Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The problem of Corporate Democrats and how to kick them out  (Read 21728 times)

sidd

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
Re: The problem of Corporate Democrats and how to kick them out
« Reply #500 on: October 11, 2017, 05:11:49 AM »
Wonders will never cease. Even Clinton supporter Markos Moulitsas (DailyKos) comes out against DiFi.

https://mobile.twitter.com/markos/status/917413790748049408

Her days might be numbered. Cool.

sidd

TerryM

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: October 11, 2017, 05:47:53 PM »
The opposition to Trump's Republicans needs to win seats in 2018, especially on the State level, otherwise the 2020 gerrymandering will all but kill any chance of defeating Republicans from 2020 until the next census in 2030.

If Democratic candidates can't campaign on popular issues because of their corporate ties they will lose. If the Democrats eschew corporate funding, they could lose simply by being outspent by the Republicans.

The only winning path that I can see is for the Democrats to campaign on the issues that disturb their corporate sponsors, and rely on individual contributions to pay the bills. Trump has proven that a candidate doesn't need to outspend his opposition to win. Bernie has proven that his democratic vision resonates with the voters.

If we can't learn from this loss, I'm afraid we'll have plenty more to learn from.

Terry

sidd

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: October 11, 2017, 09:46:01 PM »

TerryM

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: October 13, 2017, 02:15:36 AM »
Gee, when did the onion begin writing Pelosi's speeches ?

http://www.theonion.com/blogpost/americans-are-tired-same-old-pandering-and-stale-i-57135

The Onion presents a realistic overview of the DNC's campaigns for both 2018 and 2020 campaigns.

I finally got around to reading:
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/09/how-america-lost-its-mind/534231/

An interesting look back at the recent history of of America, and how it has lost it's mind.

The premise is that since the 60's, fantasy has been more and more accepted across the entire political landscape. Hippies insisted that their fantasies were as real as the authorities authoritative truths. The authorities encouraged this when they mixed fact with fiction to demonize the hippies. Eventually the right responded by insisting that their Christian delusions should be taught beside Darwin's revalations. The left's response that this violated known truths was met with derision, and memories of Past life regression, EMDR therapy. and Flower power.

Over time Trump demanded that his beliefs be given the same weight as empirical fact. When he says that "Many believe", or that he'd, "Read in on the internet", these are pleas to ignore the truth and to act on beliefs, rather than to act as truth demands.

Neven sees a divide between scientific truth and political fantasy.
I see a correlation between scientific truth and political reality.

Political reality, I believe, can be every bit as robust a reality as scientific reality.
When provocateurs invite their followers to see monsters, monsters do appear. Not necessarily in the person that the politician had directed his followers to observe. Not necessarily in the person of the provocateur himself, but some true believer in his audience will become a monster, perhaps many.

Is this as real as the reality that ice melts when warmed?

If ice is kept away from heat sources, it generally doesn't become a liquid.
If people are kept away from provocateurs, they generally don't become monsters.

To prevent the melting of Arctic ice we need to discourage global warming.
To prevent the making of monsters we need to discourage provocateurs.

We must begin calling out the dangerously untrue and unreal whether in the scientific or the political realm.
Terry
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 03:37:21 AM by TerryM »

sidd

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: October 13, 2017, 03:28:08 AM »
Re:
--
"If people are kept away from provocateurs, they generally don't become monsters."

"To prevent the making of monsters we need to discourage provocateurs."

"We must begin calling out the dangerously untrue and unreal whether in the scientific of the political realm."
--
I take it that in the last sentence "of" should be read "or."

I do not believe the first sentence, or the second. In my experience monsters can grow all by themselves but  in a healthy society they gain no power.

As to the third sentence, I wonder what "calling out" means ? Some seem to think that "calling out" means "shouting down."

sidd

TerryM

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: October 13, 2017, 05:02:16 AM »
Re:
--
"If people are kept away from provocateurs, they generally don't become monsters."

"To prevent the making of monsters we need to discourage provocateurs."

"We must begin calling out the dangerously untrue and unreal whether in the scientific of the political realm."
--
I take it that in the last sentence "of" should be read "or."

I do not believe the first sentence, or the second. In my experience monsters can grow all by themselves but  in a healthy society they gain no power.

As to the third sentence, I wonder what "calling out" means ? Some seem to think that "calling out" means "shouting down."

sidd

Thanks for the heads up, I've corrected the original.

I've known very few "monsters" in my life. All the really crazed ones seemed to be motivated by righting a real or perceived wrong. When that perception is incorrect, a monster has been "made".
I'm sure the man who killed Qaddafi believed he was saving the world from a monster.

Carving a swastika in someone's forehead, after knocking out his front teeth is a monstrous act, dousing him with lighter fuel and igniting the same is worse, when you learn that the "victim" was Charlie Manson does that change anything?

Some do seem to believe that "shouting down" is an acceptable form of debate, unfortunately.

Here in Canada we have laws against "hate speech" which recognize the danger of inflaming passions against persons or groups. The law isn't heavily enforced, which is a shame.
Terry

Jim Pettit

• Global Moderator
  • ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: October 13, 2017, 12:57:25 PM »
Carving a swastika in someone's forehead, after knocking out his front teeth is a monstrous act, dousing him with lighter fuel and igniting the same is worse, when you learn that the "victim" was Charlie Manson does that change anything?

Dealing in hypotheticals now? Manson's gave himself his forehead swastika (nee 'X'). Anyway, my answer would remain the same: I don't condone vigilante justice of any kind, and I loathe violence.

I don't believe that "shouting down" is an acceptable form of debate. However, if a loathsome pig with a long and well-documented history of spouting hateful and divisive rhetoric with the intention of provoking violence opens his mouth, I see nothing wrong with speaking over him. Not as a form of debate--the pig is not interested in that--but as a way of ensuring the non-hateful and non-divisive is heard. Some may not see a difference, but a difference there is.

TerryM

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: October 13, 2017, 06:52:25 PM »

Dealing in hypotheticals now? Manson's gave himself his forehead swastika (nee 'X'). Anyway, my answer would remain the same: I don't condone vigilante justice of any kind, and I loathe violence.

I don't believe that "shouting down" is an acceptable form of debate. However, if a loathsome pig with a long and well-documented history of spouting hateful and divisive rhetoric with the intention of provoking violence opens his mouth, I see nothing wrong with speaking over him. Not as a form of debate--the pig is not interested in that--but as a way of ensuring the non-hateful and non-divisive is heard. Some may not see a difference, but a difference there is.
Do your sources also believe that he knocked out his own teeth, then later set himself afire like a Vietnamese monk?
Terry

Buddy

• ASIF Upper Class
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: October 14, 2017, 02:42:21 PM »
Karma is a funny thing isn't it?  You just never know where she will pop up.  Spend too much time worrying about secondary issues instead of the primary issues  in another country....and all of the sudden a 31 year old problem surfaces in your own country. 😳

What could possibly go wrong with an "experienced" 31 year old nationalist leader? 😉
FOX (TASS) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

Neven

• Administrator
  • ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #509 on: October 14, 2017, 03:38:11 PM »
Karma is a funny thing isn't it?  You just never know where she will pop up.  Spend too much time worrying about secondary issues instead of the primary issues  in another country....and all of the sudden a 31 year old problem surfaces in your own country. 😳

What could possibly go wrong with an "experienced" 31 year old nationalist leader? 😉

Nothing will go wrong. The rich will continue to get richer. That's all.

That's what you get when the local Democrats (SPÖ, 'left') hire some Israeli spin doctor (guess where he learned his trade) to set up fake Facebook pages where one opponent (ÖVP, right) gets smeared by the other opponent (FPÖ, extreme right) in the hope that voters would get turned off by both and vote SPÖ.

No vision, no ideas, no passion, just political correctness, identity politics and dirty tricks. In the meantime the FPÖ successfully employs Trump tactics. And in Austria there isn't even a Sanders to show a real, meaningful alternative. Nobody understands what is really at stake, just like in the US.

I can't vote here yet, as I haven't been in Austria for long enough. I wanted to vote for the Dutch elections, but didn't know I had to register months in advance. BTW, the local Democrats there, the PvdA, have also made a total mess of themselves, but thankfully there are some parties that could be considered somewhat left, or at least not neoliberal/con. The PVV (extreme right) is too stupid to capitalize, but there are other narcissistic egotists popping up to fill the void. No Sanders in sight there either, only blah blah blah.

Keep focusing on Trump and appearances, Buddy, and one day you will see that real karma is. You know, when Pence takes over, or when a smart version of Trump shows up in the coming 10 years, and your 'resistance' consists of Barbie and Ken.  ;D
Il faut cultiver notre jardin

Buddy

• ASIF Upper Class
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: October 14, 2017, 04:13:25 PM »
Take the first step first....then work on the second step.  But you definitely have to get rid of the first problem FIRST.  Thoughts from an ally... you just don't know I'm an ally. 😊

FOX (TASS) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

TerryM

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: October 14, 2017, 08:17:56 PM »
Take the first step first....then work on the second step.  But you definitely have to get rid of the first problem FIRST.  Thoughts from an ally... you just don't know I'm an ally. 😊

My ally's don't promote Pence's Presidency. We got rid of LBJ once, remember how well that worked out?
Terry

Neven

• Administrator
  • ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #512 on: October 14, 2017, 09:55:10 PM »

Hello, ally.  :)

Can't you get rid of the first problem by replacing it with the best possible alternative? Or do you need to replace it with another problem (Corporate Democrats)? After which the first problem takes over again, but bigger. Rinse and repeat.

We don't have time for rinse and repeat.

jai mitchell

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: October 19, 2017, 06:05:18 PM »
How a purchased government operates

Haiku of Past Futures
My "burning embers"
are not tri-color bar graphs
+3C today

sidd

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: October 19, 2017, 06:27:24 PM »
Follow the money. The Sackler family is behind Purdue Pharma and the opiod crisis. They are now exporting the model internationally. Tjose oligarchs are equal opportunity oligarchs, they have no problem buying legislators of any color.

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a12775932/sackler-family-oxycontin/

sidd

sidd

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile

Neven

• Administrator
  • ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #516 on: October 19, 2017, 08:10:53 PM »
Nothing about cheater Donna Brazile?

Brazen. Do they really think they're going to get away with this?

TerryM

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: October 19, 2017, 08:33:56 PM »
DNC removing progressives again. This doesn't look good.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/elections/shakeup-democratic-national-committee-longtime-officials-ousted-n812126

sidd
Does appointing someone because of their qualifications as a "Jewish, veteran, transgender, lesbian, grandparent, small business owner", seem almost caricaturish? I'm sure that an Amish, dwarf, hermaphrodite, homeless, Wiccan, refugee from Luxembourg, would be equally qualified.

I like a joke as well as anyone, but these are serious times.
Terry

sidd

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: October 19, 2017, 08:41:55 PM »
"Do they really think they're going to get away with this?"

They think so. Then they will whine a lot when they lose even more seats come 2018.

sidd

sidd

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: October 19, 2017, 10:30:42 PM »
Like I said, they keep doing it:

"“Dianne has a very progressive record, but she also is respected by some of the Republicans who hold the future of the country in their hands,” Angelides concluded. “We are going to need people of stature and strength like her to guide us through.” "

These guys have no shame.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article179634421.html

sidd