Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Arctic Café  (Read 722548 times)

abbottisgone

• Frazil ice
  • "...I'm a rock'n'roll star,...... YES I ARE!!!!!!"
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Arctic Café
« Reply #800 on: October 27, 2016, 04:16:21 AM »
The Merchants' Wheel

Now human means transcend
All human measure
And pile up wealth
To impoverish the heart,

Men trace the heights of fear
The depths of pleasure,
Now human means transcend all
Human measure,

Simply to channel this
Blind wave of treasure
Regardless what bonds
Its bright streams wrench apart.

Now human means
Transcend all human measure
And pile up wealth
To impoverish the heart.

(by Les Murray)
But I left school and grew my hair
They didn't understand
They wanted me to be respected as
A doctor or a lawyer man
But I had other plans..........

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 99
« Reply #801 on: October 29, 2016, 06:21:26 PM »
Pmt111500, thanks. Nice photo.

Music and beauty are all around us. In order to be able to hear and see that - one have to tune into. "Do not throw pearls before swine" strugle comes later .

What’s a ‘system of systems’?

It’s a system made of many disparate parts, each of which is a complex system in its own right. The biosphere is a system of systems. But so far, people usually use this buzzword for large human-engineered systems where the different components are made by different organizations, perhaps over a long period of time, with changing and/or incompatible standards.

Sklona je sreća vitezu !?

---

What happened at AGU?
What is going on at Elsevier? (a lot to search/read if one care about)
example from 2007, and 2012, not even read by me - i don't have that time - reality objects - :scream:
Other institutions? Can Lamar type freaks win ?
none said to me that we are declassified to a worms now . beat . beat .. beat ... beat 5?
Out Of Control? Why? Can't  we do better?

---

How shallow is your world?

Reshaping tweet of Neil deGrasse Tyson,  Oct 9 2016:
"How I Got Evil Elected while Dismantling the Republican Party ."

biti primitivan i biti neobrazovan su neovisne karakteristike .

- -

Cool blog about interconnectivity ...: Open and Interconnected Systems

"Interconnection and openness are tightly related. Indeed, openness implies that a system may be interconnected with its environment. But what is an environment but comprised of other systems? Thus the study of open systems becomes the study of how a system changes under interconnection with other systems."

How about complexity of brain stuff, mitochondria,....

Cooperation, not competition, is what prevails in nature, in an ecosystem, human's body included.
How nature does that?

, (abbott thanks!)

its not just that they do not see *our* whole picture,
(God forbid mention of nature whole picture :) they do not see even their whole picture. bustards .-

<Edit due to change in forum rule of handling Youtube link.>
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 11:32:26 PM by ivica »

skanky

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: November 02, 2016, 10:50:35 PM »
Not sure if this maybe could have its own thread, but thought I'd put it here.

Just caught the last 5 minutes of today's episode of this, and it looks pretty good:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b081z1pw

Not sure how long it will run, and I realise only UK based people will likely be able to watch it. That said, it may be worth playing with get_iplayer if you have linux.

I intend to put aside some time to watch it all from the start (even if there are some bad bits, there will be stuff worth watching).

abbottisgone

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: November 03, 2016, 04:49:38 AM »
Pmt111500, thanks. Nice photo.

Music and beauty are all around us. In order to be able to hear and see that - one have to tune into. "Do not throw pearls before swine" strugle comes later .

What’s a ‘system of systems’?

It’s a system made of many disparate parts, each of which is a complex system in its own right. The biosphere is a system of systems. But so far, people usually use this buzzword for large human-engineered systems where the different components are made by different organizations, perhaps over a long period of time, with changing and/or incompatible standards.

Sklona je sreća vitezu

---

What happened at AGU?
What is going on at Elsevier? (a lot to search/read if one care about)
example from 2007, and 2012, not even read by me - i don't have that time - reality objects -
Other institutions? Can Lamar type freaks win
none said to me that we are declassified to a worms now beat 5?
? Why? Can't  we do better

---

How shallow is your world?

Reshaping tweet of Neil deGrasse Tyson,  Oct 9 2016:
"How I Got Evil Elected while Dismantling the Republican Party "

biti primitivan i biti neobrazovan su neovisne karakteristike

- -

Cool blog about interconnectivity ...: Open and Interconnected Systems

"Interconnection and openness are tightly related. Indeed, openness implies that a system may be interconnected with its environment. But what is an environment but comprised of other systems? Thus the study of open systems becomes the study of how a system changes under interconnection with other systems."

How about complexity of brain stuff, mitochondria,....

Cooperation, not competition, is what prevails in nature, in an ecosystem, human's body included.
How nature does that?

, (abbott thanks!)

its not just that they do not see *our* whole picture,
(God forbid mention of nature whole picture :) they do not see even their whole picture. bustards

No probs: yeh I like stuff and me and Dad talk about this stuff a lot. He was quite concerned the multi-year sea ice in the Arctic would disappear this year and he is professionally involved in the writing of contribution of input to the IPCC reports.

The panic factor is not far away... things will change very soon in the political sense. IT'S ALL TOO REAL NOW!!

;)
They didn't understand
A doctor or a lawyer man

Pmt111500

« Reply #804 on: November 03, 2016, 06:55:00 AM »
Time to change the mural on the café wall, I think. This one is made by strict rules altering the original by Zachary Labe (https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,1611.msg92939.html#msg92939) quite a lot. At least it's always nice to have options. (the previous one was too technical to my taste at least https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,179.msg26727.html#msg26727)

(Modded) or maybe people would like a weave of the same theme? (second image)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 11:17:46 AM by Pmt111500 »

johnm33

« Reply #805 on: November 04, 2016, 04:29:01 PM »
Looks like the Russians are getting ready for a fight. http://siberiantimes.com/other/others/news/n0797-anyone-for-a-snowball-fight/

P-maker

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 72
« Reply #806 on: November 04, 2016, 05:32:35 PM »
John M,

that is indeed fascinating!

I will have to think and study over the weekend to figure this out. It's hardly snowballs, but maybe "coastal rollers", if such a thing exists...

solartim27

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 75
« Reply #807 on: November 05, 2016, 12:32:18 AM »
More weird stuff

http://www.bbc.com/news/37875609
The Canadian military has investigated a mysterious pinging sound coming from the sea floor in a remote region of the Arctic, officials have told the BBC.

The strange noise is reported by local people to have frightened animals away over the past few months.

A military aircraft conducted various multi-sensor searches in the area, officials said on Friday.

But the military says it is so far unable to explain the cause of the "acoustic anomalies".
FNORD

Anne

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #808 on: November 07, 2016, 01:53:51 AM »
I heard Rachel McCarthy read at Poetry in Aldeburgh today. A climate scientist and a poet. she is a wonderful communicator. Check her out: http://www.rachelmccarthy.com/about.html

abbottisgone

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: November 13, 2016, 09:27:37 AM »

Trump subsequently promised, in an interview with the Wall Street Journal, to consider retaining aspects of Obama’s signature Affordable Care Act “out of respect” to the outgoing president. During the campaign, Trump had promised to “repeal and replace” the reforms but never explained a replacement in detail, nor its funding. And in a second interview with the CBS programme 60 Minutes, Trump said he would ensure that that people with pre-existing conditions and children living with their parents for an extended period were still covered.

“It’ll be just fine. That’s what I do. I do a good job,” he said. “You know, I mean, I know how to do this stuff. We’re going to repeal it and replace it. And we’re not going to have, like, a two-day period and we’re not going to have a two-year period where there’s nothing. It will be repealed and replaced. I mean, you’ll know. And it’ll be great healthcare for much less money.”

<<

Trump biographer Gwenda Blair also said the businessman was “entirely likely” to govern like a moderate Republican. “His pronouncements during the campaign were part of a performer’s strategy of always controlling the headlines by saying something and then topping that and topping that,” she said.

“Twitter was technology’s gift to him in that he could keep leapfrogging ahead of any fact check. He’s a dealmaker who always wants to make it happen to his advantage. The gamble the nation has taken is that it will now work to the nation’s advantage.”

source: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/12/donald-trump-campaign-promises-transition-team

TRUMP IS CHANGING: he's using words like 'amend' so watch this space!
They didn't understand
A doctor or a lawyer man

Pmt111500

« Reply #810 on: November 17, 2016, 11:57:51 AM »
The trees look wintery as the low pressure fronts crossed here last night with rains on their way to the Arctic. Temperature is +4.5°C

OrganicSu

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #811 on: November 17, 2016, 08:01:39 PM »
Today I am angry, to the core of my being. Angrier than I remember ever having been. At recent generations for increasingly pillaging this beautiful earth, our only home. At the absolute greed and stupidity of my parents' generation who exponentially increased the destruction and thought us accordingly. At myself especially. At my generation who continued the exponential growth in destruction. At what my generation are now teaching their children.

My brother is angry at me for stopping and wanting to live like a hermit.

My grandfather's favourite saying was "Willful waste makes woeful want". How true.

Yesterday I planted a hundred sprouted acorns and remembered doing so with my grandad.  2 years ago I tried to find them but they had become a shopping centre.

I am so angry at myself for what I have done, at those around me who understand but continue.

And for remaining silent. And for being ineffectual when I do speak.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #812 on: November 18, 2016, 11:00:38 PM »
I want to get angry again.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

OrganicSu

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: November 27, 2016, 09:01:09 AM »
CO2 doesn't have different effects whether it is caused by a climate change denier or a climate change believer.

I am responsible for previously emitting obscene amounts of CO2. Despite that, I find it increasingly difficult to accept climate change believers who don't reflect upon and alter their own actions - fly, drive, build, eat food from great distances, eat beef etc.

A person I know living near here, fully cognisant of the "Armageddon" that's coming and why, owns a crossbow for self defense and hunting (who has rationalised and accepted cannibalism) is building a large concrete house, thick wooden beams etc. Why? Why have I not asked/confronted him?

When will our stupidity become socially unacceptable?

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: December 02, 2016, 10:29:54 PM »
Retwitting: (a time while ago)

Cenk Uygur ‏@cenkuygur 3h3 hours ago

The Democrats lost the House, the Senate and lost to Donald F'in Trump. Is there any reason why everyone at the DNC shouldn't be fired?
0 replies 2,795 retweets 4,751 likes

- (November 19, 2016, 02:15:23)

Jumpin' Jack Flash

- "not everything is negotiable" .

0 1 2 3 .

(Presaditi ću divlju šljivu u moje dvorište, na nju ću ucijepiti pup s marelice posadjene 1925., godina rodjenja majke moje, prenesi to sebi jeseni slijedeće.)

More - Sea .

For those who want to know where I reside: I'm about here .

« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 11:36:20 PM by ivica »

pearscot

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 190
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #815 on: December 06, 2016, 05:09:46 AM »
First of all, I love this form and I really like reading everyone's comments. I'm not hyper active on here, but I read the forum daily and I worry for our poor Earth. 

Anyways, the more I think about things and try to tie loose ends together the more I really see and understand the points made in the documentary called Hypernormalism.  It's interesting to see how both Putin and Trump spread lies/misinformation at such a constant and insane rate that people completely lose track of reality and can no longer discern what is real and what isn't.  It's scary how the internet has in many ways isolated people into their own echo chambers where such thoughts are only amplified and the most powerful ones become the talking points.  Anyways, it all makes me sad and every single day I have an existential realization about Trump becoming president.

On a different note I'm happy that I finally got my blog back in action after 11 months of downtime and that I'm slowing doing better with severe depression.
pls!

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #816 on: December 07, 2016, 11:21:53 PM »
Good luck with the depression, Pearscot. And don't let Trump influence your mood. He's not the problem. The system is. And the system wants us all to focus on Trump.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #817 on: December 07, 2016, 11:38:20 PM »
(Presaditi ću divlju šljivu u moje dvorište, na nju ću ucijepiti pup s marelice posadjene 1925., godina rodjenja majke moje, prenesi to sebi jeseni slijedeće.)

Zvuci dobro (ako si se meni obratio)! Bas smo prije par tjedna sadili jednu marelicu od jednog Bio-Baumschule ovdje u Austriji. Vidit cemo hoce li prezivjeti. Smokva iz Poljicke Republike se dobro vratila nakon lanjske kasne zime pocetkom petog mjeseca, cak I rodila, ali bilo je prekasno da se smokve dobro razviju. Nadam se da ce ona dobro proci ovu zimu i nastavit rast sljedece godine.

Stoj mi dobro, pozdravi zenu i limune.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

longwalks1

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 65
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #818 on: December 08, 2016, 01:24:28 AM »
Finally, snow, but not the predicted 30 cm.  Still saw over 200 geese and also ducks last two days around the Red River and the Seine in Winnipeg, MB CA but that might be it until March or April when the first few geese return to the Seine. 

Ice finally starting on the Red, especially due to the snow dump after the warmest November here ever.  Please not frazil ice as we can't skate or ski on the river if it does.  Peace out. 

Milret2

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 135
« Reply #819 on: December 08, 2016, 06:50:59 PM »
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-pearl-harbor-anniversary-20161207-story.html

This is simply a story from the LA times about a man who survived the Arizona bombing, has nothing to do with climate change, environmental degradation, weird weather .. whatever. I hope it is enjoyable and sobering. That day needs to be remembered.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 09:55:41 PM by Milret2 »

Pmt111500

« Reply #820 on: December 09, 2016, 07:30:39 AM »
Pythagorean scale diminshed fifth or lesser septimal tritone (or at least very close to those) makes an appearance on earth: http://contextearth.com/2016/06/26/ridiculous-paper-on-ocean-oscillation/
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 09:41:55 AM by Pmt111500 »

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: December 11, 2016, 04:04:15 PM »
Neven, da, to je za tebe.

Moja ekipa uzvraća pozdrave tvojoj ekipi :)

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: December 13, 2016, 01:02:19 AM »
quick notes from a top of my head (no discussion here):

http://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,617.msg96465.html#msg96465
While they're at it, maybe the geniuses can also tell us who hacked the CRU servers to cause Climategate? Because that seemed to be so much to ask at the time.  ::)

Anyway, very strange developments. I don't know what to make of it. Does this mean the US Secretary of Finance will not be provided by Goldman Sachs?
US East Coast 'inteligentzia' strikes again? Sachs, Ah.

"aggressive progressives" ever heard of them?. Jimmy Dore, yep .
Yep again, that Jimmy, right from the bag of deplorables. 2y ago.

"unaware & compliant": how patheticaly primitive.

A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims... but accomplices.
-George Orwell
"I am told time and time again by the rich and powerful, and the mainstream media that represent them, that we should be “practical,” that we should accept the status quo; that a truly moral economy is beyond our reach."
http://religionnews.com/2016/04/15/full-text-bernie-sanders-speech-at-the-vatican/

Cooperation, not competition' is what prevails in nature, for otherwise we wouldn't be here. --ivica

« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 11:40:15 PM by ivica »

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #823 on: December 13, 2016, 04:07:23 PM »
"aggressive progressives" ever heard of them?. Jimmy Dore, yep .
Yep again, that Jimmy, right from the bag of deplorables. 2y ago.

I've been watching the Jimmy Dore Show a lot, ever since I ran into this a couple of weeks ago.

Cooperation, not competition' is what prevails in nature, for otherwise we wouldn't be here. --ivica

Istina.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #824 on: December 13, 2016, 05:34:20 PM »
Thanks for the heads up re. Jimmy Dore.

Why are we differentiating between Fascism and Predatory Capitalism?
Both are the combining of Big Government with Big Business. Dropping regulations doesn't equate with smaller government, it's simply Big Government complying with the demands of Big Business to the detriment of the populace.

To survive this destruction of our environment we require at a minimum the cooperation of all the world powers. No conflicts, no upheavals, no wars. We can't "Make America Great" at the expense of making others poor. If it's Us against Them, we all go down together.

Terry

OrganicSu

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #825 on: December 14, 2016, 06:45:19 PM »
Climate change is like boxing. A lot of 1, 2's, a few right hooks and then a knock you off your feet blow but you get up, the round finishes. The next round starts, your back on shakier feet and its constant tap, tap, tap, wearing you away...

Here, the drought (started around Jan 1 2016) is constant, it hurts the spring veg etc. Then a super-heatwave in June slaps hard, slam - right hook - no water for 3 weeks in July and it's 38 degrees in the shade. Back to the constant heatwave, slam - closet well runs dry. Jaw punch - bee master was first time unsuccessful in making new bee colonies, so I got scarred and bought 15kg of honey (paid him extra as he had 1/5th normal production and felt he couldn't increase the price - "next year will be normal or great". Punch in the stomach - olive harvest, what I give my all for is very bad. 
Knock down! The rain came. Got 7,000 liters of the precious stuff. Then slowly, I realise I've been knocked down - a semi circle of destruction, 15km radius, runs around me (floods, dead animals, destroyed roads etc, mountains of debris on the beach, tornadoes. Oh god almighty save us. 500 year old olive trees torn apart, braches weighing tons flung around. I still haven't absorbed the violent uncontrolled power of a tornado.
Bell, break. Start cleaning the beach.
Round 2 starting soon...

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #826 on: December 14, 2016, 07:49:05 PM »
I'm sorry you're having so much bad luck. Hang in there, OrganicSu.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: December 21, 2016, 08:43:24 PM »
So, what guide us in our thinking?

"Hang in there, OrganicSu." Ditto from me!

"Astrologists, climatologists and pollsters, each uses charts, models, and esoteric mathematics to foretell the future..." TerryM, i bow to you :)

Istina.
:) and that is scalable, lets try imagine that majority of 10^14 'microbes' of a human body starts to compete with the host? What chance of survival that gives? and similarly with other life

While we are at progressives: Sane Progressive, and for those thinking about (election) forecasts: one pick. Something like "i had it correct, 3 times in a row".

????????????????????????????????????????????????
so, what is supposed to guide us in our thinking
????????????????????????????????????????????????

Inside Out  .  Upside Down

« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 11:43:28 PM by ivica »

OrganicSu

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: December 30, 2016, 07:31:29 PM »

Anyone who says "we're fucked, we're fucked" and does little to reduce their carbon footprint and little to prepare for being fucked is doing a lot of damage to preventing climate change. People who don't believe climate change exists or that it's that serious have their "not worried" viewpoint confirmed by the lack of action from Gavin Smith's caricature.

Even those who do believe we're fucked are lulled into a false sense of security and inaction by the warmth emanating from these caricatures.

Either STFU or act in accordance with your words.

I know I can't undo my past emissions. That hurts. But looking forward to 2017. A chance to get onto my right path.

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: December 31, 2016, 01:56:35 AM »
Edit 20161230: -- : fart by impression of moment :  give me a break : OK. Done.
A-Team: howdy there, in a better world i would be bringing you a coffee,  earning to learn something from you... (btw; anytime, you want something here - in Cafe, that's on me our friendž)
can you tetradiply yourself ?

For overseas visitors, listen 1..3 of it before you proceed to the rest:

(there is) no gadget or amount of money (that) can make someone less primitive - but helps exposing it. <my words>

When exposing a crime is treated as commiting a crime, you are being ruled by criminals.
Who said that ?

I can see clearly now - Jute san se zajubio - Nature .
Pismo moja - Ti i ja For the ppl by the ppl.
Humans, where are you, your help could  help us

December 23, 2016, 11:23:19:
Happy Holidays - Happy New Year - All The Best
Make Your The Best Wish For All Of Us - We Know We Need That
Merry Christmas to my fellow christians and my love to all of life

siscia civitas mundi?

The best to all, see you ...
A gift to you all, virtual one, my birth place, my photo, my history: (gone, B. Hussein O. took that.)

« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 11:47:27 PM by ivica »

skanky

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: January 06, 2017, 01:07:44 PM »

OrganicSu

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: January 07, 2017, 01:14:00 PM »
The cars and planes stop
Can be proved to be true
Is it now but a step and a hop?
As long as you make it through
Morning hills covered in majestic hue

A-Team

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 944
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #832 on: January 07, 2017, 06:33:06 PM »
iveca: 'Cooperation, not competition' is what prevails in nature, for otherwise we wouldn't be here. A-Team:  howdy there, in a better world i would be bringing you a coff
That got cut off, coffee or coffin? Either way, timely and thx. Looking back, I came first here to learn and keep up, share what I had, get ideas on living even more simply, collaborate on topic coverage, help ride with Paul Revere on raising the alarm, but recently have moved on to merely bearing witness for the future, though lately it seems more like writing its obituary.

Bad behavior on the Lusitania and Titanic may not be the best precedent for climate change as 'food insecurity' is hardly encountered on cruise ships, so maybe Uruguayan Flight 571 -- the rugby cannibals of the Andes -- is more what to expect when there is not enough to go around.

There is quite a bit of cooperation with the animals around here. Very few species in the desert can make it on their own, they almost all move in herds or packs or pairs or flocks or coveys like the mule deer, javalinas, harris hawks, brewer sparrows, quail, and mourning doves, sharing food harvest and lookout duties. The birds -- and even the chipmunks -- have learned each other's alarm calls and startle as one organism.

Capitalism of course sees everything through its fogged little lens and has the birds at each other's throats. Yes we have bullies like the curved bill thrasher and predators like the fox and bobcat who aren't set up to eat the roots and berries, the latter requiring taurine at every meal.

But even here predators are doing the rodents a favor by keeping numbers at a level the land can support and helping along with rodent fitness by picking off the others.

Indeed when I was advising on the vertebrate genome projects, one of the first of many culturally unacceptable results was that rodents have thousands more functional genes than humans.

Both genomes are riddled with junk DNA, over a million defective copies of virus-like replicative units; these expand faster than selection can get rid of them, with the pufferfish the only known exception. Our culture chokes though on straightforward science.

Like birds with their more efficient lungs and advanced neurons, mice had sharper vision, far more discriminatory olfaction, keener hearing and indeed overall more highly evolved proteins than humans (whose knees and backs are evidently just works in progress).

And that's thanks to the owl and bobcat for all that natural selection -- the mouse proteome is calculated to be 200 million years in the future on the timescale of human evolution. We're never going to get caught up.

Loki's Castle is another case in point. It's a deep sea vent south of Svalbard, see map corner in a recent post. Our closest living prokaryotic relative still lives in the anaerobic muck there, the Lokiarchaeum branch on the tree of life.

There's not a lot of energy to be gleaned in an autotrophic environment using molecular hydrogen as terminal oxidant with a nickel cofactor catalyst poisoned by early oxygen, but a big breakthrough from the anthropomorphic perspective came from a cooperative symbiosis with a micro-aerobic planktonic marine α-proteobacteria, later to become a  talent-sharing endosymbiont known as the mitochondrion.

And the rest is history: oxidative metabolism, 37 ATP from one glucose molecule instead of 1-2.

This bears a curious parallel to climate change or growth-has-no-limits, in that while the above ignoble origin of multi-cellular eukaryotes such as ourselves has been proven beyond the shadow of a doubt*, there remains a very active pseudo-controversy about it.

The opposition cloaks itself in science-speak but it is religion-driven hostility that postulates that their divine (not yours) sparked the whole very special ascent of man, not bit-by-bit evolution.  (Alternatively, maybe some evolution happened but it was purposive and predestined the natural order which is despotic white libertarian anglo-male rule.)

Monkey trials still go on in the US hinterlands (~ red states on election maps); this antagonism to the inconvenient truth about our lowly origins merely backs up chimps a couple billion years for the devout non-evangelicals.

Go ahead, break your spear on capitalism but it goes back much farther, to when we made up that bit about being given dominion over nature and our bogus separation from it, go forth and multiply, call the other animals 'game', display arrogance in announcing an Anthropocene instead of the Stupidocene.

*Phylogenetic analyses at this distance, while giving the correct answer, need independent support as provided by recent gene family studies, notably the selenocysteine insertion system, the non-use of membrane lipid ethers in Loki, ribosomal protein similarities, tetrahydromethanopterin-based one carbon metabolism, RasGTPases and so on.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 07:39:07 PM by A-Team »

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #833 on: January 08, 2017, 12:00:56 AM »
I read 'white libertarian anglo-mule rule'.  :D
The enemy is within

E. Smith

OrganicSu

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: January 09, 2017, 09:08:43 AM »
A: Officer, please I'd like to report a major theft.
O: Yes of course. Can you start by telling me your name?
A: We ain't got time for that. It's serious!
O: I can lock you up if you talk like that.
A: That would be great. It would stop the theft.
O: Last chance. What's your name?
A: Artic
O: (the policeman scribbles "artic")
A: Ahm, excuse me officer. I'm pretty important. Wouldn't you mind at least giving me a capital A?
O: Last chance buddy. No more wise cracks. What's this theft you want to report?
a: My lack of heat has been stolen, broken up and diluted and sent out all over the place.
O: How can a lack of something be stolen? You have to have something to have it stolen.
a: (getting hotter and angrier by the minute), My coldness has been stolen. My C.O.L.D.N.E.S.S. I used to be god damn freezing.
O: Do not take the Lord's name in vain with me. I know who you are and where you come from. Watch it. And I'll tell you something else, as a friend, just this once, as you seem to be too stupid to know... You've been giving it away. Non stop. For decades and some say for centuries. Very generous of late! Surely it's no coincidence that the super generous Santa Claus comes from your neck of the woods?
a: (dumbfounded and silent, contemplates the difference between theft and giving. Starts to like the idea of giving. Feels good. Makes you warm inside. Vows to continue giving, increasingly generously till there's nothing left.)
L: (And the Lord said) he who giveth truly of himself shall receiveth a thousand times in return.
B: (And the Budda said (paraphrasing))  you, your polar opposite and all in between are one and the same (equatable).

magnamentis

« Reply #835 on: January 09, 2017, 07:03:24 PM »
I read 'white libertarian anglo-mule rule'.  :D

consider this one, a great read, arctic related and eye opening, knowing that yours are already open LOL

it's available in several languages, original in german.
cheers

https://www.lovelybooks.de/autor/Frank-Sch%C3%A4tzing/Der-Schwarm-40880919-w/

OrganicSu

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: January 10, 2017, 03:39:08 PM »
Can we solve Climate Change with Love?
Can we solve Climate Change without causing an absolutely enormous Depression, the likes of which the world has never seen?

magnamentis

« Reply #837 on: January 10, 2017, 06:27:01 PM »
Can we solve Climate Change with Love?
Can we solve Climate Change without causing an absolutely enormous Depression, the likes of which the world has never seen?

if more people would spend more time and energy to feel and provide love it instead of superficial distractions that could well make a difference but it's as well a bit abstract in such short words, that would take quite some effort to analyze and then it has to be based on free will and genuine. any attempt to change mainstream ways of people with force ended in disasters.

in short to your short question, IMO yes !

logicmanPatrick

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • The Chatter Box
« Reply #838 on: January 18, 2017, 11:16:53 PM »
Hi, all!   I don't know how to embed videos here - this is a trial.

I want to Put Another Nickel In the jukebox in hopes of entertaining you all.

The Burlak was a hauler of barges, like the Volga Boatmen.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 11:25:49 PM by logicmanPatrick »
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

logicmanPatrick

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • The Chatter Box
« Reply #839 on: January 18, 2017, 11:38:39 PM »
A comment on 'cars, cars, cars got me thinking:

They don't give a tear about saving lives or anything else. Just profits. That is actually all that they are allowed to care about as a corporation. Everything else is propaganda.

Here's a great video all about the profit motive.

[/quote]
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #840 on: January 19, 2017, 12:02:12 AM »
January 12, 2017, 02:23:47 PM

A-Team: Go ahead, break your spear on capitalism but it goes back much farther, to when we made up that bit about being given dominion over nature and our bogus separation from it, go forth and multiply, call the other animals 'game', display arrogance in announcing an Anthropocene instead of the Stupidocene.
Or perhaps all that started when a hunter, instead to hunt, decided to go into a shade, wait for return of a tired hunter and rob him. After 'actions' repeated and in spite of mercenaries afforded such needed all protection they can get.
"Chosen by Gods -- Son of a God -- In the name of God --  Appointed by God -- If you don't trust President you are..."

i do not blame any ..ism or religion, i do blame manipulators.

Meltdown of sanity? Gone back to mitochondria, i could rise my dopamine  there  :)

- -
BTW: Millennials on the rise ? .

January 15, 2017, 06:09:10 PM
a bit of elders wisdom might be of use these days: wrestle with a pig, not.

-

"I'm 21" he says.  b^.^d     
Go, Millennials! You've no one to wait for, fight for the world you want live in. :THUMBS UP:
Wasn't Bernie who said "it's not about me, it's about you".

-
Aggressive Progressives: Bernie Sanders' Prescription Drug Bill Killed....By DEMOCRATS

2017-01-18 rETWETT:
Debbie Lusignan ‏@saneprogressive 21m21 minutes ago
Debbie Lusignan Retweeted WikiLeaks
Assange is a hero.  That is all.

Off The Perch:

Neil deGrasse Tyson @neiltyson Jan 16
To quote another fallen Moon-walker:
Look at that, you son of a bitch."
You develop an instant global consciousness, a people orientation. an intense dissatisfaction with the state of the world, and a compulsion to do something about it. From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that, you son of a bitch."
RIP: Edgar Mitchell (1930-2016) -- Apollo 14 Astronaut

« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 11:55:15 PM by ivica »

pearscot

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 190
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #841 on: January 20, 2017, 05:59:21 AM »
Well...tomorrow Trump becomes president. I've never felt so much despair in my life. My knee is also as messed up as it ever has been meaning I will not be able to run for quite some time, which really sucks because that's the only thing in life that gives me joy. Fuck this year already, I tried to be optimistic and it lasted for 19 days and now I'm back to where I was.

I can't wait to see what the most pathetic, incompetent, uneducated, ignorant, racist, anti-internationalism administration does first. AHH so full of rage and anger and there is absolutely zero I can do about any of it. gg America!
pls!

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #842 on: January 20, 2017, 07:38:44 AM »
Well...tomorrow Trump becomes president. I've never felt so much despair in my life. My knee is also as messed up as it ever has been meaning I will not be able to run for quite some time, which really sucks because that's the only thing in life that gives me joy. Fuck this year already, I tried to be optimistic and it lasted for 19 days and now I'm back to where I was.

I can't wait to see what the most pathetic, incompetent, uneducated, ignorant, racist, anti-internationalism administration does first. AHH so full of rage and anger and there is absolutely zero I can do about any of it. gg America!

Watching video of W's speeches relieves some of my anxiety. 8)

Terry

Pmt111500

« Reply #843 on: January 20, 2017, 07:44:51 AM »

Watching video of W's speeches relieves some of my anxiety. 8)

Terry

Ah, got an idea for a theme party - Masochists only.

OrganicSu

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: January 21, 2017, 07:23:31 AM »
so full of rage and anger and there is absolutely zero I can do about any of it.
I hear you.
God grant me the serenity. To accept the things I cannot change; Courage to change the things I can; And wisdom to know the difference. (Reinhold Niebuhr)

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: January 27, 2017, 12:00:49 PM »
January 21, 2017, 04:49:47 PM

"unaware & compliant" is one more sign that our society is highly manipulative, not cooperative .

. Sun do not bow to our desires .  Sun is a terrorist, deserves to be nuked! . Learning To Fly... --- moj galebe -- w|wo you _:)_

2017-01-24

Millennials, more: 12  .

2017-01-27
Those who know how to do/maintain their 'symmetry breaking' remain in non-ventilator mode :)

The Humanist Report: Episode 78.

Jimmy Doore interviews Thomas Frank: 1, 2, 3, 4

Cenk Uygur of TYT works on How To Make Dems Smart Again: 1, 2 .

Debbie Lusignan @saneprogressive offers different strategy: 1, 2.

.eol

« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 12:00:00 AM by ivica »

OrganicSu

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: January 29, 2017, 07:09:56 PM »
Turned on the TV today. Wow. Trump's travel ban is big, isn't it. Or is it?
My wife is Japanese, I'm Irish and we both live in Greece so we are extremely grateful and reliant on being allowed to live here, without persecution. IMHO, however the travel ban and the wall are just distractions.

Deliberate and successful attempts to divert attention from the real action.
What else is he and his chosen few up to? Of course neither the travel ban or wall should happen. But WHAT else are they doing and legislating on?

So Trump is big news isn't he. Or is he?
IMHO he is just a distraction. Is it from the climate and a temporary or permanent blue ocean 'event' that could get us off BAU. No. Why? Cause when it happens 99.9% of people, even if they hear about it, won't care enough to reduce their coffee intake by 1 cup, let alone something drastic like stop flying.

Whether Trump is a deliberate and successful attempt to divert attention or just coincidental is up for discussion. Those with real power are ready for this. So what are those with real power up to? Now is the perfect time to get what you want done. Maybe they want to put the US under martial law? That's too simple an answer, isn't it, and anyway to what ultimate benefit?  So WHAT are those with real power up to?

I'm a simple man and I don't have the answers. So I'm going to try something radical - I'm going to try to have my wife fall in love with me. (again? That too is up for discussion). I'm also going to try to live in mindfulness, aka "in the moment". But that's way more difficult (I think, I hope). If anyone else is interested in the later, I highly recommend eating foraged and home grown food. It really helps to reconnect and break down some barriers.  On 4 and a half times I've even wondered if acorns are psychoactive...

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: February 08, 2017, 06:09:16 PM »
Ribar - Frederik miler (glazbeni spot)

As seas becomes deeper so is society crisis, reinforcing each other.
Old & Primitive mindset behind that do not want to retire, no matter what.

-.Ay Vamos

« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 12:01:52 AM by ivica »

Pmt111500

« Reply #848 on: February 13, 2017, 08:19:55 AM »
The nearby lake this morning before the possible föhn winds  projected today and tomorrow. Ice looks pretty solid still. Those are not meltponds but patches of ice that are snowless. Lack of snow is notable here in the southwest. I think we topped at c. 10 cm before +degrees melted most of it to ice, currently at 1-2 cm and ice where applicable. The amount of slipped & hospitalized people in the city made it to national news earlier this year. This is somewhat notable for Finland.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 08:40:55 AM by Pmt111500 »

Pmt111500

« Reply #849 on: February 13, 2017, 03:40:08 PM »
Föhn-event wasn't too strong here today. Maybe some 6K up from yesterdays numbers.

Photo of very shallow melt-pooling.

Additional photos of the public beach, you could even swim there.or maybe not. The passenger traffic and the occasional high water keep it open on mild winters. Ice induced erosion happens on rather a small scale compared to some photos of Alaska/Siberian north
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 03:59:07 PM by Pmt111500 »