Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Moderation  (Read 5604 times)

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
Moderation
« on: March 09, 2017, 09:34:03 PM »
The Forum keeps growing, which is great news, but there are some downsides as well, the most conspicuous of course being off-topic comments and rants in the wrong threads, especially the ones with most readers, such as the freezing/melting threads, and the IJIS and PIOMAS threads. Lately this has been really getting out of hand.

I've decided to do two things:

1. Delete those off-topic comments for a while, to see if that helps. It entails extra work, but so do the moderator reports, warning people and PM-ing back and forth.
2. Forum member and long time ASIB commenter Jim Pettit has offered to help out, and so I've decided to assign him the role of General Moderator, which allows him to intervene with all kinds of things, like approving comments from new members, moving threads, modifying polls when necessary, etc.

That should get us through the coming melting season.  ;)
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 60
Re: Moderation
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 09:54:37 PM »
Thanks! Good luck.

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 10:22:12 PM »
It is always good in any endeavor to have someone trustworthy to delegate responsibility to. I think this is a good move. Worse than being just off topic is an off topic argument. Many of us feel like we have to have the last word in an argument and our pride won't let us stop. The longer an argument goes, the worse the things said get. Much better that it gets nipped before hard feelings are caused. Surely this move will keep us all on our toes.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 03:03:03 AM by Tigertown »
"....and the appointed time came for God to bring to ruin those ruining the earth." Revelation 11:18.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 02:27:06 AM »
I hope A-team reads this .. we would not have lost him if this action had been taken earlier . Have a great melting season everyone and lets enjoy informative threads .. bc
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 07:03:04 AM »
This is probably a job almost nobody wants, so we owe our thanks to Jim Petit for stepping up!

Anne

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 08:54:37 AM »
Great news, Neven. And many thanks to Jim Pettit for stepping up for this necessary and unenviable job.

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 99
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 09:44:47 PM »

Btw: i miss A-team

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 09:56:22 PM »
... and others, like Sleepy ...

together - we are stronger - it's not a slogan  - it's life

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 10:15:50 PM »
and Terry and philopek and Tim and  other humans .help me and fill this space. YOU know there were/are others

morganism

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 215
  • Likes Given: 124
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2023, 09:38:53 PM »
/u/spez is right about feudalism and that's why reddit as we know it is doomed

https://maya.land/monologues/2023/07/01/spez-feudalism-reddit.html
(...)
So in this post, I want to talk a bit about how the relevant historical phenomena worked, a bit about why feudalism tends to be a pretty bad comparison to internet stuff, and a bit about why Reddit CEO Steve Huffman is – still! – maybe more correct than he knows when he compares moderators to landed gentry… in a way that suggests the end coming for Reddit as-we-know-it1.
(snip)
Local variance in custom makes it really hard to moderate from outside the community…

If you ask heavy-use Redditors about their use of the site, many will, unprompted, bring up that the main big subreddits are trash and, while they might also subscribe to /r/gifs or whatever, they’re really there for the niche communities that are quite different – in both tone and content. Yes, it’s impressive that the recommendation algorithms on short-form video platforms can deduce my susceptibility to thirst-trappy woodcutter lady content, but the level of specificity in which such content is arranged on Reddit is far more impressive (sometimes horrifying in its specificity, if we’re being honest). These are far more diverse in intent and effect than the “communities” of shared engagement that arise around algorithmically recommended topics.

Maintaining engagement on /r/AskHistorians requires a very different standard of post and comment moderation than e.g. /r/circlejerkaustralia; they are trying to be different things, people go to them for different things, and the rules that will best encourage posters to post and consumers to consume are different.

How would you do that in a scalable way from the outside? Hell, set aside trying to keep things on-topic – from the outside, how can you keep up with the ever-shifting dog whistles and coded signifiers of bigotry that accompany the first encroachments of Nazis into your bar? Maybe advertisers won’t understand either to care about the first wave, but you better believe they won’t like the media coverage of the later ones…

In an environment as heterogeneous and nichey as Reddit has been: you can’t. It works about as well as compiling the Local Fruit-Gathering Rules with the Firewood Addenda for every village in your nation. So if you’re going to have heterogeneous and nichey social media, you need moderation to be heterogeneous and nichey, enacted by the kind of person Scott calls a “local tracker”. Reddit as it has existed does not have the “state capacity” to do this any other way. Maybe, at least for the high-engagement subreddits that it considers most important, it can replace the local trackers with more compliant ones – but it can’t go without them. The king of Reddit, today, needs somebody to go be baron. If he couldn’t get them for free, he’d have to pay them.
…but if you can rent-tax from outside the community, you can shift the balance of power

Reddit does not pay its moderators. It is not fully accurate to say that Reddit even confers the status and control that moderators possess, because that status and control is scoped to their moderated communities, and thus principally a function of community prominence. Anyone can be a mod; being a moderator of something that matters is something different entirely, and it’s Reddit’s userbase that makes that happen. On Reddit, many communities are extremely fungible; use the site long enough and you’ll observe schisms and migrations to new bits of namespace. We can argue that there is some extent to which community prominence is driven by the desirability of the community name, which is a bit conferred by Reddit – if I’m looking for an X subreddit, I’m going to look for /r/X before /r/originalX, /r/seriousX, /r/XUncensored etc., so there’s something meaningful to who gets to keep running /r/X – but in practice this is moderately fluid, as genres of content merge and divide even without explicit mod drama.

So if I were going to pin down what Reddit “gives” its mods, I would probably put it something like this: The ability to create and grow an online community with a bunch of useful (and not free-to-operate!) infrastructure and with intercommunity discovery among a large existing userbase.

What Reddit gets from its mods is – following the above – the ability to make the money that it makes from ads.

So how do you know whether that’s a fair trade?

( i never saw this discussed like this before, pretty interesting)