Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Zero-Carbon Farming and Living via the Acorn Path  (Read 82338 times)

El Cid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 935
  • Likes Given: 227
Re: Zero-Carbon Farming and Living via the Acorn Path
« Reply #250 on: April 27, 2022, 08:51:05 PM »
Mark Shephard is quite well known in regen-ag /agroforestry. His STUN (sheer, total, utter neglect) method made him famous :)

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2064
  • Likes Given: 2002
« Reply #251 on: April 27, 2022, 10:12:50 PM »
Yeah i liked that one. I am not in that crowd so i did not know he was a bit famous.

It was interesting to see how he explained getting to the desired landscape faster by managing it. I watched a few others and wood chips do seem to be used a lot.  :)

Quite a bit of soil can be made with these permaculture ideas and of course a whole lot of food too.
It makes you wonder how we ended up with our current system...
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

El Cid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 28, 2022, 07:19:00 AM »
Basically, I think all these methods can be boiled down to a few basic points:

1) Try to figure out the native ecosystem and try to mimic that some way, using similar but useful (edible or useful in some other way) species. Create a working ecosystem!
2) Use resistant (mostly heirloom) varieties and often trees grown from seed (they are cheap, you can plant them dense, the weak ones will die or you can just leave the strongest/tastiest alive). This will make intervention (eg. spraying) less/unnecessary
3) Manage the biomass so that it would speed up the processes of soil regeneration (cutting grass and putting it around trees, or chipping woody biomass down and putting it on the soil, using grazing animals to recycle nutrients, etc). Managing biomass is basically the most important job on these farms. Chainsaw, chipper, scythe, lawnmower, axe, saw, you need all sort of things...

I am also working along those principles and my trees are blooming amazingly this spring: all of them are full of flowers so I now hope for plenty of fruit this summer and autumn ...

And finally, why we ended up with the current setup?

Our current agricultural system is based on grains which are annuals. They can be stored for years (unlike fruits and most nuts), they have a short life cycle, so when you move to a new area (settlers) you can quickly rely on them, and they are a very concentrated store of carbohydrates. So - despite their drawbacks - they are actually great. Unfortunately, they take a lot of work and our current production methods destroy the soil...I am convinced that agroforestry is the future but it might take some time until it becomes widespread...   

Sebastian Jones

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 216
  • Likes Given: 159
« Reply #253 on: April 29, 2022, 04:43:41 AM »
"Managing biomass is basically the most important job on these farms."
Fully agree!
I'm blessed with a hectare of grass that I mow yearly, with a lawnmower, and it mostly goes into my no-till gardens.
My neighbours take the rest!

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
  • Liked: 311
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #254 on: May 02, 2022, 08:08:28 PM »
I have been wondering for some time if no till gardening is also possible when the soil contains a lot of clay. When I have removed the adventices, the soil is tilled anyway.
Yesterday, I was tired of breaking the clods so I used compost to fill the holes between the seedlings and the clods.
We have a dry spring in Luxembourg.

El Cid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: May 03, 2022, 08:12:52 AM »
I have clay soil mixed with marlstone. Fruit trees mostly like it, vegetables: not at all, no normal vegetables grow in it. However, the solution is quite simple for veggies (on a small scale): you need to create 10-20 cm soft, topsoil ON TOP of the clay. It is quite easy to achieve on a smaller area: you just heap lots of organic material on top of the soil and let it rot down for 1-2 years. After that, your upper few cm will be beautiful black soil and you can easily grow any vegetables in it, eg. even asparagus which is usually grown in sandy soil (I attach a picture of what I picked yesterday for lunch...this is grown in good organic compost-soil on top of heavy clay)

As for the organic matter you can use anything: leaves, grassclippings (people around here bag these two to be taken away so there is plenty of these for free), woodchips, homemade compost from kitchen scraps, whatever you have. It needs to be thick though: 30-60 cm originally, because it will get much thinner as it settles. After putting it on wait a year and start planting in it. Keep adding every year and your "good" soil will get thicker and thicker.

You can grow the greatest veggies without diggin, plowing, etc on a clay soil. Good luck!

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #256 on: May 08, 2022, 11:05:00 PM »
Hello El Cid,
We must have a similar soil. And it is true that in the older part of my vegetable garden, the soil is much easier to work. So I have to keep improving it.

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 773
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #257 on: January 04, 2023, 05:37:50 AM »
I used the bucket on the electric tractor to push all the roots and stalks from this years corn crop into a pile and added old pigs manure and a couple hundred lbs. of turkey feathers. My neighbor raised the turkeys for his CSA customers and processed and plucked them and gave me the feathers. Covered it up with horse manure. It has started to heat up. After several turnings and some more horse manure I will spread it back over the garden. I need to get some cover on the bare ground where the corn was but trying to avoid tillage. This is difficult unless I get enough compost to cover everything with something soft to facilitate shallow surface cultivation.
Bottom line is I am trying to figure out how to use my tractor to help me build my soil. Without too much shovel work along the way. Electric tractor and a small electric wheelhoe. Everything charged from solar. Tractors main utility is building compost piles and moving compost around. Will find new uses as I go.
 The 15ft corn from Oaxaca grew very tall plants with lots of roots but a meager crop of corn .I picked it in Nov.  Made a nice big compost pile as a consolation prize. While it was standing it made a nice rustling noise in wind , kinda like quaking aspen.
 How to use electrics to power a small farm. Work in progress. Still need my pickup to move heavy things long distance and hard to fix the distance/ transport/ refrigerated transport / and heavy loads and trailers problems.

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
  • Virtual world alter ego / अवतार of Martin Gisser
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 237
  • Likes Given: 373
« Reply #258 on: January 28, 2023, 04:54:13 AM »
I used the bucket on the electric tractor to push all the roots and stalks from this years corn crop into a pile and added old pigs manure and a couple hundred lbs. of turkey feathers. (...)
Wow. I tried composting feathers twice, but without manure in rather cool compost. Didn't work well.
Tell me how it worked!

I came back here for your tractor video: I might show it to a vegan fundamentalist :-)
¿Is the pig feed all grown on your farm? (Seeing their numbers I doubt...)
"The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or committed communist, but rather people for whom the difference between facts and fiction, true and false, no longer exists." ~ Hannah Arendt
"The Force can have a strong influence on the weak minded." ~ Obi-Wan Kenobi

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 28, 2023, 05:34:35 PM »
Martin, Good to see you here. I have barley delivered ~5 tons a month. Too many pigs ! Nothing to brag about.
The compost pile got way too wet and it isn’t happy. Turned it recently but feathers take forever to break down and maybe it was a mistake but I never manage to learn without making mistakes.
 I did manage to harvest some corn from the Oaxaca corn seed I planted but it took a very long season to reach maturity, harvested in Nov. 
 I like the little electric tractor and I can charge it with my existing solar system. I need to learn how to best utilize it in my garden.

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #260 on: January 28, 2023, 07:00:36 PM »
Just a stupid question, isn't it that feathers or dog's hair continue their composting process once in the garden between the vegetables? And so keep feeding the vegetables?

Bruce, I hope that if you started posting again, it means that your floods situation is under control.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 09:40:43 PM by etienne »

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 02, 2023, 03:50:23 AM »
Etienne, I moved some dirt around to try to raise elevation where the pigs could stay dry should floods really get bad. Sometimes you live someplace with known risks because having some place with lots of space is worth the risk that nature predictably delivers , to floodplains.
 I haven’t tried to use feathers in compost  before so it is an experiment for me. Luckily they didn’t smell too much. In the US small farmers can slaughter chickens and turkeys on their farm and sell them legally. So I know somebody who raises birds and if it works I can get more in the future. I would like the feathers to disappear before I move the compost into the garden.
They are high in nitrogen.
 I have plenty of room to move my garden to another area if the feather compost takes too long to finish in order to rebuild the area where I grew last years corn crop.
 The white Oaxaca corn makes very good polenta. Fresh ground corn , ground within 3 months from harvest , is really a treat. Store bought corn flour is never really fresh. Freezing dried corn helps save flavor if you need to store it before grinding.

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #262 on: February 02, 2023, 07:37:08 PM »
Unfinished composting could bring issues with nitrogen and germination. I read that the composting of wood chips removes nitrogen and this would avoid germination of weeds. I don't know if not completely composted hair and feathers would have the same effect. For sure it is not a problem with perennials or with seeds that are under the wood chips like sunflowers, here slugs are often the problem.

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #263 on: April 05, 2023, 09:14:44 PM »
I just read the Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler. She already is on the acorn path and at the end they start zero-carbon farming. It is generally speaking a low carbon story in a wold suffering of climate change. Published in 1993, the story starts in 2024. She writes things like :
People have changed the climate of the world. Now they're waiting for the old days to come back.

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 13, 2023, 09:17:59 PM »
Acorns are a good source of carbohydrates in a foraged diet. They are large and relatively easy to collect and store. I have recently discovered that date pits are another forage option that are easy to collect and have a good protein content. I have experimented with soaking the date pits in water for a couple days and then pounding them into a powder which is sun dried and silted into a flour.
 Maybe the nadir of solar/electrics powering agriculture production is zero technological support for agriculture and no transition time to reinvent horse powered farming. We don’t ever talk of total collapse but it is a possibility.  Carbohydrates and protein from crops that can be dried and stored are the base of people’s dietary requirements. The technology of mechanical cultivation and harvest of our staple crops have made them very cheap. They are so cheap that even dedicated gardeners don’t bother to plant them, keep seed or learn how to harvest and store them. Every step of grain production is powered by fossil fuels and as fossil fuel availability drops and the price increases the staples that support us are becoming more expensive. There might not be any replacement technologies that can power our food production .
So acorns, date pits, and wild starchy tubers are a potential food source in a world without technology.
They are plentiful enough to support a zero tech survival.
  Why is it we spend so much time and energy on space travel and consider that some kind of viable investment. Why do hunter gatherer options that sustained us for eons garner so little curiosity and zero passion ? The illusion of progress is total.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4573111/
Info on date pits

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #265 on: May 14, 2023, 07:35:26 AM »
  Why is it we spend so much time and energy on space travel and consider that some kind of viable investment. Why do hunter gatherer options that sustained us for eons garner so little curiosity and zero passion ? The illusion of progress is total.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4573111/
Info on date pits
Back in the times when peak oil was a subject, on an internet forum somebody was complaining that the couldn't convince his boss to use another energy than oil for their heating processes. I don't remember what they did, but I remember that they used a lot of it. When talking about peak oil at work, the message couldn't be received by the company.
I told him that nobody wants to prepare for peak oil, that he should talk about energy diversification and energy security. A few days later, I received a thank you message, it worked perfectly.
I believe that for all the big issues that we are facing now, we have the same problem. Nobody wants to prepare for the collapse, people don't mind little preparation for climate change (for example building bigger dams), but not to change their way of life. If you want to sale pita with date pits flour in it, it has to be healthier, good against cancer... but not a training for life after collapse.
Regarding wild starchy tubers, I have Jerusalem artichoke as flowers in my garden. I know other people doing the same. Nobody wants to eat it, but it is nice to have some in the backyard.

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 17, 2023, 08:42:11 PM »
Etienne, Thanks for the response. Necessity is the mother of invention and a good invention will sell itself. Expectations for an easy exit will surely kill us all.  People will come along but only after their stupid dreams are crushed and a square meal is more important than another trip to Disneyland.
 Those Jerusalem artichokes have lots of polysaccharides in them. You need to slowly increase polysaccharide intake or they can really upset your digestive system. Same with Yacon tubers.
 I have an idea about an invention . It is a two man human powered wheelhoe that uses a recoil spring , a brake and an elastic cord . One guy pulls the elastic cord from in front, the other guy pushes the wheelhoe from behind . When the guy who pushes the wheelhoe pulls it back every couple feet ( normal operation ) a spring captures some of the energy and then a brake is applied. The guy in front then tightens the elastic cord which together with the spring creates lots of power when the brake is released. So you get energy from one man pushing, one man pulling and the energy from the spring. Zero fossil fuel or electricity needed. Best invention ever from a Luddite.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 08:47:44 PM by Bruce Steele »

John_the_Younger

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 66
  • Likes Given: 140
« Reply #267 on: June 09, 2023, 12:36:00 AM »
My wife reminded me of Benjamin Lay (1682 – 1759) (from Wikipedia):
Dwelling in the Pennsylvania countryside in a cave [after his wife died] ..., Lay [a vegetarian] kept goats, farmed fruit trees, and spun the flax he grew into clothing for himself. Inside the cave he stowed his library: two hundred books of theology, biography, history, and poetry.
This was his response to the slavery (and greed, etc.) around him.

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 09, 2023, 12:51:21 AM »
This winter I will have a crop of dried acorns and yellow dent corn in the drying shed. There is some wheat and spelt from last year and a couple gallons of amaranth seed. The corn has silk on right now and the beans are coming along. Most years I tire of gardening come fall but instead I will expand my winter garden with cabbages and beets and crops that can survive some light frosts. We will be living again from farm crops without store food so I am preparing and squirreling away canned fruit and dried summer crops.
 I turn seventy next year and I wonder how this same challenge will be ten years from now. It has always been a confidence builder to test my ability to feed a couple people and prove up on the idea of self sufficiency. I do not put the energy into a garden I once did but the garden still is productive.
 If anyone out there would like to try collecting acorns and processing them I would love the company. It was great fun taking the challenge on-line with OrganicSU back in 2016. Fun starts Jan 1, 2024

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #269 on: August 09, 2023, 05:00:53 PM »
I'd love to, but below is a picture of my biggest oak.

Why do you start in January ? Acorn fall earlier. I'll have to collect some in the forest.

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: August 09, 2023, 06:24:54 PM »
etienne, It takes some time for the acorns to dry before you can shell them. Also winter is when we eat what is stored away from summer/ fall harvest. It really isn’t much of a challenge to start in the summer when the garden is in full production. So starting in winter forces one to think about what can be stored away before it arrives.
 Ideally you can store some foods for two years because the stored food also represents next year seed crop. Two or three hundred pounds of acorns, a hundred pounds of corn, and a lesser amount of wheat/ spelt along with fresh picked greens should get a couple people though winter and leave enough extra to plant next years crops.
 Where you live affects what comprises  what you can store for winter. So too a permaculture farm raises what will grow locally. I follow a webpage for an Australian who farms in a tropical area. He farms exclusively with hand tools. He can produce avocados , bananas, and other crops that do produce during winter but he has a much more difficult time with grains. There are tropical corn crops he can grow but it is very hard for him to allow field drying methods easily accomplished here in a Mediterranean climate.
 What type of acorns do you have access to in the forests?  Collecting in the wild is one of the pleasures of foraging. Learning what trees produce best, where squirrels are in control, and where the ground is bare or where acorns fall on lawns for easy raking are all parts of acorn foraging skills. You will never look at an oak tree the same again.
 I have started planting some holm oaks here on the farm as well as nut producing palm trees. I am planting trees that should be productive 30-100 years from now. Trees I will likely never harvest from but tree crops that can take the +120F heatwaves likely common by then. Trees for someone else living though much harder conditions.

A couple laying hens are very important IMO in consuming acorns. Beaten egg whites are all the leavening you get with acorn flour. Baking powder, soda and yeast don’t work.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2023, 06:33:13 PM by Bruce Steele »

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #271 on: August 09, 2023, 08:36:58 PM »
Hello Bruce,

We have mainly pedunculate and oak the sessile oak, also known as Cornish oak, Irish Oak or durmast oak.

I don't know which one I have, I just collected the acorn and planted it in the garden. I checked on wikipedia, both must be 60 years old to produce acorns, it won't be for me. I really will have to check in the forest.

I guess that you dry the acorns before storing it in order to avoid germination.

In the recipes I found, acorn flour is always mixed with another cereal.

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 11, 2023, 10:45:34 PM »
Etienne, I saw a study from Poland that found Quercus Pubescens ( Downey Oak ) had lower tannin levels than other local species of Oak. You might look around to see if you can find some because it is easier to work with low tannin types of acorns. Look for Holm oaks and maybe Downey oaks.
 I usually still have warm dry days to sun dry acorns I harvest , late fall. Drying is necessary to getting the shell to loosen from the nut before cracking and processing . A dehydrator of some kind might be required or maybe a warm attic. If they are heated too much the starch sets and you won’t get dotorimuk.
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/267505266_Tannin_content_in_acorns_Quercus_spp_from_Poland
« Last Edit: August 13, 2023, 05:29:45 AM by Bruce Steele »

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #273 on: August 12, 2023, 10:16:16 PM »
Looks like a great oak, it only lives half as long - 500 years - but only takes 15 years to produce acorns. It can live with sunny, cold and dry weather, could also be a good one for California. I am now in Burgundy and didn't see any. According to the map (Wikipedia), El Cid could have some in Hungary.
The forest here is very surprising with small trees and the elderberry as well all as the oaks.

El Cid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 12, 2023, 11:33:12 PM »
... El Cid could have some in Hungary.

We do have some, especially around Lake Balaton where its acorn was used as a hunger food.

However, where I live we mostly have quercus cerris, robur, petraea and hungarica. Their acorns are not very  suitable for human consumption as far as I know although during wars people sometimes baked them into a sort of bread - probably after a long preparation to get rid of the tannins...

However the seeds of beech (Fagus sylvatica) are wonderful and are edible raw without any preparation. They taste better than hazelnuts, I eat some every autumn when walking in the forest. They contain cca 60% fats and 20% protein so it's a very dense, compact food but the seeds are very small...

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 01, 2023, 06:13:48 AM »
The holm oaks have started dropping acorns. I thought with the good rains we had last season this would be a banner year but for some reason the acorns are very small this year. I raked up about a hundred pounds today, enough to feed a pig for a month and way more than I need as a carbohydrate for several months. Acorns are just one part of our challenge diet that also includes dried corn I grew, eggs, pork,  canned pears, apricots, and some year old wheat and spelt. Meant  to have a winter garden going but I put my effort into three acres of cover crop in my garden space instead. The groundwork was with my electric tractor and I am irrigating with solar supplied energy. Still waiting for this winters rains but wanted to get the cover crop up before they come. Cover of fava beans, field peas, clover, and oats. $500 for cover crop seed. I also paid someone $100 to bring in five truck loads of oak leaf and chips. I added manure from the farm and the 30-40 + yard pile is cooking nicely. It shrinks as it composts so yardage I won’t know till finished. So solar for power and compost for soil nutrients.
 Mulberries will go into at least an acre this spring and with permanent ground cover and irrigation I will be attempting to raise the carbon content of my soil. The mulberry leaves will help feed the pigs. If I just had a pig or two to feed I could forage enough acorns , raise more corn, and feed mulberry leaves thereby eliminating bought grain. So I am pretty sure I could get by all year without a grocery store if hard pressed. 
 Still haven’t found an example of anyone else trying to farm off 100% solar. I still  think it is a quantifiable objective that deserves more attention/ volunteers.
 I think an electric vehicle would allow my foraging to expand horizons . I know of street plantings of Carob in SB . Also date pits are in rake-able quantities. A foraged diet for pigs is similar to what a foraged diet for humans but the pigs aren’t picky eaters like most humans. If I could forage and raise enough feed to keep a pig business going it would give some quantifiable number to how many humans one farmer/ forager could feed. The problem I see with most food forest models is they depend on fruits which IMO doesn’t cut it. Carbohydrates you can store are imperative. Yes nuts fill the bill but other than acorns don’t make for a staple food source. I can easily forage walnuts but rarely eat all I collect. Mulberry leaves are eatable for humans but I haven’t read about people using them. Anyway pigs are a cooperative part of learning how to pull this all together . Humans prefer something they find pleasant to eat which means besides farming and foraging I need to develop recipes that supply both taste and nutrition. Bottom line is any conversion/ reversion to a locally sourced zero fossil fuel dependent diet will demand changes in lifestyle and maybe some compromises in taste expectations. It may be work but it is a lot of fun too.

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 03, 2023, 12:45:03 PM »
(...)
 Still haven’t found an example of anyone else trying to farm off 100% solar. I still  think it is a quantifiable objective that deserves more attention/ volunteers. (...)
Wasn't the so-called silicon valley somewhere in California ?  ::)  Maybe talk to Melinda French Gates: Tell her you are the Bill Gates of agri culture and explain that California is behind Africa and India in terms of modern (i.e. 21st century) agriculture.

https://www.gatesfoundation.org/our-work/programs/global-growth-and-opportunity/agricultural-development
Our goal
To support farmers and governments in sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia that are seeking a sustainable, inclusive agricultural transformation—one that creates economic opportunity, respects limits on natural resources, and gives everyone equal access to affordable, nutritious food
"The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or committed communist, but rather people for whom the difference between facts and fiction, true and false, no longer exists." ~ Hannah Arendt

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 20, 2024, 06:19:33 PM »
Current technology, solar power with battery backup, can provide heat, cooling, refrigeration, water pumping and a tractor for food production. If the tractor batteries act as an emergency power source then I am confident to say a farm can go off grid , provide all the above and be self sufficient in food.
 The infrastructure costs for the energy system to run this is less than $100,000. A good producing shallow well makes water pumping costs easier to handle. Available shallow well water , good soil, very good solar availability year round , and mild winters are the parts that make land costs high in areas where solar powered farms would work best . There are sweet spots , and farmland that meets all the requirements . Those places are already good places to live so there is price competition in real estate where there is available water and mild winters .
 Kinda a conundrum where the people who can afford the real estate are rich enough they probably aren’t motivated to bother growing all their own food . The technology exists , the willpower is lacking.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1339
  • Likes Given: 618
« Reply #278 on: January 20, 2024, 06:33:36 PM »
If the tractor batteries act as an emergency power source

Is this feasible on your side of the pond, ie a bidirectional inverter that turns the tractor batteries into a power bank? I've been thinking about converting an oldtimer I have, and I've been told it can be done (though not easy) by a company specialised in this stuff.

I've also just installed a hybrid inverter with batteries. I don't see why this inverter couldn't take the stored electricity from EV batteries (in a car), as it's all lithium-iron-phosphate. But what do I know.

Kinda a conundrum where the people who can afford the real estate are rich enough they probably aren’t motivated to bother growing all their own food . The technology exists , the willpower is lacking.

If I'm to believe the Techno-Optimists a Soylent Green-future is just around the corner. Everything will be grown in fermentation vats full of GMO bacteria, so all agricultural land can be converted into lawn (but they'll want the clippings as feed).
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

wehappyfew

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 48
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #279 on: January 20, 2024, 07:35:09 PM »
A generator powered by the PTO is a popular accessory for tractors. Do you have one Bruce?

I suppose you'd lose some efficiency with so many conversion steps: converting battery energy into electric motor power, then hydraulic pump, hydraulic motor to PTO, then generator.
"If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It’s simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken" - Carl Sagan

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 20, 2024, 08:38:18 PM »
We Happy Few, It is off the shelf available so it sounds like an inexpensive option. I think the problem with anything that feeds back into the grid is the required cutoff switch for blackouts. They don’t want to fry linemen by somebody back feeding the grid . But something powerful enough to run a well pump even if limited in how long it would run still seems worth the cost and effort. You could manually flip the main so it wouldn’t backfeed.
If the batteries are fixed like powerwalls the inspector can check for the cutoff switch. But if the batteries are mobile like a tractor I wonder about ever getting through permitting.
 In a system that is totally off grid the cutoff isn’t such an issue . Net metering makes pumping water fairly easy , totally off grid would require elevated tanks so you could use peak power to pump up water and gravity to deliver it when needed.
 A Solectrac mechanic told me they were working on a converter to use the tractor as power backup but take with pinch of salt right now. I will call them and ask.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1049
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #281 on: January 21, 2024, 01:37:28 AM »
200$ for a 100A 240V transfer switch, not too hard to figure out the wiring, especially if its just one big load like a well pump. What else would you power with tractor ?

I sometimes run a 40Kwatt generator off PTO from an oooold Ford tractor.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-100-Amp-240-Volt-Non-Fused-Emergency-Power-Transfer-Switch-TC10323R/100171587

Keep them coming, i love your descriptions, and you have my congratulations.

sidd
« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 01:43:11 AM by sidd »

DanLittle

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #282 on: January 21, 2024, 06:01:47 PM »
For a code compliant install you could also use an interlock kit to mechanically prevent the possibility of back feeding the grid when using an alternative source.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D-Homeline-150-225-Amp-Outdoor-Load-Center-Generator-Interlock-Kit-HOMRBGK2C/203030954#overlay

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 22, 2024, 06:27:22 PM »
Thanks Dan and Sidd, My farm has two meters ,one 120/240 and the other a 3 phase . Net metering allows the excess electricity that my solar puts back unto the grid when the powerwalls are full to be deducted from the electricity the 3 phase meter uses off the grid electricity .When the power goes out during a blackout my 3 phase shuts down. The 120/240 keeps working.  I still have a 5,000 water tank and a pressure pump to maintain water but no wells. In the eight years I have been on solar blackout have been of short duration . 5,000 gallons is a lot of domestic water so having an emergency way to pump well water is down there on my priority list but at least I know how to do it and what I need to buy to reach off grid .
 The other option would be a separate solar system powering a 3 phase inverter. I think too expensive but could power a small pump directly. Pumping up into an elevated tank would then allow irrigation .

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 03, 2024, 11:53:32 PM »
https://imgur.com/a/ecV28kR
This field has been farmed 100% solar/ battery tractor and water pumping for three years . No fertilizer inputs just oak leaf compost.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 11:59:28 PM by Bruce Steele »

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #285 on: March 04, 2024, 07:20:19 PM »
Looks beautiful.
Totally out of topic, but why don't you produce dry sausages, like the Hungarian one with paprika ? You could send it all over the US.

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 04, 2024, 10:39:53 PM »
Etienne, My normal cover crop is the peas and favas pictured. This year I added fescue, white, and red clover. When I mow the Fava Beans and peas it exposes the fescue and clover to the sun and they are perennial , as long as I can keep it watered it will stay green. I am trying to get away from tilling in the cover crop, just cut it down and leave the roots to rot in the ground. The fescue should cover any bare ground.
 In the US you need to have All meat processed and packaged by USDA facilities in order to sell it .
There is one USDA slaughter house that scalds the pigs , and two USDA butchers that can cut and wrap.
Neither butcher makes bacon or smokes pork so to get bacon made I haul pigs 250 miles to Fresno for slaughter, 125 miles back to Paso Robles to butcher and package, then haul the bellies 250 miles to Glendale to make bacon, the back to Paso Robles to have bacon sliced and packaged, and finally back to my farm into my freezers. Total miles driven to get one batch of bellies turned to bacon is about one thousand miles. There are zero alternatives.
 So Southern Cal is about 146,000km with a population over twenty million people but there are less than 500 pigs grown for sale to restaurants or on line . Without farms and production processing capacity is very limited and separated by great distances. Feed costs are also very high because Barley isn’t grown much in Calif. It is a dry land crop and we just don’t get dependable rain.
 The place that smokes my bacon does make smoked Hungarian sausage and kielbasa for me but to cover my costs I sell it for $16-18 a pound. Some people are willing to pay for quality pork that is raised with a bit of personal care, without hormones , and fed premium quality feed. You can search around and find commodity kielbasa for about $5 a pound. So making salami is even more expensive and finding customers for pork at 4x price is a constant hustle.
 Most things I ship ground but it needs to get there within two days because it is frozen product. If I ship air freight shipping costs almost as much as the product.
 Maybe this all sounds like madness but my business very much reflects the cost of diesel . Transport for feed, for processing, for freight. Our food system is totally at the mercy of fuel costs. Is is even true for vegetable production and farmers markets sales in LA. Miles and miles of driving product around and really no alternative other than quit.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 04, 2024, 11:16:44 PM »
Re 2 phase to 3 phase conversion

Looks like you have a 3 phase water pump ? you can get a 2 phase to three phase rotary converter to run your pump off your 2 phase supply. I have done this in the past for some equipment while waiting 3 phase install.

sidd

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 05, 2024, 02:12:42 AM »
Sidd, The well pump is 900 ft from my power drop and meters. 2 phase just not happy with distance. It is really just an idea to have some redundancy in my water system. Everything is working pretty well and my electric bill is low . I probably have to focus on getting a heat pump for the house. I like the idea of a 3 phase generator I can run on a PTO but gotta shelf the idea for now.
 I hope you have a good growing season.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 05, 2024, 05:05:10 PM »
Re: I hope you have a good growing season.

Likewise. and to all the other farmers and gardeners out there.

sidd

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #290 on: March 05, 2024, 08:02:03 PM »
I am already invaded by slugs, and haven't really started yet, just some onions and green peas.

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 05, 2024, 08:30:38 PM »
I have created a moat around a strawberry patch to stop slugs and snails. I use a plastic pipe split lengthwise. Then sprinkle hydrated lime into the split pipes. If snails touch it they fissile. Rain kinda ruins it but hydrated lime isn’t harmful to your soil unless your soil is already very alkali. So if it washes out you can sprinkle in a little more.  Works very nicely in a greenhouse where rain can’t wash it away. Not really harmful to you or pets.

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 06, 2024, 04:53:41 AM »
My favorite helpers against slugs are the Slow Worms (or Glass Snakes in America). They are legless lizards. Never had any slug problem whatsoever here. I adorn my little garden with stones and tiles, under which they like to sleep and warm up. - What also helps is a serious lawn mower, one that cuts instead of producing rotting sludge and turbo shreds everything alive. I simply use the scythe, though it sucks after a while. That leaves lots of high grass with anthills, which the Slow Worms seem to like, and where they can hide from the cats.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 05:05:55 AM by Florifulgurator »

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #293 on: March 06, 2024, 08:24:30 PM »
Last year, I found a few leopard slugs in my garden. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limax_maximus
I hoped it would help enough and stopped the other actions that could hurt these slug eating slugs.
The result is that I find slugs in my dogs' hair.
I think I'll try the hydrated lime this year.

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 20, 2024, 03:40:28 PM »
Solectrac tractors have gone bankrupt. I bought one three years ago and the couple glitches experienced were fixed by the company under warranty. Now I am on my own I guess. There are dozens of unsold tractors stranded at dealerships without a company to service them or any already sold. Welcome to the future.
 There is one other small e-tractor made by a company called Monarch that sells  for about $70,000 and Case tractors uses some of Monarch technology for it’s ~ $ 700,000 e tractor of similar horsepower.
 Farming is as far away from converting to electric tractors as it ever was.
 I will continue to try to show that a farm and it’s equipment can be run 100% solar. Working with both USDA and University of Cal Santa Barbara on an energy audit and a lifetime energy audit by UCSB.
 My cover crop got up to my shoulders and I am using my little Solectrac to mow it down.
The effort to move farming to electrics should be sponsored by some organization , government, or educational institution ,but for now it is kinda DOA.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1339
  • Likes Given: 618
« Reply #295 on: March 20, 2024, 07:33:16 PM »
I mentioned you and your efforts to my neighbour yesterday, when he showed me his new electric wheelbarrow and other battery-powered stuff he bought to move firewood around (from a company called GeoTech). I even mentioned the tractor. Too bad such initiatives go belly-up...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 07:47:17 PM by Neven »
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 20, 2024, 08:04:00 PM »
I believe Mahindra makes electric tractors also. I dont think they will go out of business, i even see them selling in Amish country (to those with the right bishop and council of elders ...)

They have been giving new holland, IH and Deere a run for their money at the small end for a few years.

sidd

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 24, 2024, 03:41:22 PM »
Povl sent me a link to a small electric New Holland tractor. It will be available in Turkey and Europe before the US. Nice new addition to the limited number of existing e tractors available.
https://www.futurefarming.com/tech-in-focus/new-holland-presents-100-electric-t3-tractor/

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #298 on: March 24, 2024, 09:23:24 PM »
How many kWh does your tractor have. 75 doesn't seem much, but enough to have a weight issue. There isn't much information in the article.

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 24, 2024, 09:57:33 PM »
Etienne, New Holland T4 has a 110kWhr battery and about 75 horsepower.
The Monarch has a 55kWhr battery with about 40 horsepower
The Solectrac e25 has a 22kWhr battery and about twenty horsepower.
 If the new tractor from Turkey a New Holland T3 has a 75kWhr battery it puts horsepower somewhere between the Monarch and the T4. So about sixty horsepower.
 My Solectrac tractor is small , not much horsepower but will run hours mowing or chores without much need of horsepower. It has a bucket that makes moving or turning compost easy. It is an adjunct to physical labor but it was something I could afford. Hope it keeps running but then I hope I don’t break either.