Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Arctic Café  (Read 722808 times)

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 50
Re: Arctic Café
« Reply #250 on: January 18, 2014, 02:09:23 PM »
Not much to see with climate but still very interesting !
Natural ball lightning probed for the first time
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn24886-natural-ball-lightning-probed-for-the-first-time.html?cmpid=RSS|NSNS|2012-GLOBAL|environment#.Utp8M6FKHUJ

Pmt111500

« Reply #251 on: January 28, 2014, 04:59:49 AM »
With the release of Cowtan&Way dataset that takes the arctic and other areas, that have been excluded from HadCrut, in consideration it might be good to consider what might happen if the recent climate history would repeat itself. This thought experiment requires, though, one rather unscientific assumption, but it may still be somewhat useful, funny, whatever. (Groundhog century)

johnm33

« Reply #252 on: February 16, 2014, 03:48:38 PM »

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #253 on: February 20, 2014, 05:16:49 PM »
This explains a lot.  I thought they were bought or just a**holes.

Canadian researchers have confirmed what most people suspected all along: that internet trolls are archetypal Machiavellian sadists.

In a survey conducted by the group of psychologists, people who partake in so-called trolling online showed signs of sadism, psychopathy, and were Machiavellian in their manipulation of others and their disregard for morality.

The researchers defined online trolling as “the practice of behaving in a deceptive, destructive, or disruptive manner in a social setting on the Internet” for no purpose other than their pleasure

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/online-trolls-are-psychopaths-and-sadists-psychologists-claim-9134396.html
We do not err because truth is difficult to see. It is visible at a glance. We err because this is more comfortable. Alexander Solzhenitsyn

How is it conceivable that all our technological progress - our very civilization - is like the axe in the hand of the pathological criminal? Albert Einstein

ccgwebmaster

• Nilas ice
  • Civilisation collapse - what are you doing?
    • View Profile
    • CCG Website
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #254 on: February 20, 2014, 06:29:28 PM »
This explains a lot.  I thought they were bought or just a**holes.

And the internet makes it possible. In real life you'd just punch them in the face or shoot them once they got obnoxious enough. Hence the much greater proportion of trolls online vs reality, it's a cowards pastime.

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #255 on: February 20, 2014, 06:45:30 PM »
This should probably be in the (really) stupid questions thread, or the arctic hallucinations thread, if we had one...but does anyone else see an angry elephant in this sea ice map?:

http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/NEWIMAGES/arctic.seaice.color.000.png

(The trunk is going out the Fram, the angry eyes on either side of the NP just toward the Pacific side, and the scary mouth being the new melt around Franz Josef Land.)
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #256 on: February 20, 2014, 07:32:44 PM »
Wili
Though I'm loath to challenge your interpretation, what you're seeing is obviously a female Columbia Woolly Mammoth, in pain while attempting successfully to void her last meal which probably consisted of some variety of Arctic Jalapeno.
The possibility of this being an Elephant is ruled out by the hanging hair & a Mastodon would sport much shorter tusks.[size=78%]
Terry

[/size]

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 20, 2014, 09:02:53 PM »
Drinking before lunch again?
We do not err because truth is difficult to see. It is visible at a glance. We err because this is more comfortable. Alexander Solzhenitsyn

How is it conceivable that all our technological progress - our very civilization - is like the axe in the hand of the pathological criminal? Albert Einstein

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #258 on: February 21, 2014, 04:05:38 AM »
Hey, we had the goat's head, why not elephants? As this one fades into pink, though, we may have problems!

"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 24, 2014, 05:53:50 PM »
In the realm of poorly spent resources.

Europe has 11 million empty houses.  Yikes!  By way of comparison the US at about the same size as Europe has about half as many.  Now we know where to send those Bangladeshi's when the sea level rise pushes them out  ;D

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/feb/23/europe-11m-empty-properties-enough-house-homeless-continent-twice?CMP=twt_gu

OldLeatherneck

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 24, 2014, 06:41:27 PM »
I'd rather send them enough "TeaBaggers" from the US!
"Share Your Knowledge.  It's a Way to Achieve Immortality."  ......the Dalai Lama

ccgwebmaster

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • CCG Website
« Reply #261 on: February 24, 2014, 07:52:34 PM »
In the realm of poorly spent resources.

Europe has 11 million empty houses.  Yikes!  By way of comparison the US at about the same size as Europe has about half as many.  Now we know where to send those Bangladeshi's when the sea level rise pushes them out  ;D

But the market is operating efficiently. Part of the operation of a modern capitalist market is that you have wasted idle resources in achieving your optimum profitability. Empty houses? Unemployed workers? Homeless people? Food to burn in engines? Starving people?

They are simply spare capacity or "necessary" wastage in the system as the world works today.

ccgwebmaster

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • CCG Website
« Reply #262 on: February 24, 2014, 07:53:04 PM »
I'd rather send them enough "TeaBaggers" from the US!

What, then, could we ridicule the US about?

Oh...

No, I won't go any further on that thinking!

JackTaylor

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #263 on: February 24, 2014, 10:58:17 PM »

What, then, could we ridicule the US about?

Oh...

No, I won't go any further on that thinking!

Aw, a little TinC won't hurt, make it entertaining.

TinC = Tongue in Check,
some prefer TiC

ccgwebmaster

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • CCG Website
« Reply #264 on: March 24, 2014, 03:43:28 AM »

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 24, 2014, 04:20:32 PM »
ccg

Had me laughing.  Did you notice the stick of dynamite on the bookshelf?

ccgwebmaster

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • CCG Website
« Reply #266 on: March 24, 2014, 05:18:50 PM »
Had me laughing.  Did you notice the stick of dynamite on the bookshelf?

Must admit I hadn't...

pikaia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 121
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #267 on: April 08, 2014, 08:18:09 AM »
I see that in addition to the usual categories of World, UK, Business etc, Google News now has a new one - Global Warming!

https://news.google.co.uk/

ccgwebmaster

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • CCG Website
« Reply #268 on: April 08, 2014, 08:20:42 AM »
I see that in addition to the usual categories of World, UK, Business etc, Google News now has a new one - Global Warming!

Under Science?

Strikes me as pretty... dated - that a supposedly up to date leading edge technology company such as Google should still use the term global warming...

pikaia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 08, 2014, 08:42:18 AM »

Under Science?

No, a new category on the left-hand side:-

World
U.K.
Business
Technology
Entertainment
Sports
Science
Health
Spotlight
Global warming

ccgwebmaster

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • CCG Website
« Reply #270 on: April 08, 2014, 08:59:22 AM »

Under Science?

No, a new category on the left-hand side:-

World
U.K.
Business
Technology
Entertainment
Sports
Science
Health
Spotlight
Global warming

It must be location dependent then - as for me it's showing under science - even when I go to the UK link (I am not geographically located in the UK currently...).

pikaia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 08, 2014, 09:06:57 AM »
It must be location dependent then - as for me it's showing under science - even when I go to the UK link (I am not geographically located in the UK currently...).

I think I see what is happening. When I signed out the "global warming" category disappeared, so it   seems to be personalised for me. I guess that if you use a search term several times then it creates a new category for it!

icefest

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 08, 2014, 09:46:39 AM »

I think I see what is happening. When I signed out the "global warming" category disappeared, so it   seems to be personalised for me. I guess that if you use a search term several times then it creates a new category for it!

That is correct. When I realised that it happens i made my own personalised google news - highly recommended as you can even remove the things that don't interest you.
Open other end.

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 08, 2014, 05:29:54 PM »
If you leave your camera on the screen uncovered some sites will track what you look at and customize your advertising for you as well.  Isn't that nice!  ;D

Mine is covered.

ccgwebmaster

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • CCG Website
« Reply #274 on: April 08, 2014, 06:43:30 PM »
If you leave your camera on the screen uncovered some sites will track what you look at and customize your advertising for you as well.  Isn't that nice!  ;D

Mine is covered.

Er, while the camera can be covered to stop quiet activation - I'm not sure how a website would use your camera to see what you are looking at...

They use cookies, generally, to tailor advertising to your browsing habits. I haven't looked into the details enough to know how they make them so heavily shared between web sites (I suspect it's common sourcing of the adverts, which are linked elsewhere), it always strikes me as rather incongruous sometimes to see some of the adverts I do in very out of context places (given the very wide diversity of sites I visit).

So you're on a website looking up an answer to a programming question, and you get an advert for, say, welding rods?

icefest

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 09, 2014, 12:24:21 AM »
Cookies and javascript are simple to use to track which pages to visit. Together with the two main advertising companies most ads you see will be somewhat tailored to you.

If you want to stop that then private browsing in combination with a javascript blocker will stop that - and it'll work much better than covering the camera with a bit of tape.
Open other end.

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 09, 2014, 02:25:00 AM »
ccg

I am not an expert in how it is done I just saw something that said it was being done.

(note a google search could not find it just now)

I expect tracking where your eyes are looking and knowing what is displayed where on your screen at that time is how you would do it.

But maybe that part is BS?  The hack the webcam to see what is going on within view thing is done in mass of course.

ccgwebmaster

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • CCG Website
« Reply #277 on: April 09, 2014, 03:01:34 AM »
I am not an expert in how it is done I just saw something that said it was being done.

A little bit about cookies for behaviour driven advertising:

http://www.mediumblue.com/newsletters/internet-advertising.html

It's by far and away the simplest way to do it that I know of and for corporate purposes no real sense expending more time and effort than you need to. It's also a bit of a pain to switch off as many sites require cookie data to work properly.

Some companies of course - like google - can also drive the adverts using data from a much bigger chunk of your online activity as so many people use them as a portal (and indeed I think most of their income is from pay per click advertising - adwords is in a lot of places, although I think it may try to match content to the surrounding site rather than to the behaviour of the user).

I expect tracking where your eyes are looking and knowing what is displayed where on your screen at that time is how you would do it.

But maybe that part is BS?  The hack the webcam to see what is going on within view thing is done in mass of course.

Using the microphone and webcam on the computer to spy on the surroundings - sure.

Tracking the eyes to cross reference with the screen - maybe it's technically possible, but I'm leaning towards skepticism for it as a useful activity. You've got all you need in the data already for any purpose I can think of. If we're talking web stuff you don't even really need the screen - as the data used to render it will be transmitted.

Can't really say I know much about it either though,

ritter

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
« Reply #278 on: April 09, 2014, 06:27:07 PM »

Using the microphone and webcam on the computer to spy on the surroundings - sure.

Tracking the eyes to cross reference with the screen - maybe it's technically possible, but I'm leaning towards skepticism for it as a useful activity. You've got all you need in the data already for any purpose I can think of. If we're talking web stuff you don't even really need the screen - as the data used to render it will be transmitted.

Can't really say I know much about it either though,

I believe the Samsung Galaxy 4 smart phone already has this eye tracking feature. I think it's more a software function than a hardware function, provided the webcam is of sufficient resolution. I've often thought of sticking a thumbtack through the one on my laptop...

ccgwebmaster

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • CCG Website
« Reply #279 on: April 09, 2014, 10:57:52 PM »
I believe the Samsung Galaxy 4 smart phone already has this eye tracking feature. I think it's more a software function than a hardware function, provided the webcam is of sufficient resolution. I've often thought of sticking a thumbtack through the one on my laptop...

Really? Used for what? I could see possible scope for gesture control using the eyes...

I guess if it's possible it'll happen though - and we're getting to a point where it's hard to say what is plausible or not - a lot of jobs previously seen as human ones are going bye bye in coming years (assuming no major external disruption).

Driving, for instance.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
« Reply #280 on: April 10, 2014, 05:30:30 AM »
About fifteen years ago, for my sins, i was around when some very large databases were being compiled, at that time it took about 10 clicks to positively tie a human to the datastream. Now, I understand, that you are positively identified as soon as you go online, that is, as soon as your computer wakes up and makes an internet connection. Just an IP address or a phone number is quite enough.

Use Tails and Tor, very carefully, for anything you don't want tracked.

I suppose the advice in the last sentence is useless for the vast majority, who have no idea what I am talking about, and would probably disclose too much even with tools like those.

sidd

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 19, 2014, 10:44:47 AM »
A conference will be available soon about Thomas Piketty

http://www.gc.cuny.edu/Public-Programming/Calendar/Detail?id=24235

The French economist Thomas Piketty (Paris School of Economics) will present a lecture on his new book, Capital in the Twenty-First Century. In this landmark work, Piketty argues that the main driver of inequality—the tendency of returns on capital to exceed the rate of economic growth—threatens to generate extreme inequalities that stir discontent and undermine democratic values. He calls for political action and policy intervention. Joseph Stiglitz (Columbia University), Paul Krugman (Princeton University), and Steven Durlauf (University of Wisconsin–Madison) will comment. The event will be introduced and moderated by Janet Gornick and Branko Milanovic (Graduate Center, Luxembourg Income Study Center). - See more at: http://www.gc.cuny.edu/Public-Programming/Calendar/Detail?id=24235#sthash.f9VKh5K8.dpuf

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #282 on: April 19, 2014, 11:25:24 AM »
That's interesting. A friend of mine sent me a link last week to a Guardian article discussing the new book by Piketty:

Capitalism simply isn't working and here are the reasons why

Economist Thomas Piketty's message is bleak: the gap between rich and poor threatens to destroy us

Suddenly, there is a new economist making waves – and he is not on the right. At the conference of the Institute of New Economic Thinking in Toronto last week, Thomas Piketty's book Capital in the Twenty-First Century got at least one mention at every session I attended. You have to go back to the 1970s and Milton Friedman for a single economist to have had such an impact.

Like Friedman, Piketty is a man for the times. For 1970s anxieties about inflation substitute today's concerns about the emergence of the plutocratic rich and their impact on economy and society. Piketty is in no doubt, as he indicates in an interview in today's Observer New Review, that the current level of rising wealth inequality, set to grow still further, now imperils the very future of capitalism. He has proved it.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

johnm33

« Reply #283 on: April 20, 2014, 09:23:39 PM »

ritter

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
« Reply #284 on: April 21, 2014, 06:51:52 PM »

Really? Used for what? I could see possible scope for gesture control using the eyes...

Good question! I don't use it! I do believe it is for gesture control, pauses movies if you look away (but I don't watch movies on the little thing) that sort of "useful" stuff.

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: April 22, 2014, 02:25:52 PM »
A book about the citizen's science of climate change and about flowers...
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22229640.900-what-climate-change-has-done-to-waldens-
woods.html?cmpid=RSS|NSNS|2012-GLOBAL|environment#.U1ZfaY9Jzld

Frighteningly, temperatures have risen around 4° Fahrenheit since Thoreau's day, and many of the plants he saw have vanished. Analysis suggests plants that can change their flowering time survive, while less adaptable species don't. The harsh message of climate change is "adapt, move or die". For plants that can't adapt or move their range to cooler climes, local extinction is likely. It is a message that may also apply to humans, if we don't heed the advice Primack suggests we take from Thoreau: "live simply".

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 25, 2014, 09:42:41 AM »
The video featuring Thomas Piketty is available.

Terrible French accent...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 09:50:09 AM by Laurent »

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 25, 2014, 10:05:52 AM »

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 25, 2014, 08:37:21 PM »
Some movies to see until the 30th of april.
http://www.greenupfilmfestival.com/en/les-films/

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 28, 2014, 09:54:20 AM »

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 28, 2014, 08:18:35 PM »
Fighting For Environment, Climate And Justice: the 2014 Goldman Prize Winners

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mary-ellen-harte/fighting-for-environment_b_5226601.html?utm_hp_ref=green&ir=Green

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 29, 2014, 10:40:42 AM »
Fresh-baked satellite will soon be our eye on Earth

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn25473-freshbaked-satellite-will-soon-be-our-eye-on-earth.html?cmpid=RSS|NSNS|2012-GLOBAL|environment#.U19kUI9Jzlc

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #293 on: May 02, 2014, 03:00:22 PM »
"Fed Up"....the trailer about the documentary on our food companies.  I know.....such a surprise to see that our food companies could lie to us (after tobacco companies lied for decades....and fossil fuel companies are lying now:).

FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 02, 2014, 06:23:55 PM »
By the way, I am looking for a vegetable that I can grow in my garden to make sugar, a bit like beet. I tryed to replant one from the industry but it did rote... Do you know (all) something else, I should go to the garden thread but it is reaction about the last post.

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 02, 2014, 10:39:49 PM »
A new movement is emerging from the ashes of the old environmental activism. Focusing on current facts rather than wishful thinking, it focuses on adaptation and resilience to changed conditions. Farmer Wendell Berry is right: Without commitment to the health of a particular local place, no place will remain livable for long, especially as out-of-control climate shifts spiral forward. Those who have a deep understanding of how nature works and a sustaining connection to it; who can grow some food, build shelter and save water; and who can be intelligently resilient, flexibly reactive, calm and nimble on their feet -- may have the best chance of survival.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/linda-buzzell/passionate-green-its-not-_b_5242347.html?utm_hp_ref=green&ir=Green

Anne

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #296 on: May 11, 2014, 02:09:12 PM »
This is a very entertaining instructional tool illustrating that correlation does not equal causation. Illustrations include

(0.947091) Per capita consumption of cheese (US) with Number of people who died by becoming tangled in their bedsheets

crandles

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 239
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #297 on: May 11, 2014, 04:00:10 PM »
This is a very entertaining instructional tool illustrating that correlation does not equal causation. Illustrations include

(0.947091) Per capita consumption of cheese (US) with Number of people who died by becoming tangled in their bedsheets

But cheese does does nightmares which do causes increase in cases of getting tangled in bedsheets  ;)

ccgwebmaster

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • CCG Website
« Reply #298 on: May 12, 2014, 10:46:56 PM »

It does make bedsheets seem remarkably dangerous though...  :P

Clearly regulation and/or prohibition is needed.

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 13, 2014, 09:07:52 PM »