Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: James Hansen is Leaving NASA to Intensify His Campaign for Carbon Cuts  (Read 6699 times)

Vergent

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 2

dorlomin

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
‘Activist scientists’. So like Leo Szilard, Albert Einstein, Carl Sagan and so on.

When you see a problem, sometimes you just have to try to change the world.
Take it for granted you are wrong.
Just try to work out what about and why.

OldLeatherneck

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
Steve Stockman (R-Texas) Hopes James Hansen's NASA Retirement Will Encourage Climate Change Denial

Sadly, we here in the U.S. are saddled with congressional leaders that are leading the way when it comes to "Climate Change Denial".  It is times like this that I'm ashamed to say that I live in the state of Texas.  The below quotes are from an article in the Huffington Post:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/04/steve-stockman-james-hansen_n_3015463.html?ir=Green&ref=topbar

Rep. Steve Stockman (R-Texas), a member of the House Science Committee who recently claimed that Earth's best feature was that "if you poke holes in it oil and gas come out," is glad that top NASA climate scientist James Hansen has retired. With him gone, Stockman told the Houston Chronicle on Thursday, there might be more room for those who, like the congressman, deny man-made climate change.

“I hope they investigate other causes and not be myopic about it,” Stockman told the Chronicle of his hopes for future NASA climate research. Earlier in the interview the congressman suggested that Hansen's data had been skewed by his belief that anthropogenic climate change was real, an insistence that Stockman claimed may have been influenced by financial support from environmentalists.

While Stockman sits on the House Science Committee, he, like many Republican members, is resistant to studies that show climate change to be a function of human activity. He called global warming a "new fad thing" in 2009, encouraging people to reject new studies on the issue because "we like our lifestyles." That same year, he also spoke at a conference for climate change skeptics in Denmark on behalf of the Committee for a Constructive Tomorrow, a group that funds studies that aid the cause of climate change denial.

"Share Your Knowledge.  It's a Way to Achieve Immortality."  ......the Dalai Lama

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1336
  • Likes Given: 618
How old is this man? Will it be possible to throw him in jail 15-20 years from now?
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

gfwellman

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
Will it be possible to throw him in jail 15-20 years from now?
G-d I f--king hope so.

Unfortunately the concept of accountability has been almost abandoned in the US for a while.  No prosecutions over the financial crisis.  No prosecutions for approving and committing torture.  No prosecutions for misleading the country into a war based on non-existent WMD.  And it's not only the lack of criminal sanctions; it's the lack of any loss of prestige, influence or wealth.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
How old is this man? Will it be possible to throw him in jail 15-20 years from now?

If we're going to throw him anyway would defenestration be an option? Glaziers are always looking for more work.[size=78%]

Terry[/size]

OldLeatherneck

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
Sadly, his being a co-conspirator in what will become "The Greatest Crime Against Humanity in the History of Humankind" is not yet considered a punishable offense!!

"Share Your Knowledge.  It's a Way to Achieve Immortality."  ......the Dalai Lama

GeoffBeacon

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 21
James Hansen at the London School of Economics
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 04:20:04 PM »
In advance of James Hansen speaking at the London School of Economics this Thursday (16th May) I have written an Open Letter to James Hansen  http://www.brusselsblog.co.uk/open-letter-to-james-hansen/

Before I alert the people mentioned in it, I would be grateful of comments/corrections
Il faut cultiver notre cité-jardin
The Sustainable Plotlands Association

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 50
James Hansen is advocating a tax on fossil fuels that would be shared between Americans !
http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/mailings/2013/20130529_AmericanParty.pdf
I am not sure about the effectiveness of that proposal...well I am not American, but something has to be done...quickly !

He also point an international conference in Washington DC 23-25 june
http://citizensclimatelobby.org/2013-international-conference