Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Clicktivism  (Read 4181 times)

Paddy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 153
  • Likes Given: 151
Clicktivism
« on: April 27, 2017, 11:11:54 AM »
A relatively small way we can walk the walk would seem to be through our internet use.  I currently do the following three things in this way, from most to least productive:

- Using www.ecosia.org as my search engine, so that when I search for stuff, it ends up in trees being planted.
- Signing online petitions, which I doubt makes any real difference at all.
- Internet arguments / putting the right information out there (on forums, news comments etc.), which I fear is a often a complete waste of time, but can't quite give up on. (Although I hasten to add that those producing good quality material on the blogosphere are certainly not wasting their time)

Do people here take part in any other things in this line?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 11:53:35 AM by Paddy »

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Clicktivism
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 05:52:52 PM »
Paddy
Thanks so much for the heads up re. ecosia !!
I don't do petitions & am allergic to denialist sites. Giving them ANY advertising revenue makes me nauseous, so I don't have much opportunity to argue with them.

Planting trees can't help but help.

Terry

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 06:07:34 PM »
I will check out ecosia, never heard of it

I do leave pro-science as well as clarifying comments in my "local" online newspaper when I run into proper material or  when people post comments from the bad side. I prefer not to drown in swamps and fight windmills like Jim Hunt does, though I happen to read denialist comments on some blogs and stuff.

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
  • Liked: 309
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 08:07:22 PM »
Well, what I do right now using internet is more to provide additional information to somebody I met in real life. I often give links or data so that the person would be able to inform somebody else correctly.

I do comments on blogs only if I feel that what I have to say has some added value or if nobody reacted on a comment that I find chocking. I use quite often the introduction "I believe that ..." in order to reduce the agression potential of the comment and of the reaction (I feel that everybody agrees that you can believe whatever you want). Furthermore, I feel that if I use the "believe" introduction, I don't have to react if the next comment tells me that I'm an idiot.