Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Arctic Café  (Read 722683 times)

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
Re: Arctic Café
« Reply #1000 on: February 25, 2018, 03:42:48 AM »
As usual, The Onion (satire site) has it exactly right.

Sighing, Resigned Climate Scientists Say To Just Enjoy Next 20 Years As Much As You Can
https://www.theonion.com/sighing-resigned-climate-scientists-say-to-just-enjoy-1823265249/
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Pmt111500

« Reply #1001 on: February 25, 2018, 06:25:22 AM »

Sighing, Resigned Climate Scientists Say To Just Enjoy Next 20 Years As Much As You Can
https://www.theonion.com/sighing-resigned-climate-scientists-say-to-just-enjoy-1823265249/
Anna-Lisa Feldt is a Swedish name, at least 1 person (an elderly lady) living not very far from Sleepy's is called thus. Maybe we should send her flowers, for letting Onion publish her speech in the conference?

In other news, maybe it's time to start eating take-out ? Or will it also be detrimental? Likely. https://www.theonion.com/climate-experts-say-only-hope-for-saving-planet-lies-wi-1819579500 http://m.legacy.com/obituaries/gainesville/obituary.aspx?n=ellen-chen&pid=187086732&referrer=0&preview=false
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 07:21:17 AM by Pmt111500 »

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 120
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1002 on: February 25, 2018, 08:40:25 AM »
Yeah, smashing gal though, for a 91 year old.  ;D
Omnia mirari, etiam tritissima.
-
Science is a jealous mistress and takes little account of a man's feelings.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #1003 on: February 25, 2018, 11:09:28 AM »

Thankyou so much, Sigmetnow.

I will adapt that approach the next time I meet that clever fool in the pub.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #1004 on: February 25, 2018, 10:35:14 PM »
Neven,

Here is another robot article.  This is another tidal wave coming at us which will severely disrupt society.  I was obviously joking a bit when I said that the rich will just replace all the riff raff with robots.  But only a bit.  There is not much doubt that all most all jobs can be replaced in time with AI driven technology.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/610298/tech-companies-should-stop-pretending-ai-wont-destroy-jobs/
We do not err because truth is difficult to see. It is visible at a glance. We err because this is more comfortable. Alexander Solzhenitsyn

How is it conceivable that all our technological progress - our very civilization - is like the axe in the hand of the pathological criminal? Albert Einstein

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #1005 on: February 25, 2018, 10:42:02 PM »
Neven,

Here is another robot article.  This is another tidal wave coming at us which will severely disrupt society.  I was obviously joking a bit when I said that the rich will just replace all the riff raff with robots.  But only a bit.  There is not much doubt that all most all jobs can be replaced in time with AI driven technology.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/610298/tech-companies-should-stop-pretending-ai-wont-destroy-jobs/

Thanks, Jim, will read. Somebody posted a really good article 1-2 years ago somewhere here on the Forum, explaining the two pathways of AI and robot benefits: Either for the people, who will have to luxury of working less, or for concentrated wealth. It was a really good, nuanced article. Should've bookmarked it.

I've taken some more time off lately (so I'd have more time to finish things in and around the house), but tomorrow I'm back in the saddle. Luckily, no robots as of yet who can properly translate from one language to another, because we humans still don't understand enough about language to explain it to them.   :)  8)
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 99
« Reply #1006 on: February 26, 2018, 02:01:38 AM »
Before next Mars hysteria arrive: rational assestment about space setlements by Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson, his speech at the WGS 2018, World Government Summit 2018 in Dubai:
YT video here. Note "discovered" earth at 12:32. (what photo? Earth arising i guess)
Worth listening even for reasons other then space related.

BTW: How to keep humans from ruining the search for life on Mars

Space Explorer Mike @MichaelGalanin Feb 24: "The sunset on Mars appears blue..."

--ivica Sentience Quotient (SQ) 10[]
  whats the big picture, context, guiding principle, plan? why society does what it does? whats the point?

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #1007 on: February 28, 2018, 03:52:47 AM »
I have found the explanation for everything.  And the answer is not 42.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/feb/28/hate-body-odour-youre-more-likely-to-have-rightwing-views

The downside of this theory is obviously that "dem lefwingr's like stink!"  Now, come to think of it, some of them hippie girls I remember from the way back so happened to smell a bit...maybe there is something to this.
We do not err because truth is difficult to see. It is visible at a glance. We err because this is more comfortable. Alexander Solzhenitsyn

How is it conceivable that all our technological progress - our very civilization - is like the axe in the hand of the pathological criminal? Albert Einstein

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: February 28, 2018, 07:43:49 AM »
Maybe just lack of proper wording and leniency?

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960982217316160/pdfft?md5=a3ab4022311d336fe5819b7e627ddd20&pid=1-s2.0-S0960982217316160-main.pdf

People struggle to name odors [1–4]. This has been attributed to a diminution of olfaction in trade-off to vision [5–10]. This presumption has been challenged recently by data from the hunter-gatherer Jahai who, unlike English speakers, find odors as easy to name as colors [4]. Is the superior olfactory performance among the Jahai because of their ecology (tropical rainforest), their language family (Aslian), or because of their subsistence (they are hunter-gatherers)? We provide novel evidence from the hunter-gatherer Semaq Beri and the non-hunter-gatherer (swidden-horticulturalist) Semelai that subsistence is the critical factor. Semaq Beri and Semelai speakers—who speak closely related languages and live in the tropical rainforest of the Malay Peninsula—took part in a controlled odor- and color-naming experiment. The swidden-horticulturalist Semelai found odors much more difficult to name than colors, replicating the typical Western finding. But for the hunter-gatherer Semaq Beri odor naming was as easy as color naming, suggesting that hunter-gatherer olfactory cognition is special.
-

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #1009 on: February 28, 2018, 03:52:10 PM »
"The sunset on Mars appears blue..."

Yes; Mars is “backwards”:  daylight is red, sunset and sunrise are blue!
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: February 28, 2018, 04:11:57 PM »
Damia Bouic made this nice comparison in 2015:
-

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: February 28, 2018, 06:06:14 PM »
More from space:

Corey S. Powell Retweeted NASA HQ PHOTO @nasahqphoto 13h13 hours ago:
   "The Soyuz spacecraft with Expedition 54 crew @AstroAcaba, @Astro_Sabot, and Alexander Misurkin is seen under parachute as they return from 168 days onboard @Space_Station. Check out the first images - https://flic.kr/s/aHsmeWUd77"

NASA HQ PHOTO @nasahqphoto 3h3 hours ago:
   "Additional images posted from the Expedition 54 @AstroAcaba, @Astro_Sabot, and Alexander Misurkin landing! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmeWUd77"

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: February 28, 2018, 08:15:39 PM »
ivica, that link you posted above to Tyson's speech was great, in the description below the video they state:
You can now watch the edited version which includes the slides, at the World Government Summit channel at <video removed>. So I checked the World Government Summit channel, no video there with Tyson, at all. Now why would they remove that?  ???
-

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: February 28, 2018, 09:21:59 PM »
sleepy, i'm wondering too - have checked *that* video several times over a week to see if eventually reappears, searched... Nope.

(well, found russian ?mirror? at https://ruclip.com/video/2p6D6RjUJEg/neil-degrasse-tyson-why-a-colony-on-mars-is-unlikely-to-happen.html but that is what we already have)

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: March 01, 2018, 08:07:29 AM »
Joe Rogan Experience #1078 - Jimmy Dore(video mentioned earlier) has now 999,999 views, beer on me for the next viewer! Well done folks :)

< no collection of broken clocks can efficiently replace fully functional one >

--

Sabine Hossenfelder Retweeted EUScience&Innovation @EUScienceInnov 17h17 hours ago

"President Juncker appoints Robert-Jan Smits as Open Access envoy based at the European Political Strategy Centre (EPSC) with the task to propose concrete policy recommendations to ensure that all publicly funded scientific publications are available in Open Access by 2020"

< if every corp dem is a broken clock, how many of them do we need for gps to function? >

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: March 03, 2018, 03:08:08 PM »
Reposted Wildlife #167 with addition:

https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/animals/photos/11-of-the-smallest-mammals-in-the-world/itty-bitty-fur-balls

"A baby marmoset monkey rests on a human hand. (Photo: bluedog studio/Shutterstock)"

< monkey says: "embracing nonviolence means minimizing trail of destruction left behind you" >

johnm33

« Reply #1016 on: March 03, 2018, 06:28:17 PM »
Eddies at play

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: March 04, 2018, 12:18:04 PM »
This time Joe Rogan features Kyle Kulinski "Secular Talk", co-founder of Justice Democrats.

Streamed live on Feb 27, 2018: 919,362 views currently

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: March 05, 2018, 07:38:32 PM »
"Michio Kaku at World Government Summit 2018: Updates to Visions of the Future."

Prof. Michio Kaku gives his traditional speech with new slides and updates in light of latest events, like future of autonomous cars (12:20), space travel (13:20,) role of Governments (20:25), digitalization of the human brain (28:00), future of A.I. (33:00). February 2018.

Watch it here.

Commercial as always, and entertaining:

"your Royal Highnesses, your excellencies..."
   "Is there intelligent life on the Earth? Probably not."
   "where does wealth comes from anyway?"   (no mention of robbing Earth for it)
   "you have a cocktail party - and there are some very important people... but you do not know who they are. In the future you'll know exactly who to suck up to at any cocktail party."

He talk about "perfect capitalism" and not much about meaning of it for humanity. What if greedy people will control all that? :shock:

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: March 06, 2018, 09:41:46 AM »
Sabine Hossenfelder Retweeted John Carlos Baez @johncarlosbaez 10h10 hours ago
   "Policy-makers are starting to assume we'll suck massive amounts of CO2 from the air later in this century, to prevent dangerous global warming.  But how is that actually gonna work???  This method is gaining favor, but it's not without problems: https://tinyurl.com/baez-BECCS"

tinyurl https://plus.google.com/+johncbaez999/posts/eMezTD4RYd3 starts with:
   "Since we've waited so long to do anything,"

Who waited? We? How is that? What do "we planetary spread" know about the CO2 problem?
How aware are "we" of the problem known for a century?
Who failed to make "us" timely aware of that problem?
Is there widespread attempt to spread awareness at least now? I don't see that! Why is that so?!

In the absence of proper question(s) the answer will remain to be "42".

< Will the same (failed & still allowed to fails further) mindset continue to 'lead' in effort/attempt to define/solve the problem? >   

Eh.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #1020 on: March 06, 2018, 06:45:42 PM »
Here's a really good interview with Jimmy Dore, that I enjoyed a lot more than the Joe Rogan interview:

The enemy is within

E. Smith

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: March 07, 2018, 09:30:57 AM »
Boo Triword from the video supplied by Neven, above (31:55): Concentrated Corporate Power.

Concentrated Corporate Power
< Who failed (and still fails) to make humans (timely) aware of the CO2 problem (known for a century)? >

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: March 14, 2018, 08:35:54 AM »
Stephen Hawking dies aged 76
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43396008
-

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #1023 on: March 14, 2018, 09:16:06 AM »
Stephen Hawking dies aged 76
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43396008
Damn
The world lost a great mind.

Terry

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: March 16, 2018, 11:55:12 AM »
Certainly so, Terry.

In Sweden the green party (MP) has not only lost their mind, but also their soul.
I'll try to make the quote a bit more understandable.
https://www.expressen.se/debatt/mp-maste-genast-lamna-regeringen/
This is a lonely crying voice in a party about to lose its soul, one of the most painful breakdowns in modern Swedish politics. In the EU elections in 2014, MP became the second largest party - but death awaits in the upcoming election this fall, all while the Arctic is melting, overfishing the world's oceans, virgin forests are beeing deforested, the Baltic sea is dying and the party should be right in the middle of the fight, trying to save this earth. But no: MP is busy pretending to reign. Now there's only six months left to prove themselves. Therefore, leave the impotent government and start fighting for life if you still think that Sweden needs a strong independent green party.

Wonder why I've always said that I don't have a party to vote for? What's left here is our former communist party, but merely as a protest. If they ever got there they would probably be mesmerized and corrupted by lucrative friendly promises as well.
The light blue's (S, our former Social democrats...) MP are reigning with, is discussing with our real blue's (M, right wing) to sue Trump over the steel tariffs.  ::)
Staying friends is nice, I wish they were staying friends with Earth instead, otherwise we'll all be broke soon.

-

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #1025 on: March 19, 2018, 01:02:21 PM »
I'm a man without a cafe:

The enemy is within

E. Smith

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: March 20, 2018, 05:07:05 PM »
In about 8 minutes at 16.15 gmt it is the equinox

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: March 20, 2018, 05:15:56 PM »
In about 8 minutes at 16.15 gmt it is the equinox

Talking serious stuff entertaining way: Big Picture Science podcasts 1 & 2 . 8 y hence no significant change in human awareness of The Problem.

Img from Space Explorer Mike @MichaelGalanin Mar 10:

Where is our pale blue dot today?

Garden  Calling  ...

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: March 20, 2018, 06:29:35 PM »
I should be content that one other person thought the equinox was worth noting. That makes the ASIF equal with my local pub.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #1029 on: March 20, 2018, 11:22:03 PM »
I should be content that one other person thought the equinox was worth noting. That makes the ASIF equal with my local pub.
Add me to your little list...

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: March 21, 2018, 12:25:25 AM »
I think it's Putin's fault. Only a Commy would want even days and nights to be equal.
Terry

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: March 21, 2018, 04:46:52 AM »
Mornin', me too.
-

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: March 23, 2018, 10:39:55 AM »
severe-weather.EU Retweeted kbrin @kbrin_ 18h18 hours ago: "Mars colony #Crete #Heraklion #stormdust #NoFilters"

also, reminds me on nearest exoplanet Proxima Centauri b?

Context: post here and the following one .

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: March 23, 2018, 12:04:18 PM »
There are some amazing images and videos from Crete now, ivica. It's certainly nice to have such online services available.
-

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #1034 on: March 23, 2018, 12:06:51 PM »
That looks like the set of Blade Runner 2049.  :o
The enemy is within

E. Smith

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: March 24, 2018, 07:51:17 PM »
EFJ Workshop: Digital journalism and new business models

"36 journalists, union leaders and media experts from 20 European countries discussed issues around new business models and trends in (digital) journalism from 15-16 March 2018 in Nuremberg, Germany. With great enthusiasm participants explored recent trends in journalism,  successful new models in financing journalism and the role of unions and associations to best service their members in this process of change."

BTW: http://europeanjournalists.org/blog/2018/03/19/danish-government-plan-to-strongly-reduce-funding-for-public-service-broadcasting/

"The European Federation of Journalists (EFJ), representing 320.000 journalists across Europe, is shocked to learn that the Danish government intends to cut 20 percent of funding for Danish public service media (DR). The EFJ urges the government in Denmark to withdraw its proposal."

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: March 25, 2018, 07:10:39 PM »
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 07:38:13 PM by ivica »

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: March 26, 2018, 08:47:18 PM »
"Mark Zuckerberg makes appeal for people to respect his privacy" at UK Spoof News and Satire - NEWs Thump.

“In order to get on with my life, I’m asking news and media organisations to refrain from using the information they have about me simply to advance their commercial interests."
"Zuckerberg went on to say that using details about his friends and family without their consent in news reports was ‘deeply unpleasant”, and left him feeling sick when he learned about it."

--

Assange is a hero.

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: March 28, 2018, 07:00:49 PM »
Fun corner

Many returns DuckDuckGoing for "all models are wrong".

"All models are wrong but some are useful".

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: March 30, 2018, 01:50:14 PM »
WikiLeaks Retweeted Bruce King @CrowdvBank 41m41 minutes ago: "14. Tim Black, @RealTimBlack, joins the online vigil to #ReconnectJulian (Julian Assange), introduced by @ElizabethleaVos."

"Internet entrepreneur Kim Dotcom joins Suzie Dawson and a host of other supporters of Julian Assange and WikiLeaks, in an online vigil event." Video here, cued to 8h01m40s.

More: https://twitter.com/CrowdvBank

< Assange is a hero. >

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: March 30, 2018, 09:25:08 PM »

< Assange is a hero. >

And he needs to be heard!
Terry

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: March 31, 2018, 01:16:08 AM »

< Assange is a hero. >

And he needs to be heard!
Terry

Yep  .

< composing what the proper qst is could lead great deal toward the answer >

><

"Noam Chomsky, Slavoj Zizek, Brian Eno and other prominent figures demanded Assange be reconnected to the outside world."
https://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Intellectuals-Demand-Internet-Access-for-Julian-Assange-20180330-0005.html

The Jimmy Dore Show Published on Mar 30, 2018: Assange Internet Cut Off By Ecuador For Doing Journalism

><

Context: Julian Assange @JulianAssange 13 Oct 2017: "The US & UK governments continue their attempts to arrest me in violation of two UN rulings and their own laws (Sweden ceased) https://www.iamwikileaks.org/donate/"

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: April 04, 2018, 10:35:37 AM »
While the west dumbs down the east do not follow.
btw: https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/306226/has-the-west-lost-it/

NUS: National University of Singapore
The AlumNUS, issue #113, Apr-Jun 2018 - avail for download at:
https://issuu.com/nusgraduates/docs/alumnus_apr_-_jun_2018/18

NUS has emerged as the top university in the Times Higher Education (THE) Asia University Rankings 2018, published by THE on 7 February, retaining its position for the third year running. (pg 6)

Brain Training Workshops (pg 9)
Do you know: Cognitive deterioration starts from as early as late 20s!

An institution is only as strong as its people. (pg 16) < They are so radical :LOL: >

Last year, the Land Transport Authority announced that the annual allowable car growth in Singapore will be reduced to zero from February 2018, as part of the push towards a car-lite society. (pg 22)
Singapore has also signed the Paris Agreement, pledging to reduce carbon emissions. Going car-lite is one way to commit to that agreement. (pg 23)

"Where's our sense of social responsibility?" by Prof Kishore Mahbubani. (pg 26-27)
To reinforce this point, let me also cite the evidence of our lack of social responsibility at the global level. As a regular participant in many global conferences, I know that there is now a clear consensus among the best-educated and most thoughtful elites in the world that climate change is real.

"Stronger together" they wrote opposing "Divide & conquer" and warmongers & hysterics of the west. Weird word that "together", um where I saw the word before?

--
Waiting for eventual video/report of upcoming Kishore visit to Europe, I'll put it here if avail.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #1043 on: April 04, 2018, 10:50:12 AM »

I keep forgetting!  ;D
The enemy is within

E. Smith

magnamentis

« Reply #1044 on: April 04, 2018, 08:31:29 PM »

I keep forgetting!  ;D

LOL but it can be compensated to a very high degree by learning and thinking and other kinds of training, while of course the majority would prefer to stick to the "costumbres" which is to what they already know and are already used to, except if they find something that supports the fair human portion of laziness (remaining in the comfort zone) which then will ultimately and inevitably catapult us/them out of that zone.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 08:43:14 PM by magnamentis »

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: April 08, 2018, 10:06:43 PM »
Introducing YT Channel Black Pigeon Speaks: What attracted me initially to his videos are pigeons. I'm serious.

Living in the capital city at the time I was doing pretty much the same - helping pigeons. It's unbelievable for many what a human hair can do to their fingers/feet. (think about health of feral life as a proxy info about health of environment i.e. if they are in bad shape then something is wrong there ...)

BTW: In Confrontation With The Amnesia Force - Black Pigeon Speaks, Published on Sep 17, 2016: US Elections And Facebook And YouTube And Google...

Amazing birds, I learned a lot about&from them. Attached, "I & them":

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #1046 on: April 11, 2018, 07:23:44 PM »
Introducing:  Steve !!

Not me, this Steve is brighter.

New kind of Aurora Borealis.  Well, newly-discovered and understood:

Introducing ‘Steve’, a newly discovered northern lights
https://tecake.in/introducing-steve-a-newly-discovered-northern-lights

Enjoy,

Steve (the less bright)

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: April 11, 2018, 07:47:14 PM »
Never saw anything like that!

I did see a quite bright strip of mainly white light that appeared to be about three moons in length late at night in the middle of summer a few years back. I thought it might have been an example of a Nocto Luminescent cloud.

It's all exciting!
Terry

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: April 11, 2018, 10:36:26 PM »
Fun corner

Imagine Earth spining in other direction, retrograde - whats the effect on climate?

https://eos.org/articles/reversing-earths-spin-moves-deserts-reshapes-ocean-currents

In some respects, the retrograde rotating Earth might seem to be the better place, with, for instance, 11 million square kilometers less desert than what is found on our actual planet.
The simulated retrograde Earth “has more green areas, which is definitely something you can see as a plus,” said Ziemen. “But it depends on where you live. If you’re in western Europe, you’re way better off with [the actual] Earth because on the retrograde Earth it is really cold there.”

---

Fresh news wrt orgy of warmongers and their hysterics:
http://newsthump.com/2018/04/11/syria-accused-of-attacking-daily-mail-hq-after-journalists-found-foaming-at-the-mouth/

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: April 11, 2018, 11:25:49 PM »