Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: So what are people doing?  (Read 8085 times)

ccgwebmaster

• Nilas ice
  • Civilisation collapse - what are you doing?
    • View Profile
    • CCG Website
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
So what are people doing?
« on: April 01, 2013, 09:23:21 PM »
It seems to me not so many people are doing a lot to prepare for all this. It finally seems that people are starting to take the issue more seriously and waking up to the fact that it is likely to start to bite us rather sooner than later (and I think a lot sooner than most are prepared to contemplate - in my view the stage is set for massive issues possibly as soon as later this year, and best case not much later).

So I'm curious - is anyone doing anything? (except sitting transfixed in front of various sources of information watching it all unfold)

This is my project - but with a wider context that is what I'm really pushing (the question of considering the longer term future of our species - as opposed to the selfishness of now).
deusjuvat.wordpress.com/about/
http://www.helpsurviveclimatechange.com/Content/Mission/DeusJuvat.aspx

I'm used to being dismissed out of hand - and I didn't start all this yesterday - so that's all I have to say right now.

frankendoodle

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
Re: So what are people doing?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 10:15:35 PM »
Not to be a jerk, but we as a species will probably not be able to even mitigate the upcoming runaway greenhouse effect on the horizon. Because now methane is being released from several sources humans are not directly responsible for. CH4 is CO2 on steroids. This is a HUGE positive feedback stimulus. It would require us to directly sequester these gases to keep them from affecting our climate. That would require UNPRESSSIDENTED cooperation of humankind to do this, and even then, we'd still have to deal with probably a 2 C increased. not to be a dick about the whole thing :)
I thing I am sure of: In the coming decades our Western way of life will be fundamentally altered.

ccgwebmaster

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • CCG Website
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 11:03:41 PM »
My planning is predicated on a near future total collapse of civilisation scenario, with the loss of most of the existing billions of lives. That seems a sensible worst case planning scenario.

I am well aware of positive feedbacks operant (or about to be so) within the earth system.

fishmahboi

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 11:30:03 PM »
My planning is predicated on a near future total collapse of civilisation scenario, with the loss of most of the existing billions of lives. That seems a sensible worst case planning scenario.

I am well aware of positive feedbacks operant (or about to be so) within the earth system.

I wonder how close this event is to occurring.

Hopefully there is some light at the end of the tunnel in this situation.

Amaranthus

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 08:18:44 PM »

Safer to figure that light to be an oncoming train.

fishmahboi

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 08:37:06 PM »

Safer to figure that light to be an oncoming train.

Nothing to divert ourselves from our course with that oncoming train. Nothing we can do, but sit, wait and go through the last few months of our lives, or at least the last few moments before civilisation collapses and the times of greeting friends and going through a normal life are reduced to ashes.

ccgwebmaster

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • CCG Website
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 08:51:24 PM »
Nothing to divert ourselves from our course with that oncoming train. Nothing we can do, but sit, wait and go through the last few months of our lives, or at least the last few moments before civilisation collapses and the times of greeting friends and going through a normal life are reduced to ashes.
Oddly enough my parents think that way. Pretty bitter pill to swallow coming from anyone older or wealthier. All I can say is I hope you don't have children yourself if that's how you see their future - ie as worthless.

fishmahboi

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 09:01:43 PM »
Oddly enough my parents think that way. Pretty bitter pill to swallow coming from anyone older or wealthier. All I can say is I hope you don't have children yourself if that's how you see their future - ie as worthless.

Sorry for being overly pessimistic, but from what I read on this forum that is how the future seems to be at this stage, but perhaps I am not reading enough into our situation. Also being a 19 year old approaching his Leaving Cert I highly doubt I will be having children so my pessimistic opinions are well reserved for myself and Climate Change forums.

ccgwebmaster

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • CCG Website
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 09:15:54 PM »
Sorry for being overly pessimistic, but from what I read on this forum that is how the future seems to be at this stage, but perhaps I am not reading enough into our situation. Also being a 19 year old approaching his Leaving Cert I highly doubt I will be having children so my pessimistic opinions are well reserved for myself and Climate Change forums.
In that case I withdraw my implied criticism and apologise for that portion of your future I contributed to destroying (as someone a bit older - early 30s now). I can understand such a choice (to try to enjoy the last days) from the perspective of someone younger, though I'd still encourage people to try.

A massive intergenerational wealth driven injustice runs through this whole thing.

fishmahboi

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 09:26:52 PM »
In that case I withdraw my implied criticism and apologise for that portion of your future I contributed to destroying (as someone a bit older - early 30s now). I can understand such a choice (to try to enjoy the last days) from the perspective of someone younger, though I'd still encourage people to try.

A massive intergenerational wealth driven injustice runs through this whole thing.

You don't have to apologise. Personally if the catastrophe was to happen in a number of years time I wouldn't care too much about it, but being so close to death's door is quite terrifying and depressing.