Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Divest from fossil fuels; Resources  (Read 1507 times)

xxo04358

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Divest from fossil fuels; Resources
« on: July 03, 2017, 10:49:47 AM »
My company pension scheme has a stakeholders meeting next week. I plan to make a proposal to that meeting that the pension fund divest all of its money from fossil fuel related stocks. There may be others here who have or are planning to do something similar. It would be good to have a single thread holding useful links to obtain data when preparing proposals of this type. Does anybody know good links? The more up to date the better. What would be useful would be following:

1) Economic studies showing how risky an investment in fossil fuel stocks is. The more economically respectable the institution and/or conservative writing the report the better. Making a good economic case must be the best way to produce a positive result at any meeting. If the report is recent enough to include the recent fall in oil price and therefore fall in oil stocks that would be even better.

2)Pension funds (being shareholders) should hold directors to account for irresponsible actions.  Reports on how fossil fuel companies are being reckless with shareholder's money re: spending billions exploring for oil which is likely to be worthless.

3) A concise summary of why it is a moral responsibility for investors to divest (aimed at a typical pension meeting crowd).

4) Examples of other pension funds and/or financial institutions divesting.

5) Anything else I missed?
cong ty hut be phot ha noi, dich vu giup viec nha tphcm

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
Re: Divest from fossil fuels; Resources
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 12:54:01 PM »
Welcome, xxo04358. Your profile has been released, so you can post freely now.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Divest from fossil fuels; Resources
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 07:52:58 PM »
xxo
Sounds like a wonderful initiative. Unfortunately I don't have anything to offer, other than my praise.

I'd assume that everyone is already trying to get out from under coal, and those still heavily invested are not going to be able to get much return on that investment. Oil, except for Tar Sand oil might still have investment potential going forward, but profitable oil is going to be harder to find. Gas might turn a profit in coming years, but there is presently a huge surplus, and it too may be hard to exit without taking a hit.
Rail freight is probably a bet on coal.

If dropping fossil fuel isn't possible, at least advising them to get out of coal & to be very careful of oil holdings might be a fall back position that the majority would approve.

Best of luck
Terry