Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Trump  (Read 1474661 times)

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 120
  • Likes Given: 119
Re: The Trump Presidency (was "Presidential Poll")
« Reply #3900 on: March 22, 2018, 05:02:34 AM »
This is our planet. This is our time.
Let's not waste either.

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
Let's not waste either.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
« Reply #3902 on: March 22, 2018, 05:31:37 PM »
I think that there is little doubt that the Chinese will hit back on Trump's new $50 billion of tariffs against China.  Needless to say, trade wars contributed to causing the Great Depression:

Title: "Stocks Tumble, Bonds Gain as Trade Tensions Rise: Markets Wrap"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-21/asian-stocks-face-mixed-start-dollar-sinks-on-fed-markets-wrap

Extract: "U.S. stocks tumbled and Treasuries rallied as investors shifted focus from the Federal Reserve to the threat of an escalating trade war with China that has the potential to disrupt global growth.

Major U.S. equity benchmarks fell by more than 1 percent, with technology-heavy gauges slumping almost 2 percent. President Donald Trump ordered about $50 billion of tariffs against China, sparking speculation that the Asian nation will hit back."
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #3903 on: March 22, 2018, 06:15:04 PM »
Good thing someone is in the Oval Office isn't going to be in court for the next XX months....

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/7fa0b076-bae1-396c-9897-27a9d8456bfe/ss_summons-issued-to-trump-in.html

« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 09:00:02 PM by Buddy »
FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3904 on: March 23, 2018, 12:08:25 AM »
As Bolton is a hawk this can be viewed as a turn towards the road to possible war:

Title: "McMaster out, Bolton in as National Security Adviser"

https://www.axios.com/report-mcmaster-out-bolton-in-as-national-security-adviser-1521757602-4616bd58-81e0-4f21-ba8d-b3489e388f2d.html

Extract: "H.R. McMaster plans to resign and will be replaced as national security adviser by former U.N. ambassador John Bolton. The White House said McMaster's departure had been under discussion for some time and that the process was sped up to end speculation about the role. McMaster will stay on until mid-April."
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #3905 on: March 23, 2018, 12:51:22 AM »
As Bolton is a hawk this can be viewed as a turn towards the road to possible war:

Title: "McMaster out, Bolton in as National Security Adviser"

https://www.axios.com/report-mcmaster-out-bolton-in-as-national-security-adviser-1521757602-4616bd58-81e0-4f21-ba8d-b3489e388f2d.html

Extract: "H.R. McMaster plans to resign and will be replaced as national security adviser by former U.N. ambassador John Bolton. The White House said McMaster's departure had been under discussion for some time and that the process was sped up to end speculation about the role. McMaster will stay on until mid-April."

I had the huge pleasure of informing Louise Frechette that her nemesis John Bolton, who had cost her her Deputy Secretary-General position at the UN, had resigned from from his own appointed position prior to losing a Senatorial confirmation.
She damn near broke out in a dance.

A bad day for John Bolton is a good day for the world.
Terry

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3907 on: March 23, 2018, 03:16:48 AM »
China retaliates.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-22/china-plans-reciprocal-tariffs-on-3-billion-of-u-s-imports

sidd

Cheered on by Corporate Democrat Chuck Schumer, according to the same link.
Seems as though Trump, the GOP and a least some of the Democratic leadership are on board for a trade war.

It's a good thing that the US has paid off it's outstanding debts, shored up her manufacturing capacity, and can now easily shoulder any blows that it may need to absorb.
Terry

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3908 on: March 23, 2018, 03:30:45 AM »
1). I think you can now "book" S&P 1,800 - 2,000 by this fall

2). I won't have to watch FOX News any more.  They have now all been hired by the White House.  Steve Doucshey for Secretary of State?  😳

3). Mercers are in trouble.  I'll post the Ari Melber video tomorrow of his show tonight..... I knew this was coming. 

4). I hope some Republicans have some big kahonies... 'cause they are going to need them.

Incredible.  Hard to believe anyone supports Trump.  My dead cat could do better.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3909 on: March 23, 2018, 04:34:42 AM »
Bolton ? The Mustache of Militancy again walks tall like a yeti in the Halls of Power ? (in Hunter Thompson's expressive phrase)

Something tells me he will be fired too. I think Trump is, quite correctly from his point of view, playing this like a TV show. After all, that's what he knows.

He can't fire em unless he hires them first ...

sudd

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 185
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #3910 on: March 23, 2018, 07:43:46 AM »
Buddy, the Republican party is a party that is going to die anyway. That 50% of Americans that voted for the republicans are mainly white. They live in the rural area's, they are old, poor, and have few children. White Americans will be a minority soon. This is the last fight of wounded animal.

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #3911 on: March 23, 2018, 12:45:46 PM »
Buddy, the Republican party is a party that is going to die anyway. That 50% of Americans that voted for the republicans are mainly white. They live in the rural area's, they are old, poor, and have few children. White Americans will be a minority soon. This is the last fight of wounded animal.

It’s true that the GOP is facing demographic challenges.  Young people, especially women, favor Democrats by outsize margins, and they will be an increasingly larger share of the electorate over each successive cycle.

But whites won’t be a majority minority until around mid-century.  And Silents+Boomers together are a large bloc, they turn out in large numbers to vote and lean strongly conservative.  Young people have terrible turnout.

The poorest demographics voted for Hillary Clinton, not Donald Trump.  The GOP base is increasingly fueled by white grievance and loss of place to the “other,” not economic reasons.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3912 on: March 23, 2018, 02:28:31 PM »
MISSING IN ACTION...

Where is "Svetlana" Huckabee...?

https://shareblue.com/sarah-huckabee-sanders-hides-from-press/

Yes....where is the FAKE CHRISTIAN LIAR?  Has she run out of lies for Traitor Trump? 

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3913 on: March 23, 2018, 02:43:51 PM »
One thing to keep in mind with all the "salacious" stuff on Trump:  Keith Schuller......Trumps longtime "body man" was with him most of the time.  I expect Mueller to FRY Keith Schuller if he doesn't come clean on Trump.

Boy....Donnie has really dug his own grave..... and there are a lot of people surrounding him (Keith Schuller....Hope Hicks...etc) that will want to save their sorry asses.

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3914 on: March 23, 2018, 08:22:42 PM »
Just like you buddy, time to leave the ship. It's sinking. You can jump out together with Trump.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #3915 on: March 23, 2018, 08:25:15 PM »
This matters - really matters - to just about everybody.Why?
- Tax cuts starting now increase the Government deficit - by lots,
- Trump has signed the spending bill that also increases the deficit - by lots,
- The Fed is reversing QE by dumping US Treasuries on the market.
- The Government will need to borrow loads of extra dosh this year because of the above.
- Slack demand from foreign (and domestic?) buyers will ramp up effective interest rates on new debt issued.

China Signals It Could Ease Treasury Purchases to Counter Trump

China’s ambassador to the U.S. wouldn’t rule out the possibility of the Asian nation scaling back purchases of Treasuries in response to tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump.

“We are looking at all options,” Ambassador Cui Tiankai told Bloomberg Television, when asked whether China would consider reduced purchases of U.S. Treasuries. “That’s why we believe any unilateral and protectionist move would hurt everybody, including the United States itself. It would certainly hurt the daily life of American middle-class people, and the American companies, and the financial markets.”

China is America’s biggest foreign creditor. It held $1.17 trillion in Treasuries as of January, or about 19 percent of all foreign holdings of U.S. government securities.

The U.S. can ill-afford to see weaker demand for its debt from its major buyers. With budget deficits rising in coming years and tax cuts approved in December expected to hurt revenue, the Treasury has to sell more securities to pay the government’s expenses. The Federal Reserve is already scaling back purchases of Treasuries as it gradually reduces its $4.4 trillion balance sheet.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3916 on: March 23, 2018, 11:26:01 PM »
gerontocrat

When and why did it start?

Was it Johnson fighting for the MIC so he wouldn't end up like his predecessor?
Was it Nixon dumping the gold standard because he couldn't pay for the Vietnamese war?
Was it Reagan, whose policies brought deflation, until he threw all the money he could print at it.
How about Shrub, who had some quote about Reagan teaching us that that debt didn't matter.
Obama, who inherited Baby Bush's Bailouts, but did nothing to stem the flow.
Trump, who may feel that he should get his time playing in the sand box too.

I think we're seeing the end of the Petro-Dollar. Lots of pain to come, even if the MIC stays in it's box.

Why is Putin bad while MbS is just seen as a friendly despot who tortures his relatives, starves the Yemeni, visits Washington and buy's American Weapons?
Terry

Archimid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 899
  • Likes Given: 206
« Reply #3917 on: March 24, 2018, 01:53:39 AM »
John R Bolton. National Security Adviser. There can't possibly be a worse choice. He was one of the architects of a war entered under deception and killed millions. The whole world is less safe because of that freaking war.
I am an energy reservoir seemingly intent on lowering entropy for self preservation.

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3918 on: March 24, 2018, 07:34:55 AM »
The Ballot is stronger than the Bullet — Abraham Lincoln

Tin soldiers N.R.A. comin’
right here in America
This winter I hear the drummin’
seventeen dead in Florida

Gotta get down to it
guns are cutting us down
shoulda been done long ago.
What if you knew her, and
found her dead on the ground?
How can you run when you know?

Tin soldiers N.R.A. comin’
right here in America
This winter I hear the drummin’
seventeen dead in Florida
twenty-six dead in Sandy Hook
nine dead in church in Charleston
twenty-six dead at church in Texas
thirteen dead in Columbine
fifty-eight dead in Las Vegas … how many more?

From Tamino :
https://tamino.wordpress.com/2018/03/18/the-ballot-is-stronger-than-the-bullet-abraham-lincoln/

Tomorrow there will be nation-wide protests in the US against gun violence, and for gun control.

https://marchforourlives.com

Join Us !
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 08:24:49 AM by Rob Dekker »
Let's not waste either.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #3919 on: March 24, 2018, 01:20:22 PM »
When all other strategies are exhausted, there is only simple abuse left. So here goes.

Phart (Fart) - An often audible discharge of intestinal gas.
There are 103 known synonyms, of which Trump is but one.

Suitable ones that attracted my attention include:-

General Colon Bowel barking commands,
message from the interior ,
some asshole behind you talking shit,
voice of the toothless one.

End of abuse. Totally ineffective but personally pleasing.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3920 on: March 24, 2018, 06:28:55 PM »
Marched today in Tampa, Florida, about three hours from Parkland.  The anger is real and visceral.  If the energy translates to November, the Republicans are going to be swept away.

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #3921 on: March 24, 2018, 09:24:25 PM »
Marched today in Tampa, Florida, about three hours from Parkland.  The anger is real and visceral.  If the energy translates to November, the Republicans are going to be swept away.

Thank you, pileus, for participating.  It's heartwarming to see supporters all over the country (and world!) marching.  Maybe these young people are inspiring a new anti-war movement.  We can only hope:

Aerial images from March for Our Lives rallies around the world shows huge turnout
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/03/24/aerial-images-around-world-shows-scope-march-our-lives/455891002/

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #3922 on: March 24, 2018, 09:40:36 PM »
I received a mail from Susan who was also at a rally in Boston. It's great to see the energy is there. Without it nothing can be achieved.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3923 on: March 24, 2018, 09:55:32 PM »

Thank you, pileus, for participating.  It's heartwarming to see supporters all over the country (and world!) marching.  Maybe these young people are inspiring a new anti-war movement.  We can only hope:

Aerial images from March for Our Lives rallies around the world shows huge turnout
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/03/24/aerial-images-around-world-shows-scope-march-our-lives/455891002/

Thanks Steve.

I first marched in 91, right before the Gulf War.  My placard said, “No War for Oil.”  I was young and idealistic, but it felt quixotic, useless.

I am old and cynical now, but today was different.  The energy was tangible, electric.  It feels like it’s going to continue to build, towards something larger. 

The Republicans will do everything in their power to obstruct and and deflect, but that’s what they do.  I have little doubt that the US will be involved in at least one new war before November.

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #3924 on: March 24, 2018, 10:11:15 PM »

Thanks Steve.

I first marched in 91, right before the Gulf War.  My placard said, “No War for Oil.”  I was young and idealistic, but it felt quixotic, useless.

I am old and cynical now, but today was different.  The energy was tangible, electric.  It feels like it’s going to continue to build, towards something larger. 

The Republicans will do everything in their power to obstruct and and deflect, but that’s what they do.  I have little doubt that the US will be involved in at least one new war before November.

I marched against the Gulf War also, in DC.  Wasn't my first or last.  I couldn't make this one, but there will be more.

I'm under no illusion that single efforts will induce change.  Patience and persistence are the order of the day.  After Newtown, many thought there'd be prompt change.  I didn't think so.  But I agree that it feels "this time, it's different."  Some laws are already changing, and momentum is only building.

As for the coming war, I sadly agree with you.  But I expect to march again when it happens.  I won't be alone.  I find such protests invigorating and empowering.

Steve

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3925 on: March 24, 2018, 10:35:44 PM »
Bolton warning from America's finest news source: "North Korea Won’t Be Cakewalk Like Iraq"

"total war with a personality cult ruled by a nuclear-capable despot will be a harrowing commitment"

"as one of the architects of the “ultimately painless and remarkably successful” 2003 Iraq invasion, he knew what he was talking about when it came to planning a massive land campaign in Asia."

"further delays in mobilizing for war with North Korea would inevitably push back the start of the U.S.’s upcoming war with Iran."

https://politics.theonion.com/john-bolton-warns-war-with-north-korea-won-t-be-cakewal-1824031861

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3926 on: March 24, 2018, 10:37:42 PM »
America's finest news source: Kushner welcomed by bin Salman

"You Are The Jewel Of My Collection"

" ... your soft features and perfect alabaster skin have set you in a high place ..."

https://politics.theonion.com/you-are-the-jewel-of-my-collection-says-saudi-prince-1823998718

sidd

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3927 on: March 25, 2018, 06:22:54 AM »
Thank you for marching today !
A movement was born.
A new generation is rising up, and they want REAL CHANGE.

Update, 5 p.m.: Current estimates say that more than 800,000 people participated in the March for Our Lives in the nation’s capital, plus more than 200,000 in New York City, and hundreds of thousands in other cities across the country. A couple thousand of them were in West Palm Beach, FL, where President Donald Trump spent the day hiding out at his golf course.
https://splinternews.com/half-a-million-people-expected-in-dc-for-march-for-our-1824045511

Enough is Enough !
And we are going to vote.

Vote For Our Lives !
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 06:50:48 AM by Rob Dekker »
Let's not waste either.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3928 on: March 25, 2018, 12:36:09 PM »
My first protest march was in Berkeley, California 1969 (Bloody Thursday). My most recent was in Waterloo, Ontario 2009/10 (Peacefully Protesting Proroguing Parliament) - the source of my avatar photo.
Worst was Bloody Thursday - Shotguns, teargas and broken heads

Favorite was probably Peoples Park March II.  - no violence, lots of sex & psychedelics

Clubs are a bitch, teargas is worse, and shotgun pellets hurt even at a distance. DO NOT THROW THE TEARGAS CANISTERS BACK! - they'll cut and burn your hand & the teargas really hurts in an open wound.

Terry

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3929 on: March 25, 2018, 11:33:22 PM »
John Bolton is what you'd expect when you've run off all of the Michael Flynns.
Possibly he's what you deserve.

Who are you expecting once Trump has been run out of office?
Pray that he's not who you deserve.

In Canada we traded a Russophilic Dion for a Russophobic Freeland.
We also deserve whatever the future brings.

Terry

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3930 on: March 26, 2018, 08:14:01 AM »
Has anyone been following the polls?
After the last presidential contest there may not be much to be gained from following the pollsters, but if fivethirtyeight is to be believed the marches and Russiagate may not be resonating with the deplorables.

Trump is still down by just over 10% among those likely to vote, but the Democrats are only 5% and a fraction over the Republicans.

How much Republican gerrymandering and voter suppression will skew the results can't be known, but I've heard that Democrats need more like an 8% edge to win.

What do the voters want?
Why can't we offer it to them?

Terry
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/congress-generic-ballot-polls/?ex_cid=irpromo

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3931 on: March 26, 2018, 09:32:58 AM »
If he's only down 10 % he is still doing good. If you look at Hollande in France, he did not even got 5 % of the population behind him, as the president. And it looks like Macron is going the same way.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #3932 on: March 26, 2018, 11:44:36 AM »
what do the voters want ? .. guns and porn ...
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3933 on: March 26, 2018, 11:57:42 AM »
what do the voters want ? .. guns and porn ...

or real healthcare, decent wages, and bringing their sons home?
Terry

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #3934 on: March 26, 2018, 12:07:03 PM »
not if they are voting for Trump ..
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3935 on: March 26, 2018, 01:21:31 PM »
If there is only ONE economist you follow....it should be Robert Schiller.  He is known as a "behavioral economist".  In other words.... he looks CLOSELY at the psychology of the underlying markets that he studies.  He is well known for his study of the US housing market... as well as his call on the "technology bubble".  You ignore him at your own peril.

All significant economic slowdowns or recessions have had a "shock" to the system.  The developing trade war may very well be that shock. 

'It’s just chaos': Nobel Prize-winning economist Robert Shiller warns that an 'economic crisis' is brewing

•Robert Shiller, Nobel prize-winning economist, has warned that growing trade tensions between the United States and China could spark an immediate US economic crisis.
•Shiller says a global trade war could see business adopt a "wait and see" attitude towards business investment.
•Shiller described recent statements from US President Donald Trump as those of "a showman" who "obviously relishes" celebrity.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/af7901a3-e9ff-303f-becb-699fe4778cfa/ss_%27it%E2%80%99s-just-chaos%27%3A-nobel.html

Also....the US stock market has "one foot in the grave" when it comes to a "technical" indicator of the Dow Industrials.  Known as "Dow Theory"....  Dow Theory describes when those technicians are "bullish" or "bearish".  It has not YET put up the "bearish flag", but it is getting very close.  The Dow Transports (a subset of the Dow Industrials) is 30 points from triggering a "sell signal" for those technicians who follow Dow Theory.

Again...I am NOT a "technician".... I rely on fundamentals, but I do NOT ignore the technicals.  And when the fundamentals and the technicals "line up".... the story (whether bullish or bearish) usually comes to fruition.

Pmt111500

« Reply #3936 on: March 26, 2018, 03:41:04 PM »
So, what's this guy Santorum doing in Trumpistan? I hear he wants school shootings with semiautomatic assault weapons to continue? Does he have any children and are they in school?

litesong

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #3937 on: March 26, 2018, 05:54:05 PM »
Santorum......Does he have any children and are they in school?
Santorum will protect children from assault weapons fire with children trained in CPR. First, CPR doesn't help dead children. Second, CPR is next to impossible to administer during rifle fire at 10 feet. Third, you can't administer CPR when you are dead.

Pmt111500

« Reply #3938 on: March 26, 2018, 07:38:00 PM »
Santorum......Does he have any children and are they in school?
Santorum will protect children from assault weapons fire with children trained in CPR. First, CPR doesn't help dead children. Second, CPR is next to impossible to administer during rifle fire at 10 feet. Third, you can't administer CPR when you are dead.

So, he'd be the guy who gets shot in the back while giving mouth to mouth to a dead teenage girl? Ok.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3939 on: March 27, 2018, 02:39:50 PM »
The Trump administration continues to implode....

1) 
They can't fill staff positions.... and Trump is now looking to REHIRE wife abuser Rob Portman.

2)  Trump can't find a top tier lawyer to hire.  In fact....because of Trump's lack of decent PROCESS, he publicly said he was going to hire a lawyer (DiGenova) BEFORE EVER INTERVIEWING HIM. Think about that for a minute.  Incredible.  Now you know why people are so concerned with Trump and North Korea (or Iran).  He has no sense of how to process things and come to reasoned decisions. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-22/john-dowd-resigns-as-trump-s-lead-lawyer-in-mueller-probe

3)  Trump now has a "war cabinet" in place with John Bolton and Mike Pompeo in place.  Mattis is the only grown up who will provide any kind of "firewall" to Trump's bad decisions regarding military actions.  That is why I have said from day one.... if Mattis were to go, we're in DEEP SHIT.

https://www.vox.com/world/2018/3/23/17155796/john-bolton-trump-mike-pompeo-war-cabinet

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3940 on: March 27, 2018, 04:03:11 PM »
Mr. Speaker, the resistance is coming for your seat:

Title: "Paul Ryan Should Be Safe in November. He Isn't."

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-03-27/paul-ryan-isn-t-safe-from-randy-bryce-challenge-in-november

Extract: "House speakers have lost their seats before."

See also:

Title: "Did the Kochs Contribute $500,000 to Paul Ryan After the GOP Tax Plan Was Passed?"

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/kochs-contributed-ryan-after-tax/

Extract: "Charles and Elizabeth Koch gave nearly half a million dollars to the House Speaker's fundraising committee after passage of the Republican tax bill."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3941 on: March 27, 2018, 04:59:37 PM »
As Trump is 'good friends' with both Putin and MSB, he is likely happy to see OPEC and Russia working together to drive oil prices up for the next 10 to 20 years:

Title: "Exclusive: OPEC, Russia consider 10-20 year oil alliance - Saudi Crown Prince"

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-novartis-gsk/gsk-buys-out-novartis-in-13-billion-consumer-healthcare-shake-up-idUSKBN1H30FK

Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman told Reuters that Riyadh and Moscow were considering extending an alliance on oil curbs that began in January 2017 after oil prices crashed.

“We are working to shift from a year-to-year agreement to a 10-20 year agreement,” the crown prince told Reuters in interview in New York.” We have agreement on the big picture, but not yet on the detail.” "
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3942 on: March 27, 2018, 06:23:16 PM »
The resistance is hoping that if the GOP win a gerrymandering case against the Maryland Democrats, that they could then use such a US Supreme Court ruling to fight GOP gerrymandering across the country:

Title: "Democrats’ Strategy in the Latest Gerrymandering Case: Win by Losing"

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2018/03/democrats-strategy-in-the-latest-gerrymandering-case-win-by-losing/

Extract: "Some Democrats are hoping that the Supreme Court will strike down the Maryland map that favors their party.

On Wednesday, the US Supreme Court will hear a legal challenge to Maryland’s 6th District. The case was brought by a handful of Republican voters in the state, but it’s being argued by a Democratic lawyer, and some left-leaning lawmakers and groups believe that a Republican victory would be the best outcome. If Maryland’s 6th District falls, Democrats would lose a reliable seat in Congress—but they could take the same legal argument that triumphed in Maryland to other states around the country where Republican-friendly gerrymanders are hamstringing Democratic success."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3943 on: March 27, 2018, 06:33:57 PM »
The evidence indicates that Team Trump serve his base first and other Americans second:

Title: "How Trump favored Texas over Puerto Rico"

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/03/27/donald-trump-fema-hurricane-maria-response-480557

Extract: "A POLITICO investigation shows a persistent double standard in the president’s handling of relief efforts for Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Maria."
― Leon C. Megginson

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3944 on: March 27, 2018, 06:35:34 PM »
To "Win by Losing" - The Democratic Party's New Strategy!

Frankly it reeks of Orwellian Newspeak, how progressive!
Terry

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3945 on: March 27, 2018, 06:54:48 PM »
The evidence indicates that Team Trump serve his base first and other Americans second:

Title: "How Trump favored Texas over Puerto Rico"

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/03/27/donald-trump-fema-hurricane-maria-response-480557

Extract: "A POLITICO investigation shows a persistent double standard in the president’s handling of relief efforts for Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Maria."

This can't be the same Trump that you were lauding for closing the Russian Consulate in Seattle?

That must have been the Trump that was finally showing his mettle when he sent all those rockets into Syria, Right?
The one who stood up to the mighty North Koreans after blowing a big hole in Afghanistan with the biggest conventional bomb ever used in anger. Right?

This Trump loves his Texans. That Trump hates Asians, Syrians and Afghanis.
We hate the Trump who loves Texans. We love the Trump who hates Asians et al.

or is it the other way around?

Terry

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3946 on: March 27, 2018, 07:07:37 PM »
The resistance is hoping that if the GOP win a gerrymandering case against the Maryland Democrats, that they could then use such a US Supreme Court ruling to fight GOP gerrymandering across the country:

Title: "Democrats’ Strategy in the Latest Gerrymandering Case: Win by Losing"

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2018/03/democrats-strategy-in-the-latest-gerrymandering-case-win-by-losing/

Just as Ralph Nader's fight for consumer rights in the 1970's eventually lead to the GOP gains from Citizens United; hopefully a Democratic loss regarding gerrymandering in Maryland could help the resistance fight the GOP in future elections, by eliminating gerrymandering across the nation:

Title: "How American Corporations Had A 'Hidden' Civil Rights Movement"

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/26/596989664/how-american-corporations-had-a-hidden-civil-rights-movement

Extract: "Law professor Adam Winkler says that in the past 200 years, businesses have gone to court claiming constitutional rights that were originally intended for people. His new book is We the Corporations.

… a key turning point in this process is a surprising case brought by Ralph Nader in the 1970s. And Ralph Nader, on behalf of consumers, takes a case to the Supreme Court challenging a ban on pharmacists advertising drug prices. And he's trying to help consumers so that they can comparison shop and get the cheapest prices. And his case becomes a landmark victory in the Supreme Court where the Supreme Court says the First Amendment protects the rights of consumers - of the listeners of speech not just the rights of the speaker. And indeed, the speaker's identity doesn't matter. That same theory of the First Amendment would be adopted by Citizens United, and other courts since then, saying that the identity of the corporate speaker in election campaigns is irrelevant. All that matters is whether the speech itself is valuable to the listeners or consumers. So in some ways, Ralph Nader gave us Citizens United."
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3947 on: March 28, 2018, 03:51:45 AM »
North Korea leader's trip to China is a not so subtle message to Traitor Donnie.  Donnie has railed against Nort Korea and threatened them.... and then Donnie just appointed Bolten to his cabinet.  The same John Bolten that has said the US should make a preemptive strike on North Korea.

Well... China basically said to the US:  "I see your bet and RAISE you."

The stakes in North Korea are now higher than before....

Susan Anderson

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 279
« Reply #3948 on: March 28, 2018, 04:38:26 AM »
Here's Elizabeth Warren today:

If you believed everything you read on the internet, you’d know that I was a serial killer who participated in pagan rituals to honor the Gods of Wind and Fire.

And if you followed all of the bots coming from who-knows-where on Twitter, you’d think that these stories were breaking news at the New York Times.

The same right-wing smear machine that plastered the internet with fake news and alternative facts about Hillary Clinton has now turned to our 2018 elections. These stories that snake through the sewer of the internet have popped up all over Facebook, Twitter, and Google over the past year – and they’re getting worse.

Credible news sources don’t debunk them. Social media sites don’t control them. And Republicans don’t denounce them.

Please, people, consider that you might be wrong. Stop being part of the problem. Good people need to get together to solve problems, not form circular firing squads and blame victims. Democrats today have little or no power. We need help, not hindrance. Stop ignoring the real perps.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3949 on: March 28, 2018, 05:23:43 AM »
China got his back. On page 2

Xi: "No matter how the international and regional situation changes, we will both firmly grasp the global development trend and the overall situation of the China-DPRK relationship, strengthen our high-level exchanges, deepen our strategic communication, expand our exchanges and cooperation, and benefit the people of both countries and the people of all countries,"

http://en.people.cn/n3/2018/0328/c90000-9442453.html

sidd