Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Jason Group - Earth Turning to Mars?  (Read 4567 times)

Theta

• Frazil ice
  • Grips
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 1
Jason Group - Earth Turning to Mars?
« on: July 03, 2017, 12:13:35 AM »
Apparently, an insider from the Jason Group has stated that a meltdown of 450 nuclear power plants will destroy the atmosphere and turn earth to Mars. Given the chaotic nature of recent days, I thought I'd post the article about it and ask about it here (since this forum is very knowledgeable in the area of the dynamics of the atmosphere).

Article: https://guymcpherson.com/2017/02/faster-than-expected/
Can't think of a signature

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
Re: Jason Group - Earth Turning to Mars?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 12:33:30 AM »
Stuff from Guy McPherson is unreliable and not scientific. After one sentence it's obvious he's a catastrophist. I suggest to avoid.

Theta

• Frazil ice
  • Grips
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 12:34:52 AM »
Stuff from Guy McPherson is unreliable and not scientific. After one sentence it's obvious he's a catastrophist. I suggest to avoid.

I'm more interested in the insider who states it.

Reallybigbunny

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 12:42:17 AM »
Same as above!

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 01:10:38 AM »
If 450 nuclear power plants go BOOM, will anyone care what happens next?
Terry

Theta

• Frazil ice
  • Grips
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 01:11:33 AM »
If 450 nuclear power plants go BOOM, will anyone care what happens next?
Terry

The radiation and loss of earths atmosphere is a painful death

jai mitchell

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 207
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 01:52:34 AM »
mars lost its atmosphere because it cooled, lost its molten center and magnetic field and after hundreds of millions of years, the solar wind stripped it of its ATMOSPHERE

This 'theory' is not based in reality I would be surprised that Guy Mcphereson supports it, though I give him little credibility, I am sure that he has a stronger scientific background that that!

---------
Edit: 'magnetic field' to 'ATMOSPHERE'
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 05:39:31 PM by jai mitchell »
Haiku of Futures Passed
My "burning embers"
are not tri-color bar graphs
+3C today

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 06:02:51 AM »
"a meltdown of 450 nuclear power plants will destroy the atmosphere and turn earth to Mars"

no way. Assume worst case, 450 nukes eviscerated and their contents dumped in the stratosphere by a powerful demon. No way that turns Earth to Mars. Not even close.

sidd

Theta

• Frazil ice
  • Grips
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 12:17:27 PM »
mars lost its atmosphere because it cooled, lost its molten center and magnetic field and after hundreds of millions of years, the solar wind stripped it of its magnetic field. 

This 'theory' is not based in reality I would be surprised that Guy Mcphereson supports it, though I give him little credibility, I am sure that he has a stronger scientific background that that!

But in the article guy States that the source is from the pentagon Jason group so that should make it more credible

magnamentis

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 02:20:32 PM »

But in the article guy States that the source is from the pentagon Jason group so that should make it more credible

what jai says is proven fact, solar winds blew of mars atmosphere while the lack of some gravity due to mars's size is an additonal factor that was not mentioned but belongs to that complex.

if i say fact it means that there is really nothing to question about it anymore, no matter what any interest based entity tries to tell, probably to fool average citizen by preparing something that they have in the pipeline or on their agenda.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 05:25:44 PM »
mars lost its atmosphere because it cooled, lost its molten center and magnetic field and after hundreds of millions of years, the solar wind stripped it of its magnetic field. 

Theta, I recommend more skepticism towards "hype" sources

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 05:47:29 PM »

Theta, I recommend more skepticism towards "hype" sources
Read "On The Beach" "from the 1950s. A much more credible novel about the aftermath of all-out nuclear war.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Herfried

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2017, 06:18:30 PM »
The article is quite chaotic, inhomgenous... amd full of sensational claims far away from the hard ground of reality.

Indeed, a rather strong climatic shock is possible. The most aevere effect would be shifts of clima-zones and a nasty sea level rise. That would or will hit humanity, us. But its.not a threat for civilisation.

450 Chernobyls at once would do a blast. Indeed we are more sensible against radioactivity, than most other animals.  Still it would need way more to be critical. Even if combined with clima-shock.
Still our food and livestock will grow well. It wold be more toxic for us to eat and drink, cancer rates would soar up, and genetic diseases too. But neither we, nor the other complex life forms would be in danger.

A full fledged nuclear war, plus clima shock, plus multi-year long nuclear winter... This may be enough. Definitely it would disrupt civilization and infrastructure. Still, most of the other life forms, animals, plants can stand way more, than we. The clima double whack may caus a major extinctoon (see end of the non-avian dinosaurs), but likely it will be less severe = more species survive.
While redioactivity takes the toll on humanity, we are good surviving by being able to eat nearly everything, maybe we could survive but loose most of the technical advance.

Even Ozone layer disruption... Most of earth's species would not take THAT harm. Makes life more difficult, shorter (cancer), harms plant growth, but nothing too critical. Such periods happen ... this was never a mass extinction.

I absolutely doubt that we can burn enough Carbon to destabilize enogh Methane to go combined into an Eozene like warming, with tropical arctics and anoxic seas. Anoxic deep or even shallow seas, this could kill us by poisoning the atmosphere. Still, plants and many species would survive... they did. Muktiple times.

longwalks1

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 65
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2017, 07:10:48 PM »
"On The Beach", "Alas Babylon" and "Not this August" and other dystopian novels are available as free ebooks via FadedPage.com  I did enjoy working on the proofing on several.   All books on FadedPage are expired copyright via "death plus 50 years" and done in a similar method as Distributed Proofreaders, albeit via the independent entity of Distributed Proofreaders Canada.

More vetted sources that have shaped me are the early 1970's SciAmerican article on reactor safety with the final paragraphs opening up the possibility of sabotage or nuclear strike on reactors (they neglected the fuel pools),  the 1970's book Science in the Cause of Man by Gerard Piel (SciAm editor) about the consequences of a megaton warhead detonated at around 160 km, and the Science article from the early 1980's on nuclear winter would be a firmer foundation to a world view.  And more good reading would be the more recent paper by von Hippel et. al. on fuel pool safety which  you can get to the source via the UCS (Union of Concerned Scientists) web site "All Things Nuclear".       http://allthingsnuclear.org/elyman/science-article-may-2017

I did have 10 friends or acquaintances who went to Basra between 1995 and early 2003 and got the tour from a pediatric oncologist there.  It does appear that with the proper circumstances that oxidation of spent or depleted fuel  can result in particles that  exhibit Brownian motion.  Much disputation occurs about the details. 

peace out.