Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Poll

Does political discussion have a place in the Arctic Sea Ice Forum?

Yes, but mostly in appropriate threads
10 (37%)
Yes, but only in appropriate threads
14 (51.9%)
Yes, but as little as possible
2 (7.4%)
No, Never!
1 (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Voting closed: December 05, 2016, 08:05:11 AM

Author Topic: Political discussion on the Arctic Sea Ice Forum  (Read 5036 times)

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 34
Political discussion on the Arctic Sea Ice Forum
« on: November 25, 2016, 08:05:11 AM »
Reading Terry's posts about this subject gave me the idea of putting this to a vote to all Forum members. Given Terry's concerns, I believe science and politics should be allowed but mutually exclusive, although some overlap will likely occur. I know a lot of members absolutely abhor politics, while others (myself included), find it very interesting. Looking forward to reading your thoughts on this subject!

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Political discussion on the Arctic Sea Ice Forum
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 10:50:29 AM »
 Chose your second position or reasons I've already written about extensively.

Terry

Pmt111500

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 12:15:48 PM »
Voted for no, never, knowing it's Neven's site and thinking it's Neven who should dictate this issue.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 02:17:31 PM »
Chose your FIRST option...because there may be times when a "mention" of politics shouldn't be avoided...even though the primary thrust of the message AND string is scientific.  For instance...a brief MENTION of the politics and a reference to the political string.
FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 06:12:24 PM »
Voted for no, never, knowing it's Neven's site and thinking it's Neven who should dictate this issue.

No question about it, but finding out what members think is important imho. If a significant majority of members believe there is no place for politics on this Forum, then I would be less inclined to discuss politics here.

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 08:40:59 AM »
Looking back at this thread I started, I'm a little surprised at the lack of interest. I expected a lot more no votes, perhaps a lot of members who didn't vote should be counted as no votes? I know a lot of people disdain politics (for good reason!). Although national and international politics interest me, I am often disgusted by it.

Anne

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 09:55:01 AM »
I didn't notice the poll until today but would have voted for the second option. What counts as 'politics' is in itself contentious. For many people (not on this forum!) any discussion of Anthropogenic climate change is ipso facto political. When you have lobbysists spreading disinformation and politicians denying the science and withholding funding, it's impossible to avoid the subject. When those lobbyists are inside government it would be wrong to try.

charles_oil

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 38
  • Likes Given: 74
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 10:37:55 AM »
Having dedicated threads works well I think - if its interesting to you - follow it & contribute, if not - don't.   There will obviously be overlap, but the main political issues can be segregated.

I think the global climate impacts of politics and politicians e.g. Trump / Brexit / Russia / Europe / China both in words and deeds ARE very relevant to arctic / Antarctic Sea ice, and the frightening climatological results.   

I agree though that some of the more salacious news / fake news is a distraction - but it can be light relief too !   I am sure after Friday everything will change with a new, mature President entering his responsible role as global leader of the free world.  ;)

I'd personally rather follow one forum in depth (where there is a common interest and theme, albeit with some dissenters), than subscribe to loads of different ones.

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 03:12:47 PM »
Thanks Anne and Charles Oil for your comments. Yes, Trump will become POTUS on Friday. I'm thinking about starting a new thread "The Trump Presidency" or something along that line. Now that Trump will be President, not Pres. elect or candidate, I figure the Presidential poll thread is outliving its usefulness. Any suggestions?

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 03:17:30 PM »
I would suggest TWO THREADS:

1)  The policies/proposed policies of the Trump administration

2)  The survival/death of the Trump presidency:  The road towards removal from office.

BOTH are clearly related to climate change/global warming...AND....to the Trump policies.  It's just that the second one is specific to the possible/likely removal of him from office.

This way.....those that want to focus JUST on climate policies can do so.....and those that want to see what is happening with REMOVING HIM FROM OFFICE (and thus benefiting future policies) cam also do so.

FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."