Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Trump  (Read 1474121 times)

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: The Trump Presidency (was "Presidential Poll")
« Reply #3350 on: January 06, 2018, 07:48:07 PM »
After watching Reagan, Bush the Lesser, and dare I mention Hillary, this is going to be a very hard sell.

If it were to be successful you can be assured that President Pence and his loyal Republicans will take the credit. Not a portion of the credit. Not even the majority of the credit.
The President and the "Republican Party that Saved the World from the Insane Trumpster who Threatened Democracy and the American Way". will take ALL of the credit.

Find another meme. There is no way to win with this one.
Terry

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
« Reply #3351 on: January 06, 2018, 09:56:22 PM »
If you want to win a knife fight you bring a knife or a gun...the truth is irrelevant.

JimD,

It is great to read one of your thought provoking posts again.

Hopefully, the Democrats will bring one mid-term election sweep, plus one Special Counsel investigation findings, to the coming presidential knife fight after November 2018.

Best,
ASLR
Based on events this week, it appears likely that the GOP leadership has no intentions of waiting for a mid-term sweep by the Democrats, but rather they intend to double-down by ending the Mueller investigation by replacing Sessions and most likely by starting a major war before the summer of 2018, so that they can then openly persecute 'enemies of the state":

Title: "The Russia Investigations: Sessions On Edge, Bannon Exiled And Internecine Combat"

https://www.npr.org/2018/01/06/576057765/the-russia-investigations-sessions-on-edge-bannon-exiled-and-internecine-combat

Extract: "So if Sessions were to go for real this time, Trump might not be able to quickly and easily appoint someone else — someone not recused from the Russia probe — to wrangle the Justice Department on the president's behalf. But if the political dynamics change, that could change the play for the White House. As NPR's Carrie Johnson has reported, replacing the leadership at Justice is one way that Trump could try to control or get rid of Mueller."
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3352 on: January 06, 2018, 11:50:29 PM »
ASLR
Didn't Trump recently announce some state of emergency, that gave him all kinds of extra-judiciary rights- while making short shift of the rights of others?

Sorry, no link
Terry

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3353 on: January 07, 2018, 02:53:49 AM »
ASLR
Didn't Trump recently announce some state of emergency, that gave him all kinds of extra-judiciary rights- while making short shift of the rights of others?

Sorry, no link
Terry

I can only think of his declaration of an emergency over opioid crisis; however, I am not sure if this allows him to crack down on drug use:

Title: "Donald Trump declares public health emergency over opioid crisis. Here’s what that means"

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2017/oct/30/opioid-epidemic-united-states-and-trump-administra/

“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

Pmt111500

« Reply #3354 on: January 07, 2018, 03:07:59 AM »
ASLR

Sorry, no link
Terry

I can only think of his declaration of an emergency over opioid crisis; however, I am not sure if this allows him to crack down on drug use:

Title: "Donald Trump declares public health emergency over opioid crisis. Here’s what that means"

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2017/oct/30/opioid-epidemic-united-states-and-trump-administra/

Maybe the crisis is that the drugs he's been taking to stay delusional wrt reality are not working as well anymore. "Gimme better drugs", he might say in the morning and then he starts to tweet his delusions again. If you have the opportunity to make him a drug test, scan for typical hallucinatory substances, though I'm quite certain he's got an access to experimental drugs nowadays. (F.e. zaleplon +methamphetamine+occasional russian vodka drinks might produce such symptoms) https://www.google.fi/amp/www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-meth-popular-nickname-619147%3famp=1
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 05:43:19 AM by Pmt111500 »

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 120
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #3355 on: January 07, 2018, 03:33:02 AM »
This is our planet. This is our time.
Let's not waste either.

Martin Gisser

« Reply #3356 on: January 07, 2018, 06:04:33 AM »
Could you please leave out the lesser-evil-trolling?
Maybe he watched your "Realnews" video till the end. Alas I did. I failed to stop it after a Jimmy Dore deja vu at the beginning... The end is classical "Clinton Money" (a Mercer financed, Breitbart produced smear book) stuff, well, not that crazy, but still half truths. I only checked the Qatar nothingburger:
http://www.politifact.com/global-news/statements/2016/oct/16/mike-pence/did-qatar-promise-clinton-foundation-1-million-fiv/
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-foundation/clintons-charity-confirms-qatars-1-million-gift-while-she-was-at-state-dept-idUSKBN12Z2SL

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #3357 on: January 07, 2018, 05:01:25 PM »
Could you please leave out the lesser-evil-trolling?
Maybe he watched your "Realnews" video till the end. Alas I did. I failed to stop it after a Jimmy Dore deja vu at the beginning... The end is classical "Clinton Money" (a Mercer financed, Breitbart produced smear book) stuff, well, not that crazy, but still half truths. I only checked the Qatar nothingburger:
http://www.politifact.com/global-news/statements/2016/oct/16/mike-pence/did-qatar-promise-clinton-foundation-1-million-fiv/
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-foundation/clintons-charity-confirms-qatars-1-million-gift-while-she-was-at-state-dept-idUSKBN12Z2SL

Well, the last part wasn't that pertinent to this thread, so I didn't even mention it. But to be clear, Blumenthal doesn't say what Pence did, nor does anything he say, contradict your second link:

And then the other kind of ricochet effect of Russiagate is that the forces that initiated this Trump-Russia collusion, are starting to experience blow-back, particularly the Clinton campaign. The latest episode is the FBI investigation into the Clinton Foundation. Now we can say, yeah, sure, maybe it's politicized, but there is a “there” there. Not only did Hillary Clinton refuse to disclose a 1 million dollar donation that Qatar made to the Clinton Foundation. Qatar by the way is the mecca of feminism, the absolute shatterer of the glass ceiling. She refused to report that donation to the State Department.

Tens of millions of dollars of donations rolled in from other feminist champions like the government of Saudi Arabia, and Algeria, who were then seeking arms deals through the Clinton State Department. Saudi Arabia, under Clinton's watch, with Clinton's authorization as Secretary of State, received a 29 billion dollar arms deal as it was making these donations. Boeing got the lion's share of the profits in that arms deal, and Boeing was a massive donor to the Clinton Foundation as well, along with Honeywell, Hawker Beechcraft, and other arms industry affiliates.
General Electric donated a million dollars to the Clinton Foundation. General Electric owns 49% of NBC, and guess who got the big job at NBC, Chelsea Clinton. I think she made 26,000 dollars for each interview she conducted, which were these just boilerplate, puff interviews with celebrities, and she did like five of them and got paid a hefty sum.

So, there's so many conflicts of interest here, and it deserves to be investigated. I mean, this is pay for play, influence peddling, and corruption at the highest level. And I'm happy to see it play out through this investigation. But that's really all we're looking at here ultimately, through Russiagate, is corruption. We haven't seen any hard evidence yet of collusion.

If it is very important for you to deny there's a semblance of pay-for-play corruption involving the Clinton Foundation, or that the 'lesser evil' isn't actually evil whatsoever, that's on your plate. I can't help you with that. But I agree it makes everything that much simpler.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #3358 on: January 07, 2018, 05:33:56 PM »

If it is very important for you to deny there's a semblance of pay-for-play corruption involving the Clinton Foundation, or that the 'lesser evil' isn't actually evil whatsoever, that's on your plate. I can't help you with that. But I agree it makes everything that much simpler.

I have no doubt that many of the major donors to the Clinton Foundation did so in the *hopes* of having some sway in the Clinton State Dept, and/or her presumptive future Presidency.  However, I've seen no evidence that any policy was influenced by any donation.  No quid pro quo.  No evidence that Hillary did anything wrong.  For the Foundation to fail to disclose some donations may raise eyebrows.  But note that in the US, it is very unusual for any charity to disclose donor names.  For example, if I donate to Planned Parenthood, I might be subject to harassment from stupid individuals, so I'd expect any such donation to remain anonymous.  That's how it almost always works.

From the US perspective, one should compare the issues claimed as "corruption" with business-as-usual in all legislatures.  Essentially every sitting legislator depends on campaign contributions for re-election bids.  Essentially every sitting legislator will take time to communicate with those contributors to discuss policy and legislative issues.  They'll even go on the record advocating for donors in Executive Branch policy-making, under the label of "constituent service." 

Note that campaign contributions get used, for example, to hire friends and family.  Many personal trips and other expenses can be paid from campaign funds, if there's any plausible connection to re-election efforts.  If the donations are to a PAC, the legislator gets to pocket the money upon retirement:

Senators and House Members Can Keep Campaign Funds on the Way Out
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/campaign-finance-senators-house-members-campaign-funds-retire/story?id=10203316
"There's a wide gap, if not a gulf, between what lawmakers can do with regular campaign money versus leadership PAC money," said Dave Levinthal, communications director for the Washington, D.C.-based CRP. "The question comes up: What can politicians do with the leftover PAC money, and the answer is pretty much whatever they want."

Campaign contributions thus are little more than delayed-receipt bribes, paid in advance of retirement.  Nice way to build up a retirement nest egg without having to earn any of it.

If you ethically compare what happens in every legislative body with questions about the Clinton Foundation, the Foundation has not personally benefited the Clintons in any comparable way,  It has, however, done excellent charitable work. The Foundation comes up very, very squeaky-clean from this perspective.  Unlike Legislators, there's been no evidence of quid pro quo.

When it comes to questions about the Clinton Foundation, there's simply "no there there.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #3359 on: January 07, 2018, 06:05:57 PM »
When it comes to questions about the Clinton Foundation, there's simply "no there there.

Like I said, it was another perspective that differs from the mainstream/establishment one, but I found the perspective on the Bannon fallout more interesting than the final part of the interview concerning the Clinton probe, never mind the fact that it was off-topic.

Which is why I asked whether Buddy could refrain from ending posts on the Trump presidency with lesser-evil-trolling. Because it leads to discussions about Clinton (which as far as I'm concerned can move to the Corporate Democrats thread).
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Pmt111500

« Reply #3360 on: January 07, 2018, 06:39:36 PM »
I'll just leave this here: "You have two presidential canditates, you can't milk a mad cow diseased oxen." ::) :D ;D :-X

Martin Gisser

« Reply #3361 on: January 07, 2018, 07:59:00 PM »
First I felt a bit bad for going off-topic. But it isn't. This Blumenthal and Dore "crooked Hillary" stuff I've seen now often enough. It reeks of psycholgical projection - from the right wing. It reeks of the lies and apeshit thrown at Hillary since decades from the right wing.

A significant proportion of the left are actually (unwitting?) assets of the Kochtopus/Mercer complex. Spreading their shit over Hillary, they help reinforce Trump's "crooked Hillary" meme....

...and help rationalizing/excusing the Trump presidency.

-------------------
P.S.: Above I forgot to exhibit that Clinton foundation Email. Here it is. Required reading.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 08:08:21 PM by Martin Gisser »

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #3362 on: January 07, 2018, 08:34:03 PM »
Here's a picture of the "self titled" jobs president....Moron Don.  Note....2017 had the fewest number of jobs added since 2010 which was when the economy was just pulling itself out of "The Great Recession."

The numbers below are the average number of jobs added PER MONTH.  2017 is all Donnies now.....and for those of you that have ever milked a cow....he is "sucking hind tit":

•2017: 171,000  Moron Don

•2016: 187,000  Obama

•2015: 226,000  Obama

•2014: 250,000  Obama

•2013: 192,000  Obama

•2012: 179,000  Obama

•2011: 174,000  Obama

•2010:  88,000  Obama

Hey Moron Don....get off your fat ass and quit playing so much golf!!   :o

Note that this is the 3rd year in a row of decreasing jobs.  Also note that December was a VERY WEAK MONTH JOBWISE....only 148,000.  If jobs growth were to continue to decelerate....Donnie could find himself "in the weeds"......
FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: January 07, 2018, 08:41:11 PM »
I think this sums up the Trump presidency pretty well.....one of my favorites for sure:

Martin Gisser

« Reply #3364 on: January 07, 2018, 10:04:59 PM »
Buddy, no! I'm one of those push/pull left/right confusers. Sometimes even +/-. Still, I got a math degree. I'm not such a genius, but I know a serious genius with the same problem...

Here is the "stable genius":

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: January 08, 2018, 01:19:09 PM »
Monthly Jobs Numbers for the US by month.  Note...Obama started at the end of January 2009.

The next few months are ones to watch closely.  First....you can see the weakening trend over the past 3 years.  What will the next 10 months look like leading into the election?  If it weakens....the Republicans "own it".  If it strengthens...they own it as well.         

2014  Average per month:  250K (this was the "peak")
2015  Average per month:  226K
2016  Average per month:  187K
2017  Average per month:  171K

And note that December of 2017 was 148K.     
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 01:53:16 PM by Buddy »

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #3366 on: January 08, 2018, 04:34:23 PM »
Trump's secret, shrinking schedule
President Trump is starting his official day much later than he did in the early days of his presidency, often around 11am, and holding far fewer meetings, according to copies of his private schedule shown to Axios. This is largely to meet Trump’s demands for more “Executive Time,” which almost always means TV and Twitter time alone in the residence, officials tell us.
 Take these random examples from this week's real schedule:

• On Tuesday, Trump has his first meeting of the day with Chief of Staff John Kelly at 11am. He then has "Executive Time" for an hour followed by an hour lunch in the private dining room. Then it's another 1 hour 15 minutes of "Executive Time" followed by a 45 minute meeting with National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster. Then another 15 minutes of "Executive Time" before Trump takes his last meeting of the day — a 3:45pm meeting with the head of Presidential Personnel Johnny DeStefano — before ending his official day at 4:15pm.

• Other days are fairly similar, unless the president is traveling, in which case the days run longer. On Wednesday this week, for example, the president meets at 11am for his intelligence briefing, then has "Executive Time" until a 2pm meeting with the Norwegian Prime Minister. His last official duty: a video recording with Hope Hicks at 4pm.

• On Thursday, the president has an especially light schedule: "Policy Time" at 11am, then "Executive Time" at 12pm, then lunch for an hour, then more "Executive Time" from 1:30pm
https://www.axios.com/newsletters/axios-sneak-peek-a7c58480-bc9e-4580-93c1-6358a6102b93.html
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: January 08, 2018, 05:23:51 PM »
In the linked Tweeter feed, George Lakoff discusses how Trump uses his tweets to partially 'control' the media news cycle:

https://twitter.com/GeorgeLakoff/status/948424436058791937
― Leon C. Megginson

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #3368 on: January 08, 2018, 07:52:21 PM »
I wonder if this gets to Trump's in-tray (and Pruitt's et al)

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-08/weather-disasters-cost-the-u-s-a-record-306-billion-in-2017

Losses from weather and climate disasters including hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria and wildfires in northern California reached a record $306 billion in 2017, the federal government’s National Centers for Environmental Information in Asheville, North Carolina, said in a report Monday. That topped the $215 billion in losses from events including hurricanes Katrina, Wilma and Rita in 2005.

There were 16 extreme weather events with losses exceeding $1 billion, matching the record set in 2011. Western wildfires led to $18 billion in total costs, triple the previous annual record, while Harvey’s $125 billion bill was second only to Katrina. Tropical cyclones, severe storms, inland floods and wildfires caused 362 direct fatalities.

Small whinge. In "Consequences" there are threads for individual subjects - wildfires, floods, hurricanes etc. There is no obvious thread where an article such as this that collates and summarises an overview can be posted.

The same applies on "Policy and Solutions", which has individual threads for coal, oil and gas, renewables etc. But an article on Bloomberg which included them all had no obvious thread on which  to park it.

In my not very humble opinion overviews are needed to help people look wider than their special interests.

"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: January 09, 2018, 05:23:33 AM »
Terry, you are going to love this :

O Canada.....What a cabinet:
Minister of Health is a doctor.
Minister of Transport is an astronaut.
Minister of National Defense is a Sikh Veteran.
Minister of Youth is under the age of 45.
Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food is a former farmer.
Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness was a Scout.
Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development was a financial analyst.
Minister of Finance is a successful businessman.
Minister of Justice was a crown prosecutor and is a First Nations leader.
Minister of Sport, and Persons with Disabilities is a visually impaired Paralympian.
Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, and Canadian Coastguard is Inuit.
Minister of Science is a medical geographer with a PhD.
New titles include
Minister of Immigration, Citizenship and Refugees was an Immigration critic.
There are scientists in the cabinet, and it is made up of 50% women.

Would anyone care to fill in the positions for the US ?
Let's not waste either.

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: January 09, 2018, 06:15:44 AM »
Let me give this a try :

Secretary of State is an ex CEO of Exxon Mobil.
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development is a retired neurosurgeon
Secretary of Agriculture has a doctorate in veterinary medicine.
Secretary of Health and Human Services is a politician and leading critic of the Affordable Care Act with a desire to convert Medicare into a voucher program.
Head of the Department of Energy forgot that he wanted to eliminate the Department of Energy.
Head of the Environmental Protection Agency is a climate science denier who has has sued the EPA as attorney general of Oklahoma.
Secretary of the Treasury is a billionaire former senior executive at Goldman Sachs and a hedge fund manager.
Heading the Department of Justice is a politician from Alabama who made racist comments and praised the KKK while criticizing the NAACP and the ACLU.
Secretary of Education is a billionaire Republican donor and the former chairwoman of the state party in Michigan.
Heading the Department of Transport was labor secretary for the full two terms of the George W. Bush administration married to Mitch McConnell.
Secretary of the Interior is an ex Navy Seal, who supports mining and drilling on public lands.
Secretary of Commerce is another billionaire plutocrat who outsourced jobs and slashed benefits at the companies he restructured.

at least the Secretary of Defense is a four-star Marine Corps general.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 11:33:04 AM by Rob Dekker »
Let's not waste either.

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: January 09, 2018, 11:09:41 AM »
Let's not waste either.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: January 09, 2018, 01:09:45 PM »
Rob:

Your analysis of Canada vs the US "government lineup" is right on point.  In team sports it's not just a matter of having "good athletes".... it's a matter of having good athletes IN THE RIGHT POSITIONS.

And in Donnie's world.....not only are their athletes in the wrong position....THEY ARENT GOOD ATHLETES EITHER.

And....the US has the added bonus of having a HORRIBLE HEAD COACH. 😳
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 02:16:52 PM by Buddy »

magnamentis

« Reply #3373 on: January 09, 2018, 06:40:40 PM »

a good one really ;) a real genius will face so many new questions for each answered question that he will never feel like a genius while a moron, stable or not stable doesn't matter so much, will consider each finding as "now i got it" which by the way is a typical adolescent approach as i remember from my own kids when they were younger than 25.

the best proof that someone didn't get it is if he/she thinks she got it once and for all, basically even all the wars with their root in religious disputes are based on the fact that some people think that they have acquired to one and only truth.

Pmt111500

« Reply #3374 on: January 10, 2018, 06:20:25 AM »
This is ok. I didn't like the Xmas song, though.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3376 on: January 10, 2018, 09:51:14 AM »

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3377 on: January 10, 2018, 02:19:26 PM »
Strong, ethical, moral leader....attract other strong, ethical, and moral people.

Weak, narcissistic, immoral, con men leaders.....attract weak, narcissistic, immoral con men/women.  That is just the way it works in life...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-spiritual-advisor-wants-send-095218970.html

Donnie is the ultimate con man.....and he attracts that type of person to him.  Just look at his cabinet (with the exception of Mattis).

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 05:05:52 PM by Buddy »

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3378 on: January 10, 2018, 02:44:09 PM »
This isn't exactly news....

https://www.yahoo.com/news/donald-trump-speaks-fourth-grade-181643564.html

I'm just glad fourth graders aren't allowed to vote....or Donnie may have won the popular vote too....  ???

And for those of you that voted for or supported Trump......he was talking directly to you.   :o

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3379 on: January 10, 2018, 07:09:01 PM »
In the US there are two "jobs numbers" that are watched closely:

1)  The "Monthly Jobs number" is reported shortly after the month is done....and is the "number of jobs added" for the month (net).  I posted that above in another entry....and noted that it has now had 3 years of DECLINING AVERAGE MONTHLY JOBS ADDED:  2015:  226,000........2016:  187,000.....and 2017:  171,000.

2)  The "Weekly JobLESS Claims" is reported every Thursday morning in the US (8:30 AM EST) and represents the number of people FILING FOR UNEMPLOYMENT CLAIMS.

6-Jan      250,000
30-Dec    241,000
23-Dec    245,000
16-Dec    245,000
9-Dec      225,000
2-Dec      236,000

The jobless claims number is ALSO TRENDING IN THE "WRONG DIRECTION" (more unemployment claims).  We have gone from 225,000 on December 9th to 250,000 last week.  Nothing to get too excited about YET....but certainly bears watching.

Watch the weekly jobless claims on a week-by-week basis to get an idea of where the overall economy is going.  There are "blips" from time-to-time....but generally they are SHORT TERM in duration.  I will be watching CLOSELY over the next few weeks to see if the trend towards MORE UNEMPLOYMENT CLAIMS continues......or if it subsides.

Remember.....Donnie was supposed to be "the jobs president".....except that he produced about 10% FEWER jobs in his first year than President Obama did in 2016.  ???
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 08:27:24 PM by Buddy »

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3380 on: January 10, 2018, 08:00:31 PM »
Sorry
I can't cheer for more people being out of work, no matter who stands to benefit from their plight.
Terry

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3381 on: January 11, 2018, 08:19:55 AM »
Taibbi on Wolff on Trump:

" ... mostly concerned with keeping the boss away from the real power of his office, almost like parents trying to steer a two-year-old away from the gas range."

"Just remember, Trump could be cunning, focused and bursting with willpower, in addition to being a gross, ignorant pig. We can only hope that Wolff is right that he isn't both."

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/features/taibbi-why-michael-wolffs-book-is-good-news-w515045

sidd

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3382 on: January 11, 2018, 03:57:25 PM »
2)  The "Weekly JobLESS Claims" is reported every Thursday morning in the US (8:30 AM EST) and represents the number of people FILING FOR UNEMPLOYMENT CLAIMS.

6-Jan      250,000
30-Dec    241,000
23-Dec    245,000
16-Dec    245,000
9-Dec      225,000
2-Dec      236,000

You can now add 261,000 unemployment claims for the January 13th reading for jobless claims.[/b]  Up 11,000 over last week....and now at a 3 month high.  Keep watching this number over the coming weeks.  We clearly have a SHORT TERM TURN UP in data since December 9th.....and again, we are at a 3 MONTH HIGH in unemployment claims.

A couple other things to note:  Gasoline prices have increased and could "help" a slowdown.....and the housing market is also a potential headwind, especially more expensive houses.  What will the next 4 weeks of data hold?  We'll have to watch.  At "more meaningful turning points" (ie intermediate term or long term).....there is ALWAYS "mixed data".

If the numbers start getting into the 285,000 - 290,000 area.....Trump admin will start sweating bullets.  And if it gets over 300,000.....sweat will increase. 

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/jobless-claims-u-rise-three-133001848.html

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3383 on: January 11, 2018, 10:51:45 PM »
 Again....watch the next month or two of numbers BOTH on the weekly jobless claims AND the "monthly jobs" numbers after the end of a month.

Walmart announced layoffs today.....

https://shareblue.com/white-house-praises-walmart-hours-after-company-announces-massive-layoffs/

Martin Gisser

« Reply #3384 on: January 12, 2018, 01:32:20 AM »
Hil(l)arious news evening (ca. 2am loc. time)...
First for the Hillary komplex...
MSNBC just had a hilarious sequence of snippets of Trump talking about Hillary. (2x during press conf. with prime minister of Norway... What is it with this Hillary??...)
Plus 2 other milestones of American Press history... Hahaaaaaaaaahahahaha....
Trump declared nuts.
But --
if it is Alzheimerish
(or maybe if just an elderly coke head with no brains to resist ageing except the ligneous core formed in late puberty)

The skills of the younger Trump might well be the last to get lost on him.

Thus that hunch again: America has a serious Hillary complex, just as big as the rightwingnut complex. If this and the above, Trump is still fit for manipulatio/fellatio of his presidency's target group. Oprah wouldn't be better.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 02:12:24 AM by Martin Gisser »

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3385 on: January 12, 2018, 12:54:09 PM »
Who knew?  Donnie a racist?  SHOCKING. ;) 

Two years of the same message....and apparently some people are starting to figure it out:

1)  Donnie is a racist
2)  Donnie is NOT into details (sorry Donnie....no F52's unless you play Call Of Duty)
3)  Donnie is lazy.....82 rounds of golf to prove it...
4)  Republicans support Donnie ONLY because he (a) got rid of the estate tax (b) dropped income tax rates on upper income earners (c) he got rid of regulations to safeguard the planet (d) got rid of regulations to hold banks accountable (yea....he lied during the campaign)
5)  He is a continual liar

Who knew?  The way you judge a person is by the company they keep and the people they support.  Anyone who supports Donnie in the smallest way IS A REFLECTION OF DONNIE HIMSELF.

A few months ago I noted that "I have confidence in Donnie to destroy himself" (paraphrased).  When you have someone who is SOOOOOO ill equipped..... so stupid.....so racist....so sexist....it is just a matter of time until he destroys himself.

The next 8 months +/- will be fascinating.  Just how much of a racist is Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan?  We will find out.  Just how much will they put up with?  And what will the reaction be of US citizens?

Fascinating times.......
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 01:21:37 PM by Buddy »

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3386 on: January 12, 2018, 02:21:48 PM »
Here is a guy that is doing something in a small way to combat the RACIST policies, the SEXIST policies, the policies for the wealthiest over middle America......

This guy is doing something in a SMALL WAY IN HIS DISTRICT.  Maybe you can too.....

http://climatechangegraphs.blogspot.com/2013/06/barry-loudermilk-unless-you-speak-out.html

Pmt111500

« Reply #3387 on: January 12, 2018, 02:30:59 PM »
"Drumpf I of Trumpistan has officially declared "Haiti is a shithole of a nation". This means that the republican senators, may God bless their white souls, are not allowed to call Haiti anything other than a shithole that it is. Else they may find their resignation letters be written for them and asses put permanently in retirement.", the Trumpistan Righteous Office of Official And Sophisticated Statements.(TROO ASS)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 02:36:36 PM by Pmt111500 »

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3388 on: January 12, 2018, 07:11:48 PM »
Former Union Leader Calls Trump A 'Con Man' And 'Liar' As Carrier Lays Off 215 More Workers

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ex-union-boss-calls-trump-044031196.html

That's our Donnie boy..... :o  Sounds like the union leader of knows Donnie pretty well now...

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3389 on: January 12, 2018, 07:14:35 PM »
OK Pennsylvania 18th District.....it's YOUR TURN.  A special election this coming March in a district that went for Moron Don by 20 points is turning out to be a LOT CLOSER THAN IT SHOULD BE.  Where I have heard that before......hmmmmmmmm....... ROLL TIDE....

https://shareblue.com/trump-frantically-jumps-into-special-election-in-a-deep-red-district-he-won-by-20-points/

« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 07:34:03 PM by Buddy »

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3390 on: January 12, 2018, 07:24:00 PM »
"Drumpf I of Trumpistan has officially declared "Haiti is a shithole of a nation". This means that the republican senators, may God bless their white souls, are not allowed to call Haiti anything other than a shithole that it is. Else they may find their resignation letters be written for them and asses put permanently in retirement.", the Trumpistan Righteous Office of Official And Sophisticated Statements.(TROO ASS)

Deplorable !!

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #3391 on: January 12, 2018, 07:42:23 PM »
I, among many, am very disappointed that the Trump is not coming to Little Old England to open the new US Fort Embassy in London. What, pray, does one do with one's collection of rotten tomatoes and very addled eggs ?

ps:- An article by Megan McArdle at mmcardle3@bloomberg.net, a Republican commentator.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-01-11/warning-trump-s-babysitters-are-about-to-go-home

“More than half a dozen of the more skilled White House staff are contemplating imminent departures,” says the news site Axios. “Many leaving are quite fearful about the next chapter of the Trump presidency.”

Ominous words, for those who have been counting on what Ross Douthat this week called “Trump’s Petticoat Government” -- the coalition of people who keep Trump from blithely making disastrous snap decisions. ......

Why stay with the administration? At this point, it’s clear to everyone who might become any sort of policy adviser that there is no hope for a grand master plan of anything, no hope of getting any expansive policy agenda to catch Trump’s extremely limited attentional bandwidth. That’s true whether you’re a MAGA America Firster or a conventional Republican......

No one has so far walked out of the Trump West Wing looking better than when they entered.....

The first chapter of the Trump presidency has been … interesting. We’ll have to hope that the next chapter doesn’t find the protagonist left all on his own, embarking upon a series of truly hair-raising adventures.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 08:25:37 PM by gerontocrat »
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3392 on: January 12, 2018, 10:53:24 PM »
And after the special election in March just south of Pittsburgh.......it looks like Jim Renacci is going out of his way to have the Democrat's roll on into his backyard in Ohio as he runs for the senate.

Boy....Donnie is going to be a BIG HELP to the Republican's this fall.

Hey Jim....if you need some help hitching your wagon to the Donmobile....I'll be more than happy to help you out.   ;)

https://shareblue.com/he-is-saying-what-people-are-thinking-gop-candidate-shamefully-defends-trumps-racism/

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3393 on: January 13, 2018, 01:10:38 AM »
Just when you think he can't go ANY lower.....Donnie manages to crawl UNDER PONDSCUM.

At least Donnie has a new nickname:  Stormy Trump.  Has a nice ring to it.

I wonder if Donnie's lying lawyer, Michael Cohen, will be questioned again by Mueller?

Mueller:  "Mr. Cohen, were you familiar with Stormy, and were you aware that Donald Trump was trying to silence Stormys story of a sexual encounter with Donald Trump?"

😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3394 on: January 13, 2018, 05:20:36 PM »
While much of the US suffers from a nasty flu outbreak....it appears there is yet another disease that is afflicting some people in the US: "Shithole Amnesia".

It appears to strike only Republicans....and specifically Republicans that have meetings with Moron Don.  As yet....it is not known whether or not the disease is lethal.....  ;)

https://www.vox.com/2018/1/12/16885312/trump-shithole-countries-denial

Martin Gisser

« Reply #3395 on: January 13, 2018, 07:18:48 PM »
Would you 'Merricans please stop discussing the s-hole nation comment? A classical example of distraction, from a playbook we have seen often enough now. Don't look at that glimmer.

Martin Gisser

« Reply #3396 on: January 13, 2018, 07:47:28 PM »
Oha! and this Porn Star thing... Please don't look at the glimmer.... !!!!!
ROTFL... or, serious:
Haven't seen such a massive dose of chaff / Düppel thrown into news space
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaff_(countermeasure)
- ever since I've been watching Trumpistan news.

Anybody read the NYTimes article yet? Or got a paper copy of TIME magazine? (I once collected some since Reagan times...)

---------------
P.S.: Art critics may note that Florifulgurator has a typographical phase in his oeuvre...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 07:53:09 PM by Martin Gisser »

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #3397 on: January 13, 2018, 08:44:17 PM »
I strongly disagree that these are "distracting" stories.  Trump has seriously damaged American standing and influence throughout the world.  That's important.

As for salacious stories, they may not be especially relevant in themselves.  But they're valuable on another level.  People should remember that Nixon's cover-up efforts did not, by themselves, prompt Congress to initiate impeachment proceedings.  Congress was only prompted to move in this direction as a result of public pressure.

As long as Trump supporters command a sizable plurality in Republican primaries, this minority of the population can determine actions by this still-Republican Congress.  If the evangelical/Christian part of this plurality can be peeled away by salacious stories, they serve a valuable function.

In contrast, relatively few voters seem to get motivated by substantive policy matters.  Focusing on policy matters, while far more rational, won't steer public opinion nearly as much as salacious dirt.

Martin Gisser

« Reply #3398 on: January 13, 2018, 11:02:42 PM »
So lets call it flash grenades with tits :)
Trumpian modus operandi: Swamp the drain. Drown news-spacetime with silly or outrageous stuff.
The real things are behind this curtain.

And the porn star stuff isn't even new. Was it 2016 or 2017? :)

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3399 on: January 14, 2018, 02:35:28 AM »
Personally, I didn't approve of these tactics when they were using them against Clinton either.

Terry