Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: 2018 sea ice area and extent data  (Read 843212 times)

Shared Humanity

Re: 2018 sea ice area and extent data
« Reply #150 on: February 18, 2018, 04:13:13 PM »
If this were a Democracy and I had a vote, I'd vote remove them.

Shared Humanity

« Reply #151 on: February 18, 2018, 05:10:24 PM »
If you look at the behavior of ice extent growth in the latter part of the freeze season over the past 5 years, there is a pronounced, step wise trend downward. Likely the result of our rapidly warming Arctic winters?

harpy

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 104
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #152 on: February 18, 2018, 05:27:59 PM »
If you look at the behavior of ice extent growth in the latter part of the freeze season over the past 5 years, there is a pronounced, step wise trend downward. Likely the result of our rapidly warming Arctic winters?

Looks exponential (relative to 1980s and 1990s levels). 

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #153 on: February 19, 2018, 07:04:25 PM »
“So it goes - yet another anomalous winter in the #Arctic. Total sea ice extent remains at a record low (satellite era) and nearly 1.5 million km^2 below average [@NSIDC data] ”
https://twitter.com/ZLabe/status/965606352969072640
Image below.
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Hautbois

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 44
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #154 on: February 19, 2018, 11:24:48 PM »
A 2018 edition of the graph I put out a few times last year. The black dots are the maxima for previous years (timing and extent); the grey area is the extent range for each day. I'll update from time to time to the end of March.

(PS I've changed my pseudonym from deeenngee to Hautbois. A bit less cumbersome, if a bit more pretentious!)

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #155 on: February 19, 2018, 11:53:58 PM »
I remember that graph! Thanks for posting it again, and welcome back.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

harpy

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 20, 2018, 12:58:06 AM »
“So it goes - yet another anomalous winter in the #Arctic. Total sea ice extent remains at a record low (satellite era) and nearly 1.5 million km^2 below average [@NSIDC data] ”
https://twitter.com/ZLabe/status/965606352969072640
Image below.

Honestly, this graph would be much more depressing if we had data from 1750-1850.  It looks bad compared to 1980-2010.  Compared to 1750-1850 - one can only use their imagination.

Phil.

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 76
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #157 on: February 20, 2018, 01:06:16 AM »
A 2018 edition of the graph I put out a few times last year. The black dots are the maxima for previous years (timing and extent); the grey area is the extent range for each day. I'll update from time to time to the end of March.

(PS I've changed my pseudonym from deeenngee to Hautbois. A bit less cumbersome, if a bit more pretentious!)

Interesting is the range 2sd or something else?
I don't think using the name of a musical instrument is pretentious at all!

Ice Shieldz

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 59
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #158 on: February 20, 2018, 01:41:59 AM »
Honestly, this graph would be much more depressing if we had data from 1750-1850.  It looks bad compared to 1980-2010.  Compared to 1750-1850 - one can only use their imagination.

It would probably look less bad compared to 1750-1850.

There are enough indicators of how poor arctic sea ice is doing. Extent is just one of them. The drop in the amount of multiyear ice is perhaps even more alarming than extent. The MYI graph below is Jan 1999 to Jan 2017. Given recent data shared by A-Team, the amount of MYI is probably now even less than 2017.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 02:03:37 AM by Ice Shieldz »

harpy

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 20, 2018, 02:05:27 AM »

Actually it would probably look less bad compared to 1750-1850.

There are enough indicators of how poor arctic sea ice is doing. Extent is just one of them. The drop in the amount of multiyear ice is perhaps even more alarming than extent. The MYI graph below is Jan 1999 to Jan 2017. Given recent data shared by A-Team, the amount of MYI is probably now even less than 2017.

Interesting. 

It's difficult to comprehend that multi year ice has dropped by more than 50% in just 18 years.

jdallen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 650
  • Likes Given: 244
« Reply #160 on: February 20, 2018, 02:21:58 AM »

Actually it would probably look less bad compared to 1750-1850.

Interesting. 

It's difficult to comprehend that multi year ice has dropped by more than 50% in just 18 years.
3+ year old MYI has dropped by *90%*...
This space for Rent.

Hautbois

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 20, 2018, 09:18:06 AM »

Interesting is the range 2sd or something else?

To clarify: it's simply the difference, for each day (not including 2018), between the lowest extent and the greatest extent.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #162 on: February 20, 2018, 11:02:22 AM »

Well, in that case, I'm changing my name to Steinway!  ;)

Or Stradivarius.....
The enemy is within

E. Smith

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #163 on: February 20, 2018, 11:19:01 AM »

Or Stradivarius.....

or penny whistle

or triangle
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 20, 2018, 12:10:21 PM »
JAXA back from holiday Arctic Extent as at 19 Feb 2018  13,439,935 km2, on average 26k up over the last three days, now 339k less than 2017 and just 138k less than 2016  on that date. 

24 days (range 11*** to 40), 0.33 million km2, and just 3.3% of average extent gain to go., Average result a record low maximum of 13.77 million km2,  just 110k less than 2017. 7 out of 10 of the previous 10 years still say yes to a record low.

*** In 2015 maximum was reached on 15th Feb, ridiculously early, and then 29 days later extent was down by a paltry 41K, i.e. significant melting did not start early.

One might wonder how the very warm weather at both ends of the CAB has not stopped extent rising. The Okhotsk Sea seems to be the villain of the piece (image below). That sea, next door to The Bering, has been cold just about all the time. With no direct impact on the Arctic Ocean, nevertheless in the freezing thread it has been pointed out that the cold and ice there has been assisting the channelling of warmth and wind into the Bering Strait, helping to cause the rapid decline of Bering Sea ice.

See the last graph below. ( I will be keeping an eye on the Chukchi Sea, showing a slight dip )

magnamentis

« Reply #165 on: February 20, 2018, 01:35:11 PM »

Or Stradivarius.....

those (Stradivarious & Steinway) are brands ;)
Oboe > Violin > Piano it would be then [Just Kidding]

Hautbois

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 20, 2018, 02:20:53 PM »

Or Stradivarius.....

those (Stradivarious & Steinway) are brands ;)
Oboe > Violin > Piano it would be then [Just Kidding]

Ha! Glad to have caused such offtopic hilarity. My oboe was a bit more Skoda than Stradivarius, but it did the job. Anyway, that ice....

uniquorn

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2163
  • Likes Given: 388
« Reply #167 on: February 20, 2018, 03:02:11 PM »
Banjo for me. Vega for the brand.

Okhotsk, Feb13-20.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 20, 2018, 03:37:17 PM »
NSIDC DATA as at 19th Feb

Arctic extent up by 85k to 14.023 million km2. Was the villain of the piece the Okhotsk Sea - offsetting Bering Sea extent loss ? Partly, but not wholly. See table below (daily Extent data from NSIDC)

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #169 on: February 20, 2018, 03:40:43 PM »

Or Stradivarius.....

or penny whistle

or triangle

I claim dibs on "spoons" !!!

Steve

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 20, 2018, 03:58:31 PM »

Or Stradivarius.....

or penny whistle

or triangle

I claim dibs on "spoons" !!!

Steve

Cowbell!  ;D

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 20, 2018, 03:59:47 PM »
Alaska's Bering Sea Lost a Third of Its Ice in Just 8 Days
Globally, sea ice is at record lows as the polar regions warm faster than the rest of the planet. Along the Alaska coast, it's affecting people's lives.
At a time when the sea ice should be growing toward its maximum extent for the year, it's shrinking instead—the area of the Bering Sea covered by ice is now 60 percent below its average from 1981-2010.

"[Bering sea ice] is in a league by itself at this point," said Richard Thoman, the climate science and services manager for the National Weather Service Alaska region. "And looking at the weather over the next week, this value isn't going to go up significantly. It's going to go down." ...
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/17022018/arctic-sea-ice-record-low-extent-alaska-bering-hunting-whales

bbr2314

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 158
  • Likes Given: 53
« Reply #172 on: February 20, 2018, 07:40:40 PM »
NSIDC DATA as at 19th Feb

Arctic extent up by 85k to 14.023 million km2. Was the villain of the piece the Okhotsk Sea - offsetting Bering Sea extent loss ? Partly, but not wholly. See table below (daily Extent data from NSIDC)
I wonder if this is the first time in history that area in Okhotsk has been above both Bering and Chukchi in February? (or any month?)

The trend the past few years has been an outright average expansion of sea ice in Okhotsk, I believe this has to do with the increasing warmth in the peripheral seas which load the Arctic with heat -> result in Siberian snows -> allow colder airmasses to plunge/exist in Okhotsk for longer periods than before.

Now it seems that this development is directly influencing Pacific Warm Water's relationship with the Arctic proper as it combines with the general heat to devastate the Bering, where ice has traditionally been substantially more resilient.

This year, IMO, the contrast between Okhotsk vs. Bering + imminently Chukchi and Beaufort is likely to provoke substantial prolonged 500mb blocking episodes with negative height anomalies over NE Asia (Siberia/Okhotsk) and massive positive heights over the Bering & peripheral seas.

I would imagine this may be substantial enough to dominate the weather pattern well into the summer, with ATL melt relegated to general recurring massive storms, while the Pac front is driven quickly and rapidly into both Beaufort and Chukchi. As this occurs, it is, IMO, likely to result in the dislodging of a substantial freshwater dome/the Arctic halocline, and as Pac warm water advances farther and farther, it is probably going to make a substantial exit toward Labrador.

https://www7320.nrlssc.navy.mil/GLBhycomcice1-12/navo/arcticictn_nowcast_anim30d.gif

Also, if HYCOM is correct, it seems a large proportion of the very thick ice north of Greenland has already been ejected through Nares into Baffin. And the next few days may see this worsen exponentially.

If this is the case, Baffin, Labrador, and Okhotsk are all likely to remain rather more resilient than most recent years. But that won't stop them from melting out entirely by July or August, and likely portends a very dramatic drop when the nearly mid-latitude "inflation" disappears under the summer sun.

I guess the best question to ask moving forward is that if ^ continues is it possible that within a decade or two we see a complete re-organization of Arctic sea ice (i.e. state change concurrent with first blue ocean CAB event) to the point where we end up with actual MYI in Okhotsk, Baffin, and Labrador that endures summer after summer? If general 500MB circulation collapses once the CAB goes and we end up with recurring weather patterns based on accumulations of oceanic heat, land biomes, and elevation, the "stickiness" of 500MB blocking could very be aided by whatever hell breaks loose from the melting Greenland ice sheet to yield a flip-flopping in traditional melt patterns.

Who knows...!

On a final note, technically, due to the extant Greenland ice sheet, we are still in an ice age.

Rolling the below animation, one can't help imagine wondering what the difference between the past 30 days and establishment of a new Canadian ice sheet would be. Would there actually be any difference? Is this in fact how they have been built in the past? Is the only difference between now and then the stability of MYI in the CAB which keeps weather rotating with vigor across the NHEM on a relatively stable basis, thereby resulting in enough sustained summertime warmth that snow does not accumulate year over year?

https://weather.gc.ca/saisons/animation_e.html?id=month&bc=sea

It seems both the Canadian and SE Siberian snowfall anomalies could also be partly to blame on the blazing oceanic SSTs to their SE. The Gulf Stream has shifted substantially north, and its waters now encroach directly onto southern Nova Scotia. The same seems to be happening in the NE Pacific, where there is a near 100% absence in Siberian-adjacent sea ice this year, despite the blues and purples of the snowfall anomaly map.

If accumulations of oceanic heat are all that's necessary for the current anomalous increase in snowcover and are seemingly sufficient to dwarf the impact of atmospheric CO2 to date, rolling the clock forward another 5-10 years could paint an image out of the Younger Dryas. Coincidentally, it is about the same time it took for that to happen as well.

I guess we will have to revisit this topic in 2025 :)

« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 07:49:15 PM by bbr2314 »

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 20, 2018, 07:51:40 PM »
Watching winter sea ice used to be a bit boring. I don't remember a February like this, not even last year - a record low but not all this movement, fracturing and general - whatever.

uniquorn

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 20, 2018, 08:04:05 PM »
to the point where we end up with actual MYI in Okhotsk, Baffin, and Labrador

Interesting idea, but a lot of the Okhotsk ice looks very weak to me.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #175 on: February 20, 2018, 09:05:41 PM »
I expect, gerontocrat, that A-Team's wonderful gifs (or movies or whatever they are [I feel like a Luddite after looking at an A-Team post]) show movement that has been happening in recent years.  Old Arctic HYCOM gifs showed movement (but it was 'all' model, and not nearly so 'real').
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 20, 2018, 09:34:42 PM »
Very true,Sleepy,there is no doubt the new technology is adding a new dimension to observation and study of Arctic ice. But it is not just that to me.

I've been looking at Arctic Sea Ice since about 1991. Winter Sea Ice has always seemed to be the one that matters most, as that ice, when it is gone, is likely to be gone for the rest of my lifetime at least. And up until last year it was to watch a most gradual process.

I started to think back in October 16, that maybe something different was happening - when Antarctic ice started its most unusual decline. Since then we have seen records broken in the Arctic winter and the Antarctic summer on a regular basis. So perhaps something has changed (or perhaps not).

So me, I am waiting for next winter (until I get obsessed about the Arctic summer sometime next week).

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #177 on: February 20, 2018, 10:54:48 PM »
lot of text, some graphs, very little on 2018 sea ice area and extent data

Your comment would fit better in the freezing thread, bbr2314!
The enemy is within

E. Smith

harpy

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 21, 2018, 12:54:02 AM »
Watching winter sea ice used to be a bit boring. I don't remember a February like this, not even last year - a record low but not all this movement, fracturing and general - whatever.

Certainly not boring anymore.  Watching the arctic sea ice extent has gone from boring to horrifying in just a few short years.

Paddy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 153
  • Likes Given: 151
« Reply #179 on: February 21, 2018, 07:30:22 AM »
I also had a look at annual averages for recent years - just to see the decline over time.

How's that simple average of previous 12 months graph looking now? I'm guessing it won't be great over the months ahead...

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: February 21, 2018, 12:59:33 PM »
I also had a look at annual averages for recent years - just to see the decline over time.

How's that simple average of previous 12 months graph looking now? I'm guessing it won't be great over the months ahead...
Looking at the average of the previous 365 days means as a new day is added, the day a year ago is taken out. Then the total s divided by 365 for the new annual average. So if today's extent is 365,000 km2 less than the extent on that date one year ago, the average drops by just 1,000 (one thousand) km2.

It is the sort of graph that takes months for any real change to have a marked effect, and is looking back.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 21, 2018, 01:23:06 PM »
JAXA DATA as at 20th Feb extent 13,479,711 km2, up 125k in three days, despite the Bering Sea retreat and general mayhem

Still 298k less than 2017 on that date, but just 124k less than 2016.

On average, about 3 weeks to go, and a mixture of very warm and very cold Arctic weather predicted. This p.m. will have another look at NSIDC regional data.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 21, 2018, 02:26:07 PM »
NSIDC Arctic Total and some regions data as at 20th Feb

Arctic extent up by just 9k, with losses in Bering and Chukchi sea, and gains in Okhotsk and Baffin Seas. See table

There has been some talk about insolation already impacting these seas. It is Feb 21, one month before the equinox. The table below and graph attached suggests that meaningful insolation will not start for another month.
             Degrees North
Okhotsk        59
Bering Sea    57
Bering Strait  66
Chukchi         69   
Baffin Bay      75
Davis Strait    69 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 02:39:54 PM by gerontocrat »

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #183 on: February 21, 2018, 02:51:20 PM »
Thank you gerontocrat. An amazing stretch of 13 days of negative extent changes.
OT, eyeballing your chart, at Bering latitude insolation is now at about one third of its solstice peak. Not negligible IMO.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 22, 2018, 01:29:30 PM »
JAXA DATA as at 21st Feb extent  13,556,973 km2, up 202k in three days (77k on 21st), despite the Bering Sea retreat and general mayhem

Still 228k less than 2017 on that date, but just 30k less than 2016.

On average, about 3 weeks to go, and a mixture of very warm and very cold Arctic weather predicted. This p.m. will have another look at NSIDC regional data.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 22, 2018, 03:11:47 PM »
NSIDC daily extent at 21 Feb up 54k to  14.086 million km2. Still daily lowest but approaching 2016.

Regional data attached. Note Bering extent continues to fall, Chukchi starting to fall, while Okhotsk and Baffin continue up.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 22, 2018, 04:12:00 PM »
And below are the images matching the above table from the ASI graphs link on the home page of ASIF.

Okhotsk - record highs,
Bering - record lows,
Chukchi - going down far too early.

This extreme contrast seems likely to continue at least to the end of the month.

uniquorn

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 22, 2018, 04:44:42 PM »
Thanks gerontocrat.
Cyclone in Okhotsk today. I won't post the image as it clutters up the data thread. The link should open Worldview for those who are interested.

https://tinyurl.com/ybabo7qu

Nikita

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #188 on: February 23, 2018, 08:46:47 AM »
About zero degrees Celsius at the North Pole

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 23, 2018, 10:08:10 AM »
JAXA DATA as at 22nd Feb extent  13,596,151 km2, up 241k in five days (39 k on 22nd), despite the Bering Sea retreat, extreme temperature anomalies and general mayhem

Now only 216k less than 2017 on that date, and 3k greater than 2016.  No longer does 2018 Arctic Extent plough its lonely furrow for a few days).

« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 02:28:21 PM by gerontocrat »

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 23, 2018, 02:03:42 PM »
NSIDC Regional Daily Extent Data as at 22nd Feb (part)

It continues:-
Okhotsk - heading for a record high,
Bering - record lows,

This extreme contrast seems likely to continue at least for a few more days (?).

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 24, 2018, 11:25:07 AM »
JAXA DATA as at 23rd Feb : Extent  13,662,634 km2, up 307 k in six days (66k on 23rd), despite the Bering Sea retreat and general mayhem

Just 136k less than 2017 on that date, but 33k greater than 2016.

On average, just 20 days (min 7, max 36), 0.28 million, 2.8% of extent gain to go. Average result is 13.94 million km2, 60,000 greater than the 2017 record low max.

Does this mean that 2018 ice is in better shape than 2017 for the melting season? I think not. The mayhem currently underway suggests that while extent may be greater, the ice is in a mess and already dispersed and fractured to a extreme degree. After the ridiculous warmth at the pole happening now and until Sunday, that warmth moves around. See last image (6 days ahead)

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 24, 2018, 02:42:03 PM »
NSIDC Regional Daily Extent Data as at 23rd Feb (part)

It continues:-
Okhotsk - heading for a record high,
Bering - record lows,
Baffin -  expanding

This contrast seems likely to continue at least for a few more days (?).

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 185
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #193 on: February 24, 2018, 05:22:04 PM »
On Ventusky it looks like it's going to get a little colder the next week. That could maybe put some extra ice on Bering and Baffin. But probably it will stay thin, it's already pretty late . And with okhotsk further South, that's plenty of ice that could be gone fast.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #194 on: February 24, 2018, 11:57:41 PM »
16 straight days of losses for Bering on NSIDC, down 55% from peak. In February. Will it stop?

Coffee Drinker

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #195 on: February 25, 2018, 02:59:00 AM »
Is there a reason why the Baltic sea is not included in Arctic sea ice while Okhotsk is?

DavidR

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 36
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #196 on: February 25, 2018, 03:22:07 AM »
16 straight days of losses for Bering on NSIDC, down 55% from peak. In February. Will it stop?
According to Wipneus's figures it just did:
https://sites.google.com/site/arctischepinguin/home/amsr2/grf/amsr2-extent-regional.png
As did the rises in Okhotsk, Baffin, St Lawrence and Barents. Of course it may all just  be a temporary reversal.
Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #197 on: February 25, 2018, 03:47:08 AM »
Baltic not included most likely because it is covered by relatively fresh water. See recent posts.
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

Juan C. García

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1279
  • Likes Given: 1127
« Reply #198 on: February 25, 2018, 05:57:23 AM »
ADS JAXA: On Feb 24: 13.64M km2, a small but significant drop of 19.2K km2:o
2018 is breaking the record again.
2018 is 136.7K km2 under 2016 (second on record).
Which is the best answer to Sep-2012 ASI lost (compared to 1979-2000)?
50% [NSIDC Extent] or
73% [PIOMAS Volume]

Volume is harder to measure than extent, but 3-dimensional space is real, 2D's hide ~50% thickness gone.
-> IPCC/NSIDC trends [based on extent] underestimate the real speed of ASI lost.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 25, 2018, 10:30:56 AM »
According to Wipneus's figures it just did:
https://sites.google.com/site/arctischepinguin/home/amsr2/grf/amsr2-extent-regional.png
As did the rises in Okhotsk, Baffin, St Lawrence and Barents. Of course it may all just  be a temporary reversal.
Daily extent data from NSIDC said it didn't while the graphs said it did. Perhaps the graphs come from the NSIDC 5-day average data ?
Time will tell.