Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Russiagate conspiracy theory  (Read 1120281 times)

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: Russiagate
« Reply #2600 on: February 06, 2018, 08:23:31 PM »
Something tells me that Traitor Donnie is going to be sorry he brought up TREASON....

FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
« Reply #2601 on: February 06, 2018, 09:31:45 PM »
Something tells me that Traitor Donnie is going to be sorry he brought up TREASON....

Cadet Bone Spurs needs to be taught in November that it is a bad idea (joking or not) to call the Democrats treasonous:

Title: "Trump was 'joking' when he accused Democrats of treason, White House says"

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/06/politics/treason-donald-trump-joking/index.html

Extract: "The spin on the controversial comments fits a pattern: Trump -- as president or candidate -- says something that causes controversy and the people around him look to calm the brouhaha by claiming Trump was joking and the media needs to get a better sense of humor.

Sen. Tammy Duckworth, who served in the Iraq War, tweeted that she swore an oath to "to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States, not to mindlessly cater to the whims of Cadet Bone Spurs and clap when he demands I clap."

The comment refers to Trump receiving a draft deferment for bone spurs in his foot during the Vietnam War."
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: February 06, 2018, 09:50:05 PM »

Cadet Bone Spurs needs to be taught in November that it is a bad idea (joking or not) to call the Democrats treasonous:

If the blue wave comes in November, then in January 2019, I hope that the Congressional Democrats remember Cadet Bone Spurs' remarks if/when Mueller's report recommends that Trump be tried in the Senate for 'treasonous acts' and 'conspiracy against the United States".

Title: "Donald Trump Cracks the Seal on Talk of Treason"

https://www.thedailybeast.com/donald-trump-cracks-the-seal-on-talk-of-treason

“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2603 on: February 06, 2018, 10:08:03 PM »

Title: "Trump was 'joking' when he accused Democrats of treason, White House says"

Extract: "The spin on the controversial comments fits a pattern: Trump -- as president or candidate -- says something that causes controversy and the people around him look to calm the brouhaha by claiming Trump was joking and the media needs to get a better sense of humor.

Sen. Tammy Duckworth, who served in the Iraq War, tweeted that she swore an oath to "to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States, not to mindlessly cater to the whims of Cadet Bone Spurs and clap when he demands I clap."

The comment refers to Trump receiving a draft deferment for bone spurs in his foot during the Vietnam War."

Just how many US presidents did go to war in Vietnam??

The idiocy of equating being involved in that utter cluster f**k with anything worthwhile is cringeworthy.
If you're too damn young to remember, then watch "Hearts and Minds", or some other documentary that shows the depravity of that indelible stain on America's conscience.

To mindlessly repeat this war glorifying trash borders on the criminal.
Terry
Hey hey LBJ, How many kids did you kill today.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2604 on: February 06, 2018, 10:10:20 PM »
My conjecture was incorrect that the Nunes memo was connected to McCabe resignation. Apparently the reason was the OIG inquiry.

http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/372457-ig-poised-to-reignite-war-over-fbis-clinton-case

"Horowitz’s probe has become all the more relevant in light of McCabe’s decision to step down last week. According to The New York Times, Christopher Wray, whom Trump installed as FBI director last year after Comey’s ouster, had raised concerns about details of the forthcoming inspector general report that led him to propose that McCabe be demoted.

The Washington Post subsequently reported that Horowitz is examining why McCabe seemingly did not move forward for several weeks on a request to examine new emails in the Clinton investigation that were found on former congressman Anthony Weiner’s (D-N.Y.) computer."

sidd

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: February 06, 2018, 11:43:27 PM »
As both Nunes and Trump appear to be engaging in a smear campaign against both the Steele dossier and the Shearer memo, I might as well point out that per the linked article on the night of the 2013 Pee-Pee tape Trump allegedly propositioned the former Miss Hungary (Kata Sarka) back to his Ritz-Carlton Moscow bedroom.  Subsequently, Trump said that the Pee-Pee tape could not be real because he new that his room might be monitored by a camera; but if that is the case, why was he inviting Kata Sarka to spend the night with him in his hotel room?

Title: "Allegations By Former Miss Hungary Contradict Trump Claims On Dossier"

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/allegations-by-former-miss-hungary-contradict-trump_us_587e91b9e4b06a0baf649129

Extract: " As first reported last Friday, Sarka, who participated in the 2013 Miss Universe pageant in Moscow, in May told Hungarian talk-show host Kasza Tibor that during a pageant after-party Trump gave her his business card, private telephone number, and hotel room number. Sarka has since shared the business card—which she kept, though she never went to Mr. Trump’s hotel room—with the media. The implication taken by Sarka at the time she received the card was that she was being propositioned for a romantic liaison with Trump, who was then married to current wife Melania.

The fact that Sarka told her story many months before Buzzfeed published the Steele memos lends credence to her story, and defuses any claim that the model is seeking publicity relating to the current Trump-Putin controversy.

As Trump said of the Ritz-Carlton allegation during the press conference,

When I leave our country....I am extremely careful. I’m surrounded by bodyguards. I’m surrounded by people. And I always tell them—anywhere—but I always tell them, if I’m leaving this country, ‘Be very careful because in your hotel rooms—and no matter where you go—they’re going to probably have cameras.’ I’m not referring just to Russia, but I would certainly put them in that category. ‘And number one, I hope you’re going to be good anyway, but in those rooms you have cameras in the strangest places. Cameras that are so small, with modern technology, you can’t see them and you won’t know. You better be careful, or you’ll be watching yourself on nightly television.’ I tell this to people all the time. I was in Russia, years ago, with the Miss Universe contest, which did very well—Moscow, Moscow area. Did very, very well. And I told many people, ‘Be careful, because you don’t want to see yourself on television. Cameras all over the place.’ And again, not just Russia, all over. Does anyone really believe that story? (Emphasis supplied.)

According to Sarka, no precautions were suggested or taken by Trump in asking that a Miss Universe contestant come alone to his hotel room after hours—despite the fact that Trump was married at the time and, by his own admission, believed his hotel room at the Ritz-Carlton had likely been bugged by Russian intelligence."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: February 06, 2018, 11:54:53 PM »

While John Kerry did not win in 2004, he did serve in Vietnam, and he may run for president in 2020 if need be in order to unseat The Donald:

Title: "John Kerry considering presidential run in 2020: report"

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/370629-john-kerry-considering-presidential-run-in-2020-report

Extract: "According to the report, Kerry told Palestinian officials that he was strongly considering a run in 2020 and hinted that Trump will likely not be in office much longer in strongly worded conversation Wednesday."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: February 07, 2018, 12:38:10 AM »
My conjecture was incorrect that the Nunes memo was connected to McCabe resignation. Apparently the reason was the OIG inquiry.

http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/372457-ig-poised-to-reignite-war-over-fbis-clinton-case

"Horowitz’s probe has become all the more relevant in light of McCabe’s decision to step down last week. According to The New York Times, Christopher Wray, whom Trump installed as FBI director last year after Comey’s ouster, had raised concerns about details of the forthcoming inspector general report that led him to propose that McCabe be demoted.

The Washington Post subsequently reported that Horowitz is examining why McCabe seemingly did not move forward for several weeks on a request to examine new emails in the Clinton investigation that were found on former congressman Anthony Weiner’s (D-N.Y.) computer."

sidd

Here is a letter from democrats of the House Judiciary Committee that raise a lot of questions about Team Trump behavior on this matter:

https://democrats-judiciary.house.gov/sites/democrats.judiciary.house.gov/files/documents/Letter%20to%20AG%20and%20DAG%20-%20Dec%2011.pdf
― Leon C. Megginson

ritter

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
« Reply #2608 on: February 07, 2018, 01:23:38 AM »

Accusations of treason are deadly serious. It's not something to be joked about. So, either he's an idiot or he's an idiot with a really poor sense of humor.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: February 07, 2018, 01:46:11 AM »

While John Kerry did not win in 2004, he did serve in Vietnam, and he may run for president in 2020 if need be in order to unseat The Donald:

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/370629-john-kerry-considering-presidential-run-in-2020-report

Extract: "According to the report, Kerry told Palestinian officials that he was strongly considering a run in 2020 and hinted that Trump will likely not be in office much longer in strongly worded conversation Wednesday."

Soooo Your answer is none. NO AMERICAN PRESIDENT EVER SERVED IN VIETNAM!

Can you explain then why you see fit to ridicule the sitting president for avoiding Vietnam, just as every other president has done?

Kerry, who is 3 years OLDER THAN TRUMP, will be 77 by 2020 and isn't a serious contender for the presidency. He joined the Naval Reserve, but still had to serve 4 months in Vietnam. Upon returning he joined Vietnam Veterans Against the War, hardly pro Vietnam War advocates.

The whole Gish Gallop offense is offensive.
Terry

Vietnam wasn't a "mistake", it was a disaster of epic proportions.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2610 on: February 07, 2018, 02:46:43 AM »
Can you explain then why you see fit to ridicule the sitting president for avoiding Vietnam, just as every other president has done?

I ridicule a sitting president for his treasonous behavior with regard to Russia, and because he is a con artist who just fabricated the bone spur excuse (note his recent medical examine made no note of any such pre-existing condition); and he is now conning the rest of the GOP, the public and the world.
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: February 07, 2018, 03:13:50 AM »
Here is just one example that Trump is a con artist:

Title: "What We Did Was a Scam': The Apprentice Creators Give Behind the Scenes Reveal of Trump's Show"

http://people.com/politics/apprentice-creators-donald-trump-scam/

Extract: "In the recently released Netflix documentary The Confidence Man, two creators of The Apprentice discuss creating the “character” of Donald Trump as a billionaire business tycoon.

“What we did, that was a scam,” says producer Bill Pruitt. “That was an entertainment.”

Pruitt describes Trump’s real office within New York’s Trump Tower as dated, so the show built the boardroom where Trump uttered the now famous line “You’re Fired!” The famous boardroom was a set based on the classy, high-powered office portrayed in the movie Network."
― Leon C. Megginson

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: February 07, 2018, 03:33:44 AM »

I ridicule a sitting president for his treasonous behavior with regard to Russia, and because he is a con artist who just fabricated the bone spur excuse (note his recent medical examine made no note of any such pre-existing condition); and he is now conning the rest of the GOP, the public and the world.
B.S.
Do you honestly believe that the induction centers accepted such excuses when a simple x-ray would prove them wrong?
Do you believe that anyone could believe such an obvious bunch of B.S.?
Who are you attempting to con?

Did you actually believe "The Apprentice" was a documentary? Of course the program was filmed on a set.

Trump escaped Vietnam. So did every other president.
Good for them all!
Terry

I'd never vote for anyone who wasn't bright enough to have escaped the draft.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: February 07, 2018, 05:25:50 AM »
"Here is a letter from democrats of the House Judiciary Committee that raise a lot of questions about Team Trump behavior on this matter"

Do they reference the OIG inquiry ? I see no mention of that, but they are going over some of the same ground. The OIG inquiry is supposed to be about FBI handling of Clinton investigation, but Horowitz can go after pretty much anything. Sorta like Mueller. As far as the OIG goes, I wonder if Wray knows something in there that nails McCabe, hence him forcing McCabe to resign. I suppose he has access to the material that Horowitz(IG) has, but i could be wrong on the McCabe connection.

sidd

« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 05:42:50 AM by sidd »

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 120
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #2614 on: February 07, 2018, 10:04:07 AM »
B.S.
Do you honestly believe that the induction centers accepted such excuses when a simple x-ray would prove them wrong?

OK. Let's start with the basics : In which foot did Trump have bone spurs, Terry ?
This is our planet. This is our time.
Let's not waste either.

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #2615 on: February 07, 2018, 12:31:50 PM »
ASLR, have you seen the episode of the documentary series 'Dirty Money' on Trump called 'CONfidence Man'?

Also, I found this WaPo headline...interesting:

More Russians are sure of the U.S. meddling in their politics than the other way around, poll finds
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 02:19:34 PM by wili »
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: February 07, 2018, 03:46:06 PM »
B.S.

Trump has said publically that his heel spur was a temporary condition, so no one can prove one way or the other now.  But the first linked article indicates that McCain thinks that during Vietnam America drafted the poorest, "and the highest income level found a doctor that would say they had a bone spur".

https://www.snopes.com/2017/10/23/mccain-issues-veiled-criticism-trumps-vietnam-deferment/

However, you seem to prefer to focus on a relatively minor issue when my main point was that Trump is not only a con artist but also a hypocrite when he calls the congressional democrats behavior treasonous when they did not adequately applaud his State of the Union speech.

Your main point seem to me to be that Trump is correct when he indicates that 'everyone one is dirty' so he should be free to be as treasonous as he wants.  To me that is just like denialists saying that because people fart we shouldn't be concerned about methane emissions from 'Big Agriculture'.

We should not be saying that until everyone is perfect we cannot work to make things better (say by building a blue wave that gets Trump out of office); rather we should focus on better understanding what we know and what we don't know so that we can progressively make things better, while embracing uncertainty.  In this regards I provide the second link to an article about world poker champion Annie Duke and her new book: "Thinking in Bets: Making Smarter Decisions When You Don't Have All the Facts".

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/05/poker-champ-annie-duke-on-how-to-make-decisions-in-uncertain-times.html

― Leon C. Megginson

Jim Pettit

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #2617 on: February 07, 2018, 05:49:12 PM »

Soooo Your answer is none. NO AMERICAN PRESIDENT EVER SERVED IN VIETNAM!

Kerry, who is 3 years OLDER THAN TRUMP, will be 77 by 2020 and isn't a serious contender for the presidency. He joined the Naval Reserve, but still had to serve 4 months in Vietnam. Upon returning he joined Vietnam Veterans Against the War, hardly pro Vietnam War advocates.

The whole Gish Gallop offense is offensive.
Terry

Vietnam wasn't a "mistake", it was a disaster of epic proportions.

Sort of a silly premise.

Every president up to and including Bush Senior was too old to serve in or during Vietnam. That leaves just Clinton, Bush Junior, Obama, and Trump.

Obama was too young to have served in Vietnam. That leaves just Clinton, Bush Junior, and Trump.

Clinton joined JROTC, then withdrew and joined the draft. He received a high Selective Service number--as did hundreds of thousands of other young men, including a brother and a cousin--and was thus never drafted. That leaves Bush Junior and Trump.

Bush Junior served stateside as a pilot during the war. That leaves just Trump.

Trump received five draft deferments to keep from serving: four for college, and another for his oh-so-debilitating bone spurs, which miraculously heeled themselves shortly after the war.

Bottom line, then: shouting NO AMERICAN PRESIDENT EVER SERVED IN VIETNAM! is misleading and inaccurate. It'd be more accurate and honest to say: of the three past and current US Presidents who were of combat age during the Vietnam War, one was not drafted, and another served in the Guard. Only one was drafted and refused to go, using multiple draft deferments to avoiding doing so. And that was one Donald J. Trump.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: February 07, 2018, 07:47:04 PM »
The OIG inquiry is supposed to be about FBI handling of Clinton investigation, but Horowitz can go after pretty much anything. Sorta like Mueller. As far as the OIG goes, I wonder if Wray knows something in there that nails McCabe, hence him forcing McCabe to resign. I suppose he has access to the material that Horowitz(IG) has, but i could be wrong on the McCabe connection.

sidd

You seem to assume that Horowitz's investigation will uncover FBI bias in favor of Clinton, while I assume that any fair investigation will uncover FBI bias in favor of Trump.
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: February 07, 2018, 10:32:07 PM »
Former AG Holder thinks that Mueller can indict Trump, so it will be interesting to see what actually plays-out:

Title: "Former AG Holder says Mueller could prosecute Trump for obstruction"

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/07/trump-obstruction-mueller-holder-397411

Extract: "Some Trump allies and legal experts say the law prevents the president from being charged with such a crime. Others believe he cannot be indicted at all.

Holder disagreed, saying a sitting president is not above the law, based on a legal examination of the issue that was done when he was the deputy attorney general under Clinton.

But the ex-AG emphasized that he thought prosecutors would want to gather as much evidence as possible, especially in going after a sitting president."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: February 08, 2018, 12:08:55 AM »
As the Russians penetrated U.S. voter registration rolls of several states prior to the 2016 election, I imagine that they probably changed some data (most likely in Trump's favor) while they were there:

Title: " Russians penetrated U.S. voter systems, says top U.S. official"

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/elections/russians-penetrated-u-s-voter-systems-says-top-u-s-n845721?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

Extract: "The U.S. official in charge of protecting American elections from hacking says the Russians successfully penetrated the voter registration rolls of several U.S. states prior to the 2016 presidential election."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: February 08, 2018, 12:20:57 AM »
The linked analysis raises many issues about the Grassley-Graham Letter's criticism of the Carter Page FISA application and concludes that we need to see the democrat's response to the Nunes memo in order to maintain a more balanced perspective:

Title: "Dissecting the Grassley-Graham Letter’s Criticisms of the Carter Page FISA Application"

https://www.justsecurity.org/51956/dissecting-grassley-graham-letter-criticisms-carter-page-fisa-application/

Extract: "The document raises doubt about whether the FBI properly sought a FISA application against Page, but the letter conspicuously does not make the claim that the application was unfounded or that an innocent American was wrongfully surveilled. That may be the wisest choice, since there is an avalanche of information, in the public record alone, of Page’s involvement with the Kremlin and Russian spies, plus his highly suspicious denials of meetings with Russians. Several of those denials have since been disproven, even by Page himself. He is not exactly the poster child you want on your side of a political or legal argument.

What’s more, like the Nunes memo, the Grassley-Graham letter omits the significance of several judges’ approving subsequent renewals of the Page warrant, each time on a separate finding of probable cause, with the Steele dossier likely assuming less significance each time. Plus, each of those judges presumably relied on the FBI showing that the surveillance was yielding productive information as the Bureau had told each judge it would.

One more point about keeping sight of the forest: Graham, as well as Rep. Trey Gowdy (R.-S.C.) and other Republican members of the House Intelligence Committee who voted to release the Nunes memo, have explicitly stated that their concerns about the FISA application for Page should not be used to undermine the Mueller investigation.

With the release of the Graham-Grassley letter, it is now more important than ever that the Democrats’ “counter-memo,”, written by the minority members of the House Intelligence Committee, be viewed by the public with as few redactions as possible. A fuller picture of the facts about whether the FBI had probable cause to spy on Page is needed to finally put these memos to bed."
― Leon C. Megginson

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: February 08, 2018, 02:24:25 AM »
"You seem to assume that Horowitz's investigation will uncover FBI bias in favor of Clinton ..."

Not at all. My exact words, which you quoted were:

" ... I wonder if Wray knows something in there that nails McCabe, hence him forcing McCabe to resign."

1) the first three words in no way enjoin an assumption
2) the phrase "something in there that nails McCabe" implies nothing about what that "something" might be.

So let me spell it out again. Wray at first resisted attempts to have McCabe step down. Then he changed his mind. I speculated then that viewing the Nunes memo had changed his mind. New reporting now indicates that it was the OIG report that swayed him. My speculation is that the OIG report will reflect badly on McCabe, and that is what Wray foresaw. I have no idea what the OIG material concerning McCabe might be.

sidd

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: February 08, 2018, 08:20:42 AM »
B.S.

OK. Let's start with the basics : In which foot did Trump have bone spurs, Terry ?

Some more background :

Trump Got A Medical Draft Deferment For Heel Spurs, But Couldn’t Remember Which Foot Was Affected
https://whatdonaldtrumpliedaboutyesterday.com/2016/08/06/trump-got-a-medical-draft-deferment-for-heel-spurs-but-couldnt-remember-which-foot-was-affected/
Let's not waste either.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: February 08, 2018, 11:13:18 AM »

Au Contraire
In the post I objected to you referred to "Cadet bone-spurs" twice, and "bone-spurs" a third time.

In this same missive there was not one mention of "Russia" or of "con" or "con artist"

This was post #2601, which has been quoted far too often already.

Your moniker stands for Abrupt Sea Level Rise, let's not lower it's standing to Abrupt Change Of Subject.
Terry

Participation in the Vietnam War is somehow a recommendation for higher office?
Wow!

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2625 on: February 08, 2018, 04:50:15 PM »

Au Contraire
In the post I objected to you referred to "Cadet bone-spurs" twice, and "bone-spurs" a third time.

In this same missive there was not one mention of "Russia" or of "con" or "con artist"

This was post #2601, which has been quoted far too often already.

Your moniker stands for Abrupt Sea Level Rise, let's not lower it's standing to Abrupt Change Of Subject.
Terry

Participation in the Vietnam War is somehow a recommendation for higher office?
Wow!

Terry,

You seem to engage in substance abuse when making some of your posts, which makes it difficult to follow much of your associated lines of reasoning.

Firstly, this is the Russiagate thread so there is no need for me to mention Russia is every post.

Secondly, I was responding to Buddy's post that Traitor Donnie would be sorry for bringing up the word TREASON, and Buddy has made it very clear what he thinks of Trump's character and I was supporting his position.

Thirdly, Sen. Tammy Duckworth called Trump 'Cadet Bone Spurs'; which to me speaks to his con artist nature, as there are no X-rays of Trump's claimed heel spur.

Fourthly, I will thank you not to try to mimic Trump's bullying behavior by giving abusive nick names (like Abrupt Change of Subject) to people to disturb the bubble that such bullies live in.

Fifthly, I don't think that Trump was 'joking' when he accused Democrats of treason, but rather that he was trying to bully congressmen to become complicit in Trump's own treasonous behavior (you can re-read the link below so remind yourself what I was talking about).

― Leon C. Megginson

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: February 08, 2018, 06:50:28 PM »

Terry,

You seem to engage in substance abuse when making some of your posts, which makes it difficult to follow much of your associated lines of reasoning.

ASLR,

Ad Hominem attacks don't advance your argument.

If you can't follow my (sober) arguments, I'll attempt to use simpler wording.
This is from your recent post.

"I ridicule a sitting president for his treasonous behavior with regard to Russia, and because he is a con artist [/size]who just fabricated the bone spur excuse (note his recent medical examine made no note of any such pre-existing condition); and he is now conning the rest of the GOP, the public and the world."[/i]

But, as noted, you did not "ridicule a sitting president for his treasonous behavior with regard to Russia.". The only time "treason" was mentioned in post 2601 was when you commented on Trump calling a Democrat's remarks an act of "treason". There is no mention of "treasonous behavior with regard to Russia" at all.

You next claim you're ridiculing him also "because he is a con artist", but nowhere in your post are the words "con", or "artist" to be found.
Do you often imagine that you've written things when you demonstrably have not? Perhaps you edited it out of your post, then forgot the edit?

Next you state that, "who just fabricated the bone spur excuse".

How can you possibly know this? Perhaps you are too young to recall the induction centers where America's young men were required to report when their number came up.
Do you really believe that an ~18 year old Trump was such an accomplished liar that he could "con" these grizzled veterans of hundreds of days filled with thousands of excuses?

Bone spurs do show up on x-rays, and induction centers used x-rays extensively, for this reason no thinking person would imagine that he could get away with falsely claiming to have such an easily detected abnormality.

I'm sorry you are having such difficulties with reading comprehention. Perhaps repeating what I've written out loud would help?

I hope the "substance" issues you allude to are not self referencial. Bill W. can help. I've been clean and sober since July 1975.
Sincerely
Terry

Susan Anderson

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 279
« Reply #2627 on: February 08, 2018, 07:02:40 PM »
I've been away at life duties, but returned to find Trump and Republican efforts to make being a Democrat a traitorous crime, worse than any other, front and center. In the context of Trump's desire to have an expensive bang-up military parade in DC, I've also been thinking that Tammy Duckworth's President Bone Spurs is all too appropriate. While he says he's been obsessing about it since Macron's Bastille Day event, I'm pretty sure he's really thinking about Kim Jong Un (his brother from another mother) and North Korea's goosestepping hero worshipping parades.

So aSLR's remarks resonate strongly with me. I am a Democrat, and I've watched the silencing of Democrats (Congress is run by "the majority of the majority" which does not include Democrats, and voter suppression and cheating is all about silencing non-Republicans) for years, and been reflecting about purges by other dictators - now under way with the likes of Trump favorites Al Sisi, Duterte, and Erdogan, but historically much worse in Africa and Hitler and Putin and Stalin. The silencing of dissent seems right up Trump's alley. His BFF Putin who knows he will win his election has been making certainty double sure by removing opponents by methods that include state murder. Trump and Roy Moore's supporters made it clear why they prefer a pedophile, because there is nothing more awful than a Democrat.

Congressional Republicans are "giddy" about getting their plutocracy agenda enacted, and are now all in for Trump, no matter what awful things he does.

As for Trump's "hinting" remark about Democrats not applauding his speech, they closely resemble his remarks that should Hillary win, his fans should indulge in "second amendment solutions" - a killing spree, in short.

I don't think it's too much of a stretch to connect Trump's own obvious support of Putin, based on financial and emotional factors, which are being called - correctly in my opinion - treachery, and his effort to paint Democrats who wouldn't applaud his demagoguery traitors. In this context, it is entirely appropriate to refer to his five military deferments. He has also directly insulted Senator Duckworth, a female veteran who lost both legs in Iraq, on other occasions:
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/06/politics/tammy-duckworth-cadet-bone-spurs/index.html

aside: One of my father's dearest friends, a citizen of oriental descent, was at a physics department party and got stuck with Will Happer (celebrated Princeton climate denier) who had drink taken. Happer's rage at our "elites" (he's a southerner, and did encounter bias in his career) is powerful. He indicated that "we" were going to get rid of all the nasty furriners (including our friend) and "we" have lots of guns and are going to "win". That's the line of country.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 07:55:47 PM by Susan Anderson »

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #2628 on: February 08, 2018, 07:05:57 PM »

How can you possibly know this? Perhaps you are too young to recall the induction centers where America's young men were required to report when their number came up.
Do you really believe that an ~18 year old Trump was such an accomplished liar that he could "con" these grizzled veterans of hundreds of days filled with thousands of excuses?

Bone spurs do show up on x-rays, and induction centers used x-rays extensively, for this reason no thinking person would imagine that he could get away with falsely claiming to have such an easily detected abnormality.

I know that in the Vietnam era, many men achieved such a 4-F status with documentation from their physician.  Many of these never got to their induction center.

Taking an x-ray to diagnose a symptom might have been done by induction centers, but taking one to dispute a physician's signed statement wouldn't be clinically ethical.

The bone spur, I strongly suspect, was a ruse (with the cooperation of a compensated physician).  Nobody can prove it.  But the circumstantial evidence would suggest this.  He seems to have engineered documentation pertaining to physical exams both while a candidate and recently as President.  Such behavior would support the supposition that "Cadet Bone Spur" did so in his youth.

I fault nobody who avoided going to Vietnam.  Faking a 4-F exemption included.  But if Trump's 4-F status was a scheme, it's the height of presumptuousness for him to later seek to become Commander in Chief of the armed forces.

Susan Anderson

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: February 08, 2018, 07:42:46 PM »
The organized resistance to the draft and the Vietnam war was on fire in the late 1960s. I ran a mimeograph machine and marched, and we met with planners as to how to avoid the draft. Parents were up in arms, it united us all. Removing the draft disrupted this universal movement. I remember a sit-in protesting Dow Chemical (yes, in the 60s!) where we were so densely packed people had to walk on us to get through the room.

"I Feel Like I'm Fixin' To Die Rag"

Well, come on all of you, big strong men,
Uncle Sam needs your help again.
He's got himself in a terrible jam
Way down yonder in Vietnam
So put down your books and pick up a gun,
We're gonna have a whole lotta fun.

[refrain] And it's one, two, three,
What are we fighting for?
Don't ask me, I don't give a damn,
Next stop is Vietnam;
And it's five, six, seven,
Open up the pearly gates,
Well there ain't no time to wonder why,
Whoopee! we're all gonna die.

Well, come on generals, let's move fast;
Your big chance has come at last.
Now you can go out and get those reds
'Cause the only good commie is the one that's dead
And you know that peace can only be won
When we've blown 'em all to kingdom come.
[refrain]

Come on Wall Street, don't be slow,
Why man, this is war a-go-go
There's plenty good money to be made
By supplying the Army with the tools of its trade,
But just hope and pray that if they drop the bomb,
They drop it on the Viet Cong.
[refrain]

Come on mothers throughout the land,
Pack your boys off to Vietnam.
Come on fathers, don't hesitate
To send your sons before it's too late.
Be the first one in your block
To have your boy come home in a box.
[refrain]

[This is not my favorite rendition, but it's good enough:]
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 07:51:15 PM by Susan Anderson »

Susan Anderson

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: February 08, 2018, 07:46:55 PM »
What makes Trump a hypocrite is not his avoiding the draft, but his military boosterism and insults and threats to military personnel who don't share his politics (e.g., Sen. Duckworth, Khizr Khan's dead son, Sgt LaDavid's pregnant black widow and her black congressperson friend). He did go to a military academy (probably because he was a troublemaker and needed discipline).

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: February 08, 2018, 08:05:37 PM »
I hope the "substance" issues you allude to are not self referencial. Bill W. can help. I've been clean and sober since July 1975.
Sincerely
Terry
Terry,

It is nice to hear that you have been sober since July 1975; nevertheless, I am going to block your posts from my viewing because I truly have a hard time following your logic.

Best,
ASLR
― Leon C. Megginson

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: February 08, 2018, 08:11:15 PM »

I know that in the Vietnam era, many men achieved such a 4-F status with documentation from their physician.  Many of these never got to their induction center.

Taking an x-ray to diagnose a symptom might have been done by induction centers, but taking one to dispute a physician's signed statement wouldn't be clinically ethical.

The bone spur, I strongly suspect, was a ruse (with the cooperation of a compensated physician).  Nobody can prove it.  But the circumstantial evidence would suggest this.  He seems to have engineered documentation pertaining to physical exams both while a candidate and recently as President.  Such behavior would support the supposition that "Cadet Bone Spur" did so in his youth.

I fault nobody who avoided going to Vietnam.  Faking a 4-F exemption included.  But if Trump's 4-F status was a scheme, it's the height of presumptuousness for him to later seek to become Commander in Chief of the armed forces.

Re. the bolded.
Ramen!!

If Trump's exemption was schemed it would have been at the instigation of his parents. Teenagers, even teenage Trumps, don't have the pull.

I'm not convinced that Trump seriously ran to win. Remember Wolff's rather telling tell all? If Trump was seeking recognition, fame, and possibly his own TV network, some of his decisions before and after the election begin to make some kind of sense.

At one time Trump reportedly offered the vice presidency to Kasich, and would have given him full control of both foreign and domestic policy. What would Donald be doing? Making America Great!!
In retrospect perhaps Kasich would have been an improvement over Pence on the domestic front and Mad Dog Mattis heading up Defence.

Terry

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: February 09, 2018, 03:08:18 AM »
It looks like Mueller knows what Page and Bannon talked about:

Title: "FBI surveillance of Carter Page might have picked up Bannon"

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/08/carter-page-steve-bannon-fbi-communications-398992

Extract: "The former Trump campaign adviser says he spoke to Trump aide Steve Bannon about Russia in January 2017, at a time when the FBI had a controversial warrant to monitor Page's communications."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: February 09, 2018, 04:59:41 AM »

Rubio says that Warner's contact with Russian lobbyist had zero impact on their investigation:

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/373074-rubio-on-warner-contact-with-russian-lobbyist-its-had-zero-impact-on-our-work

Extract: "Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) dismissed a report Thursday claiming Sen. Mark Warner (D-Va.) texted with a lobbyist for a Russian oligarch who promised access to Christopher Steele, the author of a controversial dossier alleging ties between President Trump and Russia.

Fox News reported that Warner had "extensive contact" last year with lobbyist Adam Waldman, whose firm reportedly also has ties to Hillary Clinton."
― Leon C. Megginson

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: February 09, 2018, 06:01:55 AM »
Purge continues: Add Korton(FBI) and Laufman(DOJ) to the list

So far: Comey(FBI). McCabe(FBI). Rybicki(FBI). Baker(FBI). Strzok(FBI) not yet fired but demoted.  Same with Ohr(DOJ).

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/08/fbi-texts-officials-resign-400533

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: February 09, 2018, 06:02:53 AM »

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: February 09, 2018, 08:49:15 AM »
About Russia interfering in our elections, and the Trump administration :

Let's not waste either.

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: February 09, 2018, 09:13:40 AM »
Sidney Blumenthal was feeding Steele through State:

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/06/gowdy-blumenthal-steele-dossier-clinton-395929

sidd

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion.
What I see is a lot of smoke by Gowdy :

"I'm trying to think of how Secretary Clinton defined him. I think she said he was an old friend who emailed her from time to time," Gowdy said.

Asked whether it was Blumenthal, Gowdy said: "That would be really warm. You're warm."

"I am troubled by what I read in the documents with respect to the role the State Department played in the fall of 2016, including information that was used in a court proceeding," he said.

"Everything that there is to know about it, and I have known about it for over a month," he said. "If you go and read the documents at the Department of Justice, you see it. I am troubled by it."

Notice that he does not say anything specific.

Now, I generally respect Gowdy. I think at times he speaks the truth.
But in this case he is very evasive, and lacks any focus on what he is saying, let alone providing any evidence that some may attach to his statements.
Let's not waste either.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: February 09, 2018, 05:44:54 PM »
This is big news and provides physical evidence that Paul Manafort was a conduit for conspiracy between Team Trump and the Kremlin during the 2016 capaign:

Title: "Video: Russia’s opposition leader claims to have figured out the Trump campaign’s Kremlin connection"

https://qz.com/1202800/alexey-navalny-says-oleg-deripaska-transmitted-trump-campaign-information-from-paul-manafort-to-the-kremlin/

Extract: "In a video released today, leading Russian opposition figure Alexey Navalny alleged that a former Trump campaign aide “transmitted” information to the Kremlin. The conduit: Russian aluminum magnate Oleg Deripaska, who is known to be part of Vladimir Putin’s inner circle.

Paul Manafort worked with Deripaska for many years before joining the Trump campaign, and was under FBI investigation as early as 2014. In 2016, while working as Trump’s campaign manager, Manafort reportedly offered (paywall) to brief Deripaska on the Trump campaign.

In a 25-minute Youtube video (Russian with subtitles), Navalny shows footage of Deripaska with Russian deputy prime minister Sergei Prikhodko on his yacht in Norway in August 2016. Based on that footage, he alleges that information about the Trump campaign must have passed between the two.

Navalny bases his allegations on accounts written by an escort, self-described “sex hunter” Nastya Rybka, who was allegedly one of several sex workers on the yacht. She filmed the trip in an Instagram post, footage of which can be seen in Navalny’s video.

In it, Deripaska sits next to Prikhodko and light-heartedly tells Rybka, “We have bad relations with America. Why? Because Sergei Eduardovich’s [Prikhodko] friend is responsible for them. Her name’s Nuland,” he said, referring to Victoria Nuland, then a senior State department official working on Russia. “Nuland, when she was your age, spent a month on a Russian whaling boat. After that she hates our country.

Navalny says he was originally skeptical of the idea that Deripaska was Manafort’s backchannel to Putin, but says in his video that Prikhodko is the man “who makes these decisions—there he is cruising on a yacht, and as we can hear in the video, discussing politics with [Deripaska],” he says. “Even Nastya Rybka, the witness of all this, says that fishing is a cover, in fact there were some important informal discussions.”

Manafort allegedly offered Deripaska the private briefings on Jul. 7, 2016. The yacht trip allegedly took place over three days from Aug. 6. Less than two weeks later, Manafort resigned from the campaign under heavy scrutiny of his ties to pro-Russian Ukrainian oligarchs. Manafort has since been charged by special counsel Robert Mueller with twelve crimes, including a conspiracy against the United States.”

For the cited video see:

« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 06:10:50 PM by AbruptSLR »
― Leon C. Megginson

Susan Anderson

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2640 on: February 09, 2018, 06:11:00 PM »
Trump and the military. And no, guys of draft age are old enough to know what's going on. Sure, his parents probably helped. He was hobnobbing with Roy Cohn, Joe McCarthy's infamous amnuensis. Here's what he said (borrowing from NYT comment though I remember the clip):

In an interview with Howard Stern in 1997, Donald Trump explained he was a “brave soldier” for avoiding STDs during his single years in the late ’90s.

“It’s amazing, I can’t even believe it. I’ve been so lucky in terms of that whole world, it is a dangerous world out there. It’s like Vietnam, sort of. It is my personal Vietnam. I feel like a great and very brave solider,” when asked how he handled making sure he wasn’t contracting STDs from the women he was sleeping with.

He elaborated on the fact in the interview, calling women’s vaginas “potential landmines” and saying “there’s some real danger there.”
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 06:42:16 PM by Susan Anderson »

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: February 09, 2018, 06:25:49 PM »
This is big new and provides physical evidence that Paul Manafort was a conduit for conspiracy between Team Trump and the Kremlin during the 2016 capaign:

Just how does this do so?

Two Russian businessmen took a trip and aboard ship talked politics. Neither of them had a high opinion of "Cookies" Nuland, but very few people in Europe did after her famous "Fuck the EU" speech had made the rounds. Oh, and Manafort apparently worked for one of them at one time.

Video produced and edited by a Russian whore.

What am I missing? Where is the beef?
Terry

What we need is a video of George, The Professor, Lovely Olga, and The Australian Ambassador.
You provide the pictures, I'll market the board game.

Susan Anderson

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: February 09, 2018, 06:37:39 PM »
[Edit: I see I mistook Sidney for Richard Blumenthal, which I noted later on (and should have included an apology as well, though as to substance, I stand by what I've said later on as well as here on Richard]

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/06/gowdy-blumenthal-steele-dossier-clinton-395929

What is it with people who claim to be progressive but will insult anyone and everyone to defend Trump and Putin? Slate is one of the best news outlets going. Sidney Blumenthal is one of the best and most courageous US Senators holding the fort in these difficult and trying times.  Gowdy is horrid, but not as horrid as Nunes.

Any narrative that attacks us and defends dismantling democracy is fair game as long as it attacks Democrats? I though you and Terry were blaming us for not enacting Bernie's ideals, but this appears to support the criminals and enablers and dupes now in charge and support the Trumpian/Putinesque opposition tactics.

There are a couple of Democrats I find disturbing (Manchin and sometimes Heitcamp) but there are very few Democrats who wouldn't, in an ideal world with real options, vote for universal health care, a guaranteed minimum wage, real action on climate change and true clean energy, cutting back on nuclear brinkmanship, women's equality, real progressive taxation, and all. The pragmatists who have to deal with real opposition should not be blamed for finding a way to stem the tide. Bernie compromises on gun control, for example, because he's from Vermont where standing up for cutting back on the rising tide of high powered killing machines won't fly.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 09:45:54 PM by Susan Anderson »

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #2643 on: February 09, 2018, 06:43:50 PM »

What is it with people who claim to be progressive but will insult anyone and everyone to defend Trump and Putin? Slate is one of the best news outlets going. Sidney Blumenthal is one of the best and most courageous US Senators holding the fort in these difficult and trying times.  Gowdy is horrid, but not as horrid as Nunes.

Any narrative that attacks us and defends dismantling democracy is fair game as long as it attacks Democrats? I though you and Terry were blaming us for not enacting Bernie's ideals, but this appears to support the criminals and enablers and dupes now in charge and support the Trumpian/Putinesque opposition tactics.

There are a couple of Democrats I find disturbing (Manchin and sometimes Heitcamp) but there are very few Democrats who wouldn't, in an ideal world with real options, vote for universal health care, a guaranteed minimum wage, real action on climate change and true clean energy, cutting back on nuclear brinkmanship, women's equality, real progressive taxation, and all. The pragmatists who have to deal with real opposition should not be blamed for finding a way to stem the tide. Bernie compromises on gun control, for example, because he's from Vermont where standing up for cutting back on the rising tide of high powered killing machines won't fly.

+1

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: February 09, 2018, 07:04:07 PM »
Trump and the military. And no, guys of draft age are old enough to know what's going on. Sure, his parents may have helped. He was hobnobbing with Roy Cohn, Joe McCarthy's infamous amnuensis. Here's what he said (borrowing from NYT comment though I remember the clip):

In an interview with Howard Stern in 1997, Donald Trump explained he was a “brave soldier” for avoiding STDs during his single years in the late ’90s.

“It’s amazing, I can’t even believe it. I’ve been so lucky in terms of that whole world, it is a dangerous world out there. It’s like Vietnam, sort of. It is my personal Vietnam. I feel like a great and very brave solider,” when asked how he handled making sure he wasn’t contracting STDs from the women he was sleeping with.

He elaborated on the fact in the interview, calling women’s vaginas “potential landmines” and saying “there’s some real danger there.”

Love the bolded, sent me off to Wikiland! ;D

Cohn was ~20 years older than Trump. That's a fair stretch when you're a teenager!
My bad, Trump would have been either 21 or 22 when the bone spurs showed up, and Cohn would have been 41. Not quite twice the age, but not many common experiences to share.

You're beginning to make me wonder if Trump isn't much brighter than we give him credit for.
Terry

Susan Anderson

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: February 09, 2018, 07:19:30 PM »
Oops: "amanuensis" - spelling! Thanks for looking up the timing. So Cohn wouldn't have been around when Trump was 18 ...

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: February 09, 2018, 07:26:48 PM »

The Sidney Blumenthal Wiki describes is a very different person.
Their description is actually far from flattering. Are you sure we're talking about the same person?
Terry

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: February 09, 2018, 08:26:34 PM »
This is big news and provides physical evidence that Paul Manafort was a conduit for conspiracy between Team Trump and the Kremlin during the 2016 capaign:

To add some context as to why this is important:

1. Per congressional testimony, shortly after Don Jr.'s (& Jared's & Manafort's) Trump Tower meeting with Natalia Veslnitskaya, Carter Page took a trip to Moscow (allegedly to give a talk, but mostly he was a courier between the Trump campaign and the Kremlin, including Putin-linked Rosneft executives).

2. Presumably Page reported back to the campaign manager Manafort when he returned from Moscow.

3. Within 48 hours after Page being in Moscow, Manafort wrote to Oleg Deripaska to offer him 'briefings' (most likely about Trump's willingness to reduce sanctions against Russia), which most likely Deripaska would pass on to his friend Putin.

4. The Navalny video shows Deripaska with Russian deputy prime minister Prikhodko on the yacht in Norway in early August 2016, which Navalny explains is how Deripaska passed information (likely about Trump's willingness to cut sanctions) from Manafort to Putin.  This meeting on the yacht was just about a month after Manafort offered Deripaska briefings.

5. Shortly thereafter Trump got his first intelligence briefing (as the GOP candidate) on Russian activities against U.S. interests and a few weeks after than Sessions met with Kislyak (likely to discuss ending the sanctions).

6. By the end of September 2016, both Manafort and Page were officially removed from the campaign (but unofficially remained in contact) and Papadopoulos was sidelined, because the work of conspiring with Russia was done.

Edit: I not that during the transition Jared got directly involved with discussing/negotiating reductions in the sanctions with Russian representatives.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 09:00:25 PM by AbruptSLR »
― Leon C. Megginson

Susan Anderson

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: February 09, 2018, 08:48:36 PM »
TerryM. I have to quit this time-consuming and fruitless discussion soon, but your neverending sniping is not helping. Connecticut is right next to Massachusetts and I don't need a wiki to know what he's been up to. Senator Blumenthal is one of the good guys fighting the good fight, one of the few able to stand up to Trump and the Republican Congress. Faultfinding of our allies is blinding you to the real crimes being committed by the hour in my country!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Blumenthal

If you want an awful, check out WWE executive Linda McMahon who was his opponent. Yes, he's a tough guy. Weak people don't succeed and armchair critics are the least helpful when they demand perfection while ignoring real horrors.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: February 09, 2018, 09:07:26 PM »
The politico reference is to Sidney Blumenthal, not Richard.

sidd