Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Hurricane season 2017  (Read 359568 times)

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
Re: Hurricane season 2017
« Reply #900 on: September 13, 2017, 07:39:03 PM »
This homeowner in #BigPineKey impressed me mightily. That's what I called locked down. Metal roof with straps anchored to the ground #Irma
https://mobile.twitter.com/ExtremeStorms/status/907997724045438976
Photo below.
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: September 13, 2017, 08:16:01 PM »
Post-Harvey, Houston Officials Hope Congress Is Up For Funding Ike Dike
Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner on Tuesday gave his strongest endorsement to date for constructing a physical coastal barrier to protect the region from deadly storm surge.
http://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/2017/09/13/236936/post-harvey-houston-officials-hope-congress-is-up-for-funding-ike-dike/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: September 13, 2017, 08:32:24 PM »
Flooding from Irma could close I-75 in north Florida
The Santa Fe River under I-75 north of Alachua County is expected to crest, complicating the journey home for those who evacuated.
A rapidly rising river — caused by the historic flooding that Jacksonville saw on Monday — could potentially force Interstate 75 to completely shut down south of Interstate 10 and north of Alachua in north-central Florida.
“The river is expected to crest at historic and unprecedented levels presenting a potential threat to the safety of travel on this bridge,” the Florida Department of Transportation said in a statement early Wednesday. “The Santa Fe River under I-75 has rapidly risen 15 feet within the past 36 hours due to the heavy rainfall over North Florida from Hurricane Irma.”

“If the river were to rise to an unsafe level, the bridge would become impassable both northbound and southbound, and would be closed immediately,” FDOT warned.

It’s an additional reason state officials urge residents not to drive home yet. ...
http://www.tampabay.com/florida-politics/buzz/2017/09/13/flooding-from-irma-could-close-i-75-stranding-thousands/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: September 13, 2017, 09:06:23 PM »
Typhoon #Talim in the west Pacific is intensifying rapidly toward Category 3 strength, and still expected to turn toward #Japan.
https://www.wunderground.com/news/tropical-storm-typhoon-talim-taiwan-china
    https://twitter.com/wunderground/status/908042641740242944

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #904 on: September 13, 2017, 09:25:18 PM »
Despite the hurricanes being primarily property damage, the info-wars may still have went well. The message did get out, despite an excellent stream of tweets from the Koch's hurricane guy R Maue, that climate change did contribute to frequency and intensity of these tropical storms. And a lot of the public here goes by their gut feeling, which worked to our advantage for once.
That Maue has been driving me nuts. I thought he was just a plain old meteorologist, but he kept on and on with his AGW soft denial. Eric Holthaus on the other hand has been doing a good job of harping on climate change.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
« Reply #905 on: September 13, 2017, 10:32:03 PM »
Here is today's Windy forecast for Hurricane Jose for Sept 22 2017.  If this uncertain forecast actually occurs, the Northeast Coast could be in for some hard knocks:
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

Daniel B.

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #906 on: September 14, 2017, 04:02:12 AM »
Here is today's Windy forecast for Hurricane Jose for Sept 22 2017.  If this uncertain forecast actually occurs, the Northeast Coast could be in for some hard knocks:

I would not put too much faith in a hurricane forecast 9 days out.

Pmt111500

« Reply #907 on: September 14, 2017, 08:49:15 AM »
Sorry for my supid comment, but I believe that when a heatwave will kill 150'000 people in the American Southwest, it will be too late for everybody.

With "an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth" concept, you only get blind and toothless people.

Well, it pretty much is what republicans want. I'm too much OT again. But there are others too, what's all this talk of typhoons on a hurricanes thread??? Further, I'm of the opinion this thread is way too America-centric. Proposing the thread to be of hurrisöcanes outside of American NHC area of responsibility. ;-). Oh, how far the the reach of local exeptionalism in America

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 185
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #908 on: September 14, 2017, 09:56:06 AM »
Maybe that's what republicans want, but it's what globalists created.

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 185
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #909 on: September 14, 2017, 10:38:45 AM »
I think Talim is going to be an interesting case. If forcasts are correct he will cross Japan from south to north. And most of the time he will stay partly above sea.

Reallybigbunny

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #910 on: September 14, 2017, 04:58:45 PM »
Current cyclones, hurricanes and global sea surface temperatures
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 05:09:52 PM by Reallybigbunny »

Reallybigbunny

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #911 on: September 14, 2017, 05:08:48 PM »
Typhoon Talim current path projection

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: September 14, 2017, 05:54:09 PM »
NHC Update, 11am:
Outer Banks of North Carolina now in the 5-day cone for #Jose, still just about a 20% chance the storm will affect the US.
https://twitter.com/ericholthaus/status/908347226992373760

"Affect" being a relative term, as the graphic header notes....

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: September 14, 2017, 06:01:12 PM »
Florida’s Poop Nightmare Has Come True
Hurricane Irma caused massive sewage overflows, highlighting the twin dangers of an aging infrastructure and climate change.
https://newrepublic.com/article/144798/floridas-poop-nightmare-come-true

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: September 14, 2017, 06:08:33 PM »
NHC Update, 11am:
Outer Banks of North Carolina now in the 5-day cone for #Jose, still just about a 20% chance the storm will affect the US.

The current Windy forecast (see the attached image) for Tuesday Sept 19 2017 places Hurricane Jose a little bit closer to the Eastern Seaboard than does the NHC forecast:
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

Gray-Wolf

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 131
  • Likes Given: 458
« Reply #915 on: September 14, 2017, 07:34:01 PM »
I think NHC are at odds with most of the current models with regard to how close Jose will get to the East coast.

Are we seeing some post Irma sensitivity to possible tracks and impacts?

How would the New york area face up to a possible Sept 21st run in with Jose esp if we see multiple 'will it won't it runs?

I think mother N. has her eyes on Trump towers! (lol)
KOYAANISQATSI

ko.yaa.nis.katsi (from the Hopi language), n. 1. crazy life. 2. life in turmoil. 3. life disintegrating. 4. life out of balance. 5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.

VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS

logicmanPatrick

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • The Chatter Box
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #916 on: September 14, 2017, 08:38:41 PM »
Windy.com shows why I am feeling cold in my garden here in sourthern England: winds from north Russia via Arctic.

I have found the windy.com forecasts to be accurate over about 3 days, less so after that.

Today's 3 day forecast (for Monday 18 Sept.) show Jose brushing the USA and a tropical storm / hurricane coming up in the Atlantic.

We are living in 'interesting times'.

https://www.windy.com/?2017-09-18-12,19.311,-50.977,3
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #917 on: September 14, 2017, 08:39:47 PM »
I live just east of Tallahassee, Florida.

A year ago, Category 1 Hurricane Hermine dropped some trees [including a 75 cm - 2.5' - diameter oak] across my driveway, knocked a decorative candle lantern (no candle) off its stand and bent the stand.  Mains electricity was out for 5 days. 

Tropical Storm Irma broke two of a large sweet gum's three tops off (breaking the glass on the decorative lantern (again no candle) and blocking my driveway with a ~22 cm [9"] diameter 'log' and a falling oak tree's ~20 cm [8"] diameter branch clipped a rain gutter on my house (damaging 3 feet of the gutter and 'crushing' my clothesline - not a dent on my metal roof).  Electricity was out for 1.5 days.

I should have put the lantern in storage (both  times) as I did lawn furniture, etc.
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

Gray-Wolf

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 131
  • Likes Given: 458
« Reply #918 on: September 14, 2017, 08:45:23 PM »
Windy.com shows why I am feeling cold in my garden here in sourthern England: winds from north Russia via Arctic.

I have found the windy.com forecasts to be accurate over about 3 days, less so after that.

Today's 3 day forecast (for Monday 18 Sept.) show Jose brushing the USA and a tropical storm / hurricane coming up in the Atlantic.

We are living in 'interesting times'.

https://www.windy.com/?2017-09-18-12,19.311,-50.977,3

Some of the 'experimental models' show the eastern most disturbance catching and eating the western one before heading north to interact with the remnants of Jose mid way across the Atlantic.

Could be that this extends our grab at the Azores high and pumps up some 'better' airs for an Indian summer from further South? ( one can always hope!).
KOYAANISQATSI

ko.yaa.nis.katsi (from the Hopi language), n. 1. crazy life. 2. life in turmoil. 3. life disintegrating. 4. life out of balance. 5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.

VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: September 14, 2017, 10:14:08 PM »
The Houston Flooding Pushed the Earth's Crust Down 2 Centimeters
The 275 trillion pounds of water from Hurricane Harvey deformed the ground in Texas.
The weight of water can deform the Earth’s crust, if there’s enough of it. And we can measure that change with the ultraprecise global-positioning satellites humans have launched into orbit.

On Monday, Chris Milliner of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory tweeted a simple map visualizing data from the Nevada Geodetic Laboratory. It showed that the GPS data from special stations around Houston detected that the whole area had been pushed down roughly two centimeters by the weight of the water that fell during Hurricane Harvey. ...
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2017/09/hurricane-harvey-deformed-the-earths-crust-around-houston/538866/

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: September 14, 2017, 10:38:04 PM »
I think NHC are at odds with most of the current models with regard to how close Jose will get to the East coast.

Are we seeing some post Irma sensitivity to possible tracks and impacts?

How would the New york area face up to a possible Sept 21st run in with Jose esp if we see multiple 'will it won't it runs?

I think mother N. has her eyes on Trump towers! (lol)

While Jose is currently forecast to miss the New York area; nevertheless the two attached HWRF forecasts for Jose thru 6pm Tuesday Sept 19 2017, indicates that Jose is moving even closer to New York than the last Windy forecast (thru noon on the 19th).
― Leon C. Megginson

Archimid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 899
  • Likes Given: 206
« Reply #921 on: September 15, 2017, 12:23:08 AM »
I live just east of Tallahassee, Florida.
I should have put the lantern in storage (both  times) as I did lawn furniture, etc.

I'm glad you are ok and have the power back on.  The good thing about these events is that we learn our vulnerabilities and have a chance to be better prepared next time. Chances are that next time will be sooner than last time.
I am an energy reservoir seemingly intent on lowering entropy for self preservation.

Daniel B.

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #922 on: September 15, 2017, 12:29:56 AM »
Much of the model differences are based on whether high pressure develops to the north of Jose.  This will steer it further inland.  Without such a development, the jet stream will push it out to sea.  All this is still a week away, so forecasts are quite speculative at this point.

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #923 on: September 15, 2017, 01:58:55 AM »
The White House is only 54 feet above sea level.  If Jose went up the Chesapeake Bay, I think the
White House could flood.  Maybe that would wake up some skeptics. 
Background information:

With National Treasures At Risk, D.C. Fights Against Flooding
http://www.npr.org/2013/12/26/255847303/with-national-treasures-at-risk-d-c-fights-against-flooding

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 120
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #924 on: September 15, 2017, 08:20:52 AM »
Statements like this :

The White House is only 54 feet above sea level.  If Jose went up the Chesapeake Bay, I think the

and this
We need to be shocked into action and deadly global catastrophes are the only way this will happen....say a deadly heatwave in the Southwest U.S. that kills 150,000.

are not helping at all.

If they were to happen they would be regarded as 'fluke' events and for good reason.
Global warming and climate change and sea level rise so far happen slowly but steadily.
And that is troublesome enough.

If there are any climate trigger points that lead to abrupt climate change, then we will see this only after a number of years in a row result in the same catastrophes, and then it will be too late anyway.

It's much more constructive to look at the bright side of what we can do to change, before it is too late. The island of Kauai sets an example :
https://electrek.co/2017/06/21/tesla-solar-powerpack-kauai-drone-video/
This is our planet. This is our time.
Let's not waste either.

Forest Dweller

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #925 on: September 15, 2017, 08:29:37 AM »
GFS for the 20th, which is not too long term outlook.
José grazing New York and more worryingly a fast developing powerful storm in roughly the same area affected by Irma.
National Hurricane Center gives that one 80% chance of developing in 5 days as well.

The mood is still grim in both the French and Dutch side of St. Maarten and this can't be helping.
I'm not impressed with the Dutch efforts to provide aid so far at all, no thinking outside of the box and little understanding of the desperate situation.
While they were too worried to land planes down there the US planes evacuated their people just fine and the locals felt deserted for it.
They never even considered airdropping which is what C130 planes are good at and would have been a sign of hope at least.

The not yet named storm seems like it will hit some islands whichever way it goes, let's hope it does not ravage places already in shambles...

Forest Dweller

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: September 15, 2017, 08:47:09 AM »
Statements like this :

and this
We need to be shocked into action and deadly global catastrophes are the only way this will happen....say a deadly heatwave in the Southwest U.S. that kills 150,000.

are not helping at all.

If they were to happen they would be regarded as 'fluke' events and for good reason.
Global warming and climate change and sea level rise so far happen slowly but steadily.
And that is troublesome enough.

If there are any climate trigger points that lead to abrupt climate change, then we will see this only after a number of years in a row result in the same catastrophes, and then it will be too late anyway.

It's much more constructive to look at the bright side of what we can do to change, before it is too late. The island of Kauai sets an example :
https://electrek.co/2017/06/21/tesla-solar-powerpack-kauai-drone-video/

I agree Rob, but statements like that based on emotions are to be expected i guess.
Those Tesla setup's look nightmarish to me actually and have me wondering how on Earth people think we can replace energy demands with other finite resources and limited possibilities?
Staying on topic, it doesn't look very hurricane-proof to me either... ;)

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: September 15, 2017, 01:34:57 PM »
'For first time in 300 years, there’s not a single living person on the island of Barbuda'
Barbuda has been left completely devastated by Hurricane Irma. An estimated 95% of Barbuda’s structures are damaged, and the entire island of around 1,800 people has been evacuated.

“The damage is complete,” says Ambassador Ronald Sanders, who has served as Antigua and Barbuda’s ambassador to the U.S. since 2015. “For the first time in 300 years, there’s not a single living person on the island of Barbuda — a civilization that has existed on that island for over 300 years has now been extinguished.”

According to Sanders, Irma was “the most ferocious, cruel and merciless storm” in the island’s history. The hurricane was 378 miles wide when it descended on Barbuda, which is just 62 square miles.

“This was a huge monster,” he says. “The island and the people on the island had absolutely no chance.”

Evacuees from Barbuda were sent to Antigua, which did not suffer the same level of damage from Irma.

“We’ve had most of the people we’ve brought over to Antigua in shelters,” says Sanders. “We’ve tried to make living accommodations as good as humanly possible in these circumstances. Fortunately, we had planned ahead for this hurricane, and we had ordered supplies in from Miami and the United States before the hurricane hit.”
Sanders says the world must step up and help Barbuda.

“We are a small island community — the gross domestic product of Antigua is $1 billion a year,” he says. “We cannot afford to take on this responsibility by ourselves. Barbuda is not just a disaster, it’s a humanitarian crisis. We are hopeful that the international community will come to our aid, not because we’re begging for something we want, but because we’re begging for something that is needed.” ...
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2017/09/14/barbuda-hurricane-irama-devastation/665950001/

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: September 15, 2017, 05:57:39 PM »
The latest HWRF-Parent forecast for Hurricane Jose shows it relatively close to the greater New York area by 9m EDT on Tuesday Sept 9 2017.  Let's hope that a blocking high pressure system near Greenland doesn't push it landward as happened to Superstorm Sandy:
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: September 15, 2017, 06:09:22 PM »
The current Windy forecast shows that a high pressure system will form that will keep Jose near the greater New York area until Saturday Sept 23 2017 (see attached image), and thereafter project that it will degrade below a tropical storm level.  Let's hope that his high pressure system doesn't strengthen (or arrive early):
― Leon C. Megginson

Archimid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 899
  • Likes Given: 206
« Reply #930 on: September 15, 2017, 07:11:10 PM »
Category 5 Hurricane according to NOAA

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutsshws.php

A high percentage of framed homes will be destroyed, with total roof failure and wall collapse. Fallen trees and power poles will isolate residential areas. Power outages will last for weeks to possibly months. Most of the area will be uninhabitable for weeks or months

For first time in 300 years, no one is living on Barbuda.( Video).

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/09/15/americas/irma-barbuda-population-trnd/index.html

I am an energy reservoir seemingly intent on lowering entropy for self preservation.

logicmanPatrick

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • The Chatter Box
« Reply #931 on: September 15, 2017, 07:26:28 PM »
Latest from NHC, image modified to show all 3 panels at once.

Latest wave heights from NHC.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: September 15, 2017, 09:18:24 PM »
#Jose will be a good test of a new experimental weather model called #DeepThunder from WSI & @IBM. It is currently West of other models.
https://twitter.com/BillKarins/status/908624680311050240

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: September 15, 2017, 09:20:26 PM »
Meteorologists starting to lose their minds:

Ryan Hanrahan:  "If I'm still talking about #Jose on Monday 9/25 I'm finding a new profession."
https://twitter.com/ryanhanrahan/status/908766011255611392

From Monday:
Bill Karins:  "I refuse to show GFS past day 5 but if I have to work again next weekend because of #Jose I'm going need a good shrink & divorce lawyer."
https://twitter.com/billkarins/status/907280127721197569

jai mitchell

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 207
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #934 on: September 16, 2017, 12:22:51 AM »
. . . and then it will be too late anyway.

Talk about not helping.   It is a simple fact of human nature that we are basically herd animals who need to see concrete physical action or threat to get behind something.  In the absence of a rational, moral and representational government who has effectively denied climate change and its threats for the last 30 years, It will likely take continued impacts, coupled with local-scale movements eventually catalyzing into a national-scale movement, like occupy wall street, before our government actually does the hard work of saying 'NO' to their wealthy fossil-fuel interest donors and lobbyists.
Haiku of Futures Passed
My "burning embers"
are not tri-color bar graphs
+3C today

jai mitchell

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 207
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #935 on: September 16, 2017, 12:26:00 AM »
Disturbance 1 looks very significant in the Caribbean (and on toward Florida) on the long-range models, Hurricane Jose looks to be more than insignificant with wind-speed and storm surge damage to New England.

https://earth.nullschool.net/#2017/09/20/1200Z/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-69.52,27.91,818/loc=-162.147,14.467
Haiku of Futures Passed
My "burning embers"
are not tri-color bar graphs
+3C today

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: September 16, 2017, 12:39:35 AM »
It will likely take continued impacts, coupled with local-scale movements eventually catalyzing into a national-scale movement, like occupy wall street, before our government actually does the hard work of saying 'NO' to their wealthy fossil-fuel interest donors and lobbyists.
― Leon C. Megginson

Martin Gisser

« Reply #937 on: September 16, 2017, 12:44:23 AM »
Florida governor remains unsure about climate change after Hurricane Irma
“Clearly our environment changes all the time, and whether that’s cycles we’re going through or whether that’s man-made, I wouldn’t be able to tell you which one it is,” Scott said after twice touring the storm-ravaged Florida Keys this week.

http://www.politico.com/states/florida/story/2017/09/14/florida-governor-remains-unsure-about-climate-change-after-hurricane-irma-114498

miki

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 223
« Reply #938 on: September 16, 2017, 01:08:28 AM »
He cannot change, Martin.
If he tells anything different than that the whole real estate market in Florida starts crumbling.

Florida governor remains unsure about climate change after Hurricane Irma
“Clearly our environment changes all the time, and whether that’s cycles we’re going through or whether that’s man-made, I wouldn’t be able to tell you which one it is,” Scott said after twice touring the storm-ravaged Florida Keys this week.

http://www.politico.com/states/florida/story/2017/09/14/florida-governor-remains-unsure-about-climate-change-after-hurricane-irma-114498

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 120
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #939 on: September 16, 2017, 06:03:55 AM »
Those Tesla setup's look nightmarish to me actually and have me wondering how on Earth people think we can replace energy demands with other finite resources and limited possibilities?

What a strange remark. Kauai just switched to almost 100% renewable energy with that Tesla solar plant/battery system. And they lowered electricity cost from 30ct/kWh to 11ct/kWh.

The only people for which that is 'nightmarish' is the fossil fuel industry, since the Kauai example can be replicated everywhere.

Solar power is not a 'finite resource' in the practical sense. We can easily power the entire planet with solar/battery if we just had the guts to upscale. And for 11ct/kWh that can be done at competitive (to fossil fuel) cost.

Solar systems in hurricane prone areas are designed to withstand at least 140 mph winds.

Ah here is one more advantage of using the Tesla solar/battery combination. This one at residential level :
https://www.fastcompany.com/40467003/during-irmas-power-outages-some-houses-kept-the-lights-on-with-solar-and-batteries
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 06:12:10 AM by Rob Dekker »
This is our planet. This is our time.
Let's not waste either.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: September 16, 2017, 04:09:08 PM »
Hurricanes Irma and Harvey have racked up billions in damages. Who pays?
Who will pick up the tab in Florida, Georgia and Texas?

That's the big question, now that flood waters from Hurricanes Irma and Harvey have receded. Left behind is damage that Moody's Analytics expects will exceed $150 billion, on par with the cost of Hurricane Katrina.

After any major natural disaster, a patchwork of public and private actors step up to cover costs. Payouts from insurers, along with a miscellany of local, state and federal aid programs, will help those affected to pay for rebuilding.

Still, not everyone will be made whole again.

"Individuals will have to use some of their own resources, too," said Shahid Hamid, a professor of finance at Florida International University's College of Business. "Those who can afford it."

Here's a look at who's footing the bill. ...
http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/15/news/economy/irma-harvey-damage-who-pays/index.html

Forest Dweller

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: September 16, 2017, 04:10:57 PM »

What a strange remark. Kauai just switched to almost 100% renewable energy with that Tesla solar plant/battery system. And they lowered electricity cost from 30ct/kWh to 11ct/kWh.

The only people for which that is 'nightmarish' is the fossil fuel industry, since the Kauai example can be replicated everywhere.

Solar power is not a 'finite resource' in the practical sense. We can easily power the entire planet with solar/battery if we just had the guts to upscale. And for 11ct/kWh that can be done at competitive (to fossil fuel) cost.

Solar systems in hurricane prone areas are designed to withstand at least 140 mph winds.

Ah here is one more advantage of using the Tesla solar/battery combination. This one at residential level :
https://www.fastcompany.com/40467003/during-irmas-power-outages-some-houses-kept-the-lights-on-with-solar-and-batteries

I'm sure that would seem strange to many Rob, as they only consider the factor of industrial society's energy needs and potential.
To me there is no such thing as renewable energy however.
You don't need an energy source except food.

Look at the big picture, what are solar panels, windmills etc made of?
What resources shall we deplete, what child labour and slavery employ etc?
What environmental destruction shall we cause covering all of industrial dominated Earth with so called renewable energy sources?
It will buy climate some time perhaps yes.
It will piss off the fossil fuel industry yes, although they are probably powerful enough to dominate new markets as well.
The cost to our living planet will still be enormous, not renewable at all.
Oddly enough the people on North Sentinel haven't needed to worry about these predicaments for the last 60,000-80.000 years.
They live on 9 square miles mate...do you see what i'm getting at?
Fields of solar panels are a nightmarish sight compared to their tiny island, look it up!
Look it up and be impressed with their track record, compared to which ours is just a smelly fart in time.
So therefore i would always consider any industrialized location on Earth a nightmare compared to a natural location yes.

Here is a picture of that place looking much better then, sorry i almost forgot.
Tell me how a solar power setup does not look a nightmare compared to that ok?
 ;)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 04:16:16 PM by Forest Dweller »

Forest Dweller

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: September 16, 2017, 04:24:55 PM »
That is what our industrial culture calls paradise usually Rob, they pay big bucks to travel such places and usually destroy them too.
I believe this shot is after the great pacific tsunami from sattelite, during a fly-over to check up on them by Indian gvnmt as well it turned out they were fine...enough said.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #943 on: September 16, 2017, 05:26:57 PM »
FD, such a lifestyle as these people have would be called a nightmare by most people in developed nations, despite perhaps to have such vacations now and then. If all humanity lived in such conditions, someone would surely make the invention of energy, renewable or not. Actually, someone already did, back in 1750. So, I think people are looking for a solar/wind solution that can support these very human desires for improvements in living conditions and not ruin the atmosphere in the process. It does have environmental side effects, but less than the current alternative, which for most people isn't North Sentinel, but fossil BAU.
BTW, the best way to reduce humanity's impact on the environment is to limit the number of births. Ain't gonna happen of course. But surely higher chance than everybody going back to hunter gatherer.
(Just noticed this is wildly OT here).

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: September 16, 2017, 06:29:37 PM »
he linked reference indicates that we should know what the trend is for Atlantic storm surge in about 20 years from now, so in the meantime we can either hope for the best and do little (i.e. the Pollyanna approach), or we could prepare for the worse (following the Precautionary Principle):

Benjamin Seiyon Lee, Murali Haran & Klaus Keller (15 September 2017), "Multi-decadal scale detection time for potentially increasing Atlantic storm surges in a warming climate", Geophysical Research Letters, DOI: 10.1002/2017GL074606 

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2017GL074606/abstract?utm_content=buffer2fc08&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Extract: "Storm surges are key drivers of coastal flooding, which generate considerable risks. Strategies to manage these risks can hinge on the ability to (i) project the return periods of extreme storm surges and (ii) detect potential changes in their statistical properties. There are several lines of evidence linking rising global average temperatures and increasingly frequent extreme storm surges. This conclusion is, however, subject to considerable structural uncertainty. This leads to two main questions: What are projections under various plausible statistical models? How long would it take to distinguish among these plausible statistical models? We address these questions by analyzing observed and simulated storm surge data. We find that: (1) there is a positive correlation between global mean temperature rise and increasing frequencies of extreme storm surges; (2) there is considerable uncertainty underlying the strength of this relationship; and (3) if the frequency of storm surges is increasing, this increase can be detected within a multi-decadal time scale (≈ 20 years from now)."
― Leon C. Megginson

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #945 on: September 16, 2017, 09:03:08 PM »
It seems that tropical depression 15 is likely to do to the same places in the Caribbean that which Irma did, starting next Tuesday.  Will it reach Florida? Too early to say.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

logicmanPatrick

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • The Chatter Box
« Reply #946 on: September 16, 2017, 09:45:43 PM »
At 10 a.m., the center of Category 1 Hurricane Jose was about 480 miles south southeast of Cape Hatteras, N.C., and about 500 miles southwest of Bermuda, moving northwest at 9 mph, with maximum sustained winds of 80 mph. Forecasters  expect the storm's top winds to increase to 85 mph over the next two days before beginning to weaken slowly.

"Interests from North Carolina northward to New England on the east coast of the United States should monitor the progress of this system," said Hurricane Specialist Robbie Berg in a public advisory message. "Tropical storm watches may be needed for portiions of this area during the next day or two."

The Times Picayune

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: September 17, 2017, 12:39:33 AM »
5pm NHC update.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: September 17, 2017, 03:42:13 AM »
 :o

Tropical Storm #Maria is exactly what the Caribbean doesn't need. Now expected to be a major Cat 3 hurricane by Wednesday near Puerto Rico.
https://twitter.com/ericholthaus/status/909228324681068547

Forest Dweller

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: September 17, 2017, 10:41:23 AM »
Just when you been sitting on the edge of your seat and think you can relax, this season has you right back with nailbiting stuff.
Maria seems determined to either redo Irma, or just take out what Irma had missed for sake of completion on Hispaniola and elsewhere.
Or a bit of both.
The Red Cross and others must not be getting much sleep these days.
We should do a crowdfunding effort to give them free coffee first, so they can keep giving water to the victims.
Jokes aside, i hope preparations are scaled up everywhere.