Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The problem of Corporate Democrats and how to kick them out  (Read 428799 times)

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: The problem of Corporate Democrats and how to kick them out
« Reply #700 on: November 11, 2017, 05:07:52 PM »
Pileus:

That cartoon has it wrong, the "boat" needs Sanders as much or more than Sanders needs the "boat"! (Or at least what Sanders represents).

BudM

Generally when people want to row in the same boat they work in concert with crew to reach the desired destination.  They don't sit in the stern and blast holes in the deck or foul with the rudder, while the captain leads from the bow and deals with salt and spray and all sorts of contrary conditions. 

Democrats recognize and share the framework concerns and objectives regarding dealing with the threats of Trump's presidency and addressing the deep and systemic problems in America.  If Bernie wants to be part of the team, he should join the Democratic Party.  His revolution was rejected by core Democratic constituencies in the 2016 primary, and his efforts to undermine the Clinton campaign helped deliver the presidency to Trump.

Virginia Democrats rejected the Bernie candidate for gov, and the results show that Dems are well positioned heading into 2018, with or without Bernie.  If Bernie thinks there is something missing with the Dem party, he and his Bros should form a new party and sell their ideas to the American public.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #701 on: November 11, 2017, 08:59:11 PM »

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #702 on: November 11, 2017, 11:20:27 PM »
sidd
Two good links & I particularly appreciated the comments at the first link. The Russians don't get a lot of coverage when the county in question serves up a 40 point jump between elections.

Why did this county swing from Obama supporters to anyone but Hillary voters over such a short time? The short answer is they just didn't like or trust Hillary. The longer version is that even though she outspent Trump by over 300%, she couldn't buy the people's support.
Terry

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #703 on: November 11, 2017, 11:41:29 PM »
Pileus:

That cartoon has it wrong, the "boat" needs Sanders as much or more than Sanders needs the "boat"! (Or at least what Sanders represents).

BudM

If Bernie thinks there is something missing with the Dem party, he and his Bros should form a new party and sell their ideas to the American public.

If possible, I think both sides need to find a working compromise. A third party to the left of the Democrats will only result in more Republicans being elected. You may disagree but I think Bernie brings a lot to the table. Concessions should be made to get the two sides working together.

BudM

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 120
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #704 on: November 12, 2017, 04:38:48 AM »
If possible, I think both sides need to find a working compromise. A third party to the left of the Democrats will only result in more Republicans being elected. You may disagree but I think Bernie brings a lot to the table. Concessions should be made to get the two sides working together.

+1
And I also agree with you that the cartoon has it wrong.
Bernie did not make any demands when he ran as a Democrat.

And although the Democratic party did suppress his candidacy (see the Brazile notes), the Democratic party DID embrace many of his ideas in the 2016 platform.

So even though there seem to be many (even here in this thread) that want to divide the party, there is much evidence that the Democratic party is embracing Bernie's ideas and will be stronger and united going forward.
This is our planet. This is our time.
Let's not waste either.

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: November 12, 2017, 09:32:40 PM »

+1
And I also agree with you that the cartoon has it wrong.
Bernie did not make any demands when he ran as a Democrat.

And although the Democratic party did suppress his candidacy (see the Brazile notes), the Democratic party DID embrace many of his ideas in the 2016 platform.

So even though there seem to be many (even here in this thread) that want to divide the party, there is much evidence that the Democratic party is embracing Bernie's ideas and will be stronger and united going forward.

Bernie lost primarily because his ideas were rejected in the Democratic primary by Democratic voters.

Any divisiveness is largely being driven by the far left.  It helped undermine the Democratic ticket in 2016.  Bernie has some good ideas, but it's a mistake to assume the United States has a broad appetite and capacity for his policies in real structural terms.  It's a $19 trillion economy and stuff needs to be paid for, and their is a broad swath of the population that wants nothing to do with liberals let alone leftists.

Dems have all the momentum going into 2018.  Their biggest mistake would be to swing too far left at a broader level.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: November 12, 2017, 11:37:37 PM »
Saturday Night Live on the Democrat's new messaging:

"We haven't felt this confident since the night before Trump won the election."

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/message-from-the-dnc/3618252

sidd

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #707 on: November 13, 2017, 12:06:01 AM »
Bernie lost primarily because his ideas were rejected in the Democratic primary by Democratic voters.

Any divisiveness is largely being driven by the far left.  It helped undermine the Democratic ticket in 2016.  Bernie has some good ideas, but it's a mistake to assume the United States has a broad appetite and capacity for his policies in real structural terms.  It's a $19 trillion economy and stuff needs to be paid for, and their is a broad swath of the population that wants nothing to do with liberals let alone leftists.

Dems have all the momentum going into 2018.  Their biggest mistake would be to swing too far left at a broader level.

A lot of stuff needs to be paid for, but most of it ends up in the bottomless pit of concentrated wealth. If the Corporate Democrats want to keep that status quo (endless wars, hugely expensive health care/insurance, backbreaking college debt, addictive foods/drugs/medication), they definitely must not swing too far left.

The only question is: Are people going to fall for it again? Or will it be different this time?
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: November 13, 2017, 01:01:35 AM »
I think those Democrats calling for Sanders to start a third party discount how much more difficult it will be for the Democrats to break Republican control if the Sanders vote splits off.

It may be that the Democratic party is beyond reform but I am not yet convinced. We shall see.

sidd

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
« Reply #709 on: November 13, 2017, 03:08:33 AM »
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: November 13, 2017, 06:06:28 AM »
I'm beginning to like Egberto.

"Progressives must realize that winning is more effective than talking."

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/11/12/1714162/-Hey-progressives-let-s-prove-ourselves-by-winning-the-primaries-and-then-the-whole-thing

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: November 13, 2017, 07:08:55 AM »
America's finest news source on DNC ethics reform:

" ...  the Clinton Institute For Campaign Ethics Reform ... "

https://politics.theonion.com/dnc-unveils-clinton-institute-for-campaign-ethics-refor-1820092241

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: November 13, 2017, 07:44:14 AM »
Neven writes: "The only question is: Are people going to fall for it again? Or will it be different this time?"

I think that in the longer run, say a decade or two, people in the USA will reject oligarchy and endless war, and I do not think the oligarchs are powerful enuf to stem that tide. Whether the Democratic party or the Republican party survive in their present form is open to question.

For the Democratic party, I think change will have to come at state level. At national level, DNC is fatally entwined with oligarchs, and severing that relationship will take a while. But state level party is angry and also easier to change.

As always, I could be wrong.

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: November 14, 2017, 09:20:59 AM »
Speaking of oligarchs and the Democratic Party lets look at just one defense contractor making money off killing foreigners in faraway lands and lets just look at the maximum donation (10K US$) to democrats in 2016 elections. Didnt even bother with the smaller amounts, so sue me.

(Yes I know, republicans are on the suck too. But this thread is about reforming the democrats.)

Data from

http://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/pacgot.php?cycle=2016&cmte=C00303024

These are the democrats who took 10K from one war contactor in 2016. I regret to say that Tulsi Gabbard is one. Pelosi, Schiff, of course. Difi only got 2K, so she didn't make the cut here,  but this is just Lockheed. Look all of them up on opensecrets, it's a laff.

Until we can beat Lockheed and the rest with crowdfunding and crowdvoting, we are screwed.

sidd

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
House of Congress:

Beyer, Don (D-VA)   $10,000
Bishop, Sanford (D-GA)   $10,000
Clyburn, James E (D-SC)   $10,000
Connolly, Gerry (D-VA)   $10,000
Courtney, Joe (D-CT)   $10,000
Crowley, Joseph (D-NY)   $10,000
Cummings, Elijah E (D-MD)   $10,000
Delaney, John K (D-MD)   $10,000
DeLauro, Rosa L (D-CT)   $10,000
Engel, Eliot L (D-NY)   $10,000
Gabbard, Tulsi (D-HI)   $10,000
Honda, Mike (D-CA)   $10,000
Hoyer, Steny H (D-MD)   $10,000
Johnson, Eddie Bernice (D-TX)   $10,000
Johnson, Hank (D-GA)   $10,000
Kaptur, Marcy (D-OH)   $10,000
Keating, Bill (D-MA)   $10,000
Kilmer, Derek (D-WA)   $10,000
Langevin, Jim (D-RI)   $10,000
Larsen, Rick (D-WA)   $10,000
Larson, John B (D-CT)   $10,000
Lowey, Nita M (D-NY)   $10,000
Meeks, Gregory W (D-NY)   $10,000
Neal, Richard E (D-MA)   $10,000
Norcross, Don (D-NJ)   $10,000
Pelosi, Nancy (D-CA)   $10,000
Ruppersberger, Dutch (D-MD)   $10,000
Schiff, Adam (D-CA)   $10,000
Sewell, Terri A (D-AL)   $10,000
Slaughter, Louise M (D-NY)   $10,000
Smith, Adam (D-WA)   $10,000
Thompson, Bennie G (D-MS)   $10,000
Thompson, Mike (D-CA)   $10,000
Veasey, Marc (D-TX)   $10,000
Visclosky, Pete (D-IN)   $10,000
Schatz, Brian (D-HI)   $10,000
Van Hollen, Chris (D-MD)   $10,000
Beyer, Don (D-VA)   $10,000
Bishop, Sanford (D-GA)   $10,000
Clyburn, James E (D-SC)   $10,000
Connolly, Gerry (D-VA)   $10,000
Courtney, Joe (D-CT)   $10,000
Crowley, Joseph (D-NY)   $10,000
Cummings, Elijah E (D-MD)   $10,000
Delaney, John K (D-MD)   $10,000
DeLauro, Rosa L (D-CT)   $10,000
Engel, Eliot L (D-NY)   $10,000
Gabbard, Tulsi (D-HI)   $10,000
Honda, Mike (D-CA)   $10,000
Hoyer, Steny H (D-MD)   $10,000
Johnson, Eddie Bernice (D-TX)   $10,000
Johnson, Hank (D-GA)   $10,000
Kaptur, Marcy (D-OH)   $10,000
Keating, Bill (D-MA)   $10,000
Kilmer, Derek (D-WA)   $10,000
Langevin, Jim (D-RI)   $10,000
Larsen, Rick (D-WA)   $10,000
Larson, John B (D-CT)   $10,000
Lowey, Nita M (D-NY)   $10,000
Meeks, Gregory W (D-NY)   $10,000
Neal, Richard E (D-MA)   $10,000
Norcross, Don (D-NJ)   $10,000
Pelosi, Nancy (D-CA)   $10,000
Ruppersberger, Dutch (D-MD)   $10,000
Schiff, Adam (D-CA)   $10,000
Sewell, Terri A (D-AL)   $10,000
Slaughter, Louise M (D-NY)   $10,000
Smith, Adam (D-WA)   $10,000
Thompson, Bennie G (D-MS)   $10,000
Thompson, Mike (D-CA)   $10,000
Veasey, Marc (D-TX)   $10,000
Visclosky, Pete (D-IN)   $10,000

Senate:

Schatz, Brian (D-HI)   $10,000
Van Hollen, Chris (D-MD)   $10,000
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: November 14, 2017, 04:01:14 PM »
Run Joe, Run ;D

Title: "Joe Biden leaves 2020 question open as book tour begins"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/joe-biden-leaves-2020-question-open-as-book-tour-begins/ar-BBESJb8?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Joe has mass appeal and the personality to go along with it, but I would sincerely hope Dems can produce a better option by 2020.  Both parties suffer from an excess of 70+ national office holders and aspirants.  Dems need someone with the wisdom and experience that comes with age, but also the energy and insights needed to address current and future issues as we move into the 2020s.  Someone who can fire up and turn out the core Dem constituencies, and harness and leverage progressive constituencies while not swinging so far left that it turns off moderates and energizes the right, ensuring continued Republican control.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
« Reply #715 on: November 14, 2017, 05:45:51 PM »
Run Joe, Run ;D

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/joe-biden-leaves-2020-question-open-as-book-tour-begins/ar-BBESJb8?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Joe has mass appeal and the personality to go along with it, but I would sincerely hope Dems can produce a better option by 2020.  Both parties suffer from an excess of 70+ national office holders and aspirants.  Dems need someone with the wisdom and experience that comes with age, but also the energy and insights needed to address current and future issues as we move into the 2020s.  Someone who can fire up and turn out the core Dem constituencies, and harness and leverage progressive constituencies while not swinging so far left that it turns off moderates and energizes the right, ensuring continued Republican control.

Good points.  I will stop promoting Biden until we see who the other candidate are.  The main reason that I have posted about Biden is because I am very tired of reading posts about Hillary (who in my opinion will not run again in 2020).
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: November 14, 2017, 10:05:02 PM »
This is not good. DC is still owned by bankers. Dmocrats teaming with republicans to roll back bank regulation is no way to win in 2018.

https://theintercept.com/2017/11/14/bank-deregulation-bipartisan-senate-equifax/

sidd

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: November 14, 2017, 10:51:35 PM »
Run Joe, Run ;D

Good points.  I will stop promoting Biden until we see who the other candidate are.  The main reason that I have posted about Biden is because I am very tired of reading posts about Hillary (who in my opinion will not run again in 2020).

You should continue to promote him if you feel strongly about him, he’s a good man and would be a solid candidate.  Agree on HRC, although if Joe runs Hillary would likely jump in too.  She would be the younger candidate whilst being in her early 70s.  Would love to see some new blood in the mix, nobody from the 2016 primary ideally.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #718 on: November 14, 2017, 11:16:25 PM »
This is not good. DC is still owned by bankers. Dmocrats teaming with republicans to roll back bank regulation is no way to win in 2018.

https://theintercept.com/2017/11/14/bank-deregulation-bipartisan-senate-equifax/

sidd

As long as they don't swing too far to the left, all is wonderful, sidd.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: November 15, 2017, 02:22:21 AM »
Biden as presidential candidate in 2020 would be a huge error for the Democratic party. Too many remember him as the senator from MBNA who was a chief architect of making student (and other) loans undischargeable in bankruptcy. His victims have not forgotten.

I go thru his hometown of Scranton now and then. I was there last year before the election, visited with a family whose kids have moved back home because of their student loan debt servitude. Their father was a union member, voted straight democratic ticket all his life until last year. Biden was on TV, he turned it off. His comment was, "I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire." Those sentiments are widely shared.

His children turned out no better. Beau (the one who died of cancer) was DA in Baltimore, did nothing while cops were waging war on the black population. Another son, Hunter is neck deep with Ukrainian oligarchs.

sidd

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #720 on: November 15, 2017, 03:38:02 AM »
Biden as presidential candidate in 2020 would be a huge error for the Democratic party. Too many remember him as the senator from MBNA who was a chief architect of making student (and other) loans undischargeable in bankruptcy. His victims have not forgotten.

I go thru his hometown of Scranton now and then. I was there last year before the election, visited with a family whose kids have moved back home because of their student loan debt servitude. Their father was a union member, voted straight democratic ticket all his life until last year. Biden was on TV, he turned it off. His comment was, "I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire." Those sentiments are widely shared.

His children turned out no better. Beau (the one who died of cancer) was DA in Baltimore, did nothing while cops were waging war on the black population. Another son, Hunter is neck deep with Ukrainian oligarchs.

sidd

I think Hunter's antics would be enough to kill off any hope of daddy's candidacy, although they might fill the DNC's coffers. :(
Terry

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: November 16, 2017, 06:51:20 AM »
Mark Warner. Greg Meeks. Gwen Moore. These Democrats collaborate with Republicans to make it legal for payday loansharks to charge 300%.

"wipes away the strongest available tool against predatory lending practices” and will “open the floodgates to a wide range of predatory actors to make loans at 300% annual interest or higher.”

"In 2013, the Pew Charitable Trusts found that a typical payday loan was about $375, with a $55 fee. Since the life of the loan is so short, in just two weeks this “fee” works out to an annual interest rate of over 380 percent. In practice, though, it’s usually much worse than that, since, according to Pew, a typical customer ends up repeatedly rolling over a payday loan, ultimately handing over about $520 in fees to pay off an initial $375 advance."

These guys are cool with ripping of the precariat. They need opposition at home on the ground. Warner won in 2016 Senate, so need cut off his money first, primary him in 2022. The other two are House, so they are coming up in 2018. Anyone primarying them ?

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/payday-lenders-democrats_us_5a0a211ee4b0bc648a0d5325

sidd

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: November 17, 2017, 06:02:42 AM »
Interesting article about Judge Moore's democratic opponent in Alabama, who has opened up a six point lead on the beleaguered republican candidate:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/16/politics/poll-alabama-senate-roy-moore-doug-jones/index.html

I know nothing about democrat Doug Jones, but whoever he is, he seems to be a better choice than Moore, even if he is a "corporate democrat".

BudM

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: November 17, 2017, 06:18:11 AM »
Mark Warner. Greg Meeks. Gwen Moore. These Democrats collaborate with Republicans to make it legal for payday loansharks to charge 300%.

sidd

Back around 2010 or 2011, when I was still living in New Hampshire, "Cash America" a payday loan service, tried to establish a presence there. They ended leaving the State due to regulatory constraints.

I was a loan officer at two different banks and a consumer credit advocate for a non-profit company afterwards. Although I was happy to see these payday lenders leave NH, the problem of people looking for short term solutions has not left or abated in any way.

BudM

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: November 18, 2017, 06:00:53 AM »
Menendez skates, coz bribery of senators is legal. Just two pals doing each other favors, but not connected to any official biz.

" “hosting an event, meeting with other officials, or speaking with interested parties” are not, in and of themselves, enough to constitute such an act. "

https://thinkprogress.org/the-scotus-decision-that-legalized-many-forms-of-bribery-and-helped-save-sen-menendez-from-prison-c5ea12f4b80a/

Coming up for election in 2018. Primary challengers, anyone ?

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: November 18, 2017, 10:46:46 PM »
Democratic Socialists, Our Revolution and Socialist Alternative worked together to elect leftist candidates:

http://www.truth-out.org/opinion/item/42609-how-democratic-socialists-worked-with-sanders-s-our-revolution-and-other-grassroots-groups-to-sweep-november-s-elections

Finally getting a grassroots movement going.

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: November 21, 2017, 05:41:01 AM »
Just in case the consequences, not only for the USA but the rest of the world, of getting in bed with corporate interests isn't clear enuf, this is one of the people whom corporates wind up appointing. The following memo was penned by one of the luminaries of corporate economic thought, at least luminiscent enuf to be appointed to very senior position in two corporate administrations.

"Subject: GEP

'Dirty' Industries: Just between you and me, shouldn't the World Bank be encouraging MORE migration of the dirty industries to the LDCs [Least Developed Countries]? I can think of three reasons:

1) The measurements of the costs of health impairing pollution depends on the foregone earnings from increased morbidity and mortality. From this point of view a given amount of health impairing pollution should be done in the country with the lowest cost, which will be the country with the lowest wages. I think the economic logic behind dumping a load of toxic waste in the lowest wage country is impeccable and we should face up to that.

2) The costs of pollution are likely to be non-linear as the initial increments of pollution probably have very low cost. I've always thought that under-populated countries in Africa are vastly UNDER-polluted, their air quality is probably vastly inefficiently low compared to Los Angeles or Mexico City. Only the lamentable facts that so much pollution is generated by non-tradable industries (transport, electrical generation) and that the unit transport costs of solid waste are so high prevent world welfare enhancing trade in air pollution and waste.

3) The demand for a clean environment for aesthetic and health reasons is likely to have very high income elasticity. The concern over an agent that causes a one in a million change in the odds of prostrate[sic] cancer is obviously going to be much higher in a country where people survive to get prostrate[sic] cancer than in a country where under 5 mortality is 200 per thousand. Also, much of the concern over industrial atmosphere discharge is about visibility impairing particulates. These discharges may have very little direct health impact. Clearly trade in goods that embody aesthetic pollution concerns could be welfare enhancing. While production is mobile the consumption of pretty air is a non-tradable.

The problem with the arguments against all of these proposals for more pollution in LDCs (intrinsic rights to certain goods, moral reasons, social concerns, lack of adequate markets, etc.) could be turned around and used more or less effectively against every Bank proposal for liberalization."

That last paragraph really spells it out.

The memo is easily found, now check out which administrations the author worked for.

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: November 22, 2017, 07:01:23 AM »
Philly is a cesspool, Brady paid a primary opponent to drop out:

http://www.montereyherald.com/article/zz/20171121/NEWS/171129759

Lets not even talk about Detroit and Conyers and his wife:

"One affidavit from a former female employee states that she was tasked with flying in women for the congressman. “One of my duties while working for Rep. Conyers was to keep a list of women that I assumed he was having affairs with and call them at his request and, if necessary, have them flown in using Congressional resources,” said her affidavit. (A second staffer alleged in an interview that Conyers used taxpayer resources to fly women to him.)"

Flying women around on tax dollars for sexual gratification sounds pretty corporate to me.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/paulmcleod/she-complained-that-a-powerful-congressman-harassed-her

https://www.buzzfeed.com/paulmcleod/another-woman-accused-rep-john-conyers-of-sexual-harassment

His ex-wife Monica is a hot mess too, served time for bribery when she was on detroit city council.

http://www.sewagesludgeactionnetwork.com/content/monica-conyers-pleads-guilty-synagro-scandal

Sounds like extortion to me as well as bribery.

sidd

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 99

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: December 02, 2017, 10:30:36 AM »
Just for the record, even the extremist corporate Democrat Joe Manchin voted AGAINST the Trump tax bill :

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/congress-trump-score/joe-manchin-iii/

Sometimes these supposedly 'corporate' Democrats are helpful.
Let's not waste either.

Martin Gisser

« Reply #730 on: December 02, 2017, 02:34:29 PM »
Just in case the consequences, not only for the USA but the rest of the world, of getting in bed with corporate interests isn't clear enuf, this is one of the people whom corporates wind up appointing. The following memo was penned by one of the luminaries of corporate economic thought, at least luminiscent enuf to be appointed to very senior position in two corporate administrations.
[...]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summers_memo
The Summers memo was a 1991 memo on trade liberalization that was written by Lant Pritchett and signed by Lawrence Summers who was then Chief Economist of the World Bank. It included a section that both Summers and Pritchett say was sarcastic that suggested dumping toxic waste in third-world countries for perceived economic benefits.
(my emph.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Summers
Lawrence Henry Summers (born November 30, 1954) is an American economist, former Vice President of Development Economics and Chief Economist of the World Bank (1991–93), senior U.S. Treasury Department official throughout President Clinton's administration (ultimately Treasury Secretary, 1999–2001), and former director of the National Economic Council for President Obama (2009–2010). He is a former president of Harvard University (2001–2006), where he is currently (as of March, 2017) a professor and director of the Mossavar-Rahmani Center for Business and Government at Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government.

... and even this a**hole finds the current GOP tax plans "madness", "nonsense", "ludicrous", "absurd"... in several interviews, e.g. http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/16/news/economy/larry-summers-interview/index.html

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: December 02, 2017, 02:58:08 PM »
Republicans are handing Democrats a gift with imminent passage of the tax reform bill.  Dems already have the momentum and advantage going into the 2018 cycle.  From the results in VA, the generic ballot showing +8 for Dems, and the vast anti-Trump energy which will only grow, Dems are well positioned to swing the House and overperform in the Senate.  The tax bill will have a lot of light shining down on it over the next 11 months, and the analysis and reporting is going to be brutal for Republicans.  The boats of all Dems, from mainstream/Evil Corporate across the spectrum to Unhinged Leftist, should and will be lifted by the rising tide of anti-GOP sentiment.  I just hope Dems are wise enough to install leadership other than Pelosi when they retake the House majority.

Those motivated to kick out the Corporate Dems have an excellent opportunity at the state and national level in 2018, simply because the electorate is going to be open to ANY alternative to Republicans.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: December 02, 2017, 06:56:21 PM »
Republicans are handing Democrats a gift with imminent passage of the tax reform bill.  Dems already have the momentum and advantage going into the 2018 cycle.  From the results in VA, the generic ballot showing +8 for Dems, and the vast anti-Trump energy which will only grow, Dems are well positioned to swing the House and overperform in the Senate.  The tax bill will have a lot of light shining down on it over the next 11 months, and the analysis and reporting is going to be brutal for Republicans.  The boats of all Dems, from mainstream/Evil Corporate across the spectrum to Unhinged Leftist, should and will be lifted by the rising tide of anti-GOP sentiment.  I just hope Dems are wise enough to install leadership other than Pelosi when they retake the House majority.

Those motivated to kick out the Corporate Dems have an excellent opportunity at the state and national level in 2018, simply because the electorate is going to be open to ANY alternative to Republicans.

Exactly !!
Terry

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: December 02, 2017, 07:25:28 PM »

Exactly !!
Terry

It’s just the reality of the situation.  The playing field will be so favourable that any number of Leftists, Bros, SJWs, Socialists, or even Dem Fans of Putin could pick up seats across states and nationally.

The vast majority of the gains will still go to moderate/mainstream/authentic Democrats.  The corporate donor class and oligarchy will not go down anytime soon, but the other groups will be able to chip away.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: December 05, 2017, 08:17:08 PM »
Nine democratic senators want to deregulate Wall Street some more:

Donnelly, Joe [D-IN] --- up for reelection 2018
 Heitkamp, Heidi [D-ND] ---  2018
 Tester, Jon [D-MT] -- - 2018
 Warner, Mark R. [D-VA] --- 2020
 McCaskill, Claire [D-MO] --- 2018
 Manchin, Joe, III [D-WV] --- 2018
 Kaine, Tim [D-VA] --- 2018
 Peters, Gary C. [D-MI] --- 2020
 Bennet, Michael F. [D-CO] --- 2022

https://theintercept.com/2017/12/04/elizabeth-warren-challenges-democrats-deregulating-wall-street/

Six are up for reelection in 2018, need to get that sweet, sweet campaign financing from the plutocrats.  Primary challengers, anyone ? I know Manchin has primary opposition.

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: December 05, 2017, 08:21:28 PM »
Here three democratic Congress reps that want to keep it legal for payday lenders to charge 300% interest. Probably need money for 2018, too.

Alcee Hastings (D-FL)
 Henry Cueller (D-TX)
 Collin Peterson (D-MN)

All up in 2018. Primary challengers ?

https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2017/12/house-members-tee-bipartisan-bill-kill-cfpb-payday-lending-rule.html

sidd

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 185
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #736 on: December 05, 2017, 08:50:29 PM »
That's probably why they are all united against Trump. They don't want the swamp to be drained. Because they are the swamp.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #737 on: December 05, 2017, 10:16:32 PM »
That's probably why they are all united against Trump. They don't want the swamp to be drained. Because they are the swamp.

Yes, together with Trump.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: December 07, 2017, 05:31:38 AM »
Franken gonna resign, too much groping. Even if the governor don't appoint Ellison, I think he should run in 2018. In fact if the DNC don't come out for Ellison, we know they are still sucking on the big money.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/363619-franken-resignation-could-upend-minnesota-races

sidd

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: December 12, 2017, 06:27:18 AM »
If Franken has to resign, why doesn't Trump ?
If Democrats have to be "kicked out" for being too 'corporate' why not Republicans ?
Why do we hold Democrats to a different standard than Republicans ?
Why do Democrats have to concede, and Republicans never concede ?

Bernie Sanders and TYT summarizes it very well :

Why does this thread, which implies a double standard right in the title, even exist ?
Let's not waste either.

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: December 12, 2017, 06:41:42 AM »
Here three democratic Congress reps that want to keep it legal for payday lenders to charge 300% interest. Probably need money for 2018, too.

Alcee Hastings (D-FL)
 Henry Cueller (D-TX)
 Collin Peterson (D-MN)

All up in 2018. Primary challengers ?

https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2017/12/house-members-tee-bipartisan-bill-kill-cfpb-payday-lending-rule.html

sidd

Hastings may get caught up in the sexual harassment purge.  He had a previously undisclosed settlement.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: December 12, 2017, 08:50:42 AM »
"If Franken has to resign, why doesn't Trump ?"

Because Franken don't want to hang on thru an ethics investigation and sees that the Democratic Party wants him out, and, gasp, mebbe has a conscience ? While Trump don't care and the Republicans have his back ?

"If Democrats have to be "kicked out" for being too 'corporate' why not Republicans ? "

Absolutely. Have at it on a different thread.

"Why do we hold Democrats to a different standard than Republicans ?"

Perhaps because some of think there might still be some hope for the democratic party ?

"Why does this thread, which implies a double standard right in the title, even exist ?"

Because some of us are interested in kicking out democrats who work for corporations.

sidd
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 08:56:30 AM by sidd »

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: December 12, 2017, 08:57:34 AM »
Re: Alcee Hastings D-FL

Any idea who replacement might be if Hastings quits ?

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: December 13, 2017, 08:20:58 AM »
Two people control all the money ? explains why state parties were starved in 2016. Hopefully thats changing.

sidd

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #744 on: December 19, 2017, 09:09:49 PM »
How many of the "Democrats that work for corporations" voted FOR the regressive tax cut TODAY in the US House of Representatives......that gave billions of tax cuts to corporations?  Just curious.....

Oh wait....here it is.....I just "happen" to have it right here:

ZERO....ZIP....NADDA..... 0.  Not one of them.  I guess all the Democrats that work for corporations had the day off. 😳 192 votes AGAINST by the dems.  Twelve republicans with at least a partial conscience also voted no.
FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #745 on: December 20, 2017, 10:21:46 AM »
Brilliant arguing, Buddy. Where would the oligarch duopoly be without people like you?

As Jimmy Dore's sidekick, Ron Placone, says, referring to Sanders' success in forcing a revote for the horror tax bill:

To all those centrists and establishment Democrats out there, go ahead and bask in the irony that Bernie Sanders, the guy you love to hate, just showed you what a real resistance looks like.

The enemy is within

E. Smith

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #746 on: December 20, 2017, 12:16:49 PM »
So Neven.....where were all those Democrats that work for the corporations?  Where were all those Democratic votes for the millionaires tax bill?

I'll wait......
FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: December 20, 2017, 01:42:42 PM »
Bernie’s quixotic move will do nothing but delay the inevitable by a day.  The House will pass the bill.  The Senate is more than likely to follow, but if it fails by one or two votes, its because of the broader effort by true Democrats against the bill.  But of course the Bros will slobber over Bernie.

Besides, Bernie is a phony on taxes, he doesn’t fund his fantastical policy promises with realistic revenue proposals, and he’s a coward with respect to releasing his full personal tax record to the American people.  Hillary Clinton was very transparent in releasing her records, while Bernie argued and pushed back against efforts for him to do the same.  Maybe he has something to hide?

Bernie Sanders’s false claim that he has released his full federal tax returns

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2016/04/05/bernie-sanderss-false-claim-that-he-has-released-his-full-federal-tax-returns/?utm_term=.f5be3e9d115d

Martin Gisser

« Reply #748 on: December 20, 2017, 03:52:22 PM »
This bears repeating:

Even Cenk Uygur is sick and tired about the double standards and Democrats throwing themselves under the bus.

There's also a nuance with "corporate": Corporate Dems "represent" a spectrum, while the GOP is meanwhile bought fully by a small fringe nutjob billionaire network.

"Corporate Democrats" are no longer a problem. With the tax bill the GOP completes a slow political suicide. They seem to hope for wingnut welfare from the Kochtopus and the Mercers after they get thrown out next year...
https://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/04/25/wingnut-welfare-and-work-incentives/

Usually I find the Palmer Report a tad too hyperbolic, but this one sums it up perfectly:
http://www.palmerreport.com/opinion/suicide-republican-party-trump/6772/
After a handful of conservative billionaires spent a generation gradually buying off every last Republican in Congress, a traitor named Donald Trump conspired with a foreign enemy to rig the election, which left the Republicans temporarily in charge of the White House, the Senate, and the House. In so doing, Trump destroyed the GOP’s reputation, ensuring it won’t hold another majority for a generation. And so the donors decided to force the party to commit mass suicide today in the name of one last cold hard cash grab.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 04:11:11 PM by Martin Gisser »

Martin Gisser

« Reply #749 on: December 20, 2017, 04:00:30 PM »
As Jimmy Dore's sidekick, Ron Placone, says, referring to Sanders' success in forcing a revote for the horror tax bill:

To all those centrists and establishment Democrats out there, go ahead and bask in the irony that Bernie Sanders, the guy you love to hate, just showed you what a real resistance looks like.
(My emph.)
A paradigmatic case of psychological projection from the Hillary haters... LOL :)

(P.S.: Yes, Jimmy Dore's and friends' Clinton/Rodham phobia is pathological. (Or maybe they are agents of the Kochtopus or Putin...))