Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Automated Sea Ice Products  (Read 2688 times)

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
Automated Sea Ice Products
« on: January 11, 2018, 12:13:55 AM »
I just saw this video on the NBC news website about the DMI investing 1 million USD to create ASIP (automated sea ice products) using artificial intelligence. I've always thought that something like this would be great for IMS/MASIE, to replace the human analysts, whilst looking at various sources and not just passive microwave data. Especially now with all the Sentinel stuff. IMS/MASIE is the most precise of all daily sea ice extent products, but due to the human factor and changes in sources over time long-time series are unreliable/inconsistent.

Would it be possible, once the AI is really good at performing the job, to go back and look and past satellite data from as many sources as possible and construct a new continuous dataset? That could perhaps be the solution to the problems with the DMSP satellites and a possible break in the longest running dataset of Arctic sea ice cover we have.

I've attached the video below, but I'm not sure it'll play (18.8 MB is a bit much perhaps). If it doesn't play, click the link above.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Automated Sea Ice Products
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 02:52:58 AM »
Plays well with beautiful video, and an interesting concept.
The first benign use for AI that I've heard of recently.
Terry

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
Re: Automated Sea Ice Products
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 04:59:13 PM »
Didn't know where to put this...
from Oceans Deeply (March 14, 2018)
New data will help make such improvement goals a reality. NASA’s long-planned IceSat-2 satellite is expected to launch later this year to gather three-dimensional information on the thickness of sea ice – something that has long evaded forecasters. The new polar-orbiting satellite NOAA-20, which launched in November 2017, is also gathering critical sea ice information, providing observations down to less than a quarter-mile (0.4km) resolution. It can use moonlight to observe what the sea ice is doing at night.

Ultimately, the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) intends to add sea ice prediction to the overhaul of the U.S.’ current worldwide weather forecasting model, which makes predictions up to 16 days into the future. By including sea ice, which impacts global weather patterns, the nation is highlighting the importance of understanding how and where ice moves.

While sea ice forecasting has seen and will continue to see considerable advances, not all people are even able to use existing forecasts. The Sea Ice Prediction Network was created in 2013 and has been facilitating discussions and workshops between forecasters and users around the world over the past four years to determine how science can better serve the public.

Edit:  I see gerontocrat posted similar news here.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 05:08:06 PM by Tor Bejnar »
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"