majority of the House is needed to impeach, but 2/3 of the Senate must vote to remove.

By the time 2/3 of the Senate is sufficiently fed-up/outraged/terrified enough to vote to remove, Trump will resign.  What happens between now and that critical point is what's important.

Voters need to demand accountability, transparency, and vigorous investigation by Congress.  Then they need to vote in the mid-terms.  Either chamber going D means the investigating committees become assertive.  Either chamber going D means odious legislative initiatives will be dead. 

If Pence is President in this scenario, he won't be doing as much damage as Trump currently can do, and he'd surely be doing less damage.    Note that Pence at least moved to expand Medicaid in Indiana under the ACA.  He may be a religious conservative, but he's not a completely heartless religious conservative.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: October 19, 2017, 06:19:31 PM »
You won't have to worry about Pence as long as Donnie is out.  Pence will be right behind him.

Pmt111500

« Reply #2988 on: October 19, 2017, 06:20:09 PM »
Thanks <Susan Anderson> for filling me in what an utter nest of rats the republican succession to the throne is. Kingly decrees (aka. executive orders against democracy will fly from the throne room indefinitely until one of your three legislative organizations is safe from these. Add to that the supreme court will do it's most to drive in opposition to any sensible policies. I'd say your country could use an age limit to some of your offices. Let's say 70. The boy Drumpf could do it in a slight of hand, but he can't as some think he's 72 and not 12 like he truly is.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: October 19, 2017, 07:33:14 PM »
Susan

I'm in total agreement re Trump vs Pence. Trump is so tied up by his narcissism issues that he isn't an effective politician at any level. Pence is far more pragmatic & therefor a far greater threat to everything most of us hold dear about America. If Trump is ever impeached it will be when the Republicans turn on him, and Pence, as the leader of that faction will be perceived as the heroic figure who saved the world from Trump.

In 2018, barring impeachment, the Democrats should pick up lots of seats, and we need those seats desperately. If the Republicans are seen as having removed the Trumpian stain from their brand they might even add to their seat count in this off year election. At the state level this, with the census year following, will allow gerrymandering that will assure Republican domination of all levels of government until my grandchildren are old.

If Trump is impeached, or run out of office after 2018, Pence will be the hero incumbent. Democrats will run a sacrificial candidate while hoping to regain the House. Pence will probably have long coattails and we'll end up again without the Presidency, the Senate, the House or the Supreme Court. What a future.

Holding the Republicans back from impeaching Trump would seem a reasonable goal under these circumstances. Acting as cheerleaders and encouraging them to do something that can only increase their popularity among the Trump hating majority is damn near suicidal to our cause.

Terry

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: October 19, 2017, 07:42:36 PM »
Looks like Donnie's statement that he had contacted "virtually all" of the families that have lost a family member in the armed services since he has been in office is a lie.  I know...shocking that Donnie would lie.😳

AP found 9 of 18 families that would respond....said they did not here from Donnie.  I know....Shocking...😱  Who would have guessed that he was lying?

Susan Anderson

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: October 19, 2017, 08:54:55 PM »
Actually, some of you underestimate Trump and Trumpians. If his position is threatened, I'd say it is not unlikely that he would (a) use nukes on North Korea and/or (b) recommend his rabid followers apply "second amendment solutions". I'm here in the US, and threats of armed insurrection are quite common even on civil comment boards. They're armed to the teeth, and every incident causes a rush to buy more. We are also, even in civil Boston, which is strongly liberal, subject to racial violence which extends to bullying kids, a lot of road rage shootings and things like that. Trump has called out to the worst of which humanity is capable, and plenty are standing up and saluting, which others all too ready to look the other way.

Also, let's not whitewash the racism. The aforementioned armed bunch are doing everything in their power to kill and jail and deport people of other races, with the not-so-invisible compliance of police and immigration forces, and the courts and local authorities they have populated in red areas. Black lives matter is not loved by a majority, but their point is entirely valid. Police forces are being trained for war, not civil policing (my New Yorker documented this). And they've been given surplus armor, tanks, etc. from Homeland Security's bountiful supply.

There is currently a measure in Congress to approve general access to armor piercing bullets, and the cheap up-arming piece is likely to be regulated but not banned.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 09:03:12 PM by Susan Anderson »

Susan Anderson

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: October 19, 2017, 09:08:02 PM »
On age and term limits, bear in mind that some of the most stalwart and useful people around (Supreme Court Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Congress John McCain and many good Dems) are over age 70. Many of the extremist racist teapartiers are quite young.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: October 19, 2017, 10:33:30 PM »
On age and term limits, bear in mind that some of the most stalwart and useful people around (Supreme Court Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Congress John McCain and many good Dems) are over age 70. Many of the extremist racist teapartiers are quite young.
Ramen!
Wasn't "term limits" promoted by Gingrich's "Contract on America"?

Your prior post on racism is well taken. Trump's resurrection of Sheriff Joe sent a chilling message to anyone with a dark complexion. We can't let the progress made in the 60's fall away so effortlessly. People of all races died to curtail American apartheid.

The militarization of America's cops has been going on for some time. The first Hummer I saw was driven by a Death Valley Park Guard back when we were still debating Saddam's WMD,s, and the LVMPD considered borrowing a tank from Nellis AFB when Malcolm X was about to hit the screens.

Driving while black is not a capitol crime.
Terry (an old white guy born in 1946)

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: October 19, 2017, 10:37:59 PM »
Think about THIS next time you think about wealth disparity in the US:

The exclusion amount for the inheritance tax is adjusted HIGHER each year by the cost of living increase......but the minimum wage is NOT adjusted.  Think that is "fair"?  Think that adds to MORE income and wealth disparity?  It does.

Getting rid of the inheritance tax is a gift to the .2 of 1% of the wealthiest people in the US....

99.8% of estates DO NOT PAY ESTATE TAX.

Pmt111500

« Reply #2995 on: October 20, 2017, 07:02:57 AM »
Judging by the comments elsewhere, the voter suppression in former USA is expected to increase.

Susan Anderson

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: October 20, 2017, 06:10:15 PM »
@Buddy
Yes, the income disparity is now worse than it was in the 1920s, and increasing. Please don't think any Democrats are for the earlier cut in the inheritance tax. We think there should be a progressive income tax (Eisenhower level was 91% for the top level, and the economy did very well with the top earners not taking value out of the system). It now exempts any inheritance below $5 million, and they are planning to get rid of that. Obama had a filibuster-proof majority for almost 5 months in 2009 (between seating Franken (lawsuit delay) and Kennedy's illness and death) and even then Obamacare is weak compared to what Democrats wanted, due to continuous manipulation and obstruction. That's what I mean about blaming victims for what Republican perps did.

@pmt
Yes, the voter suppression is fierce and getting much much worse. It's those local authorities again and Kobach is a monstrous tool of the Koch efforts (as is Pence). I read a documented article yesterday that 45,000 Democrats in Wisconsin were unable to vote last year (Hillary lost by 22,000 in that state) and that is probably low for the statewide figure.

[Please feel free to call me susan, hope we're friends (of sorts) here; it's my real name. I am trying to cut back on internet addiction so don't promise to respond quickly ... just sayin', nothing personal if people don't hear back quickly.]

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: October 20, 2017, 07:57:30 PM »
@Buddy
Yes, the income disparity is now worse than it was in the 1920s, and increasing. Please don't think any Democrats are for the earlier cut in the inheritance tax. We think there should be a progressive income tax (Eisenhower level was 91% for the top level, and the economy did very well with the top earners not taking value out of the system). It now exempts any inheritance below $5 million, and they are planning to get rid of that. Obama had a filibuster-proof majority for almost 5 months in 2009 (between seating Franken (lawsuit delay) and Kennedy's illness and death) and even then Obamacare is weak compared to what Democrats wanted, due to continuous manipulation and obstruction. That's what I mean about blaming victims for what Republican perps did.
Susan
I think the bolded is why some of us have come to doubt the sincerity of some of the Democrats. It's not as though we don't recognize that the Republicans are much worse, it's that we really don't need representatives that don't represent our wants/needs.

Feinstein was a personal hero, at one time, and I/we (can't be too careful when it comes to foreign contributions), was donating to Reid before he made it to the Senate. I still think he'd have made a great mayor.

The problem as I see it is that when a politician accepts a large donation, he or she is obligated to the donor. If the donor's livelihood depends on him being allowed to do something that most of the politician's base is against, our hapless politician can't campaign against that thing or he/she will lose the donation.
On the other hand, if our now muted politician does not campaign on issues important to the base, he/she looses support, and may not be elected.
Welcome to Trump's America.

Terry, (also what my parents called me.) :)

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: October 20, 2017, 08:00:33 PM »
Couple things:

1). Donnie's Gallup approval/disapproval hanging NEAR record territory:  now 35/60.  Donnie's record is 34/61.  I have faith in Donnie.....new record abysmal records are coming.😳

2).  There are things that need to be corroborated.....but Niger fiasco is starting to look like it might be this:

a). Donnie puts Chad on list of countries that Donnie doesn't want immigrants from
b). Country of Chad says "fine....we're pulling our troops out of Niger."
c). Donnie signs off on US special ops operation in Niger.
d). Operation in Niger goes badly....and we lose 4 soldiers.
e). Donnie golfs 5 times....and during most of those rounds he already had a statement that was drafted for him about the fallen soldiers...but he didn't release it.
g). Press doesn't give up on the issue....and forces Donnie to deal with the issue in a fiasco of a rose garden press conference.
h). Donnie is outed as to what he says....and is climbed on from many fronts.
I). Kelly tries to clean things up....and either lies for Donnie about the Congressman, or was given bad information re Congressman and the FBI Building naming ceremony.  Tape of that ceremony proves Congresswoman was telling the truth....and Kelly now has egg 🍳 on his face.
J). NOW.....everyone, including Donnie's favorite "pal" John McCain wants to know what really went on in Niger.

The more rope Donnie is given.....the tighter the noose becomes.😳

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: October 20, 2017, 08:23:02 PM »
This is what happens when you have a LYING POS in the Oval Office.  You have to record EVERYTHING he says....because he will lie about it.

Someone is going to catch him in a lie.....that is recorded.  It's bound to happen in coming months.  He's almost asking for it to happen.

Press corps needs to "strap on a pair".✌️