Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Klaus Lackner's carbon capture from air  (Read 4049 times)

Lynn Shwadchuck

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
Klaus Lackner's carbon capture from air
« on: April 12, 2013, 11:18:34 PM »
This is news to me and very promising.
Still living in the bush in eastern Ontario. Gave up on growing annual veggies. Too much drought.

Lynn Shwadchuck

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
Re: Klaus Lackner's carbon capture from air
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 01:24:20 AM »
I saw Lackner on a panel from November 2012 where he said 100 million shipping container size boxes of this would clean up all the CO2 we produce. But in the first video I posted he talks about starting small, using the full filters to feed greenhouses.

At this point, McKibben's 'Fossil Fuel Resistance' seems so remote, I find myself grasping at techno-solutions like this.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 02:25:44 AM by Lynn Shwadchuck »
Still living in the bush in eastern Ontario. Gave up on growing annual veggies. Too much drought.

Stephen

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 31
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 12:49:05 PM »
This is news to me and very promising.

I tried to play that video twice and it stalled at the 1:18 mark both times.
The ice was here, the ice was there,   
The ice was all around:
It crack'd and growl'd, and roar'd and howl'd,   
Like noises in a swound!
  Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Lewis C

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 02:12:47 PM »
Lyn - Lackner is on record as stating his intention to provide technology to address the emissions of fossil fuel plants - with their profitability paying for the technology.
Thus while he can claim that 100 million shipping containers of the material would 'clean up' all the CO2 we produce, this leaves open a number of critical questions.

- What emissions are caused by the excavation, transport and loading of the >6 billion tonnes of feedstock mineral to the carbon capture devices each year ?

-What emissions are caused by the extraction, transport and disposal of >12 billion tonnes of carbon compound product each year ?

- Where exactly do we dispose of more than 12 thousand million tonnes of that mineral waste each year ? (For ease of conceiving of the volume, that's disposing of over 300 million truck-loads of 38 tonnes per year, or over 800,000 truckloads per day x 365 days per year).

- How is this technology relevant to the real issue of Carbon Recovery which is the capture and productive sequestration of over 500 billion tonnes of anthropogenic carbon that we'll have emitted to the atmosphere and the oceans, which has to be cleansed to resolve the problem of AGW ?

I'm sorry to say that Lackner's approach patently cannot be scaled to be relevant even for emissions reduction, let alone for the primary task of recovering our cumulative emissions.

Regards,

Lewis