Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Trump  (Read 1474093 times)

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: The Trump Presidency (was "Presidential Poll")
« Reply #4450 on: July 02, 2018, 03:25:43 PM »
Some things to watch on the financial front as Traitor Don continues to "step in it" with his economic policies (for you Europeans, "stepping in it" is a phrase used in the US when someone is doing something very stupid, and they are "stepping in their own shit").

1). Commodities like copper, steel are continuing to weaken.  This is not helping Australia, Canada and others.  Also helping the housing markets in Canada and Australia to weaken.  I think BOTH of those housing markets could get a nasty correction in coming months or years.  Upper tier housing in the US has been weakening over the last year as well.

2). I still think oil is heading lower (mid to upper $50's ...... $54 - $58 type range).  If other commodities continue to stumble, and China CONTINUES its slowdown, oil will follow (thanks to help from Permian Basin production increases).

3). The next month  is going to be crazy on the Mueller/Cohen front.  Absolutely crazy.  Keep your eyes wide open and take it all in.   This truly is an historic time to be living, especially in the US.  Crazy.

What is Traitor Don going to do?  Keep sanctions on as markets weaken around the globe?  Look for a war to start in order to deflect from the coming indictments?  Will Donnie be getting a subpoena to talk with Mueller?  Where did Rudy go ..... did he decide he better shut up since he is under investigation as well?  And what is Cohen going to do?

Inquiring minds want to know.   Tick .... tick .... tick Donnie...

FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #4451 on: July 02, 2018, 03:48:17 PM »

So Donnie now has a growing list of international leaders that don't respect him, and aren't too thrilled to work with him.  The only leaders that seem to want to work with Donnie ...... is HIS BOSS, little Vladi.

I'm sure the Kremlin isn't happy about Trump's lack of progress on getting sanctions lifted.
And Trump seems to have a reasonable working relationship with the Saudis and Emiratis.  At least, as long as Trump bangs the war drums against Iran, and cooperates with the genocide going in in Yemen.

Otherwise, Trump's mostly been effective at insulting and alienating the long-standing allies of the US.

Martin Gisser

« Reply #4452 on: July 02, 2018, 04:04:25 PM »
and cooperates with the genocide going in in Yemen.
OT, but I'm fed up with Yemen. Yemen is assisted suigenocide. They had grown far beyond the carrying capacity of their land. What is going on now is a very natural consequence, known to mankind since Iron Age.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
« Reply #4453 on: July 02, 2018, 04:06:25 PM »
At what point with the Congressional GOP members tell Trump that they will no longer play the role of co-dependents to his efforts to disrupt free trade?

Title: "Exclusive: A leaked Trump bill to blow up the WTO"

https://www.axios.com/trump-trade-war-leaked-bill-world-trade-organization-united-states-d51278d2-0516-4def-a4d3-ed676f4e0f83.html

Extract: "Axios has obtained a leaked draft of a Trump administration bill — ordered by the president himself — that would declare America’s abandonment of fundamental World Trade Organization rules.

Why it matters: The draft legislation is stunning. The bill essentially provides Trump a license to raise U.S. tariffs at will, without congressional consent and international rules be damned.

As a smart trade watcher told me: "The Trump administration should be more worried about not having their current authority restricted rather than expanding authority as this bill would do.""
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

Susan Anderson

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 279
« Reply #4454 on: July 02, 2018, 05:00:31 PM »
Here's more on that "FART" act. Trump and his kleptocrats, enablers, and dupes have 188 more days to make things worse, and you can bet your bottom dollar they will. Election early November, take seats Monday January 7, after which hopefully at least one house of Congress will be able to put on the brakes. It is shocking that so much harm can be done in such a short time.

'It stinks': Twitter gets wind of oddly named Trump tariff bill draft: Leaked Fart Act draft reportedly suggests US abandons WTO rules
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jul/02/trump-fart-act-report-blows-through-washington

A report that Donald Trump is looking to walk away from the World Trade Organisation and instead adopt a United States Fair and Reciprocal Tariff Act, or Fart Act, has been greeted with loud amusement on Twitter.

Axios reported that it had received a leaked early draft of a bill ordered by the president, that would see America take the unlikely step of abandoning WTO rules, allowing Trump to raise tariffs without the consent of Congress.

Of course, if Trump makes himself dictator on trade, Congress won't matter anyway. Are these human beings?

Elsewhere, I was surprised to see contempt rained on victims in Yemen. We are all human, and should not forget it. One of the US's biggest crimes is enabling the Saudis, and Trump made that so much worse on his first visit abroad early in his administration. Arming villains is not the answer.

Martin Gisser

« Reply #4455 on: July 02, 2018, 06:04:14 PM »
You're fed up because they can't get fed.
Exactly. Because it is their fault, thus sui-genocide. Just like Rwanda, Syria, and countless civilizations since millenia. Yemenis had already been fighting before foreign intervention. Village against village fighting over water.

I don't mind Trump helping with the inevitable.

Sorry for sounding inhumane. This century will see much much worse (forget Auschwitz). Unless we learn. If not, no reason for crying.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4456 on: July 02, 2018, 08:34:33 PM »
“Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters, cannot be trusted with important matters.”  Albert Einstein

Think that applies to FOX News and Donald Trump?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 01:23:52 AM by Buddy »

Susan Anderson

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4457 on: July 03, 2018, 05:01:58 AM »
Well, there's trouble for a lot of people. They didn't ask to be born, but we are earth's apex predator.

But 16 million facing famine? The mind (and heart) boggles.

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 120
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #4458 on: July 03, 2018, 05:28:20 AM »
Well, there's trouble for a lot of people. They didn't ask to be born, but we are earth's apex predator.

Indeed. The famine in Yemen is of epic proportions. By some estimates 147 children die each day of starvation.

And entirely preventable because this famine is man-made.
The Saudi food blockade and bombing raids are a prime cause of the disaster.

PBS just produced a very good documentary about what's really going on in Yemen :

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/yemens-spiraling-hunger-crisis-is-a-man-made-disaster
This is our planet. This is our time.
Let's not waste either.

Pmt111500

« Reply #4459 on: July 03, 2018, 05:33:12 AM »
https://thetrumpimpeachment.com/alex-jones-democrats-launching-civil-war-july-4th/

I get that democrats want to celebrate the former US independence by launching an attack against the Trumpistani insurgents, but wouldn't the Trumpistan independence day Nov-6th of 2016 been a better day? Thought to post this to a humor thread, but this is quite far removed of the topic of the forum. To democrats, what are your plans for the Holiday Trumpsters have not yet abolished? To republicans, which tax havens do you now use? To Trumpistan residents, fuck off.

Martin Gisser

« Reply #4460 on: July 03, 2018, 06:35:42 AM »

Indeed. The famine in Yemen is of epic proportions. By some estimates 147 children die each day of starvation.

And entirely preventable because this famine is man-made.
The Saudi food blockade and bombing raids are a prime cause of the disaster.

PBS just produced a very good documentary about what's really going on in Yemen :

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/yemens-spiraling-hunger-crisis-is-a-man-made-disaster
I don't believe the 147 number.
Watching starving children is gut-wrenching. And a food blockade is criminal. But famine and civil war was on its way anyway. The population of Yemen tripled since 1975. And this is not a newly settled fertile land. As the PBS documentary shows, what most Yemenis eat nowadays is money. No money, no import food. Starvation and terror are a "natural" consequence then. (Haven't looked up how much they need to import, but I guess it's worse than Egypt.) The Saudis plus global warming have just shifted the ceiling and exacerbated things. Now they seriously starve in 2018, after years of mild hunger, and not in 2025.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Yemen
1950   4,316,000
1960   5,116,000
1970   6,145,000
1980   7,945,000
1990   11,948,000
2000   17,723,000
2010   24,053,000   

This article already warned in 2010:
https://www.thenational.ae/world/mena/yemen-faces-population-explosion-time-bomb-1.510447
Yemen is facing a security threat, described by one expert as a "time bomb". It is not al Qa'eda, the Houthi rebellion in the north or the secessionist movement in the south, though its influence cuts across all three.

It is found in millions of households across the country, such as Bahaja al Hamily's in Medinat al Layl, a slum on the outskirts of Sana'a. "We didn't intend it," she said. "We didn't take in to account what we earn." She gestures to the skinny toddler on her arm. "I had an operation after the ninth." Yemen has one of the highest population growth rates in the world. According to its National Population Council, a government body, 700,000 people - almost equal to the entire population of Djibouti - are added to the country each year. Its current population of 23 million people is set to double in the next two decades.

(...)

While there is now broad consensus among religious scholars that Islam allows for the right to plan one's family, and Muslim countries such as Iran and Egypt have pursued relatively successful programmes, it is still a challenge to overcome deep-rooted beliefs.

(...)

According to the UN population fund, the number of 10 to 25-year-olds will rise from 8.6 million to 20.8 million in the next 25 years if nothing is done to curb growth. It is not clear where these young people will live, how they will be fed, watered, educated and employed; or how they will be prevented from discontent, rioting, forming gangs and joining armed insurgencies. If the national family planning policy fails to make any change, Yemen will soon find out.

"A person can't just rely on their salary," said the teacher in Medinat al Layl when asked if his job would support his 20 children. "You must find a second job. And everyone must believe in Allah's fortune."

BTW: Egypt, now at 95 million with no sign of slowdown, is also eating money and running out of export oil...

-----------------
P.S.: Back to topic... and that's why we can't afford reality denying politicians like Trump anymore, and their voters. This century, first time in our fucken history, Homo S Sapiens needs to get serious. No more fun with Trumps. Else there will be tears over millions of dead babies. 1 million, 10 million, 100 million, until things get better, next century? The morbid maths of the exponential function...

« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 07:10:21 AM by Martin Gisser »

Susan Anderson

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4461 on: July 03, 2018, 04:54:46 PM »
Yes. One of the first things any Republican administration does is defund any agency that provides birth control, particularly abroad. All by itself, that's a reason to never support a reactionary who denies reality and doesn't care about women.

The only successful way of cutting back on the birth rate is to provide birth control and empower women. Guaranteed, and doesn't bully anyone except the sperm's rights and women are chattels people:

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4462 on: July 04, 2018, 09:40:24 AM »
Today is July the 4th. Independence day.

The SCOTUS just re-enforced Trump's muslim ban.
And Trump is sending back immigrants without a hearing.
On top of that, right-wingers are using the US flag as a symbol of their xenophobia and racism.

For me, waving the flag today signifies that this country can be better than what we are today.

For me, the flag is a symbol that this country can always change, and change for the better we will.

Happy independence day everyone !
Let's not waste either.

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4463 on: July 04, 2018, 11:58:08 PM »

On top of that, right-wingers are using the US flag as a symbol of their xenophobia and racism.

For me, waving the flag today signifies that this country can be better than what we are today.

For me, the flag is a symbol that this country can always change, and change for the better we will.

The flag represents a lot of (mostly) noble ideals.  It also represents a history of lots of noble and ignoble actions.  There's no necessary difference between those who wave the flag and those who burn it.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4464 on: July 05, 2018, 02:01:58 AM »
Traitor Donald is quickly coming to that fork in the road I spoke about before:

1). Does he continue on the road of allowing the Mueller investigation to continue, and hope for the best?  The amount and type of information that Cohen has, and Donald is aware of, will certainly impact Trumps ability to stay on the “Mueller track.”  So will the Manafort trial and what comes out of that over the next few months.

2). If Trump doesn’t think he can survive the information coming out of a cooperative Michael Cohen, as well as the info from the Manafort trial, then Trumps next best option is to try and shut things down or significantly impact the Mueller investigation by having someone fire Rosenstein and Mueller.  Clearly this has risks, but when your options are between (1) BAD and (2) HORRIBLE  ... all of the sudden bad looks a little better.

Trump would likely move Mick Mulvaney or Pruitt into the Attorney General slot for 210 days, and they would immediately fire Sessions, Rosenstein, and Mueller.  Clearly there are risks here, but Donnie my not have a choice.  At least it could buy him time.  And with a LOT of luck, maybe he could derail it, or at least delay it.  I suspect that option #2 will ultimately fail because of the information that is still likely to come out, and I don’t think John Q Public is going to be happy.

3). His last option (other than going to jail) will be to move to Russia via a trip through Saudi Arabia OR directly into Russia via some madeup reason to meet with the Russians there (like a future follow up to the Helsinki meeting in about two weeks).

By the way ..... I now bump the possibility of #3 happening up to 25% from 20%.  I know, crazy thought isn’t it?  Future events can bump this up or down.  Especially events in the coming 2 or 3 weeks.

There is only ONE reason for Traitor Trump to have a one-on-one meeting with little Vladi, and it is NOT
anything patriotic.

Tick ...tick ... tick Traitor Don.  Your move ...

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4465 on: July 05, 2018, 03:39:25 AM »
Traitor Donald is quickly coming to that fork in the road I spoke about before:
. . .

2). . . Trump would likely move Mick Mulvaney or Pruitt into the Attorney General slot for 210 days, and they would immediately fire Sessions, Rosenstein, and Mueller.  Clearly there are risks here, but Donnie my not have a choice.  At least it could buy him time.  And with a LOT of luck, maybe he could derail it, or at least delay it.  I suspect that option #2 will ultimately fail because of the information that is still likely to come out, and I don’t think John Q Public is going to be happy.

3). His last option (other than going to jail) will be to move to Russia via a trip through Saudi Arabia OR directly into Russia via some madeup reason to meet with the Russians there (like a future follow up to the Helsinki meeting in about two weeks).

I'd basically agree.  I think 2.) is looking quite probable to me.  That is, even if Trump never colluded with Kremlin agents, I'm quite confident there's enough prior criminal acts in his business history to make eventual imprisonment probable, unless he can derail the whole investigation.  So he'll likely pull the rip cord for that parachute.

If he can't derail everything, and if he can't get Pence to promise a pardon upon his resignation (unlikely to happen much before the end of his term), then he'll seek to retire to a foreign nation rather than retire to prison.

Putin's role, likely, wouldn't be to host Trump in Moscow but to bankroll his retirement to some 3rd nation.  Giving an indicted Trump refuge in Moscow just wouldn't serve Russian interests at all.  Trump going to Paraguay (or wherever) would avoid a criminal trial in the US that would lay out evidence for the public. 

Pmt111500

« Reply #4466 on: July 05, 2018, 07:42:23 AM »
Thanks for #secondcivilwarletters. Some day Alex Jones might be right, the boy who cried: 'donkey!' -tale comes to mind.

mostly_lurking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #4467 on: July 05, 2018, 08:36:51 AM »

I thought I wouldn't post here again but this is too much.

DELUSIONAL  T.D.S post (at the minimum).

Susan Anderson

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4468 on: July 05, 2018, 08:44:48 PM »
My favorite Boston Globe reporter, Michael Cohen (not that one) nails it: America is not great again

America is not great again, and it might be a very long time before anyone will be able to say the opposite without being laughed out of the room.

I take no pleasure in writing this, but how can anyone look at what’s happening in America today and conclude otherwise?

Just take the doings at the Supreme Court this month. A narrow majority of conservative judges have issued a host of decisions — largely along partisan lines and little informed by the law — that have made America decidedly worse.

Upholding the president’s racist travel ban is bad enough on its own, but the practical effects could be significant. Fewer students and entrepreneurs will want to study and work here. Last year, international bookings to the United States dropped by 4 percent, costing the economy more than $4.6 billion and 40,000 jobs, at the same time that global tourism was booming. With the president’s hateful rhetoric, the crackdown on undocumented immigrants, and now the latest barbarity happening at the southern border, it’s not hard to imagine that this trend will continue.

Reducing worker rights and making it harder for public sector workers to organize, as the court did, will tilt the economic balance, even more than it already is, toward employers. The result will be lower wages, worse benefits, and greater inequality.

Replacing Justice Anthony Kennedy will likely make a difference in rulings on reproductive freedom, gay and lesbian rights, affirmative action, and limits on criminal punishments.

Making it easier for states to purge voter rolls or put in place racially discriminatory congressional maps — which the court upheld this year in two separate decisions — will further undermine already dwindling confidence in the nation’s democratic institutions and potentially enshrine minority Republican rule for years to come.

Consider that, some time in the next few months, the Senate will likely confirm a Supreme Court justice appointed by a president who received 3 million fewer votes than his rival, is under federal investigation for potentially colluding with a foreign government to win the election, and already got to appoint a high-court justice because Senate Republicans, in effect, stole a seat from Democrats. And that judge will probably join four other conservative judges in hollowing out legal abortion in America — a position supported by perhaps a third of the country.

Who wants to argue with a straight face that America today is a functioning and representative democracy?

All of this comes on the heels of 18 months of administration policies that have further hastened American civic decay: drying up public resources to deal with national challenges, eroding the protections afforded by comprehensive health care reform, shredding environmental regulations, and doing nothing while guns and opioids kill close to 100,000 Americans every year. That’s hardly a recipe for American renewal.

Anyone who thinks a country that inflicts these kinds of wounds on itself will remain great is grievously wrong.

For all the time that is spent by our political class arguing about civility, the president’s tweets, or other bread and circuses, we’re not focusing on the fact that America is in serious and alarming decline.

Our national life expectancy has fallen for two straight years; nearly 40 percent of Americans are obese, which is a significant increase over the past several years; our educational system is not up to the same standards as other developed nations; our infrastructure is crumbling; and American businesses are less innovative and its citizens less entrepreneurial.

This is all happening in real time. And because congressional Republicans are more interested in giving tax cuts to their rich donors, there are precious few national resources to tackle these worsening challenges.

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but we can no longer afford to ignore the reality of what is happening in America. We will not only leave the next generation of Americans worse off, but we will also bequeath them a country poorer, sicker, more unequal, and less influential. It’s painful to say that America’s best days are increasingly in the rearview mirror, but it takes superhero-like power of rationalization to deny this reality. And the worst part of all this is that we have no one to blame but ourselves.

Since we have a ruling class in Congress, the White House, and the Supreme Court that is little interested in reversing this trend, the burden for change will increasingly fall on the American people — and their dwindling power at the ballot box — to right the ship.

Anyone who thinks getting rid of Democrats who've been fighting a losing battle against the majority is not helping, they're pushing to make things worse.

Pmt111500

« Reply #4469 on: July 05, 2018, 09:05:15 PM »
Apparently the second civil war continues on some other date. I heard some brave toasters approached Alex Jones' home but there was too much smelly garbage spewing out of his mouth they had to relocate their picnic. Better luck next time.

jacksmith4tx

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • Photon mine
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #4470 on: July 05, 2018, 09:47:41 PM »
Pruitt is OUT!!! - There will be severe retaliation from Trump so I expect him to nominate a CEO from a coal company - and his toadies in the senate will confirm.
Science is a thought process, technology will change reality.

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
  • Liked: 309
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #4471 on: July 05, 2018, 11:20:15 PM »
Maybe he won't nominate anybody, or he has a friend looking for a nice little job... It's also a way to make sure that nothing happens. Anyway, it's a good news.

jacksmith4tx

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • Photon mine
« Reply #4472 on: July 06, 2018, 12:00:09 AM »
Trump's base is outraged about this. The most extreme websites are posting Pruitt tributes and plotting revenge. Crazy world, maybe even a bit scary too.

Susan Anderson

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4473 on: July 06, 2018, 12:03:47 AM »
Deputy Director Wheeler, who inherits the post, has been doing the bidding of coal, oil, and other industry for over a decade.

I'm not sure I don't prefer the scandal, which at least made it obvious what is going on. And, Wheeler inherits the secrecy booth, etc., so he will still be able to hide his collaboration with earth's for-profit destroyers.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4474 on: July 06, 2018, 01:39:55 PM »
Apparently using FOX News as his only outlet for speaking to the press wasn’t enough for Traitor Trump.  He has now hired Bill Shine as the communications director for Trumps disinformation campaign.  Shine used to be president of FOX News..... and was one of the people responsible for allowing much of the sexual misconduct at FOX.

So now Donnie has one of Sean Hannity’s best buddies inside the White House.  I wonder when the announcement will come that FOX is now the “official news channel” of the White House?

Just think ..... Bill Shine was too slimy even for FOX news ..... but he is just fine for Traitor Trump's cabinet. 

FOX News:  “Where truth and journalism are dead.”
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 03:03:50 PM by Buddy »

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4475 on: July 06, 2018, 03:03:52 PM »
Apparently using FOX News as his only outlet for speaking to the press wasn’t enough for Traitor Trump.  He has now hired Bill Shine as the communications director for Trumps disinformation campaign.  Shine used to be president of FOX News..... and was one of the people responsible for allowing much of the sexual misconduct at FOX.

So now Donnie has one of Sean Hannity’s best buddies inside the White House.  I wonder when the announcement will come that FOX is now the “official news channel” of the White House?

FOX News:  “Where truth and journalism are dead.”

Fox News Channel is a malignant propaganda outlet.
It's also a fairly successful business model.
Feed right-wing propaganda to the Archie Bunkers of America, reinforcing their xenophobia, bigotry, and intolerance.  There isn't much competition on the cable networks for this perspective.

I think the only effective counter will be organized, publicized boycotts of the advertisers on the channel.

litesong

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #4476 on: July 06, 2018, 05:49:51 PM »
Traitor Trump.....hired Bill Shine as the communications director for Trumps disinformation campaign.  Shine used to be president of FOX News..... and was one of the people responsible for allowing much of the sexual misconduct at FOX.......FOX News:  “Where truth and journalism are dead.”
Hey, hey, hey...... Now ever'thang you's guys says is da twuth. B-b-b-ut, "don'T rump" leads ya all wit' 3000+ lies. PLUS.... hugess numbers of lie-oriented "mericans" jes dote on "don'T rump" propaganda & beliefs awl his traddle.

Martin Gisser

« Reply #4477 on: July 06, 2018, 07:09:49 PM »
Fox News was conceived during Nixon's presidency:

Since its launch in 1996, Fox News has rocketed to dominance in the cable wars. But Roger Ailes' "fair and balanced" alternative to what he calls the liberal bias of other news outlets was far from an overnight success. In fact, according to documents obtained by Gawker, his idea for a conservative news source was conceived in 1970, when Ailes worked as a media consultant for then-President Richard Nixon. (...)
(...)
According to Gawker, the concept was first outlined in a 1970 memo titled "A Plan for Putting the GOP on TV News." Gawker's John Cook found the document "buried deep within the Richard Nixon Presidential Library." In it, the author proposes sidestepping the "prejudices of network news" to get "pro-administration," pro-Republican video directly to local TV stations.

(...) (...)
http://theweek.com/articles/483558/did-fox-news-originate-nixon-white-house 2011

Mr. Ailes went on to help Ronald Reagan, George H. W. Bush and countless other Republican politicians master the medium. But as significant as what Mr. Ailes taught Nixon is what Nixon taught Mr. Ailes: the political power of popular resentment against a liberal cultural elite.

Ever since his first race for Congress in 1946, Nixon had succeeded in politics by portraying himself as the voice of the “forgotten Americans,” the ordinary, hard-working Joes who were stifled by regulations and taxes imposed by Washington. He made it his mission to change the widespread reputation of the Republican Party as “the party of big business and privilege.” He did so over the years by mobilizing popular rage against various figures of purportedly undeserved power and influence: Washington bureaucrats, college professors, Supreme Court justices, student protesters and, not least, the news media.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/18/opinion/roger-ailes-richard-nixon-fox-news.html

mostly_lurking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #4478 on: July 08, 2018, 08:01:57 AM »

It's also a fairly successful business model.
Feed right-wing propaganda to the Archie Bunkers of America, reinforcing their xenophobia, bigotry, and intolerance.  There isn't much competition on the cable networks for this perspective.

I think the only effective counter will be organized, publicized boycotts of the advertisers on the channel.

1) That's quite a lot of "Archie Bunkers"
2) They tried boycotting advertisers- it doesn't work. It' all about the bottom line and see point #1

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4479 on: July 08, 2018, 02:36:07 PM »
Sorry to see that Traitor Donnie’s World Cup team lost to Croatia in a shootout.  SAD.  Now what will Donnie and his boss talk about when they meet one-on-one?

On a serious note, one thing to look for is whether or not Donnie drags a US interpreter with him into the meeting with Vladimir .... or will Donnie just rely on Putin’s interpreter?  Or will there be no interpreters?

« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 08:34:29 PM by Buddy »

Pmt111500

« Reply #4480 on: July 08, 2018, 09:00:20 PM »
 :-X :-[ :-X , and I'm probably not going to listen this myself.
https://m.soundcloud.com/siriusxmentertainment/tme76181

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4481 on: July 09, 2018, 06:29:54 PM »
Trump’s personal driver of 25 years sues for unpaid overtime.

“SMALL THINGS CAN MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE.”

And by “small”, I don’t mean to the driver.  I mean small to Trump.  I expect this to gain some “traction” ... because this is how Trump AND his policies treat the working man.

Not a good look during an election year.  The garbage is continuing to pile up as the onion is getting peeled back.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4482 on: July 10, 2018, 12:24:38 AM »
The Kavanaugh nomination to the Supreme Court tonight (he will get it) means that Traitor Don is gearing up for a fight in the Supreme Court for his job.  Kavanaugh has said a sitting president should NOT be indictable while he is in office.

Game on Traitor Donnie.

Ben Sasse is really the only Senator that has truly broken ranks from him.  I look for McCain, Flake, and some others to break ranks in coming weeks as more indictments are handed down, and as more information becomes public.

As I said many times .... there is NO WAY that Donnie will volunteer to sit down with Mueller.  NONE.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 03:07:26 PM by Buddy »

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4483 on: July 10, 2018, 03:31:11 PM »
Just something to keep an eye on over the next few weeks.  Gallup's poll has what could be a "break" in trend over the last few weeks. 

https://news.gallup.com/poll/203207/trump-job-approval-weekly.aspx

On 6/17 Donnies disapproval number on Gallup was 50% ..... and is now in Gallup's latest WEEKLY POLL his disapproval number is back up to 56%.  This is AT LEAST a short term break in the trend.  Keeping in mind that THE FUNDAMENTALS CAUSE THE CHART  (not the other way around).

We don't know if...

A)  Donnie's immigration policies have caused the change
B)  Cohen looking like he might flip have caused some of it
C)  Donnie's lies coming back to haunt him and show him to be a LIAR
D)  Some combination of those....or other FUNDAMENTAL things?

Donnie has had a host of surrogates on the airwaves lying for him since he got in office ..... and Rudy has been lying for him almost nonstop over the past couple of months.  So it will be interesting to see if the following things impact his poll numbers going forward...

1)  Traitor Don's supreme court nomination
2)  What if Cohen flips in the coming weeks
3)  Continuation of fatally flawed immigration policies and execution of those policies
4)  Continue to discover that Donnie has lied his ass off his first 16 months in office (I know....SHOCKING).

Of course..... the decisions that Sean Donnie makes over the coming weeks will be key. ;)

https://news.gallup.com/poll/203207/trump-job-approval-weekly.aspx
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 05:48:06 PM by Buddy »

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4484 on: July 10, 2018, 08:37:03 PM »
Who else has committed "charity fraud" that we know of?

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- Former NBA player Kermit Washington has been sentenced to six years in federal prison for spending hundreds of thousands of dollars in charity donations on vacations, shopping sprees and plastic surgery for his girlfriend.

The U.S. attorney's office said in a news release that the 66-year-old Las Vegas man was also ordered Monday to pay nearly $970,000 in restitution after pleading guilty in November to making a false statement in a tax return and aggravated identity theft.

https://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2018/07/former_nba_player_washington_sentenced_for_charity.html#incart_std

Hmmmmmmmmmm..........

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4485 on: July 11, 2018, 04:32:30 AM »
Traitor Don is definitely over the tips of his skiis these days.  With the world economy showing signs of slowing down, Donnie is giving it a nudge off the road by starting a tariff war ... just in time for elections ... and just in time to tank world markets.

Next 3-4 months will be crazy.....

* Donnie’s Korea sharade looks like it is unwinding
* Economy is slowing
* Mueller/Cohen investigations continue to push forward
* Donnie looks like he is going to Helsinki on his hands and knees to meet his boss
* At the same time Donnie is making changes in the DOJ just in case he has to pull the cord on the Mueller investigation (he will)
* US market and many other markets look set to struggle in coming months
* Donnie going to make enemies across the pond .... with what used to be our closest allies.

Other than that ....  just another boring summer trying to keep the US as a democracy.

Susan Anderson

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4486 on: July 11, 2018, 07:32:39 AM »
Nice work if you can get it. This is satire, but things do get worse here every day, and it's clear Kavanaugh will help Trump. I've always thought impeachment a nonstarter and distraction, even though it is 1000% justified with our criminal-in-chief. Kavanaugh will help increase big money in elections, cheating in elections, voter suppression and intimidation, dismantling unions, "religion" in government (though I wouldn't call it Christian: see the Gospels), and all the usual attacks on women and the less privileged.

Reminder: this is satire:

Man Wins “Why Trump Shouldn’t Go to Prison” Essay Contest

By Andy Borowitz July 10, 2018

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—A Washington, D.C., man has won a nationwide essay contest on the topic “Why Donald J. Trump Shouldn’t Go to Prison.”

The man, Brett Kavanaugh, received his award for the winning essay at a ceremony at the White House on Monday night.

Kavanaugh’s essay, which was distributed to the press shortly after he was announced as the winner, reads as follows: “Donald J. Trump should never go to prison because he is the President of the United States and the President of the United States is a very important person in the country. It would look bad if visitors from foreign countries came to the United States and asked, ‘Where is your President?’ and we had to say, ‘He is in prison,’ which in my opinion is another reason Donald J. Trump should not go to prison. For these reasons, if I am ever in a position to keep Donald J. Trump from going to prison, I will do that (keep him from going to prison).”

Shaking Kavanaugh’s hand, Trump heaped praise on him for his “very, very beautiful” essay, calling it “maybe the best essay that has ever been written.”

“I did not personally read it, but Ivanka read it aloud to me, and I thought it was fantastic,” Trump said.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/man-wins-why-trump-shouldnt-go-to-prison-essay-contest

Pmt111500

« Reply #4487 on: July 11, 2018, 10:53:35 AM »
Nice work if you can get it. This is satire, but things do get worse here every day, and it's clear Kavanaugh will help Trump. I've always thought impeachment a nonstarter and distraction, even though it is 1000% justified with our criminal-in-chief. Kavanaugh will help increase big money in elections, cheating in elections, voter suppression and intimidation, dismantling unions, "religion" in government (though I wouldn't call it Christian: see the Gospels), and all the usual attacks on women and the less privileged.

Reminder: this is satire:

Man Wins “Why Trump Shouldn’t Go to Prison” Essay Contest

By Andy Borowitz July 10, 2018

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—A Washington, D.C., man has won a nationwide essay contest on the topic “Why Donald J. Trump Shouldn’t Go to Prison.”

The man, Brett Kavanaugh, received his award for the winning essay at a ceremony at the White House on Monday night.

Kavanaugh’s essay, which was distributed to the press shortly after he was announced as the winner, reads as follows: “Donald J. Trump should never go to prison because he is the President of the United States and the President of the United States is a very important person in the country. It would look bad if visitors from foreign countries came to the United States and asked, ‘Where is your President?’ and we had to say, ‘He is in prison,’ which in my opinion is another reason Donald J. Trump should not go to prison. For these reasons, if I am ever in a position to keep Donald J. Trump from going to prison, I will do that (keep him from going to prison).”

Shaking Kavanaugh’s hand, Trump heaped praise on him for his “very, very beautiful” essay, calling it “maybe the best essay that has ever been written.”

“I did not personally read it, but Ivanka read it aloud to me, and I thought it was fantastic,” Trump said.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/man-wins-why-trump-shouldnt-go-to-prison-essay-contest

Is this satire?

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #4488 on: July 11, 2018, 01:25:29 PM »
Yes. Borowitz is the paper's satirist.
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

jacksmith4tx

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • Photon mine
« Reply #4489 on: July 11, 2018, 01:55:12 PM »
How about a trip down memory lane?
"The “new normal” of American politics is not normal. The Weekly List reminds us of that. On a weekly basis, the List tracks specific news stories representing eroding norms under the current regime. Taken together, they reveal a nation pushed towards authoritarianism, the wielding of unchecked governmental authority by one person or group at the expense of the freedom of those who oppose them."
This is how democracy dies.
https://theweeklylist.org/

Susan Anderson

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4490 on: July 11, 2018, 03:20:05 PM »
@PMT & Wili:

I think P's point was that it is hardly satire. There is no bottom to Trump's provocations. His and his administration's latest two: bullying other countries to advantage infant formula over mother's milk, when research was to be presented showing the latter is generally superior. And pardoning some violent arsonists involved in the leadup to the violent takeover in Oregon by the Bundy's (the father objected to paying 10% for the government services they received).

jacksmith4tx

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • Photon mine
« Reply #4491 on: July 11, 2018, 06:14:08 PM »
How about a trip down memory lane? "The “new normal” of American politics is not normal.

That depends on how good your memory is. Congress has slowly been moving toward these more overtly 'out there' disturbing days for decades. Trump as an individual is simply not that powerful a being. Those who have come before him have laid the ground work in more ways than one. Blaming Trump alone is missing the point entirely and will fail to solve the deeper problems. imo.

My memory goes back to when we had "colored" water fountains and being arrested for protesting the Vietnam war.

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4492 on: July 12, 2018, 09:58:04 AM »
That depends on how good your memory is. Congress has slowly been moving toward these more overtly 'out there' disturbing days for decades. Trump as an individual is simply not that powerful a being. Those who have come before him have laid the ground work in more ways than one. Blaming Trump alone is missing the point entirely and will fail to solve the deeper problems. imo.

[sarc on]
Yeah. What could Trump possibly do wrong. He is just one individual. And not powerful a being either. Blaming Trump for his own actions is missing the point.
And Trump can certainly not be blamed for bullying other countries to advantage infant formula over mother's milk.
Everything that Trump does is the fault of prior administrations over the last 20-30 years.
[sarc off]
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 10:16:34 AM by Rob Dekker »
Let's not waste either.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4493 on: July 12, 2018, 02:14:58 PM »
If I were Sean or Donnie ...... I would be worried.  VERY WORRIED.  The FBI may not be QUICK in the work they do, but they don't just roll over.  Once on the scent, they are like pit bulls.

As usual ...... Rachel gives us a history lesson along with the current event.  Today's testimony by Strzok should be interesting...

FBI agent Strzok was an agent involved in uncovering Russian agents who were in the US starting in the early 2000's ..... and US FBI agents tracked and watched those agents for many years before moving on them in 201

If I were Sean .... I would be very, very, worried.  No wonder he has been freaking out.  If I were him, I would make sure that position with RT News is still available ...... he may need it.

And Devon Nunes .... as I said more than a year ago .... TOAST.

The summer is just now heating up ......

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
« Reply #4494 on: July 12, 2018, 05:19:04 PM »
We haven't seen the end of Bannon's dirty work to promote Trumpism:

Title: "Bannon hosts Europopulists in London ahead of Trump's visit"

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/07/11/bannon-london-trump-populists-714067
Extract: "With London distracted by soccer and Brexit, the president's former strategist has set up shop at a five-star hotel to fuel Europe's surging brand of Trumpism.

A day before President Donald Trump’s arrival here, leaders of Europe’s rough-edged populist movement quietly filed into a five-star hotel in London’s Mayfair district, unnoticed by summer tourists enjoying their clotted cream.

Louis Aliot, a right-wing French politician and boyfriend of the French populist firebrand Marine Le Pen, walked through the lobby to a conference room tucked away behind the restaurant serving afternoon tea. So did Nigel Farage, the right-wing British politician and Brexit mastermind whom the local tabloids say is “banned” by his government from meeting with Trump during his visit.

Ben Harris-Quinney, chairman of a prominent London conservative think tank, lingered by the concierge booth as he discussed ways Trump’s British fans can offer him a warm greeting amid planned protests and a giant inflatable diapered Trump baby set to fly over the city. “We’re trying to tell the story that there is a strong well of support,” said Harris-Quinney.

They had all come to see Trump’s former chief strategist Steve Bannon, who had set up a bare war room, of sorts, in a conference room at the hotel to confer and conspire with leaders of Europe’s surging populist movement. Bannon's goal, he said in a brief interview between meetings, is to help “contextualize Trump” for a European audience that hates him and a fiery tabloid media culture that he believes doesn’t give the American president a fair shake.
It was a reminder that Europe’s version of Trumpism is thriving — from England to France to Italy — even if Trump himself may not make much of a splash when he arrives here Thursday night."
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

Pmt111500

« Reply #4495 on: July 12, 2018, 09:59:34 PM »
The satirist forgets the Swiss and Cypriot accounts, that likely would be quite interesting for this investigation.
 https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/merkel-asks-mueller-if-theres-anything-she-can-do-to-help

Susan Anderson

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4496 on: July 13, 2018, 04:27:42 AM »
And then this: https://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/britain-greets-donald-trump-with-green-day-american-idiot
Don’t wanna be an American idiot
One nation controlled by the media
Information age of hysteria
It’s calling out to idiot America

In 2018, it’s unclear whether media addiction is still (or ever was) a uniquely American problem, but the lyrics do feel oddly applicable to the present Administration—both to Trump’s crusade against journalists and his ability to manipulate and entice his constituents using tactics seemingly gleaned from reality television. The idea that the average American—or any regular consumer of mass media—has somehow lost all ability to receive, process, and judge information purely on its own terms, without filtering it through a Twitter feed or some comparable thought-sieve, is terrifying. The Brits might be pushing the song onto the charts purely for the salience of its title, but the world Armstrong describes in the track feels more familiar than ever.
it’s clear that certain kinds of public humiliation do make [Trump] itchy. Ergo, if you live in the U.K., and have got ninety-nine cents to toss to the wind—there’s still time to purchase the single

[goes double for me ...]

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4497 on: July 13, 2018, 03:52:33 PM »
Interesting ..... not only are Obama's hands bigger than Trump's, so are the number of his Twitter followers:  Obama 101 million, Trump 53 million.

Trump, perhaps the most notorious Twitter user on the planet right now, saw his follower count drop by roughly 400,000 people to 53 million followers on Thursday — but the purge appears to be ongoing and that number could increase dramatically. His predecessor Obama was hit even harder, falling by more than 2.5 million followers in the past 24 hours to 101 million followers.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/trump-obama-kim-kardashian-hit-twitter-purge-201025317.html

jacksmith4tx

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • Photon mine
« Reply #4498 on: July 13, 2018, 05:20:11 PM »
Interesting ..... not only are Obama's hands bigger than Trump's, so are the number of his Twitter followers:  Obama 101 million, Trump 53 million.

I bet almost all Trumps followers are Americans while Obama probably has a big international following. I would say Trumps numbers maybe 50% over estimated BUT his core base is a cult so he will never loose them.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4499 on: July 13, 2018, 07:16:22 PM »
By the way Brit’s .....  before I forget ... a HUGE “atta boy” for giving Traitor Trump the “welcome” he deserves:  Baby balloon, hundreds of thousands of protesters, etc.  WELL DONE 👍🏻 mates.