Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Trump  (Read 1474143 times)

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: The Trump Presidency (was "Presidential Poll")
« Reply #3100 on: November 08, 2017, 07:31:48 AM »
And in classic fashion, Trump blamed it on others.

BudM

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3101 on: November 08, 2017, 07:48:48 AM »
Went to the local flea market today here in Zephyrhills, FL. One of the vendors had a Trump coin minted by the Franklin Mint. If you've ever noticed Trump's profile it does appear a bit "swine-ish". Sort of like the head of a pig.

I talked with two elderly gentlemen at this booth and asked them why they voted for Trump? The second amendment was very important to them. They both felt that Trump was a successful businessman with a high IQ. I brought up the many bankruptcies he used and they had no problem with that. They also mentioned that if obstructionists and liberal media would get out of the way, he'd do a great job as President.

If Trump has such a high IQ I asked, why isn't he using it. He suffers from many self-inflicted wounds? They blamed it on fake news, which apparently is anything but Fox News. I then told them to enjoy their "echo chamber" and went on my way a bit mystified.

BudM

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #3102 on: November 08, 2017, 09:34:13 AM »
And in classic fashion, Trump blamed it on others.

BudM

Thank FSM that as Democrats we've never be so self defeating as to blame our electoral loss on others.  ::)

If we did such a thing we might then be tempted to rerun the same "blameless" campaign at some time in the future, and we might again be astounded should we again taste defeat. Einstein is usually credited with noting that "Doing the same thing and expecting different results is insane", but in cases such as this I think Narcissism rather than insanity is the culprit.

Would now be a good time to dissect these races and to determine why the latest results are so different from even the recent past?  8)

Ramen
Terry

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3103 on: November 08, 2017, 09:38:53 AM »
Thanks Terry, maybe we as Democrats do a bit too much "hand wringing"? I wonder if Republicans do the same?

Best Regards,

BudM

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3104 on: November 08, 2017, 11:27:44 AM »
Thanks Terry, maybe we as Democrats do a bit too much "hand wringing"? I wonder if Republicans do the same?

Best Regards,

BudM

I set up a web site and did tech support for a friend who ran on the Republican ticket in Nevada some decades ago.
My take is that many Republicans at that time and place didn't doubt the correctness of their position any more than our side did and does. He basically ran his campaign as instructed by the Republican strategists, and I've assumed that this was his undoing.
He was a likable chap, not too insistent on telling the truth, and he might have won had he been given a free hand to play.

The Nevada RNC candidate manual, as I recall it, laid out certain positions that their candidate's were to hold, other issues to be avoided, and stances that their candidate's were to push at every opportunity.

Avoiding the Nuclear waste issue was high on their list, and it was simply impossible to do so in a public forum. The "hand wringing" I witnessed was that a preponderance of the state candidates recognised that the Nuclear Depository was going to be their downfall. They argued amongst themselves about how close they could come to disavowing the Depository without getting booted from the party, or losing all those wonderful contributions from energy companies that were from out of state and didn't care what they did as long as they could dump their spent fuel rods in our desert.

Not really soul searching, but again, these were Republicans with no souls to search. ::)
Terry

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #3105 on: November 08, 2017, 02:52:07 PM »
Meanwhile....in a solar system far, far, away on the planet Asstrump....the news show "FOX and Idiots" they are covering:

1) The 2016 presidential election
2) Cover the issue of standing or kneeling during the anthem
3) Covered Donna Brazil's recent statements

You see.....there was no election on Asstrump yesterday.  There was no Blue Wave...there was no Blue PERIOD.

This is the alternative universe....where alternative facts rule.  Where a cute 30 something is surrounded by two male idiots that had lobotomy's.

In Iran you need to watch Iranian TV in order to understand how Iranians feel the way they do.  On Asstrump you need to watch FOX and Idiots to understand why the Trump backers feel the way they do. 
FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3106 on: November 08, 2017, 04:07:25 PM »
If the Republicans lose the AG and governorship in Florida next year...Donnie is going to spend less time thinking about "extreme vetting" and more time thinking about EXTREME JAIL TIME. 😳

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #3107 on: November 08, 2017, 04:31:16 PM »
Meanwhile....in a solar system far, far, away on the planet Asstrump....the news show "FOX and Idiots" they are covering:

1) The 2016 presidential election
2) Cover the issue of standing or kneeling during the anthem
3) Covered Donna Brazil's recent statements

You see.....there was no election on Asstrump yesterday.  There was no Blue Wave...there was no Blue PERIOD.

This is the alternative universe....where alternative facts rule.  Where a cute 30 something is surrounded by two male idiots that had lobotomy's.

In Iran you need to watch Iranian TV in order to understand how Iranians feel the way they do.  On Asstrump you need to watch FOX and Idiots to understand why the Trump backers feel the way they do.

Just wait til the see the Starbucks holiday cup. They will pivot to their annual war on Xmas theme.  ‘‘Tis the season.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3108 on: November 08, 2017, 05:26:04 PM »
The ultimate "F$$K YOU" in last nights elections was the state representative race with transgender 33 year old Danica Roem running against Bob Marshall who had held the seat for 26 years and is a self described "homophobe in chief."   Voters gave Bob the middle finger yesterday.

You don't think 'ole Bob's homophobic buddy's at the golf club are going to give Bob much crap on the golf course today do you?

It doesn't matter what gender you are....it doesn't matter what race you are...it doesn't matter what religion you are....or if you are religious at all.  What matters is what is in your head....and what you do as a human being.  Are you ethical....are you honest....do you help people or are you self-centered?  Do you use your physical and mental tools to create a better world for everyone?

Those are the things that matter.  Let's hope that in coming years we have more "Bob's" voted out of office....on both sides of the aisle.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 05:48:27 PM by Buddy »

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #3109 on: November 08, 2017, 08:36:09 PM »
Many U.S. states held elections yesterday.  And many Democrats won.  :)

Wipeout: Democrats Drub Republicans Across the Country
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/first-read/wipeout-democrats-drub-republicans-across-country-n818896

Edit:  more analysis, particularly of the Virginia race:
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2017/11/republicans_discover_there_is_no_trumpism_without_trump.html

Also, several Republicans in Congress have announced they will not seek re-election in 2018:

Another House Republican announces retirement - list of the 12 departing Republicans...
https://www.axios.com/another-house-republican-announces-retirement-2507584582.html
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 09:23:33 PM by Sigmetnow »
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
« Reply #3110 on: November 08, 2017, 11:02:11 PM »
It certainly looks like kleptocratic Trump is trying to destroy the US as a major global power so that his fellow kleptocrats, around the world (but particularly Putin), can pick-up the pieces:

Title: "US 'loses 60% of career ambassadors' since January"

http://www.bbc.com/news/41921907

Extract: "The United States has lost 60% of its career ambassadors since January, according to the head of the labour union that represents US diplomats.

Former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright - who was a staunch supporter of Hillary Clinton - told MSBNC on Wednesday that she is "deeply, deeply troubled" by the lack of staffing, "because you cannot be a major power in the world and not have a functioning diplomatic service".

A year after President Donald Trump's election, there are 152 senior posts unfilled at the Department of State, according to the tracker by Washington Post and Partnership for Public Service.

Last week Mr Trump was asked a question about vacant positions at the State Department.

"I'm the only one that matters," he replied."
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3111 on: November 09, 2017, 03:10:00 AM »

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3113 on: November 09, 2017, 04:04:00 AM »
While the linked article says much more about our current situation, the insight that resonated with me is that Trump is allowing lobbyists for big business to govern the country while Trump is busy Twitting:

Title: "A Year Without a President"

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2017/11/08/year-without-president

Extract: "It seems like forever, but it was just one year ago that Donald Trump was elected president. So what have we learned about the presidency and who is running the country? 
3. The third big thing we’ve learned is where the governing of the country is actually occurring.

Much is being done by lobbyists for big business, who now swarm over the Trump administration like honey bees over a hedgerow of hollyhocks."
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3114 on: November 09, 2017, 12:24:06 PM »
While the linked article says much more about our current situation, the insight that resonated with me is that Trump is allowing lobbyists for big business to govern the country while Trump is busy Twitting:

Title: "A Year Without a President"

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2017/11/08/year-without-president

Extract: "It seems like forever, but it was just one year ago that Donald Trump was elected president. So what have we learned about the presidency and who is running the country?
3. The third big thing we’ve learned is where the governing of the country is actually occurring.

Much is being done by lobbyists for big business, who now swarm over the Trump administration like honey bees over a hedgerow of hollyhocks."

It's obviously horrible to have lobbyists involved directly in governing, and Trump's government should be chastised.
What bothers me even more is that my party is guilty of installing lobbyists into leadership positions within the DNC. This is something new, Obama's DNC wouldn't even accept donations from lobbyists.
I can't do much about Trump's government until the next election, but pressure on the DNC might produce results in the near future.

Terry

Susan Anderson

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 279
« Reply #3115 on: November 09, 2017, 04:18:52 PM »
Terry, just briefly, elsewhere you responded about money and elections, and missed my point, which is that I'm not convinced all the money even from people like me is helping. It supports the infotainment industry and keeps TV in wealth, and in my case they spend a good bit of it trying to get more from me. I think this money thing is messed up right down the line.

anyone interested ... I'm not sure this is the right place to put this. I know some of you don't care for Rachel Maddow (did you know she has a Ph.D. from Stanford and was a Rhodes Scholar?) but last night she gave me chills presenting the winning candidates for statewide offices in Virginia. Mostly new young people, lots of women, previously politically naive, lots of pussy-hat types, really committed. I hadn't realized how across the country new people are running for office - and winning! Beautiful!! It's a start.

Again, I think the vast sums wasted on TV ads, polling, analysis, and all that BS are a burden on the economy and on energy needed for much wiser uses. This thing about new young candidates has me hopeful for the first time in months!

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3116 on: November 09, 2017, 04:35:41 PM »
I know some of you don't care for Rachel Maddow (did you know she has a Ph.D. from Stanford and was a Rhodes Scholar?) but last night she gave me chills presenting the winning candidates for statewide offices in Virginia. Mostly new young people, lots of women, previously politically naive, lots of pussy-hat types, really committed. I hadn't realized how across the country new people are running for office - and winning! Beautiful!! It's a start.

Again, I think the vast sums wasted on TV ads, polling, analysis, and all that BS are a burden on the economy and on energy needed for much wiser uses. This thing about new young candidates has me hopeful for the first time in months!

It is great that Trump has motivated so many people in the resistance, but we should realize that together with the new Democrat candidates (including re-energized pussy-hat-type women, and minorities, who tend to be subject to 'othering' by Trump's base) has come a lot of donations (see below):

Title: "Democrats’ early money haul stuns GOP"

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/23/2018-fundraising-democrats-house-races-244044

Extract: "Democratic candidates are reporting historic early fundraising totals, alarming GOP strategists and raising the prospect that 2018 could feature the most expansive House battlefield in years.

Animated by opposition to President Donald Trump and the Republican congressional majorities, at least 162 Democratic candidates in 82 GOP-held districts have raised over $100,000 so far this year, according to a POLITICO analysis of the latest FEC data. That’s about four times as many candidates as House Democrats had at this point before the 2016 or 2014 elections, and it’s more than twice as many as Republicans had running at this point eight years ago, on the eve of capturing the House in the 2010 wave election."
― Leon C. Megginson

Susan Anderson

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 279
« Reply #3117 on: November 09, 2017, 07:12:35 PM »
[edit: I seem not only to have overreacted but to have misread above. I will leave this up because some of my points are valid, but with apologies for same.]

Over $100,000 per candidate is evil and we should just surrender? I know that's not quite what was said, but honestly we all live in the real world and this microfocus on unilateral disarmament about money is part of the problem, not part of the solution. Even small donations aren't OK? Until we defeat Citizens' United we are talking about corporate millions and billions. Not even the "purest" preferred candidates have assumed hair shirts about their fundraising at this level. For the time being, I'd settle on lower socieconomic status people's donations not being overwhelmed by billionaires who are looking at enormous tax cuts and deregulation to balloon their billions.

These are people who will try to cut back on corporate influence, and sitting at a computer wringing one's hands about smaller money in elections ain't gonna do it.

Do you use a supermarket? Any other mod cons? Facebook (now there's a nasty villain)? Heat? Hot water? I am exhausted by people who worship the purity monster and won't admit any other way than perfection. We didn't even have baby steps until now.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 09:46:46 PM by Susan Anderson »

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 120
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #3118 on: November 10, 2017, 06:20:59 AM »
A response from Democrats on the disastrous Republican tax plan :

https://www.facebook.com/CREDO/videos/10156846062855968/

Democrats unity ! And stop this insane handout to the billionaires.
This is our planet. This is our time.
Let's not waste either.

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3119 on: November 10, 2017, 07:09:10 AM »
And another one here :

https://www.facebook.com/CREDO/videos/10156843686005968/

Let's not waste either.

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3120 on: November 10, 2017, 07:12:01 AM »
Here is a great number of examples of how the disastrous Trump tax plan would treat individuals and corporations differently :

https://www.facebook.com/RepMarkTakano/videos/1316844081777992/

Let's not waste either.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3121 on: November 10, 2017, 06:39:11 PM »
If you want to see what the new tax plan will do for a millionaire....you should check out Eric Schoenberg take resident liar Stuart Varney to school on a FOX News. videoclip.

My guess is....this will be the last time 'ole Stuart asks Eric onto his show (he's been before).  Note...Stuart should have known he was in trouble when Eric brought his tax return with him.

To use a basketball/football term.... Stuart got "undressed".  If you go to the short clip...watch Stuart's body language...and how he tries to lie his way out of it.  Stuart does the same thing with global warming.

FOX is truly TRASH.....

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3122 on: November 11, 2017, 07:27:13 AM »
Republicans are 6 states away from calling a Constitutional Convention:

" ... the Wisconsin Legislature voted to call for what’s known as an Article V constitutional convention, becoming the 28th state to do so in recent years. Thirty-four states are needed ...

https://www.alternet.org/right-wing/wisconsin-latest-red-run-state-call-rewriting-constitution

sidd

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: November 11, 2017, 08:43:44 AM »
The truth about the Trump presidency :

This farce of a presidency has got to end.
Let's not waste either.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: November 11, 2017, 10:07:04 PM »
With the real damage that Trump and his ilk are doing (in this case to the judiciary), time is not on our side:

Title: "Trump Is Rapidly Reshaping the Judiciary. Here’s How"

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/11/us/politics/trump-judiciary-appeals-courts-conservatives.html?google_editors_picks=true

Extract: "In the weeks before Donald J. Trump took office, lawyers joining his administration gathered at a law firm near the Capitol, where Donald F. McGahn II, the soon-to-be White House counsel, filled a white board with a secret battle plan to fill the federal appeals courts with young and deeply conservative judges.

Mr. McGahn, instructed by Mr. Trump to maximize the opportunity to reshape the judiciary, mapped out potential nominees and a strategy, according to two people familiar with the effort: Start by filling vacancies on appeals courts with multiple openings and where Democratic senators up for re-election next year in states won by Mr. Trump — like Indiana, Michigan and Pennsylvania — could be pressured not to block his nominees. And to speed them through confirmation, avoid clogging the Senate with too many nominees for the district courts, where legal philosophy is less crucial."
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3125 on: November 13, 2017, 09:59:08 PM »
Let's see......Trump has at least 14 women claiming that he groped or sexually assaulted them and he is in the Oval Office.  Donnie would be a real hypocrite to ask Roy Moore to step aside in Alabama....when Roy has only done about 30% of the sexual assault that Trump has done.

It really is disgusting having a POS such as Trump in the Oval Office.  It truly is a LOW MARK for the US.  And because he has so much disgusting company in Congress, ESPECIALLY on the Republican side.....it makes it that much worse.

Trump has no "moral high ground" to stand on.  He has NO MORALS period.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3126 on: November 13, 2017, 10:13:34 PM »
Buddy
You're beginning to sound much like those who cheered on Ken Starr, not so many years ago.
Perhaps a path to be avoided?  ::)
Terry

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: November 13, 2017, 10:42:43 PM »
Buddy
You're beginning to sound much like those who cheered on Ken Starr, not so many years ago.
Perhaps a path to be avoided?  ::)
Terry

Currently, Mueller's legal team is nowhere near the size of Starr's; but who knows how big Russiagate could become if Mueller's targets start turning state's evidence.  Russiagate certainly is bigger and more complicated than Watergate:

Title: "What Mueller's org chart reveals about his Russia probe"

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/11/13/robert-mueller-russia-probe-organization-244789

Extract: "Special counsel Robert Mueller has not publicly uttered a single word about the direction of his high-stakes Russia probe.

But the way he’s assigned the 17 federal prosecutors on his team — pieced together by POLITICO from court filings and interviews with lawyers familiar with the Russia cases — gives insight into how he’s conducting the investigation and what might be next.

The Russia special counsel’s office, however, is nowhere near the size of the multipronged Clinton-era investigation that started out as a probe of the president and first lady’s Whitewater real estate deals in Arkansas but took several unexpected turns, ending with congressional impeachment proceedings over the president’s sexual affair with White House intern Monica Lewinsky.

That Clinton investigation — most famously led by independent counsel Kenneth Starr — ballooned over the course of eight years to include more than 225 employees from DOJ and other federal agencies, including at least 65 consultants and outside advisers, according to a final report released in 2002. Jay Apperson, a former deputy independent counsel under Starr, said he could envision Mueller’s probe growing significantly in size, “depending on the scope of the investigation.”"
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 11:33:10 PM by AbruptSLR »
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: November 13, 2017, 11:01:42 PM »
RussiaGate will make Watergate look like child's play.  I said this at the very beginning...and noted then that money laundering and other charges will be found...and the scope of what his folks have found already...and will continue to find in the coming months will be gobsmacking.

Just need Donnie to keep on being Donnie.  The more he talks...the deeper his grave. 😳😳

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: November 13, 2017, 11:57:34 PM »
ASLR
Well it's not as if we were running a deficit, and really couldn't afford endless rounds of prosecution of the powerful in America. Look at how efficiently the KSA is handling their own situation. No interminable investigations, no tedious trials. Rent a hotel, lock 'em up, and shoot those fleeing. A throwback to simpler times when men were men, and women walked a pace behind them.

If this weren't a time when things were going so smoothly, both at home and abroad, one might object that this could distract our Deal Maker in Chief. Even if the world wasn't peacefully spinning along, we'd be secure, knowing that Trump's Towering Intellect would allow him to compartmentalize complex commitments, and that he'd never be so battered and shattered that he'd be reduced to twittering mindless tweets rather than Making America Grate.TM

Terry

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: November 14, 2017, 12:18:33 AM »
Well it's not as if we were running a deficit, and really couldn't afford endless rounds of prosecution of the powerful in America.

If no one cares about enforcing laws anymore (e.g. by Mueller), in order to save money, why not outsource the US Federal Government to the Mob (see link below)?  However, I guess that that idea is passé, since we have already outsourced the US Federal Government to the Trump/Putin Kleptocratic Syndicate. ;)

Title: "Collaborations between the United States government and Italian Mafia"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collaborations_between_the_United_States_government_and_Italian_Mafia
― Leon C. Megginson

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3131 on: November 14, 2017, 01:15:54 AM »
it seems as though you have to dig through 14 pages of the UN report into Assad's chemical attacks to find Annex II, where the whole story is exposed as a fake.

https://consortiumnews.com/2017/11/09/did-al-qaeda-dupe-trump-on-syrian-attack/

It seems as though Eliot Higgins, a senior fellow at the " fiercely anti-Russian Atlantic Counsel", writing in his Bellingcat Blog was instrumental in deceiving President Trump, causing the launch of  59 Tomahawk Missiles into Syria, and the death of at least 9 civilians.

It wasn't smoke and mirrors, simply 3 plumes of smoke that were given as evidence that the Syrian Air Force had dropped the chemical laced bombs. The problem, as Annex II eventually points out is that >100 victims of the chemical attack had been hospitalized an hour earlier than the times shown on Bellingcat's video of the plumes.

As I pointed out some time back, this wasn't the first of Bellingcat's problems with meta-data timing. Previously Bellingcat produced a video of the dissipating smoke trail from the Buc that supposedly shot down MH-17 over the Ukraine, only to find that the video was taken prior to MH-17's having been shot down.

To be fair, Trump wasn't the only one deceived. The UN's JIM, Joint Investigative Mechanism, "delivered the verdict that the US and her allies wanted".

Just days earlier Trump had announced that "regime change was no longer America's goal", and, as Neven has noted, "sometimes it's more important to ask who benefits".

It's a fairly wordy piece authored by Robert Perry that features other UN investigated atrocities going back to Jr. Bush's days as Commander in Chief.

Terry

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3132 on: November 14, 2017, 03:36:48 AM »
Well it's not as if we were running a deficit, and really couldn't afford endless rounds of prosecution of the powerful in America.

Apparently, Session believes that money spent on Special Counsels is so well spent that he is considering having the Treasury pay for two:

Title: "Sessions considering second special counsel to investigate Republican concerns, letter shows"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/sessions-considering-second-special-counsel-to-investigate-republican-concerns-letter-shows/ar-BBEVPGl?li=AA5a8k&ocid=spartandhp
― Leon C. Megginson

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3133 on: November 14, 2017, 04:25:28 AM »
It seems as though Eliot Higgins, a senior fellow at the " fiercely anti-Russian Atlantic Counsel", writing in his Bellingcat Blog was instrumental in deceiving President Trump, causing the launch of  59 Tomahawk Missiles into Syria, and the death of at least 9 civilians.

Yes. Assad-lover Robert Parry at consortiumnews.com REALLY does not like open-source journalism, such as from Bellingcat, since everybody can verify the evidence because it is publicly available.

[edit] Incidentally, Terry, where is the evidence that this US attack killed 9 civilians ? Or did Parry just pull that number out of thin air ?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 05:36:44 AM by Rob Dekker »
Let's not waste either.

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #3134 on: November 14, 2017, 05:11:18 AM »

Apparently, Session believes that money spent on Special Counsels is so well spent that he is considering having the Treasury pay for two:

Title: "Sessions considering second special counsel to investigate Republican concerns, letter shows"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/sessions-considering-second-special-counsel-to-investigate-republican-concerns-letter-shows/ar-BBEVPGl?li=AA5a8k&ocid=spartandhp

Sessions is likely maneuvering to please his boss and keep his job, in order to continue carrying out his life long mission of antagonizing minorities and restricting human rights.  Ordering up such an inquiry against a defeated opponent is a classic authoritarian move, straight out of the Kremlin playbook and sure to warm the hearts of Putin admirers and sufferers of Clnton Derangement Syndrome in this thread.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3135 on: November 14, 2017, 06:04:56 AM »
Now this is interesting. If it goes anywhere, it is a beginning. Visa free travel between china and russia.

i think they can track enuf with cellfones, so they dont need pieces of paper and stamps. But both nations are fairly paranoid, so we shall see.

Pushing China and Russia closer is probably a bigger foreign policy error than Iraq 2003. But this started in the Obama years, so cant blame Trump for it.

http://en.people.cn/n3/2017/1113/c90000-9292127.html

sidd

« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 07:30:07 AM by sidd »

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: November 14, 2017, 06:51:01 PM »
Is the response/follow-up to Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico as window into the likely future GOP behavior w.r.t. climate change impacts?  Will vulture capitalist backing of Team Trump (and future GOP Administrations) mean a future of profiteering in the face of rising natural disasters?

Title: "Denial’s Grim Fruits — Actual Puerto Rico Death Toll Probably Near 500; May Climb to Over a Thousand"

https://robertscribbler.com/2017/11/13/denials-grim-fruits-actual-puerto-rico-death-toll-probably-near-500-may-climb-to-over-a-thousand/

Extract: "Vulture Capitalism + Climate Change Denial = Failed Responses and Profiteering in the Face of Rising Disasters

This is why Maria’s blow has now become so hurtful. Why the Trump Administration’s neglect is so glaring. And a thousand or more people may have perished as a result. The role of the U.S. Government as the first responder to major disasters was sidelined. The sacred trust to Citizens of the United States violated. But, outrageously, such a lackadaisical, laissez faire attitude is not simply limited to Trump. It is an unfortunately endemic feature of today’s republican party. A party that is now doing its best to cut taxes for the rich while cutting medical coverage for 13 million Americans."
― Leon C. Megginson

Martin Gisser

« Reply #3137 on: November 14, 2017, 08:26:34 PM »
[...]
Previously Bellingcat produced a video of the dissipating smoke trail from the Buc that supposedly shot down MH-17 over the Ukraine, only to find that the video was taken prior to MH-17's having been shot down.
[...]
Any link?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary links, as Carl Sagan would have said...

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: November 15, 2017, 12:07:56 AM »
Torturers are back. Actually, they never left. Cory Booker is a no show on the vote.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/11/14/bradbury-confirm-torture-memos-244897

sidd

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: November 15, 2017, 01:55:27 AM »
[...]
Previously Bellingcat produced a video of the dissipating smoke trail from the Buc that supposedly shot down MH-17 over the Ukraine, only to find that the video was taken prior to MH-17's having been shot down.
[...]
Any link?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary links, as Carl Sagan would have said...

Sure - although I don't find noting another skewed observation by Bellingcat terribly extraordinary.

Believe that Bellingcat's own site refers to the discrepancy. Blamed it on a faulty camera setting if I recall correctly. - Just how a faulty camera setting would cause a faulty internet time stamp is left to the judgment of the reader.

Did you note the UN's problems with the Bellingcat video as posted above?
When you claim to have a video showing the chemical strikes hitting the city, only to find that >100 victims of the attack had been hospitalized an hour earlier, it strains one's credulity.

It's dangerous when armed forces come to rely on sources that prove to be less than reliable. When over 50 missiles are sent out it's hard to believe that only 9 civilian deaths were the result, but 5 adults and 4 children are that were claimed by Assad's Syrians.

Give me a day or so as I'm involved in some other stuff at the moment, but I promise a few URLs.
Terry

Pmt111500

« Reply #3140 on: November 15, 2017, 06:59:36 AM »
Dementia is spreading among the governing republicans: https://www.democraticunderground.com/10029842603

I keep on wondering why the people of Trumpistan want demented people to govern them. Republicans, not so much. They likely have so much to hide that demented liars are the only ones they'd employ to such a job.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: November 15, 2017, 05:22:33 PM »
[...]
[...]
Any link?

Sure - although I don't find noting another skewed observation by Bellingcat terribly extraordinary.

Believe that Bellingcat's own site refers to the discrepancy. Blamed it on a faulty camera setting if I recall correctly. - Just how a faulty camera setting would cause a faulty internet time stamp is left to the judgment of the reader.

Did you note the UN's problems with the Bellingcat video as posted above?
When you claim to have a video showing the chemical strikes hitting the city, only to find that >100 victims of the attack had been hospitalized an hour earlier, it strains one's credulity.

It's dangerous when armed forces come to rely on sources that prove to be less than reliable. When over 50 missiles are sent out it's hard to believe that only 9 civilian deaths were the result, but 5 adults and 4 children are that were claimed by Assad's Syrians.

Give me a day or so as I'm involved in some other stuff at the moment, but I promise a few URLs.
Terry
Mia Culpa

1) 'Twas a series of photos, not a video, therefore Eliot was using data from the camera, not internet metadata as I'd claimed.
2) Eliot (Bellingcat) claimed the time stamp was 4 min to 4.5 min ahead of real time, not late.

"the camera’s time stamp was approximately 4 minutes to 4 minutes and 30 seconds ahead of the real[/size] time."[/color]

The photos that Pavel Aleynikov shot of smoke near Senzhnoe were shot ~30 seconds after the blast according to him, but ~5 min after MH-17 was struck according to his camera's date time stamp.

There is some minor discrepancy with the time, but certainly nothing to indicate that it was shot prior to MH-17 being hit.

My Bad
Terry

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: November 17, 2017, 05:18:28 PM »
Shocked to find out that Gene Simmons is now banned from Trumps TV station...FOX News.   Apparently he went on a little bender about child sex and told some rather distasteful jokes after breaking into a FOX meeting.

Two weeks ago that would have earned him a bonus and more appearances on FOX.   Looks like Hannity is still standing by HIS favorite two sexual predators....Trump and Roy (didn't they do a Las Vegas act with lions and Segfried & Roy😳?).

Three institutions will continue to get negatively impacted by Trump:

1). Republicans
2). Religion...especially the crazy evangelical  Christians
3). FOX News....the folks that helped to create and promote him

Keep talking and testing Moron Don.  The more you talk, the more you reveal who you are.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: November 18, 2017, 07:09:33 PM »
Monnat and Brown followup to Monat (2016) on where Trump had his edge:

"In conclusion, place matters in politics, and it clearly mattered in the 2016 U.S. presidential election. But rural, suburban, or urban residence per se was not necessarily the causal factor. Rather, the disproportionate distribution of adverse economic, health, and social conditions in some rural towns and small cities is an important key to understanding the 2016 election results."

Trump overperformed in tural and smalltown industrial midwest. This played an important role in putting him over the top. I attach figs. 3 and 4.

Open access. Read all about it:

doi: 10.1016/j.jrurstud.2017.08.010

sidd

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: November 20, 2017, 10:00:58 PM »
Luminant....an electricity generating company....is laying off 600 people from a coal mine and a coal fired generating facility.  Donnie....coal is dying, and it is NOT coming back.  😁

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: November 21, 2017, 03:23:55 AM »
I saw James Comey tweeted a great quote yesterday:

"A great leader takes a little more than his fair share of the blame, and a little less than his fair share of the credit."

Definitely one of the signs of a good leader.......
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 07:05:00 AM by Buddy »

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: November 21, 2017, 04:35:18 AM »
Yellen takes her ball and goes home. This is a blow to unemployment hawks (those who want less ... ) on the FRB.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/11/20/yellen-announces-resignation-from-fed-179399

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: November 21, 2017, 05:50:56 AM »
No more cheap foreign drugs for the poor, or anyone else. This will piss off AARP, who are as strong a political lobby as the NRA.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2017/11/20/fda-raids-florida-suggest-trump-admin-policy-change-benefits-big-pharma

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: November 21, 2017, 08:07:33 AM »
Wait, what ? trust busting in this day and age ? Justice department goes after ATT+Time Warner fusion

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42058846

or mebbe someone like verizon just committed to a few million in campaign contributions. I dunno if Sessions is behind this, he is a busy man these days. Or mebbe Trump is pissed off at CNN, owned by Time-Warner.

No doubt it will all leak out, war on leaks is like war on terrorism or war on drugs. They are investigating 27 classified leaks, soon there will be 2700.

sidd