Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Arctic Café  (Read 387153 times)

magnamentis

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
    • Philosophy Ethics Numerology Mikrocirkulation Vaskular Therapie Gesundheit Blut Gesundheit Schmerzen Multiple Sklerose Diabetes Immunsystem Fibromyalgia Modular Mobile Computing iOS Software OSX Android Custom Rom Rooted
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 41
Re: Arctic Café
« Reply #1150 on: June 13, 2018, 04:01:27 PM »

if this means that we build life boats from substance of the boat we are on it's spot on, just would like some more people that this applies especially for the current way we build batteries, just replacing exploitation of fossil fuels with exploitation of other materials that won't do much less harm and cause less wars than do oil and the likes.

only theoretical solution is change of life style (higher farther longer faster more and more)
and only practical solution sooner or later implemented by mother nature itself will be a reduction in population and other substantial disruptions, kind of one or several reboots.

we probably can't even imagine what it will take to reduce world population to 1.5-2 billion within a relative short time span, i'm probably one of the lucky ones who can watch that happen from above, simply due to age ;)
http://magnamentis.com
Knowledge, Understanding & Insight Are Among The Best Sources For Personal Freedom & Vitality !

Susan Anderson

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #1151 on: June 13, 2018, 07:02:18 PM »
We desperately need to go the other way. Two powerful narratives show the way:

The Story of Stuff  https://storyofstuff.org/
For example, in movies this should speak to all of us (video posted below): https://storyofstuff.org/movies/story-of-electronics/

and https://www.ellenmacarthurfoundation.org/circular-economy
Looking beyond the current "take, make and dispose” extractive industrial model, the circular economy is restorative and regenerative by design. Relying on system-wide innovation, it aims to redefine products and services to design waste out, while minimising negative impacts. Underpinned by a transition to renewable energy sources, the circular model builds economic, natural and social capital.

ivica

• ASIF Middle Class
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1152 on: June 14, 2018, 08:53:58 AM »
Communality, one of nested layers of emergent awareness

"...but the good news is this, since the western project has succeed the rest of the world is happy to cooperate with US and Europe in building strong global multilateral institutions. Exhibit 'A': Climate change agreement in Paris...".

that is Kishore Mahbubani, again. Tirelessly - for decades - spreading message about need for enhanced global multilateralism.

"The Economist asks: Has the West lost its touch?", 2018-06-07.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 09:16:43 AM by ivica »

gerontocrat

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 95
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #1153 on: June 16, 2018, 12:32:49 PM »
GRACE Follow-on is operational - already in the 85 Day testing period

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=7156

GRACE-FO Turns on 'Range Finder,' Sees Mountain Effects/center]

Recently Launched Twin Satellites Create 'The Himalaya Plot'
Less than three weeks after launch, the Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment Follow-On (GRACE-FO) mission has successfully completed its first mission phase and demonstrated the performance of the precise microwave ranging system that enables its unique measurements of how mass migrates around our planet.

The twin spacecraft launched May 22 from California's Vandenberg Air Force Base. NASA and German Research Centre for Geosciences (GFZ) engineers and mission controllers at the German Space Operations Center in Oberpfaffenhofen then spent the first few days completing the mission's launch and early operations phase and moving into an 85-day in-orbit checkout period. Science operations will begin when that period has been successfully completed.

Explanation of attached image
Along the satellites' ground track (top), the inter-spacecraft distance between them changes as the mass distribution underneath (i.e., from mountains, etc.) varies. The small changes measured by the Microwave Ranging Instrument (middle) agree well with topographic features along the orbit (bottom). Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/GFZ
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"

ivica

• ASIF Middle Class
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: June 17, 2018, 12:20:55 PM »
In absence of the real stuff in my vicinity

severe-weather.EU @severeweatherEU 2h2 hours ago: "Beautiful capture of an isolated thunderstorm over the northern Adriatic sea from Lošinj Island, Croatia. June 14, 2018. Photo: Vilson Berisha"

a documentary, story about sprites...
and some real action here: Shooting the Everlasting Storm | That’s Amazing
more, The Maracaibo Lake - Catatumbo Tour Part 1 & Ivan Torrent - Icarus (feat. Julie Elven)

ivica

• ASIF Middle Class
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: June 17, 2018, 09:42:28 PM »
KATRIN experiment
"The KArlsruhe TRItium Neutrino (KATRIN) experiment, which is presently being assembled at Tritium Laboratory Karlsruhe on the KIT Campus North site, will investigate the most important open issue in neutrino physics:

What is the absolute mass scale of neutrinos?"

Reason for posting it is "a slight" problem of transportability of the spectrometer tank from the manufacturing to the exploiting place: "The tank is too big for motorways, and the canal between the rivers Rhine and Danube has to be ruled out, too. Thus, instead of a journey of about 400 km, the spectrometer has to travel nearly 9000 km as indicated in the map."

Check this  :o  8)

"Fig.10: Transport through Leopoldshafen"

Map, photos & more info here. (Found as tweet of Corey S. Powell @coreyspowell 22h.)

ivica

• ASIF Middle Class
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: June 18, 2018, 08:49:55 AM »
2018-05-06, event in neighbourhood "Roger Waters - Us + Them Tour 2018 - Arena Zagreb" which i missed. and that is not all, Zoran Predin was a couple of kilometers away from me quite recently - i missed that too.

time, eh, deserves a short Café entry...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 09:37:08 AM by ivica »

ivica

• ASIF Middle Class
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: June 18, 2018, 06:27:26 PM »
Human made earthquakes  :o

"Mexico’s Institute of Geological and Atmospheric Research reported an increase in seismic activity at exactly the moment Lozano scored in the 35th minute of the game against reigning champions Germany – sparking mass celebrations..."
https://www.rt.com/sport/430033-world-cup-goal-earthquake/
also at BBC Sport: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44513006

That about laugh seems more serious then i thought.

ivica

• ASIF Middle Class
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: June 19, 2018, 06:01:27 AM »

johnm33

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1159 on: June 19, 2018, 10:44:37 AM »
Can't have a cafe without ice cream

« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 02:20:31 PM by johnm33 »

ivica

• ASIF Middle Class
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: June 19, 2018, 11:53:13 AM »
Remark, new "WGS 2018" video by ExpovistaTV (not listed in channel's Uploads section) appeared lately on YT:
"Neil DeGrasse Q&A Session at World Government Summit." by ExpovistaTV, Uploaded on Jun 4, 2018
Also, fits with my recent somewhat OT comment at "Neoliberalism: Influence on AGW/CC Denial, Climate Policy & Politics".

ivica

• ASIF Middle Class
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: June 19, 2018, 04:14:48 PM »
Great Science Communicators

Neil deGrasse Tyson is of "Carl Sagan's type". I like that type, so inspiring. Human at its best. And influential. For some.

Carl Sagan on Climate as an Emerging Issue (1990)
by Climate State Published on Apr 12, 2017: 7,310 views

1. part as above + 2.part more details (1990)
by Teresa Davidson Published on Oct 1, 2017, 1 view   *??just me??*

--

Google do not be evil!

< As the Concentrated Corporate Power grew so is the CO2 Problem. Can we stop it? >
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 04:24:16 PM by ivica »

ivica

• ASIF Middle Class
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: June 20, 2018, 08:42:29 AM »
road where we are all pushed to walk together
this song has something to do with that

Tor Bejnar

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #1163 on: June 22, 2018, 02:14:58 PM »
NASA's chilling 30-year-old warning
We were warned. On June 23, 1988, a sultry day in Washington, James Hansen told the US Congress and the world that global warming wasn’t approaching — it had already arrived.

The testimony of the top NASA scientist, said Rice University historian Douglas Brinkley, was “the opening salvo of the age of climate change.”

Thirty years later, it’s clear that Hansen and other doomsayers were right. But the change has been so sweeping that it is easy to lose sight of effects large and small — some obvious, others less conspicuous. ...
It is nice to see a straight forward article in Fox News on climate change, but how I found it is a mystery. (It is in the "Science" and "Planet Earth" threads, but I didn't find it those way.)
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things.

Susan Anderson

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #1164 on: June 22, 2018, 07:20:16 PM »
@Tor Bejnar. I saw that first in a report by Elizabeth Kolbert at my favorite, The New Yorker. There's a good post at RealClimate: http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2018/06/30-years-after-hansens-testimony/

You're right, it is good to see it on Fox. Fox does, from time to time, do good stuff, like Neil deGrasse Tyson's program, and there is a Saturday program on technology and science, particularly for the young, that is excellent.

Tor Bejnar

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #1165 on: June 22, 2018, 08:48:49 PM »
Europe's Largest Asset Manager Sees 'Tipping Point' on Climate Risk Pricing

via climatechangepsychology.blogspot.com
The world’s deepest-pocketed investors are starting to take climate change seriously, according to Amundi SA.

by Anna Hirtenstein, Bloomberg, May 30, 2018

“We are really observing a tipping point among the institutional investors on climate change,” said Frederic Samama, co-head of institutional clients at the Paris-based firm. “Until recently, that question was not on their radar screen. It’s changing, and it’s changing super fast.”

Risks from global warming range from damage to physical assets from extreme weather to falling prices on fossil fuel-related assets, as the world moves away from burning coal and oil. Bank of England governor Mark Carney has repeatedly warned that these risks are not priced in adequately and that investors may have exposure to a “climate Minsky moment” if they don’t take action.
I get tired of pollsters asking what is my 'main' issue ("from the following list"), and 'environmental anything' (never mind 'climate change') is never on their list.  When it becomes important to major investors, maybe it will become important to pollsters - hope, hope!
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things.