Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The 2017 melting season  (Read 1844116 times)

Gray-Wolf

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 131
  • Likes Given: 458
Re: The 2017 melting season
« Reply #750 on: April 12, 2017, 02:37:07 PM »

This is an unexpected and very bad finding.

But nothing that we haven't been mooting in here for years?

Barentsz/Kara have been seeing ice free conditions since the start of the noughties ( why Jen Francis focused her studies of the atmosphere above there?) so the old , protective, Halocline must surely be lost there now ( with just a 'normal' Halocline setting up under any ice formed each winter?). The loss of this distinct layer removes the thing that forced Atlantic water to take a dive and so it now happily trundles on at the surface?

This will ( has?) push ever poleward from our ( Atlantic?) side of the basin making re-freeze ever more hopeless and providing no obstacle to any ice with a Fram death wish ( as we have been seeing?).

I do not know how we are all coping? After years of warning folk what might be about to happen not only are we sat watching it happen but the folk we were telling didn't appear to believe us and are now acting all shocked that we are where we are! Even the MSM speak of an ice free basin soon!
KOYAANISQATSI

ko.yaa.nis.katsi (from the Hopi language), n. 1. crazy life. 2. life in turmoil. 3. life disintegrating. 4. life out of balance. 5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.

VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #751 on: April 12, 2017, 03:02:35 PM »
@Meirion
Very good link. I bookmarked it and recommend doing so.
"....and the appointed time came for God to bring to ruin those ruining the earth." Revelation 11:18.

Sarat

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 132
« Reply #752 on: April 12, 2017, 09:02:53 PM »
Looks like Beaufort is starting to open up...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 09:34:14 PM by Sarat »

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #753 on: April 12, 2017, 09:05:25 PM »
Given the forecast, we can expect more of that. I'll try and make an updated animation.

Edit: I still had the template from last year:
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 09:12:19 PM by Neven »
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Istari

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #754 on: April 12, 2017, 09:22:32 PM »

This is an unexpected and very bad finding.

But nothing that we haven't been mooting in here for years?

Barentsz/Kara have been seeing ice free conditions since the start of the noughties ( why Jen Francis focused her studies of the atmosphere above there?) so the old , protective, Halocline must surely be lost there now ( with just a 'normal' Halocline setting up under any ice formed each winter?). The loss of this distinct layer removes the thing that forced Atlantic water to take a dive and so it now happily trundles on at the surface?

This will ( has?) push ever poleward from our ( Atlantic?) side of the basin making re-freeze ever more hopeless and providing no obstacle to any ice with a Fram death wish ( as we have been seeing?).

I do not know how we are all coping? After years of warning folk what might be about to happen not only are we sat watching it happen but the folk we were telling didn't appear to believe us and are now acting all shocked that we are where we are! Even the MSM speak of an ice free basin soon!

The problem is that we are risen Monkeys, not fallen Angel's... we don't got a feeling of thing that move outside a few years horizon... we need math for that, and so few of us really gets that ....
and right now the US are controlled by people that think the earth are 6000 years old, so what do you expect ?
This been and will be a lost course, if we are lucky a few humans survive and they remember why it went so wrong...

Sarat

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 132
« Reply #755 on: April 12, 2017, 09:28:20 PM »
Thank you Neven!

Here is a Jim's video from last year for comparison:

Looks like it was lingering back and fourth until early-mid April and then really started opening.

jdallen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 650
  • Likes Given: 244
« Reply #756 on: April 13, 2017, 01:05:43 AM »
Given the forecast, we can expect more of that. I'll try and make an updated animation.

2017 Beaufort looks to be trying mightily to catch up with 2016's open water.  It becomes more clear looking at it in Worldview, where you can see in particular just how shattered the ice is.  There may be more coverage than last year, but it is not robust. The Amundsen Gulf in particular has disintegrated into a bowl of ice cubes.
This space for Rent.

seaicesailor

« Reply #757 on: April 13, 2017, 01:21:34 AM »

2017 Beaufort looks to be trying mightily to catch up with 2016's open water.  It becomes more clear looking at it in Worldview, where you can see in particular just how shattered the ice is.  There may be more coverage than last year, but it is not robust. The Amundsen Gulf in particular has disintegrated into a bowl of ice cubes.
Yes and given that the high is going to strengthen and stay around 1050 hpa for three days, we'll definitively have material for animations.
Image from Tropicaltidbits ECMWF last run, forecast +72h

seaicesailor

« Reply #758 on: April 13, 2017, 01:33:49 AM »
And starting with the ACNFS Hycom drift prediction from the 13th to 17th. The clockwise drift starting to look like a textbook Arctic drift map, something not seen much in all past winter.
Ice might detach even further from Amundsen bay Gulf as well
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 01:38:58 AM by seaicesailor »

Michael Hauber

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 168
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #759 on: April 13, 2017, 01:42:47 AM »
New work by an international team led by Igor Polyakov of the University of Alaska Fairbanks provides strong evidence that Atlantic layer heat is now playing a prominent role in reducing winter ice formation in the Eurasian Basin, which is manifested as more summer ice loss. According to their analysis, the ice loss due to the influence of Atlantic layer heat is comparable in magnitude to the top down forcing by the atmosphere.

link to paper

Note that this statement does not apply to the Arctic as a whole, but to a region referred to in the study as the Eastern European Basin, which is very roughly equivelant to the Laptev Sea area.

An interesting bit also is that the heat flow from the Atlantic peaked in 2007/2008 and has decreased slightly since.
Climate change:  Prepare for the worst, hope for the best, expect the middle.

Adam Ash

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • The 100 metre line
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #760 on: April 13, 2017, 05:12:51 AM »
And starting with the ACNFS Hycom drift prediction from the 13th to 17th. The clockwise drift starting to look like a textbook Arctic drift map, something not seen much in all past winter.

Gosh those vectors are long!  The ice movement seems to be virtually unrestrained by any cohesion in the pack.  Any sustained blow from north towards the CAA, Nares or Barents will just shove already-chewed up ice into the oven.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #761 on: April 13, 2017, 08:15:29 AM »
An interesting bit also is that the heat flow from the Atlantic peaked in 2007/2008 and has decreased slightly since.

Where does the time period end?
The enemy is within

E. Smith

romett1

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 32
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #762 on: April 13, 2017, 09:27:16 AM »
Big positive anomalies coming back to the Arctic Basin, Kara and Barents Seas:

Indeed, high positive temp anomalies over Arctic Ocean are back. Latest forecast, Apr 14 - Apr 20 (Climate Reanalyzer).

Bill Fothergill

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #763 on: April 13, 2017, 11:05:43 AM »
...  Amundsen bay Gulf ...

Yep, that's definitely the kind of typo to avoid when using SatNav.

;)

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #764 on: April 13, 2017, 02:22:17 PM »
I've asked why the LANCE-MODIS Arctic Mosaic isn't being updated, and received a swift reply:

We are in the process of making a required Operating System upgrade on our web server and some of the imagery is not available yet.

This gives us an opportunity to say that we are encouraging Rapid Response subset users with good internet bandwidth to consider using our Worldview web client for accessing imagery.  Here is a link to Worldview:

https://worldview.earthdata.nasa.gov/

To access the polar view, click on the "globe" icon in the upper right corner and select "Arctic" or "Antarctic".  Note that the projections used by GIBS differ from those used by the old Rapid Response mosaics.

The Corrected Reflectance imagery is identical to that in Rapid Response but Worldview has many more imagery layers available, including other sensors in addition to MODIS.  The Worldview imagery goes back to 8 May 2012 for most layers.  We are in the process of generating imagery for the entire MODIS record which should be completed in 6-18 months. Additional historical imagery from other sensors is also planned.

In addition, all the imagery in Worldview is also available as a Web Map Tile Service (WMTS) which can be accessed in a variety of ways.  More details on the imagery and access methods are available here:

http://earthdata.nasa.gov/gibs

Let me know if you have any further questions.

We will let you know when the subsets imagery is restored.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

seaicesailor

« Reply #765 on: April 13, 2017, 02:28:23 PM »

Gosh those vectors are long!  The ice movement seems to be virtually unrestrained by any cohesion in the pack.  Any sustained blow from north towards the CAA, Nares or Barents will just shove already-chewed up ice into the oven.
Adam,
I should add the link to ACNFS page so that anybody can see the legend of color and the corresponding speed for a given arrow size, I am careless and just crop out without including them
https://www7320.nrlssc.navy.mil/hycomARC/arctic.html

But to give an idea the darkest red is 30 cm/s, 25 km/day approx, so if a region has sustained drift of that intensity for four days, I know gaps of order of 100 km wide are to appear (or existing ones widening up by as much) near the coasts of Alaska. Perhaps 40 km, perhaps 120 km, but not 10 km, not 200 km. I would not look at the arrows strict sense as if they indicate real displacement, but I just make that sort of mental rough calculation.
so, the Beaufort sea is gonna be in deep in May.

iceman

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #766 on: April 13, 2017, 04:37:29 PM »
Various comments above on Beaufort, but the likely opening this coming week in Chukchi would be quite a rarity for April.  Considerable insolation potential there too, if it holds for any length of time.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #767 on: April 14, 2017, 12:25:21 AM »
Various comments above on Beaufort, but the likely opening this coming week in Chukchi would be quite a rarity for April.  Considerable insolation potential there too, if it holds for any length of time.

Yes, the forecast is quite amazing. Below is the ECMWF forecast from Tropical Tidbits for the coming 8 days. 1041-1046-1049-1049-1044-1042-1038-1036 hPa are pressures not to be sniffed at. So, expect a lot of ice pulling away from coasts in the Beaufort and Chukchi Seas. And then we'll have to see whether the ice will be pushed back again and/or whether there still is some refreeze possible (which would be entirely cosmetic, of course).
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Adam Ash

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • The 100 metre line
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #768 on: April 14, 2017, 08:06:13 AM »
Gosh those vectors are long! ....
Adam,
I should add the link to ACNFS page so that anybody can see the legend...
so, the Beaufort sea is gonna be in deep in May.

Thanks SeaIce!  I had figured the vectors were an indication of velocity not distance.  Even 25 km a day is still a pretty step - especially when it is in a direction which is not conducive to the longevity of the ice.  My main concern was that the chart seemed to show that the ice pack is no longer offering any significant resistance to wind-induced motion beyond what a bit of flotsam would experience in open water.  This is a far cry from the comparative stability of the thick and well interlocked central pack of old, I suspect.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #769 on: April 14, 2017, 09:31:20 AM »
There's no sign of any activity on the North Pole Environmental Observatory web site, but nonetheless there is now an ice mass balance buoy in situ near the North Pole:

http://GreatWhiteCon.info/resources/ice-mass-balance-buoys/winter-201617-imb-buoys/#2017B

To celebrate I've updated the IMB buoy temperature profiles slightly. The dotted lines at the left show maximum and minimum air temperature over the preceeding 24 hour period. The thermistor 1 reading is now in column 2.

As also reported by the the 2 Degrees North Pole Expedition, it's warming up in the area.

Current Buoy Data (04/12/2017):

Pos: 89.19 N, 30.07 E
Air Temp: -15.56 C
Air Pres: 1020.69 mb
Snow depth : ? cm
Ice thickness : 172 cm
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

JimboOmega

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #770 on: April 14, 2017, 05:42:28 PM »
There's no sign of any activity on the North Pole Environmental Observatory web site, but nonetheless there is now an ice mass balance buoy in situ near the North Pole:

http://GreatWhiteCon.info/resources/ice-mass-balance-buoys/winter-201617-imb-buoys/#2017B

To celebrate I've updated the IMB buoy temperature profiles slightly. The dotted lines at the left show maximum and minimum air temperature over the preceeding 24 hour period. The thermistor 1 reading is now in column 2.

As also reported by the the 2 Degrees North Pole Expedition, it's warming up in the area.

Current Buoy Data (04/12/2017):

Pos: 89.19 N, 30.07 E
Air Temp: -15.56 C
Air Pres: 1020.69 mb
Snow depth : ? cm
Ice thickness : 172 cm

Can you explain the attached graph? Is that air temperature, per hour, on the 12th of April? As it reaches and seems to be steady at -2 that's a bit different than the quoted -15.6.

I'd be very surprised to see that temperature, especially that flat. Usually when I see a temperature graph go flat like that I assume it's because of an ongoing phase change.

crandles

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 239
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #771 on: April 14, 2017, 05:51:45 PM »
Can you explain the attached graph? Is that air temperature, per hour, on the 12th of April? As it reaches and seems to be steady at -2 that's a bit different than the quoted -15.6.

I'd be very surprised to see that temperature, especially that flat. Usually when I see a temperature graph go flat like that I assume it's because of an ongoing phase change.

There are sensors at 10cm intervals. High numbers are low down and yes -1.8C is a strong indicator of water or ice at phase change so those are beneath ice. Temperatures vary with ice and snow depth and air temps are shown by lowest numbered sensor.
HTH

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: April 14, 2017, 06:08:55 PM »
Can you explain the attached graph? Is that air temperature, per hour, on the 12th of April?

Wot Crandles said. A more detailed explanation can be found at:

http://GreatWhiteCon.info/resources/ice-mass-balance-buoys/

It's not yet updated with the addition of air temperatures though..
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

Andreas T

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #773 on: April 14, 2017, 10:28:43 PM »
I tried to get an estimate of area  exported through Fram strait by tracking floes in worldview's AMSR2 layer https://go.nasa.gov/2ovmD1c
this is rather laborious, I made screenshots in approx 4 day steps, tracking backwards by frequent toggling layers in GIMP as recommended by A-team some while back
The red dots show position ice floes near the 80deg latitude  on the April 14th and where they were on February 12th. The outlined area is what has gone or is about to disapear via the Greenland sea.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 10:34:44 PM by Andreas T »

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #774 on: April 14, 2017, 10:39:47 PM »
Great animation Andreas. Any idea of the total distance moved? Is this something like 1000 km?

Andreas T

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: April 14, 2017, 11:49:10 PM »
Great animation Andreas. Any idea of the total distance moved? Is this something like 1000 km?
sorry, that 100km marker is only partly shown. On average the northern edge of the area is just south of 85degN. That makes it a little over 500km long. Width is about 300km

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: April 15, 2017, 12:12:56 AM »
Thanks. Back of the envelope calculation: if the exported area (consisting mainly of older ice) was replaced by new ice somewhere in the CAB that is thinner by 2 meters, this is something like 300 km3 lost just by this mechanism in this vicinity, in addition to other export areas and of course the ice "lost" by lack of FDDs.

slow wing

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 155
  • Likes Given: 546
« Reply #777 on: April 15, 2017, 12:58:06 AM »
sorry, that 100km marker is only partly shown. On average the northern edge of the area is just south of 85degN. That makes it a little over 500km long. Width is about 300km
Yes, very nice plot Andreas. Thanks for posting it.

Concerning the length of the designated region and its Northern edge, the North Pole is where the two lines of constant longitude intersect.  I used 2 rulers to find the point of intersection (i.e. the position of the North Pole, not shown in the images) and to extimate that the Northern edge of the designated area intersects the 0 degrees longitude line at ~86degN.

The length of the line segment inside the area and down to the 80degN curve is therefore 6 degrees of latitude, which is around 670 km.

So that means the ice starting at the Northern end of the line segment travelled about 670 km
out through the Fram Strait in the 2 months beginning on 12 February. That's an average flow speed of around 20 km per day.

Approximating your area by a rectangle with the Southern side at 80degN then the width of the rectangle is about 60% of its length.

So the ice area enclosed is ~ 0.6 x (670 km)^2 ~ 270,000 km^2

That area can be considered lost by export in ~61 days, or ~4400 km^2/day.

If assuming the ice thickness averages 2.3m = 0.0023 km then 4400 x 0.0023 = 10 km^3/day
is lost by Fram export; a total of ~600 km^3 over the 2 months.

If we approximate the maximum sea ice volume this year at ~20,000 km^3 (from PIOMAS) then the fraction lost is:
~600/20,000 ~ 3%.

So Andreas' animation shows about 3% of this year's maximum Arctic sea ice volume has been lost by export through the Fram Strait over the past 2 months.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 01:09:23 AM by slow wing »

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: April 15, 2017, 05:36:09 AM »
NSIDC saw a big drop for the 13th in SIE.

2017,    04,  12,     13.911
                                         x 106 km2
2017,    04,  13,     13.784
"....and the appointed time came for God to bring to ruin those ruining the earth." Revelation 11:18.

romett1

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: April 15, 2017, 08:16:39 AM »
Bering Strait and Chukchi Sea Apr 12 - Apr 14. There were temperatures above 1°C and stronger winds, effectively open water already some 200 km from Diomede Islands. Images: Worldview.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #780 on: April 15, 2017, 10:42:52 AM »
Robertscribbler.com has an article on a "Brutish" anticyclone currently over the Beaufort sea causing havoc in the Bering strait , Laptev and Chukchi seas over the next few days, with consequent uptick in sea extent reduction / melting.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

romett1

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: April 15, 2017, 11:02:27 AM »
Robertscribbler.com has an article on a "Brutish" anticyclone currently over the Beaufort sea causing havoc in the Bering strait , Laptev and Chukchi seas over the next few days, with consequent uptick in sea extent reduction / melting.

Forecast is not good for ESS either, latest temp anomaly forecast until Apr 22 (GFS, Climate Reanalyzer).

F.Tnioli

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 147
  • Likes Given: 38
« Reply #782 on: April 15, 2017, 12:51:02 PM »
Right now, i am sitting in my appartment 1 km from Moscow, Russia. It is anomalously cold outside for the season: +2°C. We had many days way below average for the season, past month here. There is no snow for weeks, already. It's a sunny day, and again, we had several sunny days recently. Trees are still standing in their winter mode, no leaves.

How this relates to the Arctic melting season, you'd ask? Quite much.

I can't help but to think that all the cold we have here comes from the Arctic. Naturally, with the Sun shining like that, there is no other place for the cold to come from. So that means, huge mass of air came all the way from the Arctic down here, 55th parralel. And then obviously, up there in Arctic, some _other_ air took the place of the mass which came to Moscow; where would that "came to the Arctic" air come from? Inevitably, it'd come from somewhere which is not Arctic. Means, it was quite very warm air coming to Arctic, in huge amount. Not good for the ice.

And then there is even more. Now that that enourmous mass of air which cools down central Russia for weeks arrived here, - it's warming up. Fast. No snow and sunny days means low albedo and high insolation. No leaves on trees only further increases speed of that process. Lots and lots of heat is being stored into this air i got right out my window. And inevitably, some of that air will end up in Arctic once again, part of athmospheric circulation, - carrying some of heat it absorbs today right up there, to the ice in Arctic.

It doesn't feel good.

P.S. As visible from the forecast in the post just above, Scandinavia and much of North America landmasses are currently doing about the same thing, and will keep at it at even bigger negative anomaly than central Russia for the next few days: "stealing" cold from the Arctic, and warming all the air up extra fast whereever there is no snow cover already.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 01:20:06 PM by F.Tnioli »
To everyone: before posting in a melting season topic, please be sure to know contents of this moderator's post: https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,3017.msg261893.html#msg261893 . Thanks!

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #783 on: April 15, 2017, 12:59:21 PM »
Things on the move and opening up again in the Beaufort and Chukchi Seas:
The enemy is within

E. Smith

JayW

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 226
  • Likes Given: 292
« Reply #784 on: April 15, 2017, 01:46:31 PM »
Alaska overview April 9-14.  I plan on making some higher resolution closeups when time allows.

http://feeder.gina.alaska.edu

"To defy the laws of tradition, is a crusade only of the brave" - Les Claypool

iceman

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #785 on: April 15, 2017, 02:27:56 PM »
this is rather laborious, I made screenshots in approx 4 day steps, tracking backwards by frequent toggling layers in GIMP as recommended by A-team some while back
Nice work, glad to see some of A-team's data visualization expertise percolating through the forum.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: April 15, 2017, 02:32:17 PM »
Looking at Hycom's Nowcast for the next few days, it seems openings are expected in Hudson and Kara.

jai mitchell

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 207
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #787 on: April 15, 2017, 02:44:05 PM »
Nice work, glad to see some of A-team's data visualization expertise percolating through the forum.

I remember he was talking about a GIMP extension that helped make these animations. 
Haiku of Futures Passed
My "burning embers"
are not tri-color bar graphs
+3C today

Bill Fothergill

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: April 15, 2017, 04:00:56 PM »
@Bill Fothergill
... I assume you allow that I posted those on my facebook profile, else let me know

Magnamentis, apologies for not giving positive confirmation earlier. No real excuse, other than senility.  :P

Please feel free to use as you see fit.

Bill Fothergill

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: April 15, 2017, 04:03:30 PM »
What should be painfully clear is that there is a double whammy going on. Not only is the average maximum value decreasing, but the average loss leading up to the minimum is increasing. As a consequence, the ice remaining at the September minimum is feeling the pinch - from both sides.

Bill - Today I sent a link to Jim's PIOMAS chart that you "plagiarized" to a concerned but non-ice-obsessed neighbor, as I thought it was an excellent graphic.  I titled the email "A classic pincer move," a term from military strategy where you attack an enemy from two flanks simultaneously.

The phrase "classic pincer move" was exactly what went through my mind when I first saw Jim's PIOMAS chart.

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: April 15, 2017, 10:42:28 PM »
Another view of the Beaufort.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: April 16, 2017, 12:44:12 PM »
The AMSR2 regional area graphs confirm the effects of the recent anticyclonic winds:

http://GreatWhiteCon.info/2017/04/facts-about-the-arctic-in-april-2017/#comment-221417

Shared Humanity

« Reply #792 on: April 16, 2017, 03:05:38 PM »
Not surprising the Chukchi is opening up early given the ridiculously thin ice. I expect the ESS, Laptev and Kara to do the same. The negative anomalies are horrendous in all of these seas. Even the anomalously thick ice piled up near the Wrangel, New Siberian and Severnaya Zemlya islands should be no cause for comfort as this is lousy, thin, first year ice that has ridged near these islands as a result of an endless succession of lows that raced through the CAB all winter.

Bob Wallace

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #793 on: April 16, 2017, 04:37:16 PM »
I tried to get an estimate of area  exported through Fram strait by....

Would it be useful to start a thread dedicated to ice movement through the Fram (and possibly other 'drains')?

Some years back some of us started suspecting that the last phase of the annual Arctic meltout would involve large transports of broken up, mobile ice out of the Arctic basin.  Much like how ice in rivers can suddenly break up and flush out. 

It seems like the Arctic flush is growing.  Transport out may be contributing a larger percentage of ice loss than in place melting.  I'd like a way to track changes in transport.

Andreas T

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: April 16, 2017, 04:46:59 PM »
good idea, easier to find stuff in dedicated threads. Somebody was looking into ice movement a while back but I can't remember who and wouldn't know where to start looking.

bbr2314

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 158
  • Likes Given: 53
« Reply #795 on: April 17, 2017, 03:36:02 AM »
The ice is heating up quickly now, should probably be another two weeks or so until we see large parts begin to break 0C on a daily basis.

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: April 17, 2017, 05:36:03 AM »
Worldview is down. Uni-Bremen is down. So, I went with what I could get.
Beaufort 15th(left) vs. 16th
I highly recommend using the zoom.

jdallen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 650
  • Likes Given: 244
« Reply #797 on: April 17, 2017, 07:33:31 AM »
Worldview is down. Uni-Bremen is down. So, I went with what I could get.
Beaufort 15th(left) vs. 16th
I highly recommend using the zoom.

Dramatic and massive changes.  It looks to be catching up with 2016 pretty rapidly.
This space for Rent.

romett1

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: April 17, 2017, 09:25:23 AM »

P.S. As visible from the forecast in the post just above, Scandinavia and much of North America landmasses are currently doing about the same thing, and will keep at it at even bigger negative anomaly than central Russia for the next few days: "stealing" cold from the Arctic, and warming all the air up extra fast whereever there is no snow cover already.

Same situation here in Tallinn, Estonia (900 km north-west from Moscow). By the way, this situation extends well into next week, latest temp anomalies Apr 18 - Apr 24 (GFS, Climate Reanalyzer).

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #799 on: April 17, 2017, 11:22:39 AM »
Uni Bremen SIC animation for April 12-16 (two more days after which things will probably slow down):
The enemy is within

E. Smith