Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Trump  (Read 1473837 times)

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
Re: The Trump Presidency (was "Presidential Poll")
« Reply #3850 on: March 17, 2018, 05:36:59 PM »
Trump, as a vulture capitalist, could care less what happens to the USA long-term, as Trump believes that in chaos there is opportunity:

Title: "How debt could blow up the Trump economy"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/how-debt-could-blow-up-the-trump-economy/ar-BBKeOXQ?ocid=spartandhp

Extract: "Trump’s heady economic potion, however, is masking misguided policies that could leave those same businesses with a severe hangover from today’s celebration. The U.S. government’s huge and growing budget deficits have become gargantuan enough to threaten the great American growth machine. And Trump’s policies to date—a combination of deep tax cuts and sharp spending increases—are shortening the fuse on that fiscal time bomb, by dramatically widening the already unsustainable gap between revenues and outlays. On our current course, we’re headed for a morass of punitive taxes, puny growth, and stagnant incomes for workers—a future that’s the precise opposite of what Trump champions."
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #3851 on: March 17, 2018, 06:38:48 PM »
Sean Hannity isn’t just attacking Shepard Smith. He’s attacking the very nature of news.

I guess the "news arm" of the Trump administration didn't take kindly to the calling out of the fake news of Sean Hannity and others....

Sean Hannity didn't appreciate what Fox News colleague Shepard Smith said in a Time magazine interview published on Thursday, the day the network announced a contract extension for Smith.

That's understandable. Though Smith did not call out Hannity by name, he did say “some of our opinion programming is there strictly to be entertaining” and that “they don't really have rules on the opinion side. They can say whatever they want.”

In firing back, however, Hannity attacked not only Smith and his comments but also the very nature of news.

While Shep is a friend with political views I do not share, and great at breaking news, he is clueless about what we do every day. Hannity breaks news daily-Warrant on a Trump assoc, the unmasking scandal, leaking intel, Fisa abuse, HRC lawbreaking, dossier and more REAL NEWS! 9p https://t.co/zJpnnyFTtP

— Sean Hannity (@seanhannity) March 16, 2018

Hannity, in this tweet, attempts a breathtaking role reversal: He is the one delivering “REAL NEWS.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2018/03/16/sean-hannity-isnt-just-attacking-shepard-smith-hes-attacking-the-very-nature-of-news/?utm_term=.4d204fcd1ce0
FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3852 on: March 17, 2018, 07:51:48 PM »
Here is a poll that the Republicans will be watching very closely over the next 3 - 5 months.  If it grows even worse than it is now..... they are in BIG TROUBLE. And this....is what is going to force their hands against Treasonous Trump.  How much pain are they willing to go through? 

The poll below is by NBC.  Fivethirtyeight.com has a poll as well.... and it is 48 vs 38.

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #3853 on: March 17, 2018, 09:32:38 PM »
Here is a poll that the Republicans will be watching very closely over the next 3 - 5 months.  If it grows even worse than it is now..... they are in BIG TROUBLE. And this....is what is going to force their hands against Treasonous Trump.  How much pain are they willing to go through? 

The poll below is by NBC.  Fivethirtyeight.com has a poll as well.... and it is 48 vs 38.

It's slightly more complicated.  Congressional Rs facing re-election first have to face a primary against another R.  The most important polls are of Republican voters most likely to vote in a primary--the most ideological component, the "base."  Here, if 55% of these like Trump (and they do) then Repubes have to support Trump, or they don't even get to the general election.

Their strategy would need to be to each support Trump until after their own primary, then "pivot" to criticizing Trump, to try to get over the finish line in the general election.  They might (or might not) pivot back to supporting Trump after the general election, depending on their own calculations for their own careers.  Since Trump is such a fustercluck with doom written on the wall for his administration, they might not pivot back to support him.

I'd be cautiously optimistic for a tad more Congressional spine after the primaries are over with.  We can only hope.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3854 on: March 18, 2018, 04:30:40 PM »
Interesting little "spat" going on over at Trump's "Intelligence and Communications Department".... otherwise known as FOX News:

Shepard Smith announces 'previously planned' vacation amid Hannity, Ingraham spat

Fox News chief news anchor Shepard Smith announced Friday afternoon he was taking a "previously-planned one-week vacation" and joked that when he returns "everything will be peachy-keen & hunky-dory."

The announcement comes just hours after fellow Fox News hosts Sean Hannity and Laura Ingraham slammed Smith as "clueless" about what the opinion side of the network does and for making "inconsiderate and inaccurate" statements about prime-time Fox programs.

Smith had previously said the opinion hosts on his network "don't have rules" and are just meant for entertainment.

Hannity and Ingraham took offense to Smith's truth.  I have felt for the last year or so.... that one of two things will happen regarding Smith:

1)  He will have to move back over to "the dark side" of lying on FOX just like Hannity, Ingraham, et al..... or at the very least, not calling them out.

2)  He will be given his walking papers by FOX

FOX is a perpetual lie machine.... and anyone with any journalistic credibility can't work there WITHOUT commenting on it.  Which is exactly what has landed Sheppard Smith in hot water.  So he has a choice to make:  Continue to be a journalist..... someone actually LOOKING FOR THE TRUTH..... or ..... lie like the rest of FOX (McCallum, Hannity, Bartoromo, Ingraham, FOX and Friends, etc).

It will be interesting to watch to see what happens.....
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 02:10:11 PM by Buddy »

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3855 on: March 19, 2018, 06:44:53 AM »
Trump trying to screw 4 B US$ outta the thug Saudi prince for Syria:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/trump-wants-to-get-the-us-out-of-syrias-war-so-he-asked-the-saudi-king-for-4billion/2018/03/16/756bac90-2870-11e8-bc72-077aa4dab9ef_story.html

To get OUT of Syria ? does he really not know that mil-ind will never let him get out ? Or that Saud will not leave Syria unless his thug friend is deposed ?

Gee, Trump, make up a better story, like, hey Salman, buddy, slip me 4B for hookers and blow.

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3856 on: March 19, 2018, 06:50:38 AM »
Re: steel tariffs

Now here is an interesting nugget after you get thru the fluff:

"In a statement Saturday, Merkel's office said the German leader had spoken with Chinese President Xi Jinping.

The two backed continuing talks among the G20 group of industrialised and emerging nations on cutting steel overproduction which have so far had little impact. "

EU and China co-ordinating on tariff reaction.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/us/us-will-fail-if-it-tries-to-split-europe-germany/articleshow/63357182.cms

sidd

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 120
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #3857 on: March 19, 2018, 07:51:06 AM »
No, Neven believes that it is important to take a step back and think about how you do things, instead of panicking and pushing the wrong buttons again. There are opportunities that can be seized to change the system, which takes precedence over simply fighting Trump/Putin/GOP no matter how, no matter what. Neven also doesn't believe that violence and pushing for war can accomplish anything, except for more violence and war.

Neven, I don't see that ANYONE is promoting "violence and pushing for war" anywhere on these threads, so I don't understand why you bring it up.

But it looks to me you are one of the few who pushes to "change the system", a concept that still feels alien to me. We have a democratic system right now, and it will deal with Trump and the GOP in due time. As opposed to Russia and China where there are now "presidents-for-life" in place.

Are you suggesting that we "change the system" to some sort of authoritarian rule ? If not, what do you mean exactly with  "change the system"  ?

Also, taking a couple of steps back, and a bird eyes view, you mentioned a couple of times that a new Cold War would impede the fight against AGW. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.
But if so, why do you believe that ?

Why wouldn't a free market (with, or even without alternative energy incentives) be able to tackle AGW, regardless of a second Cold War being ongoing or not ?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 08:07:23 AM by Rob Dekker »
This is our planet. This is our time.
Let's not waste either.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #3858 on: March 19, 2018, 12:31:20 PM »
Neven, I don't see that ANYONE is promoting "violence and pushing for war" anywhere on these threads, so I don't understand why you bring it up.

Maybe not directly, but by so meekly following establishment narratives, pushed by corporate media, there can be only one outcome: Further conflict and tensions. Forces on the Russian side are trying to accomplish the same. That's why I believe that if we absolutely have to think in polarized terms, then let us at least think of it as 'forces who want division and conflict to increase power and profits' vs 'the people who don't want it', and not along archaic lines of USA vs Russia, or rich vs poor.

But it looks to me you are one of the few who pushes to "change the system", a concept that still feels alien to me.

Maybe that's because you haven't focused enough on underlying causes. I could be totally wrong, but I've come to believe that the root cause of all global problems is this system that is geared towards increasing concentrated wealth at an exponential rate. My feeling is that you and many others are being distracted by the trees (individual fragments or symptoms) and therefore do not see the forest (the system or underlying causes). That's not your fault, it is done on purpose to manipulate you.

It's really hard to solve the symptoms if the underlying cause remains untouched. Mind you, this system is amoral and war has always been an excellent way to increase power and wealth.

That's why I think that as a society (and this forum is a small representation of it) we need to discuss ways of getting out of the conundrum, instead of letting the media hypnotizing us with sensationalized details. Rather than spend so much energy on the insignificant question of who poisoned some double agent, for instance, we'd better discuss the best way to prevent events that increase tensions, and thus militarization, and thus conflict. We're hardly doing that here, and thus in society at large.

Russiagate is useful as a piece of the pie that shows that Trump is corrupt and part of the establishment. But if it is treated as some kind of panacea that must dominate all efforts and attention, there's a high probability of backfiring, which will make it even more difficult to change the system (more time lost).

We have a democratic system right now, and it will deal with Trump and the GOP in due time. As opposed to Russia and China where there are now "presidents-for-life" in place.

That democratic system is rigged, and has been for quite a while now, to serve the interests of concentrated wealth. I forgot what the word is, but here's an oligarchic system that puts up a semblance of democracy, predetermining the range of what is electable and what not. That's where the USA is at right now, IMHO.

You can deal with Trump and the GOP, but if the aim isn't to change the system (ie concentrated wealth getting bigger by rewarding politicians etc), it won't be a real solution and you'll soon have an even worse version of Trump on your hands.

Are you suggesting that we "change the system" to some sort of authoritarian rule ? If not, what do you mean exactly with  "change the system"  ?

If the core problem is the exponential growth of concentrated wealth, you somehow need to stop it from growing, at the very least taking out the exponential aspect of it. In other words, you fix the inequality so that it doesn't become too large, where it starts killing its host. History is replete with examples of empires collapsing because inequality became too large to bear (see Piketty).

Also, taking a couple of steps back, and a bird eyes view, you mentioned a couple of times that a new Cold War would impede the fight against AGW. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.
But if so, why do you believe that ?

Because it costs huge amounts of money, armies aren't known for their green credentials, and worst of all, it causes paralyzing fear, which makes the masses amenable to all kinds of policies restricting their freedom. The danger of that is that as soon as leftists or environmentalists are perceived as some kind of threat, they will easily be taken out. And, of course, wars leave scars that hamper progress.

Why wouldn't a free market (with, or even without alternative energy incentives) be able to tackle AGW, regardless of a second Cold War being ongoing or not ?

Because first of all, a free market isn't possible when concentrated wealth has its thumb on the scale (both fists would be more correct). Furthermore, it is my firm belief that the current set-up cannot be greenified. We can't have our cake and eat it, not with a large percentage of the population forced in a treadmill to work for concentrated wealth, and barely have anything left to live a peaceful life and develop the wisdom required for meaningful change.

It will probably all depend on what happens with automation, AI, robotoics, etc. If its advantages accrue mostly to concentrated wealth, things will not get better. If it frees up everyone, by providing a minimum income or some such, things might head in a better direction. But when that happens, the system will have effectively been changed. In other words, the system needs to change, if we want to have a real change of solving not just AGW, but all global problems.

It won't change by itself. We must demand it. And replacing Trump, no matter how, no matter what, is not going to cut it. What will you replace him with? This is essential.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3859 on: March 19, 2018, 02:32:52 PM »
I expect Trump to make his move on Mueller.  WITHIN weeks?  Before the end of April?  It's coming... it's just a matter of time.

Traitor Don is getting his Ducks in order.  His communication department at FOX is now on overdrive..... with lying Sean and Jeanine at the controls.  Things I have my eye on in the SHORT TERM:

1). McMaster firing
2). Sheppard Smith firing at FOX? Or is he just muzzled?
3). Watching Mattis closely
4). Watching Saudi Arabia and Iran (guess who is visiting Donnie this week?)

Traitor Don really only has two choices:  (1) fire Mueller, or (2) manufacture a war, and use THAT as a reason to quash FBI investigation during a "time of conflict" (North Korea or Iran are the two most likely targets.... but clearly, Iran has less risk).

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3860 on: March 19, 2018, 03:52:29 PM »
Two other things to note:

1). Robert Mercer and his wife are likely going to get a CLOSE look as Mueller digs further into Cambridge Anylitica.  "Brad" and Kushner are in REAL TROUBLE now.  They are the two knee deep in the IT part of RissiaGate.

2). Saudi Arabia is likely in deeper financial trouble than they are letting on.  They NEED oil prices to maintain where they are or go higher.  Saudi Arabia would like nothing better than to attack Iran right now.... thus giving oil a shot in the arm.  Too much supply is hitting the market from the Permian Basin in Texas/New Mexico.  Absent a military conflict or some other type of "event".... oil is heading lower.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #3861 on: March 19, 2018, 03:59:11 PM »
Is Mueller really investigating Cambridge Analytica? Now, that would be news.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3862 on: March 19, 2018, 04:17:16 PM »
Is Mueller really investigating Cambridge Analytica? Now, that would be news.

It *is* news.  Vox cites the Wall Street Journal on this.  WSJ is paywalled, so:

Cambridge Analytica, the shady data firm that might be a key Trump-Russia link, explained
"The Wall Street Journal reported on Friday that Special Counsel Robert Mueller has requested that a data analytics company called Cambridge Analytica turn over internal documents as part of its investigation into possible collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia during the 2016 election."

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/10/16/15657512/cambridge-analytica-christopher-wylie-facebook-trump-russia

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3863 on: March 19, 2018, 04:40:15 PM »
Of course Mueller will investigate Cambridge Anaylitica.  Their IT folks are at the heart of it.  And the CEO/COO will certainly be interviewed.... and they will want to know if they ever communicated with the Mercers in any way about the election.

This is just the start of it.  As someone said more than a year ago.... "this (RussiaGate) will make Watergate look like child's play."

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #3864 on: March 19, 2018, 04:41:46 PM »
It will be interesting to see how close to a US oligarch they'll be willing to go.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3865 on: March 19, 2018, 04:47:43 PM »
Of course Mueller will investigate Cambridge Anaylitica.  Their IT folks are at the heart of it.  And the CEO/COO will certainly be interviewed.... and they will want to know if they ever communicated with the Mercers in any way about the election.

This is just the start of it.  As someone said more than a year ago.... "this (RussiaGate) will make Watergate look like child's play."

Interesting point.  Even if there were no direct contacts between CA and the Kremlin, there could still be a serious campaign finance violation.  The Mercers could legally have provided limitless funds for pro-Trump activities by CA -- but only if there were no coordination with the official Campaign.  But it the Campaign were working with CA, then that loophole is probably closed.  So perhaps there were $ millions of illegal campaign contributions by the Mercers.

It would feel good for the Mercers to get nailed for what they've done.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3866 on: March 19, 2018, 04:52:03 PM »
The US isn't Russia.  We don't have oligarch's (yet.... although Traitor Don and some Republican's are doing their best to change that)..... no matter what Jimmy Dore says.

And if we (we meaning US citizens) keep Mueller on the scent..... the US businessmen who want to be "Oligarch types" will never get there.  In fact.... we could be at the beginning of a long term shift in the US at containing big money. 

And this is one of the reasons why RussiaGate is so important.... and taking down Trump for his many crimes is so important.  Truly starting to clean up the swamp.

First things first:  Traitor Don and most of his administration need to be brought to justice.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3867 on: March 19, 2018, 07:39:18 PM »
One GOP effort to suppress the blue wave was rejected by federal judges:

Title: "Federal Judges Reject GOP Attempt to Block New Pennsylvania Map"

https://www.thedailybeast.com/federal-judges-reject-gop-attempt-to-block-new-pennsylvania-map

Extract: "A panel of three federal judges decided Monday to throw out a Republican challenge against the newly redrawn district map proposed by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court last month."
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3868 on: March 19, 2018, 08:08:26 PM »
Interesting point.  Even if there were no direct contacts between CA and the Kremlin, there could still be a serious campaign finance violation.  The Mercers could legally have provided limitless funds for pro-Trump activities by CA -- but only if there were no coordination with the official Campaign.  But it the Campaign were working with CA, then that loophole is probably closed.  So perhaps there were $ millions of illegal campaign contributions by the Mercers.

Keep in mind that Steve Bannon used to work at CA.  The Mercers supported Ted Cruz before leaving for Donnie.... and CA was used by Cruz.

Follow the money.....

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #3870 on: March 19, 2018, 10:15:13 PM »
There was an excellent documentary on Mercer last year on the Real News Network:

The enemy is within

E. Smith

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3871 on: March 20, 2018, 12:00:41 AM »
The linked article discusses information that certainly damages CA's reputation:

Title: "Cambridge Analytica Execs Caught Discussing Extortion and Fake News"

https://www.wired.com/story/cambridge-analytica-execs-caught-discussing-extortion-and-fake-news/

Extract: "In a series of undercover videos filmed over the last year, Britain's Channel 4 News caught executives at Cambridge Analytica appear to say they could extort politicians, send women to entrap them, and help proliferate propaganda to help their clients. The sting operation was conducted as part of an ongoing investigation into Cambridge Analytica, a data consulting firm that worked for President Trump's 2016 campaign."
― Leon C. Megginson

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3872 on: March 20, 2018, 01:03:13 AM »
Tabbi:

"The problem is that when it comes to embracing autocratic regimes, Trump actually is normal."

https://www.rollingstone.com/taibbi-normalizing-trump-human-rights-abuse-foreign-policy-china-korea-w517779

sidd

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3873 on: March 20, 2018, 09:10:51 AM »
Let's get to the core of the argument :

We have a democratic system right now, and it will deal with Trump and the GOP in due time. As opposed to Russia and China where there are now "presidents-for-life" in place.

That democratic system is rigged, and has been for quite a while now, to serve the interests of concentrated wealth. I forgot what the word is, but here's an oligarchic system that puts up a semblance of democracy, predetermining the range of what is electable and what not. That's where the USA is at right now, IMHO.

So if the democratic system is rigged, and oligarchy is obviously not the way to go, which system would you suggest we embrace ?
Let's not waste either.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #3874 on: March 20, 2018, 11:18:13 AM »
So if the democratic system is rigged, and oligarchy is obviously not the way to go, which system would you suggest we embrace ?

A system in which there are checks and balances with regards to concentrated wealth. Wealth, yes, but in so many hands that it doesn't become concentrated and leads to covert feudalism. A system where growth is defined in such a way that it doesn't become a cancer. A system where democracy can't be rigged to serve concentrated wealth.

How that looks exactly, I don't know. The devil is in the details, but you have to start simple. That's why most religions are usually founded on a small set of commandments.

But it's crucial to go deep and see the system for what it is and how it works. If you don't do that, you lack the framework to prevent things like Trump from happening. You can't cure a disease by fighting the symptoms.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3875 on: March 20, 2018, 08:28:37 PM »
As the GOP protects Trump from the consequences of such allegations, I believe that the GOP should be held accountable in the mid-term elections for any such allegations that are reasonably proven (including Trumps use of the National Enquirer for personal benefit) to have substance:

Extract: "Ex-Playboy model who alleges affair with Trump sues to break silence"

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/379341-ex-playboy-model-who-alleges-affair-with-trump-sues-to-be-able-to-be

Extract: "A former Playboy model on Tuesday sued the company that owns the National Enquirer so she could break her silence about an alleged affair she claims she had with President Trump.

Karen McDougal is suing American Media Inc., which paid her $150,000 for her story about the alleged affair and then withheld it from publication, The New York Times reports.

McDougal, whose lawsuit was filed in Los Angeles Superior Court, alleges that she was misled by American Media Inc. and her lawyer at the time about the deal."
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 10:33:52 PM by AbruptSLR »
― Leon C. Megginson

Clare

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3876 on: March 20, 2018, 09:42:55 PM »
Just for your amusement, Former Pres Obama arrived in New Zealand overnight for some golf & a speaking engagement:

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3877 on: March 20, 2018, 11:08:06 PM »
Per Seth Abramson, there is a 99% chance that Stormy is telling the truth and a 1% chance that The Donald is:
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3878 on: March 20, 2018, 11:23:05 PM »
Here is a follow-up to my last post:

Title: "Stormy Daniels’s Lawyer Buys Lie-Detector Video"

https://www.wsj.com/articles/stormy-danielss-lawyer-buys-lie-detector-video-1521575056

Extract: " Polygrapher says porn actress was truthful in 2011 when recounting having sex with Donald Trump

A lawyer for Stephanie Clifford paid $25,000 on Monday to buy the rights to video footage of the former adult-film actress taking a lie-detector test about an alleged sexual encounter with President Donald Trump, the polygraph examiner who administered the test said."
― Leon C. Megginson

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #3879 on: March 20, 2018, 11:30:31 PM »
Why on earth have we suddenly become fixated on a very rich guy screwing a very brazen woman?

The "deplorables" eat this stuff up.

Are the Democrats going to run on a Christian Values Platform?

Voters will be driven from the polls by paroxysms of laughter.
Terry

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3880 on: March 20, 2018, 11:35:52 PM »
As Nancy Pelosi is 77 years old, Bloomberg recommends that Democrats running for election in 2018 should talk about "… Democratic Whip Steny Hoyer, so that a healthy fight to succeed Pelosi can actually take place."

Title: "Pelosi Is the Wrong Target for Democrats"

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-03-20/nancy-pelosi-is-the-wrong-target-for-democrats

Extract: "Democrats on the campaign trail are looking skittish about defending Nancy Pelosi. Others in the House are sounding impatient for a changing of the guard. Pelosi is the wrong target, however: They should be going after Democratic Whip Steny Hoyer, so that a healthy fight to succeed Pelosi can actually take place.

Two things Democrats should know:

Congressional leaders are almost always unpopular. Pelosi isn't unpopular because she's a liberal, or from San Francisco, or even because of misogyny. She's unpopular because she's a congressional leader. As of last June, Pelosi was 20 percentage points underwater in favorability polling. So was Paul Ryan.   Both were targeted in ads by the other party in the recent Pennsylvania election. That's just par for the course throughout U.S. history.

House leaders are accustomed to working at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to earning the adulation of the masses. They are creatures of Washington to the fullest, spending their time on reconciliation instructions and motions to recommit and modified closed rules and 301 (b) allocations. To virtually all voters, this seems irrelevant, and possibly irritating. The actual work of leadership involves the kinds of compromising and deal-making that rarely inspire enthusiasm. Whoever succeeds Pelosi will be an unpopular leader, too."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3881 on: March 20, 2018, 11:44:42 PM »
Trump may believe that being president gives him immunity from prosecution, but the courts say that that is not the case:

Title: "Judge rules Trump must face defamation lawsuit from ex-'Apprentice' contestant"

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/379345-judge-denies-trump-immunity-rules-he-must-face-defamation

Extract: "A Manhattan Supreme Court judge has ruled that President Trump's job in the White House does not give him immunity from a defamation lawsuit filed against him by former "Apprentice" contestant Summer Zervos.

“In Clinton v Jones the United States Supreme Court held that a sitting president is not immune from being sued in federal court for unofficial acts,” Justice Jennifer Schecter wrote in a ruling released Tuesday, according to the New York Post."
― Leon C. Megginson

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3882 on: March 21, 2018, 05:56:07 AM »
Putative soybean tariffs against USA in China. That'll leave a mark.

Chuck Grassley and the big ag states will try head this one off. Watch the Farm Bureau line up behind em. Too many votes there, so Trump did a deal for corn ethanol with Grassley earlier. But for this one he's got to throw China a bone.

Lets see what happens, he is silly enuf to up the ante with China in trade war, like he did with europe on cars. China won't blink, and the farmers will scream.

http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1094425.shtml

sidd

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3883 on: March 21, 2018, 09:15:52 AM »

Because first of all, a free market isn't possible when concentrated wealth has its thumb on the scale (both fists would be more correct). Furthermore, it is my firm belief that the current set-up cannot be greenified. We can't have our cake and eat it, not with a large percentage of the population forced in a treadmill to work for concentrated wealth, and barely have anything left to live a peaceful life and develop the wisdom required for meaningful change.

I want to push back a bit on this issue, with reason and rational thought :

Concentrated wealth seeks more wealth, which means it should seek out lowest cost solutions for things like energy as well. Which is what a free market also prefers.
So in the end, if solar is cheaper than nat gas or coal powered electricity (which it is right now in the South West US) then regardless of if we have a free market or 'concentrated wealth', solar will win.
Same thing with wind power in the Dakota's and in Europe.

So I don't see any Cold War or 'concentrated wealth' being any factor in fighting AGW.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 09:25:02 AM by Rob Dekker »
Let's not waste either.

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3884 on: March 21, 2018, 09:38:37 AM »
Extremists both from the left and the right gather around Putin and Trump.

This is not a partisan issue. We must stand up against extremism, and let reason and rational thought prevail.

That's why a liberal like me and a moderate Republican like McCain sometimes agree :

« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 09:59:30 AM by Rob Dekker »
Let's not waste either.

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3885 on: March 21, 2018, 10:12:50 AM »
Let's not waste either.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3886 on: March 21, 2018, 12:21:07 PM »
A week ago I wrote that there was a third possibility as to how "this" whole nightmare of Trump could end.  That UNLIKELY possibility is now gaining a little more possibility.  Still UNLIKELY..... but now with a greater degree of possibility.

I said that Donnie could flee on a trip to a country that the US does not have an extradition agreement with.  Well..... after Donnie's pleasant phone call with his boss (Vladi) yesterday.... it appears there is a good chance of Donnie visiting Russia in "the very near future" (to quote Traitor Don).

With any other person in the US that has occupied the Oval Office.... the thought would be ABSURD.  But we are dealing with a 71 year old sociopath who is now witnessing the walls crumble around him.

Last week I would have put the chances of that happening at less than 5%.  That possibility has now gone up to 20%.  And I will be watching to see (1) if the meeting with Putin is in Russia, (2) see who is going on the trip with Donnie, (3) see how things develop in RussiaGate and SexGate here in the US.

Amazing.... If it turns out the whole "Von Trapp Family" is going to Russia with Donnie.... the possibility will rise further.

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #3887 on: March 21, 2018, 02:04:36 PM »

If the latter came true, there would be no one re-elected.
Good riddance....

Martin Gisser

« Reply #3888 on: March 21, 2018, 03:21:06 PM »
OMFG... U.S.A. now looking like late communist Romania under the leadership of Nicolae Ceausescu, Titan of the Carpathians.

So I thought yesterdays event in the WH rose garden was gross, all the stooges slathering The Donald with adulation.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2017/12/20/the-rose-garden-celebrations-of-trump-and-some-tax-thing-ranked/

http://edition.cnn.com/videos/politics/2017/12/20/donald-trump-lavished-praise-tax-bill-passage-orig-allee.cnn/video/playlists/president-trumps-tax-reform/

And now the creepy Pence showing his grandmastery of asskissing, after hearing the Lord's Prayer.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mike-pence-cabinet-speech-to-trump_us_5a3b637de4b06d1621b1c282
https://www.rawstory.com/2017/12/sent-him-knee-pads-for-christmas-internet-hilariously-roasts-mike-pences-ass-kissing-cabinet-speech-to-trump/

-------------------------
P.S.:
Some material for the Pence, McConnell et al.:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolae_Ceau%C8%99escu%27s_cult_of_personality
The media used the expression "golden era of Ceaușescu" and a plethora of fomulaic appellations such as "guarantor of the nation's progress and independence" and "visionary architect of the nation's future". Dan Ionescu, a writer for Radio Free Europe compiled a list of epithets for Ceaușescu that were used by Romanian writers. They included "architect", "celestial body" (Mihai Beniuc), "demiurge", "secular god" (Corneliu Vadim Tudor), "fir tree", "Prince Charming" (Ion Manole), "genius", "saint" (Eugen Barbu), "miracle", "morning star" (Vasile Andronache), "navigator" (Victor Nistea), "saviour" (Niculae Stoian), "sun" (Alexandru Andriţoiu), "titan" (Ion Potopin) and "visionary" (Viorel Cozma). He was most commonly described as the Conducător, or "the leader."

And now: Ivanka Trump in the footsteps of Elena Ceaușescu. No Kidding...

http://time.com/5207369/ivanka-trump-scientist-meme/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elena_Ceau%C8%99escu

After graduating from primary school in her village and moving to Bucharest, Ceaușescu attempted to continue her education through night courses, but was expelled after being caught cheating.[11] As such, her formal education was minimal. Despite this, during the communist period she was promoted as a scientist, and was also awarded a PhD in chemistry.
[...]
Most respected academic institutions and universities in the West refused to acknowledge her alleged academic merit.[15] She was made a member of the Illinois Academy of Sciences. Ceaușescu later responded by saying that she never heard of Illinois and made an antisemitic remark about the President of the Academy of Sciences at the time, the chemist Emanuel Merdinger. She allegedly obtained her awards with money, instead of merit.[15]
[...]
In summary, to quote from an article on plagiarism in the leading scientific journal Nature:

Elena Ceauşescu did not have a BSc, but the power of her husband Nicolae – Romania's dictator until communism fell – still made sure that the University of Bucharest awarded her a PhD in chemistry. The contents of her many scientific papers were penned by others.[17]

She was sometimes nicknamed "Codoi", referring to her alleged mispronunciation of the name of the chemical compound CO2 (C for carbon, O for oxygen, and "doi" being Romanian for "two"). [...] Contributing to the humorous effect, "codoi" is an actual word in Romanian, meaning "big tail".[22]

Call the Romanian Mint Rubbing Association!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 03:29:42 PM by Martin Gisser »

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3889 on: March 21, 2018, 04:23:15 PM »
Denounced by His Party as a Nazi, Arthur Jones Wins Illinois G.O.P. Congressional Primary

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/20/us/politics/arthur-jones-illinois.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

The Illinois Republican Party has sought to distance itself from Mr. Jones in recent weeks, blanketing the district with campaign fliers and robocalls urging voters to “stop Illinois Nazis,” according to a robocall script provided by the party. Mr. Jones said he had received three robocalls himself.

Arthur Jones is not a real Republican — he is a Nazi whose disgusting, bigoted views have no place in our nation’s discourse,” Tim Schneider, the Illinois Republican Party chairman, said in a statement.

So.... I guess a "real Republican" in Congress can't be a "disgusting, bigoted, Nazi"...... but their own person in the Oval Office CAN BE A DISGUSTING, MASOGINISTIC, LYING, BIGOTED TRAITOR.

Funny how that works out....

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3890 on: March 21, 2018, 04:23:22 PM »
The linked article indicates that one of Trump's trusted inner circle is rapidly leaking information to the press in order to convey the dysfunction within the WH.

Title: "A stunning leak rattles Trump and his aides"

https://www.axios.com/white-house-leak-trump-putin-call-congratulations-53c68b0d-7e3f-4211-9816-fd3c24e927dd.html

Extract: "One of the most startling leaks — and stunning revelations — of this whole administration has left President Trump and his senior staff furious and rattled. The Washington Post reports in its lead story: "Trump did not follow specific warnings from his national security advisers [yesterday] when he congratulated ... Putin on his reelection — including a section in his briefing materials in all-capital letters stating 'DO NOT CONGRATULATE.'"

Why it matters: The speed and sensitivity of the leak prompted immediate finger-pointing within the administration, as aides reeled from a leak that could only have come from a small group of people, each of whom is trusted with sensitive national secrets."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3891 on: March 21, 2018, 06:25:49 PM »
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of Team Trump and what Constitutional Crises that might ensue?

Title: "The 4 Types Of Constitutional Crises"

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/constitutional-crisis/

Extract: "And which ones are most likely to come up during Trump’s presidency.

1. The Constitution doesn’t say what to do.

Trump, for his part, has talked a lot about terrorist attacks, even suggesting that the media might be covering them up. Given presidents’ history of using crises and threats to shore up their emergency powers, it’s easy to imagine that in the wake of a terrorist attack or war, Trump might enact policies that would lead Congress or the courts to challenge whether he had the authority to take those actions. That would be a constitutional crisis.

2. The Constitution’s meaning is in question.

Another possible crisis that would fall into this category: impeachment. It doesn’t come up all that often, but one source of constitutional confusion is the impeachment clause in Article II, Section 4, which states, “The President, Vice President and all civil officers of the United States, shall be removed from office on impeachment for, and conviction of, treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors.” What are “high crimes and misdemeanors?” The nation debated this during the Clinton impeachment but didn’t really get any closer to a definition. Since there’s little agreement about the conditions under which a president can be removed from office, we might be in for a constitutional crisis if the House attempts to initiate the impeachment process. Then again, maybe not. The criteria are murky, but the process for removal is clear: If the House drafts articles of impeachment and the Senate votes to convict, the president is out. If he refuses to leave, however, that would certainly spark a constitutional crisis.

3. The Constitution tells us what to do, but it’s not politically feasible.

However, other scenarios might create a similar dilemma. There has been a lot of talk about the 25th amendment, which allows other governing officials to remove the president and put the vice president in charge. Like most of the Constitution, there’s some room for interpretation, but this kind of removal is definitely established in the text. It’s possible to imagine a situation in which the Cabinet decides this is the best course of action but faces hurdles in selling it to the millions of voters who chose Trump in November, sparking a crisis.

4. Institutions themselves fail.

The last type of constitutional crisis — when different parts or branches of government are at loggerheads — might be the one we are most likely to see during Trump’s administration. If Trump continues to strain democratic norms and push political boundaries, Congress, the courts or even members of his own administration could push back. Those conflicts could be resolved deliberately and thoughtfully, with an eye toward what the founders would do. Or not."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3892 on: March 21, 2018, 06:32:58 PM »
Donald, if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen:

Title: "The pressure on Donald Trump is reaching crushing proportions"

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/21/politics/trump-pressure-cooker/index.html

Extract: "The White House is always a pressure cooker for any president. But, rarely does a president operate under as much constant pressure as Trump has in his first 14 months in office. And there's little question that the events of the past week have turned the pressure up to brain-busting proportions.

What happens when the pressure gets too much to handle? You need a release. And what is Trump's release? Yes, Twitter. And, right on cue, we've had a series of tweets over the past few days in which Trump has begun a personal assault against Mueller -- insisting that the Russia probe should have never started and suggesting that Mueller has 13 Democrats on his team. (He doesn't.)"
― Leon C. Megginson

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3893 on: March 21, 2018, 06:55:55 PM »
What happens when the pressure gets too much to handle? You need a release. And what is Trump's release? Yes, Twitter. And, right on cue, we've had a series of tweets over the past few days in which Trump has begun a personal assault against Mueller -- insisting that the Russia probe should have never started and suggesting that Mueller has 13 Democrats on his team. (He doesn't.)"

That was 13 *hardened* Democrats, according to Trump
Makes me want to call myself a Hardened Democrat, too.  ;-)

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3894 on: March 21, 2018, 08:08:17 PM »
A)  Tennessee

PPP poll: Dem leads by 5 points in Tennessee Senate race

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/379482-ppp-poll-dem-leads-by-5-points-in-tennessee-senate-race

It's only March....so Marsha Blackburn isn't sweating......YET...

B)  Nevada

New poll finds health care a key issue for Nevada voters, low approval ratings for Trump, Heller

https://thenevadaindependent.com/article/new-poll-finds-health-care-is-a-key-issue-for-nevada-voters-low-approval-ratings-for-trump-heller

C)  Florida

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/elections/

Republican Governor Rick Scott behind current Democratic senator Nelson by 5

« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 09:40:47 PM by Buddy »

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #3895 on: March 21, 2018, 08:09:32 PM »
Not sure about the "hardened", I'd prefer "forged" due to the lumps I've survived at the hands of  TPTB's gestapo.

Since 13 is apparently incorrect, can anyone provide a verifiable number?
Terry

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3896 on: March 21, 2018, 08:40:19 PM »
CNN Poll: Most Americans think National Enquirer is covering for Trump

http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/02/media/poll-national-enquirer-donald-trump/index.html

Someone by the name of David Pecker covering for Trump.  You just can't make this kind of stuff up.  Incredible...... :)

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3897 on: March 21, 2018, 09:38:16 PM »
The article makes the case that many Trump supporters would prefer a fascist regime:

Title: "Many Trump voters are willing to dump democracy: Can our republic survive this?"

https://www.salon.com/2018/03/21/many-trump-voters-are-willing-to-dump-democracy-can-our-republic-survive-this/

Extract: "Authors discuss new report: One-third of Trump voters want a "strong leader" who doesn't have to face elections

Trump is, in fact, a clumsy authoritarian, which is one of the things preventing him from implementing a full-on fascist regime."
― Leon C. Megginson

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3898 on: March 22, 2018, 12:13:42 AM »
Holy shit, he's going there: trade war with China

"The president may target more than 100 products from China ..."

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/379625-trump-will-announce-crack-down-on-chinas-trade-practices-on-thursday

sidd

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3899 on: March 22, 2018, 12:38:15 AM »
Holy shit, he's going there: trade war with China

"The president may target more than 100 products from China ..."

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/379625-trump-will-announce-crack-down-on-chinas-trade-practices-on-thursday

sidd

I think Trump does whatever some seemingly-trustworthy person suggests.  Trump's brand-new trade advisor is Peter Navarro, author of "Death by China: Confronting the Dragon – A Global Call to Action"

Trump may not have considered that this move could carry personal costs.  China handed Trump a number of trademarks for use in China, which can be revoked:

Trump Adds More Trademarks in China
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/13/business/trump-china-trademarks.html

"President Trump is poised to add six new trademarks to his expanding portfolio in China, in sectors including veterinary services and construction, potentially renewing concerns about his possible conflicts of interest."