Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Russiagate conspiracy theory  (Read 1120412 times)

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: Russiagate
« Reply #2050 on: December 11, 2017, 08:11:01 PM »
Polls for Donnie continue their agonizingly slow grind into "worse territory".  On both Gallup and fivethirtyeight (which is a compilation of polls)....looks like we're shortly going to be in new record "bad" territory for Donnie... within a week or so.

No telling when his Gallup poll approval rate will go "sub 30".... but there is a reasonable chance it is this month.  We are at 35 approval right now..... 2 above his all time low..but it looks like we're heading lower in the next few weeks.

The LONG TERM TREND is definitely down...and short term trends can and DO bounce around a lot.  But when Donnie DOES go sub 30 in Gallup....the "hand wringing" will start, and some Republican lawmakers will find "ethics" through the fog bank. 😳
FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2051 on: December 11, 2017, 09:45:46 PM »
According to fivethirtyeight, our most Honorable Head of State is now 6.4 percent more popular than he was on the day he won election to the presidency.
I'm not sure if most Presidents are more popular one year into the job than they were on election day, but I'm sure that one of our poll obsessed posters will be happy to inform us.

It seems odd that in this increasingly connected age, when our preference for a particular brand of toilet paper can be deduced from a smattering of internet "likes",  that the business of political polling seems to have advanced so little.
Billions are spent on polling, but the prognostications don't seem to agree with each other, or with the "certified" outcomes.

Is it possible that the whole thing is BS, and they really don't know what I wipe my ass with either?
Terry

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: December 11, 2017, 09:57:25 PM »
Canada must use a unique math system.  Here in the States...37.1% is LESS than 47%.  Donnie is now at 37.1% on fivethirtyeight.com.  He was at about 47% when he started.

But don't let the facts get in your way.  I'm sure Hillary would have done the same thing...😳

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: December 11, 2017, 10:13:48 PM »
Canada must use s unique math system.  Here in the States...37.1% is LESS than 47%.  Donnie is now at 37.1% on fivethirtyeight.com.  He at about 47% when he started.

But don't let the facts get in your way.  I'm sure Hillary would have done the same thing...😳

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/

Chance of Winning
Hillary 71.4
Trump 28.6

Electoral College
Hillary 302.2
Trump 235.0

Popular Vote
Hillary 48.5
Trump 44.9

You see here in Canada we compare apples to apples and fivethirtyeight numbers to fivethirtyeight numbers.
Your method of comparing apples to oranges epitomizes the ingenuity for which your homeland is so justifiably famed.

Terry

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: December 11, 2017, 10:24:49 PM »
Gallup.com/poll/201617/gallup-daily-job-approval.aspx

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2055 on: December 11, 2017, 10:51:31 PM »
Also note....per Gallup.....that Moron Don managed to enter office with the LOWEST JOB APPROVAL on record for Gallup.  It was....in fact...45% (I said it was "about 47%....I was 2% too high).

He only has 23% to make up before he leaves office in 12+ months.  His pal Barry (Barrack also called Barry by his friends) was at 58% when he left office.  Trumps daily reading is at 35% (and falling).

Only 11% more to catch up with George who got down to 24%.  A year ago I would have said it would be tough for "The Moron" (as opposed to The Gipper) to get down to George's 24% reading.

Little did I know that he would spend 20% of his time on the golf course.....40% of his time watching TV.....20% of his time making ridiculous tweets.....10% of his time eating Big Macs....and 10% of his time working.

I think I underestimated just how horrible he could be.  He has managed to LIMBO UNDER the bar I set.....and it was already on the ground. 😳😳😳

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: December 11, 2017, 11:03:20 PM »
The fivethityeight link is below.  On fivethirtyeight Donnie was indeed at about 47% initially...and is now at 37.1 as I stated before.

Projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/

Either way.....Gallup or 538..... Donnie's ratings are heading south. 

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
« Reply #2057 on: December 11, 2017, 11:45:25 PM »
It will be interesting to eventually learn what information Mueller will be able to squeeze out of Bannon when he is finally ready to interview him:

Title: "As Russia probes progress, one name is missing: Bannon's"

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/11/bannon-trump-russia-probe-288862

Extract: "People close to the probe say the former campaign and White House strategist will be a key witness for prosecutors and Hill investigators."
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #2058 on: December 12, 2017, 02:18:22 AM »
Terry, Bill was governor of Arkansas, and “his wife” was a United States Senator, Secretary of State of the United States, and the Democratic nominee for President of the United States of America. 😁

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 120
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #2059 on: December 12, 2017, 05:00:57 AM »
This one fell through the cracks, but I think it is significant in an effort to resolve our disagreements.

I always deal in FACTS.  Facts and history can teach us A LOT.

You cannot know facts, because you are not God. So, what is even more important than facts, is context and a view of the world/life to fit the whole spectrum of possible facts/truths in.

We can know about the facts without being God.
1+1=2 is a fact.
Flynn pleaded guilty to one count of lying to the FBI, is a fact.
According to fivethirtyeight.com,
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings
Trump approval rating dropped from 45.5% at inauguration to 37.1 % today.
That is a fact also, no matter what Terry says.

Facts are true, and thus are still more important than "context and a view of the world/life to fit the whole spectrum of possible facts/truths in" in finding truth.

In fact, facts are the only things that separate the truth from propaganda.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 06:16:19 AM by Rob Dekker »
This is our planet. This is our time.
Let's not waste either.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: December 12, 2017, 05:10:09 AM »
Terry, Bill was governor of Arkansas, and “his wife” was a United States Senator, Secretary of State of the United States, and the Democratic nominee for President of the United States of America. 😁

How astute of you.

While Bill might not have been the proper spokesman to condemn the perhaps philandering Moore, our boy is still apparently 10 points up in the polls.
We'll know tomorrow whether our efforts were enough to keep Moore from winning the seat, or if distractions, perhaps distractions initiated by a former First Lady of Arkansas herself, allowed this race to slip from our grasp.
I'm unsure that this hasn't already been posted:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/dec/11/the-prospect-of-a-roy-moore-victory-should-make-your-stomach-churn-with-fear
but, the guardian considers this race to be a harbinger of just how bad things may have gotten in America.
Terry

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: December 12, 2017, 06:33:31 AM »

How astute of you.

While Bill might not have been the proper spokesman to condemn the perhaps philandering Moore, our boy is still apparently 10 points up in the polls.
We'll know tomorrow whether our efforts were enough to keep Moore from winning the seat, or if distractions, perhaps distractions initiated by a former First Lady of Arkansas herself, allowed this race to slip from our grasp.
I'm unsure that this hasn't already been posted:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/dec/11/the-prospect-of-a-roy-moore-victory-should-make-your-stomach-churn-with-fear
but, the guardian considers this race to be a harbinger of just how bad things may have gotten in America.
Terry

You really do let Hillary Clinton rent a lot of space in your head.  CDS of course is quite common among conspiracy theorists and those unhinged from fact.

Roy Moore is going to win because of the nature of the electorate in Alabama and the continued decay of the Republican and evangelical mindset.

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #2062 on: December 12, 2017, 06:34:08 AM »
"1+1=2 is a fact"

No. it's a construct based on non-factual assumptions, including the assumption that 1 = 1, which is only true in some unreal Euclidean world in which time is not a factor. The moment you say 1, before you get to = 1, what ever that first 1 was measuring has changed to more or less than one, however fractionally. So most basic math is a lie, arguably the most dangerous lie on the planet, since it applies to the world a template that can usabl-y control and destroy the world but does not accurately reflect the world.

Just a thought for your contemplation...
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: December 12, 2017, 07:05:11 AM »
"1+1=2 is a fact"

No. it's a construct based on non-factual assumptions, including the assumption that 1 = 1, which is only true in some unreal Euclidean world in which time is not a factor.

I have seen similar arguments while discussing radiative transfer theory with climate change deniers. It always gave me a good laugh.
So thank you for making my day a happy one ;D ;D
Let's not waste either.

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: December 12, 2017, 07:56:59 AM »
It seems that the American alt-right has unanimously decided that the Mueller investigation needs to be shut down.

Much more on this, and when did Trump know that Flynn lied to the FBI, why that implies obstruction of justice, who else in the Trump team (not just Flynn) are lying about Flynn's contacts with Russia, and why, in today's segment by Rachel Maddow, 6:30 - 21:00 in this video :

[edit] changed video to official MSNBC (old one no longer exists)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 08:58:29 PM by Rob Dekker »
Let's not waste either.

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: December 12, 2017, 08:45:51 AM »
Anyway, NBC News is reporting that Mueller is examining whether Trump himself directed Flynn to lie to the FBI about his contacts with Russia.

Very good quote, thank you Jim !

NYmag writes about this :
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/12/report-suggests-trump-told-michael-flynn-to-lie-to-the-fbi.html

But NBC is raising a different, and more serious, possibility: that Trump also instructed Flynn to lie to the FBI about his conversation. That scenario would explain a lot. It would explain why Flynn took not one but two gigantic legal risks. It would explain why the White House took so long so fire him, why Trump asked James Comey to let Flynn off the hook and then fired him when he failed to promise to do so, and why Trump continued to signal his affection for Flynn even afterward.

Considering that many Trump team members (including K.T. McFarland, Reince Priebus, Steve Bannon and Sean Spicer) and by extension Mike Pence, also knew about Flynn's contacts with the Russian ambassador, yet lied about it, suggests that the whole issue of lying about contacts with the Russians goes all the way to the top.

I think that is what eventually will kill this administration : It's not the 'crime' itself of colluding with the Russians. It's the cover-up and the lies that come with it.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 08:57:31 AM by Rob Dekker »
Let's not waste either.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: December 13, 2017, 04:08:53 PM »
Jim has assured us all that those crying Russia, Russia, Russia, are at the same time capable of walking while chewing gum.

No doubt these multitasking democrats have been writing articles, and responding to articles written in Alabama's leading newspapers. They will have donated heavily to Doug Jones campaign and either volunteered to drive voters to the polls, or have contributed gas money to the locals volunteering their vehicles and time.

By getting Jones elected, those multitasking Democrats have moved the US Senate one vote closer to removing Trump/Pence after January 2019 (if the mid-term elections go well)
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: December 13, 2017, 08:56:57 PM »
Like rats abandoning a sinking ship, Roger Stone and others are starting to throw The Donald under the bus:

Title: "Trump insider: 'It's painfully obvious Mueller will bring charges,' in explosive new report"

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/12/13/trump-insider-obvious-mueller-will-bring-charges/23306340/
― Leon C. Megginson

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: December 14, 2017, 12:23:04 PM »
As a poster above noted:

"It's not the 'crime' itself of colluding with the Russians. It's the cover-up and the lies that come with it."

This sounds very much as though the objective now appears to be an attempt to remove an elected president, not because of a real or imaginary conspiracy with a foreign entity during the election campaign, but rather because the President, or members of his "team", may have lied to an agent of an agency whose agenda is to protect the President.
It was Comey that brought down Martha Stewart for, as he said, "This criminal case is about lying. Lying to the FBI, Lying to the SEC, lying to investigators". The case is cited as an example of "Petty and Vindictive Prosecution" on Comey's part.

http://dailycaller.com/2016/07/06/comey-vindictive-in-prosecuting-martha-stewart-lets-clinton-slide/

Petty and vindictive.

CNN once again jumps the gun.

http://original.antiwar.com/justin/2017/12/10/the-enemy-within-2/

While the above notes the alarming willingness of other MSM brands to verify CNN's false narrative, it neglects to emphasize that this was not the first time that that CNN has strayed down similar paths.
As recently as June CNN suffered the resignations of 3 highly thought of journalists, when they were forced to retract a story linking Trump and Anthony Scaramucci to a Russian investment fund under congressional investigation.

The impartiality of the Special Prosecutor's own team is questioned by congress in this short clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DkrOjQ0lkI&feature=youtu.be

Perhaps the FBI's leadership feels that they owe the Clintons something in the wake of the Branch Davidian conflagration. I don't recall anyone losing as much as a day's pay over the killing of all of those kids. Perhaps I'm wrong, it's been a while.

Perhaps the investigators simply felt that Hillary would make a much better Commander in Chief than Donald?
As I understand it their loyalty is supposed to be to the office of the President, regardless of who holds that position.

Perhaps, like Caesar's wife, an FBI agent needs to be above any suspicion when investigating the executive branch.
Terry

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: December 14, 2017, 01:27:43 PM »
Life on Pluto must be great.  Much like life in Canada 🇨🇦 apparently.

There IS collusion...and it WILL be born out in Mueller's findings.  There IS conspiracy to commit a crime...and that too will come out in his findings.  There will be several other CRIMES committed as well....Donnie and company were "cultivated" several years before the election.

Obstruction of justice is just the MOST OBVIOUS crime.  People who continue to move the goal posts are now to the point where they have to admit there WAS communication between the Trump team and Russia.

The goal posts will continue to be moved over the coming year as more indictments become public...and as the trials start.  Manaforts trial is initially scheduled for May I believe.

If the facts are on your side....argue the facts.  If the law is on your side...argue the law.  If neither the law or the facts are on your side.... pound the table and scream.

You are now seeing the Republicans pound and scream.  When Robert Mueller was announced as the special prosecutor....both sides were happy as clams.  Now that indictments are starting to build up...some of the more outspoken Republicans are looking for reasons to eject Mueller.

Facts NEVER go away.  EVER.  And those facts will continue to be revealed.  A few of them...by investigative journalists.  But the huge majority of facts are still yet to come.  Until then...we are left with HUGE amounts of smoke....with some continuing to say "there is nothing there."

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2070 on: December 14, 2017, 01:38:58 PM »

BuddyNeither Canadians nor visitors from Pluto voted for Trump.
Terry

Jim Pettit

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #2071 on: December 14, 2017, 05:19:25 PM »
Jim has assured us all that those crying Russia, Russia, Russia, are at the same time capable of walking while chewing gum.

No doubt these multitasking democrats have been writing articles, and responding to articles written in Alabama's leading newspapers. They will have donated heavily to Doug Jones campaign and either volunteered to drive voters to the polls, or have contributed gas money to the locals volunteering their vehicles and time.

Indeed. And a winning strategy it thankfully was, Q.E.D.

Now I'll wait for Bitecofer's next column in which she explains just how she got this so very, very wrong. (Note to Bitecofer: maybe consider that endlessly blaming the Clintons for every political evil in the US over the past half-century really is just lazy pseudo-intellectual pandering to the Right, and start performing actual analysis; I think you'll be surprised what you find.)

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: December 14, 2017, 05:59:22 PM »
Now I'll wait for Bitecofer's next column in which she explains just how she got this so very, very wrong. (Note to Bitecofer: maybe consider that endlessly blaming the Clintons for every political evil in the US over the past half-century really is just lazy pseudo-intellectual pandering to the Right, and start performing actual analysis; I think you'll be surprised what you find.)

Here is some analysis (that Bitecofer could reference) that point to a Democratic upswing in 2018:

Title: "Special Elections So Far Point To A Democratic Wave In 2018"

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/special-elections-so-far-point-to-a-democratic-wave-in-2018/

And don't forget the growing influence of minority and women's voting (see that attached image of the breakdown of votes for Doug Jones)
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: December 14, 2017, 11:59:43 PM »
The linked Newsweek article raises a good question:

Title: "Will Mike Pence Be Impeached or Resign Amid Russia Probe on Trump?"

http://www.newsweek.com/will-mike-pence-be-impeached-or-resign-amid-russia-probe-trump-740623
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: December 15, 2017, 12:19:23 AM »
I would put the chances of Trump making a move....SEVERAL MOVES.....in the DOJ before the end of January at 75% or more.  He/they need to get rid of his investigation.  And that goes through Mueller.

Getting too close.... And Vladi knows it's getting too close as well. 😳

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #2075 on: December 15, 2017, 12:53:22 AM »
Seth Abramson tweeted:

“(THREAD) It turns out 24 paragraphs detailing 24 discrete Trump-Russia ties isn't enough to encompass how entwined Trump is with Russia, so in this thread—Part 2 in the series—I offer 23 more connections. A link to Part 1 is in the first tweet, below.

Hope you'll read and share.”

https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/941376110381731841

(THREAD) From Russian payments to Trump advisors to failing to register as foreign agents working for Putin allies—from perjury to illegal solicitation of campaign donations from the Kremlin—here's a non-exhaustive summary of known Trump-Russia ties. ...
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: December 15, 2017, 02:09:29 AM »
Some items to "stick a pin in and tax to the wall:

1). Forces on the right have been "softening up" Mueller to be forced out if Donnie chooses to go down that road.

2). Lindsay Graham has sold his soul....and is more than happy to support Trump going into North Korea.  He has been PUBLICLY supporting Trump if he wants to make a PRE-EMPTIVE attack.

3).  Winter Olympics are February 9 - 24th I believe.  Yes...that would be a consideration for timing.

4).  Don't forget.....Donnie IS a sociopath...and EVERYTHING is on the table.  EVERYTHING.  He is concerned with saving DONNIES ASS at any price.

5). I can imagine a scenario where Trump uses a combination of war with Korea or Iran as a pretext to call off the RussiaGate investigations either temporarily OR permanently.

Donnie is in bed with Putin....

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: December 15, 2017, 04:30:11 AM »
I would put the chances of Trump making a move....SEVERAL MOVES.....in the DOJ before the end of January at 75% or more.  He/they need to get rid of his investigation.  And that goes through Mueller.

Getting too close.... And Vladi knows it's getting too close as well. 😳

Closer to 100%, and perhaps by year end.  Mueller will likely serve at least one more indictment or announce an additional plea deal very soon.

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: December 15, 2017, 10:09:11 AM »
Seth Abramson tweeted:

“(THREAD) It turns out 24 paragraphs detailing 24 discrete Trump-Russia ties isn't enough to encompass how entwined Trump is with Russia, so in this thread—Part 2 in the series—I offer 23 more connections. A link to Part 1 is in the first tweet, below.

(THREAD) From Russian payments to Trump advisors to failing to register as foreign agents working for Putin allies—from perjury to illegal solicitation of campaign donations from the Kremlin—here's a non-exhaustive summary of known Trump-Russia ties. ...

These 47 Trump-Russia ties by Seth Abramson are truly shocking.
I really don't understand that there are still people around who don't think there was any collusion between Trump (campaign) and Russia.
It's right there. In your face.
Let's not waste either.

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: December 15, 2017, 10:23:52 AM »
Let's not waste either.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: December 15, 2017, 06:28:34 PM »
Murdoch's tool the WSJ has reported that several months ago Mueller asked Cambridge Analytica to turn over employee emails and according of other sources Cambridge Analytica complied long ago.  This may mean that Mueller has had a roadmap for collusion between WikiLeaks, Russia and the Trump Campaign for some time now.  No wonder Murdoch is selling so much of his empire to Disney, the Paul Ryan will not run in 2018 and that the Senate Judiciary Committee is hot on investigating both Trump's and Pence's roles in Russiagate:

Title: "Mueller Sought Emails of Trump Campaign Data Firm"

https://www.wsj.com/articles/mueller-sought-emails-of-trump-campaign-data-firm-1513296899

Extract: "Special counsel asked Cambridge Analytica to hand over employees’ emails, in sign of investigators’ interest in campaign data operation"

See also:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-mueller-cambridge-analytica-firm-brexit-president-election-campaign-russia-probe-latest-a8112136.html

― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: December 15, 2017, 07:50:10 PM »
The House intelligence committee interviewed Cambridge Analytical CEO Alexander Nix by Skype yesterday about possible Russiagate collusion:

Title: "House committee questions head of Trump campaign data firm: sources"

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-russia-emails/house-committee-questions-head-of-trump-campaign-data-firm-sources-idUSKBN1E903N

― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: December 15, 2017, 08:47:52 PM »
As Mueller has interviewed everyone around Bannon (but not yet Bannon himself), so that he can easily catch Bannon in any lies that he might tell the FBI; maybe Bannon will be the next person that Mueller arrests (to either cut a plea bargain deal or to face prosecution) on his way up the food chain to the big boys (i.e. Trump/Pence).
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 08:54:18 PM by AbruptSLR »
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: December 15, 2017, 09:34:19 PM »
As a follow-on to my last post, maybe Bannon has seen the writing on the wall & is trying to get Mueller before Mueller can get to him:

Title: "Bannon Affiliated Group Launches Attack Ads on Robert Mueller"

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2017/12/bannon-affiliated-dark-money-group-launches-attack-ads-on-robert-mueller.html

Extract: "A super PAC affiliated with Steve Bannon has launched an ad campaign to discredit the Robert Mueller investigation and get multiple members of his team fired, Think Progress reported on Thursday."

See also:

https://thinkprogress.org/trump-pac-mueller-2e51b395d246/
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: December 15, 2017, 10:31:05 PM »
Bannon wants to "rip it all down".  Those are his very words.  And now we have someone in the Oval Office who thought he could somehow get away with stealing the office.

Much like I described shortly after his election.... Trump was an athlete that NEVER would have won the Tour De France without performance enhancing drugs.  Trump was going to do ANYTHING to win...and then figure how to get out of it LATER.

Combine Bannon, who wants to rip everything down....with Trump, who now NEEDS everything ripped down (FBI....CIA.....the press....the Democrats)....and we have a TOXIC mixture that will only get worse.

And combine those two....with many in Congress....and we have all the makings of a NASASTY constitutional test or two...or three.  We will likely have 2 or 3 constitutional tests in the Supreme Court.

We have a president that is in cahoots with Putin...and many around him know about it.  We have NEVER been through anything like this...EVER.

If it wasn't for the FBI we would be in even BIGGER trouble if that is possible.  Donnie has to save his ass....and he will do anything.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 02:44:29 AM by Buddy »

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2085 on: December 15, 2017, 10:33:20 PM »
As a follow-on to my last two posts, perhaps smelling blood in the water, the GOP Establishment has declared 'Open Season' on Bannon.

Title: "G.O.P. Establishment Declares Open Season on a Weakened Bannon"

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/15/us/politics/republican-establishment-steve-bannon-trump-alabama.html
― Leon C. Megginson

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: December 15, 2017, 11:27:59 PM »
Slightly off topic.

TwitterGate re. Brexit. Twitter has exposed the Russian ads run during the Brexit campaign.
We're reprinting all of them here.

https://www.rt.com/uk/413249-big-reveal-twitter-lists-just/

Included at no additional charge is the revelation that during this same period Facebook reports that ads linked to the Russian "Internet Research Agency" were purchased. These ads combined set the Russian Oligarchs back a total of 97 cents.

It's no wonder that when foreigners, especially Slavic Foreigners, attack the pillars of our partners democratic institutions by cavalierly throwing these vast sums of cash against them, that these institutions are brought to their knees.

I'd advise us to pray for guidance, except those Ruskies are now praying to the same god, our god, goddamn it!
I'd advise beating them at their own game. We could have flown our beloved president to England and had him lecture, hector, even threaten the Brits to stay in Europe. I'd advise this, except it's what we did, and the stupid Brits still voted against our wishes.

There is an election coming up in Russia.
What we have to do is select a Russian Reality TV Star, have secret meetings with his stooges, have him hire some hookers to pee in Putin's bed, then use Twitter and Facebook to destroy Putin's image so that our boy wins.
This is a campaign worth pursuing. This can be done.
Hurray for our side!
Terry

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: December 16, 2017, 12:03:03 AM »
I'd advise beating them at their own game. We could have flown our beloved president to England and had him lecture, hector, even threaten the Brits to stay in Europe. I'd advise this, except it's what we did, and the stupid Brits still voted against our wishes.

This linked 2016 article reminds us that candidate Trump promoted Brexit.  Maybe Putin ordered Trump to the UK to bamboozle the Brits into ignoring Obama's advice.

Title: "Trump camp supports Britain leaving EU, citing America's ‘own little Brexit’"

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jun/21/donald-trump-brexit-eu-referendum-scotland-visit

Extract: "Donald Trump’s campaign has renewed his support for the United Kingdom leaving the European Union, stating “America is here because of its own little Brexit”."
― Leon C. Megginson

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: December 16, 2017, 07:53:34 AM »
Now that Mueller is closing in on the inner Trump circle, including Steve Bannon :
http://www.newsweek.com/mueller-bannon-witness-trump-target-744358

we see that Bannon is striking back with attack ads, funded by dark money :
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2017/12/bannon-affiliated-dark-money-group-launches-attack-ads-on-robert-mueller.html

It's time to drain the Trump swamp :
Get these alt-rights guys OUT of our government and INTO jail.

Let's not waste either.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: December 16, 2017, 08:54:55 PM »
With Mueller first round of WH interviews almost over, Trump's lawyer's will likely meet with Mueller next week to see what the next round of interviews closer to Trump/Pence (Don Jr., Jared again but with feeling, Bannon, etc.) means about the presidency.  This could be a turning point depending on how close Mueller is to his next round of indictments and interviews:

Title: "Trump Lawyers Will Meet Mueller as Early as Next Week"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-12-15/trump-lawyers-are-said-to-meet-mueller-as-early-as-next-week

Extract: "President Donald Trump’s private lawyers are set to meet with Special Counsel Robert Mueller as early as next week to discuss the next phases of his Russia investigation, according to a person familiar with the matter.
A U.S. official said it’s possible that Mueller’s team of more than two dozen prosecutors and FBI agents will complete an opening round of interviews with key Trump aides who worked in the White House by the end of the year, but additional interviews could be scheduled later."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: December 17, 2017, 01:31:20 AM »
It looks like Trump is trying to provide justification for firing Mueller during the Christmas break:

Title: "Trump lawyer says Mueller obtained transition emails illegally"

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/365278-trump-lawyer-says-mueller-obtained-transition-emails-illegally
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: December 17, 2017, 01:52:40 AM »
Per the linked Axios article Mueller obtained the emails in question from the GSA:

Title: "Scoop: Mueller obtains "tens of thousands” of Trump transition emails"

https://www.axios.com/scoop-mueller-obtains-tens-of-thousands-of-trump-transition-emails-2517994590.html

Extract: "“Mueller is using the emails to confirm things, and get new leads," a transition source told me.

How it happened: The sources say Mueller obtained the emails from the General Services Administration, the government agency that hosted the transition email system, which had addresses ending in “ptt.gov," for Presidential Transition Team.

Taking fight public: Charging "unlawful conduct," Kory Langhofer, counsel for the transition team, wrote in a letter to congressional committees Saturday that "career staff at the General Services Administration ... have unlawfully produced [transition team] private materials, including privileged communications, to the Special Counsel's Office.""

See also:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trump-transition-emails-latest-robert-mueller-obtain-russia-investigation-a8114936.html
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 02:22:39 AM by AbruptSLR »
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: December 17, 2017, 03:20:12 AM »
The email from KT McFarland cited in the linked article was certainly included in the thousands of emails that Mueller obtained from the GSA sometime ago:

Title: "Top Trump transition official in private email: Russia 'has just thrown' the election to Trump"

http://www.businessinsider.com/emails-kt-mcfarland-russia-thrown-election-to-trump-flynn-2017-12?_ga=2.219830746.253131860.1513476233-42589619.1513476233

Extract: "A senior member of President Donald Trump's transition team said in email to a colleague on December 29, 2016, shortly after the Obama administration had imposed new sanctions on Russia, that the transition team should try to reassure the country that had just "thrown" the election to Trump.

The transition official, KT McFarland, told the unnamed colleague in the email obtained by the New York Times that the sanctions were aimed at delegitimizing Trump's election victory."
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: December 17, 2017, 12:53:57 PM »
It was obvious AT THE TIME when Rudy Guiliani was talking about "we're working on a couple of things"....but for those that missed it, Seth Abramson has layed out in his Twitter feed why Rudy Guiliani and Jeanine Pirro should be very worried about any investigation into "FBI bias".

Let's see what happens over the next few days....as Democrats push the Guiliani/Pirro interference with the FBI leading up to the election.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 05:21:26 AM by Buddy »

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: December 17, 2017, 04:11:41 PM »
It looks like Trump is trying to provide justification for firing Mueller during the Christmas break:

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/365278-trump-lawyer-says-mueller-obtained-transition-emails-illegally

Perhaps I over-reacted about a possible firing of Mueller over the Christmas break, using the GSA emails (given to Mueller in September 2017) as a pretext; as the following article says that the Trump Transition team "... officials signed agreements that warn them that materials kept on the government servers are subject to monitoring and auditing, he told Buzzfeed, and there's no expectation of privacy."

Title: "Special counsel obtains thousands of Trump transition emails"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/special-counsel-obtains-thousands-of-trump-transition-emails/ar-BBGP5Zo?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

Extract: "Late Saturday, Mueller's spokesman, Peter Carr, said the special counsel's office has followed the law when it has obtained documents during its investigation.

When we have obtained emails in the course of our ongoing criminal investigation, we have secured either the account owner’s consent or appropriate criminal process"
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 10:58:46 PM by AbruptSLR »
― Leon C. Megginson

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2095 on: December 17, 2017, 10:09:09 PM »
Well, hullo there. House comittee gets around to Rhona Graff. She is possibly more important than Felix Sater.

Wonder if Mueller has got around to Graff yet, i think he has already interrogated Sater.

Sater and Page are intelligence and law enforcement assets going back a long time, both have cooperated in the past with law enforcement/intelligence agencies. But Graff now, she knows everyone that Trump talked to for decade or more and a great deal of what they talked about.

http://www.newsweek.com/republicans-refuse-continue-trump-investigation-wont-name-new-witnesses-probe-750766

sidd

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: December 17, 2017, 11:50:59 PM »
Regarding the relentless right-wing media attacks on the Mueller investigation, CNN just posted a statement which is clearly true and exposes a dangerous fragility at the same time :

Mueller is hamstrung in his ability to respond. If he is too aggressive in attempting to fight back against these political attacks, he opens himself up to charges of being "too political." If he is too quiet, Trump's team will destroy his credibility by Christmas.

In contrast, Trump and his team can basically throw the kitchen sink at him without any restraint. Trump has Twitter, the conservative media, his congressional allies and an army of political surrogates who all will help him in this goal.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/17/opinions/mueller-investigation-attack-opinion-zelizer/index.html

As I stated before, the Mueller investigation is what separates our democracy from autocracies like Russia. Independent investigation to hold those in power accountable is critical to a functioning democracy.

Mueller's approval rating is still much better than Trump's, but right-wing media are throwing everything they got at Mueller to change that. Including that proverbial kitchen sink.
Let's not waste either.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: December 18, 2017, 02:33:50 AM »
Regarding the relentless right-wing media attacks on the Mueller investigation, CNN just posted a statement which is clearly true and exposes a dangerous fragility at the same time :

If the GSA released Trump Transition Team emails have provided sufficient evidence to obtain more sealed indictments (on higher-ups on the Transition Team headed by Pence), then the WH maybe hamstrung in their ability to stop Mueller, because he could file any such sealed indictments faster than they could shut him down.
― Leon C. Megginson

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: December 18, 2017, 06:40:19 AM »
Just in case anyone was not convinced that Jimmy Dore is a right-winger in left-winger clothes, please watch his latest video on youtube (DbYNKvsIKDo) (the "Russiagate Has Failed!" episode)

There he promotes EXACTLY the Fox News/Trump talking points against the Mueller investigation, and MSM (CNN and MSNBC (Rachel Maddow specifically)), and attacking Clinton, and discarding Russia's meddling in our election, and stating that he "only reports the facts" while in fact he only reports opinions, ignoring all the facts and the evidence we already have, and claiming that Mueller can't prove obstruction of justice because Trump is ignorant, and that Trump laundering Russian money is OK, because Clinton took a $500k speech in Russia, and that we should all just move on.

Seriously folks, it looks like either the political spectrum is a circle and extreme-right and extreme-left are connected, or Jimmy Dore is really a right-winger in left-winger clothes.

Why can't these extremists (both left and right) just let Mueller do his job, and wait for his report ?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 09:41:56 AM by Rob Dekker »
Let's not waste either.

Martin Gisser

« Reply #2099 on: December 18, 2017, 05:01:48 PM »
Seth Abramson tweeted:

These 47 Trump-Russia ties by Seth Abramson are truly shocking.
I really don't understand that there are still people around who don't think there was any collusion between Trump (campaign) and Russia.
It's right there. In your face.

Another summary:
http://billmoyers.com/story/trump-russia-timeline/
Interactive Timeline: Everything We Know About Russia and President Trump
Explore our updated, comprehensive Trump-Russia Timeline — or select one of the central players in the Trump-Russia saga to see what we know about them.