Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Climate Mobilization - Getting to Zero Emissions in 8 Years  (Read 2337 times)

jai mitchell

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 208
  • Likes Given: 61
Climate Mobilization - Getting to Zero Emissions in 8 Years
« on: December 20, 2017, 01:47:36 AM »
This group advocates for a response to the climate emergency that is on scale with the massive effort required to prevent civilization collapse.  They just released 8 demonstration plans for U.S. cities which are pretty much the same policies and technologies but applied to different populations that have different availability of renewable energy resources.

The 36 page plans demonstrate how specific policies and technologies to reduce emissions have been done in other states and countries.  It also promotes urban regenerative agriculture as a way to help sequester greenhouse gasses and increase local resiliency. 

There is a lot of stuff in these documents, a lot of activities and technologies that work together and will fundamentally change the look and feel of a city that adopts such a plan.   I do not understand all of the complex interactions and synergies that something like this can produce.  The biggest unknown in my mind is how a local citizenry will respond when they see their government taking on this level of activity, the inherent local economic benefits that green jobs, manufacturing and the replacement of imported gasoline and natural gas with locally-generated solar and wind power.

I wonder how, for example, the rapid reduction in private vehicle ownership and the development of 'park and charge' lots in cities for electric vehicles will reduce street-level parking in cities?  Do they simply expand the lanes for cars? Or do they put in functional bike and walk paths? both?  What happens when a local city government finances a 'green bank' and the entire city decides that they want to divest their mortgages away from banks that fund oil and gas pipelines?

Anyway,  something new.  I don't think I have seen anything else like these plans out there to date.

check it out here:  https://www.theclimatemobilization.org/implementation-plans

Haiku of Futures Passed
My "burning embers"
are not tri-color bar graphs
+3C today

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Climate Mobilization - Getting to Zero Emissions in 8 Years
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 05:20:34 AM »
I cant find anything about costs or financing in these plans ? I went thru the boston, atlanta and st louis plans but saw no estimates. perhaps i'm missing something on their web site ?

sidd

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 894
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 03:49:35 PM »
Anyway,  something new.  I don't think I have seen anything else like these plans out there to date.

Have you seen Zero Carbon Britain?

http://www.zerocarbonbritain.org/en/

After merely a quick scan it appears as if The Climate Mobilization has not?

"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

jai mitchell

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 05:22:12 PM »

Have you seen Zero Carbon Britain?

http://www.zerocarbonbritain.org/en/

After merely a quick scan it appears as if The Climate Mobilization has not?

I don't know, they don't have a reference to the group in the document.  I guess the thing I was noting was the specific implementation 'hows' not just the 'whats' like, developing a green roof/solar roof program and including EV chargers and building electrification with the energy efficiency delivery program. 
Haiku of Futures Passed
My "burning embers"
+3C today

jai mitchell

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 05:14:01 AM »
I cant find anything about costs or financing in these plans ? I went thru the boston, atlanta and st louis plans but saw no estimates. perhaps i'm missing something on their web site ?

sidd

It looks like they are calling on state legislators to provide funding for financing energy efficiency and renewable energy developments, also using a local green bank and, i think, requiring the utility company to buy the solar energy generated on local rooftops.
Haiku of Futures Passed
My "burning embers"
+3C today