Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Best ICE Electrical Hybrid Which Has Plug in Option  (Read 1645 times)

FrostKing70

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 50
  • Likes Given: 14
Best ICE Electrical Hybrid Which Has Plug in Option
« on: February 13, 2018, 06:25:57 PM »
My vehicle is close to 10 years old, and I plan to replace it in the foreseeable future.  I travel enough that a straight hybrid does not have the range for some of my trips, but would likely be enough for most trips.

In your opinion, what is the best ICE / hybrid with a plug in option that is currently available or will be available in the next 12 months, and why did you choose that vehicle?   

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
Re: Best ICE Electrical Hybrid Which Has Plug in Option
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 06:57:59 PM »
I've also been looking at plug-in hybrids for a while now (used, though). Aesthetically the Prius 3 appeals more to me than the Prius 4, but the latter has double the charge, of course (8.8 vs 4.4 kWh). Prius is renowned for its robustness, low maintenance, etc. Other than that the Hyundai Ioniq looks interesting. I don't know what else there is on the US market, assuming you're from the US.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 07:59:31 PM »
 U.S. market:

If by chance you are looking for a plug-in minivan, the Chrysler Pacifica plug-in hybrid has gotten good reviews. Inside EV‘s has a blurb on its difficult launch – – scroll down just past the Tesla write-ups:
https://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/
(The models in bold in the 2018 table are pure electric.)

And here’s Electrek’s early review, with lots of photos:  https://electrek.co/2016/01/11/chrysler-unveils-2017-pacifica-minivan-plug-in-hybrid-30-range-electric/

The Toyota Prius Prime has gotten disappointing reviews; it goes into gas mode more often than clean driving would suggest it should.

The Chevy Volt is still very well regarded.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

sedziobs

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 63
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 08:28:15 PM »
I'm looking for a plug-in to serve as a family car. I think the best I have come across is the Kia Niro PHEV. It has a 26 mile battery range, enough to cover most local trips.  Then it gets 46 mpg combined for longer trips.

A larger option is the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, with 22 electric miles and 25 mpg.

Both start at around $25K after federal tax credit. 

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 09:10:07 PM »
toyota makes a plugin prius ... 25 miles battery range 8.8 Kwh

sidd