Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Decline in insect populations  (Read 92183 times)

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2064
  • Likes Given: 2002
Re: Decline in insect populations
« Reply #300 on: April 21, 2022, 09:58:34 AM »
Climate change triggering global collapse in insect numbers: stressed farmland shows 63% decline – new research

The world may be facing a devastating “hidden” collapse in insect species due to the twin threats of climate change and habitat loss.

UCL’s Centre for Biodiversity & Environment Research has carried out one of the largest-ever assessments of insect declines around the world – assessing three-quarters of a million samples from around 6,000 sites.

The new study, published in Nature, finds that climate-stressed farmland possesses only half the number of insects, on average, and 25% fewer insect species than areas of natural habitat.

Insect declines are greatest in high-intensity farmland areas within tropical countries – where the combined effects of climate change and habitat loss are experienced most profoundly.

The majority of the world’s estimated 5.5 million species are thought to live in these regions – meaning the planet’s greatest abundances of insect life may be suffering collapses without us even realising.

Lowering the intensity of farming by using fewer chemicals, having a greater diversity of crops and preserving some natural habitat can mitigate the negative effects of habitat loss and climate change on insects.

Considering the choices we make as consumers – such as buying shade-grown coffee or cocoa – could also help protect insects and other creatures in the world’s most climate-vulnerable regions.

Long read

https://theconversation.com/climate-change-triggering-global-collapse-in-insect-numbers-stressed-farmland-shows-63-decline-new-research-170738

Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: May 05, 2022, 03:03:03 PM »
Survey of squashed bugs on number plates suggests ‘terrifying’ insect declines

The “Bugs Matter” survey asked members of the public to record the number of flying insects squashed on their number plate in 2019 and 2021, and compared it with data from a survey led by the RSPB using the same method in 2004.

Before making an essential journey in their vehicle, drivers cleaned their number plate, and afterwards counted the insects squashed on it using a “splatometer grid” supplied as part of the survey.

They then submitted a photo and count details via the Bugs Matter app and the data was converted into “splats per mile” to make it comparable between journeys.

The number of insects sampled on vehicle number plates fell by 59% between 2004 and 2021, the survey found.

The counts of insects such as moths, butterflies, flies, flying beetles and ants, aphids, wasps, bees and lacewings differed across the UK, with England seeing the biggest declines of 65% compared with 17 years ago.

Wales recorded 55% fewer insects, Scotland saw a drop of 28% compared with 2004 figures, and there were too few surveys in Northern Ireland to draw separate conclusions, the conservationists said.

Though the data showed significant drops in insects, drawing robust conclusions about long-term trends in insect populations would require data from multiple years, over long time periods, and over large spatial scales.

But the Bugs Matter citizen science survey has demonstrated that it has the potential to generate such data, they said.

Matt Shardlow, chief executive at Buglife, said: “This vital study suggests that the number of flying insects is declining by an average of 34% per decade, this is terrifying.

more on:
https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/survey-insects-rspb-northern-ireland-wales-b2071883.html
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

SimonF92

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #302 on: May 05, 2022, 05:28:18 PM »
On the contrary I think this suggests the bugs are getting better at avoiding getting splatted
Bunch of small python Arctic Apps:
https://github.com/SimonF92/Arctic

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5322
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #303 on: May 05, 2022, 07:32:54 PM »
On the contrary I think this suggests the bugs are getting better at avoiding getting splatted

??????????????
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

trm1958

• Frazil ice
  • Will civilization survive Climate Breakdown?
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 69
  • Likes Given: 216
« Reply #304 on: May 05, 2022, 07:40:03 PM »
Might be a joke, gerontocrat. Or maybe he is thinking behavioral evolution?

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 05, 2022, 09:29:14 PM »
Yeah maybe there should have been a smilee there.

One bit of anecdotal evidence to the contrary is that the annoying little flies that use to hover over the cycling lanes just to fly into my mouth are also usually missing even from prime spots. Many of our recent summers are hot and dry so hotter and drier then used to be the norm and that is not good for them. 

SimonF92

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 05, 2022, 10:01:18 PM »
Im not sure I am joking. Moths evolved different colorations over relatively short periods due to Victorian era pollution.

Maybe there is selection pressure on the bugs. Maybe they have acquired a trait to avoid large "grey" sparse areas. Bugs which go there are more likely to die. Is there any evidence to suggest bug splatting was not in decline prior to 2004, and this is emphasis of a continual trait selection.

So no, im on the fence about the requirement of a smiley

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 05, 2022, 10:18:05 PM »

Some fences are very narrow and have spikes on the top. Ouch?

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1022
  • Likes Given: 1063
« Reply #308 on: May 06, 2022, 12:29:21 AM »
I thought my conscious awareness of them may have been cause of the decline i was witness to , then splat , a buzzard , wings wide , bounces off the windscreen . btw , unharmed but a little ruffled , as was I . Smiley all you want , L)
There is no death , the Son of God is We .

SimonF92

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 06, 2022, 08:47:32 AM »

Some fences are very narrow and have spikes on the top. Ouch?

Very true, I haved lived to regret a few fence-sittings ;)

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 06, 2022, 12:56:05 PM »
Im not sure I am joking. Moths evolved different colorations over relatively short periods due to Victorian era pollution.

Maybe there is selection pressure on the bugs. Maybe they have acquired a trait to avoid large "grey" sparse areas. Bugs which go there are more likely to die. Is there any evidence to suggest bug splatting was not in decline prior to 2004, and this is emphasis of a continual trait selection.

Fair enough. Of course this type of citizen science is only recent so this specific dataset only goes back to 2004. I am pretty sure some similar research has been done before that. I think they used to count splats on windscreens. This whole research was started when someone wondered why so many less bugs where on the car 'these days'. Not sure when that was but some time before 2004 i think.

The changes in coloration for moths make sense because the more visible moths get caught before ones that hide better.

I don't think there is a selective pressures in insects for avoiding traffic incidents. Of course no one knows how much bugs die on number plates or cars vs the total amount of insects but i doubt it is an important amount so essentially this is a simple random sample.

As always the new research is some new data in a whole field of data. Plenty of examples on the previous pages.

PS: There is no avoidance for grey areas in insects i think. It's not like they actually see them as such. Dragonflies loved to follow pavement paths because before the sun warms them up they are colder then the grasses and plants on the sides so for them it looks just like streams of water.

The bugs i encountered on the bicycle also preferred certain shaded spots. And were mostly missing there for a couple of years. Last year they were back (cool spring and early summer). Of course the are no cars on the bicycle paths.

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3536
  • Likes Given: 762
« Reply #311 on: May 06, 2022, 01:34:33 PM »
Re: Windshield 'splats'

Car ‘Splatometer’ Tests Reveal Huge Decline In Number of Insects
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/feb/12/car-splatometer-tests-reveal-huge-decline-number-insects

Research shows abundance at sites in Europe has plunged by up to 80% in two decades

... The survey of insects hitting car windscreens in rural Denmark used data collected every summer from 1997 to 2017 and found an 80% decline in abundance. It also found a parallel decline in the number of swallows and martins, birds that live on insects.

https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,2180.msg249460.html#msg249460

February 12, 2020
There are 3 classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

Fiat iustitia, et pereat mundus

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #312 on: May 06, 2022, 05:39:14 PM »
Doing license plate splat research in the US would be problematic as 20 states issue only rear plates.  Hmmm, no bugs in Pennsylvania but lots of 'em in neighboring Ohio ...

An aside, in 1979 I found myself walking late at night on a rural road in eastern Uganda with others who had been in the Toyota Land Rover (matatu "taxi") before an erosion rut across the road prevented it from going father.  It was pitch dark but there were lots of fireflies around so staying on the road was easy. (It was mostly in good repair - there may have been two 'difficult' spots.)  After an hour or so we crested a hill and below us was a grass/shrubbery-covered (treeless) plain with billions of fireflies - everywhere except for where the road winded down the hill and into the distance.  Quite spectacular!  The "lots of fireflies" I'd seen in the roadway were as nothing compared with the density over the vegetation, once I had a from-above view.

(Yes, the next day I heard some machine gun fire in the distance - probably some rogue Ugandan soldiers [post-Tanzanian occupation] killing something to eat.)
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

SimonF92

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 06, 2022, 05:44:38 PM »

Fair enough. Of course this type of citizen science is only recent so this specific dataset only goes back to 2004. I am pretty sure some similar research has been done before that. I think they used to count splats on windscreens. This whole research was started when someone wondered why so many less bugs where on the car 'these days'. Not sure when that was but some time before 2004 i think.

The changes in coloration for moths make sense because the more visible moths get caught before ones that hide better.

I don't think there is a selective pressures in insects for avoiding traffic incidents. Of course no one knows how much bugs die on number plates or cars vs the total amount of insects but i doubt it is an important amount so essentially this is a simple random sample.

As always the new research is some new data in a whole field of data. Plenty of examples on the previous pages.

PS: There is no avoidance for grey areas in insects i think. It's not like they actually see them as such. Dragonflies loved to follow pavement paths because before the sun warms them up they are colder then the grasses and plants on the sides so for them it looks just like streams of water.

The bugs i encountered on the bicycle also preferred certain shaded spots. And were mostly missing there for a couple of years. Last year they were back (cool spring and early summer). Of course the are no cars on the bicycle paths.

Yeah, I agree, but this is the kind of place that you dont get hammered for spit-balling- one of the reasons I like it.

Everything I have said is probably baseless (and probably impossible to verify), but its still interesting bell-ringing of the correlation-vs-causation paradigm

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 01, 2022, 05:57:43 PM »
New Virus Variant Threatens Health of Bees Worldwide
https://phys.org/news/2022-06-virus-variant-threatens-health-bees.html

A dangerous variant of the deformed wing virus is on the rise worldwide. The virus infects honeybees, causing their wings to atrophy and the animals to die. The new variant, which has already replaced the original strain of the virus in Europe, is spreading to other regions of the world and causing entire bee colonies to collapse. This has been shown in a study by an international research team led by Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg (MLU), which analyzed data on the spread of virus variants over the past 20 years. The paper appeared in the International Journal for Parasitology: Parasites and Wildlife.

Deformed wing virus (DWV) is transmitted by the parasitic Varroa mite. "These mites not only transmit viruses between honeybees, they also eat the bees' tissues," explains Professor Robert Paxton, a bee researcher from MLU. He has been studying the spread of various pathogens in honeybees and wild bees for many years. "Deformed wing virus is definitely the biggest threat to honeybees," adds Paxton. The original strain of the virus ("DWV-A") was discovered in Japan in the early 1980s and the new variant "DWV-B" was first identified in the Netherlands in 2001. "Our laboratory studies have shown that the new variant kills bees faster and is more easily transmitted," says Paxton.

... "Our analyses show that the new variant has already gained a foothold in Europe and that it will only be a matter of time before it is the dominant form around the world," says Paxton. In the 2000s, the new variant was mainly found in Europe and Africa, the homeland of the honeybee. It was discovered in North and South America in the early 2010s, and in Asia in 2015. The virus variant has now been detected on all major landmasses with the exception of Australia. According to the researchers, this could be because the Varroa mite has not yet been able to spread widely there.

Evidence of the virus was also found in samples taken from large earth bumblebees. "Whether the virus will have similarly devastating consequences in bumblebees and other wild bees remains uncertain. So far, commercial bumblebee colonies infected with the virus are not dying at a significantly higher rate," says Paxton. There are various ways to protect honeybees from the Varroa mite and the virus: "The most important thing is to pay attention to hygiene in the hive. Here, simple measures can help to protect not only one's own colony from Varroa, but also wild bees that no one else is looking after," Paxton concludes.

Robert J. Paxton et al, Epidemiology of a major honey bee pathogen, deformed wing virus: potential worldwide replacement of genotype A by genotype B, International Journal for Parasitology: Parasites and Wildlife (2022).

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2213224422000451?via%3Dihub
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 12:06:49 AM by vox_mundi »
There are 3 classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: June 03, 2022, 05:07:00 PM »
40 Years of Conservation Data: Population Trends of Butterflies, Dragonflies and Grasshoppers
https://phys.org/news/2022-06-years-population-trends-butterflies-dragonflies.html

Sparse data often make it difficult to track how climate change is affecting populations of insect species. A new study by the Technical University of Munich (TUM) and the German Centre for Integrative Biodiversity Research (iDiv) has now evaluated an extensive species mapping database (Artenschutzkartierung, ASK) organized by the Bavarian State Office for the Environment (LfU) and assessed the population trends of butterflies, dragonflies and grasshoppers in Bavaria since 1980. The main finding of the Global Change Biology study: heat-loving species have been increasing.

... Using complex statistical methods, researchers at the TUM Chair of Terrestrial Ecology evaluated the valuable ASK data and analyzed the population trends of more than 200 species of insects in Bavaria—around 120 butterflies, 50 Orthoptera, and 60 dragonflies. In collaboration with many other experts, they showed in that across all these insect groups, there was an increase in the populations of warmth-loving species and a decline of species adapted to cooler temperatures.

Insects were divided into those that prefer warm temperatures and those that prefer cold temperatures on the basis of empirical data. "We determined the temperature preferences of each species using data on their distribution within Europe and the mean temperature in that area. In other words, species with a primarily northern distribution are cold-adapted species, and species with a primarily southern European distribution are warm-adapted species," says Eva Katharina Engelhardt, a doctoral student at the TUM BioChange Lab.

... "Our comparisons of the various groups of insects revealed significant differences," Engelhardt says. "Whilst there was more decline than increase in butterfly and Orthoptera species, the trends for dragonflies were largely positive." One possible reason for this is improvements in water quality over recent decades, a change that particularly benefits dragonflies, which depend on aquatic habitats. Habitat specialists, in other words species adapted to very specific ecosystems, experienced a decline. Butterflies such as the large heath or the cranberry blue are example specialists since they are dependent on very specific habitats. ...

Eva Katharina Engelhardt et al, Consistent signals of a warming climate in occupancy changes of three insect taxa over 40 years in central Europe, Global Change Biology (2022)
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/gcb.16200

... good news for cockroaches

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 19, 2022, 05:03:14 PM »
Where Are California's Bumble Bees?

Some of California’s most crucial insects seem to have gone missing. A new study suggests that populations of once-abundant bumble bee species in California may have experienced serious decline, after researchers conducted the first statewide survey of bumble bee species in 40 years.

Unlike their popular cousins, bumble bees don’t create honey for human consumption. But also unlike honey bees, bumble bees are native to North America and are crucial pollinators for native plants and flowers.

California is a particularly important place for bumble bees. The state is home to 25 different species of bumble bees—about half the total number of species in the country. Bumble bees originally developed on the Tibetan plateau, meaning they thrive in mountainous regions like the Sierra Nevada, an area rich in bee species.

But California is also a hotspot for the big problems that plague bees across the country. Human settlement in bee habitats is pushing them out. Agriculture in the Central Valley has decimated the grasslands where bees once thrived and introduced pesticides that can kill bumble bees or reduce important activity like foraging, reproducing, and eating, as well as potentially limiting the production of queens. And climate change is hitting ecosystems in the state hard, threatening bee habitats, spreading diseases, and causing disruptions as some flowers bloom earlier.

In the early 1980s, a famed entomologist named Robbin Thorp conducted a wide survey of bees in California, documenting broad patterns of bee populations in multiple habitats. Woodard said that this new survey was inspired by his work.

To conduct the survey, Woodard and her labmates visited 17 sites throughout California, representing a wide variety of bee habitats and six different ecosystems. At each site, they attempted to collect 100 bee samples, taking the bees back to their lab for identification.

The study, published in a recent issue of Ecology and Evolution, was not meant to be comprehensive, Woodard said, but was meant to give the researchers an idea of what species were present and common in each area.

For some species of bees, the results were disheartening but not unexpected. Woodard said she didn’t expect to find some rarer species—like Bombus franklini, or Franklin’s bumblebee, which was last sighted in 2006—in the survey, thanks to known declines in their population.

“Some of [California’s bees] have always been rare, but now they’re so rare that no one has seen them in more than 20 years,” she said.

But some of the results were much more surprising—and worrying. Bombus vosnesenskii, or the yellow-faced bumblebee, was the most common species of bee found in the study. But Woodard said that the range and sampling of this bee was much more limited than what it was back when Thorp was surveying the bees.

“I went to places where I should have seen it, and I couldn’t find it,” she said. “Relative to other species, it looks like it’s doing amazingly, but if you compare it to itself, you’re not seeing it where you used to see it. It was pretty upsetting.”

In fact, the collection of bees species at four sites in Southern California were not included in the study, since researchers couldn’t find more than 10 bees per site during their visits.

https://gizmodo.com/california-bumble-bees-missing-1849073085

Ktb

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 158
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #317 on: July 01, 2022, 08:31:46 AM »
Pre-print article from University of Queensland

Three quarters of insects are insufficiently covered by protected areas

Abstract
Insects dominate the biosphere, driving ecosystem processes and functions that sustain humanity, yet insect populations are plummeting worldwide1. Massive conservation efforts will be needed to halt and reverse these declines2,3. Protected areas (PAs) could play a decisive role in safeguarding insect species from extinction4, but progress so far in achieving coverage of insect distributions by PAs remains undocumented. Here we show that 67,384 of 89,151 insect species assessed globally (76%) do not meet minimum target levels of PA coverage. Nearly 1,900 species from 225 families do not overlap with PAs at all. Species with low PA coverage predominantly occur in North America, Eastern Europe, South and Southeast Asia, and Australasia. The Post 2020 Global Biodiversity Framework5 provides a unique opportunity for nations to guide new PA designations that specifically take account of the needs of insects. Efforts to map important biodiversity areas now need to be upscaled to ensure nations capture and safeguard insect diversity.

https://www.researchsquare.com/article/rs-1802901/v1
And, given a story to enact in which the world is a foe to be conquered, they will conquer it like a foe, and one day, inevitably, their foe will lie bleeding to death at their feet, as the world is now.
- Ishmael

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 24, 2022, 02:12:23 PM »
Plants Will Start Battling For Pollinators as Insects Decline. Losing Could Mean Exile

Ecological theory predicts that competition due to declines in pollinators could drive plants to even more varied strategies of interactions and habitat use to allure pollinators, which would increase plant diversity.

But another theory counters that as the number of pollinators declines, so do the chances that the same pollinator will visit the same type of rarer plants, meaning more common species will outcompete them, and that would reduce biodiversity.

As this is a scenario the world is heading towards – in the face of worrying insect declines and disease impacting our closest pollinating ally, the European honey bee – a team of researchers led by Princeton University ecologist Christopher Johnson put these competing theories to the test in field experiments.

Using 80, 2.25 m2 plots of paired annual plant species native to Switzerland, the researchers controlled how much pollination happened in some plots by hand. The rest had to rely on the normal environmental levels of pollination. Johnson and their team compared population and fitness measurements for each.

All five plant species used – field mustard (Sinapis arvensis), corn gromwell (Buglossoides arvensis), the common poppy (Papaver rhoeas), cornflower (Centaurea cyanus), and wild fennel (Nigella arvensis) – relied on general insect pollination, but corn gromwell could also self pollinate.

Another 22 replicate plots were enclosed, with half exposed only to one pollinator species and the rest to background environmental levels to simulate pollinator decline. For these plots, the researchers also measured floral visits by pollinators.

"For nine of ten species pairs, competition for pollinators weakened stabilizing niche differences between competitors," Johnson and colleagues write in their paper, meaning the paired species did not strike a new balance of interactions with each other within the shared pockets of the environment when pollination was reduced.

"These results support the hypothesis that pollinators destabilize plant competition by favoring more common plant species at the expense of their rarer competitors," the team concludes.

It seems when our incredible assortment of insect pollinators becomes scarce, each plant is in it for itself, grabbing at all the remaining pollinators' attention at the expense of their neighbors.

The ability to breed was three times greater for the common poppy, wild fennel, and cornflower when hand-pollinated than those relying on background pollination, showing these species are naturally self-limiting in order to strike balance with their neighbors.

But these plants are only that considerate to a point: The team identified weakening of this within-species competition as a major driver for destabilizing the multi-species communities.

The result created competition imbalances and exacerbated the average fitness differences between plant species: It reduced all pairs of plant species' ability to coexist with each other.

This could lead to the most common groups of plants exiling the rarer ones from their once thriving communities.

The researchers did not expect that this would occur so uniformly across all pairs of species. Since the study was done across a small area, and a short timescale, the researchers say that over time a new coexistence equilibrium could be established with some of the species.

Johnson and colleagues did however check to see if the pairwise interaction they measured differed when the plants were grown in more specious communities (three, four, and five species) and found that overall they did not, further supporting their conclusions.

https://www.sciencealert.com/neighboring-plants-will-start-battling-for-pollinators-as-insects-decline-losing-could-mean-exile

paywalled:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-022-04973-x

trm1958

• Frazil ice
  • Will civilization survive Climate Breakdown?
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 69
  • Likes Given: 216
« Reply #319 on: July 24, 2022, 03:14:24 PM »
Ecological theory predicts that competition due to declines in pollinators could drive plants to even more varied strategies of interactions and habitat use to allure pollinators, which would increase plant diversity.

But another theory counters that as the number of pollinators declines, so do the chances that the same pollinator will visit the same type of rarer plants, meaning more common species will outcompete them, and that would reduce biodiversity.
Maybe timescale is the critical factor. Plants devise strategies of interactions and habitat as they evolve, over a timescale of millennia. Pollinators pollinate over the course of a season, on a timescale of months.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: July 25, 2022, 05:11:28 PM »
Not sure. You see when the problem starts with a decline in pollinators and we are talking about plants that have multiple ones then that is no something that happens too often.

The second one makes more sense to me since the experiment was about stresses related to the amount of pollinators. So when there are less of them less plants can be visited. The are many variables. Are certain pollinators with certain specialties gone? Do the generalists have actual preferences which they can effortlessly fulfill if there is much less competition? Lot´s of unknowns.

In our current world things are moving so fast that time scale does not really factor into except for when.

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 17, 2022, 10:57:28 PM »
Monarch Butterfly Added to Endangered List, Worsening the Pollinator Crisis
https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/338842-monarch-butterfly-added-to-endangered-list-worsening-the-pollinator-crisis

Monarch butterflies are teetering on the edge of extinction, scientists say—and they’ll be gone soon if we don’t act fast.

The International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), a group of government and non-profit organizations working to “safeguard the natural world,” announced the monarch butterfly’s endangered status in late July. IUCN maintains something called the Red List, which is often regarded as the world’s most comprehensive scale upon which animal, fungi, and plant species’ conservation statuses are assessed. The list distributes species into nine categories: not evaluated, data deficient, least concern, near threatened, vulnerable, endangered, critically endangered, extinct in the wild, and extinct. As of writing, the Red List contains 147,517 species; 41,459 of them, now including the monarch butterfly, are endangered or worse.

The IUCN says deforestation has exacerbated what was previously a gradual, climate change-spurred decline in the species’ population. Fewer trees mean less shelter for the migratory butterflies, which normally spend time in California and Mexico during the winter. Agricultural pesticides and insecticides kill both monarchs and the milkweed their larvae feed on. Milkweed already faces enough difficulty between wildfires and drought; lackadaisical agricultural practices make it even tougher for the vital food source to survive.

The western monarch population (which is categorized as west of the Rocky Mountains) appears to be most at risk of extinction. The IUCN estimates this population has decreased by 99.9 percent between the 1980s and 2021, leaving only approximately 1,900 monarch butterflies behind. Meanwhile, the eastern population shrunk by about 84 percent between 1996 and 2014

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 17, 2022, 11:09:42 PM »
1900 is such a little number...especially for an insect species.  :(

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 18, 2022, 10:23:58 AM »
Bees have become ‘increasingly stressed’ by climate change

Species of bee could be lost forever due to climate change, scientists have warned.

The little insects play a very big role in the world’s food supply.

Bees – among the best pollinators in the world – are responsible for 70 of approximately 100 crop species that feed 90% of the world’s population.

But climate change has been harming bees for almost a century, according to new research.

Habitat loss caused by rising temperatures dates back to 1925 – much further than previously thought.

Scientists recently examined bumblebee specimens across the UK and identified ‘asymmetry’ – where by left and right wings developing disproportionately.

Findings revealed that bees first began to become stressed by the weather around 1925, and that it affected their normal growth.

The research team found that in hotter and wetter years the pollinators displayed greater ‘lop-sidedness’.

Previous research has found every square kilometre in the UK has lost an average of 11 species of bee between 1980 and 2013.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/08/18/science-bees-have-become-increasingly-stressed-by-climate-change-17202695

Better summary here:

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/239174/museum-collections-indicate-bees-increasingly-stressed/

OA paper:
Signatures of increasing environmental stress in bumblebee wings over the past century: Insights from museum specimens

https://besjournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1365-2656.13788

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: October 03, 2022, 09:49:34 PM »
Insects will struggle to keep pace with global temperature rise – which could be bad news for humans

Animals can only endure temperatures within a given range. The upper and lower temperatures of this range are called its critical thermal limits. As these limits are exceeded, an animal must either adjust or migrate to a cooler climate.

However, temperatures are rising across the world at a rapid pace. The record-breaking heatwaves experienced across Europe this summer are indicative of this. Heatwaves such as these can cause temperatures to regularly surpass critical thermal limits, endangering many species.

In a new study, my colleagues and I assessed how well 102 species of insect can adjust their critical thermal limits to survive temperature extremes. We found that insects have a weak capacity to do so, making them particularly vulnerable to climate change.

The impact of climate change on insects could have profound consequences for human life. Many insect species serve important ecological functions while the movement of others can disrupt the balance of ecosystems.

How do animals adjust to temperature extremes?
An animal can extend its critical thermal limits through either acclimation or adaptation.

Acclimation occurs within an animal’s lifetime (often within hours). It’s the process by which previous exposure helps give an animal or insect protection against later environmental stress. Humans acclimate to intense UV exposure through gradual tanning which later protects skin against harmful UV rays.

One way insects acclimate is by producing heat shock proteins in response to heat exposure. This prevents cells dying under temperature extremes.

A weak ability to adjust to temperature extremes
When exposed to a 1℃ change in temperature, we found that insects could only modify their upper thermal limit by around 10% and their lower limit by around 15% on average. In comparison, a separate study found that fish and crustaceans could modify their limits by around 30%.

But we found that there are windows during development where an insect has a greater tolerance towards heat. As juvenile insects are less mobile than adults, they are less able to use their behaviour to modify their temperature. A caterpillar in its cocoon stage, for example, cannot move into the shade to escape the heat.

Exposed to greater temperature variations, this immobile life stage has faced strong evolutionary pressure to develop mechanisms to withstand temperature stress. Juvenile insects generally had a greater capacity for acclimating to rising temperatures than adult insects. Juveniles were able to modify their upper thermal limit by 11% on average, compared to 7% for adults.

But given that their capacity to acclimate is still relatively weak and may fall as an insect leaves this life stage, the impact is likely to be limited for adjusting to future climate change.

What does this mean for the future?
A weak ability to adjust to higher temperatures will mean many insects will need to migrate to cooler climates in order to survive. The movement of insects into new environments could upset the delicate balance of ecosystems.

Insect pests account for the loss of 40% of global crop production. As their geographical distribution changes, pests could further threaten food security. A UN report from 2021 concluded that fall armyworm populations, which feed on crops such as maize, have already expanded their range due to climate change.

Insect species incapable of migrating may also become extinct. This is of concern because many insects perform important ecological functions. Three quarters of the crops produced globally are fertilised by pollinators. Their loss could cause a sharp reduction in global food production

https://theconversation.com/insects-will-struggle-to-keep-pace-with-global-temperature-rise-which-could-be-bad-news-for-humans-190791

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: October 12, 2022, 06:13:56 PM »
Trouble in the tropics: The terrestrial insects of Brazil are in decline

New research from Brazil shows terrestrial insects there are declining both in abundance and diversity, while aquatic insects are largely staying steady.

Given a dearth of long-term data on tropical insects, the scientists took creative means to collect data, including contacting 150 experts for their unpublished data.

Scientists believe the usual global suspects are behind Brazil’s insect decline: habitat destruction, pesticide use, and climate change.

Experts say tropical countries need more resources, including long-term funding, to discover with greater certainty what’s happening to insects there. Large-scale insect loss threatens many of Earth’s ecological services, including waste recycling, helping to build fertile soils, pollinating plants, and providing prey for numerous other species.

Long article:
https://news.mongabay.com/2022/10/trouble-in-the-tropics-the-terrestrial-insects-of-brazil-are-in-decline/

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: October 13, 2022, 07:47:35 PM »
Popular Herbicide Weakens Bumblebees' Color Vision
https://phys.org/news/2022-10-popular-herbicide-weakens-bumblebees-vision.html

Finnish researchers found how Roundup, a herbicide containing glyphosate, affects the learning and memory of bumblebees. Very low dose interfers with their ability to learn and memorize connections between colors and taste. Fine color vision weakening also severely impairs bumblebees' foraging and nesting success.

In the study, bumblebees were exposed to an very low acute dose of herbicide that pollinating bumblebees might be exposed to in a sprayed field during the day. After the exposure, the bumblebees' learning and memory were tested in a 10-color discrimination task, in which the bumblebees learned to associate five specific colors with a rewarding sugar solution and another five colors with an aversive quinine solution

Control bumblebees learned to distinguish colors associated with sweet sugar water from colors associated with a bad tasting compound and remembered what they learned after three days. Bumblebees exposed to the herbicide learned significantly less and forgot almost everything they had learned within a few days.

Individual forager bumblebees marked with a small number tag were exposed either to very low acute dose of glyphosate-based herbicide Roundup, or to sucrose (control). Thereafter, bees underwent five learning bouts in which they choose between artificial rewarding flowers (sucrose) or aversive flowers (quinine). Experimental bees were individually allowed to enter the arena with 10 different color flowers (two of each color) with a drop of sucrose or quinine.

During the five learning bouts control bees learned to differentiate between the rewarding and aversive flowers, and two days later they were able to remember all they had learned. However, learning of the Roundup exposed bees was declined within few hours from the exposure, and two days later in a memory test they had lost everything they had learned.

The researchers also found that the herbicide treatment did not affect bumblebees' performance in an easier two-color discrimination task or a 10-odor discrimination task. The results suggest that while exposure to Roundup does not make bumblebees completely color or smell blind, it does impair their fine color vision.

"We focused on the cognitive traits of the bees because these traits determine the successful foraging and social behavior of social insects and therefore their fitness. I am really worried. Even one very small acute dose had a harmful effect on the bumblebees," says researcher, Associate Professor Marjo Helander from the University of Turku, Finland.

"The result is even more worrying when you take into account how much glyphosate-containing herbicides are used globally," states Helander.

Marjo Helander et al, Field-realistic acute exposure to glyphosate-based herbicide impairs fine-color discrimination in bumblebees, Science of The Total Environment (2022)
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0048969722063975?via%3Dihub

Sebastian Jones

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 216
  • Likes Given: 159
« Reply #327 on: October 14, 2022, 04:02:57 AM »
It is astonishing that we need to do scientific studies to confirm  that poisons are poisonous.
It is staggering that we still allow poisons to be sprayed all over farms, fields and forests.
We really do not deserve this planet.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 17, 2022, 02:01:44 PM »
becoming less livable for bees.....

Honey bee life spans are 50% shorter today than they were 50 years ago
by University of Maryland

Nearman first noticed the decline in lifespan while conducting a study with entomology associate professor Dennis van Engelsdorp on standardized protocols for rearing adult bees in the laboratory. Replicating earlier studies, the researchers collected bee pupae from honey bee hives when the pupae were within 24 hours of emerging from the wax cells they are reared in. The collected bees finished growing in an incubator and were then kept as adults in special cages.

Nearman was evaluating the effect of supplementing the caged bees' sugar water diet with plain water to better mimic natural conditions when he noticed that, regardless of diet, the median lifespan of his caged bees was half that of caged bees in similar experiments in the 1970s. (17.7 days today versus 34.3 days in the 1970s.) This prompted a deeper review of published laboratory studies over the past 50 years.

"When I plotted the lifespans over time, I realized, wow, there's actually this huge time effect going on," Nearman said. "Standardized protocols for rearing honey bees in the lab weren't really formalized until the 2000s, so you would think that lifespans would be longer or unchanged, because we're getting better at this, right? Instead, we saw a doubling of mortality rate."

Although a laboratory environment is very different from a colony, historical records of lab-kept bees suggest a similar lifespan to colony bees, and scientists generally assume that isolated factors that reduce lifespan in one environment will also reduce it in another. Previous studies had also shown that in the real world, shorter honey bee lifespans corresponded to less foraging time and lower honey production. This is the first study to connect those factors to colony turnover rates.

When the team modeled the effect of a 50% reduction in lifespan on a beekeeping operation, where lost colonies are replaced annually, the resulting loss rates were around 33%. This is very similar to the average overwinter and annual loss rates of 30% and 40% reported by beekeepers over the past 14 years.

https://phys.org/news/2022-11-honey-bee-life-spans-shorter.html

FrostKing70

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 50
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #329 on: November 18, 2022, 12:05:46 AM »
The paper "" Pollinators in Peril: A Systematic Status Review of North American and Hawaiian Native Bees" expands beyond honey bees.

https://www.biologicaldiversity.org/publications/papers/

Attached screenshot is the executive summary:

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: February 08, 2023, 07:20:09 PM »
Protected areas fail to safeguard more than 75% of global insect species

nsects play crucial roles in almost every ecosystem -- they pollinate more than 80% of plants and are a major source of food for thousands of vertebrate species -- but insect populations are collapsing around the globe, and they continue to be overlooked by conservation efforts. Protected areas can safeguard threatened species but only if these threatened species actually live within the areas we protect. A new study publishing on February 1 in the journal One Earth found that 76% of insect species are not adequately covered by protected areas.

"It's high time we considered insects in conservation assessments," says lead author Shawan Chowdhury, a conservation biologist at the German Centre for Integrative Biodiversity Research (iDiv). "Countries must include insects in protected area planning and when managing the existing ones."

Although protected areas are known to actively shield many vertebrate species from key anthropogenic threats, the extent to which this is true for insects remains largely unknown. To determine what proportion of insect species are protected by protected areas, Chowdhury and colleagues overlaid species distribution data from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility with global maps of protected areas.

They found that 76% of global insect species are inadequately represented in protected areas, including several critically endangered insects such as the dinosaur ant, crimson Hawaiian damselfly, and harnessed tiger moth. Furthermore, the global distributions of 1,876 species from 225 families do not overlap with protected areas at all.

The authors were surprised by the degree of underrepresentation. "A lot of insect data come from protected areas, so we thought that the proportion of species covered by protected areas would be higher," says Chowdhury."The shortfall is also much more severe than a similar analysis that was conducted on vertebrate species, which found that 57% of 25,380 vertebrate species were inadequately covered."

Insects in some regions were better protected than others. Relatively high proportions of insect species achieved adequate protection in Amazonia, Saharo-Arabia, Western Australia, the Neotropics, the Afrotropics, and Central Europe, but protection fell short for many species in North America, Eastern Europe, South and Southeast Asia, and Australasia.

Insects have been historically overlooked by conservation programs, and this research was limited by the paucity of data on insect distributions. "Of the estimated 5.5 million insect species globally, we could only model the distributions of 89,151 species," says Chowdhury. "Over 80% of all animals are insects, yet insects comprise only 8% of the assessed species on the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species."

Even if insects live within protected areas, they may not be reaping the benefits of this "protection," says Chowdhury. "Many insect species are declining within protected areas because of threats such as rapid environmental change, loss of corridors, and roads inside protected areas."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2023/02/230201134201.htm

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 17, 2023, 05:03:13 PM »
Ants Aren’t Adapting to Warmer Temperatures

Ants are a bedrock of forest ecosystems, and they might not be adjusting well to warming temperatures.

In newly published research, scientists found that foraging ants preferred to gather food placed at specific temperatures but did not avoid food that was too hot or too cold. Long-term exposure to these hot, but sublethal, temperatures could be changing the ants’ food and energy usage, harming colonies and broader forest ecosystems.

Hotter temperatures force ants to use more energy to survive, said lead researcher Elsa Youngsteadt, an insect ecologist at North Carolina State University in Raleigh. “The question is now, Is there enough energy for ants to keep them going in this hotter situation?”

Warmer Climate, Warmer Ants
More than 20 quadrillion ants live on Earth (that’s 2.5 million ants for every human). These tiny invertebrates form the foundation of many ecosystems. They are soil aerators, seed dispersers, predators, and scavengers, Youngsteadt said. “They keep nutrients cycling through the system.” If we didn’t have ants in the forest, processes would slow down a lot, she explained.

Urban heat islands, which have a steep temperature gradient between their centers and their outer reaches, provide a nice proxy for a warming climate, Youngsteadt said. Ants in forested areas in and near the city live in warmer conditions than their comrades farther out. By studying individuals across the temperature gradient created by an urban heat island, scientists can start to understand how ants might respond to global warming over time.

The researchers collected specimens of five different ant species that live in the forests near Raleigh, a midsized urban area.

They placed those ants in laboratory enclosures that were heated to different temperatures. By placing food evenly along the temperature gradient, the team saw that different ant species preferred to forage at particular temperatures. The team also measured the hottest temperature the ants could handle and posed dead ants on the end of an ant thermometer to measure how the ants’ bodies respond to ambient temperatures.

The field observations showed that the ants avoided extremely hot and cold temperatures, but few of them avoided baits that were placed in hotter-than-preferred temperatures. The team found that ants avoided hotter baits only slightly more often than random.

“They didn’t adjust their behavior,” Youngsteadt said. “They didn’t become less active during the day or less active in the hottest parts of the site. They had a fixed routine, and they were sticking to it no matter what.” The result: Hotter sites had hotter ants.

Live Warm, Die Young
Youngsteadt noted that none of the field sites reached temperatures that would be lethal. “At some point, I expect that ants would eventually change their behavior,” she said. “But in this sublethal temperature range where the main consequence is that their metabolism is amping up—they might live faster, die younger—they’re certainly not doing things to avoid that kind of warming.”

Entomologists don’t know what the long-term consequences might be if ants don’t adjust their behaviors or evolve to warming environments. “That giant mass of life out there is now metabolizing faster or is hungrier. Energy is flowing differently,” Youngsteadt said. She and her colleagues are planning to study how ant colonies, which are more insulated than the foraging worker ants used in this study, respond to warmer temperatures. This research “raises a lot of questions about what [heat exposure] is doing for the colony economy of ants and what it’s doing for energy flow and ecosystems.”

https://eos.org/articles/ants-arent-adapting-to-warmer-temperatures

See article for more details or the paper:
Can behaviour and physiology mitigate effects of warming on ectotherms? A test in urban ants
https://besjournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1365-2656.13860

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 17, 2023, 02:49:17 PM »
Air pollution is not just a human problem -- it's also changing the gut of British bumblebees

The team are researching how air pollution affects bee's beneficial gut bacteria and microbiome composition, and the subsequent impact on bee health. Dr Hannah Sampson, first author on the study, explains "We know that pollution is a massive issue globally and we know that bee decline seems to be increasing over the last few years. Maybe they're linked, as bees are constantly exposed to these pollution particulates in the air."

The bumblebee has a delicate gut microbiome, that has coevolved with bee species over millions of years. The balance of the bacteria in the bee gut microbiome is vital to maintaining bee health, and any disruption to this microbiome could pose a risk not only to bee health but to pollination and global food security. Snodgrassella alvi is a beneficial member of the bee gut microbiome, that colonises bees' large intestine in a structure called a biofilm. A biofilm is a protective matrix that promotes bacterial colonisation on surfaces (e.g. like plaque on teeth). S. alvi is especially important as it is one of the initial colonisers of the bee gut microbiome.

Dr Sampson, part of the air pollution bacteria team led by Professor Morrissey at the University of Leicester, grew S. alvi in lab conditions and exposed it to black carbon air pollution. She found that exposure to black carbon changed the behaviour of S. alvi and the structure and formation of the bacteria's biofilm. This is worrying as any disruption to this could have knock-on effects to the overall composition and function of the bee gut microbiome.

Researchers also looked at the effects of black carbon pollution on live bumblebees. They sampled bees before and after exposure and measured the abundance of bacteria in their gut to observe any differences. The researchers found that there was a significant change in the abundance of two beneficial bacteria that are vital to the health of the bee gut microbiome.

Whilst Dr Sampson urges caution on concluding that air pollution directly contributes to bee population decline from this initial study, she is clear on the importance of understanding this interaction to learn how to better protect our planet: "More research needs to take place as air pollution is having a much greater impact than we think. Air pollution affects microbial communities. Changes to these important communities could have detrimental effects on lots of different ecosystems that affect bees and also directly affect humans."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2023/04/230413154455.htm

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 185
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #333 on: April 17, 2023, 08:17:19 PM »
Beekeepers in Belgium lost 75% of their bees during the winter . And they have no idea why that's happening. https://www.hln.be/binnenland/driekwart-bijen-heeft-winter-niet-overleefd-imkers-met-de-handen-in-het-haar-dat-we-niet-weten-hoe-het-komt-is-het-ergste~a62ae200/

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 28, 2023, 04:46:09 PM »
Worldwide Insect Decline: Causes, Consequences and Potential Countermeasures
https://phys.org/news/2023-04-worldwide-insect-decline-consequences-potential.html

Throughout the world, we are witnessing not just a decline in the numbers of individual insects, but also a collapse of insect diversity. Major causes of this worrying trend are land-use intensification in the form of greater utilization for agriculture and building development as well as climate change and the spread of invasive animal species as a result of human trade.

These are the main conclusions reached in the special feature on insect decline that recently appeared in Biology Letters. The special issue authored by Menzel, Gossner and Simons includes 12 research-related articles, two opinion papers, and an extensive editorial.

... "As evidence of an ongoing global crash in insect populations increased over the last few years, we decided it was time to edit and publish this special issue. Our aim was not to document insect population declines but to better understand their causes and consequences," said Menzel.

"In view of the results available to us, we learned that not just land-use intensification, global warming, and the escalating dispersal of invasive species are the main drivers of the global disappearance of insects, but also that these drivers interact with each other," added Menzel.

For example, ecosystems deteriorated by humans are more susceptible to climate change and so are their insect communities. Added to this, invasive species can establish easier in habitats damaged by human land-use and displace the native species. Hence, while many insect species decline or go extinct, few others, including invasive species, thrive and increase. This leads to an increasing homogenization of the insect communities across habitats.

"It looks as if it is the specialized insect species that suffer most, while the more generalized species tend to survive. This is why we are now finding more insects capable of living nearly anywhere while those species that need specific habitats are on the wane," Menzel pointed out. The consequences of this development are numerous and generally detrimental for the ecosystems. For example, the loss of bumblebee diversity has resulted in a concomitant decline in plants that rely on certain bumblebee species for pollination.

"Generally speaking, a decline in insect diversity threatens the stability of ecosystems. Fewer species means that there are fewer insects capable of pollinating plants and keeping pests in check. And, of course, this also means that there is less food available for insect-eating birds and other animals. Their continued existence can thus be placed at risk due to the decline in insect numbers," emphasized Menzel. ...

Martin M. Gossner et al, Less overall, but more of the same: drivers of insect population trends lead to community homogenization, Biology Letters (2023)
https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rsbl.2023.0007

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1049
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #335 on: April 28, 2023, 10:08:23 PM »
I'm seeing a lot more bees in the midwest USA this year than last year. I was quite shocking last year, i barely saw a few all season. But this year there seem to be many more.

sidd

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 15, 2023, 07:11:42 PM »
Evidence Found of Electromagnetic Fields from Electrical Towers Disrupting Pollinating Honeybees
https://phys.org/news/2023-05-evidence-electromagnetic-fields-electrical-towers.html

A multi-institutional team of biologists and ecologists from Chile and Argentina has found evidence suggesting that electromagnetic fields emanating from electrical towers disrupt pollinating honeybees. The research is published in the journal Science Advances

Prior research has suggested that electromagnetic radiation emitted from power lines may interfere with plants and animals in the vicinity—though some have suggested that the unique habitat of the treeless regions where power lines pass through forests may confer some natural benefit.

In this new effort, the research team focused specifically on the impact of electromagnetic radiation emitted from electrical towers on honeybees—they chose honeybees because prior research has shown they navigate using natural electromagnetic fields. And they chose to use electrical towers rather than power lines themselves because they had access to similar towers without power lines, allowing for comparison purposes.

The researchers first counted the number of poppies flowering around active towers and towers that were inactive—they found there were far fewer flowering around the active towers. The researchers also measured the electromagnetic fields around multiple towers to discover how strong they were at various distances.

They then collected several honeybee specimens flying at different distances from a tower and measured the levels of a protein called HsP70 in their bodies—this protein has been shown to be related to stress in the bees. As expected, they found higher levels in the bees working closest to the electrical towers.

The research team then collected more honeybee specimens at a distance from any towers or lines and brought them back to their lab for study. They exposed them to different amounts of electromagnetic radiation and then measured expressions related to 14 genes known to be associated with navigation, stress and the immune system. They found differences in 12 of those exposed to electromagnetic radiation.

The team finished their study by once more venturing into the field to study the bees working closely to electrical towers—they found that the frequency of visits to a nearest flower that were closest to a tower were approximately 308% lower than in areas where there were no towers.

The group concludes that electromagnetic fields around electrical towers have a detrimental impact on honeybee pollination, and by extension, the surrounding plant community.

Marco A. Molina-Montenegro et al, Electromagnetic fields disrupt the pollination service by honeybees, Science Advances (2023).
https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/sciadv.adh1455

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 15, 2023, 11:54:57 PM »
At the end of the Civil War that ended up with the breakup of Yugoslavia, I was living just outside Mostar. An old guy took me for a walk through a valley with cherry orchards and he pointed out that the cherry trees under the high-tension electricity line that went through the valley were in poor shape (as was the high-tension line - continually buzzing)- little fruit of bad quality and the trees themselves looked very unhappy.

& after all these years a scientific study that supports the obvious conclusion from my little field study that strong electromagnetic fields may not be good for nature.

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
  • Liked: 118
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #338 on: May 16, 2023, 05:56:24 AM »
an older story - they have clearly not recovered, and maybe never will.

A 99.5% decline’: what caused Australia’s bogong moth catastrophe?

The loss of any species is a tragedy, but the rapid disappearance of bogong moths has much wider effects
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/dec/18/a-995-decline-what-caused-australias-bogong-moth-catastrophe

and mentioned earlier from kassy in 2019
https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,2305.msg229074.html#msg229074
It's wealth, constantly seeking more wealth, to better seek still more wealth. Building wealth off of destruction. That's what's consuming the world. And is driving humans crazy at the same time.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 22, 2023, 11:32:53 AM »
Study finds carrying pollen heats up bumble bees, raises new climate change questions

A new study from North Carolina State University finds carrying pollen is a workout that significantly increases the body temperature of bumble bees. This new understanding of active bumble bee body temperatures raises questions about how these species will be impacted by a warmer world due to climate change.

And while bees may seem to move from flower to flower with ease, these pollen packets can weigh up to a third of their body weight. This new study found that—after accounting for environmental temperature and body size—the body temperature of bumble bees carrying pollen was significantly hotter than the temperature of bees that were empty-legged.

Specifically, the researchers found that bee body temperatures rose 0.07°C for every milligram of pollen that they carried, with fully laden bees being 2°C warmer than unladen bees.

Like ants and other ectotherms, the body temperature of a bumble bee is mostly determined by the environment. Among bees, bumble bees are exceptionally cold tolerant and will shiver to warm up during cold days. However, not much is known about how they can tolerate heat.

Since pollen-laden bumble bees are hotter than unladen ones, this could mean that carrying a full load of pollen on a hot day puts bees at greater risk of reaching the potentially lethal end of their temperature tolerance.

"Getting warmer from carrying pollen could put bumble bees in the range of those stressful, critically hot temperatures," says Malia Naumchik, a former applied ecology minor undergraduate and lead author of the study. "This has important implications for bumble bees and climate change. As environmental temperatures increase, the bees' operational range of temperatures could shrink significantly."

Bumble bee numbers and species diversity is on the decline across the world, particularly in areas that are warming up due to climate change. But the exact mechanics of how climate change is impacting bumble bees are not yet fully understood. This finding could be one piece of that puzzle.

We need to know how bumble bees may change their behavior, to better understand how this could affect how much pollen they collect and how much pollination they perform during hot days," says Elsa Youngsteadt, a professor in applied ecology and supervisor of Malia's research.

"Whether it's carrying smaller loads of pollen or foraging for shorter times, it could result in less pollen coming to the colony and fewer plants being pollinated. This is particularly important since bumble bees provide critical ecosystem services and are key pollinators for agriculture, especially in the United States and Europe."

The paper, "Larger pollen loads increase risk of heat stress in foraging bumblebees" is published in Biology Letters.

https://phys.org/news/2023-05-pollen-bumble-bees-climate.html

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 07, 2023, 10:55:57 AM »
The productivity of brine flies is tied to the overall health of salt lake ecosystems; both are in decline

Indeed, inland salt lakes are vital ecosystems for foraging water birds. Every year hundreds of thousands of birds, often on long migratory journeys between North and South America, can visit these lakes; having a productive, dependable food source waiting for them is crucial to the viability of many species. Brine flies are essential items on their menu.

Larvae of the alkali fly Cirrula hians are adapted to life in alkaline salt lakes by virtue of the ability to keep their internal body fluids at a constant concentration of solutes (dissolved minerals) even as lake external salt content varies — a process known as osmoregulation. These lakes are often several times as salty as seawater, Herbst explained, but they contain a mixture of minerals such as bicarbonate of soda, sulfate and chloride. Osmoregulation requires energy to operate the metabolic machinery that rids the fly larvae of excess solutes.

“The research findings show that with rising salinity and osmoregulatory costs, the growth of larvae is curtailed,” Herbst said, “and though development time is prolonged, the mature size of pupae becomes smaller and fewer adult flies emerge from these pupae, and those that do emerge have lowered reproductive success.”

In short, in lakes where salinity is rising, the productivity of brine fly populations is diminishing.

https://www.news.ucsb.edu/2023/020893/small-insect-big-impact

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 07, 2023, 11:01:24 AM »
Weather anomalies are keeping insects active longer

As Earth's climate continues to warm due to the emission of greenhouse gasses, extreme and anomalous weather events are becoming more common. But predicting and analyzing the effects of what is, by definition, an anomaly can be tricky.

Scientists say museum specimens can help. In the first study of its kind, researchers at the University of Florida used natural history specimens to show that unseasonably warm and cold days can prolong the active period of moths and butterflies by nearly a month.

"The results are not at all what we expected," said lead author Robert Guralnick, curator of biodiversity informatics at the Florida Museum of Natural History.

Most studies view climate change and its consequences through a periscope of average temperature increases. As temperature goes up over time, the plants and animals in a particular region become active earlier in the spring, delay dormancy until later in the fall and slowly shift their ranges to align with the climate in which they're best suited to survive.

Erratic weather adds a layer of complexity to these patterns, with unknown consequences that erect an opaque screen ahead of scientists attempting to predict the future of global ecosystems.

"There had been hints in the scientific literature that weather anomalies can have cumulative effects on ecosystems, but there wasn't anything that directly addressed this question at a broad scale," Guralnick said.

This omission, he explained, was due primarily to a lack of sufficient data. While climate data has been reliably collected in many areas of the world for more than a century, records documenting the location and activity of organisms are harder to come by.

Natural history museums have been increasingly regarded as a potential solution. The oldest museums have accumulated specimens for hundreds of years, and recent efforts to digitize collections have made their contents widely available. But digital museum records come with their own unique pitfalls and drawbacks.

In 2022, study co-author Michael Belitz constructed a dataset of moths and butterflies from museum collections to chart a course for other researchers hoping to use similar data. The result was a comprehensive instruction manual for how to gather, organize and analyze information from natural history specimens.

With this robust resource at their disposal, Belitz and his colleagues wanted to see if they could detect a signal from aberrant weather patterns. Restricting their analyses to the eastern United States, the authors used records for 139 moth and butterfly species collected from the 1940s through the 2010s.

Their results were unequivocal: Unusually warm and cold weather has significantly altered insect activity to a greater extent than the average increase in global temperature for the last several decades.

The location and timing of extreme weather events influenced how insects responded. In higher latitudes, warm days in winter meant moths and butterflies became active earlier in the spring. Unusually cold days kept insects at all latitudes active longer, and the combination of exceptionally high and low temperatures had the strongest effect.

"If you have a succession of abnormally cold and warm days, it limits the ability of insects to function at peak performance," Guralnick said. "If cold doesn't kill you, it slows you down, and it might force insects into a torpor. Insects can recover from the cold snaps pretty quickly and go on to have longer lifespans as a direct result of sudden temperature declines."

Insects being active for longer periods of time might initially seem like a good thing. But rather than a counterweight to the negative repercussions of climate change, co-author Lindsay Campbell -- who studies mosquitos -- points out that longer or altered insect lifespans may also mean more opportunities for pathogen transmission.

"There's a correlation between El Niño and rift valley fever outbreaks in East Africa, and there are anecdotal observations that show unusually warm or hot and dry springs, followed by a heavy precipitation event, are also linked with increased outbreaks," said Campbell, an assistant professor at the University of Florida.

Long-term ecosystem stability is also entirely dependent on the synchronized activity of its constituent parts, and plants may not respond to extreme weather in the same way as insects. If moths and butterflies take flight too early, they risk encountering plants that haven't yet produced leaves or flowers, expending their energy in a vain search for food.

And with a constantly shifting baseline for what constitutes 'extreme,' it's unclear if insects will be able to keep pace with the changes.

"As average temperature and climate variability increases, an organism's resilience is going to drop precipitously," Guralnick said. "The extreme events of today are going to become much more extreme in the future, and at some point, the capacity to buffer against these changes is going to reach its limit."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2023/06/230605181328.htm

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 19, 2023, 06:34:14 PM »
Devon seeing a boom in dragonfly populations, expert says

Severe drought in Europe has caused an explosion in migrant dragonfly populations in Devon, an expert says.

Dave Smallshire, the Devon recorder with the British Dragonfly Society, said recent warm weather had made the county an "escape zone" for migrating dragonflies.

He said there were nearly three times more sightings of the insect in the county than an average year.

"We are undoubtedly getting things that are fleeing," he said.

"They are looking for a climate that is suitable to them and we have had the most wonderful four weeks or so of hot, sunny and dry weather with light winds and that is absolutely perfect for the adult dragonflies."

Mr Smallshire, from Chudleigh, said severe droughts in the Mediterranean had dried out the wetlands in which dragonflies live, forcing them north.

Easterly and north-easterly winds have then dispersed them in the direction of southern England, he added.

Mr Smallshire said the vagrant emperor species of dragonfly could be migrating from as far south as the Sahara.

"I would say we are an escape zone," he said.

"We're a degree warmer than we were 50 years ago and that makes a big difference if you're a dragonfly."

'Juicy protein packs'

The odonatologist said the boom in dragonflies was good news for some species of birds that have struggled to find food.

"One of the reasons house sparrows have been doing very badly in the last decade in Britain is the chicks have been starving - they do not have enough insect food to eat," he said.

"Dragonflies are big, juicy protein packs."

The county has about 30 species of dragonflies and damselflies - none of which will survive the winter, Mr Smallshire said.

Dragonflies spend most of their lives underwater but after emerging as adults, they can survive for as long as two to three months.

Mr Smallshire added that recent hot weather that brought migrant dragonflies to UK in the first place may also eventually cause wetlands to dry out here.

He said: "Ponds and streams, and rivers in some cases, are under threat."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-devon-65944032

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: July 19, 2023, 07:45:01 AM »
Bees are waking up an average of 6.5 days earlier for every degree Celsius rise in temperature, according to research

Bees in Britain are waking up earlier due to climate change – and this is threatening the pollination of some crops, scientists are warning.Research, published in the journal Ecology and Evolution, found they are waking up an average of 6.5 days earlier for every degree Celsius rise in temperature.And this means they are at risk of losing sync with the plants they depend on say the researchers from the University of Reading.As a result, they may not have enough energy to pollinate crops – for example, apples and pears, effectively – or at all.The scientists examined 88 different species of wild bees over 40 years for their research, analysing more than 350,000 individual recordings.They found that the temperature-related changes in their emergence dates were linked to climate change.

https://www.veganfoodandliving.com/news/bees-waking-earlier-climate-change/

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 19, 2023, 07:46:47 AM »
Air pollution particles may be cause of dramatic drop in global insect numbers

Researchers from the University of Melbourne, Beijing Forestry University, and the University of California Davis report that an insect's ability to find food and a mate is reduced when their antennae are contaminated by particulate matter from industry, transport, bushfires, and other sources of air pollution.

University of Melbourne researcher Professor Mark Elgar, who co-authored the paper published today in Nature Communications, said the study was alerting humans to a potentially significant risk to insect populations.

"While we know that particulate matter exposure can affect the health of organisms, including insects, our research shows that it also reduces insects' crucial ability to detect odours for finding food and mates," Professor Elgar said.

"This could result in declining populations, including after bushfires and in habitats far from the pollution source.

"About 40 per cent of Earth's landmass is exposed to particle air pollution concentrations above the World Health Organisation's recommended annual average.

"Surprisingly, this includes many remote and comparatively pristine habitats and areas of ecological significance -- because particulate material can be carried thousands of kilometres by air currents," Professor Elgar said.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2023/07/230712124747.htm

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: September 05, 2023, 10:07:19 PM »
Three Out of Four Populations of Rare Butterflies In Eastern Denmark Have Been Lost
https://phys.org/news/2023-09-populations-rare-butterflies-eastern-denmark.html

In just 26 years, the distribution of rare butterflies has plummeted by 72% in Eastern Denmark. Several species are threatened with extinction, yet the conservation actions aiming to safeguard species have proved unsuccessful. This is the conclusion of a comprehensive study from the University of Copenhagen published in the journal Biological Conservation.

... Many of Denmark's butterfly species have been in sharp decline for decades, a trend that continues at breakneck speed according to research from the University of Copenhagen. On top of that, current nature conservation efforts do not seem to be helping the rarer species, as was intended.

Data collected over six years by biologist Emil Blicher Bjerregård establishes just how drastic the decline is for twenty-two rare butterfly species across Eastern Denmark. Several of these species are critically endangered.

"The distribution of the twenty-two butterfly species we've been monitoring on Zealand, Lolland, Falster and Møn has shrunk by 72% since 1993. All but one of the species have declined, and several of them only have one local population left. I wouldn't be surprised if at least eight of the species become extinct in a few years. These include the pearl-bordered fritillary, mazarine blue and northern chequered skipper," says Bjerregård.

"The data are very robust and they unveils dramatic numbers which appear to be worse than in our neighboring countries. Many once common and widespread species in Denmark have become very rare. And once they're gone, they won't return," says Associate Professor Hans Henrik Bruun, the study's senior author.

... "Most of the butterfly occurrence sites are formally protected and have been so for decades. But we don't see any signs that legal area protection—neither national nor EU's Natura2000—has had any positive impact for the rarer butterfly species over the past 30 years," says Bruun.

Emil Blicher Bjerregård et al, Rapid and continuing regional decline of butterflies in eastern Denmark 1993-2019, Biological Conservation (2023).
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0006320723003099?via%3Dihub

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: September 13, 2023, 08:18:35 PM »
European Bumblebee Populations Projected to Plummet
https://phys.org/news/2023-09-european-bumblebee-populations-plummet.html

Populations of European bumblebees are projected to fall drastically in the coming decades due to climate change and habitat loss, researchers warned on Wednesday.

Bumblebees are used to the cooler temperatures of the Northern Hemisphere, and a warming world caused by human-caused climate change is putting them increasingly under threat, according to the study in the journal Nature.

A team of Belgian researchers collected data on 46 bumblebee species across Europe, assessing the past (1901-1970) and present 2001-2014), comprising more than 400,000 different observations. They combined this data with the latest modeling from the UN's IPCC climate change panel as well as predictions of changes in land use.

Under the worst-case scenario, they found that "up to 75 percent of bumblebee species which are not currently threatened will see their distribution area shrink 30 percent by 2061-2080," lead author Guillaume Ghisbain of the Universite Libre de Bruxelles told AFP.

This means that most of the European bumblebees currently classified as of "least concern" on the IUCN's list of threatened species could fall into the endangered category.

Bumblebee species in Arctic or alpine environments may even be pushed to the edge of extinction, with an expected loss of 90 percent of their habitat.

... Heat waves intensified by global warming pose an even bigger threat. Apart from a few resistant species, bumblebees are particularly sensitive to heat.

"We observed this in our laboratory one day when the air conditioning broke down—it was 40 degrees Celsius (104 Fahrenheit) and our colonies died in less than an hour,"
Rasmont said.

Guillaume Ghisbain et al, Projected decline in European bumblebee populations in the twenty-first century, Nature (2023)
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-023-06471-0
« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 11:57:55 PM by vox_mundi »

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: September 20, 2023, 04:20:48 PM »
Australia Gives Up Fight to Eradicate Bee-Killing Parasite
https://phys.org/news/2023-09-australia-eradicate-varroa-mite.html

Australia on Wednesday abandoned its fight to eradicate the destructive Varroa mite, an invasive parasite responsible for the collapse of honeybee populations across the planet.

esperate to keep Varroa out of the country, authorities have destroyed more than 14,000 infected beehives since the tiny red-brown pest was first detected north of Sydney in June 2022.

The government on Wednesday conceded its US$64 million eradication plan could not stop the mite from spreading, saying the country's beekeepers should now prepare to live with the incursion.

"The recent spike in new detections have made it clear that the Varroa mite infestation is more widespread and has also been present for longer than first thought," officials said in a statement.

Australia was one of the last major beekeeping countries to successfully keep Varroa at bay.

Australia's native honeybees have proven resilient to Varroa mites but do not currently play a major role in honey production or agricultural pollination.

University of Sunshine Coast researcher Volker Herzig said the "final nail in the coffin" was a government decision that allowed beekeepers to transport their hives across state boundaries to help with pollination.

Every year, some 270,000 beehives are trucked into the state of Victoria to pollinate almond orchards—an annual pilgrimage billed as the "largest movement of livestock" in Australia.

.... "The impacts of this decision will be felt for decades to come in how beekeepers manage their hives and how farmers pollinate their crops," he said.

"In particular, farmers may not be able to rely on passive pollination from feral honeybees any longer." (... what was once free, will cost)

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: October 02, 2023, 05:21:14 PM »
Important additional driver of insect decline identified: Weather explains the decline and rise of insect biomass over 34 years

Insects react sensitively when temperature and precipitation deviate from the long-term average. In an unusually dry and warm winter, their survival probabilities are reduced; in a wet and cold spring, hatching success is impaired. A cool, wet summer hampers bumblebees and other flying insects to reproduce and forage.

If several such weather anomalies occur in combination and over several years, this can lead to a decline in insect biomass on a large scale and in the long term. This is shown in a new report in the journal Nature.

According to the report, weather conditions and accumulations of unfavourable weather anomalies in the course of climate change can be important drivers of global insect decline. Only insect populations with a large number of individuals, as found in sufficiently large and high-quality habitats, appear to be able to survive under such adverse conditions.

Because of these new findings, the authors of the Nature report plead for more high-quality habitats. These are characterised by plants that are typical of near-natural habitats, by high structural richness or extensive use. The report is from the research team of Jörg Müller (University of Würzburg and Bavarian Forest National Park) in cooperation with the TU Dresden (Sebastian Seibold) and the Berchtesgaden National Park as well as the TU Munich (Annette Menzel, Ye Yuan) and the University of Zurich (Torsten Hothorn). The researchers involved are jointly searching for new insights and counter-strategies to insect decline.

This is how the New Findings Came About

In the spring of 2022, Würzburg ecology professor Jörg Müller noticed that there were an astonishing number of insects to be found in forests and meadows. This made him wonder -- after all, more and more scientific studies have been published in recent years proving that insects are declining worldwide.

The study that caused the biggest stir came from a group led by Dutch researcher Caspar A. Hallmann in 2017, in which data from the Krefeld Entomological Association was analysed. The study revealed that the insect biomass in German nature reserves decreased by more than 75 percent between 1989 and 2016.

advertisement
"The data from the study show that there was a dramatic collapse in 2005 and no recovery in the years that followed," says Jörg Müller, who is Professor of Animal Ecology at the Biocentre of Julius-Maximilians-Universität Würzburg (JMU). So could the large amount of insects he "felt" in 2022 be real?

In 2022, many insects were doing relatively well

Müller decided to search for the underlying causes. To do so, he built up an interdisciplinary team of researchers from TU Dresden, TU Munich and the University of Zurich.

The first task was to clarify whether there was actually much more insect biomass than usual in 2022. This was confirmed: "We found a biomass that was almost as high on average as the maximum values from the Hallmann study. And our 2022 maximum was higher than all values Hallmann had ever determined -- this value, by the way, comes from the forest of the University of Würzburg," says the JMU professor.

Data From the Hallmann Study re-analysed

This observation prompted the researchers to re-analyse the data from the Hallmann study. Newly prepared weather data was incorporated, including information on temperatures and precipitation during sampling. Weather anomalies (deviations from the long-term mean) during the different phases of an insect's life -- from egg to larva, pupa and adult -- were also taken into account.

advertisement
The scientists found that for the years from 2005 onwards, weather influences were predominantly negative for insects. Sometimes the winter was too warm and dry; sometimes the spring or summer was too cold and wet. In contrast, the weather in 2022 was consistently favourable for insects, and even the previous summer was good. Consequently, this explained the relatively high insect biomass of 2022.

Consequences for the Future

"We need to be much more aware that climate change is already a major driver of the decline of insect populations. This needs to be thought about much more in science and conservation practice," says Annette Menzel, professor of ecoclimatology of the Technical University of Munich.

To mitigate the extinction risk of threatened species under these conditions, more high-quality habitats are needed. Therefore, current efforts to protect insects are even more urgent than previously thought. This common task affects agriculture as well as traffic and settlement areas -- in other words, all areas where high-quality habitats are reduced or impaired.

JMU professor Jörg Müller also suggests establishing a biomass monitoring system for the whole of Germany. This would make it possible to continuously measure the upward and downward trends of insect populations and include them in further analyses.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2023/09/230927154854.htm

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: October 15, 2023, 06:32:37 PM »
Warming and habitat loss shrink pollinator numbers. That may hit coffee, cocoa crops hard in future

Changes in the climate and land use are combining to dramatically shrink the numbers of insects pollinating key tropical crops. As those problems interwine and intensify, it likely will hit coffee lovers right in the mug, according to a new study.

And that one-two punch will melt some chocolate fans' dreams too, scientists said.

Scientists looked at thousands of species and sites and found when temperatures warmed up beyond the normal range combined with a shrinking habitat of flowering plants, the number of insects that pollinate those plants plummets by 61%, according to a study in Thursday's Science Advances. Study authors said bees, flies, moths and other pollinators are being hit harder than the general insect population.

"We're seeing the climate change is already having this really strong impact on pollinators," said study co-author Tim Newbold, an ecologist at the University College of London.

About 35% of the world's food crop and three-quarters of flowering plants depend on insect and other animal pollinators to reproduce, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

And the study found the pollinator loss problem is bigger in the tropics, a region other research hasn't focused on as much. The countries most at risk of crop loss from dwindling pollinators are China, India, Indonesia, Brazil and the Philippines with sub-Saharan Africa also in danger, especially its cocoa and mango crops, the study said.

Taking what's already happened, researchers said this bodes badly for key tropical crops, especially coffee and cocoa. Those plants rely on bees and flies to help them reproduce and fewer pollinators mean reduced crops, study authors said.

Previous studies have shown that insects are dwindling for several reasons, including climate change and habitat loss, and other studies have shown shrinking number of pollinators, and yet more have shown coffee and cocoa plants themselves are hurt by the interaction. But the sum of all that is even worse than just the parts, study authors said.

What makes this study special is that it has a focus on the tropics that other insect studies haven't had, said University of Delaware entomologist Douglas Tallamy, who wasn't part of the research.

"We're not paying enough attention to the tropics," Tallamy said. "They are important."

Newbold said pollinating insects in the tropics are likely hit harder than other places because the bugs are already near their temperature limits and insects in temperate areas are more adapted to large temperature swings and they aren't in the tropics.

"Massive warming in the tropics is pushing those species over the edge," Newbold said.

https://phys.org/news/2023-10-habitat-loss-pollinator-coffee-cocoa.html