Stein
6 (13.6%)
Trump
1 (2.3%)
Not going to vote / going to spoil ballot
4 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Voting closed: November 26, 2016, 07:11:49 AM

Author Topic: The Trump Presidency  (Read 429598 times)

etienne

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
    • About energy
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The Trump Presidency (was "Presidential Poll")
« Reply #4500 on: July 05, 2018, 11:20:15 PM »
Maybe he won't nominate anybody, or he has a friend looking for a nice little job... It's also a way to make sure that nothing happens. Anyway, it's a good news.

jacksmith4tx

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Photon mine
  • Liked: 25
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #4501 on: July 06, 2018, 12:00:09 AM »
Trump's base is outraged about this. The most extreme websites are posting Pruitt tributes and plotting revenge. Crazy world, maybe even a bit scary too.
Science is a thought process, technology will change reality.

Susan Anderson

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 33
  • Likes Given: 154
« Reply #4502 on: July 06, 2018, 12:03:47 AM »
Deputy Director Wheeler, who inherits the post, has been doing the bidding of coal, oil, and other industry for over a decade.

I'm not sure I don't prefer the scandal, which at least made it obvious what is going on. And, Wheeler inherits the secrecy booth, etc., so he will still be able to hide his collaboration with earth's for-profit destroyers.

Buddy

• ASIF Governor
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #4503 on: July 06, 2018, 01:39:55 PM »
Apparently using FOX News as his only outlet for speaking to the press wasn’t enough for Traitor Trump.  He has now hired Bill Shine as the communications director for Trumps disinformation campaign.  Shine used to be president of FOX News..... and was one of the people responsible for allowing much of the sexual misconduct at FOX.

So now Donnie has one of Sean Hannity’s best buddies inside the White House.  I wonder when the announcement will come that FOX is now the “official news channel” of the White House?

Just think ..... Bill Shine was too slimy even for FOX news ..... but he is just fine for Traitor Trump's cabinet. 

FOX News:  “Where truth and journalism are dead.”
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 03:03:50 PM by Buddy »
FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

SteveMDFP

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 75
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #4504 on: July 06, 2018, 03:03:52 PM »
Apparently using FOX News as his only outlet for speaking to the press wasn’t enough for Traitor Trump.  He has now hired Bill Shine as the communications director for Trumps disinformation campaign.  Shine used to be president of FOX News..... and was one of the people responsible for allowing much of the sexual misconduct at FOX.

So now Donnie has one of Sean Hannity’s best buddies inside the White House.  I wonder when the announcement will come that FOX is now the “official news channel” of the White House?

FOX News:  “Where truth and journalism are dead.”

Fox News Channel is a malignant propaganda outlet.
It's also a fairly successful business model.
Feed right-wing propaganda to the Archie Bunkers of America, reinforcing their xenophobia, bigotry, and intolerance.  There isn't much competition on the cable networks for this perspective.

I think the only effective counter will be organized, publicized boycotts of the advertisers on the channel.

litesong

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #4505 on: July 06, 2018, 05:49:51 PM »
Traitor Trump.....hired Bill Shine as the communications director for Trumps disinformation campaign.  Shine used to be president of FOX News..... and was one of the people responsible for allowing much of the sexual misconduct at FOX.......FOX News:  “Where truth and journalism are dead.”
Hey, hey, hey...... Now ever'thang you's guys says is da twuth. B-b-b-ut, "don'T rump" leads ya all wit' 3000+ lies. PLUS.... hugess numbers of lie-oriented "mericans" jes dote on "don'T rump" propaganda & beliefs awl his traddle.

Martin Gisser

• ASIF Middle Class
  • alias Mars Joh. P. Florifulgurator
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 54
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #4506 on: July 06, 2018, 07:09:49 PM »
Fox News was conceived during Nixon's presidency:

Since its launch in 1996, Fox News has rocketed to dominance in the cable wars. But Roger Ailes' "fair and balanced" alternative to what he calls the liberal bias of other news outlets was far from an overnight success. In fact, according to documents obtained by Gawker, his idea for a conservative news source was conceived in 1970, when Ailes worked as a media consultant for then-President Richard Nixon. (...)
(...)
According to Gawker, the concept was first outlined in a 1970 memo titled "A Plan for Putting the GOP on TV News." Gawker's John Cook found the document "buried deep within the Richard Nixon Presidential Library." In it, the author proposes sidestepping the "prejudices of network news" to get "pro-administration," pro-Republican video directly to local TV stations.

(...) (...)
http://theweek.com/articles/483558/did-fox-news-originate-nixon-white-house 2011

Mr. Ailes went on to help Ronald Reagan, George H. W. Bush and countless other Republican politicians master the medium. But as significant as what Mr. Ailes taught Nixon is what Nixon taught Mr. Ailes: the political power of popular resentment against a liberal cultural elite.

Ever since his first race for Congress in 1946, Nixon had succeeded in politics by portraying himself as the voice of the “forgotten Americans,” the ordinary, hard-working Joes who were stifled by regulations and taxes imposed by Washington. He made it his mission to change the widespread reputation of the Republican Party as “the party of big business and privilege.” He did so over the years by mobilizing popular rage against various figures of purportedly undeserved power and influence: Washington bureaucrats, college professors, Supreme Court justices, student protesters and, not least, the news media.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/18/opinion/roger-ailes-richard-nixon-fox-news.html

"The universe is irrelevant for all practical purposes, so better forget about being thrown into it." --Florifulgurator

mostly_lurking

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #4507 on: July 08, 2018, 08:01:57 AM »

It's also a fairly successful business model.
Feed right-wing propaganda to the Archie Bunkers of America, reinforcing their xenophobia, bigotry, and intolerance.  There isn't much competition on the cable networks for this perspective.

I think the only effective counter will be organized, publicized boycotts of the advertisers on the channel.

1) That's quite a lot of "Archie Bunkers"
2) They tried boycotting advertisers- it doesn't work. It' all about the bottom line and see point #1

Buddy

• ASIF Governor
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4508 on: July 08, 2018, 02:36:07 PM »
Sorry to see that Traitor Donnie’s World Cup team lost to Croatia in a shootout.  SAD.  Now what will Donnie and his boss talk about when they meet one-on-one?

On a serious note, one thing to look for is whether or not Donnie drags a US interpreter with him into the meeting with Vladimir .... or will Donnie just rely on Putin’s interpreter?  Or will there be no interpreters?

« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 08:34:29 PM by Buddy »

Pmt111500

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #4509 on: July 08, 2018, 09:00:20 PM »
 :-X :-[ :-X , and I'm probably not going to listen this myself.
https://m.soundcloud.com/siriusxmentertainment/tme76181
Amateur observations of Sea Ice since 2003.

Buddy

• ASIF Governor
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4510 on: July 09, 2018, 06:29:54 PM »
Trump’s personal driver of 25 years sues for unpaid overtime.

“SMALL THINGS CAN MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE.”

And by “small”, I don’t mean to the driver.  I mean small to Trump.  I expect this to gain some “traction” ... because this is how Trump AND his policies treat the working man.

Not a good look during an election year.  The garbage is continuing to pile up as the onion is getting peeled back.

Buddy

• ASIF Governor
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4511 on: July 10, 2018, 12:24:38 AM »
The Kavanaugh nomination to the Supreme Court tonight (he will get it) means that Traitor Don is gearing up for a fight in the Supreme Court for his job.  Kavanaugh has said a sitting president should NOT be indictable while he is in office.

Game on Traitor Donnie.

Ben Sasse is really the only Senator that has truly broken ranks from him.  I look for McCain, Flake, and some others to break ranks in coming weeks as more indictments are handed down, and as more information becomes public.

As I said many times .... there is NO WAY that Donnie will volunteer to sit down with Mueller.  NONE.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 03:07:26 PM by Buddy »

Buddy

• ASIF Governor
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4512 on: July 10, 2018, 03:31:11 PM »
Just something to keep an eye on over the next few weeks.  Gallup's poll has what could be a "break" in trend over the last few weeks. 

https://news.gallup.com/poll/203207/trump-job-approval-weekly.aspx

On 6/17 Donnies disapproval number on Gallup was 50% ..... and is now in Gallup's latest WEEKLY POLL his disapproval number is back up to 56%.  This is AT LEAST a short term break in the trend.  Keeping in mind that THE FUNDAMENTALS CAUSE THE CHART  (not the other way around).

We don't know if...

A)  Donnie's immigration policies have caused the change
B)  Cohen looking like he might flip have caused some of it
C)  Donnie's lies coming back to haunt him and show him to be a LIAR
D)  Some combination of those....or other FUNDAMENTAL things?

Donnie has had a host of surrogates on the airwaves lying for him since he got in office ..... and Rudy has been lying for him almost nonstop over the past couple of months.  So it will be interesting to see if the following things impact his poll numbers going forward...

1)  Traitor Don's supreme court nomination
2)  What if Cohen flips in the coming weeks
3)  Continuation of fatally flawed immigration policies and execution of those policies
4)  Continue to discover that Donnie has lied his ass off his first 16 months in office (I know....SHOCKING).

Of course..... the decisions that Sean Donnie makes over the coming weeks will be key. ;)

https://news.gallup.com/poll/203207/trump-job-approval-weekly.aspx
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 05:48:06 PM by Buddy »

Lurk

• ASIF Upper Class
  • Neven's Side Kick (apparently)
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 70
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #4513 on: July 10, 2018, 04:50:26 PM »
This might keep people busy and happy enough for a while.

What if trump has been a Russian asset since 1987?
A plausible theory of mind-boggling collusion.
By Jonathan Chait
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/07/trump-putin-russia-collusion.html

Enjoy.

Did you know the last time there was a Republican President and the GOP controlled both houses of Congress at the same time was during Herbert Hoover's term 1929-1933. He was really big on Tariffs too, had done a lot of profitable business in Russia and he was a long time successful millionaire businessman and "globe trotter". :)

On taking office, Hoover said that "given the chance to go forward with the policies of the last eight years, we shall soon with the help of God, be in sight of the day when poverty will be banished from this nation." Having seen the fruits of prosperity brought by technological progress, many shared Hoover's optimism, and the already bullish stock market climbed even higher on Hoover's accession to the Presidency.

But by 1930, unemployment stood at 8.9%, and many assumed that the United States was just in another recession. But by 1932, unemployment had reached 24.9%, businesses had defaulted on record numbers of loans, and more than 5,000 banks had failed, especially small rural banks. The homeless lived in shantytowns they called Hoovervilles

Hoover blamed Mexicans for the economic downturn, and championed a mass deportation which became known as the Mexican Repatriation program. This forced migration of approximately 500,000 to 2 million people to Mexico continued until 1936, after Hoover had left office. An estimated sixty percent of those deported were birthright citizens. Because the forced movement was based on race, and ignored citizenship, the process is seen as meeting modern standards for ethnic cleansing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Hoover

Ain't life strange?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 05:01:07 PM by ASILurker »
“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” ― Soren Kierkegaard

Buddy

• ASIF Governor
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4514 on: July 10, 2018, 08:37:03 PM »
Who else has committed "charity fraud" that we know of?

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- Former NBA player Kermit Washington has been sentenced to six years in federal prison for spending hundreds of thousands of dollars in charity donations on vacations, shopping sprees and plastic surgery for his girlfriend.

The U.S. attorney's office said in a news release that the 66-year-old Las Vegas man was also ordered Monday to pay nearly $970,000 in restitution after pleading guilty in November to making a false statement in a tax return and aggravated identity theft.

https://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2018/07/former_nba_player_washington_sentenced_for_charity.html#incart_std

Hmmmmmmmmmm..........

Buddy

• ASIF Governor
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4515 on: July 11, 2018, 04:32:30 AM »
Traitor Don is definitely over the tips of his skiis these days.  With the world economy showing signs of slowing down, Donnie is giving it a nudge off the road by starting a tariff war ... just in time for elections ... and just in time to tank world markets.

Next 3-4 months will be crazy.....

* Donnie’s Korea sharade looks like it is unwinding
* Economy is slowing
* Mueller/Cohen investigations continue to push forward
* Donnie looks like he is going to Helsinki on his hands and knees to meet his boss
* At the same time Donnie is making changes in the DOJ just in case he has to pull the cord on the Mueller investigation (he will)
* US market and many other markets look set to struggle in coming months
* Donnie going to make enemies across the pond .... with what used to be our closest allies.

Other than that ....  just another boring summer trying to keep the US as a democracy.

Susan Anderson

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4516 on: July 11, 2018, 07:32:39 AM »
Nice work if you can get it. This is satire, but things do get worse here every day, and it's clear Kavanaugh will help Trump. I've always thought impeachment a nonstarter and distraction, even though it is 1000% justified with our criminal-in-chief. Kavanaugh will help increase big money in elections, cheating in elections, voter suppression and intimidation, dismantling unions, "religion" in government (though I wouldn't call it Christian: see the Gospels), and all the usual attacks on women and the less privileged.

Reminder: this is satire:

Man Wins “Why Trump Shouldn’t Go to Prison” Essay Contest

By Andy Borowitz July 10, 2018

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—A Washington, D.C., man has won a nationwide essay contest on the topic “Why Donald J. Trump Shouldn’t Go to Prison.”

The man, Brett Kavanaugh, received his award for the winning essay at a ceremony at the White House on Monday night.

Kavanaugh’s essay, which was distributed to the press shortly after he was announced as the winner, reads as follows: “Donald J. Trump should never go to prison because he is the President of the United States and the President of the United States is a very important person in the country. It would look bad if visitors from foreign countries came to the United States and asked, ‘Where is your President?’ and we had to say, ‘He is in prison,’ which in my opinion is another reason Donald J. Trump should not go to prison. For these reasons, if I am ever in a position to keep Donald J. Trump from going to prison, I will do that (keep him from going to prison).”

Shaking Kavanaugh’s hand, Trump heaped praise on him for his “very, very beautiful” essay, calling it “maybe the best essay that has ever been written.”

“I did not personally read it, but Ivanka read it aloud to me, and I thought it was fantastic,” Trump said.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/man-wins-why-trump-shouldnt-go-to-prison-essay-contest

Lurk

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #4517 on: July 11, 2018, 10:02:09 AM »
(smile)
“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” ― Soren Kierkegaard

Pmt111500

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #4518 on: July 11, 2018, 10:53:35 AM »
Nice work if you can get it. This is satire, but things do get worse here every day, and it's clear Kavanaugh will help Trump. I've always thought impeachment a nonstarter and distraction, even though it is 1000% justified with our criminal-in-chief. Kavanaugh will help increase big money in elections, cheating in elections, voter suppression and intimidation, dismantling unions, "religion" in government (though I wouldn't call it Christian: see the Gospels), and all the usual attacks on women and the less privileged.

Reminder: this is satire:

Man Wins “Why Trump Shouldn’t Go to Prison” Essay Contest

By Andy Borowitz July 10, 2018

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—A Washington, D.C., man has won a nationwide essay contest on the topic “Why Donald J. Trump Shouldn’t Go to Prison.”

The man, Brett Kavanaugh, received his award for the winning essay at a ceremony at the White House on Monday night.

Kavanaugh’s essay, which was distributed to the press shortly after he was announced as the winner, reads as follows: “Donald J. Trump should never go to prison because he is the President of the United States and the President of the United States is a very important person in the country. It would look bad if visitors from foreign countries came to the United States and asked, ‘Where is your President?’ and we had to say, ‘He is in prison,’ which in my opinion is another reason Donald J. Trump should not go to prison. For these reasons, if I am ever in a position to keep Donald J. Trump from going to prison, I will do that (keep him from going to prison).”

Shaking Kavanaugh’s hand, Trump heaped praise on him for his “very, very beautiful” essay, calling it “maybe the best essay that has ever been written.”

“I did not personally read it, but Ivanka read it aloud to me, and I thought it was fantastic,” Trump said.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/man-wins-why-trump-shouldnt-go-to-prison-essay-contest

Is this satire?

wili

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 30
  • Likes Given: 221
« Reply #4519 on: July 11, 2018, 01:25:29 PM »
Yes. Borowitz is the paper's satirist.
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

jacksmith4tx

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Photon mine
« Reply #4520 on: July 11, 2018, 01:55:12 PM »
How about a trip down memory lane?
"The “new normal” of American politics is not normal. The Weekly List reminds us of that. On a weekly basis, the List tracks specific news stories representing eroding norms under the current regime. Taken together, they reveal a nation pushed towards authoritarianism, the wielding of unchecked governmental authority by one person or group at the expense of the freedom of those who oppose them."
This is how democracy dies.
https://theweeklylist.org/

Susan Anderson

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4521 on: July 11, 2018, 03:20:05 PM »
@PMT & Wili:

I think P's point was that it is hardly satire. There is no bottom to Trump's provocations. His and his administration's latest two: bullying other countries to advantage infant formula over mother's milk, when research was to be presented showing the latter is generally superior. And pardoning some violent arsonists involved in the leadup to the violent takeover in Oregon by the Bundy's (the father objected to paying 10% for the government services they received).

Lurk

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #4522 on: July 11, 2018, 05:17:43 PM »
How about a trip down memory lane? "The “new normal” of American politics is not normal.

That depends on how good your memory is. Congress has slowly been moving toward these more overtly 'out there' disturbing days for decades. Trump as an individual is simply not that powerful a being. Those who have come before him have laid the ground work in more ways than one. Blaming Trump alone is missing the point entirely and will fail to solve the deeper problems. imo.

jacksmith4tx

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Photon mine
« Reply #4523 on: July 11, 2018, 06:14:08 PM »
How about a trip down memory lane? "The “new normal” of American politics is not normal.

That depends on how good your memory is. Congress has slowly been moving toward these more overtly 'out there' disturbing days for decades. Trump as an individual is simply not that powerful a being. Those who have come before him have laid the ground work in more ways than one. Blaming Trump alone is missing the point entirely and will fail to solve the deeper problems. imo.

My memory goes back to when we had "colored" water fountains and being arrested for protesting the Vietnam war.

Lurk

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #4524 on: July 12, 2018, 07:44:06 AM »
Ah the good ol days. I was thinking more about the last 20-30 years.

Rob Dekker

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 79
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #4525 on: July 12, 2018, 09:58:04 AM »

[sarc on]
Yeah. What could Trump possibly do wrong. He is just one individual. And not powerful a being either. Blaming Trump for his own actions is missing the point.
And Trump can certainly not be blamed for bullying other countries to advantage infant formula over mother's milk.
Everything that Trump does is the fault of prior administrations over the last 20-30 years.
[sarc off]
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 10:16:34 AM by Rob Dekker »
This is our planet. This is our time.
Let's not waste either.

Lurk

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #4526 on: July 12, 2018, 10:13:38 AM »
Oh a straw man. Now where's my matches.

Buddy

• ASIF Governor
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4527 on: July 12, 2018, 02:14:58 PM »
If I were Sean or Donnie ...... I would be worried.  VERY WORRIED.  The FBI may not be QUICK in the work they do, but they don't just roll over.  Once on the scent, they are like pit bulls.

As usual ...... Rachel gives us a history lesson along with the current event.  Today's testimony by Strzok should be interesting...

FBI agent Strzok was an agent involved in uncovering Russian agents who were in the US starting in the early 2000's ..... and US FBI agents tracked and watched those agents for many years before moving on them in 201

If I were Sean .... I would be very, very, worried.  No wonder he has been freaking out.  If I were him, I would make sure that position with RT News is still available ...... he may need it.

And Devon Nunes .... as I said more than a year ago .... TOAST.

The summer is just now heating up ......

AbruptSLR

• ASIF Emperor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 131
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #4528 on: July 12, 2018, 05:19:04 PM »
We haven't seen the end of Bannon's dirty work to promote Trumpism:

Title: "Bannon hosts Europopulists in London ahead of Trump's visit"

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/07/11/bannon-london-trump-populists-714067
Extract: "With London distracted by soccer and Brexit, the president's former strategist has set up shop at a five-star hotel to fuel Europe's surging brand of Trumpism.

A day before President Donald Trump’s arrival here, leaders of Europe’s rough-edged populist movement quietly filed into a five-star hotel in London’s Mayfair district, unnoticed by summer tourists enjoying their clotted cream.

Louis Aliot, a right-wing French politician and boyfriend of the French populist firebrand Marine Le Pen, walked through the lobby to a conference room tucked away behind the restaurant serving afternoon tea. So did Nigel Farage, the right-wing British politician and Brexit mastermind whom the local tabloids say is “banned” by his government from meeting with Trump during his visit.

Ben Harris-Quinney, chairman of a prominent London conservative think tank, lingered by the concierge booth as he discussed ways Trump’s British fans can offer him a warm greeting amid planned protests and a giant inflatable diapered Trump baby set to fly over the city. “We’re trying to tell the story that there is a strong well of support,” said Harris-Quinney.

They had all come to see Trump’s former chief strategist Steve Bannon, who had set up a bare war room, of sorts, in a conference room at the hotel to confer and conspire with leaders of Europe’s surging populist movement. Bannon's goal, he said in a brief interview between meetings, is to help “contextualize Trump” for a European audience that hates him and a fiery tabloid media culture that he believes doesn’t give the American president a fair shake.
It was a reminder that Europe’s version of Trumpism is thriving — from England to France to Italy — even if Trump himself may not make much of a splash when he arrives here Thursday night."
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

Pmt111500

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #4529 on: July 12, 2018, 09:59:34 PM »
The satirist forgets the Swiss and Cypriot accounts, that likely would be quite interesting for this investigation.
 https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/merkel-asks-mueller-if-theres-anything-she-can-do-to-help

Susan Anderson

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4530 on: July 13, 2018, 04:27:42 AM »
And then this: https://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/britain-greets-donald-trump-with-green-day-american-idiot
Don’t wanna be an American idiot
One nation controlled by the media
Information age of hysteria
It’s calling out to idiot America

In 2018, it’s unclear whether media addiction is still (or ever was) a uniquely American problem, but the lyrics do feel oddly applicable to the present Administration—both to Trump’s crusade against journalists and his ability to manipulate and entice his constituents using tactics seemingly gleaned from reality television. The idea that the average American—or any regular consumer of mass media—has somehow lost all ability to receive, process, and judge information purely on its own terms, without filtering it through a Twitter feed or some comparable thought-sieve, is terrifying. The Brits might be pushing the song onto the charts purely for the salience of its title, but the world Armstrong describes in the track feels more familiar than ever.
it’s clear that certain kinds of public humiliation do make [Trump] itchy. Ergo, if you live in the U.K., and have got ninety-nine cents to toss to the wind—there’s still time to purchase the single

[goes double for me ...]

Buddy

• ASIF Governor
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4531 on: July 13, 2018, 03:52:33 PM »
Interesting ..... not only are Obama's hands bigger than Trump's, so are the number of his Twitter followers:  Obama 101 million, Trump 53 million.

Trump, perhaps the most notorious Twitter user on the planet right now, saw his follower count drop by roughly 400,000 people to 53 million followers on Thursday — but the purge appears to be ongoing and that number could increase dramatically. His predecessor Obama was hit even harder, falling by more than 2.5 million followers in the past 24 hours to 101 million followers.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/trump-obama-kim-kardashian-hit-twitter-purge-201025317.html

jacksmith4tx

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Photon mine
« Reply #4532 on: July 13, 2018, 05:20:11 PM »
Interesting ..... not only are Obama's hands bigger than Trump's, so are the number of his Twitter followers:  Obama 101 million, Trump 53 million.

I bet almost all Trumps followers are Americans while Obama probably has a big international following. I would say Trumps numbers maybe 50% over estimated BUT his core base is a cult so he will never loose them.

Buddy

• ASIF Governor
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4533 on: July 13, 2018, 07:16:22 PM »
By the way Brit’s .....  before I forget ... a HUGE “atta boy” for giving Traitor Trump the “welcome” he deserves:  Baby balloon, hundreds of thousands of protesters, etc.  WELL DONE 👍🏻 mates.

TerryM

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 39
« Reply #4534 on: July 13, 2018, 08:16:48 PM »
Please tell me that you aren't cheering on a foreign entity that's trying to influence American voters this close to an election.
That would be as egregious as an American president telling British voters that he'd punish their economy if they didn't vote the way he wanted them to.

The horror of inter country electoral influence!
Terry

Buddy

• ASIF Governor
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4535 on: July 13, 2018, 08:22:48 PM »
JackSmith4tx ....

Yea .... I think you are right.  I was thinking the same thing.  “O” has much more international support.

Susan Anderson

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4536 on: July 13, 2018, 08:35:37 PM »
Please tell me that you aren't cheering on a foreign entity that's trying to influence American voters this close to an election.
That would be as egregious as an American president telling British voters that he'd punish their economy if they didn't vote the way he wanted them to.

Terry

Wow! We don't need any help despising our minority takeover by the wealthy and powerful kleptocrats that now own all three branches of government. Vote stealing, suppression, and intimidation and promoting racist wannabe dictator Trump is not a good "look". The freedom of dissent is under attack here. No Brits or punk rock bands are hacking our elections and promoting propaganda. You, on the other hand, have never deviated from supporting Putin and Trump. What's up with that?

Buddy

• ASIF Governor
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4537 on: July 13, 2018, 09:11:02 PM »
The noose is getting tighter around Traitor Donnie, and there are a lot of “nervous Nellies” in Congress right now.  Expect the internet trolls to continue their handy work.  Day-by-day, week-by-week and month-by-month ..... the noose is tightened.

Look for Donnie to become EVEN MORE ERRATIC in coming weeks.  He knows it’s coming, just like Nixon did.  As I said over a year ago, people will be blown away as long as Mueller can finish his investigation.  Traitor Donnie and his crew are in way too deep.  And that includes Sean Hannity and a handful or two of Congressmen ....

Tick ..... tick ...... tick Donnie boy.  Play golf while you can ...

TerryM

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 39
« Reply #4538 on: July 13, 2018, 11:49:31 PM »

Terry

Wow! We don't need any help despising our minority takeover by the wealthy and powerful kleptocrats that now own all three branches of government. Vote stealing, suppression, and intimidation and promoting racist wannabe dictator Trump is not a good "look". The freedom of dissent is under attack here. No Brits or punk rock bands are hacking our elections and promoting propaganda. You, on the other hand, have never deviated from supporting Putin and Trump. What's up with that?
Actually I think Dennis Kucinich's policies are closer to those that I support. "Strength Through Peace" still has a nice ring to it.
Read his platform from 2008 and tell me what he had wrong.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Kucinich_presidential_campaign,_2008

Terry

sidd

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 68
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4539 on: July 14, 2018, 02:21:03 AM »
Kucinich ? Ohio boy. Fairly far out there on some things like flying saucers, but i like him.

Well, let me qualify that. He lost a lot of credibility with me after he rolled over on public option for health care after a plane ride with obama.

Scrappy democrat outta cleveland, has hard core support there.

Got screwed outta his seat with loss of population in ohio leading to redistricting after census. But he's still scrapping, threw his hat in the ring for ohio governor in democratic primary, lost to Cordray.

I think corporate democrats want to see the last of Kucinich. And who can blame em, Kucinich is quite opposed to a great deal they hold dear.

I think he should run for mayor of cleveland again. He'll win big.

sidd

Buddy

• ASIF Governor
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4540 on: July 15, 2018, 04:24:26 AM »
Odds of Traitor Don going “Back To The USSR”/Russia .... now bumped up to 30% in future months.   It isn’t what he WANTS to do ..... but if his choice is try to get out of Dodge, or head to the slammer for the rest of his life ..... I know what Donnie would choose.

Keep in mind that the chances of him trying to “see this through” or start firing folks in the DOJ and FBI and take his chances then ..... the chance that one of those two plays out is 70%. 

Donnie is in huge trouble AND so are many other Republicans.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 02:08:36 PM by Buddy »

Lurk

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #4541 on: July 15, 2018, 04:37:49 AM »
Do you think Putin and Trump and their diplomatic / legal teams will be discussing the details in the latest Indictment in Helsinki?

The Summit could be a blow out non-event? 

From Russia with Love by John Helmer, in Moscow

The problem for the Russian military is that they believe US military undertakings at the field  level, and at the political level, cannot be trusted. Consequently, they doubt Trump or his White House staff can command,  even if they wish to control, the operations in Syria of the CIA  or the Israelis. In such a situation, Shoigu’s post at the meeting with Bolton was to ensure that Putin left no opening for a US offer that may lead to Russian casualties in the field.

The US economic war against Russian finance and against the oligarchs and their interests is severing the flow of cash between the homeland and this colony, and between the colony and its host, the international capital market. This is not yet total war. The British have attacked Roman Abramovich’s residency permit for London, but welcomed the Otkritie Bank fraudsters Vadim Belyaev and Boris Mints.  The US has barred Oleg Deripaska and Victor Vekselberg from their homes in New York, Washington, and Connecticut, but left Abramovich undisturbed at his addresses in Manhattan and Aspen.  Last week the French abandoned all effort to prosecute Russians for money-laundering and released Suleiman Kerimov to move between Moscow and Cap D’Antibes as he pleases, along with his partner, German Gref, the chief executive of Sberbank.

How far Trump will withdraw on the economic warfare front and support Putin with the oligarchs on these points is certain to be tested, oligarch sources believe. They expect Putin to ask Trump what  shareholding for Deripaska’s companies will satisfy him for the April 6 sanctions to be modified,  and at least part of their business returned to normal. Trump’s conversation with Putin on the Deripaska sanctions will be kept secret at least until the US Treasury has agreed to rule on Deripaska’s application for sanctions relief in August for some of his companies, in October for others. In the interval, the market value of such inside information may be more difficult to keep secret in Moscow.

http://johnhelmer.net/the-sale-of-another-century-the-putin-trump-summit/

« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 07:06:28 AM by ASILurker »

mostly_lurking

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4542 on: July 15, 2018, 08:00:52 AM »
Odds of Traitor Don going “Back To The USSR”/Russia .... now bumped up to 30% in future months.   

Delusions.

gerontocrat

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 311
« Reply #4543 on: July 15, 2018, 11:01:45 AM »
I rarely post in these political threads. But sometimes perhaps it is necessary. The damage Trump has already done and is continuing to do is not temporary, it will last for a long time after he is history.

The most significant quote from the article:-

He is not our ally. He is hostile to our interests and values. He may even, if this goes on, become a material threat.

This is a significant statement from a respected newspaper about the President of what was the UK's closest ally. This alliance is now in doubt.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jul/13/the-guardian-view-on-donald-trump-in-britain-this-was-the-visit-from-hell

The Guardian view on Donald Trump in Britain: this was the visit from hell
Editorial
Theresa May should have grasped that this US president is an enemy of stability in Europe. Now she should learn from her mistake

....the Sun interview

In the interview, Mr Trump expressed hatred for the EU, support for hard Brexit, unwillingness to strike a trade deal with the UK, contempt for Mrs May, support for Boris Johnson, hostility to immigration, and offered his barely coded belief that the UK – and Europe – is “losing your culture”. The interview, its content, its timing, and the fact that it was given to Mr Murdoch’s flagship anti-EU tabloid, was a deliberate hostile act. For Mrs May, fighting to control her party on the dominant issue facing Britain, it was simply a stab in the back. But it wasn’t fundamentally personal. It was a declaration of hostility to Britain and Europe and the values they stand for.

A president who supported the Atlantic alliance, the stability of Europe and liberal democratic values – in short, every other US president of the postwar era – would never have done such a thing.

But Mr Trump is not such a president. He is not our ally. He is hostile to our interests and values. He may even, if this goes on, become a material threat. This week he deliberately inflamed the politics of Europe and of Britain.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

mostly_lurking

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4544 on: July 15, 2018, 12:04:21 PM »

This is a significant statement from a respected newspaper about the President of what was the UK's closest ally. This alliance is now in doubt.

It's the Guardian- I would not expect anything less. They also supported the war in Iraq over WMD's (ofc today they admit it was a mistake) . About the same as the Washington post or New york times.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2003/jan/19/leaders.politics

No, you can't trust everything in "the paper".

The United Kingdom isn't "The Guardian".Plenty of people there support Trump as in the US.

SteveMDFP

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 75
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #4545 on: July 15, 2018, 05:54:36 PM »
Kucinich ? Ohio boy. Fairly far out there on some things like flying saucers, but i like him.

Well, let me qualify that. He lost a lot of credibility with me after he rolled over on public option for health care after a plane ride with obama.

Had he not rolled over on the public option, the ACA would have failed.  Several blue dogs would have voted against a deal with a public option.  The ACA didn't go nearly far enough, but it was a major advance over  the  old status quo.   Kucinich did the right thing.

Pmt111500

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #4546 on: July 15, 2018, 07:46:46 PM »
I'll tell a joke that might be fun. Just made it up, so at least it might be fresh.

It's generally known that important and delusionally important people like doppelgangers. So, can we be certain that one man can be as stupid whole time, or do we regularly see brain-doubles of Drumpf.

It looks like they're late. Of course. If the streets look empty, they are.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 12:54:11 PM by Pmt111500 »

Pmt111500

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #4547 on: July 17, 2018, 11:19:56 AM »
Now that the business meeting in Helsinki is thankfully over, do you think Donnie  is any better off business-wise?

gerontocrat

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 311
« Reply #4548 on: July 17, 2018, 04:57:52 PM »
Now that the business meeting in Helsinki is thankfully over, do you think Donnie  is any better off business-wise?
Given that the USA now has a CEO who has flirted with Chapter 11 all his business life, a more pertinent question might be " Will the USA also flirt with Chapter 11, especially if the current CEO gets another 4 year term at the helm ?"
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Pmt111500

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #4549 on: July 17, 2018, 05:02:49 PM »
Given that the USA now has a CEO who has flirted with Chapter 11 all his business life, a more pertinent question might be " Will the USA also flirt with Chapter 11, especially if the current CEO gets another 4 year term at the helm ?"
So saying republicans are sell-outs? Should we europeans say (R) in conjunction with a US official means (Russia)?