Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Trump  (Read 1473678 times)

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: The Trump Presidency (was "Presidential Poll")
« Reply #3050 on: October 27, 2017, 01:41:15 AM »
We need more transparency, not less. Don't worry too much, I think the transparency will turn around and gnaw on him where it hurts.  8)
Terry

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3051 on: October 27, 2017, 02:09:34 AM »
Trump really playing hardball here on the Uranium One case. Apparently the confidential informant can only disclose to chair and ranking members + one staff each of House intelligence, judiciary, and oversight committees, not the whole committee, yet. But still, almost guaranteed to leak. Some detail at:

http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/355749-fbi-uncovered-russian-bribery-plot-before-obama-administration

but they have not yet updated to include lift of gag order.

sidd

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
« Reply #3052 on: October 27, 2017, 03:26:55 AM »
We need more transparency, not less. Don't worry too much, I think the transparency will turn around and gnaw on him where it hurts.  8)
Terry

Maybe Mueller will shine a light on Trump.  Here are two reports of one expert opinion that Mueller will drop a hammer on Trump before Thanksgiving:

Title: "Juliette Kayyem: 'It Is Safe To Say That Before Thanksgiving ... Something Is Going To Drop With Mueller.'"

http://news.wgbh.org/2017/10/25/local-news/juliette-kayyem-it-safe-say-thanksgiving-something-going-drop-mueller

Extract: "Kayyem speculated that the pace of stories critical of Hillary Clinton represents “a recognition by the White House team” that Mueller is getting close to something substantive as a result of his investigation.

Kayyem pointed out that Mueller has interviewed former Press Secretary Sean Spicer and former Chief of Staff Reince Priebus.

“This is so close to the Oval Office now, if not in the Oval Office, that all of this [dossier news] to me is just background noise to what Mueller is going to deliver,” she said. “This is more than an obstruction charge. There is something big underlying the obstruction.”"

&

Title: "National Security Expert: Mueller Will Deliver On Trump-Russia Investigation Before Thanksgiving"

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/10/national-security-expert-mueller-will-deliver-on-t.html

Extract: "Juliette Kayyem was the Assistant Secretary for Intergovernmental Affairs in the Department of Homeland Security. She is currently a national security analyst for CNN, the Belfer Lecturer in International Security at the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard, a member of Secretary Jeh Johnson’s Homeland Security Advisory Council, and a member of the Council on Foreign Relations and the Pacific Council on International Policy.

In short: she knows her stuff and isn’t one to give in to hyperbole. Keep in mind that her explosive quotes are not based on insider knowledge of the investigation into Russia’s interference, but nonetheless, they are still informed positions based on her familiarity with national security matters.

Kayyem told Boston Public Radio that “I think it is safe to say that before Thanksgiving … something’s going to drop with Mueller. The pace is too much right now. Every 12 hours we’re now dealing with a piece of this story at a pace we haven’t seen.”

She also said that “this is so close to the Oval Office now, if not in the Oval Office, that all of this [dossier news] to me is just background noise to what Mueller is going to deliver. This is more than an obstruction charge. There is something big underlying the obstruction.”"
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3053 on: October 27, 2017, 05:08:20 AM »
Senator Grassley wants a special prosecutor to go after Uranium One. I suspect this deal is in return  for Trump/Pruitt to roll back ethanol cuts. Another day in the sausage factory.

sidd

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #3054 on: October 27, 2017, 09:35:32 PM »
Moron Dons political life is tied to the polls.  If they go south...ala Tricky Dicky in 1974...he's in big trouble.  His poll numbers now aren't exactly something you would brag about.  OK...HE would brag about them.... but most people wouldn't.

In numbers reported today....FOX News ad revenue in September was down 17% over last year.  MSNBC was UP 2% and CNN was down just 1%.  THAT is a BIG difference.  For MSNBC...they had a good month considering there is no election this year.  I would have expected a drop...but FOX REALLY got creamed.

If people are looking for Donnie... they are looking at FOX.  And it certainly looks like LESS people now are looking to get a big helping of Moron Don.

Here in the states....it has been clear that BOTH the Republicans AND FOX News have been trying to prop up Donnie Boy.  It looks like....from those numbers, that they are NOT having a lot of success with that so far.

Poll numbers will be pivotal.  It wasnt until March of 1974 that conservative Republicans started to leave the fold of Nixon.  If Donnie's poll numbers start to track FOX News revenues down...that will not be good for Donnie.😳

FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3055 on: October 29, 2017, 09:27:08 PM »
I noted the Whitefish Energy contact fiasco in Puerto Rico the other day.  Every time I think about it...it makes less and less sense.

Someone was getting a "cut" from that contract to:
1). The entity in Puerto Rico that contracted with Whitefish
2)  Ryan Zinke....the Interior Secretay for Donnie
3). Donnie himself.  Yes... Donnie and his companies need money...and many things that Donnie has done...from his golfing...to his meeting people at his D.C. hotel...to the Kushners trying to get wealthy Chinese citezens tring to buy there way into the US via Kushners real estate deals....smacks of desperation.  Donnie's company's are overly leveraged with debt...as is Kushner.

If Donnie gets kicked out of office... his empire might be toast.   That is how "all in" Donnie is.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 11:42:14 PM by Buddy »

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3056 on: October 29, 2017, 10:03:47 PM »
Buddy
Apparently the Governor of Puerto Rico is shredding the Whitefish contract.
Nice to find good news from time to time.  ;)

Terry

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3057 on: October 29, 2017, 10:39:33 PM »
The GOP's tax plan is already meeting opposition:

Title: "Republicans, desperate for a win, already face setbacks as they prepare to unveil tax bill this week"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/republicans-desperate-for-a-win-already-face-setbacks-as-they-prepare-to-unveil-tax-bill-this-week/ar-AAuck8V?ocid=spartandhp

Extract: "The Republican effort to overhaul the tax code suffered a bruising setback over the weekend when a powerful corporate interest group came out against the proposal just days ahead of House leaders’ planned release of the legislation to the public.

President Trump and GOP leaders are casting the measure as a once-in-a-generation rewrite of the federal tax code, one they say will stimulate the economy, create millions of jobs and give voters a reason to stick with their party in next year’s midterm elections. Rep. Kevin Brady (R-Tex.), the chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, is scheduled to reveal the House version of the bill on Wednesday.

A discouraging clue emerged for House Republicans on Saturday, when the National Association of Home Builders came out against the bill after Brady informed the group’s chief executive about key details."
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3058 on: October 30, 2017, 03:05:22 PM »
As Trump's foreign policies stumble, Moscow is working to scup-up the pieces:

Title: "Russia Uses Its Oil Giant, Rosneft, as a Foreign Policy Tool"

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/29/business/energy-environment/russia-venezula-oil-rosneft.html?ref=todayspaper

Extract: "Moscow, through the state oil giant Rosneft, is trying to build influence in places where the United States has stumbled or power is up for grabs. Its efforts are also driven out of necessity, as American and European sanctions have forced Rosneft to find new partners and investments elsewhere."
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3059 on: October 30, 2017, 06:10:00 PM »
Donnie's Gallup poll now at new record lows:  33% approve...62% dissapprove.  Both records.

It will continue for Moron Don.  By next year...He may approach Tricky Dick's record of 24%.  That will be a tough level to get to...but I have confidence in the Moron.😳
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 06:32:47 PM by Buddy »

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3060 on: October 30, 2017, 08:43:39 PM »
Buddy

According to CBC "W" left Nixon in the dirt with a low of 20% in November of 2008, followed closely by Truman at 22%, and they both finished their terms, (in disgrace).

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bushs-final-approval-rating-22-percent/

Terry

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: November 01, 2017, 12:35:57 AM »
Wouldn't surprise me if Trump were conducting all meetings inside a sauna inside a shielded room. The Onion has a good zinger,  at least they left trump's clothes on.

https://politics.theonion.com/nude-aides-huddled-around-trump-assure-him-no-one-weari-1820015399

sidd

Martin Gisser

« Reply #3062 on: November 01, 2017, 03:01:28 AM »
Buddy

According to CBC "W" left Nixon in the dirt with a low of 20% in November of 2008, followed closely by Truman at 22%, and they both finished their terms, (in disgrace).

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bushs-final-approval-rating-22-percent/

Terry

... and a 33% approval of Trump (today!) is a disgrace,  not of Trump, but the U.S.A.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: November 01, 2017, 03:07:32 AM »
Never.....underestimate your opponent.  NEVER.  There is some chatter.....from Palmer and others.....that Trump is "inquiring" into resignation.

I don't buy it.  Prepare for the worst....and hope for the best.  The worst is Donnie is still in office.  So I'm assuming that until I see his signature on a resignation letter.  He's in bad financial shape if he doesn't make it through the four year term.

Looks like Clovis and/or Lewendowski may be next up to "bat" in the indictment lineup.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: November 01, 2017, 03:38:22 AM »
Martin.....you might also want to tell Terry a couple things:

Trump does indeed have a RECORD LOW approval record for the 9th month of his first term.  Why someone (Terry) would compare Trump's approval percentage in his 9th month in office (after being left with an economy that was humming along nicely).......with someone like Bush who was in his 96th month in office....and was at the depths of a recession.....is somewhat surprising to me. 

But Terry DOES highlight just how HORRIBLE Trump is doing in his ratings.  Think about this:

By the time Trump is out of office.....he may be the first president to be forced out of office when unemployment was below 5%.  That is how poorly he is doing in other areas.....AND how guilty people think he is in RussiaGate.

When Bush had his dismal readings.....he was in the last few months of his SECOND TERM.....and the economy was falling apart at the seams.

Just think:  It took George Bush almost 8 full years to get to his worst level......and it took Richard Nixon almost 6 years.  Donnie is at his dismal levels AFTER 9 MONTHS.

Way to go Donnie Boy.....  See you at 25 - 28 next year.  😂
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 11:14:14 AM by Buddy »

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: November 01, 2017, 03:56:30 AM »
Donnie's Gallup poll now at new record lows:  33% approve...62% dissapprove.  Both records.

It will continue for Moron Don.  By next year...He may approach Tricky Dick's record of 24%.  That will be a tough level to get to...but I have confidence in the Moron.😳

Buddy, it was your post I was replying to. Nixon set no record at a 24% approval rating, as I pointed out in my reply.

Terry

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: November 01, 2017, 11:47:03 AM »
Will be interesting to see how Moron and his administration will be effected by the next round of indictments.  Will that next round derail the Republican efforts to get rid of the estate tax?  Will they compromise on taxes....and not reduce taxes for the wealthy?

Sounds as though we may get some more indictments before Thanksgiving.  Gobble gobble gobble...🦃🦃🦃🦃

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #3067 on: November 01, 2017, 02:33:28 PM »
Never.....underestimate your opponent.  NEVER.  There is some chatter.....from Palmer and others.....that Trump is "inquiring" into resignation.

I don't buy it.  Prepare for the worst....and hope for the best.  The worst is Donnie is still in office.  So I'm assuming that until I see his signature on a resignation letter.  He's in bad financial shape if he doesn't make it through the four year term.
. . .

I think resignation is in his best private financial interest.  The longer he's subjected to intense scrutiny by being in the White House, the worse he looks.  And the worse the brand gets tarnished.

A plausible scenario is that he issues pardons for his family and close associates and Pence, then resigns the next week.  Pence steps into the role and pardons Trump.  All the investigations and prosecutions then stop.

The party-line story from that point forward would be that Trump was a bold and innovative President who was hounded out of office by partisan political forces, that he was innocent of any wrongdoing.  The fact that accepting a pardon implies guilt will be just an academic footnote.

The Republicans will still lose ground in the next two election cycles, but at least their leadership won't be in prison.  That would be even worse for the political brand.-

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: November 01, 2017, 02:50:52 PM »
I think the chances of the FBI investigation not being completed AFTER a Trump resignation would be the same chance that I have of getting a hole in one (20 yrs of golf...and it hasn't happened yet).

I do think there is a chance that he may resign eventually...but we're not close to that yet IMHO.

Further.....Donnie has NO BRAND if he is to get booted from office OR resign.  Again....without laundered money from Asia/Russia over the past 10 years...he would be bankrupt.  That faucet of money is now closed.

If he is removed from office early....or quits....his company will be bankrupt within 2 years.  By the way...I said the same thing just prior to the election...that if he wasn't elected...his company would be bankrupt within 2 years.

He needs this "gig" to work out.  The only way he quits is...like Nixon...he KNOWS he doesn't have enough votes in the senate (...2/3 of senate needed to remove him).

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: November 01, 2017, 03:31:32 PM »
The linked article by Elizabeth Warren points out the Neil Gorsuch's behavior has introduced ethics problems to the Supreme Court such as influence peddling for The Charles Koch Foundation and the Bradley Foundation.  McConnell and Trump (& affiliated GOP leaders) seem to be hell bent on dragging U.S. ethics into the gutter.

Title: "The Supreme Court Has An Ethics Problem"

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/11/01/supreme-court-ethics-problem-elizabeth-warren-opinion-215772

Extract: "Justices on the high court don’t have to follow the same code of conduct as they do in lower courts. That needs to change.

Here’s the rub. Justice Gorsuch’s speech at the Trump hotel was hosted by the Fund for American Studies. And who funds the Fund of American Studies? The Charles Koch Foundation and the Bradley Foundation. The Charles Koch Foundation is dedicated to promoting limited government, free markets and weaker unions; and the Bradley Foundation has worked for decades to, in their own words, “reduce the size and power of public sector unions.” In fact, the Bradley Foundation helped pay the litigation expenses for Janus—the case in which Justice Gorsuch is likely to be the deciding vote. Think about that: Just as the ink was drying on the court’s announcement that it would hear Janus, Justice Gorsuch was off to hobnob with some of the biggest supporters for one side of this important case—the side that wants to deny workers the freedom to build a future that doesn’t hang by a thread at the whim of a few billionaires.
The Code of Conduct for United States Judges requires judges to recuse themselves when certain potential conflicts arise, such as in cases in which the judge, the judge’s spouse or the judge’s minor children have a financial interest or in cases in which the judge has a “personal bias or prejudice” against or for any party in the case. But those rules don’t apply to Supreme Court justices.

In fact, Supreme Court justices are the only federal judges who are not bound by a formal code of conduct. The reason, as explained by Chief Justice Roberts, is that the Supreme Court is the only court created under Article III of the Constitution, while the lower courts are created by Congress. For Chief Justice Roberts, it’s sufficient that the justices consult the code when determining their ethical duties and voluntarily abide by rules on a case-by-case basis.

The chief justice’s argument is exactly backward. When an ethical cloud hangs over the court, its fundamental integrity is compromised. At a time when Gallup polls have found that fewer than half of Americans approve of the way the court is handling its job, the justices ought to be making every effort to show that their personal integrity is above reproach."
― Leon C. Megginson

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: November 01, 2017, 04:42:21 PM »
After the Supreme Court elected "W", by a 4/5 decision, without the Justices recently appointed by "W"'s father recusing themselves, no semblance of ethics can be found.
I've more respect for the rulings of the Nevada Boxing Commission.
Terry

Susan Anderson

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 279
« Reply #3071 on: November 01, 2017, 05:50:48 PM »
I'm haunted by the thought that Trump's itchy juvenile (though I insult juveniles) Twitter and trigger finger will be provoked before he leaves, out of spite/revenge. He's got all sole alone authority to launch nukes, and it would take a group of low-level heroes willing to die to stop it (they're all armed, so one disobeying orders would likely be shot). Is a nightmare shared a nightmare halved? Not hardly ...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 11:29:25 PM by Susan Anderson »

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: November 01, 2017, 06:27:00 PM »
I'm haunted by the thought that Trump's itchy juvenile (though I insult juveniles) Twitter and trigger finger will be provoked before he leaves, out of spite/revenge. He's got all sole alone authority to launch nukes, and it would take a group low-level heroes willing to die to stop it (they're all armed, so one disobeying orders would likely be shot). Is a nightmare shared a nightmare halved? Not hardly ...
He's not the first president whose trigger finger I've feared, but he is the current one. The idiot who consulted astrologists, and thought he'd lead troops in WWII was actually my biggest bug-a-boo. Nixon's last weeks in power also raised more than a few hackles.
Terry

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: November 01, 2017, 06:40:58 PM »
Susan....you are absolutely right.  What is sociopathic Donnie going to do when Jarred is indicted?  The thin skinned sociopath may snap.  And yes.....nuclear war is a much greater risk now....than at anytime since the end of the Korean War.

But....as the pro Putin appologists would note.....at least Hillary isn't president. 😳

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: November 02, 2017, 05:26:57 AM »

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3075 on: November 02, 2017, 08:50:40 AM »
Looks like Yellen's gone, Powell in for fed chair.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/30/jerome-powell-federal-reserve-chair-244316

sidd
I haven't checked in with Politico for a while. A number of good article shown at your link.
Thanks
Terry

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 120
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #3076 on: November 03, 2017, 02:51:15 AM »
Hidden in the disastrous Republican/Trump tax bill, there is a provision that allows churches to engage in political activity :

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2017/11/02/the-republicans-tax-bill-would-let-ministers-endorse-political-candidates

Looks like Citizens United was not enough, and we need more tax-exempt institutions to be able to literally preach to particular candidates.

I'm not an expert, but isn't the separation of Church and State somewhere in the constitution ?
This is our planet. This is our time.
Let's not waste either.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3077 on: November 03, 2017, 01:25:31 PM »
The initial tax bill.....TATET (Tax Act To Enrich Trump) is out...and it is a doosy:

1). Does away with the inheritance tax.  The inheritance tax only helps the TOP .2%.  So if your friends include the wealthiest of the wealthy....they have a nice xmas present.  HUGE.

2). Cuts the top corporate rate down to 20% ....without doing away with any significant loopholes.

3). Leaves the rate where it is (very low) for carried interest.  Carried interest is for people who are passive investors in a partnership/S Corp.  So their  income from those passive investments continues to be taxed at VERY LOW rates....much lower than earned income like middle America.

4). Does away with the Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT).  The AMT  caused some wealthy payers of tax...to pay tax, where they wouldn't under the normal rules.  In essence...it is a "parallel calculation"......and the filer has to pay at least the "alternative minimum tax."  Many real estate developers end up having to pay the AMT because of excessive depreciation deductions.

NOTE:  The 2005 tax return of Donald Trump showed he was subject to paying the AMT.  Under the proposed law....he wouldn't have paid that tax.

4). Allows churches to back political candidates without fear of losing their PHONY tax exempt status.

The WEALTHY stand to make a FORTUNE by the passage of this law.

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: November 04, 2017, 04:43:06 AM »
The initial tax bill.....TATET (Tax Act To Enrich Trump) is out...

I like that name ! So spot-on.

It sure beats 'The Cut Cut Cut Act' name that Trump proposed.
Let's not waste either.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: November 05, 2017, 02:33:21 PM »
Moron Don and Moron's son in law are good friends.  Guess whose noose is tightening around his neck in Israel?  Benjamin Netanyahu....the leader in Israel....has been under a cloud of suspicion for some time, and legal proceedings there are gaining steam.

As well.....there is a shakeup in Saudi Arabia where one of the wealthiest men on the planet and a Saudi prince is now under arrest with 16 other princes for corruption charges.

Kushner just returned from Saudi Arabia...hours before the arrests were made.

So how will this corruption shakeup affect Donnie and company going forward?  Any peace agreement in the Mideast with that turmoil....likely benches that issue.  Friends usually have the same approximate level of ethics.  It is not surprising that Donnie's friend Benji is in a lot of hot water in Israel.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 07:59:18 PM by Buddy »

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3080 on: November 05, 2017, 07:52:19 PM »
The linked article makes the case that the MSM needs to do a much better job of warning the public of the imminent danger represented by the Trump presidency:

Title: "Journalists also have a “duty to warn”: Are we starting to do our jobs?"

https://www.salon.com/2017/11/05/journalists-also-have-a-duty-to-warn-are-we-starting-to-do-our-jobs/

Extract: "In the much-discussed new book "The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump" (Salon review here), mental health professionals act on their “duty to warn” of the imminent danger the Trump presidency represents. As explained in its prologue, “Collectively with our coauthors, we warn that anyone as mentally unstable as Mr. Trump simply should not be entrusted with the life-and-death powers of the presidency.”

But what about journalists’ duty to warn? Press freedom’s stature, as enshrined in the First Amendment, is predicated on its importance in preserving all the other freedoms, in exposing and warning of violations and threats. As the contributors to "The Dangerous Case" make clear, Trump represents a threat unlike any America has ever seen in a sitting president, except perhaps for Richard Nixon in the last few weeks of his presidency. So journalists’ duty to warn should be clear. As Robert Jay Lifton reminds us in the "Dangerous Case" foreword, the larger framework of professional ethics that motivates mental health professionals to speak out also “applies to members of other professions who may have their own ‘duty to warn.’

Journalists have a similar responsibility, and bear even more of it, given how flawed journalistic practices helped create our nation's current dire predicament. By adopting a set of conventions that undermined their civic commitment and even usefulness, journalists themselves have helped pave the way for Trump’s emergence, so the admonition, “Reporter, heal thyself!” is clearly in order."
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: November 05, 2017, 09:52:30 PM »
The two things we know about the Texas mass shooting...from the warped Trumpian point of view:

1). If the shooter was white.....then now is not the time to talk about gun control of any kind.

2). If the shooter was Muslim or anyone of color....then something needs to be done NOW....just not anything that tightens up gun laws.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 02:32:05 AM by Buddy »

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: November 05, 2017, 11:12:36 PM »
Buddy
Why the sudden interest in gun laws?
How does this apply to the Trump Presidency?
Terry

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: November 06, 2017, 01:05:01 AM »
When you combine Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman's arrest of numerous other Saudi royal family members in a bid to tighten his grip on the Saudi government; with is likely involvement in the resignation of Lebanese Prime Minister Saad al-Hariri; it seem likely that Trump and Salman plan to squeeze Iran until a war breaks-out.  This would certainly seem like a convenient time for Trump to hold a meeting with Putin in order to coordinate with his fellow kleptocrat:

Title: "Lebanon Hariri resignation a plot to stoke tension, says Iran"

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-41874488

Extract: "Iran says the surprise resignation of Lebanese Prime Minister Saad al-Hariri is part of a plot to stoke tensions in the region.

An adviser to Iran's supreme leader accused the US and Saudi Arabia of being behind the move.

Mr Hariri, in a televised broadcast from Saudi Arabia, accused Iran of sowing "fear and destruction" in several countries, including Lebanon.

Following the statement on Saturday, Iranian politicians lined up to denounce Mr Hariri's assertions.

"Hariri's resignation was done with planning by [US President] Donald Trump and Mohammed bin Salman, the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia," said Hussein Sheikh al-Islam, adviser to Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Kahmenei."
― Leon C. Megginson

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: November 06, 2017, 03:51:03 AM »
Buddy
Why the sudden interest in gun laws?
How does this apply to the Trump Presidency?
Terry

Because Trump holds two different standards for who does the killing, is oh so quick to terminate an immigration policy and never wants to look at gun laws.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 04:01:52 AM by Rob Dekker »
Let's not waste either.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: November 06, 2017, 04:46:08 AM »
"When you combine Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman's arrest of numerous other Saudi royal family members in a bid to tighten his grip on the Saudi government; with is likely involvement in the resignation of Lebanese Prime Minister Saad al-Hariri; it seem likely that Trump and Salman plan to squeeze Iran until a war breaks-out."

Salman is rash, but i doubt he is stupid enuf to have told the Trump team anything of import. He knows they leak like a sieve. And he would be even stupider to trust them.

But who knows. Saudi rulers have been known to be stupid before.

sidd

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: November 06, 2017, 05:06:34 AM »
Hariri's sudden resignation, while "visiting" the KSA, followed so closely by Salman's purge of everyone above the level of dog catcher, indicates something going on that we're not privy to.

I attended a lecture a few years back where the Canadian ambassador assured his audience that Salman would be a great force for good in the region. He sounded very sincere, but that's the way ambassadors always sound.

I'd printed, then erased a number of speculations.
The Golan Heights could heat up, but again mere speculation.

The prospects for peace in the mid east may be an ephemeral mirage, even as the PetroDollar's basis in Saudi oil fades.
Terry

NevB

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 82
  • Likes Given: 571
« Reply #3087 on: November 06, 2017, 10:34:12 AM »
Saudi prince killed in helicopter crash near Yemen border

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-41881058

Does anyone think there is a connection to the current purge or simply a coincidence?

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: November 06, 2017, 02:08:44 PM »
When Moron Don said that "this is a mental health issue at the highest level"....he has NO IDEA just how accurate he is.  The mental health issue is in the Oval Office.

More blowback and lower poll ratings are ahead for Donnie.

Hillary  Clinton and even Bernie Sanders wanted tighter and reasonable gun laws.  Thank goodness that Hillary didn't win. 😳

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: November 06, 2017, 04:25:57 PM »
The blame for the number of gun deaths in the US lies squarely with three groups:

1). The NRA
2). Politicians funded by the NRA
3). FOX News for providing lies and innacurate, grossly incompetent reporting...and providing a PLATFORM/BULLHORN against gun law reform and registration in the US.

Let's be realistic here.  FOX News has blood on their grimy lying hands...plain and simple...and it is past the time they are called out on it.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #3090 on: November 06, 2017, 09:52:14 PM »
Trump reportedly told tribal leaders to ignore federal laws
The [Native American] chiefs explained to Trump that there were regulatory barriers preventing them from getting at their energy. Trump replied: “But now it’s me. The government’s different now. Obama’s gone; and we’re doing things differently here.”

As Axios described the scene, it was at this point in which the tribal leaders paused, looked at each other, and seemed uncertain about how to proceed.

Trump, however, was reportedly emphatic, telling one of the tribal leaders, “Chief, chief, what are they going to do? Once you get it out of the ground are they going to make you put it back in there? I mean, once it’s out of the ground it can’t go back in there. You’ve just got to do it. I’m telling you, chief, you’ve just got to do it.”

Just so we’re clear, “it” refers to breaking the law, and “they” refer to officials from Trump’s own administration who have a responsibility to act in accordance with the law. ...
http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/trump-reportedly-told-tribal-leaders-ignore-federal-laws

"The White House didn’t dispute the story."
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3091 on: November 06, 2017, 10:27:55 PM »
The [Native American] chiefs explained to Trump that there were regulatory barriers preventing them from getting at their energy. Trump replied: “But now it’s me. The government’s different now. Obama’s gone; and we’re doing things differently here.”

As Axios described the scene, it was at this point in which the tribal leaders paused, looked at each other, and seemed uncertain about how to proceed.

Trump, however, was reportedly emphatic, telling one of the tribal leaders, “Chief, chief, what are they going to do? Once you get it out of the ground are they going to make you put it back in there? I mean, once it’s out of the ground it can’t go back in there. You’ve just got to do it. I’m telling you, chief, you’ve just got to do it.”

Just so we’re clear, “it” refers to breaking the law, and “they” refer to officials from Trump’s own administration who have a responsibility to act in accordance with the law. ...
http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/trump-reportedly-told-tribal-leaders-ignore-federal-laws

Slow news cycle?
This story is from June. I thought that with the shootings in Texas and the KSA, Kate Upton getting married, or Jimmy Fallon taking the week off,  the news rooms would be cranking out new news full time.
Silly Me :(
Terry

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3092 on: November 07, 2017, 04:11:00 AM »
So.... Jared Kushner goes to Saudi Arabia...and the Saudi Arabia jails a gaggle of princes.

A few days BEFORE that...Donnie tweets Saudi Arabia that the US sure would like to have the secondary listing on the New York Stock Exchange (rather than London or Singapore or anywhere else).

Saudi Arabia has a LOT of oil in the ground.  They want to pump it out and sell it in coming years/decades.  Donnie and company are doing everything they can to support the oil and gas cmpanies...and slow down renewables.

How much is Saudi Arabia paying Donnie, Wilbur Ross, and others in the administration to support oil industry and slow down renewables?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 11:12:43 AM by Buddy »

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #3093 on: November 07, 2017, 04:31:07 PM »
<snip>

Slow news cycle?
This story is from June. I thought that with the shootings in Texas and the KSA, Kate Upton getting married, or Jimmy Fallon taking the week off,  the news rooms would be cranking out new news full time.
Silly Me :(
Terry

Happened in June.  Not reported until this week, from what I can see.  White House leakers on vacation, I guess.
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3094 on: November 08, 2017, 02:30:52 AM »
At least Democrat Ralph Northam won the race for Virginia's governor (even though Trump supported Ed Gillespie)
― Leon C. Megginson

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #3095 on: November 08, 2017, 02:32:47 AM »
At least Democrat Ralph Northam won the race for Virginia's governor (even though Trump supported Ed Gillespie)

Virginia is a complete blowout for Dems this evening.  Fantastic news and a repudiation of Trumpism.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3096 on: November 08, 2017, 03:28:12 AM »
Momentum can be one scary dude when he gets rolling.  Last week wasn't a good week for Moron Don....and this week isn't off to a great start for him either.  Republicans got their posterior handed to them in Virginia tonight....and it sounds as if more indictments are "on deck" in RussiaGate.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3097 on: November 08, 2017, 04:09:44 AM »
The Democrats now control both the legislative and executive branches of the New Jersey state government with the election of Philip D. Murphy as governor.
― Leon C. Megginson

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3098 on: November 08, 2017, 04:14:55 AM »
The poor and sick must be made to work. Work will make them healthier.

"CMS has long believed that meaningful work is essential to their economic self-sufficiency, self-esteem, wellbeing and improving their health. Why would we not believe that the same is true for working age, able-bodied Medicaid enrollees?"

https://www.cms.gov/Newsroom/MediaReleaseDatabase/Fact-sheets/2017-Fact-Sheet-items/2017-11-07.html

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/359132-trump-administration-to-allow-states-to-impose-work-requirements-on

I am not a betting man, but I might bet that Seema Verma is not on Medicaid.

sidd

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #3099 on: November 08, 2017, 06:52:59 AM »
The Democrats now control both the legislative and executive branches of the New Jersey state government with the election of Philip D. Murphy as governor.

Dems also had their biggest flip in the VA state house 1899.  And a Dem won a WA senate seat giving Dems full control of that state's govt.  Tonight was a crushing defeat for Trumpism, and a broad victory for the Democratic Party.