Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Trump  (Read 1473763 times)

Paddy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 153
  • Likes Given: 151
The Trump
« on: September 27, 2016, 08:11:49 AM »
Forum members from the US: who are you going to vote for?

EDIT: The poll allows you to change your mind; I intend to close it on election day.

EDIT 2: Thread renamed due to thread drift and electoral outcomes.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 12:18:47 PM by be cause »

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
Re: Presidential poll for US citizens on the forum
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 09:26:41 AM »
Thank God I don't have to vote on this one.  ;)

But who are Johnson and Stein?
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Paddy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 09:46:44 AM »
Johnson's the libertarian candidate, Stein the green candidate. Neither is expected to win any states.

EDIT: Johnson's polling about 6 to 8%, Stein 2 to 4%.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 12:11:04 PM »
Clinton won the first debate....although maybe it was more of Trump doing poorly...as opposed to Clinton doing really well.  I would give Clinton a B....and Trump a C- or D+.

I expect the gloves to come off in the next debate.  Maybe they should do it in a boxing ring with barbed wire around the ring:  A death match.

In the peso futures market, the peso went UP as Clinton continued to win, especially the last half of the debate.  So along with Clinton winning....so did Mexico.

I guess the big loser from the debate....other than Trump, was Russia.  Vladimir better get his kid to practice for round 2.

As ugly as the first debate was....the 2nd will be worse.  And then the 3rd debate will be on Trump's "home court" with FOX's Chris Wallace as moderator.  I think they should add a 4th debate with Rachel Maddow as moderator just to "even things out."

FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 01:46:55 PM »
The way I see it, the debate went to Trump's advantage simply because he wasn't knocked-out. His voters don't really care about who was right, who was more presidential, etc.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 02:13:52 PM »
The way I see it, the debate went to Trump's advantage simply because he wasn't knocked-out. His voters don't really care about who was right, who was more presidential, etc/quote]

I don't think that debates "move the needle" for EITHER candidates "base voters."  Anyone who was in the Trump camp before....still is there (I think he could....quite literally shoot someone...and it wouldn't matter).  Same is pretty much true for Clinton.

Debates are about the UNDECIDED VOTERS.  I guess we will find that out in a few days with new polls, etc.   Trump would have been better off to have a good LAST HALF of the debate...instead of starting of better...and then finishing poorly.  I think he lost the battle for the "undecided vote" last night.  The good thing for him....is that there are 2 more battles (debates) to fight.

I think that Clinton needs to attack Trump MORE on his tax policies.....which are HEAVILY WEIGHTED to helping the rich.  That attack will resonate with middle class voters in Ohio and Pennsylvania.  Also....both Ohio and Pennsylvania added a LOT of jobs over the last year....something she has to pound the table on.

Giving the wealthy even MORE tax breaks.....and adding trillions of debt to the US budget to pay for it......is a plan that I would attack RELENTLESSLEY if I were Clinton in the next debates (if it is covered).

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 03:08:39 PM »
The way I see it, the debate went to Trump's advantage simply because he wasn't knocked-out. His voters don't really care about who was right, who was more presidential, etc.

Trump's dualistic approach casts the actions of anyone he doesn't like in the most negative terms possible, while using superlatives to describe all that he has done and the great things that will happen during a Trump presidency. Its his version of reality.

His followers are living in a distorted version of reality which will only be shaken by a Trump meltdown. I hope it happens but I doubt it will. Clinton can win all three debates and still possibly lose the election.

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 06:24:03 PM »
"Clinton can win all three debates and still possibly lose the election."

Yes, as did Kerry.
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 06:27:26 PM »
My take is that Trump knew that anyone who would be a likely voter for him wouldn't have the attention span to watch more the the first few minutes. That's why he got his best (if you can call them that) licks in in the first ten to fifteen minutes, and then didn't really bother much about the rest of the debate.

(Of course, his short attention span matches that of his voters, so there's that.)
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 06:57:08 PM »

I wish I could say the same, but I'll vote for Hillary.

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 07:29:09 PM »
"Clinton can win all three debates and still possibly lose the election."

Yes, as did Kerry.

That's true, but I had something different in mind when I wrote that line. The American people are fed up with the political status quo for many reasons, some of which I don't completely understand. Therefore the status quo candidates, i.e. Jeb Bush, and Hillary Clinton would have sailed through the primaries in any other election year. Hillary overcame a strong insurgent candidate in Bernie Sanders. Moderate Republican candidates like John Kasich or Jeb Bush couldn't stop Trump, even with Bush's large campaign war chest.

So you have and insurgent candidate (Trump) versus an establishment candidate (Clinton), who has high unfavorables. Any other presidential election year, Trump would not have gone far even in the primaries, but the landscape is far different this year. What we're observing is possibly a "perfect" storm, and please forgive the hyperbole, but I cant help but draw some parallels with what happened in Germany in the early 1930's.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2016, 09:43:02 PM »
... But who [is] Johnson ...?
Gary Johnson is the former 2-term Republican Governor (1995-2003) of New Mexico (where I grew up, and one of the places (with Texas and Chicago) where dead folks used to regularly vote, I was led to believe).  He made his money in construction before running for Governor and climbed Mt. Everest afterwards.  I think he is a genuine libertarian, wanting minimal government except for military.  He is not a Climate Change denier, but, I understand, he holds the view that government shouldn't do anything about it.  He ran for President in 2012 as the Libertarian Party candidate when he garnered 1.0% of the popular vote; he is likely to do much better this November (2-5%?).
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

longwalks1

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 65
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 12:02:03 AM »
In Iowa, after the caucus and county and then district and my plank of NO MX missile system with 90% present agreeing always got trimmed off going up to the next level, I chose not to go to state convention. I just changed my mind and voted for the man who campaigned on a 50 cents gas tax for mass transit and no MX missile system, that was for Anderson in 1980. 

The great thing about owing and helping to run homeless shelters was the ability to commit semi-frequent non-violent civil disobedience against nuclear weapons.   After enough of both of that, well Canada has no nuclear weapons, and pays better for care-givers to the mentally challenged.  I had better get set up to get that ballot in the mail. 

Rest in peace Paul Wellstone and family.  Paul and Jack Layton are two examples of the best of politicians.  Cancerous dog vomit describes Killary and Trump. 

BTW - no one ever gets to vote for a candidate, only an elector. 

Fairbanksnchill

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2016, 12:17:59 AM »
I am compelled to vote for Hillary due to her claim to actually try to do something about the climate.

Her promotional campaign add here ->

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2016, 12:27:56 AM »
Forum members from the US: who are you going to vote for?

Paddy, why does the voting close on 11/26?

Paddy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2016, 02:45:47 AM »
Because I was lazy when doing the poll. I'll cut it down.

EDIT: Drat, I can't cut it down. Will have to try and remember to hit the lock voting button on November 8th/9th.

Incidentally, I'm not at all surprised by the Trump: Clinton split, but I am slightly surprised by the leak of Stein support. I'm guessing it's because Trump is just that bad / that much of a climate change denier.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 02:50:51 AM by Paddy »

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2016, 02:51:07 AM »
budmantis wrote: "So you have and insurgent candidate (Trump) versus an establishment candidate (Clinton), who has high unfavorables..."

I agree with this analysis, too.

In this election, with a strong whiff in the air of 'throw the bumbs out," someone with such a strong 'insider' status as Hillary was sure to be facings some strong headwinds.

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 744
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2016, 05:39:25 AM »
I don't know how much a debate matters to Trump supporters. If they can support him after all the drivel that has already come out of his mouth I don't think three more days matters much. Conservatives want a conservative even if they know their candidate is flawed.
 I am voting Clinton and I have a big eight foot sign at the end of the farm supporting a local liberal democrat candidate just to piss off the local rednecks. We are traveling down the road to two very different realities and the chasm between the two extremes may at some point swallow us whole.

Sleepy

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2016, 06:25:31 AM »
Hmm, if there was a God, would this soap opera be for real?  ;)

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2016, 08:18:45 AM »
I don't know how much a debate matters to Trump supporters. If they can support him after all the drivel that has already come out of his mouth I don't think three more days matters much. Conservatives want a conservative even if they know their candidate is flawed.
 I am voting Clinton and I have a big eight foot sign at the end of the farm supporting a local liberal democrat candidate just to piss off the local rednecks. We are traveling down the road to two very different realities and the chasm between the two extremes may at some point swallow us whole.

I feel very much the same way. I have friends here in Florida who cant stand Hillary, cant stand Obama and will vote for Trump no matter what. I have older siblings in New Hampshire who feel the same way. Even if Hillary wins, this isn't over. Just like the conservatives who have sought to delegitimize Obama over the past eight years, they'll likely continue to delegitimize Clinton if she is elected. My question is, where does this stop?

One other thing I'd like to mention is that the people I know who will vote for Trump are good people. For whatever reason, (one I'm sure has to do with listening to Fox News), they think voting for Trump is the right thing to do, no matter how misguided it sounds.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2016, 12:45:48 PM »
Only on FOX.....could you have 3 fake journalists sitting and listening to Donald Trump bash a former Miss Universe for the SECOND TIME.....and they just sit there and listen.  Anyone who thought Steve Douchey or his two side kicks had ANY MORALS AT ALL......should now be assured, they have NONE:

http://digg.com/video/trump-miss-universe-alicia-machado

Only in Donald's little world....is it OK to call someone "Miss Piggy"....."Miss Housekeeping"....."Fat".  That is Donald's little world.  And that is also the world of fake news:

If anyone ever wondered why I continually bash on FOX News.....now you know.  FOX is nothing more than a mouthpiece for Donald Trump.  It is DANGEROUS.....even more dangerous than Donald Trump.

What I am surprised at....is there aren't millions of people like me (and others) who bash FOX News for their continued lies.......continued lack of morals......continued lack of decency.

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything."  Albert Einstein....

« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 07:03:31 PM by Buddy »

ritter

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2016, 06:53:00 PM »
I will plug my nose and vote for Clinton. I'd voted for Sanders in the primary, for all the good it did.

The fact that Trump is where he is does not bode well for the future civility of this country.  :(

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2016, 07:15:17 PM »
http://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2016-37497555

Trump rally last night in Melbourne, Florida covered by the BBC. His adherents called on Trump to hit Clinton harder. Perhaps some time in the near future they'll start calling him Der Fuehrer?

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2016, 07:25:17 PM »
I will plug my nose and vote for Clinton. I'd voted for Sanders in the primary, for all the good it did.

Talk with your friends, family, co-workers as well.  I'll supply the nose plugs ;)  I have one myself.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2016, 08:20:29 PM »
The linked Daily Beast article provides a partial list of the numerous bombshells that Clinton could drop on Trump in the second debate, if Trump decides to get dirty:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/09/28/hillary-clinton-saved-the-bombshells-for-round-2.html

The list includes: Trump University, Trump Foundation, etc.

See also:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/09/donald-trump-scandals/474726/
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2016, 08:41:18 PM »
I see someone voted for Trump. I'd really be curious to hear this person's rationale, but understand if you wish to remain anonymous.

ritter

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2016, 11:00:25 PM »

Talk with your friends, family, co-workers as well.  I'll supply the nose plugs ;)  I have one myself.

Most folk I know are already on-board with choosing the lesser of the two turds--easier to choke down. That said, I don't know anyone enthusiastic about Clinton. Or Trump.

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2016, 12:27:19 AM »
Clinton received an endorsement from Republican Senator John Warner of Virginia. Warner served five terms and retired in 2009.

http://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2016-37499678

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2016, 12:56:06 AM »
Arizona Republic Endorses Clinton
The Arizona Republic [newspaper] was founded in 1890, and has served a state (and before that, a territory) that has been a consistently Republican stronghold. Consequently, for over 120 years it has never endorsed a Democrat for president. Well, at least, not until Tuesday, when it came out in favor of Hillary Clinton. It observed that:
Clinton retains her composure under pressure. She's tough. She doesn't back down. Trump responds to criticism with the petulance of verbal spit wads. That's beneath our national dignity. When the president of the United States speaks, the world expects substance. Not a blistering tweet.
That's hitting The Donald where it's sure to sting.

On a separate matter, it interests me how many Democratic-leaning Americans have bought into the oft-repeated (over 20 years or so) Republican talking point of Hillary Clinton not being trustworthy (etc.). 
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2016, 01:21:39 AM »
Here's a cartoon of Trump taking the bait in Monday night's debate. Also one showing Trump losing his cool.

Sleepy

« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2016, 06:29:43 AM »
I see someone voted for Trump. I'd really be curious to hear this person's rationale, but understand if you wish to remain anonymous.
Maybe Charlie Christensen's version of Walt's badly tempered duck can provide a possible rationale?  ;)
"I don't have a problem with alcohol, I've got problems with reality!"

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2016, 07:19:56 AM »
I wonder what member and frequent contributor "Buddy", who has the "go ducks" avatar would say about the above cartoons using Donald Duck? Sleepy, your version of the duck looks to be enjoying a pint of Guinness.

Sleepy

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2016, 08:43:23 AM »
Yes, probably very much but it doesn't have to be Guinness. Arne Anka has been around for over 30 years, the first version (the author has tried to kill him three times) was only interested in alcohol and women and the only thing available to him was alcohol. Most Americans that are familiar with him are probably employed by Disney, as they threatened to sue him during the 90's.
The third and latest version of Arne Anka is more political and the reason for that resurrection was 9/11 and the invasion of Iraq in 2003, according to the author.

Arne Anka might be hospitalized by now due to liver damage, or just stunned to silence by the other quack running for president.

"Sometimes I wonder if I live in a country, or in a joke."

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2016, 12:48:01 PM »
I wonder what member and frequent contributor "Buddy", who has the "go ducks" avatar would say about the above cartoons using Donald Duck? Sleepy, your version of the duck looks to be enjoying a pint of Guinness.

That actually is NOT a cartoon at all.  It is an actual picture of me studying for my last final exam during my senior year at a bar called "The Faucet" ;)

The "history" of Donald Duck between Oregon and Walt Disney is interesting.  Walt Disney....in 1947.....made a "handshake deal" with the U or Oregon to allow Oregon to use the likeness of Donald Duck for their mascot. No written agreement was made until decades later in the 1970's.

http://blog.uoduckstore.com/2014/11/longer-puddles-donald-duck-long-history/

Now....the actual mascot of Oregon (now formally known as "The Duck"...not Donald Duck) is not subject to any agreement with Walt Disney.  BUT....the likeness of Donald Duck on Oregon memorabilia (shirts, pants, stuff, etc) IS subject to a license agreement...and Oregon pays Walt Disney company 50% of the licensing fees Oregon receives (Oregon receives 12% of the sales price...so Disney gets half of that 12%) for any stuff that is sold with the Duck likeness on it.

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2016, 06:21:43 AM »

That actually is NOT a cartoon at all.  It is an actual picture of me studying for my last final exam during my senior year at a bar called "The Faucet" ;)

It must have been a tough one Buddy, you looked pretty frazzled. Especially with all those cigarette butts!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 07:28:36 AM by budmantis »

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2016, 06:27:18 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/29/politics/gary-johnson-hillary-clinton-donald-trump/index.html

The above link is an article asking why Gary Johnson is still running for president. This guy is beginning to make George W. Bush look good with his gaffe about Aleppo and now not being able to name a foreign leader he likes.

Don't understand why William Weld isn't the Libertarian presidential candidate. He once was governor of Massachusetts and a Republican at the time. From what I can recall, he did a good job.

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2016, 06:34:39 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/29/politics/donald-trump-angela-merkel-praise-criticism/?iid=ob_lockedrail_topeditorial

Getting back to Trump, in the above linked article he says he admires Angela Merkel, but criticizes her for her position on the refugee situation.

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2016, 07:50:06 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/29/opinions/clinton-trump-not-binary-choice-rye/index.html

Here's a CNN article by Angela Rye that I think is helpful in understanding Hillary Clinton. One thing I have to remind myself sometimes is that Hillary may have more substance than what the press has given her credit for. Maybe, just maybe there is more to Hillary than we think.

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2016, 03:09:47 PM »
http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/30/media/trump-clinton-wall-street-journal/index.html

"Wall Street Journal columnist urges voters to pick Clinton over unstable Trump". Pulitzer prize winning columnist uses the headline "Hillary-hatred derangement syndrome" (HHDR).

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2016, 09:29:59 PM »
The "USA Today" Editorial Board has never taken sides in the presidential race. We're doing it now.
In the 34-year history of USA TODAY, the Editorial Board has never taken sides in the presidential race. Instead, we’ve expressed opinions about the major issues and haven’t presumed to tell our readers, who have a variety of priorities and values, which choice is best for them. Because every presidential race is different, we revisit our no-endorsement policy every four years. We’ve never seen reason to alter our approach. Until now.

This year, the choice isn’t between two capable major party nominees who happen to have significant ideological differences. This year, one of the candidates — Republican nominee Donald Trump — is, by unanimous consensus of the Editorial Board, unfit for the presidency.

From the day he declared his candidacy 15 months ago through this week’s first presidential debate, Trump has demonstrated repeatedly that he lacks the temperament, knowledge, steadiness and honesty that America needs from its presidents.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2016/09/29/dont-vote-for-donald-trump-editorial-board-editorials-debates/91295020/

Rachel Maddow noted this week that NO major daily paper has endorsed Trump.
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2016, 09:33:04 PM »
U.S. Presidential elections are won using Electoral Votes from each state -- which can differ from the popular vote.  Here's a link to an electoral vote map that distorts the size of each state to reflect the number of electoral votes each has.  It's updated daily according to various polls, and is more statistically rigorous than most.

Note:  Clinton is well ahead of Trump in "95% Safe" states, 214 to 175 (270 needed to win). 
And most of the so-called "swing states" (where the vote could easily go either way) are currently leaning toward Clinton (light blue).

http://election.princeton.edu/electoral-college-map/
The link also has numbers on Congressional races.  Right now, it's 50-50 whether the Democrats will win back the Senate.

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2016, 09:43:42 PM »
The "USA Today" Editorial Board has never taken sides in the presidential race. We're doing it now.
In the 34-year history of USA TODAY, the Editorial Board has never taken sides in the presidential race. Instead, we’ve expressed opinions about the major issues and haven’t presumed to tell our readers, who have a variety of priorities and values, which choice is best for them. Because every presidential race is different, we revisit our no-endorsement policy every four years. We’ve never seen reason to alter our approach. Until now.

This year, the choice isn’t between two capable major party nominees who happen to have significant ideological differences. This year, one of the candidates — Republican nominee Donald Trump — is, by unanimous consensus of the Editorial Board, unfit for the presidency.

From the day he declared his candidacy 15 months ago through this week’s first presidential debate, Trump has demonstrated repeatedly that he lacks the temperament, knowledge, steadiness and honesty that America needs from its presidents.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2016/09/29/dont-vote-for-donald-trump-editorial-board-editorials-debates/91295020/

Rachel Maddow noted this week that NO major daily paper has endorsed Trump.

Trump followers would blame that on mainstream media bias. The USA Today editorial board's decision being unanimous, as well as no major daily paper endorsing Trump is noteworthy.

Checking the poll status, only 21 members have voted. Surely there must be a lot more US citizens in the Forum's membership?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 02:36:22 AM by budmantis »

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2016, 07:41:19 AM »
Washington Post article titled "Trump's bad week is a nightmare for the GOP".

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump%E2%80%99s-bad-week-is-a-%E2%80%98nightmare%E2%80%99-for-the-gop/ar-BBwQO2C?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

Fortunately for those of us opposing him, he just cant seem to shut up. Trump would make a great president for WWE wrestling. Perhaps when this election is finally over, the average temperature  for the planet will go down a little!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 07:47:28 AM by budmantis »

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2016, 01:37:54 PM »

Checking the poll status, only 21 members have voted. Surely there must be a lot more US citizens in the Forum's membership?

Maybe the "low turnout" is because the poll doesn't have a nuclear option like this one:
 ;D
[from Public Policy Polling, back in June]
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 02:12:32 PM by Sigmetnow »

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2016, 02:04:40 PM »
Donald Trump has about $363 million in loans from Deutsche Bank (through several mortgages on 3 of Trump's properties).  The US has been suing Deutsche Bank for its part in the mortgage crisis back in 2008/2009.....and is trying to get $14 BILLION dollars from Deutsche Bank (DB).  DB says it isn't going to pay the US anywhere CLOSE to that amount.

If Donald Trump were to win....he would have a HUGE (YUGE in Trumpian language) conflict of interest.  This is just the tip of the iceberg for conflicts of interest.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/09/trumps-conflict-interest-big-overseas-bank-getting-worse-minute

It is also interesting now....because Deutsche has come under so much speculation and financial pressure over the last 6 months....especially that last couple of weeks.  Since 2014....the stock has dropped from a high of $52 down to $11 earlier this week....before bouncing up to $13.

Banks need to have the public's confidence in their "reserves"....and their overall financial condition.  A bank CAN have a "run on the bank"....where individuals and companies pull their money out of the bank...and that escalates and causes the bank to be "under-reserved" (under capitalized).

Watch Deutsche Bank over the coming 6 weeks......and keep your eye on the banking sector in general in both Europe AND the world.

crandles

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 239
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2016, 05:00:08 PM »
On an environmental forum, the green candidate currently registering 0% looks slightly surprising, but maybe we should expect a strong 'vote Clinton to stop trump' effect.

If you are being criticised for insulting women, should you stop or make sure you do a thorough job of the insults? Hmmm, obviously a tough one to decide that, (at least for one candidate).

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2016, 05:36:08 PM »
Referencing Sigmetnow's post, reply#43:

Even in June, the giant meteor was outpolling Gary Johnson. What I find interesting is the 7% that were unsure, perhaps there should have been another option;

"Giant meteor crashing on Donald Trump"

That would have been my first choice!

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2016, 05:38:58 PM »
If you are being criticised for insulting women, should you stop or make sure you do a thorough job of the insults? Hmmm, obviously a tough one to decide that, (at least for one candidate).

Pretty incredible really.  I've seen much more maturity out of junior high schooler's.  Plus....I have NEVER seen someone with such a knack for outright lying.  It does NOT say much for the US.....that someone like Trump could get more than 10% of the vote....let alone 40%. 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 05:53:36 PM by Buddy »

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2016, 05:42:55 PM »
I don't do such polls usually, but crandle's comment prompted me to represent for Stein.

I am in a relatively 'safe' state for Clinton, so there is really no chance that my vote would sway the main election either way. So really, it would be 'throwing my vote away' NOT to vote for a third party candidate, especially since, if Stein gets 5% of the state vote, the Green party gets official status, which confers various perks.

I find Johnson idiotic and unpalatable.

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2016, 05:21:27 AM »
http://www.aol.com/article/2016/10/01/ivanka-trumps-new-campaign-ad-targets-women-voters/21484551/

I wonder if Ivanka Trump's new campaign add targeting women voters will help Donald Trump after this past week's meltdown? For me it's a resounding no.